A's

Abel, William P., was born in Prussia, Germany, September 23, 1826, son of William and Catherine Abel, who settled in Montgomery county, N.Y. in 1834. William P. came to Oneida county in 1857. In 1849 he married Marie Keiner, by whom he had three children: Almira Tremain, Mary E. Kent; and Nettie Peckham, all of whom are natives of Oneida county. Mr. Abel started in life as a farmer, which business he has always followed to the present time, and is also an apiarist, having about seventy swarms of bees. He has been assessor of the town, also trustee of the school and cemetery.
p. 3, Wager's Our County and Its People, Part III



John W. Abbott was born in the town of Annsville, July 12, 1818, and is a descendant of Peter Abbott, who was born in Connecticut and came to this town in 1806, being among the very first settlers. Peter Abbott, father of John W., married Sophia, daughter of John Spinning, by whom he had two children: Betsey, deceased, and John W., who received his education in the district schools, after which he engaged in farming. The Spinning family emigrated from Massachusetts to the town of Lee, Oneida county, in 1795, thence to the town of Florence in 1805, where they remained until death. They were among the five families to whom Gerrit Smith gave fifty acres of land each. John W. Abbott married Minerva Wetherbee of Annsville, by whom he had eight children, four of whom are living: Frank L., Sophia, Ann and Jennie B. Mrs. Abbott died August 1, 1868. Mr. Abbott is a Democrat in politics and has been assessor of the town for seven years and commissioner three years.
Our County and its People, a Descriptive Work on Oneida County, New York, edited by Daniel E. Wager, 1896
Kathy Last


Adkins, F. A. was born in Otsego County, June 5, 1851.  He followed railroading for twenty years on the New York Central, holding every position from brakeman to conductor.  Six years ago he purchased the Junction House at Richfield Junction, and has since conducted it with great success.  In 1878 he married Emma Matteson, by whom he has three children: Frank, Linden and Raymond.  Mr. Adkins's, Emery Adkins, was for years connected with the hotel business in this county, being at one time proprietor of the old Sherman House in Utica.  His mother, Anna (Talbot) Adkins, is still living and resides in Chicago.  Mr. Adkins has a model little hotel, admirably conducted and capable of accommodating twenty guests.  He is a member of the Masonic Lodge No. 581.
Our County and its People, a Descriptive Work on Oneida County, New York, edited by Daniel E. Wager, 1896


ALLISON, WILLIAM E. (p. 325)
Allison, William E., was born in Illinois, January 9, 1862, son of William and Emeline Allison.  William Allison has always been engaged in the commercial business, and he resides in Rome, N.Y.  William E. was educated at Clinton Grammar School, after which he engaged in manufacturing, conducting a knitting mill business for five years, then engaged in the grocery business, and later in the electric business, and then organized a knitting mills company in Oriskany.  He afterwards sold out and started as a florist, and although he started this business in a small way, he has now a large and constantly increasing business.  He raises specialties in plants which he ships to the wholesale trade throughout the entire country.  He married Adah, daughter of S.W. Baker, by who he has one son, Seward W. Allison.  Mr. Allison belongs to the Episcopal church, and Mrs. Allison is a member of the Presbyterian church at Oriskany.
"Our County and its People, a Decriptive Work on Oneida County, New York", edited by Daniel E. Wager, 1896


Armbrust, John, wsa born in Ebenezer, Erie County, NY, January 12, 1869, son of John and Charlotte (Landefeld) Armbrust.  In 1889 he came to Sauquoit and engaged in the butter and cheese business and is superintendent of the Sauquoit milk station, where they ship from 100 to 125 cans of milk daily, and make 500 pounds of high grade butter each week.  In 1892 he married Ada E. Cress.  Mr. Armbrust is an enterprising and progressive young business man, and the industry he represents so ably is an important factor in the business life in this part of the county.
Our County and its People, a Descriptive Work on Oneida County, New York, edited by Daniel E. Wager, 1896


Anderson, Abram J., eldest son of this family, was born at Rome October 9, 1838. He had but brief opportunities for education, and left home at twenty to secure a home in the west. In August, 1858, he arrived in Zumbro and at once purchased one hundred and twenty acres on section 18. Four years later he sold this and settled where he now dwells, on section 19. Here he has one hundred and twenty acres, besides twenty acres timber in Mazeppa, a quarter-section in LacQui Parle county, and two lots in the village of Appleton. He was member of the board of supervisors in 1865, 1868-9, and chairman of that body in 1870-1-2-3-4-5-6-7. Politically he is a democrat. September 23, 1873, he was united in
matrimony to Miss Melvina Mitchell, who was born in Sangerville, Maine; her parents-Joseph S. and Lovina Mitchell-were of Irish and English origin. Mrs. Anderson is a Universalist, but her husband has no particular religious views-although not an atheist. Their children were born as follows: Mott M., July 20, 1874; Blanche E., March 24, 1876; Lynn R., July 12, 1880; Jesse S., August 6, 1882.
1884 book, "History of Wabasha County, MN."


William H. Anderson, proprietor of the Anderson House, at Wabasha, and one of the city's leading citizens, is doing his share toward the general prosperity of the community by conducting an excellent hotel, which by its hospitality and service creates in the minds of strangers a most excellent impression of the whole community.  He was born in Rome Township, Oneida County, N.Y., March 12, 1846, son of Levi and Harriett (Carpenter) Anderson.  His father dying when he was 12 years, leaving a large family, young William H. went to work when he was 14 and contributed his earning toward the family support.  In 1866 he came west and reached Rochester by rail. From there he set out on foot for Wabasha County, and for several years worked as a farm hand in Zumbro Township.  In 1867 he purchased 80 acres of wild land, four miles southeast of Zumbro Falls.  He built a small board house, and set to work with a will to clear and develop a good farm.  To his original tract he added a 160-acre tract and a 40-acre one, making in all a place of 280 acres  In addition to his farming operations, Mr. Anderson made a specialty for many year of buying and shipping cattle.  In 1896 he retired from farm work and bought the old hotel at Mazeppa, in this county.  In 1900 he moved the old building, and on the site erected the present commodious brick-veneered building.  In 1913 he sold out, and purchased the old Hurd house in Wabasha, a pioneer hostelry which had been erected in 1855 by B. F. Hurd, and enlarged and remodeled some years ago by Mr. Hurd's son-in-law, Ziba Goss.  This hotel, Mr. Anderson has since conducted, ably assisted by his wife and daughters.  He changed the name to the Anderson House, and wrought many improvements and alterations.  He is genial, competent man, of wide acquaintance, and is highly regarded by the traveling public of the Northwest, as well as by the citizens of his own city.  In 1915, desiring to establish for his family a home life which even the excellent hotel conditions could not entirely furnish, he erected across from the hotel, one of the most beautiful residences in the city.  It is delightfully situated in the picturesque grounds on the banks of the Mississippi, and is of much architectural beauty wrought in tile and stucco.  The furnishings are tasteful and restful throughout.  He and his family find peace and contentment away from the strenuous duties of the hotel management, and here, in future years, he and his wife plan to spend their declining days.  Mr. Anderson was married in 1885 to Ida Hoffman, of Zumbro Township and this union has been blessed with four children: Ora, Verna, Belle and Effie.  Ora died in childhood.  Verna married Joseph McCaffery and has two children, Jean Elizabeth and Ann.  Mr. McCaffery for the past 14 years has been in the railroad mail service on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, between St. Paul and Chicago.  He and his wife live two blocks from the hotel.  The daughters of Mr. Anderson have been given unusual educational advantages, not only in the Wabasha County schools, but also in the College of St. Teresa in Winona.  Mr. Anderson has been unusually fortunate in his family life.  His was has been a true helpmeet in all his endeavors, and now takes entire charge of the hotel kitchen.  The daughters are competent business mangers thoroughly versed in all departments of hotel management, in the kitchen, dining room, guest rooms and office.  All are interested in church work.  Mrs. Anderson and the Misses Belle and Effie are members of the Episcopal church, while Mr and Mrs. McCaffery are members of the Catholic church.  Levi and Harriett (Carpenter) Anderson, parents of William H. Anderson, were natives of this country, of Scotch descent.  They were married in Oneida County, N. Y.  There Levi Anderson died in 1858.  His widow later came west and died in Wabasha County.  In the family were seven children, four sons and three daughters: William H., Abram J., Fairfax and Welcome, Minica, Betsy and Phoebe.  Abram J. lives in Wabasha County; Fairfax in Carrington, N. D.; and Welcome in Edgerly, N. D., all being prosperous farmers.  Minica died in young womanhood.  Betsy lives in Sacred Heart, Minn., and is the wife of D. H. Day.  Phoebe is the wife of H. W. McGeorge of Washington D. C.  The Anderson House, in Wabasha, owned and managed by William H. Anderson and his family is a hotel widely known for its excellence.  It is well situated and provides most excellent accommodations in every department.  Aside from the office, reception rooms, parlors and dining rooms, it has 45 sleeping rooms is well equipped in the way of baths and the like, and everything possible is done for the comfort of the guests."
Biography: History of Wabasha County, Minnesota, 1920 an update to the 1884 History of Wabasha County published by H H Hill & Co.


Anderson, Welcome Wallace, farmer, Zumbro, is a son of Levi and Harriet (Carpenter) Anderson, of New York, and was born at Rome, that state, June 3, 1851. His youth was passed on a farm there, with little opportunity for eduction. He is a man of natural endowments, and is a good citizen; politically, a democrat. For six years he has served as town constable, making an efficient officer, and has several times captured offenders where others had failed. He came to this town in 1866, and was several years employed as a farm laborer. In 1875 he bought forty acres on section 18, where his home is, and four
years later bought eighty more. He is now comfortably situated on a fine farm. October 12, 1873, he married Ellen C. Pryor, whose parentage is elsewhere shown. The births of their children is here given: Lessie May, November 24, 1874; Wallace Welcome, May 7, 1877; Edith E., January 25, 1879; Harriet C., January 29, 1881.
History of Wabasha County, Minnesota


Alsheimer, John G., was born June 10, 1855, in Marcy, Oneida county, and is a son of John G. Alsheimer, Sr., who was born in Germany, came to America about 1853, and finally died in Utica April 29, 1894, aged sixty-two. He was a farmer and contractor. John G. Alsheimer, the subject of this sketch, was educated in the public schools and the Utica Business College, from which he was graduated. He first engaged in various employments. In 1877 he started a grocery business, which he successfully continued until May, 1896. He is a member of the C.M.B.A., and of St. Joseph's Benevolent Society. In 1877 he married Mary M., daughter of Andrew J. Muringer, of Utica, and they had three children: Mary M., William, and one who died in infancy.
Our County and its People


Austin, Samuel, was born in Poundridge, Westchester county, N.Y., September 9, 1836, son of Henry and Matilda (Avery) Austin, and is of English descent. He was reared in his native county, educated in the common schools, and served an apprenticeship at the wheelwright and machinist trade in Norwalk, Conn. In 1855 he came to Western, where he worked at his trade up to 1864, when he purchased the farm where he now resides, and has since been engaged in farming. In 1858, he married Sarah, daughter of Wolcott and Anna (Teller) Dillenbeck, of Western, by whom he had five children, one of whom survives: Anna A. Mr. Austin is a member of the F. & A.M., and has been commissioner of highways of Western for two years. In politics he is a Democrat.
Our County and its People


ELI AVERY Member of the Assembly in 1862
Mr. Avery is a native of the town of New Hartford, Oneida county, N.Y., and is fifty-three years of age.  He is of Yankee descent, both his paternal and maternal ancestors having emigrated to this state from New England.  His educational advantages were only such as the common schools of his native place afforded, and his occupation has always been that of farming.  He is a gentleman of respectability and influence in the community where he resides, and was chosen a member of the Assembly by a majority of upwards of thirteen hundred.  He was not one of the noticeable members of the House, but nevertheless was always punctual and straight-forward in the discharge of his duties.
From BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES of the STATE OFFICERS and MEMBERS OF THE LEGISLATURE of the STATE OF NEW YORK  In 1862 and '63 By Wm. D. MURPHY Printed in Albany for the Author 1863 pages 35-37
Sheila Hoffman shoff@borg.com