Rome Citizen Death Notices in 1850

Thanks to Barbara Andresen for sending this in!

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, May 1, 1850

KEMP - NAPOLEON P. KEMP was murdered by a party of Indians, about the 2nd inst, [April 2, 1850] while on the road from Ringgold barracks to Laredo. [Texas]  He was accompanying the train, but at the time of his murder was with a soldier belonging to the escort, a short distance in advance.  The soldier is badly wounded, but is expected to recover.   (RCMay01/1850)

Terrible Explosion on Lake Erie.  Cleveland, April 28 --The Wayne left Toledo on Saturday moring about 9 o'clock, with 29 passengers, and took on board some 40 more at Sandusky, on Saturday night, leaving there at 10 o'clock.

These and the crew made the number on board from 80 to 100.  About half-past 12 o'clock on Sunday moring, just below Vermillion, and some 8 miles from shore, the two starboard boilers exploded, throwing them into a perpendicular position, tearing away the steerage cabin above and shattering the hull badly.

She sunk in 15 minutes, doing down head foremost, and the yawl was launched and 12 persons reached shore in it.  The life boat half filled on launching, and leaked badly, but six persons got ashore in her after six hours by bailing her constantly.

Captain Gore, James Edgecomb, 1st mate, and Mr. Vorce, clerk, are saved.

Mr. J. ELLORE, 1st engineer, and Mr. EDWARD BURCHARD, 2d engineer, are lost.

Mr. D. A. Eddy, of Cleveland, was on board, and was seen after the explosion, but whether he was saved is not known.

The state-room of the Captain, next to the steerage cabin, was blown to pieces, and his bed blown upside down, but he was not hurt.

When the Wayne went down, she was on fire and the flames were just bursting out.  The cause of the explosion we cannot state.

The boilers were only one year old, and were in good condition, and the fireman who escaped says that just before the accident happened, he tried the boilers, and there was plenty of water in them.  The hurricane deck is supposed to have floated, and it was thought to be seen from shore this morning.  Two small vessels went out from Vermillion to pick up any survivors.

Our citizens will wait with painful anxiety for further particulars of the fate of Mr. Eddy, one of their esteemed townsmen.
                                                     Buffalo, Monday --9 A.M.
One of the vessels which went out took off the hurricane deck some 30 persons, six of whom were dead.  Mr. D. A. Eddy is saved, and has telegraphed us from Sandusky.        (RCMay01/1850)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, May 8, 1850

MORTON - In Rome, New York, May 2, 1850, JANE, wife of Jay W. Morton, and daughter of the late Burrett Hatch, aged 27 years and 8 months.   (RCMay08/1850)

The United States sloop-of-war- Marion sailed from Rio de Janeiro on the 18th of March, having lost one Passed Midshipman and several of her crew, with the fever.  The United States store-ship Lexington had sixty cases on her sick list, seventeen being of the prevailing fever.  Liet. VENDERHURST, U.S.N. died on the 17th of March.

On board the steamer New World, from New York city, there were upwards of twenty on the sick list.  One seaman and the steward (formerly a captain of one of the North river steamboats) had died.

Mr. JOHN S. LEONARD, of Worcester, Mass., a passenger in the New World, also died on the 24th of March, at the mansion of the U. States Consul.  Some vessels, particularly Italian, German, and English had lost their whole crews, and in some instances, their captains and officers; also the ladies of several English captains.

The use of liquor in such vessels, and exposure, of the crew to the sun, when at work on board, or towing lighters, without awnings to protect them by day, or from the dew at night, contributed much to this.  The epidemic was pronounced, by medical men of experience, as not yellow fever, but the kind that is usual on the coast of Africa, whence the contagion probably came.

The ship Venice, of Philadelphia, bound to California, put into Rio Janeiro on the 16th of March, having taken fire in her between decks, under the cabin, supposed from spontaneous combustion caused by oilskin jackets being packed in bales, together with other goods.  Captain Young was under the impression that the fire had been in existence a week when discovered; for in throwing overboard considerable of the cargo, barrels containing bread were found charred all through.

The Venice's knees and beams are badly burned; would have to discharge and repair, at great expense, owing to the prevalence of the yellow fever, mechanics and laborers, afloat, demanding double the remuneration.      (RCMay08/1850)

PARKER - Boston, May 3. Arrest for Murder and Robbery. --Four persons have been arrested for the murder and robbery, about six years ago, of Mr. PARKER, tax-collector of Manchester, N.H.  Their names are, the brothers, Wentworth of Saco, Me., and a man by the name of Clark, a trader in Nashua.  Two of the Wentworths have been before arrested, but discharged for the want of sufficient evidence.  Dr. Smith, now in confinement at Saco for murder, is reported to have given information, which is said to be very strong.    [in another article in RCMay15, 1850, the brothers are named Henry T., Horace, and Asa Wentworth, and Dr. Smith is Dr. James H. Smith]   (RCMay08/1850)

BRACKNEY - Affecting Incident --The case of Mr. Archer Brackney is of thrilling interest.  He was on his way from Lafayette, Ia., to Philadelphia, with the remains of his WIFE and CHILD, recently deceased.  Both of the corpses were enclosed in one box.  When the explosion took place, he succeeded in dragging his two living children from their rooms, and with them plunged into the water.  After swimming around for a short time, he came in contact with the box containing his wife and child.  Upon this he succeeded for some time in keeping himself and children from drowning, although every wave would roll his frail support and plunge them into the water, until at last, his little BOY, two years old, was drowned in his arms.  After becoming satisfied that his boy was dead, he reluctantly parted with the body, and turned his attention to the rescue of the remaining child, who was clinging around his nect, crying, "Papa! we shall drown!"  He finally succeeded in gaining the floating part of the wreck, with his little daughter, and both were saved.  (RCMay08/1850)

FAHLMAH - One of the most appalling murders that has lately come under our notice was perpetrated within a few miles of Warren, on Monday the 22d of April, [1850] about 10 o'clock.  The particulars, as near as we can learn, are as follows:

"A Dutchman by the name of Fahlmah, on returning home after a few days absence, had some doubts as to his wife's fidelity, and upon questioning his oldest son as to who had been there during his absence, he replied that he knew but would not inform him, when he immediately took down a loaded gun and deliberately shot his SON through the breast.  It was his intention to have killed his wife, but she fortunately made her escape, and he was shortly after arrested and conveyed to Warren, where the matter underwent a legal investigation on Wednesday.  It is also reported that he is deranged. --Youngsvill (Pa.) Express.  (RCMay08/1850)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, May 15, 1850

WELCH - WILLIAM WELCH, son of Dr. Welch, of Albany, NY, who, it was reported, died at San Francisco last fall, is alive and well, as we learn from a letter from Mr. Philip Schloss, formerly a clerk in Boardway.  (RCMay15/1850)

FRENCH - JAMES FRENCH, of New York city, aged nineteen years, died yesterday from injuries received by the explosion of a camphene lamp which he was engaged in filling --thus adding another to the many victims caused by the use of this dangerous fluid.  (RCMay15/1850)

DAVIS - Sudden Death. --Mr. E. DAVIS, of Poughkeepsie, brother of Hon. Richard D. Davis of that place died very suddenly at Utica, NY on Thursday [May 9, 1850].  He had called on Dr. Benedict, superintendent of the lunatic asylum, on business, and had scarcely commenced conversation, when he was taken with an apoplectic fit and died in about ten minutes.  Remedies were applied very actively, but to no purpose.  (RCMay15/1850)

SPENCER - Melancholy Suicide --It does not often fall to our lot to chronicle a more heartrending calamity than that which has just befell our esteemed townsman, H. D. Spencer, Esq., whose wife met an untimely death at the residence of ther father, Col. Stephen Chapman, in Clockville, Madison Co., on Monday of last week, [May 13, 1850] by drowning herself in a cistern.

Mrs SPENCER had been quite unwell for several months, during which she had exhibited signs of mental derangement, and we believe attempted once before to destroy herself during these spells.  For a few days previous to her death she had appeared in much better health and spirits, and would have returned to this place with her husband on the morning of her death, but for the severe storm which prevailed that day.

Mrs. S. was an accomplished and amiable lady; one whose loss her friends will not soon cease to mourn, and whose place in the affection of her husband and relatives cannot be filled this side of that "bourne from whence no traveler returns."  (RCMay15/1850)

WORDSWORTH - WILLIAM WORDSWORTH, Poet Laureate of Great Britain, breathed his last, by the side of Rydal Lake, In Westmoreland, England, on Tuesday the 23d ult. [April 23, 1850]  He was a native of Cookermouth, in the County of Cumberland, where he was born on the 7th of April, 1770.  In 1793, he published a poetical account of a pedestrian tour on the Continent, entitled Descriptive Sketches in verse, and followed by the Evening Walk, an epistle, in verse.  In alluding to the former, Coleridge says, "seldom, if ever, was the emergence of an original poetic Genius above the literary horizon more evidently anounced."  Those who have read his "Recollections of Early Childhood," cannot but regret the death of so eminent a man.  Wordsworth was the founder of what is called the Lake School of Poetry.   (RCMay15/1850)

From the N.Y. Evening Post --Terrible Ravages of the Yellow Fever at Rio.  We received the following letter this morning from our correspondent at Rio. It was brought to Philadelphia by the ship Grey Eagle:

Rio de Janeiro, April 4, 1850. --Knowing that many incorrect statements are likely to be made respecting the prevalence and fatality of the dreadful epidemic now, and some time past, raging at this port and city, and that many persons home will be gratified to receive information that is reliable, I therefore present you with a few pacts which have come to my knowledge

The yellow fever commenced here about the middle of December last.  At first it was looked upon as an aggravated form of the "Polka Fever," which prevailed here some three years ago, and gave but little alarm.  But in one month, its ravages had been so great, that great apprehensions were felt; numbers fled to the mountains; and the impression became general that for the first tiem, the yellow fever had made its appearance in the city and port of Rio; so long and justly celebrated for health.

There have been times, for weeks at a time, that there was not seamen enough in health to man half the vessels in port.

Scores of vessels have lost every soul on board.  Many have left with a new crew, and in a few days returned again with only men enough to get the vessel back, and frequently bereaved of the captain and one or more subordinate officers.  At one time, out of eighty custom house officers, engaged as guards, &c., only eight remained to do the work.  And to-day it is no better among the shipping.  In a few days, the steamer New World lost 11 of her men and her only passenger.  California vessels, from Europe and America, stopping here, have suffered much.

For a long time no report of deaths was made; but now an official report has been made of the aggregate mortality since the commencement of the epidemic, and it amounts to between 12,000 and 14,000.  Probably about 14,000 deaths of this fever in the harbor and city in the last three or four months.  The estimate is now 300 deaths daily, and no abatement either on shore or in the harbor.

A few weeks since, a Mr. G. ATWOOD, an American, came here, from London, with his LADY, NIECE and NEPHEW, bound to San Francisco.  This morning, the last of his family died --he only remains to prosecute the voyage.

On Monday evening of this week, the remains of Major T. S. MORGAN, Secretary of the U.S. Legation, and the only SON of Governor Kent, American Counsul, were buried in the English Cemetery, Gamboia.  The SISTER of of Rev. Mr. Pease, Seamen's Chaplain at this port, who arrived here in January last, died of this dreadful fever some six weeks ago.  His wife was sick at the time, and not expected to live, but has since recovered.  Himself and children have also suffered of this fever.

Such are a few instances of the terrible scourge now prevailing amongst us.  But hundreds of heartrending cases remain to be told.  Doctors have been particularly unhappy in the treatment of this disease.  Simple treatment and good nursing have proved far more successful.
                        Yours truly,           M.          (RCMay15/1850)

Crime in St. Louis --The Reville of St. Louis says there are thirteen persons, charged with murder, in confinement in the jail of that city, namely Gonzalve and Raymond de Montesquion, Nicholas Metze, Jonathan Sullens, John Dunn, Te-he-ray-resh, and I-thi-thi-i-near, two Pawnee Indians, and Es-co-tah, a Sac, Adam Deme, Michael Graham, John Thomas, James H. Cassidy, and George J. Lansdowne --the two last under sentence of death.  In addition to this, four charged with the same offense, are awaiting their trials on bail, namely:  Matthias and Jacob Moschbacker, George and Pink Stephens; total, seventeen.

In relation to the Mostesquions, the Republican of May 1st, says they have been admitted to bail.  After citing precedents in which persons charged with criminal offenses have been bailed, the Judge decided that Gonzalve be admitted to bail in the sum of $20,000 upon the indictment for killing BARNUM, and $20,000 upon the indictment for killing JONES; and that Raymond be admitted to bail in the sum of $10,000 upon the first named indictment, and $10,000 upon the second.

The prisoners were brought into court in the afternoon and gave the required bail --Messrs. James Lucas, Charles Chouteau, Teornton Grimsley, Wiley Randolph, S. E. Selick, Augustine Brewster, John Snyder, William Maffit and William Fulton severally becoming their sureties.  Suitable rooms have been provided for them at the St. Louis Hospital, under the care of the Sisters of Charity, where they will remain until another trial is had.  The court granted a commission to take depositions in Illinois, New York and Canada, which depositions are to be made evidence in the further trial.   (RCMay15/1850)

SHEARMAN - At Vernon, New York, on the 6th inst., [May 6, 1850] of typhus fever, STUKELY B., son of Willitt H. Shearman, aged 13 years.   (RCMay15/1850)

KIRKLAND - In Rome, New York, on Saturday, 11th inst. [May 11, 1850] JOSEPH KIRKLAND, Esq., aged about 50, of an enlargement of the spine.  (RCMay15/1850)  [another notice the following week says he died of a tumor in the side.]

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, May 22, 1850

MATTHEWS - In Rome, New York, on the 16th inst., [May 16, 1850] CHARLES, son of Jared and Ann Amelia Matthews, aged 1 year and 7 months.  (RCMay22/1850)  [see also (RCJun17/1887)-MATTHEWS

WINDSOR - We stated, a few days since, of the murder of Mrs WINDSOR, of Sussex Co., Delaware, who was about 17, by her husband, an old man of between 60 and 70.  The Delewarian gives the following additional particulars:

He shot her in the right side, the ball passing entirely through her body, from which she died in eight hours.  Mrs. Stuart, the wife of postmaster at Middleford, heard the screams of the woman, and report of the pistol, and gave the alarm, when Mr. Stuart, and another person entered the house, and on proceeding up stairs met the old man coming down.  He was armed with a double barrelled gun; and acknowledged that he had shot his wife, and intended to kill one Joseph Osborn.  Mr. Stuart wrested the gun from him proceeded up stairs and on entering the garret observed the woman lying weltering in her blood, pale as death and her infant child watching the death throbs of its parent.

Mr. S. then repaired to the store door, and demanded an entrance.  Windsor opened it about an inch, and peeped out but refused to admit any one.  Mr. Stuart however, forced open the door and discovered that the murderer had been taking laudanum.  He acknowledged that he had shot his wife deliberately, and only regretted that he had not succeeded in killing Osborn likewise.  He said that he had been on the look-out for Osborn all the morning, and would have killed him had an opportunity offered, but had failed, in consequence of the latter discovered his design.  He then went to his desk, and taking another pistol, attempted to shoot himself.

Mr. Stuart, however, succeeded in taking the pistol from him, and by the aid of another person who, by that time came to assistance, secured several other weapons that were in the store.  The murderer became faint from the effects of the laudanum; the dose being too large caused him to vomit the whole, when he recovered.  He was then taken before Esq. Hazzard, and committed to prison.  Capt. Windsor was quite wealthy, and when he supposed that he would die from the effects of the laudanum, requested Mr. Stuart to write to a young man in this city, and desire him to return home, as he had appointed him as his executor and made him sole heir.   (RCMay22/1850)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, May 29, 1850

BURROWS - In Beloit, Wisconsin, on the 13th instant, [May 13, 1850] of Scarlet Fever, SARAH M., aged 14 years, daughter of P. W. Burrows, of Milwaukee, and grand-daughter of C. Hollister, formerly of this place. [Rome, NY]      (RCMay29/1850)

LEWIS - In Sullivan, Madison county, NY, on the 13th inst., [May 13, 1850] Mr. EDWIN LEWIS.  (RCMay29/1850)

DWIGHT - In Clinton, NY, on the 19th instant, [May 19, 1850] Dr. DWIGHT, Treasurer of Hamilton College, aged 73 years.   (RCMay29/1850)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, June 5, 1850

EATON - Mr. GEORGE P. EATON, conductor of the Old Colony Railroad, was crused to death in consequence of falling under the wheels last week.   (RCJun05/1850)

AGAN or AIKIN - The locomotive Lightning of the Express train from the west Friday afternoon, when a few rods west of the Syracuse and Utica freight house, in the latter place, struck a man who was lying asleep with his head on the track and killed him instantly.  There being grass in front of where he lay, he was not seen until the train ahd approached very near, when the Engineer blew his whistle and the brakes were immediately shut down, but it was too late.  He was struck on the left side of the head and neck by the iron pilot of the locomotive and that side and back part of his skull was stove in, and his head nearly severed from his body.  His death must have been instantaneous.

When he was taken up a bottle of whisky fell from his pocket, which explains the cause of the accident.  The deceased was an Irishman, a blacksmith by trade, and and has worked alternately at Utica, Rome, and Oriskany for the last few years.  He is said to have a son at Schuyler, Herkimer county.  His name is said to be JOHN AGAN or AIKIN.  No blame can be attached to the Engineer.  The bottle of whisky or the seller, is wholly accountable for the blame.   (RCJun05/1850)

WEBBER - At Vernon, New York, on the 19th ult., [May 19, 1850] DORCAS, wife of Edward Webber, aged 76 years.   (RCJun05/1850)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wenesday, June 12, 1850

LOCKE - The trial of Benjamin F. Button for the murder of EDWARD LOCKE in February last, was brought to a close on Saturday evening last, and resulted in a verdict of Guilty of Manslaughter in the 3d degree.  What is killing in the heat of passion?  By teh evidence produced the Jury could only render a Verdict of Murder, or of Manslaughter in the third degree,  the Statutes defining the first and second degrees, which could not be applied to this case.  The trial seems to have been ably and impartially conducted, and the judgement of the Verdict universally acquiesced in.  (RCJun12/1850)  [see also (RCFeb06/1850)-LOCKE]

BROWN - At the residence of her son, in the town of Floyd, New York, Mrs. LYDIA GAVEN BROWN, relict of Elijah T. Brown, aged 80 years.  [no date given --transcriber]   (RCJun12/1850)

PORTER - In Lee, New York, on the 1st instant, [June 1, 1850] Mrs. ELIZABETH, wife of Stephen Porter, aged 69 years.   (RCJun12/1850)

COLE - On the 31st inst., [May 31, 1850] at Lenox, Madison co., NY, EUNICE, daughter of Chauncey and Eunice Cole, in the 28th year of her age.   (RCJun12/1850)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, June 19, 1850

McDANIELS - A young man about 17 years of age, by the name of JOHN McDANIELS, was drowned on Monday evening last, in the upper mill pond in this village. [Rome, NY]  We learn than he ventured into the water where it was deep, and not being able to swim, drowned before assistance could be rendered by others who were bathing in the pond at the same time.  Mr. McDaniels was an apprentice in the employ of James Bell, of this village, and his friends we learn, reside in Canada.   (RCJun19/1850)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, June 26, 1850

HAYS - Death of High Constable Hays. --JACOB HAYS, so long an efficient and faithful Police Officer of New York [city], that his face was familiar to all its residents, and his name known throughout the Union, died on Saturday last in the 80th year of his pilgrimage.

"Old Hays" was an officer of great sagacity, sleepless vigilance, and high courage and incorruptible integrity.  While, therefore, "a terror to evil doers," as he ever was, he ever enjoyed the respect and confidence of the good and virtuous.  (RCJun26/1850)

PORTER - The well-known authoress of the Scottish Chiefs, and many other standard novels and romances, Miss JANE PORTER, expired at the residence of her brother, Dr. W. Ogilvie Porter, Portland square, Bristol, on Thursday night, the 23d, from a second attack of pulmonary apoplexy.  "Miss Porter," says a London paper, "was in her 74th year, and maintained to the last moment not only her intellectual faculties, but that cheerfulness of disposition for which she had been much admired during her long life.  (RCJun26/1850)

Barbara Andresen