Rome Citizen Death Notices in 1846

Thanks to Barbara Andresen for sending this in!

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Tuesday, September 15, 1846

SPENCER - The case of Eliphalet M. C. Spencer for the murder of his wife, at Jersey City, on the evening of the 14th of July, 1846, was set down for trial in the Court of Oyer and Terminer, at Bergen, N.J., yesterday morning.  The Court opened at half past 10, when Chief Justice Hornblower announced that, in challenging jurors, he would be govered by the common law.

     For the prosecution there appeared Mr. Browning, of Camden, Attorney General of the State, and J. W. Scuddder, of Jersey City, the "prosecutor of pleas" for Hudson county; David Graham, of this city, J. B. Williamson, of Elizabethtown, and E. B. Wakeman, appeared as counsel for the prisoner.

     On motion of Mr. Williamson, the trial was postponed until this morning on account of the absence of a material witness, C. C. Richardson, a merchant of this city, whose testimony, it was alleged, would throw some light on this dark and bloody transaction.  The presence of the witness must be entirely voluntary as there is no law to compel him to go out of the state, or in a criminal proceeding even to give his affidavit before a commissioner.  It was, however, on his promise of attendance this morning that the motion was granted.

     The court room was crowded with spectators.  The prisoner was dressed in black, wearing a frock coat; he appeared careworn and somewhat emaciated and was apparently much concerned.  Several members of his family were present; his father arrived yesterday morning, and his interview with the prisoner was heart rending in the extreme.  The old gentleman seems quite feeble and nearly distracted.  The uncle, Joshua A. Spencer, of Utica, and the prisoner's sister, with her husbant, Mr. Barrett, of Jamestown, Chautauque county, were also in court.

     Mr. Spencer has no mother or brother, and his only other sister, Mrs. Sheldon, of Cincinnati, has for some time been insane.  The defence will rest on the alleged insanity of the prisoner.  On this point a large number of witnesses will probably be examined.

  A jury will doubtless be empannelled in the course of the day, as the common law principle does not exclude those who may have formed an opinion of the guilt of the accused, provided that opinion has not been founded in malice; nor those who may have conscientious scuples against capital punishment.  (RCSep15/1846)    [see also (RCJul21/1846)-SPENCER]

HALL - At the British American Hotel, in Kingston, on Saturday morning, September  5th, 1846, SARAH, wife of Mr. Francis Hall, senior editor and proprietor of the New York Commercial Advertiser, in the 60th year of her age.
     Mr. and Mrs. Hall were making their annual tour through Canada; and having visited Quebec and Montreal were proceeding to the Falls.  On Monday evening, Mrs. Hall was attacked with a fit of apoplexy, and on Wednesday with a second fit, from which time there was no expectation that she would recover.  (RCSep15/1846)

JOHNSON - At Pendield, Lorain Co., Ohio, on August 30, 1846, SYLVESTER I. JOHNSON, (formerly of Remsen, Oneida County, New York,) aged 57 years.  (RCSep15/1846)

HAMLIN - On the morning of September 2, 1846, in Annsville, New York, at the residence of her Father, Frances M., wife of S. D. Hamlin, of Niagara Falls, in the 30th year of her age.  (RCSep15/1846)

PARDEE - In Vernon, New York, on September 13, 1846, JOSIAH PARDEE, aged 75 years.  (RCSep15/1846)

ROOT - At Vernon, Oneida county, New York, on August 15, 1846, WILLIAM ROOT, Esq., aged 78 years.  The deceased was no ordinary man.  Born in Great Barrington, Mass., he came into the county of his last residence nearly fifty years ago, and was one of the earliest settlers of the town of Vernon.

     Endowed with a strong and well balanced mind, and gifted with a popular address, he was frequesntly honored by his fellow-citizens with important offices, which he filled with great ability and deserved approbation.  In the year 1821, he was chosen a member of Assembly.  In this body he was distinguished by shrewdness and good sense.  Proverbial for his honesty, in him the poor and oppressed found a friend.

     In early life he became attached to the school of Washington, to which he strictly adhered.  In religion, he was pious without noise, and resigned without ostentation; and during a long sickness he was eminently calm and composed, and on the verge of his dissolution, he took an affectionate leave of his family circle, like a traveler bound to a distant country, and without a struggle or a groan, yielded his unclouded spirit to his Maker, in a lively hope of a blessed immortality.  (RCSep15/1846)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Tuesday, September 22, 1846

MILLER - In Rockford, Illinois, on September 5, 1846, after an illness of five weeks, Mr. LUTHER MILLER, aged 75 years.  (RCSep22/1846)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Tuesday, October 13, 1846

WEED - In Vernon, New York, October 2, 1846, Mr. LEVI WEED, in the 74th year of his age.
     His last sickness was exceedingly painful, but he bore it with Christian patience and humble resignation to the will of God.  He was more than 40 years a consistent member of the Church of Christ.  He has left a widow and two daughters to mourn his loss, but they sorrow not as those who have no hope.
     Will the Northern (Lowville) Journal copy?         (RCOct13/1846)

STILLMAN - In Newport, Herkimer county, New York, August 8, 1846, PHEBE JOSEPHINE, infant daughter of Erastus B. and Jolin A. Stillman, aged 4 months and 7 days.  (RCOct13/1846)

SATTERLEE - In Vernon, New York, September 22, 1846, OSCAR ADELBERT, infant son of J. K. and Hannah Satterlee, aged 2 months and nineteen days.  (RCOct13/1846)

WOOD - JOHN WOOD, Esq., Cashier of the Bank of Rome, left his home about the middle of last month, accompanied by his Physician, for the purpose of visiting the seashore to recruit his health, which had for some time past been feeble.  On September 18th, he took passage from New York, in the steamer Massachusetts, or Newport.  He was accompanied on board by his physician, who did not leave him till just as the boat was leaving the wharf.  His family and friends here supposed that he, of course, reached Newport, and was spending some time, with friends of his, who reside there, until the 30th ult., when a letter came to the Post Office here, addressed to John Wood, from the Agent of the Massachusetts, stating that a trunk bearing his name and address, was remaining in the Steamboat Office, and wishing to know what should be done with it.  This, of course, gave the alarm, and William Wood, his brother, left immediately for Newport.
     Mr. William Wood returned home on Saturday last, without being able to learn the least trace of his brother, except that he was seen about the boat during the day, and until near night, and that when the boat reached Newport, no one appeared to claim his trunk.  It is difficult to come to any other conclusion from the circumstances, than that he must have fallen overboard and is drowned.
     Mr. Wood was a man in easy circumstances, and  much respected here by the whole community as a good citizen, a man of stainless integrity, and of fine business talents.  He has a wife and two children, who, we fear, are called to mourn the loss of an affectionate husband and kind father.
     P.S.   Since the above was in type, we learn that Mr. William Wood was informed by the wife of the Captain that his brother was seasick during the evening, and was seen to go to the stern of the boat and vomit.  It is believed that while doing so, he lost his balance and fell overboard.  There now can be no doubt that Mr. Wood found a watery grave in the Sound.  (RCOct13/1846)

HUNTINGTON - Rome, New York.  HENRY HUNTINGTON, this distinguished individual, who has been so long a resident of his village, died on October 15, 1846, at the venerable age of eighty years.  This event was not unexpected, as the deceased had been for several months past, under the influence of severe bodily infirmities, gradually sinking to the grave.

     Few men, not devoted to public life, have been more conspicuous upon the stage of action, or have wielded greater influence in society than Mr. Huntington.  He was born and educated in New England -- in Connecticut we believe.  He prepared himself for the legal profession, but after practicing law for a short time, he relinquished that occupation, and removed to the city of New York.  He remained there for a short time engaged in various business enterprises, and in 1798 removed to the village of Rome.

     His brother George Huntington, who died at this village a few years ago, had located at Rome in 1793.  Fort Stanwix was of course at that time on the frontier of civilization, and surrounded by a vast wilderness.  It occupied however a very importand position -- being the carrying place between the navigable waters of the Mohawk and of Wood Creek.  These sagacious and enterprising brothers perceived its natural advantages, and making it their residence embarked extensively into mercantile business.  For many years they furnished the principal supplies of Merchandize for the whole country north and west of this place.  As merchants they soon acquired not only wealth, but an enviable character for integrity and honorable dealing.

     Mr. Huntington engaged in many business enterprises aside from his merchandizing.  His pecuniary adventures were bold, but characterized by wonderful sagacity, and atended with remarkable success.  He amassed a fortune, probably larger than that possessed by any other individual in this county.

     His character, as connected with his business operations, was a model for imitation, and may be dwelt upon by his friends with the sincerest satisfaction.  No man ever lived, who was more scrupulously exact and upright in all his dealings, or who more rigidly rendered unto others the same justice which he required to be rendered to himself.

     Although Mr. Huntington seems to have preferred the quiet and unobtrusive walks of private life and of business pursuits, to the turmoil of political strife or the responsibilities of public station, he at different times held important offices.  In 1804 he was elected Senator from the western district.  In 1805, while Morgan Lewis was Governor, he was chosen a member of the council of appointment.  He was a member of the Convention which framed the Constitution in 1821.  In 1826, he was run on the same ticket with Governor Clinton for the office of Lieut. Governor but was not elected.  Mr. Hammond in his political history, speaking of the proceedings of the Convention which nominated him, says:  "After some inquiry, it was found that Mr. Henry Huntington, an old and highly respectable citizen of Oneida, and president of the Bank of Utica, had very reluctantly consented to be a candidate.  As soon as it was ascertained that he had yielded such consent, he was nominated with great unanimity.  He was known to be an exceedingly judicious man, of great purity of character, prudent and cautious as a statesman, and liberal toward his political opponents.  His nomination seemed universally acceptable."

     In his political associations Mr. Huntington attached to the republican party, until it divided [my photocopy ends here --transcriber]       (RCOct27/1846)

Barbara Andresen