philanthropist and businessman, was born in the town of Otsego, Otsego
County, N.Y., December 21, 1806, son of Daniel and Penelope
Lawrence. He learned the carpenters’ trade, and in 1828 engaged in business
at Utica, where he soon became prominent as a builder. In 1834 he began
the manufacture of lumber, which continued on an extensive scale
until 1865. At that time he organized the Utica, Chenango and Susquehanna
Valley R.R. Company, was made its president and treasurer, and devoted
his attention to the construction of the road which, in 1870, was
leased to the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western R.R. He then spent three
years in travel and on returning to Utica in 1874 gave up his time
to various benevolent enterprises. Mr. Lawrence was a firm supporter of
Roscoe Conkling, and in his interest founded
the Utica “Daily Republican” in 1877. He was a director of the Second
National Bank of Utica and of the Utica and Black River R.R.: was a trustee
and vice-president of the Utica Cemetery Association and was for
many years an earnest member of the Westminster Church. On January 18,
1828, he married Anna G., daughter of Samuel and Ruth E. Skinner.
Their son, Lewis H, died June 17, 1905. Their daughter, Charlotte
A., wife of former Mayor Charles E. Barnard of Utica, died April 15, 1886.
Mr. Lawrence died Sept. 8, 1886. NEW YORK STATE MEN: BIOGRAPHIC STUDIES
AND CHARACTER PORTRAITS, by Frederick S. Hills, Compiler & Editor.
The Argus Company, Albany, N.Y., 1910 p. 42
whose demise occurred in Utica New York on the 25th of June, 1901, was
long and successfully engaged in business here as a wholesale meat merchant.
His birth occurred in Utica New York in September, 1843, his parents being
Erastus and Eliza(Simpson) Lee. The father, who came to this city
from Connecticut first followed farming, but later became a horse dealer.
He was also the proprietor of the old Fifth Ward house. In young
manhood he had wedded Miss Eliza Simpson a member of the early families
of Frankford hill.
When Adrian Lee was a
small boy his parents removed to a farm on Frankford Hill where he spent
his early life. Returning to Utica, he learned the butcher"s trade
and later conducted a market at John and Bleecker streets. Subsequently
he disposed of his retail establishment and embarked in the wholesale trade
exclusively. This was at a time when most dealers did their own slaughtering
and our subjects business soon assumed extensive proportions. During
the last fifteen years of his connection with the meat business he handled
western beef exclusively. For ten years he was the Utica representative
of Nelson Morris and Company, and later represented the Cudahy Packing
company. One year prior to his death he made another change, his
establishment on Main Street becoming known as Omaha packing Company, while
that on Genesse Street was known As the Mohawk Valley Packing Company.
His sons Louis, Alfred, Ambrose and Edward, were associated with him in
the conduct of business. Ambrose is now interested in the horse business.
Mr. Lee had a creditable military
record. In August 1862, he enlisted as a private of the One Hundredth
and Fifty-second New York Volunteer Infantry and was mustered in on the
13th of the following month for three years' service, joining Company K.
After participating is a number of hotly contested engagements and winning
the stripes of second lieutenant he was taken prisoner while in action
near Petersburg, on the 22nd of June, 1864 and was confined in the following
rebel prison; Libby, June 24, to June 29; prisoners' stockade at Macon,
Georgia, July 9 to August 1st; prisoners' stockade at Savannah, Georgia,
August 2 to September 13; Charleston jail yard, September 13 to October
6; asylum prison yard at Columbia, South Carolina, October 6, 1864, to
February 10, 1865; Charlotte, North Carolina, February 11 to February 21st;
prisoners' stockade at Raleigh, North Carolina, February 22 to February
27. He was then paroled, passing through the lines near Wilmington,
North Carolina on the 1st of March. On the 26th of April he was exchanged
and on the 7th of May, 1865, reported for duty at regimental headquarters
in Richmond, Virginia. After the cessation of hostilities he was
mustered out with the rank of first lieutenant on the 13th of July, 1865,
at Munson Hill.
On the 24th of December,
1867, Mr. was united in marriage to Miss Cornelia Brace, a daughter of
Benjamin and Helen (Miller) Brace, both of whom were representatives of
early families of Oneida County. Benjamin Brace resided on what was
known as Sleighton's bush road and followed farming and carpentering.
In politics Mr.
lee was a stalwart democrat. He served as a member of the board of
supervisors for three terms and acted as one of the charity commissioners
of Utica for two terms. In 1894 he was the candidate of his party,
for sheriff against Van R. Weaver, making a very commendable showing at
the polls. He was a valued member of Bacon Post, No. 53, G.A.R. thus
maintaining pleasant relations with his old army comrades. He was
a genial, jovial disposition and drove about the city with horse and carriage
of his business duties. As the circle of his friends was almost coextensive
with the circle of his acquaintances, his death was the occasion of deep
and sincere regret throughout Utica.
From The HISTORY OF ONEIDA COUNTY, NEW YORK
- From 1700 to the Present Time - ILLUSTRATED - VOLUME II - Chicago - The
S.J. Clarke Publishing Company - 1912 (pages 146-149)
Biographical History of La Crosse, Monroe
and Juneau Counties, Wisconsin. Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company,
1892, pages 302 – 303. Submitted by Arlene Goodwin.
J. H. Lightbody,
La Crosse, Wisconsin.—Few, if any, among those engaged in real estate and
insurance business in this city maintain as high a reputation for integrity
and reliability as Mr. Lightbody, whose office is located at No. 107 North
Fourth street. He was born in Oneida county, New York, July 25, 1840, and
his father, Archibald Lightbody, was a native of Scotland. The mother,
whose maiden name was Angeline Prentiss, was a native also of Oneida county,
New York. Archibald
Lightbody and family came to Wisconsin in
1852, settled in Calumet county, and there the father followed his trade,
that of mechanic. He died in that county in 1873, when sixty-one years
of age. He was a prominent member of the Congregational Church, and the
mother, who is still living and resides in La Crosse, is an esteemed member
of the same. She is now about seventy-four years of age. J. H. Lightbody,
the eldest of five children, commenced business for himself in a printing-office
at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, and the last year was publisher of the Fond
du Lac Commonwealth. After this he spent two years in New York city, in
the mercantile business, closed out in 1871, and then came to Wisconsin,
where he as in the employ of the Singer Manufacturing Company, having charge
of one of their offices at Madison, Watertown and La Crosse. He continued
with this company for fourteen years, and in 1887 engaged in his present
business, which he has followed ever since with good
success. In fire insurance he represents
the United States of New York city, and the Mechanic’s of Philadelphia.
He also deals in real estate, has an extensive business, and has his full
share of the trade.
Mr. Lightbody is married and has four children:
Archie, in the employ of Hodges & Hyde, as stenographer and correspondent;
Herbert, who is employed by Stultz & Schick, as an architect; and Martha
and James, ages respectively nine and four. Mr. and Mrs. Lightbody are
members of the Congregational Church, and in politics the former is a Republican.
(I’m not related to this family)