Rome Citizen Death Notices in 1847

Thanks to Barbara Andresen for sending this in!

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, July 2, 1847

HOUGH - In Boonville, (Alder Creek) on June 20, 1847, of consumption, HULDAH, wife of Hon. Lemuel Hough, aged 64 years.   (RCJul02/1847)

ALLEY - Rev. JOHN ALLEY -- The Watertown Journal publishes the death of this clergyman.  He died at Hamilton, Canada West, on June 5, 1847.  Mr. Alley succeeded the Rev. Mr. Ninde, as Pastor of the Methodist Church in this place.  He was subsequently ordained Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Canada West, where he resided until his death.  (RCJul02/1847)

McKOWN - Death of Col JAMES McKOWN -- The Evening Journal announces the death of Col. J. McKown recorder of the city of Albany, New York.  He died on the morning of Saturday last. (June 26, 1847)  He held the office of Recorder for fifteen years prior to 1838, when he resigned; in 1844 he was again appointed under the administration of Gov. Wright, remained in office till his death.  He was a man of commanding talents, and a sound jurist.  (RCJul02/1847)

BURNS - From the Rochester Daily Democrat - About eleven o'clock on Saturday night (June 26, 1847) the citizens on the east side of the river were shocked with the report that two men had been deliberately shot in a public street, and within a few rods of several shops and taverns which were still open, and in the immediate view of several persons who were passing within three or four rods of the spot when the tragedy occurred.  The circumstances, as near as we can learn them, are substantially as follows: --

     About half past ten o'clock three young men, JOHN BURNS, James Balf and David Malarkey went to aa small red house at the junction of Franklin and Main streets, and within two or three rods of Alexander's tavern, for some purpose which as yet has not been developed. -- The house is occupied  by Thomas Hisam, a young married man, whose sister also resides with him.  Hisam and his wife and sister alledge that the young men threatened violence to them and the house, and they ordered them away.

     Hisam finally took his gun, which appears to have been loaded, (as he says in consequence of their having been there before in a similar manner,) and threatened to shoot them if they did not leave.  They did retire outside the gate into the street, when Hiram deliberately drew up the gun and fired at Burns and Balf, who were standing near, and almost in range of each other.

     Both instantly fell.  On examination it was found that nearly the whole charge of shot entered in and near Burn's right eye, penetrating the brain and rendering him senseless.  When last heard from (one o'clock this morning,) he was thought to be nearly dead, and suffering the most intense agony.  His parents, who were soon called, at the sight of their son, became perfectly frantic. -- It was a horrible and sickening sight.

     Balf received two of the shot, one near the left ear and the other above it, but is believed he is in no danger.  Malarky was standing a short distance from the others and received no injury, although he says Hisam previously struck him with the breach of the gun and threatened to shoot him.

     Hisam,, though he made no attempt to escape, was detained by several citizens until arrested by constables Van Slyck and Bradshaw.  A brief examination was had before Justice Wentworth, which will be resumed this morning.

     The Evening Joural learns by a telegraphic communication, from the office of the Democrat, that Burns has since died, and that Hisam has been examined and committed for murder.  (RCJul02/1847)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, July 9, 1847

EDWARDS - Mr. J. D. EDWARDS, formerly of this city, (Utica, NY) and for some years past a resident of Elizabethtown, N.J., while getting into the railroad cars at Mansfield, on Thursday morning of last week, (July 1, 1847) fell and the train passed over his right arm, which was amputated at the shoulder in the hospital in this city.  His wife and daughter were traveling with him, and witnessed the distressing accident.
     Mr. Edwards did not survive the operation, but died very shortly after.  He was well known as the head of a large oil-cloth factory in Elizabethtown, and leaves many friends to mourn his melancholy death. -- Utica Gazette.   (RCJul09/1847)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, July 16, 1847

CAMPBELL - The Oswego Times says a fine lad, named JOHN CAMPBELL, aged about 5 years, was drowned a few days since on the east side of the river.  The body was found near the Revenue Cutter.  (RCJul16/1847)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, July 23, 1847

STORRS - Mr. SHUBAEL STORRS, an old and respected resident of this city, died very suddenly on Sunday afternoon.  He dropped down dead while in his gardern.  He had been affected some time with a disease of the heart. -- Utica Gazette.      (RCJul23/1847)

NAYLOR - CHARLES NAYLOR, late Member of Congress from Philadelphis, is reported to have died recently in Mexico of brain fever.  He was in command of a Philadelphia company.  This report is contradicted from another source.  (RCJul23/1847)

ROCKWELL - Sad Accident -- A man known as Col. ROCKWELL, aged about 53 years, residing at Eaton, Madison County, New York was thrown from his carriage on Saturday last, (July 17, 1847) at that place, and had his neck broken.  He leaves a wife and ten children to mourn his untimely death.  (RCJul23/1847)

              [another article in same paper follows:]
     Lamentable Occurrence. -- Our fellow townsmen, Col. John M. Rockwell, of Eaton village, came to his death on Saturday afternoon last, in a sudden and melancholy manner.  Having just purchased a horse, he had that afternoon been trying the animal in harness attached to a lumber wagon, and after driving several turns around the village, he started about five o'clock in the direction of his own residence, but had proceeded only a short distance when it is supposed the whippletree became unloosed, and falling against the horse's heels, caused him to spring forward, jerking Col. Rockwell (who probably had a tight grasp on the reins) out of the wagon, striking upon his head with such force as to cause instant death.

     No one witnessed the occurrence, although it had scarcely happened before it was discovered by some of the neighbors, who hastened to afford relief which was found unavailing.  Col. Rockwell had long been a resident of this town, was a useful citizen, and leaves an affectionate family to mourn a bereavement to them irreparable as it was sudden and unlooked for. -- Madison Observer.   (RCJul23/1847)

BULLARD - Another Missionary Fallen. -- We understand that letters were received by the last steamer, announcing the death of Rev. E. B. BULLARD, Missionary of the Baptist Board, of cholera, at Maulmain, Burmah, in April 1847.  (RCJul23/1847)

FISKE - Death of Prof. N. W. FISKE. -- The Springfield Republican has a letter announcing the death of Professor N. W. Fiske, of Amherst College, at Jerusalem, on the 27th of May, 1847.  He was about to return home with renewed health, when he was attacked by the worst form of dysentery or cholera, and died in a short time.  (RCJul23/1847)

NEAL - From the Philadelphia Inquirer of Monday morning.  We announce with pain the death of JOSEPH C. NEAL, Esq., the Editor of Neal's Saturday Gazettte.  He was seized with sudden illness at his residence in this city, on Saturday morning, (July 17, 1847) about 3 o'clock, and lingered until 4 o'clock in the afternoon, when he died.  The disease was congestion of the brain.

Mr. Neal was a writer of high reputation; and while he was admired for his genius, he was esteemed, beloved and respected for his noble qualities as a man.  He was born at Greenland, N.H., Feb. 3, 1807.  His father was for many years the principal of a leading Seminary, and afterward a minister of a Congregational Church.  He died when Joseph, his only son, was but two years old.

The subject of our notice resided for several yars in Pottsville, but in 1831 he came to Philadelphia, took up his abode here, and lived in our city ever since.  He was connected with the Pennsylvanian, as Editor, when that paper first started as a wekly, and also for a long period after it became a daily.  Indeed, to his ability, courtesey and honorable mode of discussion, much of the high reputation which that journal deservedly enjoys should be attributed.

In 1841 the health of Mr. Neal began to fail, and he traveled to Europe and Africa in the hope of improvement.  On his return he resumed his position as Editor of the Pennsylvanian.  In 1844 he retired from that establishment, and in connection with two friends of liberaltiy and enterprise, commenced Neal's Saturday Gazette, in the editorial chair of which he continued with honor to himself and success to the establishment until the time of his decease.

In December, 1846, Mr. Neal married a gifted and accomplished young lady of Hudson, N.Y.; and he therefore, in addition to a mother on whom he doted with unwavering affection, has left a heart-stricken and sorrowing widow to weep for an irreparable loss.  Mr. Neal was remarkable, as well for his quiet humor, as for his caustic satire, and many of his productions have for years enjoyed an enviable popularity.  In 1837 he published the first volume of his 'Charcoal Sketches,' and in 1844 the second.  Both were eminently successful.

We knew him intimately, and we esteemed, appreciated and loved him.  It is probable that he has not left an enemy behind, for he was all gentleness, truth and honor.  The blow must be a fearful one to the two beings upon earth who had the highest claims upon his regard -- we mean his mother and his wife -- and they have our heartwarm sympathy in their trying affliction.    (RCJul23/1847)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, July 30, 1847

EDWARDS - Hon. HENRY W. EDWARDS, late Governor of Connecticut, died at New Haven, Thursday evening, in his 68th year.  (RCJul30/1847)

STAPLETON - Coroner Brooks, of Utica, New York, held an inquest upon the body of PHILIP STAPLETON, on Sunday, July 25, 1847, at New Hartford, NY.  From the testimony, it appeared that the deceased left his house about 5 o'clock A.M., for the purpose of bathing in the Sauquoit Creek.  His clothes were found upon the bank, and the body was found in eight feet water.  He was an Englishman, and has left a wife and two children.  (RCJul30/1847)

COWLES - In Rome, New York, on July 22, 1847, of inflamation of the stomach and bowels, CELESTIA CAROLINE, infant daughter of Stephen H. and Angeline Cowles, aged 1 year and 3 days.  (RCJul30/1847)


From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, August 6, 1847

TALCOTT - On July 28, 1847, in Rome, New York, Mr. JONATHAN TALCOTT, aged 93 years. -- He was among the first settlers in this town, and has held an important standing as a  citizen, and as a member of the Presbyterian Church for more than 40 years.  His last days were peaceful, trusting in the grace of God, thro' our Lord Jesus Christ.  (RCAug06/1847)  [see also (RCAug06/1847)-HOUSE]

HOUSE - In Rome, New York, on July 30, 1847, Mrs. HOUSE, the widow of Mr. George House, aged 95 years. -- Her brother Mr. Jonathan Talcott, was buried last week, aged 93 years.  It is hoped that they are united in the praises of God in Heaven.  (RCAug06/1847)  [see also (RCAug06/1847)-TALCOTT]

NEWMAN - Death of an Ohio Senator -- General NEWMAN, who was unable to take his seat during the last session of the Legislature, on account of indisposition, died at the Utica Insane Asylum, some thirteen days since.  (RCAug06/1847)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, August 13, 1847

BRADLEX - Death of a Member of Congress. -- The Hon. EDWARD BRADLEX, of Marshall, Michigan, and Member elect of the present Congress, died on Thursday of last week, (August 5, 1847) in the city of New York.  (RCAug13/1847)

BLACKSKIN - An Old Indian Dead. -- The Grand River Rapids (Michigan) Eagle, announces the death of an Indian of that village, known as BLACKSKIN.  The Eagle says he lived to be upwards of an hundred years old, and has enacted, as the head of his tribe, many exciting scenes during his life.  His hand first applied the torch to the city of Buffalo in the war of 1812.  The old man, with the remnant of his tribe, has long been on friendly terms with the whites, and his death is a notable event in the history of his tribe.  (RCAug13/1847)

MANLY - The stage running between Troy and Saratoga, upset a few days since on River street, near the market, and killed a man named CALVIN MANLY.  He was on the steps of the stage at the time, soliciting passengers for one of the steamers.  The driver who had charge of the stage was intoxicated.  (RCAug13/1847)

WIGHTMAN - In Rome, New York, August 4, 1847, Mr. SILAS WIGHTMAN, aged 79 years.  (RCAug13/1847)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, August 20, 1847

WYLIE - At Marcellus, on Monday, August 2, 1847, CLARISSA B. WYLIE, wife of Allen G. Wylie, formerly of Rome, NY, in the 35th year of her age.  (RCAug20/1847)

TUTHILL - In Lee, New York, on August 12, 1847, BETSEY, wife of Daniel Tuthill, aged 68 years and 11 months.  (CAug20/1847)

ELY - JOHN ELY, a Soldier of the Revolution, who had reached his 90th year, died at Philadelphia on Saturday. (August 14, 1847)  He was the father of John Ely, Jr., who was Deputy Comptroller of this state under Archibald McIntyre.  (RCAug20/1847)

Barbara Andresen