Rome Citizen Death Notices in 1887

Thanks to Barbara Andresen for sending this in!

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, November 4, 1887

DODGE - At South Trenton, New York, October 22, 1887, Mrs. ELIZA DODGE, aged 83 years.  Deceased formerly resided at Hatch's Corners.  (RCNov04/1887)

BENJAMIN - In Rome, New York, October 29, 1887, ELIZA BENJAMIN, aged 72 years.  (RCNov04/1887)

WELLS - In Holland Patent, New York, October 30, 1887, D. ALBERTA, only daughter of A. B. and Dora E. Wells aged 22 years and 4 months.  (RCNov04/1887)

SHAW - In Deerfield, New York, October 31, 1887, HELEN, wife of Henry W. Shaw, aged 45 years and 7 months.  (RCNov04/1887)

STRYKER - In Rome, New York, November 1, 1887, PIERSON, son of the Rev. Isaac P. Stryker, aged 30 years.  (RCNov04/1887)

ZIMMERMAN - At Rome, New York, October 31, 1887, SIMON ZIMMERMAN, late private, company E., 26th regiment, N.Y.V., aged 48 years.  (RCNov04/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida Coutny, New York, Friday, November 11, 1887

MERRILL - In Milwaukee, Wisconsin, recently, MARY D. MERRILL, neice of Mrs. W. B. Lennox of Rome, New York, aged 22 years.  (RCNov11/1887)

O'LEARY - At the residence of W. H. Mills, Ridge Mills, New York, November 4, 1887, Mrs. CATHERINE O'LEARY, formerly of Oneida Castle, NY, aged 33 years.  (RCNov11/1887)

MEARS - At Germantown, Philadelphia, November 2, 1887, Mrs. P. A. H. MEARS, widow of the late Prof. John W. Mears, D.D., of Hamilton College.  Interred at Clinton, New York.  (RCNov11/1887)

MORTON - In Vernon Center, New York, November 5, 1887, J. JENNIE MORTON, wife of E. J. Morton, aged 33 years.  (RCNov11/1887)

DOW - LOW DOW, a Chinese doctor, magician and musician, dopped dead in St. Joseph, Mo., Saturday.  He was widely known through the west.  He was the seventh son of the seventh son of the seventh son, and it was with difficulty that the Chinese could be induced to testify in his case.  He died from drink.  (RCNov11/1887)

WILLIAMS - Verona, New York.  The funeral of WILLIAM WILLIAMS, who died suddenly on Sunday (November 6, 1887), was held on Wednesday, at 1 o'clock P. M. at the residence of Mrs. Williamson, where he had been engaged as workman.  The funeral was attended by Joseph H. Warren Post. No. 615, G.A.R., of this place (Verona, NY), the members of which organization had to attend to the wants of the deceased through his sickness.  Mr. Williams was a member of Company F, 2d N. Y. Heavy Artillery.  He enlisted under Capt. Houseman in September 1861, and was mustered out of service in December 1865, Capt. Rounds.  His age was 56 years.  W. Hector Gates, of Oneida, secretary of the 2d N. Y. Heavy Artillery, was present.  Rev. G. B. Fairhead, of Utica, conducted the services.  Comrades Wood, Merry, Bacon and Case, acted as bearers.  (RCNov11/1887)

DURHAM - New London, New York.  Cyrus Durham, an old resident of Durhamville, NY, and whose father lived there before the place had a name, it being named after him, went some years ago to Indiana accompanied by his estimable wife, who has just died of heart disease.  Mrs. DURHAM's body was brought back to her old home to be buried.  (RCNov11/1887)

DALE - JOSEPH DALE, who has resided on the Clark place near Riverside Park, on Floyd avenue, died suddenly of heart disease Wednesday afternoon. (November 9, 1887)  On Tuesday he was as well as ever, and came to this city (Rome, NY) and cast his vote as usual.  Nothing out of the way with him was noticed Wednesday morning.  He visited the Riverside Park hotel to learn the result of the election.  Later in the day M. D. Hollister of this city drove to Mr. Dale's and purchased some eggs of him.  Shortly after Mr. Hollister's departure, Augustus Dale, a son, came home and found his father in the house dead. He lay on his hands and knees with his head touching the floor, as though he had fallen in attempting to rise from a chair which stood behind him.  The son immediately sent for Dr. R. E. Sutton and Coroner Millington.  Both pronounced it a case of heart disease.  The coroner considered an inquest unnecessary.
      Joseph Dale was born at Davins, Mass.  In his youth he learned the tanner's and currier's trade.  For many years he was engaged in the currying business in Salem, Mass.  In 1865 he removed to Westernville in this county, where he conducted a tannery till 1877.  Last fall he came to this city and has since resided here.  Mrs. Dale died at Westernville in 1876.  About this time Mr. Dale met with an accident which resulted in fracturing the bones of one of his legs.  Aside from this he had hardly known what indisposition was.  He leaves six children--Augustus, Arthur L., and Miss Seddie Dale, of this city; Mrs. Hall, wife of Dr. Charles O. Hall, of Paris, France; Mrs. Seaton, wife of Dr. E. H. Seaton, of Great Barrington, Mass.; and Mrs. Joseph Blair, of Warren, Mass., and a sister, Mrs. Fuller, of Davins Plains, Mass.  (RCNov11/1887)

MEREDITH - JAMES MEREDITH, employed in the New York Central yards at Utica, New York, as assistant train dispatcher, was struck by one train and thrown under another, and almost instantly killed.  He died in a few minutes after being struck.  A coroner's inquest resulted in a verdict of accidental death.  (RCNov11/1887)
        [following in the next week's paper:]
             James Meredith, who was killed by the cars last week in Utica was a brother of John Meredith of Rome, New York, and forerly lived here.  He was a son of Mrs. M. Pugh, of Floyd Avenue.  (RCNov18/1887)

VAN BUREN - Mrs. VAN BUREN, wife of R. C. Van Buren, formerly of Rome, New York, died at her home in Victory, Cayuga county, NY, last week, aged 62 years.  She was an aunt of William M. Beeman, of Rome, New York.  (RCNov11/1887)

WALDBY - EBENEZER I. WALDBY, son of R. Waldby, formerly of Rome, New York, died at his home in Adrian, Michigan, October 31, 1887, aged 59 years.  (RCNov11/1887)

NOTHACKER - Last Sunday (November 6, 1887) evening, LUDWIG NOTHACKER died at his home, aged 78 years.  (RCNov11/1887)

CHAPMAN - The body of an unknown young man, about 23 years of age, light complexion and light hair, about five feet and eight inches in height and weighing apparently about 160 pounds, was found cut in two pieces on the West Shore railroad at Oneida Castle Wednesday. (November 9, 1887).  The name "J. Chapman" appeared in indelible ink on some of his underclothing.  (RCNov11/1887)  [following in the next week's paper:]
              The remains of a tramp killed by train cars last week at Oneida Castle were those of JOSEPH CHAPMAN, an inmate at Utica insane asylum, who had escaped the day previous.  (RCNov18/1887)

CHATFIELD - Mrs. ALOHA CHATFIELD, of Vienna, New York, died on Saturday, (November 5, 1887) at the advanced age of 87.  Although feeble, Mrs. C. was in usual health, having walked about the garden the afternoon previous to her death.  Early on Saturday morning she was seized with a severe fit of coughing, which aroused her daughter, who went to her mother's assistance, but it was of no avail.  In ten minutes she breathed her last.  Five children survive -- Dr. A. T. Chatfield and Mrs. Olive Beebe, of South Corners, Luman Chatfield, of Troy, Daniel Chatfield, of Syracuse, and Mrs. Adaline Farrington, of Constantia.  (RCNov11/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida county, New York, Friday, November 18, 1887

WALKER - In Deansville, New York, November 16, 1887, LOUISA LYMAN, wife of the late Thomas J. Walker, in her 78th year.  (RCNov18/1887)

ROBINSON - In Rome, New York, November 17, 1887, DORCAS, wife of Alonzo Robinson, aged 56 years.  (RCNov18/1887)

GRIFFITHS - At Floyd, New York, November 15, 1887, at the residence of her sister, Mrs. John R. Girffiths, LAURA, relict of the late Daniel Griffiths, of Utica.  (RCNov18/1887)

JOHNSON - In Marcy, New York, November 13, 1887, at her late residence, ANN, mother of Aaron C. Johnson, aged 91 years.  (RCNov18/1887)

PEGNIN - In Clinton, New York, November 15, 1887, Mrs. MARY PEGNIN, wife of the late Peter Pegnin, aged 41 years.  (RCNov18/1887)  [see also (RCMay20/1887)-PEGNIN]

LAMPHERE - In Whitesboro, New York, November 15, 1887, LOUISA JANE, wife of the late Jerome B. Lamphere, aged 62 years, 6 months and 20 days.  (RCNov18/1887)

BOYLAN - In Rome, New York, November 15, 1887, CATHARINE BOYLAN, aged 74 years.  She died at the home of her son, Thomas Boylan on East Dominick street of pneumonia and heart disease.    (RCNov18/1887)

GINGRASS - Locomotive No. 496, on the Central-Hudson road, exploded at Canajoharie about 6 A.M., Tuesday, (November 15, 1887) killing the fireman, CHARLES GINGRASS, of Albany, and badly injuring the engineer, William Mitchell, who lives in West Albany.  The engine had been run from Rome to Canajoharie without taking water, and the boiler had become dry and overheated, and when water had been let into the tank the engineer opened the throttle to start the train on its way, the boiler burst.  Gingrass was hurled 125 feet through space against a mass of rocks and instantly killed.  Mitchell was thrown about fifty feet, and landed on the bank of the Mohawk, badly bruised and cut.  He remained delirious long after the accident.  Brakeman R. E. Tompkinson, of Schenectady, was shot high up into the air, but fortunately landed on his feet and escaped with a few slight injuries.  The locomotive was attached to a freight train.  No delay to travel was caused.  Gingrass leaves a widow and several children.  (RCNov18/1887)

DUNHAM - Lee Center, New York.  George Dunham has returned from Colorado, having been called home on account of the serious illness of his child.  It was alive last evening, but no hope is entertained of its recovery.  (RCNov18/1887)  [in next week's paper the following:]
               The funeral of George Dunham's child, NINA, was held at the M.E. church on Sunday (November 20, 1887).   (RCNov25/1887)

CORNISH - Mrs. STEPHEN CORNISH, better known as Aunt Milla, one of the oldest ladies of Lee Center, New York, died at the residence of her son, A. A. Cornish, in Cazenovia on November 5, 1887.  She and Mr. Cornish were married in Lee in 1812, and lived together in this town until Mr. Cornish's death about eight years ago, when Aunt Milla took up her residence with her son Albert.  About one year ago Albert settled in Cazenovia, and the mother went with him.  She leaves several sons and daughters, and a wide circle of friends in Lee.  (RCNov18/1887)

HALL - Lee Center, New York.  Mrs. IRA  HALL, living between Stokes and West Branch, died suddenly on Friday (November 11, 1887) morning.  She was a very amiable lady.  She leaves a husband and several children to mourn.  The funeral was attended at her late residence.  Rev. Mr. Jones, pastor of the Friends' church at West Branch officiated.  (RCNov18/1887)

FITZGERALD - THOMAS FITZGERALD, aged 21, son of John Fitzgerald, of Little Falls, New York, entered upon his first railroad experience on Wednesday (November 9, 1887) night of last week as a brakeman on a New York Central freight train.  Early Friday (November 11, 1887) morning he met his death suddenly and terribly.  As the train was passing through Greenway, just west of this city, (Rome, NY) he started from the engine for the rear of the train, walking on top of the cars.  Near Greenway a highway bridge, commonly called the Wheeler bridge, crosses the railroad, and as the train was proceeding under it, the head of young Fitzgerald, who was unaquainted with the locality, came in contact with the structure with such force as to crush the back of his skull and break his neck.  He fell forward on the car dead, but did not roll off.  Some of the train crew saw the accident, and the body was cared for and brought to this city (Rome, NY).  Coroner Millington, upon being summoned, impanelled a jury and held an inquest.  Several witnesses were sworn, including the train hands.  The jury reached the following verdict:
     That Thomas Fitzgerald came to his death on the 11th day of November, 1887, between the hours of 5 and 6 o'clock A. M., at Greenway, N.Y., at the Wheeler bridge by being struck by said bridge while standing on an Armour refrigerator car of a freight train, on the N.Y.C. & H. R.R.R., said death being accidental.  (RCNov18/1887)

LEWIS - Rev. WILLIAM LEWIS, of Vernon, New York, father of Coroner-elect Dr. G. M. Lewis, committed suicide last Sunday (November 13, 1887) morning by cutting his throat with a razor.  He was found in the barn.  His son and daughter-in-law, with whom he resided, had gone to church, leaving the old man alone.  Up to about two years ago he had resided in Verona, but the condition of his mind became such that his son deemed it advisable to remove him to his own home in Vernon, where he could more easily attend him personally.  Defects in his mind became apparent years ago, and because of it he was compelled to give up preaching.  Tuesday Coroner Jones, of Utica, summoned a jury and held an inquest.  The verdict rendered was to the effect that the deceased came to his death by his own hand while suffering under mental aberration.  (RCNov18/1887)

BOLTON - Mrs. MARY BOLTON died at the home of her mother on Ridge street last Sunday. (November 13, 1887)       (RCNov18/1887)

LOYD - Rome, New York.  Mr. and Mrs. J. Loyd Jones mourn the loss of their infant daughter which died last Sunday. (November 13, 1887)        (RCNov18/1887)

MORRISON - Mrs. K. MORRISON, a sister of James Kendrick of Rome, New York, died at that gentleman's residence Wednesday (November 16, 1887) evening, at age 53 years.  (RCNov18/1887)

THORP - BERDELL THORP, six year old daughter of J. E. Thorp, of Buffalo, New York, died of diptheria at her father's home on Tuesday (November 15, 1887). The remains were brought to Rome for interment.  (RCNov18/1887)

SCHUSTER - ANDREW SCHUSTER died at his home on Lawrence street, Rome, New York, Tuesday (November 15, 1887) aged 58 years.  His disease was stomach difficulty.  (RCNov18/1887)

ROWLAND - In Tuscumbia, Alabama, Mrs. SARA ROWLAND, grandmother of H. J. and E. A. Rowland and Mrs. G. W. Wells of Rome, New York.  She was 93 years old.  (RCNov18/1887)

WELCH - TIMOTHY L. WELCH, formerly of Rome, New York, died in Cascada, Colorado on November 10, 1887.  Besides a wife and daughter he leaves two sisters -- Mrs. Patrick Dee of Rome, NY and Mrs. C. Cronin of Florence, NY.   (RCNov18/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, November 25, 1887

LAUPHIEMER - In Rome, New York, November 20, 1887, MARY C., wife of Jacob Laupheimer, aged 47 years.  (RCNov25/1887)

WIGGINS - In Western, New York, November 19, 1887, Miss NANCY WIGGINS, aged 88 years.  She died at her residence about two miles south of this village, at one o'clock on Saturday morning, of heart disease.  The deceased had been in feeble health for some time, but she retired the evening previous feeling unusually well.  A short time before her death she called to her maid, who went to her assistance, but she expired before medical aid could reach her.  She was the daughter of the late Jocob Wiggins, a soldier of the revolution, and one of the pioneer settlers of this town of Western.  She was born on the farm where she died, and had lived there all her life time.  She leaves one brother, George Wiggins, who resided with her, and one sister, Mrs. Bradley, of Perry, Genesee county, this state.  The funeral services took place to-day (November 23, 1887) at 11 A.M.  (RCNov25/1887)

HEALT - In Rome, New York, November 17, 1887, Miss ABBIE E. HEALT, aged 79 years and for 74 years of that time a resident of Rome, died at her residence on George street.  A few days prior to her demise she suffered a paralytic shock and on the morning of the day of her death she was stricken with apoplexy.  She was a member of the Baptist church and a consistent Christian.    (RCNov25/1887)

SWEET - In Utica, New York, November 20, 1887, JONATHAN SWEET, formerly of Marcy, New York, in the 83d year of his age.  (RCNov25/1887)

WESTCOTT - In Utica, New York, November 21, 1887, WILLIAM BENEDICT WESTCOTT, in the 40th year of his age.  (RCNov25/1887)

TAYLOR - In Clinton, New York, November 22, 1887, ALFRED S. TAYLOR, aged 69 years.  (RCNov25/1887)

VAN DRESAR - In Western, New York, November 16, 1887, LEVI VAN DRESAR, aged 16 and a half months, son of Steward and Cornelia Van Dresar.  (RCNov25/1887)

PERRY - At New London, New York, November 22, 1887, Mrs. THOMAS PERRY died of consumption, she leaves an aged and decrepit husband and 4 children -- 3 sons and a daughter.  (RCNov25/1887)
     [another article in same paper follows:]
               Mrs. Lydia Perry, wife of Thomas Perry of Churchville, in the town of Verona, and mother of T. W. and F. J. Perry of Rome, New York, died at her home Tuesday (November 22, 1887) morning, aged 79 years.  Pneumonia was the immediate cause of her death.  She was ill but a few days.  Born in the town of Vienna, her entire life was spent in that town and Verona.  Deceased was a warm hearted Christian of the Baptist faith, and the possessor of many excellent qualities that endeared her to all.  Besides the husband and two sons named above, another son and daughter are left -- O. (or Q?) A. Perry, of Ithaca, and Mrs. Charles Maxham, of Brookfield, Madison county.  (RCNov25/1887)

BURROWS - Mrs. GRACE BURROWS, an old resident of this place died at her home near Taberg, New York, on Wednesday (November 23, 1887) morning, aged 92 years.  Mrs. Adeline Wood, a sister of Mrs. Burrows, is dangerously ill at the home of her son, Nelson Wood.  (RCNov25/1887)

DEAN - At his house in Buffalo, New York, last Tuesday (November 22, 1887) evening, occurred the death of BRADFORD C. DEAN, at the age of 71 years.  Mr. Dean was born in Whitestown, Oneida county, and in 1840 came to Rome, New York, where he was engaged in the building business till 1856 when he removed to Suspension Bridge, and afterwards to Niagara Falls, and then to Buffalo, where he has resided for the past fifteen years.  During his residence in Rome he was associated with Woodman Kimball and the late Hon. John J. Parry in the building interest.  While here he married Miss Hannah Tripp, a sister of Mrs. Margaret Williams.  The remains will be brought to this city (Rome, NY) to-day, and the funeral services will occur this afternoon in the Presbyterian church.  (RCNov25/1887)

Another Germond Burglar Dies.
     The following dispatch shows how TOM SCOTT, one of the seven masked burglars who entered the house of Peter Germond, in New Hartford, New York, in 1875, met his death:
     Cleveland, Ohio, November 21, 1887 -- Early this morning two policemen in the southern part of the city discovered three suspicious characters and gave them chase.  The strangers while running shot at the policement, who returned the fire.  One of the trio received a bullet in the back, and died shortly afterward.  This afternoon he was recognized as Tom Scott, an all-around crook, known in all large cities.  It is said that he was recently discharged from Sing Sing, where he served under one of his many aliases.  In his pocket a key was found that unlocked the door of a bank near by.  It is thought that he and his companions had intended to rob the bank.
     This is the third of that gang who has gone to his last resting place.  The other two are BILLY CONROY and GEORGE ELLIS.  The allusion in the dispatch to Sing Sing is erroneous, as Scott was sentenced to Auburn prison for 18 years by Hon. William B. Bliss, then judge of Oneida county.  Through good behavior he was enabled to shorten his term considerably, thus his recent discharge.  Scott was a professional burglar, and prior to 1875 he was connected with some of the most noted bank robberies of the State.  Previous to his last incarceration he was not unacquainted with prison walls, having served a term in Joliet prison in Illinois.  (RCNov25/1887)

TUTTLE - JAMES B. TUTTLE, a brother of Salmon Tuttle, of New London, New York, died recently at his home in Julesburg, Colorado.  Deceased formerly resided in Camden, Oneida county, New York.  (RCNov25/1887)

LANE - Mrs. F. D. LANE, of St. Louis, Michigan, mother of Mrs. W. G. Howland, formerly of Rome, New York, died suddenly at her home November 10, 1887.   (RCNov25/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, December 2, 1887

SCHALL - In Vernon, New York, November 27, 1887, Mrs. ELIZABETH SCHALL, aged 75 years, 2 months and 4 days.  (RCDec02/1887)

BOURS - Entered into rest November 23, 1887, at Winter Park, Florida, Mrs. KATE BOURS-DAVIDS, daughter of the late Rev. W. W. and Mary I Bours, aged 31 years.  (RCDec02/1887)

DEMING - In Utica, New York, November 27, 1887, LAURA, wife of Daniel Deming, in her 20th year.  (RCDec02/1887)

PEARL - In Clinton, New York, Saturday, November 26, 1887, RALPH PEARL, aged 63 years, 8 months and 19 days.  He was born in Westmoreland, but removed to Clinton at the age of 20, and resided there until his death.  He was a gentleman highly respected by his fellow townsmen.  Besides his wife, a son and four daughters survive.  Rev. G. W. Raeburn, of Rome, NY, conducted the funeral services.    (RCDec02/1887)

CONDON - In Rome, New York, Monday, November 28, 1887, JOHN CONDON, aged 76 years, 5 months and 4 days.  He was born in Ireland and emigrated to this country and settled in the town of Lee.  Nineteen years ago he came to Rome, and has since resided here.  He died at his residence on Thomas street.  He leaves several children to mourn.  (RCDec02/1887)

RUTHERFORD - In Omaha, Nebraska, November 28, 1887, Dr. WILLIAM G. RUTHERFORD, second son of Caroline and the late William Rutherford, of Utica.  (RCDec02/1887)

JOSLYN - In North Western, New York, November 30, 1887, ANSEL JOSLYN, aged 79 years.  (RCDec02/1887)

DAY - In Clark's Mills, New York, November 26, 1887, ELIZA DAY, in her 85th year.  (RCDec02/1887)

VICKERY - At South Hamilton, New York, November 21, 1887, SAMUEL VICKERY (formerly of Sauquoit) aged 84 years, 7 months and 6 days.  (RCDec02/1887)

WISSLER - He Engraved Confederate Money.
            Philadelphia, November 27, 1887 -- JACQUES WISSLER, who engraved nearly all the plates from which the money and bonds of the Confederate States of America were printed, died Friday  night, at his home in Camden, N.J., aged 84.  He was born in Strasburg, in 1803.  He came to this country in 1849, and was employed by a well known lithographing firm.  He remained with them until just before the breaking out of the war, when he was engaged by a New York firm of lithographers.  They at once dispatched him to Richmond, telling him that there he would be instructed as to his work.  Within a few days after his arrival Fort Sumter was fired on and he found himself in the whirlpool of the great conflict.  Mr. Wissler was informed that he was assigned to the work of creating the paper money and bonds of the new confederacy, and although his sympathies were with the north he found himself virtually a prisoner at the rebel capital and made the best of it.  He acquired a snug fortune while making money for the confederacy; but they grew suspicious of him towards the close of the war and confiscated his estate.  After the cessation of hostilities he purchased a farm near Macon, Miss., and resided there for several years, finally coming to Camden.  (RCDec02/1887)

COURTS - Taberg, New York.  Miss VIOLA COURTS, daughter of Peter Courts, Esq., died last week of consumption.  She was 16 years of age.  Friends and neighbors sympathize with the family in their affliction.  (RCDec02/1887)

BUSBRIDGE - HENRY R. BUSBRIDGE, who for the past twelve or thirteen years has been in the employ of Mrs. Wolcott B. White of this city (Rome, NY), died at the residence of William R. Farrier, on Kossuth street, last Friday (November 25, 1887) night.  For some time he had suffered with paralysis, and this, together with a giving away of the system, caused his death.  He was born near London, England, and was in his 77th year.  His nearest relatives in this country are a nephew and two nieces -- John Hook, Mrs. R. Farrier and Mrs. A. Farrier, of Rome, New York.  The deceased was universally respected by all who knew him.  (RCDec02/1887)

COPPERSMITH - Rome, New York.  JOHN, the 5-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Coppersmith, died on Tuesday. (November 29, 1887)      (RCDec02/1887)

BURROWS - Mrs. W. D. Peckham has been called to Charlotte, New York, by the death of her sister-in-law, Mrs. KIRK BURROWS.   (RCDec02/1887)

BARTH - About two months ago, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Barth came to this city (Rome, New York) from Ilion,  Mr. Barth having secured a position in the Locomotive Works.  On Sunday (November 27, 1887) Mrs. BARTH died of membraneous croup, after an illness of only nine days.  Her age was 31 years.  Deceased was a daughter of Christopher Hubbard of Constableville, Lewis county.  (RCDec02/1887)

RONEY - Rev. DANIEL W. RONEY died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. E. B. Jones, in Utica, New York, on November 24, 1887.  His age was 76 years.  In 1848 he joined the old Black River M. E. conference, and was a faithful worker in the cause of Christ.  Many of the older residents of Rome have pleasant recollections of him.  (RCDec02/1887)

KESSINGER - Rome, New York.  ERNEST KESSINGER died at his residence on Mill street last Saturday (November 27, 1887) forenoon, aged 77 years.  Old age, together with asthmatic affection, was the cause of his death.  He was born in Germany, and in 1852 emigrated to this country with his family, and settled in Rome, where he has since lived.  He was the father of A. C. Kessinger, at whose residence his funeral took place Monday afternoon.  (RCDec02/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, December 9, 1887

NEAR - In Rome, New York, on Saturday, December 3, 1887, Mrs ADAM NEAR, aged 67 years.  Mrs. Jacob Githler, a grand-daughter attended the funeral.   (RCDec09/1887)  [see also (RCDec23/1887)-NEAR]

BURT - Syracuse, New York, December 3, 1887, Hon. OLIVER T. BURT, son of the founder of Syracuse and a prominent citizen and businessman, shot and killed himself at 3 o'clock this afternoon in the bath room of his son-in-law, Irving Dunlap.  When Mr. Dunlap entered the bath room, he found the dead body of Mr. Burt lying on the floor.  In his hand was a small bull dog revolver, the bullet of which had passed through his head and out through the window.  Mr. Burt had suffered from despondency for some time past, and made his arrangements to go to the Geneva water cure this afternoon for the benefit of his health.  He entered his son-in-law's residence at about 2 P.M., and unbeknown to the inmates, retired to the bath room and shot himself.  His body was not discovered until an hour after the deed had been committed.  Mr. Burt was 65 years of age, and for many years was one of the most prominent business men of Syracuse.  He was president of the Central City bank and the Lake Ontario steamboat company, and was engaged in many business enterprises in New York city and Connecticut.  His son, Dr. Stephen Burt, is a successful practitioner in New York city.  (RCDec09/1887)

LUSK - HENRY LUSK, an old resident of New Hartford, New York, died suddenly yesterday while sitting in his carriage in front of the post office in that place.  Heart disease was the probable cause.  (RCDec09/1887)

WASHBURN - Miss BELLE WASHBURN, of Lowville, Lewis county, New York, died at the residence of Ezekiel Speidel in Rome, New York, Tuesday (December 6, 1887) morning.  About three weeks ago she came here to visit the Misses Speidel, but soon fell ill with a fever, which developed into congestion of the lungs.  She was 17 years of age, and a very estimable young lady.  Deceased was an orphan, and she resided with her uncle, Edward Woodward, of Lowville.  She leaves two younger brothers, who reside with another uncle at Philadelphia, Jefferson county, whither the remains were taken for interment.  (RCDec09/1887)

MARVIN - LA GRAND MARVIN, who died in Buffalo, New York, on December 2, 1887, was born in Clinton, Oneida county, November 10, 1807.  He lived at home until his graduation from Hamilton College in 1828, when he went to Maryland and taught school until 1830.  He then went to Buffalo and studied law, becoming one of the leading lawyers of that city, where he resided until his death.  (RCDec09/1887)

MORIARTY - Rev. JAMES MORIARTY, D. D., pastor of St. John's Roman Catholic church in Utica, New York, died last Sunday, (December 4, 1887) aged 44 years.  He was ill but a short time.  Dr. Moriarty was born in Ireland, but came to this country with his parents when three years of age.  He was one of the ablest Catholic clergymen in the State.  (RCDec09/1887)

REILLY - Late yesterday afternoon while JOHN REILLY, a workman in the Clinton mines, was engaged in shoring up the ceiling of the mine, a large mass of slate weighing several tons suddenly fell and caught him, breaking one leg in two places,  smashing one finger and splitting his head open in a terrible manner.  His injuries may prove fatal.  (RCDec09/1887)

BEMIS - About 2 P.M. last Saturday (December 3, 1887), J. L. BEMIS, of Greenfield, Mass., died while sitting in his chair in the Arlington hotel office, in this city. (Rome, NY). He stopped at the Arlington Thursday night while on his way to Adams, Jefferson county, to visit his sister, and not feeling well, concluded to stay over till Monday.  He was a hunchback, short in stature, and badly afflicted with asthma; so badly, in fact, that he was compelled to sleep in his chair.  Asthema and dropsy are ascribed as the cause of his death.  A few moments before his death, Landlord Buell noticed that he was breathing heavily, and a short time afterward upon going to him found that he was dead.  He died so quietly that a gentleman writing a short distance from him did not know death was so near until Mr. Buell made the discovery.
     On Monday the remains were forwarded to Adams, where they were cared for by relatives.  (RCDec09/1887)

AYLIFFE - Mrs. ESTHER LANPHEAR AYLIFFE, daughter of the late Joshua Lanphear of this city, (Rome, NY) died at the home of her niece, Mrs. George W. Zeigler, at Wilkes-Barre, Pa., Sunday, December 4, 1887.  Deceased was born in this town, but went to California while young, and was there married.  Her husband died some twenty-five years ago, when she returned to this city, and, her resided until she went to live with her niece in Pennsylvania, five or six years ago.  Mrs. Ayliffe was a lady much beloved by those who knew her personally.  She was a sister of John Lanphear, of Stanwix, Arba Lanphear, who lives on the old homestead, Alanson Lanphear, of Bartlett, and Daniel Lanphear, of California, and Mrs. Sanford Adams, Sr., of this city.  Mrs. Palmer Lanphear, of Rome, is a sister-in-law of the deceased.  Her age was 67 years.  The funeral occurred at Wilkes-Barre on Wednesday, and Mrs. Adams and Miss Anna Lanphear, daughter of Mrs. Palmer Lanphear, of this city, were in attendance.  (RCDec09/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, December 16, 1887

DOORHAMER - In Sauquoit, New York, December 11, 1887, AGNES, wife of George Doorhamer, Sr., aged 65 years.  (RCDec16/1887)

SMALLENBERGER - In Deerfield, New York, December 10, 1887, ALBERT SMALLENBERGER, aged 12 years, 8 months and 24 days.  (RCDec16/1887)

LOCKWOOD - At the home of her daughter, Mrs. L. N. Benedict, on North Madison street in Rome, New York, Sunday, December 11, 1887, Mrs. LUCINDA LOCKWOOD, aged 69 years, of Red Creek, Wayne county.  Heart difficulty, combined with other ailments was the cause of her death.  She was ill about four weeks.  She leaves seven children, two of whom reside in this city (Rome, NY) -- Mrs. Benedict and Miss Samantha Lockwood.  The funeral occurred on Tuesday (December 13, 1887), at the residence of Mr. Benedict.  The remains were taken to Victory, New York, for interment.    (RCDec16/1887)

STRYKER - At Fortress Monroe, Virginia, JOHN STRYKER, eldest son of the late John Stryker, of Rome, New York, aged 47 years.  (RCDec16/1887)  [another article in same paper follows]
          News was received in this city (Rome, NY) Monday, announcing the death of Captain John Stryker at the National Soldiers' Home, near Fortress Monroe, Virginia.  For several years past Captain Stryker had been a great sufferer from rheumatism, and he found it necessary to locate in the south for the benefit of his health.  He was the eldest son of the late Hon. John Stryker, of this city, and was born, reared and educated here.  Before the war he occupied the position of clerk in the Bank of Rome, but when the first gun was fired upon Fort Sumter it likewise fired his patriotism, and in response to the first call for troops he enlisted in the 14th regiment, joining Company G, which was raised here by the late Captain Charles H. Skillin.  Mr. Stryker was was made second lieutenant of the company.  After the regiment reached Virginia, Captain Skillin and First Lieutenant Walsworth (a son of Jesse Walsworth of this city) both resigned, and Mr. Stryker was promoted -- first to the first lieutenant and then to captain, which position he held till the close of the war.  At Malvern Hill Captain Stryker was wounded in the wrist by a mine ball, we believe, was the only wound he received during the gallant service he rendered his country. Chief of Police Byrnes, of this city, who was a member of the 14th regiment, speaks very highly of Captain Stryker as a soldier and officer.  He was universally esteemed by his comrades in arms.  At the close of the war he went to Colorado and New Mexico to look after mining and landed interests for his father.  Captain Stryker made his last visit among his friends in this city during the past fall, returning to Virginia about the first of November.
     The deceased leaves his mother, Mrs. John Stryker, one brother and three sisters, Thomas H. and Miss Phebe Stryker, of Rome, Mrs. Edward H. Butler, of Detroit, Michigan, and Mrs. E. Bayard Smith, of Troy.  Mrs. Stryker and Miss Phebe Stryker are spending the winter in France.
     The remains of the deceased arrived in this city yesterday morning, and the funeral will take place at Zion church at 2 P.M. to-day.  (RCDec16/1887)

PARKER - AHARD L. PARKER, a lifelong resident of this city (Rome, NY), died at his home on South James street Tuesday (December 13, 1887) evening, of consumption, aged 34 years.  For many years he was employed as heater in the Merchant-Iron Mill, and always enjoyed the respect and esteem of his employers and fellow workmen.  A wife and four children, the eldest only eight years of age, are left to mourn.  Besides them, his parents and three brothers survive, all of whom reside in this city.  (RCDec16/1887)

HAHN - CONRAD HAHN, a mason, met with a terrible and painful accident at the Globe Woolen Mills in Utica New York last Saturday (December 10, 1887).  He was at work on the elevator, when some one started the car, and his foot was caught between it and the side of the shaft.  The elevator ran to the top of the building, and Mr. Hahn's foot was literally torn off, hanging only by a few cords.  The foot and about four inches of the leg were amputated.  Mr. Hahn, who was about 62 years of age has since died.  (RCDec16/1887)

DAVIS - Mrs. MARY ELLA DAVIS, wife of J. W. Davis, died in Clifford, Pa., yesterday morning.  She was a daughter of William H. Williams, of Camroden.  Deceased was born in Rome, New York, where she resided until about eight years ago, when she was married and removed to Pennsylvania.  Her age was 34 years, and her death was caused by consumption, with which she had suffered for about a year.  The remains are expected to arrive in this city (Rome, NY) to-day, when they will be conveyed to Mr. Williams' residence in Camroden, where the funeral will occur at 11 A. M. to-morrow.  (RCDec16/1887)

GROSSMANN - Mrs. Rachael Grossmann, of Utica, New York, while in a fit of insanity Monday (December 12, 1887) morning threw a young child of her brother-in-law Daniel Grossmann, into a privy vault.  Her act was noticed by the neighbors, who succeeded in rescuing the child uninjured.  Mrs. Grossmann then went into the house and threw a dipper of boiling water over another child of her brother-in-law, scalding it so badly that it died the same evening.  The insane woman has been committed to the county asylum.  (RCDec16/1887)

SALSBURY - News was received in this city (Rome, NY) yesterday of the death of Rev. SAMUEL SALSBURY, at Constantia, Oswego county.  Deceased was a brother of M. F. Salsbury, of this city, and had been in the Methodist Episcopal ministry for over thirty years.  At one time he was located on the Delta and Steuben charge, in this county.  His death was caused by bronchial and heart difficulty.  Besides the brother alluded to, he leaves a wife and one brother and sister, Emory Salsbury and Mrs. H. H. Brower, of Brooklyn.  His age was sixty-five years.  (RCDec16/1887)

ZORN - THERESA ZORN, a child of six years, died of strangulation at the Utica orphan asylum last Friday. (December 9, 1887).  She swallowed a shoe button, which lodged in her windpipe, and before a physician could reach her she had expired.  She was the daughter of Frederick Zorn, of this city (Rome, NY).  This adds one more affliction to this sadly afflicted man.  About a year ago his fifteen-year-old daughter, Lena, fell into the canal at Canastota and was drowned.  In February last his wife died, leaving him three small children.  A short time ago he felt compelled to place the two youngest in the orphan asylum.  Truly his cup of sorrow is running over.  The remains of the little girl were brought to this city Saturday, and the funeral was held on Sunday.  (RCDec16/1887)

SMITH - New York city, New York, December 14, 1887.  General THOMAS KILBY SMITH, a well known Philadelphian, and a distinguished soldier in the war of the rebellion, died here this morning.  He had been living with his family in retirement at Torresdale, a suberb of Philadelphia, for a number of years, but has been in New York for some time in connection with the General Grant fund.  He was a strong personal friend and a great admirer of Grant, and was chief of the dead hero's staff at the close of the war.  His illness was of short duration, and his death was very unexpected.  He was born in Boston in 1821.  (RCDec16/1887)

ASTOR - Mrs. JOHN JACOB ASTOR died Monday (December 12, 1887) evening at 8:05 o'clock, at her home in New York city.  There were present at the time of death Mr. W. W. Astor and wife and Mr. John Jacob Astor, husband of the deceased.  Mrs. Astor has been ill since her return from Newport in the autumn.  She was sixty-one years old.  Among the organized charities in which Mrs. Astor was interested was the recently opened cancer hospital, to which she contributed $225,000.
     Mrs. Astor was born in New York city about sixty-one years ago and was Miss Charlotte Augusta Gibbs.  She received a good education and was quite accomplished.  On becoming Mr. Astor's wife she was enabled to hold a foremost position in the exclusive society of old New Yorkers.  With her husband she became a prominent member of Trinity church.  She took a great interest in church work, and no one in New York is more beloved for her benefactions and charitable actions.  She is never known to have refused assistance to worthy persons in distress, and many will have cause to mourn the loss of a good friend and benefactor.  Kind as an employer, she has been able to keep domestics around her for about thirty years, and some of them regard her with almost filial affection.  She has been a lover of art, as her home fully attests.  Her son, Hon. William Waldorf Astor, who with his wife was at her bedside during the night, has been in the legislature, and was also minister to Italy.  Mr. William Astor, her brother-in-law, is on the ocean enroute to Europe.  (RCDec16/1887)

RILEY - On Saturday, (December 10, 1887) as Captain RILEY, who hails from Philadelphia, was going along the trestle to report to Mr. Kirby at South Amboy, superintendent of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company's towing line of steam tugs, he fell through a man trap dead fall, striking on the bottom of an empty coal bin 30 feet below, breaking him up badly.  He fell at six o'clock in the evening and never spoke again, but lay for three hours gasping out his life, dying at nine o'clock.  He leaves a wife and five children to mourn their loss.  (RCDec16/1887)

SAVERY - Mrs. MARTHA C. SAVERY died at her home near Lee Line, New York, on Friday (December 9, 1887) last, aged 69 years.  (RCDec16/1887)

WOOD - Lee Center, New York.  Mrs. EVELINE WOOD, who died recently, was 87 years of age.  Her funeral occurred last Thursday (December 8, 1887) at the residence of her son, Nelson Wood. (RCDec16/1887)

ENOS - Vernon, New York.  CHARLES ENOS, for many years a respected resident of this town, died at his home Tuesday (December 13, 1887) afternoon, after a lingering illness, aged 56 years.  The deceased leaves his wife and two children.  The funeral occurred at his late residence December 15th.    (RCDec16/1887)

LAWTON - Verona, New York.  ALFRED R. LAWTON, died at his residence on December 9, 1887, after a long and painful illness, aged 78 years.  The funeral occurred Sunday (December 11, 1887), Rev. W. C. Taylor officiating assisted by Rev. W. S. Titus.  (RCDec16/1887)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, December 23, 1887

HARBOLD - In Vernon, New York, December 22, 1887, WILLIAM HARBOLD, aged 25 years.  (RCDec23/1887)

WAITE - In Rome, New York, December 22, 1887, JANE, wife of William Waite, aged 44 years.  (RCDec23/1887)

NEAR - At the home of his daughter, Mrs. Phillip Schreier, on Liberty street in Rome, New York, Sunday, December 18, 1887, ADAM NEAR, aged 86 years.  He came from Germany in 1853 and settled in Rome, New York, where he has since resided.  Eight children survive him, three of whom reside in Rome -- Henry Near, Mrs. Schreier and Miss Carrie Near.   (RCDec23/1887)  [see also (RCDec09/1887)-NEAR]

GIFFORD - In Oriskany, New York, December 17, 1887, SAMUEL GIFFORD, aged 87 years, 8 months and 3 days.  (RCDec23/1887)

PECK - At Marshall, New York, Friday morning, December 16, 1887, GEORGE B. PECK, aged 80 years and one month.  He was the last of the pioneer stock of the town of Marshall.  (RCDec23/1887)

LEWIS - At Washington Mills, New York, December 17, 1887, CORA E., daughter of William D. and Emma E. Lewis, aged 6 years, 11 months and 7 days.  (RCDec23/1887)  [another article in the same paper follows:]
     School Commissioner William D. Lewis, of Washington Mills, is sadly afflicted by the death of his only daughter.  She was a bright and beautiful little child of six, and the light of his household.  Her death was caused by cerebro spinal meningitis.  Mr. Lewis and the sorrowing mother have the sympathy of many friends in this their severe bereavement.  (RCDec23/1887)

PURDY - In Whitesboro, New York, December 20, 1887, SILAS PURDY, aged 68 years.  Mr. Purdy was for 43 years a ticket agent at Whitesboro, for the New York Central railroad.  He died of blood poisoning.  He was born in the town of Whitestown in 1818, and had always resided there.  He is said to have served longer continuously than any other employe on the road.  He was a member of the Episcopal church, but in later years he attended the Presbyterian services frequently with his wife.  He was a member of Utica lodge, No. 47, F. and A. M.  Mr. Purdy was highly respected in the community in which he lived, and had been a trustee of the village.  He was a strong temperance man and was for many years a valued member of the lodge of Good Templars in Whitestown.  A wife and two sons survive him.  One of his sons, H. H. Purdy, is a freight agent for the New York Central in this city, and the other son, Samuel, is a fireman on the same road, having been for some time on the same engine with Railroad Commissioner Ricard.  W. C. Purdy, of this city (Rome, NY) is a brother of deceased. (RCDec23/1887)

THOMAS - In Rome, New York, December 17, 1887, NEWELL FOOTE THOMAS, aged 83 years, 10 months and 5 days.  [the age given is suspect to me, as later in the article he is described as a "popular young business man" -transcriber]  In August last Newell F. Thomas, cashier of the First National Bank of this city, became aware that a serious disease was fastening upon him, but he continued to transact business till about the first of November, when he was compelled to leave his desk, and returned to it but few times up to about three weeks ago, when he found it necessary to take to his bed.  He grew worst rapidly, and on Friday night last suffered a severe hemmorhage of the bowels, which reduced his system beyond endurance, and he died early Saturday evening at the residence of his father-in-law, A. Sandford of Washington street.
     The deceased was one our most popular young business men.  He was the son of the late James S. Thomas, of Brockport, and a nephew of Francis H. Thomas of this city.  When Newell was six years of age, his mother died, and he became a member of Dr. T. M. Flandrau's family.  Mrs. Flandrau being a sister of his mother, and at that time residing in Brockport.  In 1862 Dr. Flandrau removed with his family to this city, bringing Newell with them.  He remained with Dr. Flandrau until his marriage with Miss Helen R. Sandford in 1880.  James S. Thomas, father of the deceased, removed here in 1863, remained a resident of this city until the time of his death, which occurred in St. Louis, Mo., where he was visiting in 1877.
     Newell received his eduction at the public school of this city.  His first business experience was in the hardware store of Wardwell Bros.  He afterward joined a party of engineers who were engaged in surveying a route for a proposed North Shore Railroad from this city to Ballston Springs, Saratoga county.  In 1871 he entered the First National Bank, of which his uncle, Francis H. Thomas, was cashier.  His first position was discount clerk and he was gradually promoted till he reached the tellership in 1874.  He remained in this position till January 1, 1887, when he was made cashier, which position he held at the time of his death.
     The Thomas family seems to have been especially adapted to the banking business.  James S. Thomas, father of the deceased, was cashier of the Bank of Whitestown in this county previous to his removal to Brockport.  At the latter place he was made president of the Brockport Exchange Bank, which position he held until 1861, when the bank discontinued business.  George R. Thomas, an uncle, was cashier of the Second National Bank of Utica for many years until his death a few months ago.  Francis H. Thomas, another uncle, was cashier of the First National Bank of this city for many years, and on January last relinquished that position to Newell, and was himself made president of the institution.
     A bright future was opening up before the deceased, when the fell destroyer claimed him.  A beautiful residence nearly completed on North Washington street, was to have been occupied by him and his family at the opening of the new year.
    Newell F. Thomas was the possessor of a nature that made all who met him his friends.  Faithful to every trust  reposed in him, he gained and held the confidence of the business community.  He was a communicant of Zion church, and at one time sang tanor in the church choir.  He was a member of Independent Hose Company, No. 1, and had been since its organization.
     Besides his wife and three small children, the deceased leaves two brothers -- James S. Thomas, of Jackson, Miss., and George F. Thomas, of Chicago, Ill., all of whom are assured of the sympathy of the community.
     The funeral occurred at the residence of A. Sandford at 1 P.M. Tuesday.  The services were conducted by Rev. Dr. Egar, rector of Zion church, assisted by Rev. T. B. Shepherd, pastor of the First M. E. church.  The attendance was very large.  The interment took place at Rome cemetery.  The pall bearers were:  T. H. Stryker, E. B. Nelson, Howard E. Ketcham, Edward Cummings, J. S. Wardwell and E. Stuart Williams.  (RCDec23/1887)  [see also (RCFeb10/1888)-THOMAS]

SACHS - ALEXANDER SACHS, aged 11, who had a tooth drawn at New York city, bled to death.  There was an abcess at the root of the tooth.  (RCDec23/1887)

UTLEY - Lee Center news item of Dec. 22:  I have just learned of the sudden death of Mrs. CHARLES UTLEY, of the Valley.  The entire community extends to the bereaved husband its heartfelt sympathy.  (RCDec23/1887)
    [Following in the next week's paper]
          The reported death of Mrs. Charles Utley, of the Valley, was a little premature.  The facts are these:  Mrs. Utley went to Rome, NY, and had a tooth extracted.  On the way home blood began to flow from the cavity, and continued to do so until she arrived home, when Mr. Utley came to this village for Dr. C. E. Fraser, who stopped the bleeding.  During the night it began again, necessitating the calling of the doctor.  On the following day a profuse hemorrhage was stopped by Dr. Millington, of Rome.  Mrs. Utley's life was despaired of for a time, hence the rumor that she was dead.  She is now greatly improved.  (RCDec30/1887)

CURTISS - The funeral of HASTINGS F. CURTISS, son of Mr. and Mrs. H. F. Curtiss, of Camden, occurred in that place Tuesday. (December 20, 1887)  He was nearly 21 years of age, and when able to work had been employed in the First National Bank of Camden, New York.  (RCDec23/1887)

MOORE - SAMUEL MOORE, son of the late Col. R. L. Moore, of Durhamville, New York, died at San Francisco, California recently, from heart disease.  His age was 56 years.  He was one of that city's prominent and prosperous bussiness men.  (RCDec23/1887)

DERRICK - ADAM DERRICK, who was alderman of the second ward of Rome, New York during '84, '85, and '86, died at the Whitesboro house, last Saturday (December 17, 1887) afternoon, of dropsical consumption, with which he had suffered for several months.  He came to this country from Germany forty-three years ago, and took up his residence in New London, New York, where he resided till about eight years ago, when he came to this city, and took possession of the Whitesboro house.  Besides his wife and mother, he leaves one brother and five sisters.  (RCDec23/1887)

DODGE - Last Sunday (December 18, 1887) morning, GEORGE DODGE, aged 60 years, a lifelong resident of Hatch's Corners, a small hamlet soutwest of this city (Rome, New York), made a desperate attempt to kill his wife, and failing in that cut his own throat so badly that he died the following day.  It seems that for some time Mr. Dodge had been subject to nervouness which seemed to affect his brain, and during these spells Mrs. Dodge has exercised great watchfulness lest he should do some damage.  When he arose Sunday morning, he said to his wife that he thought he was going to have another spell.  She advised him to take some fresh air and endeavor to ward it off.  While Mrs. Dodge was dressing herself, her husband entered the room with a razor in his hand and told her that they both must die.  She endeavored to pacify him, but he insisted that their time had come, and made a pass at her with the razor.  Although badly frightened, the plucky woman grappled with her assailant and endeavored to wrest the razor from him.  They both fought fearfully, he doing his best to slash her with the weapon.  He finally succeeded in throwing her to the floor, and as he did so she managed to gain possession of the razor, but cut her hand in doing so.  It seems miraculous that Mrs. Dodge should have come off as well as she did, for her husband was a large and powerful man.  When he saw he had been foiled, he rushed out of the house and ran to the barn.  His wife hastened to the window and called to Samuel Hatch, their nearest neighbor, who responded promptly and followed Mr. Dodge to the barn, where he found him in the act of adjusting a rope about his neck.  By this time Thomas Hatch and other neighbors had arrived on the scene, but before they could interfere the insane man had drawn a shoe knife from his pocket and commenced to slash at his throat, cutting two ugly gashes in each side.  He then fell, apparently bleding to death.  He was carried into the house and Coroner Millington sent for, who soon arrived, accompanied by his father, Dr. S. Millington.  They made an examination, and found the jugular vein, to all appearances, untouched.  The wounds were dressed, and the chances for his recovery seemed favorable.  The injured man was rational and appeared to fully understand his condition.
     His symptoms continued favorable until about 1 P.M. Monday, (December 19, 1887) when the blood suddenly spurted through one of the openings in his neck, and he died in ten minutes.  At the time a young man of the neighborhood was sitting by his bedside, and Mrs. Dodge was in an adjoining room, conversing with Rev. James H. Taylor, of this city, who had called.  The jugular vein, it seems, was pricked by the knife, however, and as the wound became inflamed, the aperture enlarged and allowed the blood to escape.
     Mr. Dodge was born on the homestead where he died.  He succeeded to the business of his father, that of conducting a tannery and shoe shop at the Corners, and for many years carried on a lucrative business, securing a comfortable competence on which to live during his declining years.  He always stood well in the community, and this last act in his life's drama casts a gloom over his friends.  (RCDec23/1887)

CROSS - The trial of Clement Arthur Day for the murder of JOHANNA ROSA CROSS was commenced at the court house in Rome, New York Tuesday, Judge Williams presiding.  (RCDec23/1887) [There is a very extensive article on the start of the trial.  If anyone is related to these two people please e-mail me and I'll send you a photocopy by snail mail -- Barbara Andresen]
        [following is an article in the next weeks' paper about A Gallows With A History:]
           The gallows to be used in the execution of Clement Arthur Day, the Boonville murderer, has something of a history.  It is the property of Oneida county, but the woodwork was put together in Fonda, and the straps were obtained from Syracuse.  The weight belongs to Sheriff Hill of Chenango county.  The gallows was first used in Fonda, when SAM STEINBURG paid the penalty of his crime, and it was afterwards used for an execution in Hamilton county.  McCANN the Chenango county murderer, died upon it as did BUELL of Otsego county and GREENFIELD of Syracuse.  It was on this gallows that WILLIAM HENRY OSTRANDER, the Camden murderer, was executed, and it was last used in Herkimer at the hanging of Mrs. ROXALANNA DRUSE.  (RCDec30/1887)  [see also (RCJun17/1887)-CROSS]

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, December 30, 1887

PUGH - In Remsen, New York, December 28, 1887, GEORGE E. PUGH, aged 37 years and 6 months.  (RCDec30/1887)

SEELEY - In Clinton, New York, December 22, 1887, HARVEY SEELEY, in the 84th year of his age.  (RCDec30/1887)

POTTER - Of Bakerville, Floyd, New York, Thursday, December 22, 1887, CORNELIA B., wife of William Potter, aged 67 years, 8 months and 16 days.  She  was stricken with paralysis July 22, which, with heart disease, caused her death.  She leaves a husband, one own daughter, two step-daughters and a brother.  The funeral was held on Monday, her pastor, Rev. C. H. Wetherbe officiating.  She was very highly esteemed.   (RCDec30/1887)

SCOVILLE - In Camden, New York, December 27, 1887, SEYMOUR SCOVILLE, aged 83? years.  (RCDec30/1887)

McCLENTHAN - At Fish Creek, New York, December 23, 1887, WILLIAM McCLENTHAN, aged 73 years.  (RCDec30/1887)

WATSON - In Osceola, New York, December 24, 1887, Miss HARRIET WATSON, aged 73 years.  (RCDec30/1887)

HARKNESS - Holland Patent, New York.  The young child of Ed. Harkness, of Floyd, was buried yesterday in our cemetery, and Rev. M. E. Grant, of the Presbyterian church, officiated.  (RCDec30/1887)

ANDREWS - NELLIE ANDREWS, aged 21, step-daughter of Hiram McKinstry, a prosperous farmer near Richmond Mills, New York, hanged herself Saturday (December 24, 1887) because her lover, a New York city man, broke off their engagement.  She left a letter stating her heart was broken and giving directions regarding her funeral.  She was heiress to $15,000.  (RCDec30/1887)

WHEELER - ELMER E. WHEELER, a young man 26 years old, was prostrated last Friday (December 23, 1887) with a shock of paralysis, one side being completely useless.  The physcians say there is a bare possibility that he may recover.  He has not yet recovered sufficiently to speak a word, and Mr. N. Metcalf, at whose house he is, has but little hope that he ever will.  (RCDec30/1887)  [notice in the February paper follows:]
               Taberg, New York.  Elmer E. Wheeler who recently suffered a shock of paralysis and had so far recovered as to be able to speak enough to make himself understood, died last Saturday (February 18, 1888).  It was supposed he suffered another shock, which carried him off.  He was only twenty-six years old.  (RCFeb24/1888)

VROMAN - JACOB VROMAN, formerly of Rome, New York, died recently in Rochester, Minn.  Deceased was born in the town of Lee, NY, and resided there until a few years ago, when he went to Minnesota.  He was a brother of John Vroman, of Rome, New York.  The deceased leaves his wife, a son, Eugene Vroman, of Dakota, and two daughters, Mrs. George Spink, of Lee, and Miss Belle Vroman, of Rochester, Minn.  (RCDec30/1887)  [see also (RCFeb04/1887)-VROMAN]

VANDEWALKER - Early Wednesday (December 28, 1887) evening, PETER VANDEWALKER, died at his home on South Washington street in this city. (Rome, NY)  He had been ill for a year with a complication of diseases.  His age was 72 years.  About 14 years ago he came to Rome from Western, and has since resided here.  He was a blacksmith by trade.  Besides a wife he leaves six children, Peter and William Vandewalker, of Western, Garry Vandewalker, of Rome, Mrs. George H. Spink, of Taberg, Mrs. Richard Rowland, of Hillside, and Mrs. Jacob W. Boody, of Steuben; also two brothers, Jacob Vandewalker, of Osceola, and John A. Vandewalker, of Western, and two sisters, Mrs. Amanda Castler, of Osceola, and Mrs. Sarah Fox, of Michigan.  (RCDec30/1887)

BELLOWS - CHESTER BELLOWS, until about 12 years ago a resident of Rome, was hung at Charles City, Iowa, December 16, 1887, for the murder of his niece, ALICE WATERMAN, whose family, it is said, formerly resided in Westmoreland, Oneida county, NY.  The murder was committed July 8, 1886.  The murdered girl was but 16 years of age.  (RCDec30/1887)

BLAKSLEE - Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Blakslee, of Hillburn, Rockland county, mourn the death of their two-year-old son, EDWARD H.  Mrs. Blakslee was formerly Miss Mary Culver, daughter of Mrs. R. P. Culver, for many years a resident of Rome, New York.  (RCDec30/1887)

BENJAMIN - In Rose, Wayne county, New York, December 22, 1887, occurred the death of MARY L., wife of James E. Benjamin, aged about 45 years.  Deceased was a niece of Rufus Keeney of Rome, New York.  She was the daughter of John and Martha Comstock, formerly of Rome, and was born on the old Captain Talcott homstead in Spencer Settlement.  For the past twenty years she had resided at Rose.  Her husband formerly resided in the town of Westmoreland.  Besides the husband, a son and daughter survive.  (RCDec30/1887)

SEIFERT - Rome, New York.  THEO. SEIFERT, who lived alone on South James street, was found dead in his house last evening.  He was lying on the floor by the stove with a great gash in his forehead.  It is thought he must have fallen in a fit the night before, striking his head on the oven door.  A lamp stood on the table with the oil all burned out.  An inquest will be held.  (RCDec30/1887)

VISSCHER - SIMON G. VISSCHER, one of Rome, New York's most respected citizens, died at the residence of his brother-in-law, H. W. Mitchell, in this city, last Saturday. (December 24, 1887)  He had been confined to his bed for about three weeks with lung difficulty, which took the form of pneumonia, thus causing his death.  The deceased came to this city about 26 years ago and soon afterward went into the crockery business, succeeding his brother-in-law, Col. Charles Skillin, who went to the war.  He continued in business here until about nine years ago, when his failing health compelled him to retire.  From that time forward his health continued poor.  Last winter he went to Georgia, with the hope of receiving benefit, but he did not receive the improvement he sought.  About the first of October lung difficulty set in, and all human help proved unavailing.
     Mr. Visscher was born near Tribes Hill, Montgomery county, February 8, 1828.  He received a very liberal education, and was graduated from Union College, Schenectady.  He afterward took a course in the Princeton Theological Seminary, and prepared himself for the Presbyterian ministry.  Owing to throat difficulty, after being licensed to preach, he found that it would not be advisable to follow public speaking as a life work.  He however, did preach quite frequently in the surrounding towns, after taking up his residence in this city.
     Mr. Visscher was a grandson of Col. Frederick Visscher, of revolutionary fame, who was engaged in the battle of Oriskany.  He was therefore well versed in the history of the Mohawk valley, and when the Oneida Historical Society, of which he was an officer, undertook the task of erecting the Oriskany monument, Mr. Visscher aided very materially in soliciting funds therefor and furnishing interesting data for the dedicatory exercises.  He was the possessor of a kindly heart, and all who knew him honored and respected him.  He was an active member of the Presbyterian church of this city, and for the past fifteen years had been one of its elders.
     Mr. Visscher was twice married.  His first wife died many years ago.  His second wife, who was Miss Belle Denio of Rome, died three years ago.  He leaves three children, Isabel and Frank, students at Claverack College, and Theodore, aged ten years.  Four sisters also survive -- Mrs. Houghtaling, of St. Louis, Mo., Mrs. Philip Pruyn and Mrs. H. S. Schell of New York city.
    The funeral of Mr. Visscher occurred Tuesday (December 27, 1887) forenoon at the residence of H. W. Mitchell.  The obsequies were conducted by Rev. James H. Taylor, who spoke very feelingly of the character of the deceased.  D. E. Wager, J. D. Higgins, H. Hannahs and S. F. Tremain acted as pall bearers.  The remains were taken to Amsterdam, New York for interment.  (RCDec30/1887)

Barbara Andresen