Rome Citizen Death Notices in 1856

Thanks to Barbara Andresen for sending this in!

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, November 5, 1856

McLANE - A young man named ROBERT J. McLANE was killed on the Black River & Utica R.R., at Trenton, NY,  Saturday.  He was acting as fireman on one of his first trips, and was directed to uncouple the locomotive from the train yet in motion.  In doing so, he stood with one foot on each car, and of course when the ocomotive started up, he fell and the other cars passed over him.  His head and body were terribly broken up, and he was instantly killed.  He was about twenty-three years of age, and leaves a young wife and child.  He resided in Statensbush.

Coroner Riggs of Boonville, held an inquest, and a verdict was rendered in accordance with the above facts, and exonerating the Railroad Company from all blame.  A resolution was also passed by the jury, recommending the destitute family of the deceased to the charity of the Company, and it is expected the Company will donate the widow a sum of money sufficient, in some measure, to lessen the severity of her affliction.  The body was brought to this city for interment. --Herald.   (RCNov05/1856)
     [see  also (RCNov26/1856)-McLEAN]

From the Buffalo Courier.  A brief dispatch was received Saturday forenoon, announcing the loss of the propeller Toledo with all on board, on Lake Michigan.

Another dispatch was received during Saturday evening by Wells D. Walbridge, Secretary of the American Transportation Company, which stated that the propeller Toledo, which left this port last week with 45 passengers and about 500 tons of merchandise, had struck the reef off Port Washington on Lake Michigan in a terrible gale, and had gone to pieces.  All on board, excepting three deck hands, were lost.  Portions of the wreck and part of the merchandise had been washed ashore on the beach.

The Toledo was sailed by Captain JOHN DENSHAM, who leaves a wife and one child in this city.  They reside on Sixth street.  The Toledo, when she left this port, had 40 or 45 passengers on board, and her crew numbered 34 or 35 men.  She had a cargo of assorted merchandise which must have been worth $200,000, and perhaps even more.  The Toledo was owned by the American Transportation Company, was about two years old, and worth $40,000.  She was not insured.  Several of the passengers, we understand, were residents of this city, and others had friends here.  These are all the particulars we could learn up to last night.
               [another article in same paper, follows]
The bodies of thirteen of those who were on board the ill-fated Toledo, one of the vessels wrecked in the late gale on Lake Michigan, had been recovered up to Wednesday.  Merchandise to the value of $5,000 had been recovered.  Two bodies were washed ashore near Milwaukee, one of which is supposed to be that of KATE T. HARING.  The other body was in a state of nudity, badly mangled and disfigured, and was that of a female, apparently about 40 years of age.   (RCNov05/1856)

TARBOX - The Bath (Maine, Sentinel) of Saturday, contains  the following account of an insane woman in that city burning herself to death:

"We learn that Mrs. SUSAN TARBOX, wife of James Tarbox, of Topsham, who for a long time has been subject to hopeless insanity, put an end to her existence the latter part of last week, by means of fire.  As we hear the facts on Friday about ten o'clock, she made an attempt to burn herself by means of friction matches, but was detected by means of the smoke issuing from the room in which she was confined.  The room was then thoroughly searched, and it was supposed impossible that she could have matches in it.

It appears as was subsequently ascertained, that she still had them concealed in her shoes, and early in the afternoon, smoke was again discovered about the house, and the females about rushed to her room and found the smoke so dense they could not enter.  Mr. Tarbox, who was near the house, was immediately alarmed, and succeeded in extinguishing the flames.  The unfortunate woman had evidently fired her clothes about the waist, as her breast and shoulders were burned in the most shocking manner, though life was not extinct.  She made no outcry whatever, and though she lingered until the next day, and was able to converse a little, she manifested little or no symptoms of pain or distress.

She was not without method in her madness, for it was found that she had torn up the carpet and packed it round the doors, to prevent the escape of smoke, which would again lead to detection.  When asked why she did not burn herself in the night, she exclaimed, "What! and burn up all the folks in the house!"

The deceased was of most respectable family connections, being the daughter of William Randall Esq., of Topsham, and niece of Hon. Benjamin Randall.    (RCNov05/1856)

RULOFF - In the celebrated case of Ruloff, charged with the murder of his WIFE and CHILD, near Ithaca, New York, about twelve years since, the prisoner was on Friday found guilty, at the Circuit Court before Judge Masson.  Hon. D. S. Dickinson for the people, and Hon. J. A. Spencer of Utica, for the prisoner.  (RCNov05/1856)

POLLOCK - In Newport, Kentucky, October 21, 1856, HELLEN M. POLLOCK, wife of Mortimer Pollock of Clairmont County, Ohio, and eldest daughter of Woodman Kimball, of Rome, NY, in the 25th year of her age.  (RCNov05/1856)     [see also (RCFeb23/1889)-KIMBALL]

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, November 12, 1856

BLANCHARD - The steamer Bay State, from New York, for Fall River, when off Puntington light last evening, November 1st, 1856, broke her walking beam, and blew off her cylinder head.  A daughter of Mr. Blanchard was killed, and two other passengers slightly injured.  The passengers were taken off by the steamer Worchester and carried to Norwich.    (RCNov12/1856)

RANDEL - Mr. ABRAHAM RANDEL, an aged citizen of the town of Verona, Oneida County, NY, was struck by the engine of a freight train going West, at 9:30 A.M., on Friday (November 7, 1856),  while walking on the track, on his way to Oneida, breaking both legs, injuring his spine and fracturing his skull.  He died from the injuries the same Evening.  He was aged 70 years.    (RCNov12/1856)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, November 19, 1856

ROTON - A wanton named LOUISE ROTON, was recently murdered in California, by a "fancy man."  (RCNov19/1856)

BUSH - Wednesday the body of an intemperate Frenchman named JOSEPH BUSH, was found in the river at Oswego, New York.   (RCNov19/1856)

PERKINS - A dwelling of Mr. Perkins, near Binghampton, was burned on the night of November 7, 1856, and Mr. PERKINS, his WIFE, FATHER, and SEVEN CHILDREN perished in the flames.  (RCNov19/1856)

BABBITT - Rumors reached the States, some weeks since, that Col. BABBITT, a prominent Mormon, and Secretary of Utah Territory, had been murdered by the Indians.  An arrival of a Salt Lake train on Sunday, October 26, 1856, at Council Bluffs, confirms this report.  Capt. Hawley, who had charge of this train, got the facts at "Sweet Water," which is a station about 200 miles west of Fort Laramie.

The Indians had come to the Fort and reported that 12 of them had attacked Col. Babbitt, while one of his men was away, and after the Colonel had fired his double-barrelled gun and his revolvers, one of the Indians crept stealthily behind the wagon and tomahawked the Colonel.  The Indians said that the Colonel fought like a grizzly bear.

When at Fort Kearney, Capt. Hawley learned that Major Wharton had in  his possession the papers (including a draft of $8,000) and some of his hair.  The watch was obtained by a Frenchman from the Indians.  Altogether about 18 whites have been killed.

Col. Babbitt was on his return from Washington to resume his duties as Secretary, and had with him a valuable collection of books, astronomical instruments, and was supposed to have a large sum of money.

Col. Babbitt was formerly a resident of Amherst, Lorain County.  His father was a blacksmith in that town, and was one of its early settlers.  The son was an untutored, active, smart boy -- to use a familiar expression, was very "tonguey" -- and when a young man became a convert to Mormon doctrines through the influence of a protracted Mormon meeting held in Amherst.  Mr. Babbitt became a Mormon preacher, having joined the sect at Kirkland, Lake Co., and has followed the destiny of this strange people up to its present habitation at Salt Lake.  Co. Babbitt, by his native talent, industry, and perserverance, has risen to distinction in Utah, and was Secretary of the Territory. --Cleveland Aerald, No. 8.   (RCNov19/1856)

KINNE - In DeWitt, Onondaga county, NY, on Saturday, November 8, 1856, Mr. GEORGE N. KINNE, in the 28th year of his age.  (RCNov19/1856)

EVERETT - In Utica, NY, on Monday, November 10, 1856, ROBERT EVERETT, Jr., in the 34th year of his age.  (RCNov19/1856)

KLINCK - Suddenly, on the 7th of November 1856, at Peterboro, Madison county, NY, of disease of the heart, GEORGE KLINCK, father of George Klinck of Utica, aged 67 years.  (RCNov19/1856)

BARTLETT - At Utica, NY, October 1, 1856, Mrs. MARY E., wife of H. B. Bartlett, and daughter of Deacon J. Lewis of Augusta, NY, aged 41 years.   (RCNov19/1856)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, November 26, 1856

BURR - Curioust Relict. -- In the trial of a suit for the infringement of a patent on setting mineral teeth, the teeth used by the celebrated AARON BURR were produced as specimens.  They were manufactured in Paris and at Col. B's death he presented them to Dr. Graham of New York.  While in the hands of a juryman they fell and were brokern.  (RCNov26/1856)

SEVILLE - A few nights since a man named Joseph Oakes killed his step brother, WILLIAM SEVILLE.  The parties resided in Baltimore.  Oaks, for some time past, has been insane, and Seville while in the act of taking him home.  (RCNov26/1856)  [the notice just ends abruptly --transcriber]

SMITH - On Thursday afternoon last, Mr. APPOLLOS SMITH, of Ellisburgh, Jefferson Co., who has recently been a patient at the New Grafenberg Water Cure, left that institution in a mysterious manner, taking with him only a razor.  He was somewhat deranged, and when missed, search for him was immediately commenced.  The country in the vicinity was scoured, and efforts to ascertain his whereabouts were made in this city.  But the search was, until yesterday afternoon, unsuccessful.  He was then found within half a mile of Water Cure establishment, lying on his face, his throat deeply cut, the razor in his extended right hand, and life extinct!

The deceased was a temperate and respected resident of Ellisburgh, yet in the prime of life.  His age is said to have been 44 years.  He was six feet in height, with dark complexion and black hair, and a stoop while walking.  His derangement was the result of disease.

He was brought to this city at an early hour, this morning, and Coroner Frear held an inquest on the body.  The verdict was in accordance with the facts mentioned above.  After the inquest, the remains were placed on the cars, to be removed to this house of the deceased. --Utica Obs.    (RCNov26/1856)

NAUGHTON - PETER NAUGHTON and his WIFE were brutally murdered in their house in Dudley, yesterday, or the night before, by some villain.  Naughton was a respectable laboring man, an Irishman, and had accumulated some property.  The gentleman for whom he worked, went to Naughton's house about ten o'clock A.M. to inquire why he did not come to work, as usual, upon opening the door, he found the man and his wife lying side by side on the floor dead, their bodies being mutilated in a horrible manner, their skulls having been dreadfully fractured, apparently with an ax, which was found in the room with the handle broken.

The room was covered with blood, and a chest had been broken open, in which it is supposed Naughton had some money.  An infant five months old was laying unharmed in the bed in an adjoining room.  This is one of the most shocking murders ever perpetrated, and as yet no clue to the detection of the murderer has been obtained.  It hardly seems possible that the guilty wretch can escape detection.  A coroner's jury were investigating the case yesterday afternoon. -- Worchester Transcript, Nov. 7.     (RCNov26/1856)

McLEAN - Saturday night ROBERT J. McLEAN, a fireman on the Black River and Utica Railroad, fell from the train, in the vicinity of Trenton, while detaching a  locomotive, and striking on his head fractured his skull to such an extent that death ensued immediately.

The body of deceased was  brought to this city, and yesterday Coroner Riggs, of Boonville, held an inquest.  The jury rendered a verdict in accordance with above facts.  Mr. McLean was resident of Utica, and member of Dr. Fowler's church.  He is said to have been an honest, industrious and sober man, and leaves a wife and child in destitute circumstances.  He was about 23 years of age.  (RCNov26/1856)           [see also (RCNov05/1856)-McLANE]

WILSON - An old man named WILSON, aged 86, who recently died in Miller county, Illinois, left directions that he should be salted down before being consined to his grave.  This singular request was complied with, and he was buried in a cavity of a cliff, at a depth of fifty feet.  (RCNov26/1856)

BUCK - Gerge W. Zecher, of Madison county, NY, who is charged with murdering a farmer in that county, named BUCK, will have his second trial at the next court, which will be held in December.  He was tried in September last, but the jury failed to agree.  (RCNov26/1856)

GARVIN - In Rome, New York, at 3 o'clock Sunday morning, November 23, 1856, Miss ANN GARVIN, aged twenty years.  (RCNov26/1856)

WINSTON - At Fort Washington, on Thursday morning, November 20th, 1856, Mrs. SUSAN WINSTON, relict of the late Frederick Winston, in the 77th year of her age.  (RCNov26/1856)

LINDLEY - In Utica, New York, on Wednesday, November 19th, 1856, JOHN T. LINDLEY, aged 30 years.  (RCNov26/1856)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, December 3, 1856

WALBRIDGE - ROCESTER K. WALBRIDGE, U.S. 4th Artillery, son of Henry Walbridge, of Lockport, was found dead in the woods near Geneva last Sunday, having terminated his life by the discharge of pistol.  He graduated at West Point in 1846, and spent most of his army life at remote military posts.  The Lockport Couries says that he had been at home a few weeks, and was ordered to a third banishment in Florida.

Long confinement at isolated posts had made him sick of life, moody, for New York, intending to join his regiment and sail with for Florida.  But it seems that instead of taking passage for the South, he returned from New York to Geneva, which was his birth-place.  There, under an aberation of mind bordering upon insanity, and carried away no doubt by a sentiment of melancholy which had become habitual, he closed his existence by suicide.  (RCDec03/1856)

CHAMPLIN - In Whitestown, New York, November 24th, 1856, ELON GALUSHA CHAMPLIN, in the 21st year of his age.  (RCDec03/1856)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, December 10, 1856

HOUGHTON - A young man named WILLIAM HOUGHTON, in Wright's dry goods store, Cincinnati, was recently bitten by a spider near the abdomen, and his sufferings were so severe that he only survived a few hours.  The faculty say, that it is the only occurrence of the kind that ever came within their knowledge.  (RCDec10/1856)

STANLEY - THOMAS STANLEY, of Little Falls, N. J., attempted to commit suicide by taking laudanum, last Sunday, and was discovered by his daughter in a state of torpidity, verging on death.  A physician was called, who decided that the only means of restoring animation, was to give the subject a severe beating, which was done by two men with heavy switches for a quarter of an hour, when signs of returning animation were shown, and thus finally the patient recovered.  (RCDec10/1856) [see also (RCDec24/1856)-McINTIRE]

GLENNON - The trial of James Flynn, for the murder of EDWARD GLENNON, at Suspension Bridge, was concluded at Lockport, on Saturday morning by a verdict of Guilty.  Flynn and his victim were butchers, who had been in partnership, and disagreeing in their settlement of accounts, a quarrel ensued, when Flynn shot the unfortunate man.  (RCDec10/1856)

WHITMAN - A very melancholy death occurred in John Brown's Tract a few days since.  Two men named WHITMAN and Bailey from Hastings, Oswego Co. visited the Tract for the purpose of hunting and fishing.  They erected a shanty, and after they had been there a short time Mr. Bailey was taken alarmingly ill.  His friend nursed him for some days, and finally as he began to get better, left for the purpose of pursuing game.

He promised to be absent only a few hours, but did not return that night.  Several days elapsed and he still did not return, Mr. B. remaining in his rough couch alone and too weak to leave it.  Another hunter finally came across the hut, and found how things were situated.  He procured help and proceeded to search for Whitman.  At length they came across his gun and traps on the bank of a stream which was frozen over, and discovered a hole broken in the ice.  On examining, they discovered the body of W. at the bottom; they recovered it and laid it out on the bank, but as they were many miles from any habitation, and without ability to carry it, they were obliged to go for more help; and to prevent the wolves from devouring the body in their absence, it was again placed in the water, and anchored until their return.  Help was finally procured, and the body and the sick companion were finally conveyed home to their friends in Hastings.
--Oneida Herald.       (RCDec10/1856)

POOLE - The jury in the case of Louis Baker, tried at Newburgh, for the murder of BILL POOLE, failed to agree.  They were out thirty hours.   (RCDec10/1856)

POND - In Rome, New York, on Monday, December 8, 1856, JULIA ANN, widow of the late Julius Pond, of Clinton, in her 63d year.  (RCDec10/1856)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, December 17, 1856

SCHOTS -The Grand Jury of the Criminal Court, says the Baltimore Sun, have indicted William Richardson for the wilful murder of JOHN SCHOTS, on the day of the last election on Alice Anna street.  This makes eleven murder indictments during the present term all by shooting.  (RCDec17/1856)

SULLY - Frank Short, on trial at Buffalo, NY, for the murder of ROBERT M. SULLY, has been acquitted on the ground that the death of Sully was attributable to natural causes.   (RCDec17/1856)

BARTON - In Rome, New York, on Tuesday evening, December 9th, 1856, Miss ELIZABETH BARTON, daughter of N. H. Barton, aged 17 years.   (RCDec17/1856)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, December 24, 1856

STOCKWELL - At Chappequa, Westchester county, NY, on Tuesday week, Mrs. J. STOCKWELL, wife of John Stockwell, an Englishman, lay down on the Harlem R.R. track, just before the arrival of the Albany mail train, by which she was torn into threads.  (RCDec24/1856)

APPLEGATE - D. W. APPLEGATE, sheriff of Brown county, Ohio, went into the debtor's room in the jail at Georgetown, on Monday last, and cut his throat with a razor.  He was a man of good habits and of considerable property.  (RCDec24/1856)

DICKERMAN - Mrs. Dickerman and her sister Miss Platner, got into an altercation while sitting in the house of the former, in Stockport, NY., recently,  when Miss P. threw a pair of scissors in a rage at Mrs. D., striking an INFANT which was in the mother's arms and killing it instantly.  Miss Platner is in jail, awaiting the action of the grand jury.   (RCDec24/1856)

McINTIRE - Another Suicide Resuscitated by Flogging --In New York city on Sunday, PATRICK McINTIRE undertook to destroy his life by taking laudanum, and was conveyed by the police to a station house, where a physician attended, but gave up the case as hopeless.  The police, however, were not satisfied, and sent for another physician.  The latter stripped the patient and with a leather belt flogged him until the blood came.  With the blood also came the patient's senses; and strange to say, by this novel treatment, he was completely restored.  (RCDec24/1856)  [see also (RCDec10/1856)-STANLEY]

VAN ETTEN - Albany, NY, Dec. 19. --JOHN B. VAN ETTEN, a lumber dealer, died suddenly this evening (December 19, 1856) on the Troy Road, from excitement, it is supposed, in endeavoring to stop his horse which had run away.  Mr. Van Etten, four years ago, represented Chemung in the Assembly, and Albany County in '55.  (RCDec24/1856)

NORSWORTHY - THOMAS NORSWORTHY, the oldest man in Salem, died on Monday, he having nearly completed a century of life.  (RCDec24/1856)

CHAPMAN - Gen. JOHN J. CHAPMAN, an eminent Marylander, and President of the National Whig Convention of 1852, died in Charles county, on Wednesday.   (RCDec24/1856)

FOWLER - At Holland Patent, New York, December 11, 1856, LAURA L. FOWLER, wife of Homer T. Fowler, and daughter of Thomas Peabody of Trenton, Oneida Co., NY, aged 22 years.   (RCDec24/1856)

BARKER - In Kirkland, New York, on Tuesday, December 16, 1856, WARDELL BARKER, aged 83 years.  (RCDec24/1856)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, December 31, 1856

DEFOE - Homesick Suicide --The Lockport Courier learns that a young lady named SOPIA DEFOE, who was attending school at Tonawanda, committed suicide by hanging, on Saturday last.  Her parents formerly resided a Lewistop, in Niagara county, but now in Michigan.  Deceased, about ten days since, went to Tonawanda to attend school, and her suicide is attributed to grief at being separated from her relatives.  Just before she went out to commit the crime she complained of being homesick.   (RCDec31/1856)

SCHAFFER - From the Utica Gazette --A German named CHARLES SCHAFFER, residing on the road between Newark and Irvington, N. J., committed suicide on Sunday.  He had a quarrel with his wife in the morning, and hearing that she was about having him arrested, he gave a neighbor his bank-book, pocket book, and a letter stating that he intended to shoot a certain other neighbor and then kill himself.  He went and called out the person refered to and shot at him, but missed him.  He then went home, shut himself up in his house and blew out his own brains.  The following is a copy of the letter to his wife:

Dearest of my life: --Here I send you the last I have and what I can do.  You have never rested until I put an end to my life, which was your most sincere wish.  So that you see that I love you dearly, it shall be done.  Take this bank book, and my pocket-book, with the last dollar.  Let my shop bill be settled.  I have $28 coming to me, which belongs to you.  It is my last will to kill our Caesar (a dog.)  It is harder to me than to kill myself.  I have seen your last scandall which you transacted on me.  I forgive it all to you, that you may see I love you well. --By God, I love you passionately.  I could not live without you.  You was my dearest on earth, and you have rewarded my love shamefully.  Your wish was to kill me, and it is done.  Don't make yourself any remorse about it, that you have killed me.  I forgive you all, and die with joy to put an end to my sickness.  Since fifteen years already the wish has worked it to me to take my life. --But the love to you, dearest of my heart, has always kept it to me.  Oh! the sweet word, dearest, makes it hard for me to die.  Lizette, what have you done?  Farewell forever! Farewell! and once more, dearest of my heart, farewell!  Your loving till death.
             Charles Schaffer
P.S.  My sorrowful sickness was all for which you ever alone doomed me.        (RCDec31/1856)

Barbara Andresen