Rome Citizen Death Notices in 1865

Thanks to Barbara Andresen for sending this in!

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, July 7, 1865

KINNEY - In Westmoreland, New York, July 5, 1865, at the residence of his father, Ebenezer Kinney, Esq., of comsumption, J. ORA KINNEY, aged 28 years.  (RCJul07/1865)

VAN KEUREN - A man named CORNELIUS VAN KEUREN, aged 81 years, committed suicide on Tuesday, June 27, 1865, by throwing himself into the creek near Stockport.  He stripped bark from a tree and tied his hands together to make sure his object.  (RCJul07/1865)

WATSON BEACH and WILLIAM LINDSLY of Co. G, 117th Reg't died at the battle of Laurel Hill, Virginia, together.  (RCJul07/1865)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, July 14, 1865

SMITH - Mrs. MARY SMITH, of Utica, New York, a lady aged about 66 years, committed suicide, by taking a dose of arsenic, on Sunday afternoon, (July 9, 1865) from the effects of which she died in a few hours.  It appears that she has meditated taking her life for some time, and there is no doubt that she was deranged.  The act was very deliberate on her part, and she conversed freely with her friends on various subjects before she died.  The reason she gave for such an act, was her dislike to an intended marriage of her daughter.  (RCJul14/1865)

SEGAR - A little daughter of Martin Segar, of  Rome, New York, was burned so badly on Monday afternoon last (July 10, 1865) that she died in a few hours.  A little brother was playing in the fire with a piece of paper, and through some means the child's clothing became ignited, and in a few moments she was inwrapped in flames.  Dr.  Kingsley was immediately summoned, but could do nothing for the little sufferer, and during the evening she expired.  (RCJul14/1865)

HOWE - Miss EMERETTE HOWE, of Deansville, New York, a young lady about 24 years, deliberately took her life on Sunday night, July 2, 1865, by removing her hoop skirt, and fastening a large stone in her underclothes and then jumping into the Chinango canal.  Miss Howe, had been absent from home some time, but returned on the day of her death, appearing somewhat sad.  She complained of a headache, and said she thought a walk would help her.  She put a shawl round her shoulders and left the house about 9 o'clock, the last she was seen alive.  Miss Howe was a member of the church, and was esteemed as a lady of unblemished character.  A post mortem examination, was held on the body, but nothing was elicited that gave any pretext for the rash act.  (RCJul14/1865)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, July 28, 1865

BICKNELL - In Westmoreland, New York, July 22, 1865, JENNIE A., youngest daughter of J.Y. and A.E. Bicknell, aged 11 months and 16 days.  (RCJul28/1865)

CLARK - A man by the name of EDWIN J. CLARK was run over by the mail train on Monday morning last, (July 24, 1865) about one mile west of Green's Corners, NY.  He was a trackman on the New York Central Railroad, and just previous to the accident was attending to his duties.  In order to avoid the freight train going west on the north track, he stepped over on the south track, and was struck and instantly killed by the mail train which at that moment passed the spot going eastward.  He had been in the employ of the Company but a month, and was forty-five years of age.  His body was taken to Verona, NY for interment.  (RCJul28/1865)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, August 4, 1865

ROBOTHAM - In West Leyden, New York, July 9, 1865, after a lingering illness of five months, WILLIAM H. ROBOTHAM, son of Thomas and Isabella Robotham, aged 38 years, 3 months and 17 days.  (RCAug04/1865)

MATTESON - In Rome, New York, July 29, 1865, at the residence of Mrs. Sally Farquharson, MARY MATTESON, daughter of Mrs. Mary Matteson, in the 16th year of her age.  For many months she had lingered and wasted under the hand of a pulmonary disease.  Her funeral was attended at the Presbyterian Church.  (RCAug04/1865)

HARRINGTON - EDWARD HARRINGTON shot to death by Mr. J. Hagan, the gate-keeper at the New Hartford toll gate between Utica, NY and New Hartford, NY, on Wednesday night, July 26, 1865.  Coronor's Jury ruled -- self-defence.  (RCAug04/1865)

QUINN - A man by the name of EDWARD QUINN, was drowned in the Erie Canal, at Whiteboro, New York, on Thursday night last. (July 27, 1865)   The body was recovered on Saturday morning, about four rods below the bridge.  Quinn is spoken of as an industrious and orderly citizen in main, but on the night on which he was drowned, was under the influence of liquor.  Coroner Munroe held an inquest on Saturday.  The jury rendered the following verdict:
     "That the said Edward Quinn was, on the night of the 27th inst., very much intoxicated, and on the morning of the 29th was found drowned in the Erie Canal."  (RCAug04/1865)

NULL - On Monday last (July 31, 1865) a man named NULL, living near New Hartford, New York, went into the lot to catch his horse, when the fractious animal turned and planted both hind feet in his side, breaking several ribs, and producing internal injuries, from the effects of which he died in a short time.  (RCAug04/1865)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, August 11, 1865

O'RILEY - WILLIE J. O'RILEY of Utica, New York, drowned Sunday evening last. (August 6, 1865)  The little boy fell into the cistern.  (RCAug11/1865)

HEMMER - A German tailor named FREDERICK HEMMER was thrown from a wagon in Utica, New York on Monday (August 7, 1865) and died a short time later.  (RCAug11/1865)

COWLES - In Rome, New York, August 9, 1865, CORA M., youngest daughter of J.A. and S.D. Cowles, aged 1 year, 7 months and 15 days.  Funeral at the house corner Washington and Bloomfield streets.  (RCAug11/1865)

WANNER - In Utica, New York, on Saturday, August 5, 1865, CHRISTIAN WANNER, aged 55 years, 3 months and 21 days.  (RCAug11/1865)

KARR - In Rome, New York, on July 28, 1865, at the residence of her son, R.A. Karr, Mrs. LOIS P. KARR, aged 73 years.  She was the mother of nine children, five of whom survive her.  The remains were taken to New York Mills for Interment.  (RCAug11/1865)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, August 18, 1865

DALEY - The body of a boy named DALEY was found in the Chenango  Canal in Utica, New York, on Monday . (August 14, 1865)  The deceased was about eight years of age, and had been in the water but a short time.  Coroner Monroe held an inquest.  (RCAug18/1865)

GIBLIN - JAMES GIBLIN, of Chittenango, came to his death on Thursday last, in the following manner:  He was engaged in loading hay upon a stack.  The hay was being put on the stack by a horse pitch-fork, by which the deceased was accidentally knocked off the stack, and falling upon his own fork with his whole weight, the tines were forced entirely through his body.  The unfortunate man lingered in great agony about fifteen minutes, when death put an end to his sufferings.  The deceased was a peaceful, industrious, good citizen.  (RCAug18/1865)

HOLSTED - In Annsville, New York, August 14, 1865, of Diptheria, JAMES B. W. HOLSTED, aged 21 years, 8 months and 23 days.  (RCAug18/1865)

From ROMAN  CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, August 25, 1865

FLANDRAU - In Rome, New York, August 18, 1865, of Hooping Cough, THOMAS FOOTE, son of Doctor T.M. and Clara F. Flandrau, aged 2 months and 21 days.  (RCAug25/1865)

ASKEY - A Verona, New York correspondent of the Sentinel says, that a family of brothers, eleven in number, named ASKEY, residents of that town, enlisted in the Union army; that none have returned and it is supposed that all have given their lives in the defense of the nation.  An enduring monument should be erected to their memory, and a movement is already under consideration for that purpose.  (RCAug25/1865)

EGGLESTON - We learn from the Watertown Reformer that a deaf man, by the name of P. B. EGGLESTON, was run over and killed near Pierrepont Manor, on Friday, (August 18, 1865) by the afternoon work train going north.  He was walking on the track and not being able to hear the alarm, kept on until struck by the locomotive.  He was terribly crushed and mangled, and died instantly.  He was fifty-eight years.  His home was in McConnelsville, Oneida County, New York.  Mr. Eggleston had been living at the home of a relative about a mile south of Adams.  (RCAug25/1865)

Barbara Andresen