Rome Citizen Death Notices in 1886

Thanks to Barbara Andresen for sending this in!

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, September 2, 1887

CUMINGS - In Deerfield, New York, August 25, 1887, JOSEPHINE, daughter of Mrs. Sophia and the late George Cumings, aged 19 years.  (RCSep02/1887)

HOLLISTER - In Utica, New York, August 29, 1887, NATHAN HOLLISTER, aged 69 years.  (RCSep02/1887)

McBRIDE - At Clinton, New York, August 28, 1887, MICHAEL McBRIDE, aged 76 years.  (RCSep02/1887)

SCOTT - In Bridgewater, New York, August 30, 1887, GARRET SCOTT, in the 89th year of his age.  (RCSep02/1887)

BAILEY - At Holland Patent, at 1 A.M. September 1, 1887, Rev. HUGH BAILEY, brother of James Bailey, of 4 Rutger Place, Utica, New York, aged 57 years.  (RCSep02/1887)

COTTER - In New York Mills, New York, August 31, 1887, MAGGIE, daughter of Frank and the late Julia Cotter, aged 3 months and 21 days.  (RCSep02/1887)

COLLINS - The remains of Miss JULIA COLLINS, daughter of Daniel Collins, of Amsterdam, NY were brought to Taberg, NY, Tuesday, (August 30, 1887) for burial.  She died of consumption, aged 20 years.  (RCSep02/1887)

RANNEY - OLIVER F. RANNEY died last Sunday (August 28, 1887) and the funeral was held at the house, Tuesday, (August 30, 1887) and the remains were deposited in Maple Hill cemetery. (Taberg, NY).  His age was     4_? years and 6 months.  (RCSep02/1887)

HOUCK - Upper Point Rock, New York.  A child of Mr. and Mrs. J. Houck, aged two years, died Sunday, (August 28, 1887) of cholera infantum.  Both the West Leyden and Ava doctors were called, but they could not save it.  God had called, and the little one had to go.  (RCSep02/1887)

LINK - GEORGE LINK, who has been a resident of the town of Lewis for a great many years, died in Utica, NY, August 23, 1887.  He leaves two sons and one daughter in the town of Lewis, and about $4,000, all the property he had, to a Catholic institution in Utica, where he was staying at the time of his death.  Of course that was real good in the old man, to save the heirs the great trouble they would have had in getting the money out of the bank and then dividing it satisfactorily [my photocopy stops here-transcriber].      (RCSep02/1887)

FINLEY - A lad named EDDIE FINLEY, son of Edward Finley, who resides on Floyd Avenue, (Rome, NY) on Sunday (August 30, 1887) climbed into the cupola on the large barn located on the Stryker & Jones farm, to look at some doves' eggs.  When he turned to descend he missed his footing and fell to the floor, a distance of about 30 feet, striking on his back and hips.  Dr. R. E. Sutton was summonded, and it was found that the little fellow was completely paralyzed from the waist down, the shock having produced concussion of the spine.  He experienced no pain, but retained his senses nearly all the time till Monday (August 29, 1887) afternoon, when he died, the shock to his system proving too severe for his vitality.  This is a sad warning to boys who are in the habit of climbing recklessly in barns and high buildings.  Deceased was 10 years, 8 months and 28 days old.  (RCSep02/1887)

WALKER - Mrs. HARRIET N. WALKER, of Sherburne, New York, mother of Mrs. Leroy S. Wilcox, of Rome, New York, died last Monday, (August 29, 1887) aged 67 years.  Deceased was born at Camden, Oneida county, NY.  (RCSep02/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, September 9, 1887

LEE - At New York Mills, New York, September 3, 1887, WILLIAM LEE, brother of Ralph Lee, aged 37 years, 2 months and 2 days.  (RCSep09/1887)

GRANT - At Stittville, New York, September 4, 1887, JAMES ALEXANDER, only son of William C. and Frances M. Grant.  (RCSep09/1887)

BACKER - At Deerfield, New York, September 4, 1887, JOHN BACKER, aged 39 years, 5 months and 6 days.  (RCSep09/1887)

STAFFORD - At Waterville, New York, September 3, 1887, JOHN W. STAFFORD, aged 73 years.  (RCSep09/1887)

JACKSON - At New Hartford, New York, September 1, 1887, ADELLA CANESSA, wife of Fred F. Jackson, aged 25 years and 4 months.  (RCSep09/1887)

ORTON - In Rome, New York, September 5, 1887, at the residence of Mr. G. W. G. Kinney, 210 W. Embargo street, after a severe illness, MARTHA ELIZABETH, wife of Frederick M. Orton, aged 37 years.  Mrs. Orton was a daughter of the late Job Barnard, of Lee, New York, in which town she was born in 1850.  Besides her husband, to whom she was married on September 14, 1874, she leaves three sisters -- Mrs. G. W. G. Kinney, of Rome, NY, Mrs. E. B. Lewis, of Sunset, Colorado, and Mrs. H. H. Phillips, of Boulder, Colorado.   (RCSep09/1887)

DIEHLER - The dead body of AUGUST DIEHLER, was found Tuesday (September 6, 1887) morning, in a lot on the farm of his brother-in-law, Jacob Knuti, for whom he worked, between three and four miles north of this village (Lee Center, NY).  A short time before his death he had been seen running after the cows, and it is supposed heart disease was the cause.  Coroner Millington visited the farm of Mr. Knuti Wednesday and summoned a jury, who rendered a verdict that the deceased came to his death from an enlargement of the heart and an accumulation of fibrine in the valves of the heart.  Mr. Diehler had charge of the Knuti farm, and leaves a wife to mourn.  (RCSep09/1887)

 JILLSON - Taberg, New York.  Mrs. JILLSON, widow of the late Ransom Jillson, Jr., died Tuesday (September 6, 1887) at the house of her sister, Mrs. John Hughes.  She was sister of John James and Zephania Owens.  She died of consumption, of which disease her husband died  three years ago.  The funeral was conducted to-day at 2 o'clock, at the house of Mr. Hughes, by Rev. D. W. Aylsworth. She was forty-eight years of age.  (RCSep09/1887)  [see also (RCApr25/1884)-JILLSON]

DUNHAM - Westernville, New York, JOHN D. DUNHAM, aged 81 years, who has been employed as lock tender on the Black River canal for the last five years, died yesterday (September 7, 1887) after an illness of nearly two weeks.  (RCSep09/1887)

SWIFT - In Juanita, Nebraska, August 20, 1887, B. E. SWIFT, aged 78 years.  Barnabas E. Swift, was born September 22, 1809, in Plymouth, Mass.  He was married to Miss H. C. Savery, March 11, 1832, moved from Plymouth to Annsville, New York, in 1837, where he remained till the fall of 1875, when he emigrated to Adams county, Neb., where he died August 20, 1887.  Brother Swift was converted at the age of 30, and joined the M.E. church, of which he remained a member, and dearly loved till the day of his death.  For some time previous to his death his physical sight had been failing, but while things of a worldly nature became less and less visible to him, his spiritual vision grew clearer, and things of a heavenly nature came very near to him.  By his death the church has lost a faithful member, the community an upright citizen, the wife a devoted  husband and his children a loving parent.  (RCSep09/1887)

THOMSON - HARRY THOMSON, formerly of the firm of Thomson & Rowe, who for years were engaged in the restaurant and hotel business in Rome, New York, died recently at the home of his daughter, Mrs. M. W. Rowe, at Fair Haven, Conn., at the age of 78 years.  (RCSep09/1887)

RUSSELL - On Wednesday (September 7, 1887), Mrs. KATE RUSSELL of Clayville, New York where she was picking hops.  They were hurrying along as fast as possible when Mrs. Russell stopped suddenly and said:  "Don't leave me; I am dying."  With those words she fell to the ground and expired almost instantly.  It was thought at first that Mrs. Russell's death was caused by a stroke of lightning.  But it appears that she had been in feeble health and suffering from heart disease, and it is considered probable that the exertion which she made to reach shelter resulted in a cessation of the heart's action.  The body was taken to Clayville.  The deceased was 70 years of age.  (RCSep09/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, September 16, 1887

EDWARDS - In Rome, New York, September 11, 1887, Mrs. ELIZABETH EDWARDS, wife of John R. Edwards aged 73 years.  (RCSep16/1887)   [the following in another ariticle]
             Mrs. Edwards, widow of the late John R. Edwards, and mother of Richard R. Edwards, of Rome, NY, died at her home on North Madison street Sunday afternoon.  The cause of her death was cancer of the stomach.  She had been a resident of Rome for about 40 years.  The funeral was held at the Welsh Calvinistic church on North Washington street Tuesday.  Deceased was 72 years of age, and besides the son named above was the mother of John R. Edwards, of Columbus, Ohio; Mrs. R. J. Evans, of Fair Haven, Conn., and Mrs. C. A. Fanneuf, of Rome, NY.  (RCSep16/1887)

McGUIRE - In Clinton, New York, September 10, 1887, WILLIAM JACKSON McGUIRE, aged 23, a member of the Junior Class in Hamilton College.  (RCSep16/1887)  [from another article in same paper]
               He Dies Suddenly at Clinton of Typhoid Fever.
          The sad news of the death of William J. McGuire reached this city (Rome, NY) Saturday (September 10, 1887) morning, a few hours after his demise.  His death occured at Clinton, and as was stated last week, he had been ill but a short time with typhoid fever.  He was the son of John C. McGuire, of North Western, New York.  At an early age he manifestered a strong desire for knowledge and his parents did all in their power to gratify him.  At the Westernville Union school he prepared himself for entry to Rome Academy, where he took a four year course in three years, graduating with the class of '82.  He than read law for a short time at the office of James Parks, when he entered Hamilton college.  After spending a year there, he was compelled to leave to recruit his finances, and he came to this city (Rome, NY) and entered the law office of Scripture & Backus.  While here he acted as correspondent of various newspapers.  In this way he succeeded in saving enough, with which to re-enter college for a time.  He was a close student and a hard worker, excelling in everything he undertook.  When not in school, he turned his hand to any honorable calling that would increase his means for securing an education.  His parents rendered him all the aid they could.  He gave promise of being an excellent orator, as well as a useful career in the profession which he intended to adopt as his life work -- the law.  His ardor and the work necessary to gratify his thirst for knowledge proved too much for his physical being, which succombed to that dread disease, typhoid fever, which struck him down just when he was beginning to open the pathway to the goal he was seeking.     Besides his parents, the deceased leaves a brother, Dr. James McQuire, of Chicago, and two sisters, Miss Ida I McGuire, of Boston, and Miss Jennie McGuire, who is attending school at Brimfield, Mass.  Miss Ida was with the deceased during his illness.
     The funeral was held in the chapel of Hamilton college Sunday afternoon.  The services were conducted by Rev. James H. Taylor, of this city.  Remarks were made by Dr. Darling and other members of the faculty of the college.  The bearers were members of the class of '89, of which the deceased was a member.  The interment took place in the college cemetery on the hill.  It was the first burial of a student that had been made there in twenty years.  There is a movement on foot among the students to raise a fund by subscription for the purchase of a monument.  (RCSep16/1887)

DARLING - Rev. CHARLES C. DARLING, of Utica, New York, aged 87 years, died last evening at the Clarendon hotel in that city, where he had resided since the death of his wife in 1882.  He was born in New Haven, Conn., and was always prominently connected with institutions of learning.  (RCSep16/1887)

LITGENZER - LORENZO LITGENZER, a German, was found dead in his bed at Whitesboro Saturday (September 10, 1887) afternoon.  He had been employed as carver in the Quigley furniture factory.  When he retired Friday night he was in good health.  He is supposed to have died from natural causes.  (RCSep16/1887)

SCHICK - In Lee, New York, September 12, 1887, CATHERINE RICHMOND, wife of Dr. William H. Schick, of Chicago, aged 37 years and 2 months.  Funeral at the Lee Valley, NY church, Sept. 18th.   (RCSep16/1887)
           Catherine Richmond Schick, wife of Dr. William H. Schick of Chicago, died at the residence of Mr. Jones, who resides opposite the dwelling of John Golly, in Lee Valley, NY, about 5 A.M. last Monday, September 12, 1887.  Deceased was the daughter of the late Micah Richmond.  Several years ago she married Mr. Schick and took up her residence in Chicago, where she remained until about a year ago, when she returned to Lee because of failing health, and resided with her sisters, the Misses Eliza and Margaret Richmond, until last spring.  At that time the homestead dwelling was burned, and Mrs. Schick was compelled to ask shelter elsewhere in the neighborhood.  About three weeeks ago she was taken worse, and a room was secured in the dwelling of Mr. Jones, where her sisters took care of her until death came to her release.  Her disease was consumption, the symptoms of which were first manifest about four years ago.  Everything that kind hands and loving hearts could do was done to baffle the disease, but efforts were of no avail; the dread destroyer had claimed her for a victim.  Deceased was aged 37 years and 2 months.  Besides the husband and two sisters mentioned above, she leaves two other sisters and one brother -- Mrs. Caroline Barnard, of Lee, Mrs. Wright Willson and Charles Richmond, of Point Rock, NY.  The funeral services will occur next Sunday at 2 P.M. at the Valley church.  (RCSep16/1887)

WALDO - In Western, New York, September 14, 1887, ISAIAH A. WALDO, who was born 78 years ago, died on the farm where he was brought up and always resided, this morning at 7:30 o'clock.  Feebleness incident to old age had afflicted him for a long time, but he was not confined to his bed till about a week prior to his death.  His principles were strongly Republican, but he never entered prominently into politics.  He was a man who always held the confidence and esteem of his neighbors, who respected him accordingly.  The following children survive him:  Mrs. C. D. Olney, of Eatonville, N.J.; Mrs. O. H. White, of South Richland, Oswego county; Mrs. L. P. Burk, of Gansevoort Saratoga county; J. O. Waldo, of Western; Burt I. Waldo, of Petosky, Michigan.  The funeral will occur on Friday, at 11 A.M., at the family residence.  (RCSep16/1887)

FITCH - In Rome, New York, September 9, 1887, HENRY, son of Mr. and Mrs. L. M. Fitch, of diptheria, aged 14 years.  (RCSep16/1887)

FELT - At Verona Springs, New York, September 8, 1887, JOHN JOHNSON FELT, of California, aged 66 years.  (RCSep16/1887)

ROWAN - In Oneida, New York, September 10, 1887, HUGH ROWAN, father of Ald. Thomas Rowan of Rome, New York, aged 63 years.  (RCSep16/1887)

WILLIAMS - In the town of Verona, New York, September 5, 1887, FRANK DE VER, after a brief illness of diabetes, aged 15 years, 6 months and 25 days.  Deceased was the son of George R. and Eliza Williams.  Funeral services were held at the First Verona Seventh-day Baptist church September 7, 1887.  (RCSep16/1887)

DONOVAN - Westernville, New York.  A son of James Sherman, of Forestport, driver for the canal boat, Maggie and Clara, Capt. WILLIAM DONOVAN, fell from the boat yesterday afternoon at lock 12, about two miles below this place.  He was caught between the boat and the side of the lock and so badly injured that he died a few hours after.  Dr. Gillett attended him.  (RCSep16/1887)

KRAGER - AUGUSTUS KRAGER , of Boston, caught a ride on the bumpers between two freight cars on the Central railroad Sunday night (September 11, 1887), and as the train was passing a point about two miles east of Oriskany, New York, he fell to the ground while asleep.  His legs came in contact with the wheels and his left leg was entirely cut off, while the right was terribly crushed and mangled.  He fell in a pool of water, and lay there unable to move, although conscious.  Between 7 and 8 o'clock Monday morning the Utica and Syracuse pick-up train came along, and brought him to this city (Rome, NY) and placed him in the city hospital.  Drs. R. E. and H. C. Sutton, West and Nock were summoned, and after working over him for some time failed to bring him out of the unconscious state into which he had fallen, and he died about 10 o'clock.  (RCSep16/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, September 23, 1887

HALBERT - In Whitesboro, New York, September 15, 1887, HORACE HALBERT, aged 78 years.  (RCSep23/1887)

SEELYE - At New York Mills, New York, September 16, 1887, ELIZA C., wife of William Seelye, aged 66 (or 68?) years.  (RCSep23/1887)

BAILEY - In Rome, New York, September 17, 1887, of consumption, Miss ELLEN R. BAILEY, aged 41 years.  (RCSep23/1887)

GAGE - In Rome, New York, September 21, 1887, of typhoid fever, LIBBIE E., daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Gage, aged 17 years, 11 months and 15 days.  She was a member of the M. E. church.  The remains will be taken to Whitestown for interment.   (RCSep23/1887)

PORTER - In Steuben, New York, September 21, 1887, RECTINA, widow of the late Solomon Porter, aged 84? years.  She had been ill for five weeks with disease of the heart.  The funeral occurs at 2 P.M. to-day at the M.E. church, Carmichael Hill, in the town of Western, New York.  (RCSep23/1887)

WEST - At the home of her daughter, Mrs. S. P. Wing, in Appleton, Wisconsin, September 9, 1887, Mrs. ELEANOR WEST, aged 84 years.  Mrs. West was a native of Oneida county, New York.  For the last eighteen years she had resided in Appleton, where she made many friends, her funeral being attended by a large concourse of people.  Mrs. West leaves three daughters -- Mrs. William F. Johnson and Mrs. S. P. Wing, of Appleton, Wisc., and Mrs. Brownell of Oneida, New York.  (RCSep23/1887)

ADAMS - WALKER ADAMS, a former resident of Ava, New York, who had been absent about thirty years, last Wednesday, in company with his wife and daughter, visited the old homestead where his boyhood days were spent, on the farm now owned by Charles Hunt.  Mr. Adams and family had just returned from an extended tour in Europe, having visited Paris, London, Geneva and many of the principal cities on the continent.  On Thursday they entertained about twenty of their relative and friends at Stanwix Hall, in Rome, New York.  At 6 P.M. they left for their home in Davenport, Iowa, arriving there early Saturday morning.  Saturday evening (September 17, 1887) a telegram was received by Mr. Adams friends announcing his death that day after his arrival home.  (RCSep23/1887)  [following was printed in the Sep 23 issue, an article appearing in the Davenport Democrat-Gazette]
               Walker Adams was born in Ava, Oneida county, NY, September 12, 1822 -- only six days since he ended his 65th year.  He was reared in business habits.  In 1857 he came west, settling in Wisconsin, engaging in business, principally in Oshkosh.  He came from that city to Davenport in 1866, and engaged in the lumber trade, his principal lines being hard wood and barrel stuffs.  He prospered in his business.  Years ago he purchased a home, which became one of the handsomest in the city.  The firm of Adams and Hayward, organized in the '70's, became well known throughout the west.  In 1884 Mr. Adams was elected president of the Davenport Savings Bank -- succeeding Charles E. Putnam, who preceded him but a few weeks to the other world -- and retired from the business in which he had so long been engaged, to devote his time to the interests of the bank.  He was an efficient executive -- all who had dealings with him became, as all others who had made his acquaintance, his friend.  His mind was stored with useful information, he was open and manly in all his dealings, and so pleasant and affable in demeanor, that the impression that he was a true man made him popular in the business community.  (RCSep23/1887)

HOFFMAN - Rome, New York.  Rev. ERNEST HOFFMAN, formerly pastor of the German Trinity church in this city, died in Castleton Wednesday night. (September 21, 1887)  For the past twenty-eight years he was pastor of the First German Lutheran church of Albany, NY.  The deceased was a brother-in-law of Mrs. John Reifert, of Rome, New York.  (RCSep23/1887)

SMITH - Capt. OZRO H. SMITH was born in the town of Murray, Orleans Co., NY, August 30, 1822.  For many years he was engaged in freighting on the Erie and northern canals.  He formerly lived in New London, was a resident there a number of years and owned a house and lot.  He was universally esteemed and respected by all who knew him.  He was widely known in Rome, NY.  He was a person who knew no guile, because there was none in him, and was one of the most kind hearted, genial and even tempered men in existence.  For ten years past he has had constant employment, winter and summer, in lightening grain in and around New York harbor.  For several weeks past he has been in a decline, wasting to a mere skelton, and expired September 16, 1887, being 65 years and 17 days old.  He died on his boat, on which, with his estimable wife, he has tarried so long.  His widow and two daughters survive him.  Both of his daughters are married and have pleasant homes, and desired to have their father with them during his sickness and death, but he preferred to breathe out his life on his own craft, and died in the full assurance of a blessed immortality.  His remains were taken to Rome, NY.  Funeral services were held at the residence of his brother-in-law, P. T. Swan, after which the good man's remains were consigned to rest in the Rathbunville cemetery.  [above from a New York city news item]   (RCSep23/1887)

FENTON - At Taberg, New York.  WILLIE E., only child of Chester and Hattie Fenton, died at five o'clock this morning (September 21, 1887), aged about eight months.  (RCSep23/1887)

WOODRUFF - On Saturday last (September 17, 1887) the remains of Mrs. SARAH WOODRUFF was brought to this place from her late home at Norwich, and the funeral services were held at the residence of her brother, D. W. Hazard.  The interment took place in their family cemetery near by.  In early life, and for many years she was a resident here, and all remember her as a kind friend and a sympathizing neighbor.  (RCSep23/1887)

JONES - WILLIE JONES, a blind boy, son of Mrs. Luella Jones, of Utica, New York, was drowned in the Erie canal in that city Tuesday. (September 20, 1887)  He was aged 14 years.  (RCSep23/1887)

RIPP - Rome, New York.  MICHAEL RIPP, died at his home on South James street, on Wednesday evening, (September 21, 1887) of consumption, aged 32 years.  He had been ill about a years.  Besides his mother, he leaves one brother.  (RCSep23/1887)

KIRKWOOD - On Wednesday morning (September 21, 1887) the dead body of JOHN KIRKWOOD, aged 76 of Barnes street [my photocopy cuts off here-transcriber]   (RCSep23/1887)

BROUGHTON - JAMES R. BROUGHTON, father of A. J. Broughton of Rome, New York, died at his home in Whitehall, on September 15, 1887.  Deceased was 67 years of age, and was engaged in the drug business.  Heart difficulty was the cause of his death.  Mr. Broughton was well known in Rome, he being in the habit of visiting his son here quite frequently.  He leaves five daughters besides the son.  (RCSep23/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, September 30, 1887

HETHERMAN - In Whitesboro, New York, Tuesday, September 27, 1887, MARTIN HETHERMAN, aged 87 years.  (RCSep30/1887)

DODD - In New Hartford, New York, Tuesday, September 27, 1887, THOMAS DODD, in his 63d year.  (RCSep30/1887)

BARKER - In Floyd, New York, September 21, 1887, SUSAN A., wife of John Barker.  (RCSep30/1887)

HERBST - In Rome, New York, on Friday, September 23, 1887, ADAM HERBST, aged 50 years.  (RCSep30/1887)

JONES - At Paris Hill, New York, September 24, 1887, MERRITT JONES, aged 69 years.  (RCSep30/1887)

JONES - In Whitesboro, New York, on Saturday, September 24, 1887, LAURA   A., daughter of Robert A. and Mary A. Jones, aged 18 years, 8 months and 17 days.  (RCSep30/1887)

WALLER - In Oswego, New York, on September 25, 1887, Mrs. JOHN WALLER, aged 61 years.  (RCSep30/1887)

DuBOIS - in Utica, New York, September 27, 1887, GEORGE DuBOIS, in his 58th years.  (RCSep30/1887)

BIDDLECOME - In Deerfield, New York, September 27, 1887, Miss AMY A. BIDDLECOME, sister of William W. Biddlecome, aged 64 years.  (RCSep30/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, October 1, 1886

GAINES - In New Hartford, New York, September 26, 1886, OLIVER GAINES, aged 47 years and 6 months.  (RCOct01/1886)

MORRIS - In Marcy, New York, September 27, 1886, ELLEN, wife of William Morris of Marcy, sister of James Edmunds, Mrs. D. J. Evans, and the late John Edmunds of Utica, and the late Hugh Edmunds of Steuben, aged 71 years.  (RCOct01/1886)

KING - In Rome, New York, September 24, 1886, CHARLES KING, aged 54 years.  (RCOct01/1886)

EVANS - In Rome, New York, on Friday, September 25, 1886, Mrs. LUCY EVANS, aged 67 years.  (RCOct01/1886)

MOORE - At Yorkville, New York, September 28, 1886, MARY, wife of James Moore, aged 41 years.  (RCOct01/1886)

RICHARDSON - At West Schuyler, New York, September 28, 1886, HANNAH, widow of Warren Richardson, aged 96 years, 7 months and 27 days.  (RCOct01/1886)

ZILLER - In New London, New York, September 24, 1886, NANCY ZILLER, wife of Adam Ziller, aged 43 years.  (RCOct01/1886)

STEDMAN - At Sauquoit, New York, on Friday, September 24, 1886, ISAAC STEDMAN, aged 79 years.  (RCOct01/1886)

WHITING - Michigan City, Ind., Sept. 27. --Two convicts confined in the Northern Penitentiary, FRANK WHITING and Charles Havens, both  from Indianapolis, the former in for ten years for burglary and the latter for fourteen years for a street car robbery, to-day made their third unsuccessful attempt to escape.  They were employed in the shoe shop on the third floor of the building.  Both of them have been wearing a ball and chain, but they managed to file these, and at 9:30 this morning when a switch engine, which had been at work inside the walls, started to pull out of the north gate, the two men suddenly broke from their work benches, knives and hammers in hand, and ran down stairs past the second floor to the ground, reaching there just as the engine came along.

The fireman was alone in the cab.  Whiting jumped on, and seizing the fireman by the throat threw him to one side, while he pulled the throttle wide open.  Havens had crowded into the cab in the meantime, and the fireman jumped off.  When the engine was within ten feet of the gate and running at a rapid rate of speed, a guard stationed on the wall shot Whiting through the heart, killing him instantly.  Havens clung to the engine until well outside, when he jumped and started for a corn field, with a guard close upon him.  Havens' ankle had been sprained in jumping, and finding himself unable to get away, he turned fiercely upon the guard and was shot in the head, the bullet glancing around his skull and only slightly stunning him.  He was locked up.  The engine was caught by a yardman and stopped.  Whiting and Havens, although both under 25 years of age, were the most desperate characters in the penitentuary.  (RCOct01/1886)

WHALEY - Dr. JAMES S. WHALEY, an esteemed citizen of Rome, New York, died at his home on Washington street last Friday (September 24, 1886).  The immediate cause of his death was neuralgia, resulting from a bad cold contracted three weeks earlier, though old age and a general wearing out of the system was believed to be the ultimate cause.  He suffered much during his brief illness, but his death was peaceful.

Dr. Whaley was 80 years old, having been born in Verona, NY, March 4, 1806.  His father, Dr. Alexander Whaley, was a Connecticul man, who settled in Verona toward the close of the last century.  He was one of the charter members of the Oneida County Medical Society, which was organized in 1806.  His son (our deceased friend) was educated at the distrit schools of Verona and the Fairfield Academy, and afterward graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Western New York.  He then associated himself with his father in the practice of medicine, and continued to practice in the town of Verona till 1862, when he went to Syracuse, and the following year came to Rome, where he has ever since resided.

He practiced medicine here for about fifteen years, relinquishing business about eight years ago.  He was identified with many business enterprises here, being at the time of his death vice president of Fort Stanwix National Bank, and also vice president and a director of Rome Iron Works.  He was also a prominent member of the Oneida County Medical Society, having at different times held the position of president and vice president and represented it as delegate to the National Medical Association.  He was at his death, and had been for many years, a communicant of Zion Church (Episcopal) in this city.  He was a gentleman of the old school, courteous and friendly, and esteemed by those who had the pleasure of his acquaintance.

Dr. Whaley was twice married -- in 1846, to Miss M. Louise Enos, daughter of Judge Enos of Westmoreland, who died in 1850; and several years later to Miss Charlotte C. Higgins of Higginsville, who with one son, James H. Whaley of this city, survives him.

Funeral services were held at the late residence of deceased, on Washington street, at 11 o'clock Monday forenoon, conducted by Rev. Dr. Egar of Zion Church.  The city physicians attended in a body, and a large number of business men and citizens generally were present.  The pall bearers were the following directors of the Stanwix National and Rome Savings banks:  H. G. Utley, B. J. Beach, G. N. Boswell, H. D. Spencer, George Barnard, F. H. Thomas, H. G. Wright, A. P. Tuller, L. Gaheen, Samuel Wardwell, James H. Searles, G. V. Selden and Wheeler Armstrong.  The bearers were:  H. W. Pell, A. M. Jackson, William Besley, George Wilson, John Townsend and George W. Chase.  The interment took place at Verona  (RCOct01/1886)

COOKE - Taberg, New York news item:  Mrs. Allen P. Cooke is very low.  She has a cancer in the stomach.  (RCOct01/1886)

 COOKE -Taberg, NY news item:  Mrs. LODEMA COOKE, relict of the late John W. Cooke of Syracuse, departed the 1st of the present month, at the ripe old age of 89 years, in the bright hope of a blissful immortality.  She was born in Lee (old Stockbridge), Mass., October 20, 1797, and was married to J. W. Cooke, of Providence, R. I., in 1818.  She had resided in Syracuse 40 years.  She was the mother of nine children, seven of whom were born in Vernon Center and two in Syracuse.

The following children survive her:  George P., of Battleboro, Vt; Alfred H. and Gerry G., of Chicago; Mrs. Almira Becker, Mrs. Louise R. Drake and Charles L. Cooke, of Syracuse; Mrs. Mary E. Stokes, of Lee Center.  One sister, venerable with age, Mrs. Gardinier of Syracuse, survives the deceased.  The last eight years of her life Mrs. Cooke spent with her daughter, Mrs. Daniel Becker.  Every year except the present one during the 28 years of Mrs. Mary Stokes' married life, Mrs. Cooke spent several weeks of the summer season in this place with Mary and her family.

The last summer, however, her illness prevented her making her annual visit.  Our people learned to love the old lady.  She was genial in her nature and habits, lively and sportive, and fond of children.  A few days before her decease she was stricken with paralysis.  She could not speak, and seemed unable to hear.  Mrs. Cooke was a member of the Park Presbyterian Church, and died in the faith.  She leaves numerous friends in Syracuse and Lee Center who are saddened by her death, but Lee friends are comforted by the promise of Mrs. Gardinier, the surviving sister mentioned above, that she will make an annual visit to see Mrs. Henry Stokes and family as long as health and strength are given her to do so, that the old friends and acquaintances of Mrs. Cooke may loook upon her form and feature, to bring to their minds and memory Mrs. Cooke's.  (RCOct15/1886)

SEYMOUR - JOSEPH SEYMOUR died of heart disease at his home in Western, NY, four miles north of Rome, on Thursday (September 23, 1886) of last week.  He was 77 years old, and though ailing all summer, had been confined to his room only ten days.  He was the father of Harrison Seymour, who lives on Spring street in Rome, NY.  (RCOct01/1886)

SINGLETON - Mrs. MARY ANN SINGLETON, widow of the late John Singleton, Sr., died on Tuesday (September 28, 1886) afternoon at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. John Phillips, on Whitesboro St. in Rome, New York.  She has been for six years past afflicted with a form of paralysis and epilepsy, and this disease caused her death.  She was 76 years old, and was a native of Leeds, Yorkshire, England, whence she came to this country with her husband and children in 1850.  Since the death of her hustand, which occurred about ten years ago she had mingled little in society, though she had many friends among her neighbors who appreciated her kindly character and sympathized with her in her affliction.  Two sons and five daughters survive her --John Singleton of New York city and Thomas W. Singleton of Rome, and Mrs. D. C. Knox of New York city, Mrs. Martin Hyde, Mrs. James L. Gage and Mrs. Martha Day of Rome, and one daughter in the old country.  (RCOct01/1886)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, October 8, 1886

GILLETTE - In Rome, New York, October 5, 1886, JULIA E. GILLETTE, daughter of the late Dr. O. Gillette, of Westernville, New York, aged 49 years.  (RCOct08/1886)

JONES - In Rome, New York, October 4, 1886, IRVINE GIFFORD, son of Frank R. and Minnie E. Jones, aged 6 weeks.  (RCOct08/1886)   [another anouncement follows:]
         There is great sorrow at the residence of Dr. Gifford over the death of his little grandson, the infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Frank R. Jones.  (RCOct08/1886)

DECK - In Ava, New York, September 23, 1886, Mrs. MARGARET DECK, aged 82 years, 7 months and 12 days.  (RCOct08/1886)

CARLON - In Boonville, New York, September 29 1886, of consumption, Miss ANNA L. CARLON, aged 9 years, 5 months and 20 days.  (RCOct08/1886)

PARKHURST - In Boonville, New York, September 22, 1886, TRUMAN PARKHURST, aged 82 years, 1 month and 27 days.  (RCOct08/1886)

STUDOR - In Boonville, New York, September 29, 1886, Mrs. MARY STUDOR, wife of the late Michael Studor, aged 58 years, 7 months and 8 days.  (RCOct08/1886)
        [also in same paper the following:  note discrepency in age --transcriber]

STUDOR - In Boonville, New York, September 29, 1886, Mrs. MARY STUDOR, aged 63 years, 8 months and 7 days.  (RCOct08/1886)

ROBERTS - In Bridgewater, New York, September 20, 1886, EVAN J. ROBERTS, youngest son of Evan W. and Elinor Roberts aged 30 years, 4 months and 24 days.  (RCOct08/1886)

TOWNER - At the Home for the Homeless, in Utica, New York, September 30, 1886, Mrs. MERCY H. TOWNER, aged 92 years.  (RCOct08/1886)

McDARTHY - In Rome, New York, October 3, 1886, Mrs. JULIA McCARTHY, aged 70 years.  (RCOct08/1886)
       [another notice follows:
       Mrs. Julia McCarthy died at her home in this city on Sunday, at 6:30 P.M., of dropsy, after a three months illness, aged 70 years.  The deceased had been a resident of Rome for 35 years.  (RCOct08/1886)

GOEWEY - In Utica, New York, September 30, 1886, Mrs. ANN GOEWEY, aged 80 years.  (RCOct08/1886)

ATIKINSON - On Thursday (September 30, 1886) evening of last week, as MOSES B. ATKINSON, a farm hand employed by George H. Bell, who resides near the fair ground, was on his way home with a large load of live stock that Mr. Bell had had on exhibition at the State fair, the seat on which he was seated became loosened and slid to the ground near the residence of John Grosvenor on Floyd avenue, carrying Mr. Atkinson with it.  He struck on his spine, sustaining paralysis of his legs and arms and a slight dislocation of his neck.  He was taken in the residence of William Smith, where he suffered great agony until his death, which occurred early Saturday morning.  The deceased was an Englishman by birth, and had been in this country three years.  He was an exemplary young man, and was a member of the First M. E. Church of this city (Rome, NY).  His age was about 27 years.  The funeral occurred Monday at 1 P.M., at Mr. Smith's residence.  He leaves, besides his people in England, two brothers --John Atkinson, of Richfield Springs, and Harry Atkinson, of this city.  (RCOct08/1886)

CROCKER - Rome, New York news item:  Mrs ESTHER CROCKER, widow of the late S. Crocker and mother of H. M Crocker of Rome, died at her home in Vernon last week at the advanced aged of 91 years.  (RCOct08/1886)

ALLEN - Rome, New York news item:  F. W. ALLEN, manager of the Allen House at Oneida, died on Saturday (October 2, 1886) from blood poisoning, resulting from a carbuncle on the back of his neck.  His age was 42 years.  (RCOct08/1886)

CUSHMAN - Lee, New York news item:  ELLA E. CUSHMAN, formerly of Lee, and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. Cushman died at Sangerfield, in the 23rd year of her age.  Many of her young friends here will miss her greatly.  She was buried at Lowville, September 20, 1886.  Ella was a great sufferer with the dropsy.  Her parents have the sympathy of many here in their deep affliction.  (RCOct08/1886)

COONROD - Lee, New York news item:  The youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. William Coonrod died last week and was buried Friday (October 1, 1886) at the Lee Valley cemetery, Rev. William Fisher officiated.  (RCOct08/1886)

ARONSON - New York city, New York news item, Oct. 3. --MAX ARONSON, 50 years old, a Hester street grocer, was clubbed by Policeman Wood in his store on Wednesday, (September 29, 1886) and died this afternoon.  According to the statement of a son and the physician, the clubbing was one of the worst cases of police brutality reported for years.  They say a boy tried to steal some fruit, but was ordered away by the old grocer.  The boy's mother interfered and created a row.  Policeman Wood took the woman's part and accused Aronson of striking her, following the words by clubbing him.  His skull was fractured.  Two sons interfered and driving the officer away called a physician.  While the physician was caring for the old man Policeman Wood returned with another officer and clubbed the old man again and was again driven out.  They returned and took the old man from the physician and locked him up with the whole family for forty-five hours.  The old man was not allowed medical attendance.  After their release on bail Aronson began to sink rapidly and died to-day.  The policeman was arrested to-day.  He claimed that it took a platoon of police to arrest the family, and that he used his club in self defense.  (RCOct08/1886)

STEDMAN -Taberg, New York news item, Oct. 6: --One of Joseph H. Stedman's children, reported sick last week, has since died.  The funeral will be attended at the house today.  (RCOct08/1886)
      [following is the news item of the week before]

   Three of Joseph H. Stedman's children are sick with whooping cough, and bronchial pneumonia.  It has been thought impossible for them to recover, but this morning there is said to be a little hope.  (RCOct01/1886)

MITCHELL - Taberg, New York news item:  DENNIS MITCHELL, whose condition has been reported from time to time, died last Friday (October 1, 1886).  The funeral was attended last Sunday from St. John's Church, Rev. Father  Hainsault officiating.  The house was literally packed, and very many were unable to obtain standing or sitting room and remained outside.  The remains were taken to  Florence for interment.  (RCOct08/1886)   [also in the following weeks paper, the following notice:]

  MITCHELL - In Annsville, NY, October 1, 1886, DENNIS MITCHELL, aged 22 years and 10 months.  (RCOct15/1886)

SMITH - FRANK SMITH, aged between 50 and 60 years, residing at Lairdsville, in this county, was found dead in a swamp on the farm of N. B. Carr near Verona, whither he had gone on Friday (October 1, 1886) last to get some poles which he had purchased of Mr. Carr.  Coroner Millington, of this city (Rome, NY) went to Verona Saturday and held an inquest, the result of which was that the deceased died of heart disease.  Mr. Smith leaves a wife and several children.  (RCOct08/1886)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, October 15, 1886

FIELD  [relocation/not death]
Mrs. G. W. Smith of Grand Haven, Mich, is here assisting her mother in getting ready to return with her to Grand Haven to remain.  Her daughter, Miss Jennie Smith, who accompanied her, went on to New York city, to consult her physician, and is expected back to Rome next Thursday (October 21, 1886).  Mrs. Field had disposed of her household goods, and rented her place to Mrs. Hattie Cook, and expects to reside during the remainder of her life with her daughter, Mrs. Smith.  They will leave Rome on Thursday evening next.  (RCOct15/1886

STILLMAN - In Rochester, New York, October 8, 1886, of consumption, ALLEN H. STILLMAN, son of H. L. Stillman of Rome, NY, aged 29 years, 1 month and 7 days.  (RCOct15/1886)

TUTTLE - At Vernon Centre, NY, October 6, 1886, HIRAM D. TUTTLE, aged 81 years.  (RCOct15/1886)

HUGHES - At Durhamville, New York, October 5, 1886, WILLIAM O. HUGHES, after a long and painful illness, aged 75 years and 8 months.  (RCOct15/1886)

KEISER - In Florence, New York, October 2, 1886, BERTHA PAULINE, daughter of Herbert A. and Catharine Keiser, of Camden, NY, aged 1 year, 11 months and 21 days.  (RCOct15/1886)

WHITFORD - In East Florence, New York, September 30, 1886, WESLEY WHITFORD, aged 61 years.  (RCOct15/1886)

SKINNER - In Camden, New York, October 1, 1886, ROBERT, son of Spencer and Arvilla Skinner, aged 12 years and 11 months.  (RCOct15/1886)

YUTZLER - In Lee, New York, October 12, 1886, CALEB YUTZLER, aged 78 years.  (RCOct15/1886)
         [another notice reads as follows:]

Rome, New York news item:  CALEB YUTZLER, father of Mrs. J. H. Smith of this city, died at his home in Lee Center, Tuesday, of pneumonia.  His age was 78 years.   (RCOct15/1886)

YAGER - In Boonville, New York, October 13, 1886, CAROLINE, wife of the late John Yager, aged 76 years, 5 months and 15 days.  (RCOct15/1886)   [see also (RCAug29/1884)-YAGER]

SHERMAN - In Deerfield, New York, October 10, 1886, ROBERT H. SHERMAN, son of Enoch and the late Decy Sherman, aged 34 years, 4 months and 5 days.  (RCOct15/1886)

DUDGON - In New Hartford, New York, October 11, 1886, KITTIE E. FITZGERALD, wife of William Dudgon and daughter of Mary and the late Thomas Fitzgerald, in the 27th year of her age.  (RCOct15/1886)

ENTWISTLE - In New Hartford, New York, October 12, 1886, JOSEPH H. ENTWISTLE, aged 42 years.  (RCOct15/1886)

St. Louis, Oct. 9 --Shortly before the performance was to begin this evening at the Alhambra theatre, a variety hall on St. Charles street, a terrible tragedy was enacted behind the scenes.  JOSIE MARTELLE, a rather pretty "specialty" woman, was stabbed and instantly killed by FRANK HANDMYER, who saved the hangman a job by immediately ending his own existence.  The victims of the tragedy are said to have been husband and wife, or at least to have occupied that relation to each other.  The exact cause of the murder and suicide is unknown, but it is supposed to have been jealousy.  During the afternoon Handmyer, who was a worthless fellow, had quarreled over the woman.  This evening he called her from her private dressing room where she was preparing for the night's performance, into the general dressing room, and was heard to ask:  "Are you going to do that?" to which she replied very decidedly, "no."  Instantly Handmyer struck her with a knife, the blade penetrating the heart, and she sank to the floor dead without a cry.  Then without moving from his tracks the murderer plunged the weapon into his own heart and fell dead beside his victim.  Josie Martelle was about thirty years of age and was well known to the patrons of the inferior sort of variety theaters.  (RCOct15/1886)

FEISLER - Rome, New York news item:  WILLIAM FEISLER, son of Henry Feisler, died at his home on the Chandler farm, in West Rome, on Sunday (October 10, 1886), of brain fever, after an illness of nine days, aged 32 years.  (RCOct15/1886)

PILLMORE - Rome, New York news item:  Mrs. GEORGE PILLMORE is very ill with cholera morbus at her home, corner of John and James streets.  (RCOct15/1886)

KELLEY - THOMAS KELLEY, a car inspector in this city (Rome, NY) for  the R. W. & O. Railroad, met with an accident last Monday which will in all probability prove fatal.  Between 9 and 10 o'clock in the morning Mr. Kelley and Joseph O'Neil were inspecting the cars in the Watertown yard above where the old freight house used to stand.  Mr. Kelley stopped between two cars of a freight train that stood on the track, for the purpose of tightening a screw in a coupling.  While he was at work an engine linked up and struck the train with such force as to close up the space between the two cars.  Mr. Kelley's head was caught between the dead blocks of the cars and badly injured.

The temperal bone on the right side of his head was broken and pressed in against the train.  The left side of the skull was not as seriously injured.  Blood oozed from the injured man's mouth, nose and ears.  He was taken up in an unconscious state and carried to the hospital, where the hospital surgeons, Drs. Flanrau, Sutton and others, were debating the matter of performing an operation on Thomas Hughes, and they trepanned his skull, elevating portions of it where the depression was severe.  The patient recovered his senses after the operation was performed, and, as there seemed to be no hope of his recovery, Rev. Father Murphy administered the last rites of the church.  He has still lingered along, and was alive yesterday, but seems to be gradually sinking and may die any hour.

Mr. Kelley is 54 years old, and has resided in Rome 36 years.  He is a brother of John Kelley, of the firm of Kelley & Gaheen.  He has been in the service of the R. W. & R. R. Company nearly ever since the road has been in operation, as freight brakeman, night watchman and car inspector, and has always ranked as a faithful and efficient employe.  He was greatly esteemed by his fellow workmen, and many of them sorrow deeply over his terrible accident.  (RCOct15/1886)
       [another article the next week follows:]

Thomas Kelley, whose head was crushed between two cars as related in our paper last week, died of his injuries in the city hospital a little before midnight last Friday. (October15, 1886)  There had been no hope of his recovery from the first, and though he had times of rallying and seeming a little better they were quickly followed by a relapse.  The immediate cause of death was inflammation of the brain.  Deceased leaves a widow and two daughters, Mrs. Nicholas McGovern, and Miss Maggie Kelley; also a brother, John Kelley, and two sisters, Mrs. Philip Doyle and Miss Catherine Kelley, all of this city.  (RCOct22/1886)

The coroner's jury which has been holding an inquest on the remains of the late Thomas Kelley brought in a verdict last evening censuring the railroad company and its employes for negligence and carelessness.  The evidence went to show that there were no signals to protect a man working in a dangerous place, and that each employe must "look out for himself" if he expects to escape injury.  (RCOct22/1886)

HUGHES - THOMAS HUGHES, of Utica, NY, met with an accident in this city (Rome, NY) Sunday afternoon which resulted in his death on Tuesday (October 12, 1886).  Until recently he had been employed at the Locomotive Works in this city, and had come here last Saturday to visit his brother Edward, who is employed at the works.  About 4 P.M. Sunday he went  to the depot to take a train for home, but finding he could not get a train til 10:27, he boarded a freight train, but the conductor would not allow him to ride, and near the Locomotive Works he attempted to get off, and in some manner lost his footing and fell under the wheels.  His right shoulder and arm were fearfully mangled.  He managed to get to his feet and walk to Flanagan's boarding house in East Rome.  He was then taken to the city hospital and physicians were soon on hand, who found that his shoulder blade and bone were broken, and deemed an amputation necessary to give the patient any chance whatever of life.  Owing, however to the patient's weak condition, the operation was deferred til Monday forenoon, when it was commenced by Dr. Flandrau, assisted by Drs. R. E. and H. C. Sutton, West, Evans, Nock and W. E. Millington.  The fractures of the shoulder bone and blade were reduced and the arm was taken off.  The patient rallied after the operation, but the physicians considered the chances of recovery very slim.  After midnight that day he began to grow worse, and continued to fail till about 9 o'clock Tuesday, when he died.  The deceased was 28 years of age, and had resided in this country about eight years.  He leaves his father, Robert Hughes of Bodediren, Wales, and two brothers, Robert Hughes, Jr., of Pomeroy, Ohio, and Edward Hughes of this city.

Coroner Millington summoned a jury and after taking considerable testimony rendered a verdict that the deceased came to his death while attempting in an intoxicated condition to jump on a moving freight train on the Central Railroad.  (RCOct15/1886)

STEELE - McConnellsville, New York news item:  Little GEORGIE, only son of William and Jennie Steele, died Saturday (October 9, 1886) and was buried Sunday.  Funeral at the house at 3 P.M.  (RCOct15/1886)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, October 22, 1886

GIBBONS - At New York Mills, New York, October 17, 1886, BRIDGET, wife of John Gibbons, aged 48 years.  (RCOct22/1886)

POTTER - In Whitesboro, New York, October 17, 1886, Rev. Frederick A. Potter, pastor of the Baptist Church, aged 33 years.  He died after a week's illness and leaves a widow.  (RCOct22/1886)

HUGHES - October 16, 1886, at Remsen, after a long sickness patiently endured, in the 21st year of his age, WALTER W. HUGHES, brother-in-law of Rev. George Lamb.  (RCOct22/1886)

JENNINGS - In Lairdsville, New York, October 19, 1886, SAMUEL N. JENNINGS, in his 77th year.   (RCOct22/1886)

WILDS - In Rome, New York, October 20,  1886, Mrs JULIA WILDS, aged 84 years, 9 months and 19 days.  Funeral at the home of Thomas C. Wilds on Second street, at 2 P.M. on Friday.  Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend.  (RCOct22/1886)

REMINGTON - In Rome, New York, October 18, 1886, of consumption, ALICE G. REMINGTON, aged 31 years.  Funeral from the family residence on Whitesboro street on Saturday at 2 P.M.   (RCOct22/1886)

PURDY - In Rome, New York, October 19, 1886, Mrs SARAH A. PURDY, wife of James R. Purdy, aged 38 years.  (RCOct22/1886)

ARNIM - Berlin, Oct. 19. --The COUNTESS von ARNIM, the insane wife of Count Arnim, recently fled from a private asylum to the Black Forest.  To-day her body was found in the River Murg.  The autopsy tends to prove that she was murdered.  Another theory accounting for the marks of violence upon her person is that she fell on rocks while wandering in the night.  She was a sister-in-law of the celebrated diplomat of that name.  She had been missing for two days, and her husband had offered a reward of 10,000 marks to any one discovering her whereabouts.  (RCOct22/1886)

WICKMAN - Ava, New York news item:  An infant son, about one month old of Mr. and Mrs. H. G. Wickman, died last week.  Funeral services were held at the house, and the remains were interred at West Leyden.  Rev. J. R. Decker conducted the funeral services.  (RCOct22/1886)

THOMSON - Miss NELLIE THOMSON, a girl of 23, adopted daughter of Captain Albert West of the boat James McChesney of Oswego, fell from the dock of that boat into the canal between Whitesboro and Utica, last Monday (October 18, 1886) evening and was drowned.  The body was recovered about two hours later and taken to Utica, where Coroner Millington held an inquest Tuesday.  The evidence showed that in walking along the deck of the boat her foot had tripped on a cleat and she had stumbled overboard; also that the captain and crew did all in their power to rescue her, but without avail.  The coroner's jury brought in a verdict of accidental drowning.  The remains of the unfortunate girl were taken to Oswego for interment.  (RCOct22/1886)

MASON - Rome, New York news item:  News had been received of the serious illness of the 14-year old daughter of Rev. Wesley Mason, of Syracuse, formerly of Rome.  It is feared she cannot recover.  (RCOct22/1886)

HALLECK - Rome, New York news item:  Miss CARRIE HALLECK, who has been ill for some time at the residence of Dr. A. B. Cowles, has suffered a relapse and is in a critical condition.  Mrs. F. M. Kinne, of Auburn, is at the residence of Dr. Cowles, called there by the serious illnesss of her sister, Miss Carrie Halleck.  (RCOct22/1886)

KEHOE - Rome, New York news item:  JOHN KEHOE, who has been an inmate of the city hospital since last June, suffering with dropsy, died at that institution yesterday forenoon, aged 20 years.  (RCOct22/1886)

KEISER - Rome, New York news item:  Mrs. MILLIE KEISER, wife of Frank Keiser died at her home at Blackman's Corners Wednesday (October 20, 1886) at 10:30 P.M. of consumption after a protracted illness.  (RCOct22/1886)

HOURNE - Taberg, New York news item:  WILLIAM HOURNE, brother of Joseph Hourne, was brought here from East Florence and buried in our cemetery.  He died of gastric fever.  (RCOct22/1886)

MARSHALL - Taberg, New York news item:  News was received yesterday (Oct 20) of the death of Mrs DEBORAH MARSHALL at La Peirce, Illinois.  Mrs. Marshall was for many years a resident of this town.  She was a sister of the late William Lamphere and an aunt of S. M. Crossman, Esq.  (RCOct22/1886)

DOOLEY - Taberg, New York news item:  THOMAS DOOLEY, father of Postmaster Dooley, and for over 30 years a respected citizen of this town, died at four o'clock this morning (October 21, 1886).  The funeral will be attended from St. Patrick's  Church at 10 o'clock Saturday morning.       (RCOct22/1886)

ELPHICK - Taberg, New York news item:  The funeral of JOHN ELPHICK was held at Glenmore last Sunday.  Services were conducted by Rev. D. W. Aylesworth.  Mr. Elphick was one of the oldest and most respected citizens of our town, and leaves a large circle of mourning friends.  (RCOct22/1886

ZEIGLER - Indianapolis, Oct 17. --HENRY ZEIGLER and Minnie Devor were married two and a half years ago in Cincinnati.  Their married life proved very unhappy, and several separations and reconciliations occurred.  Four weeks ago the wife came to this city and procured employment in the laundry of the Brunswick Hotel.  Another reconciliation was effected, and a few days ago the husband arrived here.  The couple occupied a room at the National Hotel.  Early this morning Zeigler arose and asked his wife to kiss him.  She refused, and Zeigler then drew a revolver and disregarding the woman's tears and prayers, fired three shots into her body.  Zeigler then cut his  throat with a pocket knife and fired a bullet through his head, dying almost instantly.  The woman has made an ante-mortem statement, denying that she ever gave her husband cause for jealousy.  There is a possibility of saving her life.  (RCOct22/1886)

MATTESON - Mrs ROSINA MATTESON, a partially demented woman of 74, jumped from a second story window of the County House of Thursday of last week (October 14, 1886), breaking one of her ankles, and otherwise injuring her so badly that she died a few days afterward.  (RCOct22/1886)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, October 29, 1886

WHITEFORD - At New York Mills, New York, October 23, 1886, JANE WHITEFORD, aged 82 years.  (RCOct29/1886)

McELROY - In New Hartford, New York, October 24, 1886, of pneumonia, Mrs. CORDELIA McELROY, aged 77 years.  (RCOct29/1886)

RICHARDS - At Los Angeles, Cal., October 21, 1886, WILLIAM H. RICHARDS, son of the late J. K. H. Richards, of Marcy, NY.  (RCOct29/1886)   [another notice follows:]

William H. Richards, of Marcy, who went to California a couple of weeks ago in the hope of improving his health, died at Los Angeles, the place of his destination, on the 21st instant, just after his arrival there.  (RCOct29/1886)

SMITH - At Westmoreland, New York, October 24, 1886, Mrs. LOIS S. SMITH, widow of Orrin  Smith, aged 72 years, 6 months and 19 days.  (RCOct29/1886)  [see also (RCJan23/1885)-SMITH]

WILLIAMS - In Verona Mills, New York, October 27, 1886, Mrs LOIS ANN PRATT WILLIAMS, aged 72 years.  Funeral from the Seventh Day Baptist Church, at Churchville, on Friday at 1 P.M.  (RCOct29/1886)
     [another notice from the same issue of the paper follows:]

Mrs. Lois Ann Pratt Williams, mother, of ex-Assemblyman, Clarence E. Williams, died at his residence at Verona Mills Tuesday evening, aged 72 years.  Deceased was mother-in-law of Hon I. J. Evans of Rome, New York.  (RCOct29/1886)

RUSSELL - At Clinton, New York, October 21, 1886, Miss OLIVIA RUSSELL, aged 86 years and 8 months.  (RCOct29/1886)

COMBS - In Whitesboro, New York, October 22, 1886, JEREMIAH COMBS, in the 72d year of his age.  (RCOct29/1886)

WHITE - In Alder Creek, New York, October 20, 1886, ROBERT HARRY, infant son of Bartholomew and Mary White, aged 1 year, 2 months and 16 days.  (RCOct29/1886)

FERGUSON - At Waterville, New York, October 27, 1886, Mrs. EMILY S. FERGUSON, relict of Alvin Ferguson, aged 71 years.  (RCOct29/1886)

MILLER - Mrs. MARGARET MILLER, at New York Mills, New York, October 27, 1886.  She was born at Glasgow, Scotland, June 4, 1800.  (RCOct29/1886)

PRYOR - In New Hartford, New York, October 27, 1886, JOHN PRYOR.  (RCOct29/1886)

REESE - SAMUEL REESE, of the town of Western, died a few days ago, and it is said the direct cause of his death was mourning over the loss he sustained last May, when he fell a victim to three card monte sharps and was fleeced out of $1,500, the earnings of a lifetime.  Our readers will recollect the occurrence, how two or three sharps came to his farm, pretending to be looking for pasturage, but who soon produced some cards and induced the old man to bet on them, and finally to come to this city (Rome, NY) and draw $1,500 from the bank, which they took from him near Hick's Mills while he was on his way home.  The loss drove Mr. Reese into despondency, and from that day until his death he was not the same man.  The deceased was never married, but leaves several sisters and two brothers.  (RCOct29/1886)

BEACH - Rome, New York news item:  Miss ELIZA H. BEACH, who went to New York city to undergo a surgical operation for the removal of an internal tumor a couple of weeks since, died in that city on Thursday of last week, (October 21, 1886) not being strong enough to recover from the shock.  She was a daughter of the late Samuel Beach of Taberg, and sister of Charles E. Beach of that place and B. J. Beach and the late H. H. Beach of this city.  She was 47 years of age.  For five years past she had resided with Mrs. H. H. Beach in Rome.  Her remains were brought there Friday evening, and services were held at the house Saturday afternoon.  The remains were taken to Taberg for interment, the funeral being held at the house of Charles E. Beach Sunday afternoon.  (RCOct29/1886)

WOOSTER - Augusta, New York news item:  EPHRIAM WOOSTER, an aged and respected citizen of this town, died at his residence Friday, (October 22, 1886) at the age of 83 years.  (RCOct29/1886)    [another notice says death date was October 26, 1886, and lists age as 83 years 9 days. --transcriber]

SANDERS - Rome, New York news item:  Little JOHN SANDERS, a boy 10 years old, son of Daniel Sanders who lives on Lock street, was crushed under the wheels of a freight train near the Brass Mill yesterday forenoon so badly that recovery is deemed impossible.  His mother sent him to school in the morning and thought no more of his whereabouts till he was brought home on a stretcher a little before 11 o'clock.  He was seen on the railroad track a few minutes before the accident, and though no one saw how it happened, there is no doubt that he tried to catch a ride on a freight train and missed his hold and fell under the cars.  The wheels passed over his right arm and shoulder, crushing them terribly.  His cries brought John Hart, a track hand, to his assistance, and as soon as possible he was conveyed to his home, where Drs. Flandraw and R. E. and H. C. Sutton attended him.  They amputated the arm and reduced the fracture of the shoulder, but had little hope that he could long survive.  The boy's father is employed in the Locomotive Works, and both he and the mother are sorely afflicted over the terrible calamity.  (RCOct29/1886)

SHERMAN - Rome, New York news item:  W. C. SHERMAN, father of George W. Sherman of this city, died in Angelo, Wis., on the 8th instant, aged nearly 81 years.  He was for many years a resident of Clayville in this county, before leaving for Wisconsin.  (RCOct29/1886)

Milwaukee, Wis., Oct. 26. --There was a collision this afternoon in a sharp curve and cut at Pine Bluff, between a wild engine and the Monfort passenger train, due here at 4 o'clock.  Both the engines were wrecked and the baggage and mail car, with contents, were burned.  The engineer and fireman of the wild engine jumped and escaped with bad bruises.  The engineer of the passenger train, THOMAS DOLAN, was caught in his cab and pinned by the lever.  His leg was horribly mangled, his head crushed, and he was rescued just in time to prevent scalding.  He will die.  MARTIN COMFORD, his fireman, was also caught.  One leg was crushed and he was badly scalded.  A man, supposed to be HENRY SCHWENK of Madison, was stealing a ride between the mail car and tender.  He was killed and his body burned to a crisp.  Mail Agent GEORGE LUSTEN had his head badly cut and was severely scalded.  Conductor Kuhna was brused.  None of the passengers were hurt.  All the mail was destroyed.  The wild engine ran three miles, though badly demolished, before it stopped.  (RCOct29/1886)

Barbara Andresen