Rome Citizen Death Notices in 1847

Thanks to Barbara Andresen for sending this in!

From  ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, September 24, 1847

      Paris, for a few days past, has been in a state of great excitement, caused by the murder of the Duchess of Praslin, by her husband, and the subsequent suicide of the Duke.  You will find in the Journals long and minute details of this affair.  I will give them to you briefly as possible.

     The Duchess was a daughter of Marshall Sebastiani, a beautiful woman, mother of nine children, the eldest being the only one married, to a rich Piedmontese gentleman, residing at Turin.  The second daughter left Paris the day before the murder, to join her grandfather, who was on a visit to Geneva.  The others were at Paris.  It appears that the governess, a very accomplished woman, had recently been dismissed by the Duchess for afficient cause, and had gone to reside in a large boarding school in Paris, as a teacher.

     The Duke and Duchess had been for some time at Havre, and returned the day previous to the murder.  It is said the Duke on his arrival at Paris called to see their late governess before he went to his own residence.  This was known to the Duchess, and high words were the consequence in the evening.

     On the morning of the 18th inst., between 5 and 6 o'clock, the waiting maid was awakened by her lady's bell, and instantly preceded to her apartment, the door of which was locked from within.

     After calling and receiving no answere, but hearing groans, she called other servants and broke open the door, and found the Duchess in the agonies of death, having received seven wounds, some from a poignard and some from other instruments.  The alarm in the house soon brought the Duke into his wife's department, (they had had separate apartments for some time,) and he threw himself on the dead body; but from his manner and other circumstances, he was soon suspected by the officers of justice, who had come in, and was not permitted to depart, nor was any one allowed to leave the premises until the chief of the police had arrived.  The Duke being a peer of France, and a member of the King's household, it was a matter, of doubt whether he could be sent to prison, but two police officers were kept in his chamber.

     On Saturday morning he was removed to a prison in the palace of Luxembough, in such a state of prostration, that it was found necessary to carry him from his room to the carriage.  This removal of the Duke to prison was ordered by the Chamber of Peers, which had been summoned immediately after the act of murder became known to the King.  It is said when it was announced at the Palace the Queen fainted and was afterwards in hysterics for some time.  Notwithstanding it was generally supposed the Duke would make an attempt on his own life, he got possession of some drug which he swallowed; the fact was soon discovered and methods were adopted to counteract the effects of the poison.  These had the desired effect for a time, but the unfortunate man died on the 24th.

     The death of the Duke relieves the Chamber of Peers of the painful trial that was to be brought before it; but the manner of his death has produced many severe remarks against those in authority. -- Indeed the Paris correspondent of the London Times says that it was the wish of some "high in authority" that the tragedy should thus end.

     Both the Duke and Dutchess had large fortunes.  The latter was a friend to the poor and distressed of every kind.  Among the entries in her memorandum book are these -- "One hundred francs given to Mrs. T. to assist in obtaining a substitute for her son; 50f. sent to R., whose wife was recently confined."  The clergymen with whom she was acquainted were her almoners.

     The governess has been arrested; a large correspondence with this woman has been found in a cabinet in the Duke's department.   (RCSep24/1847)

WILDE - Death of RICHARD HENRY WILDE -- The New Orleans papers of September 11th, announce the death of the Hon. Richard Henry Wilde, of New Orleans, (formerly a distinguished Member of Congress from Georgia,) and well known by his History of Tasso and other literary productions, died on September 10, 1847 of yellow fever.  (RCSep24/1847)

PARIS - During the last twenty years thirty-three medical students have died in Paris from the effect of punctures received whilst dissecting dead bodies.  (RCSep24/1847)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, October 1, 1847

SPURR - The Coroner, A. Blair, Esq., was on Wednesday (September 29, 1847) morning last called to hold an inquest on the body of Mr. HENRY SPURR, who was killed by falling from his wagon the evening previous.  He resided near the old Canal, in this place. (Rome, NY)  It appears he had just returned, in company with his son, from Vernon, in this County, and stopped at a tavern kept by Mr. Spellacie.  His son went in, leaving him in the wagon.  He was gone but a moment, but when he returned he found his father lying on the ground, dead, his neck having been broken by the fall.  He had evidently fallen from the wagon in attempting to get out.  He was intoxicated at the time.  (RCOct01/1847)

SHATTUCK - Mr. PERRY SHATTUCK, of Independence, Michigan, was drowned on Sunday night of last week (September 19, 1847) at Canswaugus, Livingston county, in this state. (NY)  He was seen by his sister to step into the lock at that place, but an hour expired before his body was recovered.  He with his wife and sister were on their way to visit friends in Avon.  He was probably misled by a dim light left burning at the end of the lock.  (RCOct01/1847)

STEAD - From the Rochester Democrat - A most shocking and fatal accident occurred at the railroad depot in this city yesterday afternoon about 2 o'clock.  The circumstances are as follows:  Mrs. STEAD, an English lady, from Yorkshire, in company with her son-in-law, two daughters, two grand-children and a servant, came in upon the eastern emigrant train which arrived a few minutes before two o'clock.  The son-in-law left the females in the car and went to the depot to make some enquires about going west.  While he was absent, the person who sweeps the cars went into the one occupied by Mrs. Stead and her daughters, and told them to hurry and get upon the other cars.

     The daughter stepped out, and while Mrs. S. was stepping from the platform, the engineer started the cars backward, the sudden motion of which threw her across the track between the cars, and before she could rise two wheels passed over her body and left arm in a most shocking manner, and causing her death almostly instantly.  Her husband, Mr. Samuel Stead, has been in Milwaukee or its vicinity, some three months, and had written for his family, who were on their way to join him when arrested by this sad calamity.  The anguish of the daughters at their sudden bereavement was too deep for human sympathy to afford relief, although it was freely and generously offered.  The appearance of the family denoted intelligence and worldly comfort.

     The remains of Mrs. Stead were removed to Barnard's Hotel to be enclosed in a leaden coffin, her daughters wishing to bury her where they expect to settle in the west.  We understand her age to be 48 years.  (RCOct01/1847)

BRAINERD - In Harissville, Ohio, September 3, 1847, after a sickness of three weeks with the dissentary. -- DAVID LEWIS BRAINERD, only surviving son of Israel Brainerd, of Vernon, New York, in the 29th year of his age.  (RCOct01/1847)


From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, October 8, 1847

MATTESON - In Rome, New York, September 26, 1847, of the Dysentary, CHARLES F., aged 6 years, and youngest son of Luther and Laura Matteson.  (RCOct08/1847)

MATTESON - In Rome, New York, September 28, 1847, of the Dysentary, CELESTIA, aged 11 years, daughter of Luther and Laura Matteson.  (RCOct08/1847)


From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, October 15, 1847

GREENMAN - At Dexter, Michigan, September 22, 1847, Mr. THOMPSON GREENMAN, late of Western, Oneida county, New York, aged 57 years.  (RCOct15/1847)
     [this notice is repeated in the paper of October 22nd, exactly as above, except the last name is spelt GRANMAR --transcriber]


From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, October 22, 1847

PRATT - In Rome, New York, on October 14, 1847, of Consumption, Mrs. SARAH PRATT, wife of Orasmus Pratt, in the 30th year of her age.  (RCOct22/1847)

DENISON - At his residence, in Floyd, New York, October 3, 1847, Mr. LATHAM DENISON, Esq., in the 77th year of his age.  Mr. Denison, was one of the earliest settlers of the town, and leaves a large family, of children and grand children, to mourn his loss.  (RCOct22/1847)

WESTCOT - At Verona, Oneida County, New York, October 12, 1847, Col. JOHN WESTCOT, in the 71st year of his age.  Col. Westcot, resided many years in the Town of Rome, and for the greater part of the time, was a citizen of this village.  He held for repeated terms, offices of trust and responsibility, and was a  faithful and efficient public servant.  For several years he was Commandant of the 157th, Regiment, N.Y.S. Militia, and at the call of his country, in the hour of peril, in the trying times of 1814, marched with his Regiment to the defense of Sackets Harbor, then in imminent danger of attack by the enemy.  He was  a mild, but firm officer, a humane man and hospitable neighbor; he had known prosperity without presumption, and in adversity bore the allotment of Providence with acquiescence and resignation. -- His mortal remains were interred in the village burial ground, Rome; funeral service by the Rev. F. Stanton.  (RCOct22/1847)

HOGAN - The son of Mr. Daniel Hogan, of Rome, New York, a boy about 14 years of age, met a shocking death on Friday last. (October 15, 1847)  He was driving a horse in a  cider mill, and imprudently took his seat on the seat to which the horse was attached.  One portion of the sweep passed within one or two inches of a beam.  While riding thus he got into a position which brought his head between the sweep and the beam, causing instant death by crushing his skull in a most horrible manner.  (RCOct22/1847)

CAMPBELL - Henry Phinney, Esq., of Cooperstown, New York, has been elected President of the Otsego County Bank, in place of the late ROBERT CAMPBELL, deceased.  (RCOct22/1847)

Barbara Andresen