Rome Citizen Death Notices in 1887

Thanks to Barbara Andresen for sending this in!

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, July 1, 1887

MOORE - In Rome, New York, June 21, 1887, Mrs. MARY MOORE, widow of Patrick Moore, aged 80 years.  (RCJul01/1887)

WALKER - The body of JOHN WALKER, proprietor of a canal barn at Waterford, NY, was found terribly cut and mangled in some bushes near a lonely portion of a towpath at Cohoes.  It is supposed he was murdered for some money which he had on his person for the purpose of purchasing a team of horses.  (RCJul01/1887)

ROBERTS - In Rome, New York, June 23, 1887, Mrs JULIA A. ROBERTS, wife of Rev. J. W. Roberts, aged 50 years.  (RCJul01/1887)   (obit follows)

Death of Mrs. Roberts.
     On Thursday evening of last week (June 23, 1887) occurred the death of Mrs. Julia A. Roberts, wife of Rev. J. W. Roberts of Rome New York.  Deceased had been ill for a year past, but the immediate cause of her death was heart disease.  She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Ethridge of Vernon, NY, and was 30 years of age. [this is a different age by 20 years than in the above death notice-transcriber]  In 1874 she was married to Mr. Roberts, and for the past eight years has resided in this city (Rome, NY).  For twenty-five years she was a consistent member of the M. E. church and an earnest worker in the cause of Christianity.  Her character and disposition was such that she drew about her a large number of warm friends who regreted to part with her at the last.  The funeral occurred at her residence on Thomas street, Monday forenoon.  The services were conducted by Rev. T. B. Shepherd, of the First M. E. church, assisted by Rev. J. H. Taylor, B. S. Wright and J. Zimmerman.  The attendance was large.  The remains were taken to Vernon for interment. Besides her husband and parents, deceased leaves a brother, Henry Ethridge, of Vernon, and two sisters, Mrs. Albert Hills, of Turner Junction, Illinois, and Mrs. G. D. Torrey, of Vernon, New York.   (RCJul01/1887)

ARMITAGE - Suddenly in Rome, New York, June 25, 1887, Miss SARAH ARMITAGE, in the 72d year of her age.  (RCJul01/1887)  [another notice in the same paper]
          While visiting at the residence of Mrs. J. B. Jervis last Saturday evening, Miss Sarah Armitage died suddenly of paralysis.  Deceased was an aunt of Mrs. B. J. Beach, with whom she had lived for the past twenty years.  She was an earnest Christian lady and a communicant of Zion Episcopal church.  She was of a social nature, and because of that fact drew a large circle of friends about her.  She was aged 72 years, and had always enjoyed comparatively good health, and death came without warning.  (RCJul01/1887)

SCRUTON - In Worcester, Mass., June 23, 1887, CHARLES E. SCRUTON, formerly of Rome, New York, aged about 50 years.  (RCJul01/1887)   [another notice in the same paper]
          Charles E. Scruton, son-in-law of O. S. Dorman, of Rome, NY, died at his home in Worcester, Mass., last week.  Twenty years ago he resided in Rome, and was employed by the R. W. & G. railroad shops as a machinist.  Besides his wife, he leaves two sons -- O. J. Scruton, of Syracuse and George Scruton, of Worcester.  (RCJul01/1887)

GILLETT - In Washington Mills, New York, June 26, 1887, IRA H. GILLETT, aged 76 years.  (RCJul01/1887)

BROOKS - At Hudson, Michigan, June 21, 1887, Mrs JULIA BROOKS, aged 73 years, relict of John S. Brooks, formerly of Paris Hill, Oneida county, New York.  (RCJul01/1887)

EVANS - In Kirkland, New York, on Wednesday, June 29, 1887, JOHN H. EVANS, aged 74 years.  (RCJul01/1887)

COONRADT - The little 3-years-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Coonradt, of Lee Valley, New York, died last Monday, (June 20, 1887) after a week's illness.  The funeral was held at the Valley church on Wednesday.  (RCJul01/1887)

RUSS - SAMUEL P. RUSS, a brother of George P. Russ of this city, (Rome, NY) died recently at his home in Wells, Somerset county, England.  Deceased was in his 70th year.  (RCJul01/1887)

PERRY - News has been received of the death of NEWTON PERRY at Arkansas City, Kansas, June 27, 1887.  He was a son of Rev. Owen F. Perry, of Remsen, New York.  His remains will be brought to Remsen for interment.  (RCJul01/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, July 8, 1887

McENTEE - At Rondout-on-the-Hudson (Kingston, Ulster county, New York) Thursday, June 30, 1887, JAMES S. McENTEE, born on Mullin Hill, town of Western, Oneida county, New York,  March 21, 1800.  (RCJul08/1887)

ISEMANGER - In Rome, New York, on Friday, July 1, 1887, CATHERINE ISEMANGER, aged 80 years.  (RCJul08/1887)

GROVES - In Rome, New York, July 2, 1887, Mrs. JANE GROVES, mother of John and William Groves, aged 90 years and 6 months.  (obit follows)

Death of an Aged Lady.
     Mrs. Jane Groves died at noon last Saturday (July 2, 1887) at the residence of her son, John Groves, corner of Court and Jay streets.  The deceased was aged 90 years and six months, and until quite recently her health had always been of the best.  She was confined to her bed but two weeks previous to her death.  She was born in Stombridge (now Worcestershire), England, in 1797, where nearly all her life was spent up to about 40 years ago, when she and her husband and sons emigrated to Plymouth, Mass., where her husband died a few years afterward.  Since the death of her husband she has resided with her children.  In her youth she embraced the doctrine of the early Methodists of England, and her entire life has been an example of that faith.  She possessed a constancy in religious matters that was surprising, and the reward that she has taken possession of was deserved.  Mrs. Groves leaves two sons -- John, who is now in Colorado for his health, and William, of Boston, Mass.  The latter, accompanied by his wife, was present at the funeral, which occurred at 10 A.M. Tuesday, at the residence of her son in this city.  Rev. T. B. Shepherd, of the First M. E. church, assisted by Rev. J. Zimmerman, officated at the obsequies.  The attendance was large.  The pall bearers were James Thomas, William H. Davies, Colonel T. Halley and A. W. Honsinger.  The remains were interred in Rome Cemetery.  (RCJul08/1887)

JASOTT - In New London, New York, July 5, 1887, Mrs. MATILDA JASOTT, aged 77 years.  (RCJul08/1887)

HARRINGTON - In Whitesboro, New York, on Saturday, July 2, 1887, SARAH A., wife of Perry J. Harrington, aged 26 years, 1 month and 22 days.  (RCJul08/1887)

O'CONNOR - In Utica, New York, July 4, 1887, at the residence of his sister, Mrs. Leonard Andes, 12 Saratoga street, PHILIP O'CONNOR, aged 28 years, 2 months and 24 days.  (RCJul08/1887)

DENSLOW - In Alder Creek, New York, July 6, 1887, ANNA, wife of Charles Denslow, and daughter of Evan W. James, aged 90 years.  (RCJul08/1887)

SEYMOUR - In Paris Hill, New York, July 5, 1887, Mrs. EUNICE SEYMOUR, aged 83 years.  (RCJul08/1887)

WILLIAMS - In Remsen, New York, July 6, 1887, JEFFERSON M., son of Dr. and Mrs. E. G. Williams, aged 13 years, 6 months and 23 days.  (RCJul08/1887)

WARNER - SAMUEL ELIOT WARNER, for 30 years an assistant secretary of the American ??t Society, died in Brooklyn, NY, Wednesdy evening (July 6, 1887).  He formerly resided in Utica, NY.  (RCJul08/1887)

WALKER - Mrs. B. S. WRIGHT was suddenly stricken with paralysis at her home on Washington street, Tuesday (Jul 5, 1887).  She was preparing to go riding with her son, R. J. Walker, who was visiting her, when her right side suddenly became paralyzed, rendering her speechless.  About two years ago, Mrs. Wright suffered a partial stroke, but recovered from it, and of late has been feeling quite well.  A few days ago she received the sad intelligence of the death of her daughter-in-law, the wife of William Walker, of Ness City, Kansas, and it is thought the news and consequent sadness had something to do with her present misfortune.  She passed last night comfortably, but is yet unable to speak, and does not seem to be much better.  (RCJul08/1887)  [see also (RCAug12/1887)-WRIGHT]

THORPE - Col. J. H. THORPE, a brother of Samuel Thorpe of Holland Patent, New York, died at the home of the Misses Hughes on Dominick street, Wednesday evening, (July 6, 1887) of heart trouble.  Col. Thorpe was aged 55 years, and had traveled over nearly every State in the Union during his life-time.  He served during the late war, and his gallantry earned him the title of colonel.  His wife and father survive him, as do his son, two sisters and two brothers.  (RCJul08/1887)

WEAVER - WILLIAM N. WEAVER, freight agent for the N.Y. Central road for years, antedating the memory of his generation, died at his residence in Utica, NY, on Whitesboro street on the morning of July 4, 1887.  He was the Democratic king in the first and afterwards the second ward, and was a power felt throughout the city.  He captured the first police commission in a way that turned the laugh on the Republican leaders, who had procured it's enactment.  The writer first saw Mr. Weaver at the time when pictures of Count D'Orsay were as plenty as those of Sarah Bernhardt and Mrs. Langtry are now, and Mr. Weaver was then decidedly the handsomest man of the two.  Later, when he acquired the cognomen of Black Hawk and began to use the tactics of that grand warrior, his face took on a sternness that had its effect, not only on his henchmen, but his political opponents.  Take him for all and all he was a much better man than the average leaders of his sect.  No personal dishonesty ever stained his name.  (RCJul08/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, July 15, 1887

BIRDSALL - At Trenton, New York, July 6, 1887, MINNIE C., daughter of the late Phineas Birdsall, aged 37? years.  (RCJul15/1887)

DIDRICH - At Hawkinsville, New York, July 4, 1887, MARY ANN DIDRICH, aged 75 years, 5 months and 1 day.  (RCJul15/1887)

JOHNSON - In Boonville, New York, July 8, 1887, of lung disease and paralysis, CHARLES JOHNSON, aged 57 years, 11 months and 2 days.  (RCJul15/1887)

TOWNE - In Watertown, New York, July 8, 1887, Mrs. DORCAS EAMES, relict of the late Gardner Towne, aged 87 years.  Deceased was a native of Western, Oneida county, New York.  (RCJul15/1887)

WADSWORTH - In Sauquoit, New York, on Sunday, July 10, 1887, Rev. EDWARD L. WADSWORTH, aged 81 years.  (RCJul15/1887)

BOYLAN - In Rome, New York, July 12, 1887, of blood poisoning, MARGARET DUNN, wife of William Boylan, aged 43 years.  Mrs. Boylan died of a black spider bite.  She leaves a husband and 10 children.  (RCJul15/1887)

EVANS - Holland Patent, New York.  The funeral of EVAN EVANS took place from the Welsh Congregational church last Saturday afternoon, (July 9, 1887) Rev. David Pritchard, of Rome, NY, and Rev. Lewis Williams, of Port Leyden, officiating.  The deceased died of dropsy, aged 43, and leaves a wife to whom he was married last April.  (RCJul15/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, July 22, 1887

GRIFFITHS - In Floyd, New York, July 17, 1887, after an illness of nearly two years, Rev. JOHN R. GRIFFITHS, in the 70th year of his age.  (RCJul22/1887)

TIER - At Oriskany, New York, July 16, 1887, THOMAS TIER, aged 88 years, 4 months and 16 days.  (RCJul22/1887)

CAULFIELD - In Rome, New York, July 18,1887, CATHERINE, wife of Patrick Caulfield, aged 55 years.  (RCJul22/1887)

WAIT - In Utica, New York, July 17, 1887, JOHN WAIT, in the 85th year of his age.  Mr. Wait was a well known and much respected retired wood and coal dealer.  He died at his home, 133 John street, Utica.  He was a prominent member of the First Presbyterian church.    (RCJul22/1887)

NORTON - In Utica, New York, July 16, 1887, WILLIAM R. NORTON, in the 71st year of his age.  (RCJul22/1887)

AMES - In Jerseyville, Illinois, recently, Mrs. D. H. AMES, formerly of Steuben, Oneida Co., New York, mother of Captain W. L. Ames, aged 87 years.  (RCJul22/1887)

LEABURY - Early Tuesday morning (July 19, 1887) occurred the death of Mrs. NELLIE JONES LEABURY, at the home of her father, David X. Jones, in Rome, New York.  Her disease was consumption with which she had suffered for a year past.  She was aged 25 years, and leaves a husband Arthur Leabury, and an infant daughter.  Until a few months ago she had always resided in this city.  Since then she had, until recently, resided with her husband in Frankfort.  Deceased was always a bright and winsome lady, and had many friends who are sorely pained to learn of her death.  (RCJul22/1887)

DEITCH - Mrs. ANNA DEITCH died at her home near Hitchings' bridge, a few miles north of Rome, New York, on Friday, July 15, 1887, aged 75 years.  (RCJul22/1887)

FURLONG - Mrs. ANASTASIA  FURLONG, a resident of Rome 20 years ago, died at the home of her son-in-law, Jacab Erion, in Norwich, Chenango county, on Thursday, July 14, 1887, aged 90 years.  (RCJul22/1887)

REIFERT - PHILLIP REIFERT, father of John Reifert of this city, (Rome, NY) died at the latter's residence on Ridge street yesterday morning. He emigrated to this country from Germany in 1840, and shortly afterward settled in Rome.  About six years ago he received a shock to his nervous system, and since than has been entirely helpless.  His age was 81 years.  He was a consistent member of the German Lutheran Trinity church in this city, and was one of its founders.  In his death a successful life lays down its burden. The remains were interred in the Rome cemetery.  (RCJul22/1887)

McPHERSON - On Wednesday (July 20, 1887) evening occurred the death of one whose face for twenty years has been familiar to nearly every resident in this city.  That face belonged to Daniel McPherson, the veteran milk  dealer.  From a cold, which he contracted about a month ago, he grew steadily worse, until typhoid fever set in, and then he failed rapidly.  During the week past he suffered several internal hemorrhages, which doubtless has hastened his death.  Deceased was in his 47th year, and was born in Trenton, Oneida county, New York, his father being the late James McPherson.  He leaves besides his wife, and two daughters, aged 13 and 7 years, four brothers -- William McPherson, deputy sheriff and jailer of Rome, David McPherson, of St. Louis, Mo., James McPherson, of Illinois and John McPherson, who resides in the west.
     The funeral will occur on Saturday at his late residence near the county house.  (RCJul22/1887)

VAN TASSEC - Vienna, New York.  The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Van Tassec died Thursday (July 14, 1887) of cholera infantum.  The interment took place at Camden, New York.  (RCJul22/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, July 29, 1887

WATSON - In Wright's Settlement, New York, July 22, 1887, Mrs. SUSAN WATSON, wife of John Watson, aged 64 years. She was greatly beloved by all who knew her.  (RCJul29/1887)

ERHARDT - In Rome, New York, July 26, 1887, LEONA MAY, daughter of George Erhardt, aged 2 months.  (RCJul29/1887)

DOTY - Mrs. DOTY of Higginsville, New York died last week, aged 82 years.  She was a pensioner of the war of 1812.  Her husband who died a few years ago, was a soldier in that war.  (RCJul29/1887)

RYAN - Verona, New York.  Mrs. MARY RYAN died at her home on Friday (July 22, 1887), aged 70 years.  The funeral was attended at St. Patrick's church, Oneida, on Monday.  (RCJul29/1887)

CAGWIN - Verona, New York.  Mrs. DESIRE CAGWIN, widow of Abial Cagwin, died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. L. K. Wilson, July 21, 1887.  The funeral was held at her late residence on Saturday.  Rev. W. L. Titus preached the funeral sermon.  (RCJul29/1887)

ROBERTS - Holland Patent, New York.   The wife of Robert Roberts, living near here, died very suddenly of convulsions last Wednesday night (July 20, 1887)  The funeral took place at her late residence on Friday afternoon.  Rev. H. V. Gardner, of the Episcopal church, officiating.  She was 42 years of age, and leaves seven children.  (RCJul29/1887)

HAYES - Vienna, New York.  Died July 23, 1887, of paralysis, Mrs. JOHN HAYES, aged 71 years.  The funeral was held at the residence of Nelson Magee Sunday (July 24, 1887) at 10 A.M.  Interment took place at McConnellsville, NY.  She leaves four children -- John and William Hayes and Mrs. Nelson Magee of Vienna, New York, and Edgar Hayes, of Syracuse.  (RCJul29/1887)

HUMASTON - Vienna, New York.  Died July 23, 1887, of dropsy, Mrs NELSON HUMASTON, aged 77 years.  She leaves a husband, Nelson Humaston, and four sons, Robert, Elijah and Edward, of Vienna, New York and Samuel, of Boston, Mass.  Funeral was held at the house at 2 P.M.  Interment took place at McConnellsville, New York.  (RCJul29/1887)

BERG - NICHOLAS BERG, who was stabbed in Utica, New York, Saturday night, July 16, 1887, by the Italian Marchitto, died last Monday (July 18, 1887) from his injury.  A post mortem examination revealed the fact that the Italian's stiletto had passed completely through the abdomen, severing important muscles and lodging near the rectum.  For several days after the affray it was thought Mr. Berg would recover, but the examination shows that there was no chance of recovery from the first.
     It is currently reported that Machitto, after eluding the officers between this city (Rome, NY) and Utica, made his way directly to New York, and immediately sailed for Italy.  If such is the case, the murder of Mr. Berg will probably never be avenged.  (RCJul29/1887)  [another item in the same paper is as follows]
           Nicholas Berg is dead, and thanks to that sapient Utica policeman who went to Oriskany to "Wait till the clouds roll by," and the assasin Marchitto to come along to be arrested.  Should he be caught now, the hurried embalmment of Berg's remains defeating proper investigation would allow the murderer to escape merited punishment.  (RCJul29/1887)

THOMAS - GEORGE R. THOMAS, cashier of the Second National Bank of Utica, and brother of F. H. Thomas of this city, (Rome, NY) died at his home in Utica Monday evening, (July 25, 1887) of organic disease of the heart.  In 1840 Mr. Thomas came to this city and accepted the position of teller of the Bank of Rome, then located on Dominick street near where the store of M. M. Davis now stands.  In 1844 he was made cashier of the bank, and held that posiiton till the charter expired, about 1864.  In 1852 he married Miss Mary C. Brayton, a niece of the late Edward S. Brayton, of Utica, and in 1864  they went to that city to live.  Together with Mr. Brayton he organized the Second National Bank of Utica that year, and was made its cashier, holding the position to the time of his death.  He was one of the directors of the bank.  Deceased was always held in high esteem by all who ever had the pleasure of his acquaintance, and held many positions of trust outside of his banking duties.  Besides his wife he leaves four daughters, Sarah B., Mary, Elizabeth N., and Emily S. Thomas.  (RCJul29/1887)

HALEY - Mrs. ANN HALEY, wife of Richard Haley, was killed by an engine on the West Shore road near her residence, about three miles west of Vernon village, Wednesday (July 27, 1887) between 5 and 6 P.M.  She had crossed the track to get the cows, and was returning.  The cows had passed across, and as Mrs. Haley was about to follow, a freight train came along and she waited till that passed.  She then started to cross, and as she reached the second track a light engine came whizzing past, striking her and throwing her high in the air.  She was picked up by her husband, in whose arms she breathed her last.  Those who saw the terrible accident say the engine gave no signal of its approatch, as it should have done.
     Coroner Millington, of this city, (Rome, NY) was notified, and he immediatly visited the scene of the accident, and impaneled the following jury:  Timothy Collins, John Moore, G. R. Morrison, Thomas Kennedy, Fred Martin, Richard Burke, Charles Crocker, Thomas A. Meyer and John S. Schwarz.  After taking some testimony, the inquest was adjourned till 5 P.M. to-day, when the railroad hands will be sworn.
     Mrs. Haley was about 50 years of age, and had been a resident of the town of Vernon for the past 25 years.  (RCJul29/1887)

HOUSE - Rome, New York.  Mr. and Mrs. Michael House, Jr., are mourning the loss of an infant son, who died last evening of congestion of the brain.  (RCJul29/1887)

SCHNEIBLE - Rome, New York.   Frank Schneible and wife of Lawrence street suffered the loss of an infant daughter Wednesday (July 27, 1887) evening.   (RCJul29/1887)

 MURPHY - Last Sunday (July 24, 1887) JOHN MURPHY, of New London, came to this city (Rome, NY) with a horse and buggy belonging to Henry Bissell, who resides near the Verona line, and for whom he had been working.  While here, Murphy became intoxicated, and about 9 P.M. started for home.  Early Monday morning the horse and buggy were found floating in the canal between the Fort Bull and Hutchins' bridges.  C. W. Herrig and George Mehl, who reside in the vicinity, towed the horse and vehicle to the shore, and upon getting the latter out of the water were horrified to find the dead body of Murphy lying in the bottom.  It is thought while driving along the towpath on his way home.  Murphy fell asleep and the horse stumbled into the canal, and the driver's condition was such that he could not help himself and was consequently drowned.  Mr. Bissell valued the rig at $125. Monday afternoon Coroner Millington impaneled a jury and commenced an inquest at the undertaking rooms of J. M. Orton & Sons, whither the body had been brought.  After listening to the testimony of several witnesses who saw Murphy in this city on Sunday, they rendered a verdict of accidental drowning.  Deceased was aged 40 years, and leaves one sister in this vicinity, Mrs. Keech, of Oneida.  (RCJul29/1887)

SMITH - Mrs. JAMES M. SMITH, daughter of the late Judge John T. Sherwood, a native of Vernon, New York, died recently in Edinburg, Scotland, where she had gone for the benefit of her health.  For several years past she had resided in Buffalo.  Her age was 62 years.  (RCJul29/1887)

SKYES - WILLIAM SKYES, aged 21 years was drowned in the Black River canal at Foresport, New York, Friday (July 22, 1887) evening.  He was engaged in loading a boat and accidentally fell into the water.  He was a son of Henry Skyes, of Forestport.  (RCJul29/1887)

MALONEY - WILLIAM MALONEY, a pedder living at Clark's Mills, was found dead in bed on Saturday (July 23, 1887) morning.  Death evidently resulted from fatty degeneration of the heart.  Maloney was 72 years old and weighed 300 pounds.  (RCJul29/1887)

AIKENS - The three year old son of Hon Frank Aikens, of Canton, Dakota, formerly of Rome, New York, was fatally scalded one day last week.  (RCJul29/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, August 5, 1887

LAMPHEAR - In New Hartford, New York, July 27, 1887, JOHN H., son of William and Margaret Lamphear, aged 17 years, 9 months and 5 days.  (RCAug05/1887)

SEVINGS - In Whitesboro, New York, July 28, 1887, JANE SEVINGS, daughter of the late Robert Bleazard, aged 63 years.  (RCAug05/1887)

WILSON - In New Hartford, New York, July 28, 1887, ROBERT WILSON, aged 11 years, 3 months and 19 days.  (RCAug05/1887)

PADDOCK - In Vienna, New York, July 27, 1887, ROBERT PADDOCK, father of Mrs. C. S. Tremain, aged 80 years.  (RCAug05/1887)

DOYLE - In Rome, New York, July 31, 1887, MARGARET M. DOYLE, relict of the late Miles Doyle, aged 61 years.  Her disease was consumption of the stomach.  She was the mother of William J., James J.,  Gretta, and John W. Doyle.  She died at her home on Embargo street.  (RCAug05/1887)

JONES - In Whitesboro, New York, July 30, 1887, MARY B., daughter of J. Frank and Mary C. Jones, aged 8 months and 10 days.  (RCAug05/1887)

PERRY - At Stittville, New York, on Thursday, July 28, 1887, CATHARINE, wife of William J. Perry, aged 68 years.  (RCAug05/1887)

ROGERS - In North Western, New York, August 3, 1887,  MAHALY, widow of the late W. R. Rogers, aged 37 years.  (RCAug05/1887)

PLATO - In North Western, New York, August 3, 1887, A. W. PLATO, proprietor of the Half-way House.  (RCAug05/1887)

LEONARD - In Camden, New York, July 27, 1887, at the home of her son, Dr. H. W. Leonard, Mrs. ELIZA LEONARD, aged 92 years.  (RCAug05/1887)

KILBURN - Taberg, New York.  The infant recently born to Mr. and Mrs. Dean S. Kilburn died last evening (August 2, 1887).  They have the sympathy of many friends in their affliction.  (RCAug05/1887)

KING - Taberg, New York.  Mrs. KING died at the residence of her niece, Mrs. N. P. Willman, last Sunday (July 31, 1887).  Her funeral was largely attended from the house on Tuesday.  She was 92 years old.  (RCAug05/1887)

BARNETT - Many people in this county were surprised to learn of the death of Hon. MILTON D. BARNETT, which occurred at the residence of his mother, Mrs. Caroline Barnett, in Oneida, New York, Wednesday (August 3, 1887) morning.  Ever since last April he had suffered with softening of the brain, which was the cause of his death.
     Mr. Barnett was born in Morrisville, Madison county.  He received his education at Cazenovia and Whitestown seminaries, and was admitted to the bar in the county of his birth.  He commenced the practice of law in Oneida with an energetic and bright young man named Miles Fargo, and in 1868 they came to Rome and formed the law firm of Fargo & Barnett.  The senior member of the firm dying soon after, Mr. Barnett formed a copartnership with J. I. Sayles in 1870.  In 1874 he was elected district attorney of this county by the Republicans, and 1877 was re-elected to the same office.  He did faithful and effective work in the office he held, and at that time the future appeared very bright for him.  Soon after retiring from politics, he became interested in the Melleable Iron Works, but his investment did not prove profitable.  He afterwards formed a law partnership with Leonard Bronner, of Syracuse, and in 1884 the firm made its headquarters in that city, where Mr. Barnett resided until last April, when he went to his mother's home in Oneida.
     Mr. Barnett was connected with some of the most notable cases in this and Madison county, prominent among which was the prosecution as district attorney of the famous Germond burglars in 1875, and the defense of Mrs. Haight, the Madison county murderess, who is now serving a life-sentence in Syracuse penitentiary.
     Deceased was in his 44th year, and leaves besides his wife and mother, a brother, Capt. W. J. Barnett, of the U. S. navy, and a sister, Mrs. Cheney, of Oneida.  (RCAug05/1887)

BUTTS - D. K. BUTTS, a former resident of Stanwix, near Rome, New York, died at his home in Joliet, Illinois, Tuesday (August 2, 1887), aged 78 years.  He was the father of Mrs. A. Roberts, of Rome, and the brother of Mrs. J. H. Knight and Mrs. Charles Carroll.  (RCAug05/1887)

SAWYER - OSCAR G. SAWYER, formerly of Clinton, Oneida county, New York, died in the Chambers street hospital, New York city, last Sunday night (July 31, 1887), of exhaustion from the heat.  (RCAug05/1887)

RAY - CHARLES H. RAY, a prominent citizen of Camden, New York, died yesterday morning, aged 57 years.  (RCAug05/1887)

WALKER - Mrs. CHARLOTTE C. WALKER, widow of the late Robert Walker, died at her home on Thomas street last Friday (July 29, 1887) evening.  She was taken with a billious attack the Monday previous, but was not confined to her bed till Wednesday.  It is thought, however, that the immediate cause of her death was heart disease.  Mrs. Walker had been a resident of Rome nearly all her life, coming here with her parents when a child.  She was 78 years of age, and a consistent member of the Baptist church.  She leaves four children -- Robert T. Walker, of New York city, John A. Walker, of Tuscarora, Nevada, William A. Walker, of Rome, and Mrs. C. M. Robinson, of Auburn.  (RCAug05/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, August 12, 1887

WATTS - In Yorkville, New York, Tuesday, August 9, 1887, ISABELLA S., beloved daughter of James and Helen Watts, aged 32 years.  (RCAug12/1887)

HAGER - In Rome, New York, on Wednesday, August 10, 1887, HENRY HAGER, aged 69 years.  Funeral services at the family residence, 238 West Dominick street, on Saturday, at 2 P.M.  Besides a wife who survives him, he leaves nine children -- Henry D., Frederick J., and Albert R. Hager, Mrs. Fred J. Biggs, Misses Mary, Emma, Carrie and Mina Hager of Rome, New York, and three sisters, Mrs. Elizabeth Reese, of Rochester, Mrs. Catherine Reese and Mrs. Barbara P. Yorkey of Syracuse.
     At the time that Henry came to Rome he engaged in business with J. M. Agne at the present location of the Hauck Brother's meat market, on South James street.  After remaining there about a year he returned to Croton Point to assume the management of the Underwood vineyards.  After remaining in Croton a short time he returned to Verona and purchased two farms in company with his brothers John F. and Jacob P.  He afterward went to Croton again and remained there for a few years.  Returning to central New York, he settled in West Leyden, Lewis county, where he conducted a general store, in connection with one in Rome.  He afterwards removed to his Verona farm, and in 1865 came to this city (Rome) until a few years ago, when he sold out to his son Henry D. Hager, who is now conducting the business at the old stand on Dominick street.  [there seems to be more at the begining of his "life sketch", but my photocopy cut it off-transcriber]  (RCAug12/1887)

JERVIS - In Rome, New York, on Monday, August 8, 1887, Rev. TIMOTHY B. JERVIS, aged 78 years.  (RCAug12/1887)      (obit follows)

         Rev. Timothy B. Jervis, brother of the late John B. Jervis, died at his home on Bloomfield street, Rome, New York, Monday (August 8, 1887) evening, aged 78 years and six months.  His health had not been good for years, and his death was brought about by the wearing away of the system.  In early life he followed the profession of a civil engineer, and was associated with his brother, John B. Jervis.  In 1844 he entered the Presbyterian ministry, and did his first preaching at Taberg, Oneida county.  He afterward served on charges in Richfield Springs, Newport and Oriskany, and then spent several years in the west, preaching and establishing churches in small towns.  About 11 years ago he was compelled to give up preaching because of failing health, and took up his residence in Elmira.  In 1885 he came to this city (Rome, NY, his birth place) and made it his home up to the time of his death.  Mr. Jervis made many warm friends during his life, his quiet and unasumming manner having drawn them to him.  Besides his wife, a daughter, Mrs. Emily J. Vail, and a brother, Benjamin F. Jervis, of Toledo, Ohio, survive him.   (RCAug12/1887)

CARPENTER - In Rome, New York, August 5, 1887, Miss JENNIE CARPENTER, aged 37 years.  (RCAug12/1887)

FARR - In Rome, New York, August 4, 1887, of cholera infantum, ERNESTINE, daughter of Charles J. and Nellie M. Farr, aged 8 months and 7 days.  (RCAug12/1887)

BROWN - At Holland Patent, New York, August 3, 1887, NELLIE M., wife of James H. Brown, and daughter-in-law of State Dairy Commissioner J. K. Brown, aged 25 years, 3 months and 15 days, of pulmonary consumption.  Her father was the late Henry Fuller, mother still is living, no children.    (RCAug12/1887)

UNBENUM - In Rome, New York, August 6, 1887, GEORGE UNBENUM, aged 80 years.  (RCAug12/1887)

WRIGHT - In Rome, New York, August 5, 1887, Mrs. ISABELLE WALKER WRIGHT, aged 67 years, 9 months and 3 days.  (RCAug12/1887)   (obit follows)

     Early in July, Isabella, wife of Rev. B. S. Wright, suffered a stroke of paralysis which rendered her speechless and helpless, though she was apparently conscious.  On Thursday of last week she became unconscious, and Friday evening about 10:30 went to meet the Master whom she had fathfully served for many years.  Deceased was born in Dutchess county, New York and was the daughter of the late Richard Carpenter, of that place.    In 1812 Mrs. Wright married William J. Walker and they removed to Rome, New York the same year.  Mr. Walker erected the dwelling house on Washington street where the deceased passed away.  Mr. Walker died in 1865.  In June, 1880, Mrs. Walker married Rev. R. S. Wright, of this city (Rome, NY), who survives her.  She was an earnest Christian, and had been a consistent and active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church ever since her girlhood days.  Her son, Richard J. Walker, of Duke Center, Pa., was visiting her at the time she was afflicted in July and remained by her side until she died.  Besides her husband and the son above mentioned, she leaves another son, William Walker, of Beelerville, Kansas, and five brothers and one sister.  The funeral was largely attended at her late residence Monday afternoon.  The services were conducted by Rev. T. B. Shepherd, of the First M. E. church.  Eulogistic remarks were also made by Revs. F. H. Stanton, J. Zimmerman and C. W. Parsons, former pastors of the deceased.  The pall bearers were R. M. Bingham, J. D. Ely, N. B. Foot, G. W. Chase, L. E. Elmer and A. W. Honsinger.  The remains were taken to Rome Cemetery for interment.  (RCAug12/1887)  {see also (RCFeb23/1866)-WALKER and (RCAug12/1887)-WALKER]

PARK - In Rome, New York, August 6, 1887, of consumption, HENRY PARK, aged 51 years and 6 months.  (RCAug12/1887)   [in another article in the same paper, the following:]
            Henry Park, who has been ill with consumption for several weeks at the residence of M. H. Fisk, on East Dominick street, in Rome, New York, died last Saturday morning, aged 51 years and six months.  Deceased  was a native of Lee, NY and a son of the late Harvey Park of that town.  In 1860 he commenced the study of law in the office of Beach & Bailey in this city.  For the past fourteen years he has resided in Atlantic City, N. J., where practiced his profession.  He was highly esteemed by all who enjoyed the privilege of his acquaintance.  Besides three small children, he leaves two sisters, Mrs. Sidney Mitchell and Mrs. Martha Tuttle, both of this city.  The remains were taken to Lee for interment.  (RCAug12/1887)

BRITT - In Buffalo, New York, formerly of New London, NY, August 4, 1887, SAMUEL BRITT, aged 43 years, of typhoid fever.  He was born in Verona, Oneida county, where at one time after he became a man, be conducted a hotel.  He removed to Buffalo about eight years ago, purchased a tug boat and ran it up to about two weeks before his death.  He also at one time resided in Higginsville, New York, and thither his remains were brought for interment  Eld. William J. Morrell preached his funeral sermon.  He leaves a wife, but no children.. (RCAug12/1887)  [another notice gives death date as August 3, 1887-transcriber]

SIMPKINS - In East Florence, New York, August 8, 1887, MOSES SIMPKINS, aged about 70 years.  (RCAug12/1887)  [another article in the Aug. 19 paper in the Utica, NY items:]
           Moses Simpkins, who died a few days ago, was for many years one of the heaviest shippers of "pin" and curly maple in northern New York.  And his return from the east with the proceeds of a boat load always made a boom in Florence.  He was a respected citizen.  (RCAug19/1887)

SERVEY - In Rome, New York, August 7, 1887, of cholera infantum, STODDARD F., son of Franklin P. and Catherine E. Servey, aged 1 year, 4 months and 4 days.  (RCAug12/1887)

COLLINS - Miss LOVINA COLLINS, aged 20 years, oldest daughter of Reuben Collins, died on August 4, 1887, in a hack, on her way from Rome to New London, New York, of typhoid fever.  She was taken sick in Buffalo and was brought to Rome on the cars.  From the first of her illness she told her friends that she should die, and gave instructions as to the manner of her funeral, named her bearers, singers and minister; also the details of laying her out.  Rev. C. Manson, of the New London M. E. church officiated at the funeral on Sunday, at the Higginsville church.  The funeral was largely attended.  Mrs. Reuben Collins is quite ill.  She was unable to attend her daughter's funeral.  Mr. Collins will remain at home until his boat returns from New York.  They have the sympathy of all in the loss of their beloved daughter.  Deceased had been with her father, who is a boatman on the Erie Canal, until about two weeks ago, when she was taken sick.   (RCAug12/1887)

ORCUTT - It will be remembered that we announced, a few weeks ago, the death of F. L. Orcutt, of Sheridan, Iowa, brother of J. G. and N. G. Orcutt, of Rome, New York.  Since the decease of Mr. Orcutt, his family has met with terrible misfortune.  Last Saturday (August 6, 1887) Mrs. Orcutt's house was burned, and two days afterward HELEN, one of her daughters, died from the effects of burns received at the fire.  In order to save her two boys, aged four and six years respectively, Mrs. Orcutt dropped them from a second story window as the house was burning.  The elder struck on his head and received probably fatal injuries.  A nephew of Mrs. Orcutt named TAYLOR was also so severly burned he cannot recover.  The calamity affected Mrs. Orcutt so badly it is feared she will lose her reason.  Truly, her cup of sorrow is full to the brim.  (RCAug12/1887)

NISBET - Charles B. Thomson, of Elwood, New Jersey, writes to the Citizen as follows concerning the suicide in that place of a former resident of Lee, Oneida county, New York:
          Elwood, NJ, August 9, 1887.  Our village was yesterday morning the scene of unusual solemnity, caused by the suicide of E. A. Nisbet, formerly of Lee, in your county.  Mr. N. was a person esteemed by all who knew him.  He was for several years town clerk, and in this, as every other station he occupied, he filled to the satisfaction of all.  He leaves a wife.  (RCAug12/1887)

JACKSON - Mrs. WILLIAM JACKSON, formerly a resident of Rome, New York, died at her home in Athol, Mass., August 4, 1887.  It will be remembered that at one time, Mr. Jackson was master mechanic at the R. W. & O. R. R. shops in Rome, and was for a time a member of our Common Council from the fifth ward.  Many former Rome friends extend their sympathy in his affliction.   (RCAug12/1887)

GORTON - Mrs. EUNICE GORTON, widow of the late Valentine Gorton, and mother of George Gorton, of Rome, New York, died at her home in Waterville, New York, Wednesday, (August 10, 1887) aged 85 years.  Deceased was born in Waterville, and spent all her years there.  (RCAug12/1887)

MERRELL - Mrs. ELIZABETH MERRELL, of Utica, New York, committed suicide yesterday morning by taking "rough on rats."   (RCAug12/1887)

ERWIN - C. B. ERWIN, who died in New Britain, Conn., in 1885, gave in his will $12,000 to the Boonville Cemetery Association, $18,000 to the Baptist church, $10,000 to the Presbyterian church, $25,000 for the establishment of a free library and reading room, and $20,000 for a public park.  A contest which resulted has just been withdrawn and the bequests will be paid.  (RCAug12/1887)

ROGERS - The 15-year old daughter of JOHN ROGERS, who was recently drowned near Yorkville, jumped into the canal near that place Sunday (August 7, 1887) with suicidal intent.  A man from a passing boat rescured her.  When questioned she said she wanted to go where John and Levi went, meaning her father and the man who was drowned with him.  (RCAug12/1887)

ORTH - On July 13, 1887 JOHN M. ORTH, the well known clothier of Camden, New York, left that village for New York city, and on the 16th set sail for German, the land of his birth.  The third day out his health failed him and he suddenly died, and was consigned to a watery grave the same day.  His health was delicate when he left home and it is supposed the rigers of the voyage were too much for him.  He was a member of several fraternal organizations in Camden, and also of the Rome Commandery, Knights Templar.  He was a gentleman of high standing in Camden, and his death will be sorely felt.  (RCAug12/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, August 19, 1887

HUNGERFORD - In Rome, New York, August 11, 1887, Mrs. MARY A., wife of the late Samuel Hungerford, aged 72 years and 6 months.  She was the mother of E. E. Hungerford, of Rome, and died at her home, corner of George and Liberty streets.  Besides the above named son, one daughter, Miss Susie Hungerford, survives her.   (RCAug19/1887)

WELLS - In Cleveland, New York, August 9, 1887, Mrs. BETSEY E. WELLS, mother of Fred Wells of Rome, New York, aged 77 years.  (RCAug19/1887)

DOXTATER - In Verona, New York, August 11, 1887, HANNAH DOXTATER, wife of R. H. Doxtater, aged 58 years.  (RCAug19/1887)  [Vienna, NY, Albert Covell is home from the canal to attend the funeral of his aunt, Mrs. Robert Doxtater.]

UTLEY - In Rome, New York, August 13, 1887, EMILY UTLEY, daughter of Squire Utley, deceased, late of the town of Western, NY, aged 57 years.  She died of a complication of diseases, principal among which was liver difficulty.  She had spent the greater part of her life in the town of Western.  She was a member of Zion church, in Rome, NY, and her funeral was held there on Monday.  Her remains were taken to Westernville, NY for interment.  Three brothers and one sister survive:  H. T. Utley, of Waterville, Alvin Utley, of Syracuse, Alfred Utley and Mrs. Sarah Baker, of Western, NY.   (RCAug19/1887)

WATSON - At New York Mills, New York, August 14, 1887, WILLIAM WATSON, aged 67 years.  (RCAug19/1887)

PUGH - In Rome, New York, August 15, 1887, MARY LIZZIE PUGH, daughter of Hugh G. and Maggie Pugh, of brain fever, aged 2 years, 9 months and 22 days.  (RCAug19/1887)

AUSTIN - Miss NELLIE AUSTIN, daughter of S. H. Austin, of North Western, New York, died at 8:30 A.M. yesterday, of consumption of the bowels, aged about 18 years.  She had been sick about eighteen months.  (RCAug19/1887)

WENDT - FRED WENDT died early Sunday (August 14, 1887) morning, aged 44 years.  He was a well known and much respected citizen.  His funeral was from his late home, No. 91 Liberty St., Rome, New York.   Rev. Rommel of the Moravian church, conducted the services.  John Kohler, Ernst Reusswig, George Zimmer,  Jacob Lenhardt, John Giersbach, and Fred Kohler, were the bearers.  He was buried in Forest Hill cemetery.  (RCAug19/1887)

MANAHAN - Mr. MANAHAN, of Oswego, New York, father-in-law of J. F. Gallagher, of Utica, New York, was killed by the cars at Oswego Wednesday. (August 17, 1887)       (RCAug19/1887)

AMES - LUCIUS AMES, of Richfield Springs, had his leg caught in the cylinder of a threshing machine, a few days ago, which took it off just below the knee.  He died from the shock soon afterward.  (RCAug19/1887)

WENTWORTH - The death of Mrs. A. J. WENTWORTH occurred at her home in West Lee, New York, last Sunday (August 14, 1887).  The deceased had been a great sufferer for many months, and the best medical skill was brought to bear on her case, but she was beyond the aid of human science.  She was of  Episcopalian faith, and her husband endeavored to secure a cleryman of that denomination to officiate at the funeral, but being unable to do so he procured Rev. Mr. Morrell of Verona, who spoke works of consolation from I Peter.

PECK - Delta, New York, August 3, 1887, died at the residence of her sister, Mrs. C. F. Smith, Miss E. A. PECK one of the last of the few remaining residents who were acquainted with all the local events of the town for the last seventy years.  She has been in poor health for some time and was confined to her bed for the last seven weeks, during which she suffered a stroke of paralysis about two weeks before she died.  She was born April 14, 1807, and remembered well when her father, Capt. Gates Peck, went to the war of 1812.  Those were the days that tried men's souls, and women's also.  But few able-bodied men were left at home from the field of action, consequently the women and children were left to harvest the crops.  They worked with a will, while a shot gun was nearly always with them to keep off wild animals or the British, who were expected to cross the border and ravage the country.  At this time, the subject of this sketch was attending the district school on Elmer Hill -- Delta at that time not having been thought of.  A big house was standing on the site of the house now occupied by Mrs. F. Greenwood, which was one of the last of its kind in this locality.  She afterward attended the well known select school of Mr. Oliver Grosvenor at Rome, NY.  She then taught school for about twenty years, beginning as an assistant to Miss Selden and also to Gen. Jesse J. Armstrong, on Elmer Hill, which school then consisted of nearly 85 scholars.  She afterward taught at Westernville, Frenchville, Delta, Spencer Settlement, Utica, and many other district schools.  While many of her scholars preceded her to another worlld, there are now many middle aged men and women who will familiarly remember Miss Peck as their teacher in days long gone by.  In later years she resided in Delta, where she was respected by all who knew her.  She jointed the Episcopal church at an early age and died in the belief she had always lived.  Thus one by one the connecting links between the past and the present are broken in twain, and very soon the only incidents and reminiscences to be learned of our early history will be only those handed down to properity by the aid of printer's ink.  (RCAug19/1887)

PILLMORE - SARAH R. PILLMORE, wife of Dr. J. Pillmore, died yesterday (August 16, 1887) morning, in Delta, New York, after three weeks' illness with typhoid fever.  About six weeks ago their youngest child of three years, was taken with the fever, but is now nearly recovered.  She was fatigued with constant care and anxiety and became an easy victim to the dreadful disease.  The doctor has also been sick nearly two weeks with the same complaint, and is in a critical condition at present.  He, and the two little girls who are left motherless, have the heartfelt sympathy of a large circle of friends and neighbors.  Mrs. Pilmore was a very pleasant and agreeable companion, and a lady who will be greatly missed.  The funeral will be held on Thursday at 10 o'clock at the residence, Rev. W. B. Parmelee officiating.  (RCAug19/1887)

TAFT - The infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Taft died a few days ago of cholera infantum.  (RCAug19/1887)

WOLFF - The infant son of Henry Wolff died a few days ago.  (RCAug19/1887)

COWLES - Dr. JOHN A COWLES, of Rome, New York, died at his home in New York city Monday (August 15, 1887) night.  He was born in Jefferson county, and came to this city in 1848, where he resided and practiced dentistry until about six years ago, when he removed to New York city.  For several years past his health had been poor, compelling him to relinquish active business pursuits most of the time.  About two and a half years ago he suffered a stroke of paralysis, and since then has been in a large measure helpless, but did not commence to fail rapidly until about two weeks before his death.  During his residence in this city he was a faithful and earnest member of the First M. E. church.  His age was 73 years, and he leaves besides his wife, three sons and two daughters -- Dr. A. B. Cowles, of Rome; J. Edward and Wilson E. Cowles, Mrs. T. W. Ormiston and Mrs. Andrew Lester, of New York city.  The remains were brought to this city for interment, and short services were held at the residence of his son, Dr. A. B. Cowles, on Washington street yesterday.  The services were conducted by Rev. T. B. Shepherd, pastor of the First M. E. church of this city, assisted by Rev. Mr. Harrower of St. Andrew's M. E. church, New York city.  Samuel Wardwell, J. D. Ely, L. E. Elmer, Jabez Wright, S. F. Tremain and A. S. Roberts acted as bearers.  The interment took place in the Rome cemetery.  (RCAug19/1887)

ADAMS - Mrs. ELIZA M. ADAMS, wife of  L. D. Adams, of Delta, New York, died Wednesday (August 17, 1887) evening of consumption, after a year's illness, aged 32 years.  Mrs. Adams was born in Delta, and had always resided there.  Funeral was attended at the M. E. church last Friday.  (RCAug19/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, August 26, 1887

FRENCH - In Trenton, New York, August 22, 1887, IDA, wife of Charles French, in her 23d year.  (RCAug26/1887)

ECKER - In Oriskany, New York, August 24, 1887, ALICE E., wife of W. A. Ecker, aged 89 years, 1 month and 21 days.  (RCAug26/1887)

PIKE - In Westernville, New York, died Wednesday, August 24, 1887, at 3:30 P.M., Miss BULIA ANN PIKE, aged 66 years, of quick consumption.  Miss Pike had always been a resident of that town and lived and died in the house where her father, Jotham Pike, lived and died.   (RCAug26/1887)

TANNER - In Rome, New York, August 24, 1887, GEORGE WASHINGTON TANNER, aged 78 years, father of the late Lorenzo Tanner died at his home on East Dominick street.  For a number of years he has been compelled to walk on an artificial leg, he having lost a leg by being run over by the cars.  Tuesday he accidentally fell while walking across the floor, and the shock was so severe it doubtless hastened his death the next day.  He was a painter by trade.  He resided here nearly all his life, coming here from Camden, New York when a small boy.   (RCAug26/1887)

BUTLER - In Sauquoit, New York, August 17, 1887, GEORGE H. BUTLER, aged 64 years.  (RCAug26/1887)

CRAWFORD - In New York Mills, New York, August 17, 1887, MARGARET, wife of John Crawford, aged 78 years.  (RCAug26/1887)

KENNERLY - At New York Mills, New York, August 18, 1887, FREDERICK S., son of William and Martha Kennerly, aged 17 years.  (RCAug26/1887)

SCHUYLER - In Utica, New York, August 19, 1887, FREDERICK E., son of Joseph K. and Ann E. Schuyler, of Westmoreland, died of paralysis of the brain, aged 24 years and 6 months.  Until about six weeks ago he was employed on a railroad in Nebraska, but his health being impared he came home, and was on his way to Richfield Springs when the terrible malady overtook him. [another notice says FREDERICK  K.]  (RCAug26/1887)

BRILL - In Westmoreland, New York, August 18, 1887, WILLIAM BRILL, aged 65 years.  (obit follows)

He Passes Suddenly Away at His Home Near Lowell -- Heart Disease the Cause.
          Rome and many portions of the county were shocked last Friday morning when it was learned that William Brill, a prominent resident of the twon of Westmoreland, New York, had died suddenly the evening previous.  Mr. Brill had enjoyed the best of health all his life, with no ailment other than an attck of asthma occasionally.  He was feeling as well as usual Thursday, and in the evening went out riding.  Upon his return and just before retiring he stepped to the well and took a drink of water.  He had no more than done so when he turned and said to his hired girl, "Nettie, I am dying."  She hastened to him and assisted him to a horse block standing near, when he expired immediately.  Only his hired help was present, Mrs. Brill being at Round Lake.  Dr. Jackson, of Verona, was sent for, and he gave it as his opinion that heart disease was the cause of his death.

BRONSON - OTTO BRONSON, a young man 18 years of age, who resided about two miles from the village of Hamilton, Madison county, New York, was instantly killed while playing ball Monday (August 22, 1887) near his home.  He was at the bat, and on attempting to dodge a ball which the pitcher threw, was struck by it close behind the left ear.  (RCAugust 26/1887)

WHEELER - SHUBEL WHEELER, who died at Palmyra, Wisconsin, August 3, 1887, formerly resided at Greenway, Oneida county, New York, and was a brother of the late Asa and George Wheeler, and uncle of the Wheeler brothers.  The deceased was born in Glastonbury, Conn., in 1800.  He also leaves besides his family two brothers -- Jared Wheeler, of Palermo, New York, now in his 85th year, and Orson Wheeler, of Vineland, New Jersey, over 80 years of age.  (RCAug26/1887)

BULLARD - S. C. BULLAND died at his home in Princeton, Mass., on August 14, 1887.  In 1854 he came with his brother, M. H. Bullard, to Vernon, Oneida county, New York, from Princeton, where they started the manufacture of scythe rifles.  This business was continued for about twenty-five years, when the brothers returned to Princeton.  During his residence in Vernon he made many lifelong friends who are pained to learn of his death.  (RCAug26/1887)

LEWIS - JOHN D. LEWIS, son of Mrs. Elizabeth Lewis, died August 16, 1887, at Howard, Montana, after an illness of three weeks, of typhoid fever.  He was 19 years of age, and had been in Montana since February, he having gone there to engage in the cattle business with his brother, Hugh S. Lewis.  The remains, accompanied by the brother, arrived in this city (Rome, NY) Monday, and were taken to the home of Mrs. Lewis, in Floyd, where the funeral occurred Tuesday.  The deceased was a pleasant lad, and made friends wherever he went.  He was a brother of Edward J. Lewis, of Rome, NY, Hugh S. Lewis, of Montana, Mrs. Edward Roderick, of Blue Springs, Neb., and Miss Libbie Lewis, of Floyd, NY.    (RCAug26/1887)

FITCH - JOSIAH P. FITCH, who will be remembered by many of our older citizens, died at his residence, No. 240 West 43d Street, New York city, on Sunday last, (August 21, 1887) after several months' illness from Bright's disease, in connection with organic heart trouble.  The deceased came to Rome, New York about 1842.  His mother and his sister, who afterward became the wife of D. W. Perkins, dentist, came with him.  Mr. Fitch was educated at Hamilton College, and then read law in the office of Hon. G. B. Matteson, in Utica, where he formed an enduring friendship for that gentleman.  He afterward became connected with the ROMAN CITIZEN as editor, and so continued for some six years, from 1842 to 1848, when he was succeeded by the late G. H. Lynch.  For a portion of the six years of his editorial charge of the CITIZEN he was also proprietor, having leased the CITIZEN from Horace N. Bill, who founded it.  Mr. Bill retaining the job department.  During Mr. Fitch's incumbency of the editorial chair he became involved in some very bitter editorial controversies with the Sentinel and a paper published in Camden, edited by one E. C. Hatton.  So bitter and personal became the fight between the CITIZEN and the Sentinel at one time that a personal collision occurred between Mr. Fitch and the editor of the Sentinel, George E. Young.  For some personal allusions made by Young, Fitch undertook to rawhide him on the street.  The attack was made in the afternoon in front of the store now occupied by H. Ripinski, but then occupied by P. B. Langford as a hardware store.  When struck, Young ran into the store, drawing his jack knife as he ran, and opening it struck at Fitch, hitting him in the neck, and making quite a cut just over the jugular vein.  Had the edge of the knife been turned inward instead of outward, the blow would no doubt have been fatal.  The most intense excitement existed in our streets for some time; sides were taken, and a personal street fight between some of our oldest and most respected citizens was with difficulty avoided.  During all the factious fights in the Whig party between Hon. O. B. Matteson and Hon. B. N. Huntington, Mr. Fitch ably and successfully advocated the cause of Mr. Matteson.
     He was the most pungent and effective writer that has ever presided over the editorial columns of the CITIZEN, and his like will not soon be seen again.  He was with all a most genial companion and a most steadfast friend, and was for years a power in the ranks of the Whig party in Oneida county.  He was also, for two terms, one of the Loan Commisioners for this county, appointed by the Governor.
     Mr. Fitch has resided in New York city since he left Rome over thirty years ago, and the New York Times, alluding to his death and business career there, says:
          He came to New York city in 1856, and turned his attention to patent cases.  He was counsel for the Gamewell Fire Alarm company, for the Western Union Telegraph company and for Charles Grafton Page, the associate of Professor Morse, the inventor of the telegraph.  Mr. Fitch had in his possession at the time of his death Page's origianl set of instruments.  During war times, in addition to his law business, he was interested in the manufacture of firearms, ammunition and war supplies, and was brought naturally into contact with Lincoln, Stanton and others.  He was prominent in several electric light litigations, and up to the time of his death was conducting some very important cases.  He leaves a widow, two sons and four daughters, two the latter being married.  The funeral service was held at his residence at 11 A.M. Wednesday.
     The widow and family of the deceased will have the sympathy of their many friends in this vicinity in their affliction.  Mr. Fitch was 70 years of age.   (RCAug26/1887)

BLISS - A few weeks ago Surrogate Bliss and his wife left for Boston and the seashore.  After visiting several points of interest they stopped at Merwin's Point, near New Haven, Conn.  After remaining there some time Mrs. W. B. BLISS, found that the salt air did not agree with her, and she and Mr. Bliss left for New York, intending to return home on Tuesday.  They stopped at the Grand Union hotel Monday night, and on Tuesday (August 23, 1887) morning, when she arose at six o'clock, Mrs. Bliss complained of feeling ill.  Mr. Bliss noticed that she was breathing heavily, and he called a porter and summoned a physician. The physician soon arrived, but Mrs. Bliss died before any help could be rendered her -- about twenty minutes after she was taken.  The physician pronouned it heart disease.  Although Mrs. Bliss' health has not been of the best for several years, yet this summer she had been better than usual, and the trip to the seashore was more for the benefit of the surrogate than herself.  It may well be supposed that Mr. Bliss is wild with grief, for a more devoted man to his wife could not be found.  He left New York city Tuesday evening with the remains, arriving in Rome, New York, Wednesday moring at 5:42.
     Mrs. Emeline E. Bliss was born in the town of Western, New York, and was the daughter of Cyrus F. Clark.  In 1862 she married Mr. Bliss, and they took up their residence in Lee Center until 1867, when they came to Rome, and have since resided here.  The deceased was a memeber of the Baptist church and was greatly endeared to all who knew her.  Besides the afflicted husband, she leaves one son, Willard C. Bliss, aged 18, who was at Oneida Lake at the time of his mother's death.  Mrs. Bliss was in her 49th year.
     The funeral was very largely attended from the family residence, No. 608 North George street, at 1:30 yesterday afternoon.  Rev. Dr. Peabody of the Baptist church conducted the services.  The bearers were:  C. C. Reid, J. R. Edwards, J. S. Baker, J. C. Smith, J. H. Searles and W. R. Jones.  The interment took place in the Rome cemetery.  (RCAug26/1887)

NILES - The mania for taking one's own life seems to be on the increase, and as usual in casualties of all kinds Oneida county comes in for her share.  Last Saturday morning (August 20, 1887), Mrs. Mary Culver, who resides with her husband near the Oriskany monument, missed her mother, Mrs. MARY NILES (who resided with her) from the house.  After a diligent search she came upon the body of her mother at the rear of the barn.  Life was extinct, and her throat was cut from ear to ear.  Near by was the weapon with which the deed was done -- an ordinary butcher knife.  The remains were taken into the house and Coroner Millington, of Rome, NY, notified.  He impaneled a jury, and after taking the testimony of several witnesses, a verdict of suicide while laboring under a temporary aberration of mind was rendered.  The deceased was 77 years of age.   (RCAug26/1887)

HARVEY - On Saturday (August 20, 1887) morning EBENEZER HARVEY, who resides with his son, John Harvey, near Washington Mills, New York, took a dose of Paris green and died from the effects soon afterward.  Before he expired he stated that he was tired of living and had taken the poison to end his troubles.  He lost his wife about a year ago, and since then his mind has been unbalanced.  Coroner Jones, of Utica, held an inquest and a verdict was rendered in accordance with the above facts.  (RCAug26/1887)

WHITE - On Tuesday (August 23, 1887) morning at the residence of her sister, Mrs. H. H. Pope, corner of Dominick and George streets in Rome, New York, occurred the death of Mrs ADAH WHITE, relict of the late Moses T. White, of the town of Western.  The deceased was born on Elmer Hill, and was the daughter of the late Andrew Elmer, one of the pioneer residents of that town.  At the death of her husband, about ten years ago, she came to the city and took up her residence with Mrs. Pope.  Her age was 79 years, and her disease was incident to old age.  The funeral occurred yesterday at the residence of Mrs. Pope, and the services were conducted by Rev. G. E. Purucker, pastor of St. Joseph's Episcopal church.  The remains were interred in Rome cemetery.  (RCAug26/1887)

JONES - WILLIAM B. JONES, at one time engaged on the editorial staff of the Y DRYCH, at Utica, died at Mount Vernon on Monday. (August 22, 1887)     (RCAug26/1887)

Barbara Andresen