Rome Citizen Death Notices in 1850

Thanks to Barbara Andresen for sending this in!

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, January 2, 1850

WARD - In Rome, New York, December 30, 1849, JOHN P. WARD, son of Stephen Ward, Esq., in the 18th year of his age.  There are few who leave behind them a larger circle of warm frinds than the subject of this brief notice.  He had been for ten long years a great sufferer from an affection of the spine, and in his affliction had learned much of heavenly wisdom.  (RCJan02/1850)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, January 9, 1850

GILES - In Rome, New York, January 2d, 1850 in the 6th year of his age, ALBERT HENRY, son of Henry G. and Harriet H. Giles.  (RCJan09/1850)

BEASTON - The Newark Daily Advertiser says:  We are pained to announce the total loss of the schr. Ellen Edgwick, Capt. BEASTON, of this port. boated from Richmond with a load of coal for the Brooklyn Gas Co.  She went down in the gale on Saturday, and all hands perished, (7 in number) excepting the mate, including Captain Beaston, who has been for many years an estimable citizen of this place.  The melancholly story is derived from the survivor, Mr. Champney, whom our informant saw in New York City yesterday:  The schooner was off Brigantine Shoals, near Great Egg Harbor, on our coast, when she encountered the gale, which blew [my photocopy stops here --transcriber.]    RCJan09/1850)

Particulars of the Murder of Mr. J. M. WHITE and his Party.  Las Vegas, New Mexico, Oct. 27, 1849 news item:  [Article starts with the party who found the dead and where they came from] Next day, at Red river, the party met the returning "buffalo hunters," wending their way on the banks of the river, and at once concluded that the murdered Mexicans were of their number.  At Wagon Mound they came upon the camp of Mr. Hugh N. Smith, our delegate to Congress for the Territory of New Mexico.

Here they learned facts that will startle the minds of our friends in the States.  The supposed carriages were indeed carriages, and their occupants Mr. JAMES M. WHITE, his wife and little daughter.  He left Mr. F. X. Aubry's train on Tuesday, the 23d, to hasten in to the settlements on account of the repeated sleets of snow to which his wife and child were exposed.  With him was a Mr. SNOWBERGER, a German, and another gentleman, name not known, and also a mulatto servant man and one female.

The wagon master of Mr. F. X. Aubry (Mr. WILLIAM CALLOWAY) was in company, and intended to see White and his family safe this side the Point-of-Rocks, and rush in for corn and mules; but, Oh, God! what a fate they met with! --the entire party scalped or made prisoners.  They were attacked late on Wednesday, or early on Thursday morning, by a band of 70 Apache Indians; and the mules must have run the carriage off the hill into the ravine, or else it was done to afford protection to the wife and child.  But they are all murdered.

The carriages were completely riddled with balls, and the five men, Mr. JAMES M. WHITE, SNOWBERGER, WILLIAM CALLOWAY, BEN THOMPSON, a mulatto, and the gentleman whose name is not known, lay near the carriages, scalped, and with evident signs of desperate fighting everywhere visible around the camp.  The Mexicans came up soon after, but did not know of any harm, and were busy looking at the effect of a bloody and atrocious massacre, when they were surprised and attacked by the same devils.  They however, gained the hill and protected most of their stock.  They lost four men and one they left for dead --a mere boy.  This boy was picked up by Mr. Hugh N. Smith, and from him we have this account of the massacre.

It is supposed that Mrs. White andher daughter were taken prisoners.  [there is a little more to the article calling for better protection in Indian territory by the Congress] --St. Louis Republican.  (RCJan09/1850)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, January 16, 1850

MORRIS --A Clergyman Killed. --Rev. MOSES MORRIS, was shot dead recently, near Decatur, Alabama by Dr. Delany.  A letter says:  "Parson M. was met on the road by Dr. D., Parson M. observing him approaching with a gun on horseback, stopped his horse, threw aside his blanket and bared his breast.  Dr. D. supposing he was searching for a pistol, shot him dead on the spot.  Parson Morris was universally beloved.  No defensive weapon was found on his body when the inquest was held.  The diffulty as far as ascertained, appears to have been in consequence of family discord.  Delany was committed to take his trial.  Jefferson Commercial.    (RCJan16/1850)

At Shreveport, La., on the 20th of December, 1849, a Dr. GREEN and a Mr. HESTER killed each other in the manner following: --

On Tuesday, the 18th inst., both gentlemen met at the Commercial Hotel.  Dr. Green approaced Mr. Hester, and offering him his hand in the most cordial manner, when Mr. Hester slapped him in the face.  The Doctor asked what he meant; whereupon Mr. Hester repeated the blow and instantly placed his hand in his bosom, as if to draw a weapon.  Dr. Green exclaimed, "I am not armed."  Mr. Hester told him to go and arm himself, or words to that import.  The parties then separated, and in the evening Mr. Hester left town and went home.  On Thursday he returned, and several notes not amounting to a challenge on either side passed between the parties, in one of which, it is said, Dr. Green informed Mr. Hester that, after 9 o'clock on Friday, he would be ready to fight him in any way.

On Thursday, about 4 o'clock P.M., Mr. Hester, without notifying any person as far as known, went to the back door of Dr. Green's room, pushed it open and instantly fired twice at the Doctor, one of the shots taking effect in his side.  Dr. Green sprang to his feet, pistol in hand, and fired at Mr. Hester, the shot taking effect also in his side.  He then threw his pistol, striking Mr. H. on the head, drew a bowie knife, stabbed him four or five times --once in the breast, and Mr. Hester fell and immediately expired. --Dr. Green lived till 2 o'clock that night.

No cause for this affair is known.  Dr. Green protested, after he received his death wound, that he was ignorant of the cause of Mr. Hester's hostility.  Both gentlemen had previously been the most intimate friends, politically and personally, and were of high standing in the community.   (RCJan16/1850)

GROSVENOR - In Rome, New York, on Sunday, January 13, 1850, after an illness of nine days, Mrs. HARRIET GROSVENOR, widow of the late Oliver C. Grosvenor, in the 60th year of her age.  She left behind cheering evidence to her friends that for her to die was gain.   (RCJan16/1850)    [see also (RCNov12/1886)-GROSVENOR]

VAN RENSSELAER - The verdict of the inquest held upon the body of Mr. VAN RENSSELAER, is that he came to his death accidentally.  The Syracuse Journal says, "The evidence given before the jury went strongly to show that the deceased could not have meditated self destruction.  The verdict is in accord with the prevailing opinon of our citizens, although the first impression was as has been already stated."   (RCJan16/1850)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, February 6, 1850

WAUGH - A very extraordinary death occurred in New York [city.]  Mrs. AMELIA WAUGH was found by her husbnd, upon going to his dinner, sitting in her chair, with her face resting in a pan of dry peas on the table.  Peas were found in her mouth, nose, and under her eyelids; and it was found that she died of congestion of the lungs, from suffocation.   (RCFeb06/1850)

WATSON - Mr. A. WATSON, an overseer of rock blasting on the Vermont and Canada Railroad, was killed in Georgia, Vt., on the 19th inst., by an accidental discharge of powder in the crevice of a rock.  He was a highly respectable citizen.   (RCFeb06/1850)

CHOLERA - The number of deaths by cholera in Paris, France during the last year amounted to 19,000 in the banliene to upwards of 4,000, and 52,000 in the departments --75,000 in one year!   (RCFeb06/1850)

LETTS - In a quarrel, in one of the Five Pointish localties of Ithaca, NY, known as, "Canada," one DAVIE LETTS was shot by a woman named Susan Walker.  The wound, if it does not prove mortal, will cripple him for life.  Letts had first broken the woman's jaw bone by a blow with a billet of wood.  (RCFeb06/1850)

RODGERS - The Oswego Daily News says, "a little daughter of Mr. Henry Rodgers, of Baldwinsville, was drowned in the river, on Friday last.  She was sliding on the ice and broke through."  (RCFeb06/1850)

STREET CHILDREN - There are over 11,000 children, under 17 years of age, in prison in France; sentenced until they reach their 20th year.  Most of these unfortunates belong to that class known as street or neglected children --a class for whose reclamation a movement is now on foot in this State.  (RCFeb06/1850)

MINER - Death by Poison from a Dead Body --Some days since Dr. MINER of Ware, Mass., had occassion to make a post mortem examination on a child who had died by inflamation of the bowels.  During the operation he pricked his finger with a needle, and has since been suffering from absesses in different parts of his system, occasioned by poisonous matter taken from the point of the needle.  His situation is still critical.  The MOTHER of the Doctor, a lady 62 years of age while washing some of the bandages used by her son, accidentally pricked her finger with a pin left in them and in forty-eight hours the inflamed member exhibited signs of morticication, which soon extended up her arm and terminated in her death.  (RCFeb06/1850)

STEAMBOAT DISASTERS DURING 1849 -- The St. Louis papers publich lists of the steamers blown up, sunk, or otherwise destroyed in the West, during the past year.  The total number is 112, of which 83 were totally lost.  The estimated pecuniary loss is set down at $2,000,000, and the loss of life upwards of 200 persons, and perhaps as many were wounded or maimed.  This is a formidable list truly, and should arouse the attention of Congress to the improvement of Western navigation and cause the people of the West to at once devise some means to avert the too frequent occurrence of explosions and fires.   (RCFeb06/1850)

A bloody and desperate affray took place at Sangerfield Centre, on Monday evening.  B. F. Button, and a man by the name of LOCKE, met at the hotel in that place kept by Chares Bennett, and to settle a former difficulty, engaged in a fight.  Locke proved too much for Button, and punished him severely.  He then withdrew, leaving his vanquished antagonist in one corner of the room.  Button became desperate, and approaching Locke stealthily, after it was supposed the contest was at an end, drew a knife, which he had concealed about him, and plunged it into the abdomen of Locke, making a gash three inches long, from which the intestines protruded.  Locke lived about five hours after, and died at 1 o'clock the next morning.

Bennett, the keeper of the hotel was absent, attending a school meeting when the affray commenced, but being sent for came in and attempted to restore order, when Button rushed upon him and drove his knife into his left side, inflicting a severe wound.  Bennett's wound is considered a very dangerous one, and although still living, great doubts exist as to his recovery.

An inquest over the body of Locke, was held yesterday.  The verdict of the jury was, that he was wilfully murdered by Button.  Button was taken into custody, and put in irons, and is now in Jail at Rome, NY.  (RCFeb06/1850)     [see also (RCJun12/1850)-LOCKE]

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, February 13, 1850

CORCORAN - WALTER CORCORAN, a fine boy, twelve years of age, was killed at Canandaigua on Saturday last.  He jumped on the cars as they started in trying to get off, was thrown under one of the wheeels, which passed over his head, killing him instantly.  (RCFeb13/1850)

HAELOCK - We learn by letter received on Monday last, from Charles W. Hayden, Esq., in California, the melancoly tidings of the death of JABEZ W. HAELOCK, late teller in the Rome Bank which occurred at Monterey, on the 25th of December 1849.  The cause of death is not stated.  (RCFeb13/1850)

NETTLESON - A melancholy accident occurred at McConnelsville, NY, on Wednesday of last week [February 6, 1850], which resulted in the death of Mr. WILLIAM NETTLESON of that place.  It occurred, as near as we can get the particulars, as fellows.  A sleigh containing fresh, frozen Mackerel was standing in the street, and Nettleson and a man by the name of George Nellis stepped up to the steigh --Nellis inquiring of the owner, the price of the fish &c., upon which Nettleson, coming up behind Nellis, asked him, in a playful manner, what he knew about fish, or words that effect, and knocked off his hat.  Nellis then took up one of the fish by the head, and turned himself or swung the fish round for the purpose of hitting Nettleson on the shoulder.

Nettleson in order to avoid the blow retreated a step or two, when, the fish slipping out of Nellis' hands, the tail part striking Nettleson just below the ear causing instant death.  It is stated that the deceased and Nellis were on the most friendly terms, and that the grief of the latter on account of this distressing casulty, is most intense.  The deceased leaves a young sorrow stricken wife to whom he had been married but five or six weeks.  Truly, "in the midst of life we are in death."   (RCFeb13/1850)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, February 20, 1850

Shipwrecks on Long Island and Loss of Life. --The British brig Minerva, Captain Delany, from Halifax, N.S., for this port, with six passengers and a cargo of fish, was totally wrecked, about 7 miles west of Fire Island, on Sunday morning, 10th inst. at one o'clock, and unfortunately four of her passengers --Mrs. MURPHY and her SON, aged twelve years, and TWO little GIRLS, daughters of Mr. Samuel Sellers --met a watery grave.  Mrs. M., with her son, had been on a visit to Halifax; and the little girls were on their way to see their father who resides in this city.  The bodies of all four had been recovered, and were on the beach yesterday.  The vessel, it is said, was fully insured in this city; and it is supposed the cargo is insured in Halifax. -- The N.Y. Herald.     (RCFeb20/1850)

BARBER - The death of JOHN H. BARBER, Esq., for many years editor and proprietor of the Newport, R.I. Mercury --a journal in its 89th year --is announced in the papers of that place.

Mr. Barber was connected with the Mercury for the last sixty years.  It was started by James Franklin, brother of the Doctor, and by him sold to Mr. Barber's father, and is now the oldest paper in the country --the Hartford Courant being the next oldest.   (RCFeb20/1850)

PENA y PENA --In the Mexican papers the death of PENA y PENA is announced.  Pena y Pena became President of the Republic at the close of the war with the United States.  It was under his auspices the treaty of peace was made, and it was by him that is was ratified, after Herrera, the President elect, fearing popular indignation and the cabals of the Santaists, shunned the responsibility of advocating or signing it, and obtained the election of Pena y Pena as President, ad inturim, by Congress.

In the teeth of the insane desire to procrastinate the war, he made peace, and by his patriotism and courage saved Mexico from national extiction.  He was immediately succeeded by the weak, but well intended Herrera, who has since filled the Presidential chair.  Mexico, in the death of Pena y Pena, has lost one of her best and wisest men, and a pure patriot.  (RCFeb20/1850)

LYNCH - At Brooklyn, NY, on February 10, 1850, of Whooping cough, LEA, infant son of Harrison and Louise F. Lynch, aged nine months and three days.   (RCFeb20/1850)  [see also (RCDec11/1885)-HARRISON]

HIGGINS - A Ripe Old Age --The Sun says:  "Yesterday the funeral of Mrs. MARGARET HIGGINS, supposed to have been at the moment of her death, the oldest person in this city (being in her 105th year) took place.  The service was performed by Rev. C. H. Halsey, at Christ Church, Anthony st. She having been a member of that society.

Her recollections of the past to the time of her death were remarkably distinct.  She spoke of Washington, so commonly designated as the Father of his country, as a young man cut off in the midst of great usefulness, and in the prime of life.  She had seen him on several public occasions and had outlived him within a few months of half a century.  During her life she ever manifested great interest in the concerns of the society of which she was a member.

She was present at its first organization in a room in Ann st. and took a lively interest in the discussion as to whether there was room for the maintenance of a second parish of the Episcopal Church, Trinity being then the only one formed.  The site of the present Church was selected against great opposition, on account of its being so far up town, and for a long time after the erection of the Church, the country in the vicinity was sparsely populated as Fortieth st. now is.  When the late Dr. Lyell was ordained over the Church, she feared, with others, that he was too young to undertake so great a responsibility.  He died nearly two years since, at the advanced age of 74 years.    (RCFeb27/1850)

Barbara Andresen