G's

Joshua Judson Gilbert
In the first decade of the century, when the present city of utica was a growing village, John Gilbert, an Englishman, settled in Oneida county and erected a starch factory just outside the western boundary of the city limits.  Here shortly afterwards, in the year 1807, he was joined by his brother, Edward Gilbert, the father of the subject of this biography.  The family was already identified with the industry which the brothers carried on at Utica, an elder brother having some time previously commenced the
business of starch-making at Jersey City, N.J.  Edward Gilbert, who was born in London, England, in April, 1787, came to this country in 1794, and resided with his brother's family in New Jersey up to the time that he joined his brother John in Utica.  His wife was Anne Maddock, the daughter of Roger Worthington Maddock and Sarah Harwood, his wife, of Birches,
England, at which place Mrs. Gilbert was born in the same year and month as her husband.
On the 15th of September, 1866, Edward Gilbert, who was then residing at Lewisberg, Pa., with his daughter, Mrs. Justin Loomis, died, survived by five children, John M. and Colgate Gilbert, of Buffalo, N.Y., Joshua J., Mrs. Andrew Tembroek, of Ann Arbor, Mich., and Mrs. Loomis, above referred to.
Joshua Judson Gilbert was born at Utica on the 4th day of September, 1821.  His education received at the Utica Academy, a well-known educational institution of those days, and soon after his graduation he went to Buffalo, where, with his brothers, he was engaged for four years in the manufacture of soap.  Returning to Utica, he remained with his father until 1854, when he decided upon Little Falls as an excellent point for the erection of works for the manufacture of starch, and coming to Little Falls
in that year, he remained a resident until his death, which occurred on February 5, 1881.
[There is much more about Joshua, but little that pertains directly to Oneida county]
History of Herkimer County, New York," by George A. Hardin, Syracuse, N.Y, D. Mason & Co., publishers, 1893.
Lisa Slaski



Evan Griffiths (Ty Coch) came from Llanor, North Wales in 1795. He settled at Ty Coch Corners, and in time built a framed house and painted it red, hence the name 'Ty Coch,' or Red House. Until very recent years the house at this place was always painted that color and the name Ty Coch retained. Mr. Griffiths' first wife was Margaret (Peggy), daughter of John Parry, who died within a few years after their arrival here, and is buried on the lot at Ty Coch, only a few rods from the house. For many years the grave was enclosed with a picket fence. Mr. Griffiths' second wife was also a daughter of John Parry.
A Narrative History of Remsen New York including parts of adjoining townships of Steuben and Trenton 1789-1898, by Millard F. Roberts, pub. 1914
Kathy Last