Rome Citizen Death Notices in 1888

Thanks to Barbara Andresen for sending this in!

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, January 6, 1888

HENSON - In Rome, New York, January 3, 1888, Mrs. BRIDGET HENSON, aged 50 years.  (RCJan06/1888)

FREDERICKS - At Ridge Mills, New York, Tuesday, January 3, 1888, occurred the sudden death of Mrs. HARRIET FREDERICKS, wife of James Fredericks.  For years her health had been poor, but did not debar her from being about.  Monday, however, she was seized with sudden illness, and continued so until death came to her release.  Her age was 62 years.  She was born in this town, and had resided here nearly all her life.  Besides her husband, three children survive -- Charles Fredericks of Rome, William Fredericks and Mrs. Charles Riley of Ridge Mills.  Mrs. Fredericks was a sister of Charles, Jay and Worthington Fuller of Delta, William Fuller of Whitestown, and Mrs. John Miller of Rome.  The funeral took place to-day at her late home, at 10 o'clock.  (RCJan06/1888)

WATKINS - In Bridgewater, New York, January 1, 1888, ELLEN, wife of the late John Watkins of Deerfield, New York, aged 88 years, 9 months and 18 days.  (RCJan06/1888)

TAYLOR - In Utica, New York, January 1, 1888, JAMES BOOTH TAYLOR, in his 50th year.  (RCJan06/1888)

FAULDS - In Ithaca, Michigan, recently, JOHN T. FAULDS, formerly of Hatch's Corners, Oneida county, New York, aged 33 years.  (RCJan06/1888)   [another article in the same paper follows:]
               John F. Faulds, a former resident of Hatch's Corners, and a brother of J. B. Faulds, of Rome, New York, died recently at his home in Ithaca, Gratiot county, Michigan.  His death was caused by neuralgia of the spine, and he was confined to his bed less than 48 hours.  (RCJan06/1888)

CLARK - Delta, New York.  JOHN CLARK, an old resident of this town, after suffering a stroke of paralysis, died Saturday (December 30, 1887) morning at the residence of his son, Edward Clark, in Deansville, New York, aged 75 years.  He also leaves two daughters at Deansville, and another son, C. H. Clark, at this place.  His remains were brought here Tuesday and the funeral held at the M. E. church.  (RCJan06/1888)

ROBINSON - Dr. R. H. Robinson has gone to Perryville, Madison Co., New York to attend the funeral of his mother, who died very suddenly.  (RCJan06/1888)

DIXON - Taberg, New York.  ALBERT DIXON, a highly respected farmer near Glenmore, died last Saturday.  (December 30, 1887)  He had been ailing some months, but was not considered dangerously sick until two days before his death.  The immediate cause of his death was said to be paralysis though he had been afflicted more or less with Bright's disease.  He was only 33 years old.  Deceased was a brother of Welcome Adamson and Thomas Dixon, and son-in-law of N. Markley, Esq.  His funeral was largely attended last Sunday at the M. E. church in Glenmore.  (RCJan06/1888)

MEAYS - Vienna, New York.  Another of our old residents passed from among the living January 4, 1888.  THOMAS MEAYS, an aged and highly respected citizen died at his residence on Main street, after a long and painful illness, aged 74 years.  He survived his wife but a few months.  He leaves three children to mourn -- J.H.Meays and Miss Anna Meays, and Mrs. G. E. Butler, of North Bay, besides a mourning community.  (RCJan06/1888)  [see also (RCMay20/1887)-MEAYS]

CRAWFORD - Last Friday (December 29, 1887) morning, James Crawford, of Franklin Iron Works, was handling an old shot gun that he supposed was not loaded, when it was suddenly discharged and the contents struck his wife, who was standing near, between the knee and thigh, inflicting an awful wound.  It was some time before medical help could be obtained.  Drs. Peck and Armstrong were called, and after their arrival succeeded in stopping the flow of blood.  The physicians hesitated about amputating the limb, on account of the weakness of the patient, but as that seemed the only means of saving her life they finally concluded to perform the operation, and took the leg off about six inches below the hip joint.  The shock, however, was more than the unfortunate woman could stand and she died about six o'clock in the evening.  Coroner Jones, of Utica, was summoned, and held an inquest, the verdict being accidental death.
     As can be imagined, the accident drove the husband fairly wild with grief, as he and his wife had always lived very happily together.  Both were members of the Stone Presbyterian church of Clinton.  Besides the husband, two small children and an adopted child are left.  The sad accident has cast a gloom over the village of Franklin Iron Works.  (RCJan06/1888)

CADY - On Thursday of last week (December 28, 1887) DARIUS A. CADY, of Prospect, New York, went into the field with his team, but about noon the horses returned to the barn without him.  Search was made and he was found in a benumbed condition, having suffered an apoplectic shock.  Everything possible was done to revive him, but at six o'clock he died.  Mr. Cady was born on the farm on which he died 51 years ago, and was highly respected by all who knew him.  He was one of the trustees of the Prospect public school at the time of his death.  A wife, two sons and two daughters survive, as does his father, Andres G. Cady, of Boonville.  The funeral occurred Sunday.  (RCJan06/1888)

ARMSTRONG - Mrs. ABIGAIL ARMSTRONG, widow of the late General Jesse Armstrong of this city, (Rome, New York) died at her home in Troy Monday (January 2, 1888) morning.  She was the mother of Wheeler Armstrong, of Rome, and George M. Armstrong, of Baltimore, Md.  Deceased was born in Shaftsbury, Vt., in 1809.  She was married to General Armstrong in 1828, and resided in this city from that time until about ten years ago, when she went to Troy to reside with her niece, Mrs. C. P. Sheldon.  Gen. Armstrong died about thirty-three years ago.  For the past twenty years the deceased had been afflicted with paralysis and could not leave her chair without assistance.  For more that fifty years she was a consistent member of the Baptist church in this city.  She always took a deep interest in church matters, and was greatly beloved and esteemed by her acquaintances.  The remains were brought to this city, and the funeral took place at the residence of Wheeler Armstrong yesterday.  (RCJan06/1888)

CRUMB - Rome, New York.  The two-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Crumb died at their home, No. 427 West Embargo street, Monday (January 2, 1888) afternoon.  (RCJan06/1888)

STEPHENSON - About four years ago, Miss Susie Utley, daughter of H. G. Utley of Rome, New York, was married to Hon. WALTER D. STEPHENSON, of Los Angeles, California.  Immediately after their marriage, which occurred in this city, they took up their residence in Los Angeles.  On Thursday of last week (December 26, 1887) Mr. Stephenson died suddenly of typhoid pneumonia, with which he had been sick but a few days, aged 34 years.  Deceased was one of the leading lawyers of lower California, and at one time held the office of district attorney of Los Angeles county.  Besides the wife, an infant son survives.  Mrs. Stephenson is assured of the heartfelt sympathy of hosts of friends in this city.  (RCJan06/1888)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, January 13, 1888

JONES - In Prospect, New York, January 10, 1888, MARTHA, wife of John G. Jones, aged 66 years.  (RCJan13/1888)

WOLCOTT - In Yorkville, New York, January 10, 1888, OLIVIA K. WOLCOTT, widow of the late William Wolcott, in the 70th year of her age.  (RCJan13/1888)

ADAMS - Near Boonville, New York, December 31, 1887, WILLIAM ADAMS, formerly of Clark's Mills.  (RCJan13/1888)

ROOT - At Clark's Mills, New York, January 7, 1888, ANDREWS S. ROOT, in his 72d year.  (RCJan13/1888)

BENEDICT - Entered into rest at Clinton, New York, January 12, 1888, Mrs ESTHER BENEDICT, mother of A. G. Benedict, in the 81st year of her age.  (RCJan13/1888)

FINERTY - In Whitesboro, New York, on Thursday, January 5, 1888, ELLEN J. FINERTY, aged 27 years, 7 months and 14 days.  (RCJan13/1888)

WATKINS - In Prospect, New York, on Thursday, January 5, 1888, MARY C. WATKINS, widow of the late George Watkins, Sr., aged 71 years.  (RCJan13/1888)

CRAWFORD - In Rockford, Illinois, December 29, 1887, JAMES H. CRAWFORD, aged 63 years.  (RCJan13/1888)

EAMES - In Lee Center, New York, January 9, 1888, Mrs. PARMELIA EAMES, aged 73 years and 7 months.  (RCJan13/1888)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, January 20, 1888

BEALS - At the home of Mrs. C. B. Johnson, in Rome, New York, January 18, 1888, Mrs. N. BRITTON BEALS, aged 88? years, 1 month and 8 days.  (RCJan20/1888)

MARTIN - In Utica, New York, January 17, 1888, WALTER I. MARTIN, aged nearly 54 years.  (RCJan20/1888)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, January 27, 1888

HAVER - In Oneida, New York, January 19, 1888, SUSANNAH, wife of Nicholas Haver, in her 44th year.  (RCJan27/1888)  [another article in the same paper follows:]
               Mrs. Nicholas Haver, died at her home in Oneida the 19th inst. aged 43 years.  Her disease was consumption, with which she had been a sufferer for years.  Deceased formerly resided in this city (Rome, NY) and in Lee.  Besides her husband, seven children survive, the youngest being about two months old.  The funeral occurred Sunday, in St. Mary's church, Rome, NY.  (RCJan27/1888)

CRANDALL - Delta, New York  news item:  News comes of the death of Mrs. LOUISA S. CRANDALL, at Wayne county, New York.  She was a former resident in this place and a sister of the late Mrs. E. Hicks.  (RCJan27/1888)

PARMALEE - At her home near Clinton, New York, yesterday, Mrs ANNA PARMALEE, the oldest person in central New York, died.  She was born April 29, 1784, and consequently lacked but three months of being 104 years old.  For nearly eighty years she had lived in the house in which she died.  Two years ago her maiden sister, Thankful Stanton, died at the age of 99 years.  Mrs. Parmalee was a promindent figure in Clinton's centennial celebration of the 13th of July last.  The funeral services will be held in the M.E. church at Clinton, to-morrow at 1:30 P.M.  (RCJan27/1888)

GRADY - DOMINICK GRADY AND WIFE, of Steuben street, Utica, New York, were found dead in their bed yesterday.  Illuminating gas that had escaped from a main is the supposed cause of death.  Several others on the same street were also illed with the gas, but fortunately no serious results followed.  Mr. and Mrs. Grady were old people aged 89 and 70 respectively.  A coroner's inquest is in progress.  (RCJan27/1888)

HUSTED - Taberg, New York.  PALMER HUSTED, reported last week as very low, died Saturday. (January 21, 1888)  Mr. Husted, in years gone by, was a prominent member and for many years an officer of the Presbyterian society in this place, until the society was disorganized.  He was always respected and esteemed by his fellow townsmen, and passed peacefully away at the ripe old age of 81 years.  He leaves an aged widow and many other relatives who mourn their loss.  The funeral was largely attended on Tuesday at the M.E. church, the services being conducted by Rev. D. W. Alysworth.  (RCJan27/1888)

GOLOGY - PATRICK GOLOGY died last Monday (January 23, 1888) of dropsy of the heart.  He had been ailing some time, and his death was not unexpected.  He was 28 years old.  The funeral will be held to-day at St. John's church in this villiage, and the remains will be taken to the Catholic cemetery at Annsville for burial. (We understand since writing that the funeral will have to be postponed, as the late storms have made the roads impassable.  (RCJan27/1888)      [following article in next month's paper:]
                On Monday, (February 6, 1888) the body of Patrick Gology was taken from the receiving vault and taken to its last resting place in the Florence cemetery.  It was followed by an immence procession for friends and neighbors.  (RCFeb10/1888)

TAYLOR - On Wednesday, January 4, 1888, the wife of Charles W. Taylor died in Denver, Colorado.  Her maiden name was HENRIETTA Whittaker, and she formerly resided at Davenport, Iowa, in which city something over ten years ago she was married to Mr. Taylor, who is a son of S. J. Taylor of this city (Rome, NY).  Shortly after her marriage she removed to Rome with her husband, who engaged in the boot and shoe trade in the store on Dominick street now occupied by G. W. Ingalls & Co.  They afterward went to Chicago, where Mr. Taylor was employed in the extensive meat packing establishment of Armour & Co.  Mrs. Taylor was attacked with lung difficulty, and last fall, with the hope of improving her health, her husband went with her to Denver, where he was placed in charge of Armour & Co.'s house, the distributing depot for their territorial trade.  The change did not benefit her, however.  Consumption became firmly fastened upon her and she passed away at the age of 29 years.  (RCJan27/1888)

MURPHY - Rome, New York.  JAMES MURPHY, aged 82 years, died at the home of his daughter Mrs. Mary O'Brien, on Caswell street, Wednesday. (January 25, 1888)  Mr. Murphy formerly resided in Albany, where two sons and a daughter still live.  (RCJan27/1888)

WAITE - THOMAS C. WAITE, who died at the home of his son-in-law John R. Taylor, in Little Falls, New York, Sunday, (January 22, 1888) was formerly a resident of Rome, New York, where he conducted an insurance business for sixteen years.  He was in his 74th year.  (RCJan27/1888)

ASHTON - Miss LIZZIE ASHTON, formerly of Rome, New York, but for the past eight years a resident of Dakota, was caught in the blizzard of two weeks ago near Artesian City, and on the following day her dead and frozen body was found in the snow.  She was a daughter of Charles Ashton, who died about seven years ago.  She resided in what is known as the Oneida township in Sanborn county, so called because of the number of Oneida county people residing there, including the following ex-Romans:  Mr. and Mrs. Nobel Trenham, Mr. and Mrs. John Edwards, John and Charles Ashton and their families, Edward Ashton and his mother, and Mrs. Richard Hughes.  (RCJan27/1888)

CLEFFORD - Vienna, New York.  Many were saddened to learn of the death of Mrs. CHARLOTTE CLEFFORD, wife of Peter C. Clefford, which occurred Tuesday (January 24, 1888) at 2:30 o'clock.  She was 72 years of age.  The funeral will occur at the residence Friday at 12 o'clock.  She leaves to mourn for her a husband and eight children:  Elbridge Clefford, of Iowa City, Iowa, and Guilford D. Clefford, of Fort Mason, Florida; D. B. Clefford, C. C. Clefford, Mrs. T. Sitterly, Mrs. Fred Powell, of Vienna, New York, and Mrs. J. Cleveland, of Palmyra, NY, all of whom were here at the time of her death, excepting P. C. Clefford, Jr., of Iowa City, Iowa, he being unable to attend.  She has been a resident of this town for nearly 50 years, and was formerly of Rensselaer Co., NY.  She leaves a large circle of relatives and friends to mourn her loss.  (RCJan27/1888)

DEMPSEY - New York city, January 22, 1888.  A party of sporting men went down to Fort Hamilton late last night and stopped at the Live Oaks house.  Among them were the light weight pugilist Tom White, better known as "Swipes, the newsboy," and BILLY DEMPSEY, who was employed in the press room of a morning paper in this city.  These two were matched to fight to a finish with skin tight gloves for a purse amounting to about $60.  There were about twenty in the party.  The men took possession of a room and the principals were soon in fighting costume and began work.
     Dempsey led with a stinging blow on Swipes face.  Infighting followed and then Dempsey received a blow on the right side over the short ribs.  He staggered forward and was met by a stinging blow on the temple that sent him to the floor unconscious.  His seconds raised his head and said he had a fit.  He did not recover consciousness and Swipes was declared the winner.  The latter declined to take the purse, saying he would wait until Dempsey recovered and fight it out.
     Dempsey did not recover and the party became alarmed.  Thompson, the hotel keeper, was told of the mishap and sent four men in search of a doctor, but they failed either to get one or to return.  Those who remained suddenly discovered that Dempsey was dead, and there was a general flight.  Justice Church and Coroner Rooney were notified, and to-day Dempsey's body was removed to his late residence.  Although he was but 22 years old, he had been married a year and a half and leaves a widow and a three months old child.  An autopsy will be held to-morrow.
     "Swipes" surrendered himself to the police and was locked up.  It is probable that all the others concerned in the fight will be arrested.  (RCJan27/1888)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, February 3, 1888

SEIFERT - In Rome, New York, January 27, 1888, JOHN SEIFERT, aged 57 years, 7 months and 8 days.  (RCFeb03/1888)   [another article in same paper follows:]
               John Seifert, who died at his home on his farm four miles west of Rome, NY, January 27, had been a resident of Rome for 38 years.  For three years he had suffered with cancer of the stomach, but was confined to his bed only two weeks prior to his death.  He was a member and a trustee of the German Trinity church of this city.  Besides the widow, ten children survive -- John, Jr., Bernhard C, George, Frederick, Mrs. Adolph Moldt, Mrs. Frederick Bostleer, Mrs. Leonard White, Anna and Rachael, all of Rome, and Mrs. Fred W. Hoffman, of Frankfort, NY.  (RCFeb03/1888)

MOTT - In the town of Rome, near New London, New York, January 29, 1888, WILLIAM MOTT, son of A. W. Mott, aged 20 years.  He leaves a wife and one child. (RCFeb03/1888)

GRISWOLD - In Deerfield, New York, January 29, 1888, JAMES GRISWOLD, aged 79 years.  (RCFeb03/1888)

THOMAS - In Marcy, New York, January 28, 1888, Miss SARAH A. THOMAS, youngest daughter of John A. Thomas, aged 25 years and 5 months.  (RCFeb03/1888)

POMEROY - In Litchfield, Kansas, January 28?, 1888, DWIGHT A. POMEROY, formerly of Clinton, N.Y., aged  66 years.  (RCFeb03/1888)

FOX - In Rome, New York, January 28, 1888, CLAUDE ALFRED, son of Mr. and Mrs. Byron S. Fox, aged 5 years, 2 months and six days.  (RCFeb03/1888)  [another article in same paper follows:]
               Last Saturday evening Mr. and Mrs. Byron S. Fox, of this city, were thrown into the deepest bereavement by the death of their youngest child, Claude Alfred, a very bright and promising child, aged a little over five years.  For some time the little fellow had suffered from diphtheria, and he was apparently recovering, when he suffered a relapse.  Kidney difficulty set it, and on the evening above mentioned he was stricked with a spasm in which he died.  The funeral occurred Tuesday at 2 P.M., at the house, No. 220 S. James street, over the N.Y., O & W. depot.  The services were conducted by Rev. T. B. Shepherd, pastor of the First M.E. church.  The afflicted parents are assured of the deep sympathy of their friends.  (RCFeb03/1888)

VAN PATTEN - In Austin, Texas, January 29, 1888, Mrs. ADAM VAN PATTEN, aged 75 years.  Last summer Mrs. Adam Van Patten, of Austin, Texas came to Rome, New York to visit her daughter, Mrs. A. W. Orton, and to recuperate her failing health.  In October, her health having very materially improved, she left and went to the seashore, and about two months afterward returned to her home in Texas.  She had not been at home long, when she again began to suffer with her old malady, that of heart disease which finally proved the cause of her death on Sunday afternoon.
     In 1836, Mrs. Van Patten, came to Rome with her husband, Adam Van Patten, and resided here from that time until April 1868, when they removed to Kansas City, Mo.  They lived there seven years, and then went to Austin, Texas, where they have since resided.
     Besides the husband, the following eleven children survive -- Mrs. A. W. Orton, Rome; Mrs. P. W. Talcott, of Austin, Texas; Francis P. and Adrian Van Patten, of Austin, Nevada; Addison Van Patten, of Pleasant Hill, Mo.; Eugene and Henry Van Patten, of Las Cruses, New Mexico; Edgar S. Van Patten, of Kansas City, Mo.; Woodman Van Patten, of El Paso, Texas; Mrs. W. W. Bissell, of New York city; Mrs. Sydney Tuttle, of San Antonio, Texas.
      During the thirty two years that Mr. Van Patten resided here, he was prominently engaged in business, and his family were much esteemed in the social circle in which they moved.  The present residence of Mrs. Wolcott B. White, on West Embargo street, was erected by Mr. Van Patten in 1851, and he and his family resided there until their removal west in 1868.  Mrs. Van Patten was an earnest Christian lady, and a member of the Baptist church.  She always took an active interest in church work, and the effects of her hands will be greatly missed.
     By request of the deceased, the remains were brought to this city (Rome, NY) for interment, where most of her children were born.  The funeral will take place at the residence of A. W. Orton, on North Washington street, this afternoon at 2 o'clock.  (RCFeb03/1888)  [see also (RCJan07/1887)-VAN PATTEN]

SWARTFIGUER - In Rome, New York, Sunday, January 29, 1888, DANIEL SWARTFIGUER, died suddenly of heart disease at the home of his son, Charles B. Swartfiguer, on Parry street.  For a number of years he had been a sufferer from asthma and rheumatism, and since last fall he had been troubled considerably with his heart.  Sunday morning he had a serious attack of heart disease, but got better of it, and at noon ate a hearty dinner, and seemed to be in usual health.  At about 2:30, however, he suffered another attack, and died in a few minutes.
     Mr. Swartfiguer was 65 years of age, and had resided in this city for the last 35 years.  He was cigar maker by trade, and was engaged in that business until his death.  One son, Charles E. Swartfiguer, survives him.  The deceased had a genial disposition, and was the possessor of many warm friends. (RCFeb03/1888)

WILLIAMS - Mrs. ABIGAIL WILLIAMS, a life residenct of Verona Mills, New York, died at her home in that place on Monday last, January 30, 1888, aged 78.  She had been ill about two weeks with heart trouble and died very suddenly.  She was a member of the M.E. church of New London.  Her funeral will take place to-morrow (February 3, 1888) at 1 P.M.  Her husband died last October, after a long illiness.  She leaves a son and one daughter.  (RCFeb03/1888)  [see also (RCOct14/1887)-WILLIAMS]

ELLIS - Ava, New York.  Yesterday morning the people of this place were surprised to learn of the death of DANIEL ELLIS, an old and respected citizen.  Mr. Ellis moved here some thirty years ago from Fort Plain, and with the exception of a few years (when he lived in Rome) has always been a resident of this town.  He has been a man that has seen a great deal of trouble in his day.  Shortly before coming to this place, he lost a large amount of property in Fort Plain by endorsing the paper of his friends, but did not give up courage, and worked hard to keep his home.  About seven years ago he lost his eyesight, and since then he has been totally blind.  Mr. Ellis lived to the ripe old age of 88 years, 5 months and 23 days.  He leaves a wife, one daughter and one son.  His wife and daughter are very low with pneumonia.  Deceased will be buried from his late residence on Friday.  No funeral will be held at present, on account of the illness of the rest of the family.  (RCFeb03/1888)  [see also (RCMar09/1888)-ELLIS]

DENGLER - Yesterday, while a heavy boiler was being moved out of the foundry of Philo Curtis, in Utica, New York, it struck an eleven foot fence, and projections therefrom hit two boys who were standing near, watching the men at work.  JACOB DENGLER, aged 9, was almost instanly killed, and Paul Berndt, aged 12, received injuries that will probably cripple him for life.  (RCFeb03/1888)

GRAY - Professor ASA GRAY, who was born in Paris, Oneida county, New York, November 18, 1810, died at Cambridge, Mass., Monday (January 30, 1888) evening.  For many years he was professor of botany at Harvard College.  (RCFeb03/1888)

ANDERSON - Rome, New York.  Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Anderson, Jr., mourn the death of their infant son, ROY S., which occurred Sunday (January 29, 1888) night.   (RCFeb03/1888)

METCALF - The funeral of NORTON METCALF, the victim of the Augusta Center horror, took place yesterday afternoon.  (RCFeb03/1888) [in another extensive article in the same paper, the following:]
                 [this seems to be a romantic triangle, concerning, Norton Metcalf, his wife, whose maiden name was Cora M. Gorton, and the man who shot Metcalf, Virgil Jackson]   [Jackson was divorced from his wife, whose maiden name was Sarah Kendall.  They had three children]  [George Metcalf, 10 year old son of deceased was called to testify, there is also a younger brother]  (I can send a photocopy of what I have about the arrest if anyone  is tracing these people, by snail mail - Barbara Andresen)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, February 10, 1888

CHILDS - In New Hartford, New York, February 9, 1888, HARRIET R. CHILDS, wife of Stephen Childs, aged 67 years.  (RCFeb10/1888)

STEDMAN - In Utica, New York, February 4, 1888, DELIA M. STEDMAN, of Whitesboro, mother of Mrs. E. F. Dodge, of Utica, and Mrs. W. A. Richardson, of Whitesboro, aged 58 years.  (RCFeb10/1888)

SATTLEY - In Marcy, New York, at the residence of Joseph Edwards, February 2, 1888, EDWIN A. SATTLEY, aged 19 years, 2 months and 28 days.  (RCFeb10/1888)

THOMAS - At his home in Rome, New York, February 4, 1888, FRANCIS H. THOMAS, in his 68th year.  (RCFeb10/1888)    [another article in the same paper follows:]
                 On January 15, Francis H. Thomas, president of the First National Bank of Rome, was attacked by erysipelas and compelled to relinquish his duties at the bank.  From that time he failed rapidly, and at 10:45 P.M. Saturday, died.  Lacking but a few days of being 68 years of age.  Mr. Thomas early fitted himself for the banking business and became teller of the Bank of Utica.  In 1851 the Rome Exchange Bank (now the First National) was founded, and he was called to the cashiership.  He held this position continuingly until about a year ago, when his nephew, the late Newell F. Thomas, succeeded to that position, and he was elected to the presidency.  For many years he was secretary and treasurer of the Rome Gas Light company, and a trustee of the Rome Savings Bank.
      The deceased was born in Utica, and was a son of Daniel Thomas.  He had four brothers and two sisters, all of whom are now dead.  In business and social circles, Mr. Thomas had the respect and esteem of all.  He was a prominent and active member of Zion church, and was one of the vestrymen since 1885.  He leaves a wife, who is a sister of James S., Thomas H. and George Dyett, and an adopted daughter, Miss Dora Thomas.
     The funeral occurred at Zion church Tuesday.  Rev. Dr. Egar, rector of the church, conducted the services.  The pall bearers were Samuel Wardwell, W. W. Wardwell, George Barnard, N. P. Rudd, J. D. Higgins and H. G. Wright.  The remains were intered in Rome cemetery.  (RCFeb10/1888)  [see also (RCDec23/1887)-THOMAS]

BRAINERD - In Rome, New York, February 5, 1888, of pneumonia, WILLARD KNIGHT, only son of J. M. and Sarah C. Brainerd, aged 1 year and 18 days.  (RCFeb10/1888)  [another notice in same paper follows:]
               Willard Knight Brainerd, infant son of Photographer J. M. Brainerd died Sunday evening of pneumonia.  The bereaved parents are assured of much sympathy.  The funeral occurred at the house Wednesday.  (RCFeb10/1888)  [see also (RCMar23/1888)-BRAINERD]

REYNOLDS - In Whitesboro, New York, February 6, 1888, JANE E., widow of the late Samuel Reynolds.  (RCFeb10/1888)

WILLIS - At Washington Mills, New York, February 6, 1888, EDWARD WILLIS, aged 45 years, 2 months and 15 days.  (RCFeb10/1888)  [another notice in same paper]
               Edward Willis, proprietor of the Park hotel at Washington Mills, died suddenly of congestion of the lungs Monday morning.  He was also deputy sheriff.  (RCFeb10/1888)

WIDTMAN - In Camden, New York, February 5, 1888, MAGDALENA WIDTMAN, aged 25 years.  (RCFeb10/1888)

BRAINARD - In Rochester, New York, February 1, 1888, Mrs. RHODA BRAINARD, widow of Warren Brainard formerly of Rome, NY, aged 73 years.  (RCFeb10/1888)  [another notice in the same paper follows:]
                Mrs. Rhoda Brainard, who died in Rochester last week, was a sister of the late Richard Peggs and Mrs. T. G. Halley, of Rome, and Mrs. Willis Rudd, of Delta.  At the time Mr. and Mrs. Brainard resided in Rome, they were engaged in the boarding house business, and at different times conducted  the old Empire House, in the Empire block, and the American.  (RCFeb10/1888)

JONES - In LeRoy, Kansas, January 16, 1888, ABIJAH JONES, formerly of New London, New York, aged 82 years and 10 months.  He left New London 35 years ago.  He was the father of Mrs. W. H. Lewis, or Rome, NY.  One son, George Jones, of LeRoy, Kansas survives.  (RCFeb10/1888)

BOYD - Rome, New York.  The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. William A. Boyd died Tuesday (February 7, 1888).         (RCFeb10/1888)

PELL - JOE PELL, the negro fiddler, of Utica, who was a frequent and familiar figure on the streets of this city, (Rome, NY) is dead.  (RCFeb10/1888)

LACKEY - Rome, New York.  MINNIE LACKEY, aged 10, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John H. Lackey, died Monday (February 6, 1888) evening, after a week's illness with diphtheria.  She was a pupil at St. Peter's academy.   (RCFeb10/1888)

FINSTER - Rome, New York.  Paul Finster, of South James street, has the sympathy of the community in the loss of his wife, who died Tuesday (February 7, 1888) evening.  Her age was 29 years.  Four small children survive.  (RCFeb10/1888)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, February 17, 1888

CLEVELAND - In Waterville, New York, February 14, 1888, Dr. WIILIAM PHELPS CLEVELAND, aged 87 years, 6 months, and 4 days.  (RCFeb17/1888)

FORD - In Fullersburg, DuPage county, Illinois, February 8, 1888, ARTHTA?  M. FORD, youngest son of Almeron Ford, formerly of Steuben, NY, aged 17 years and 6 days.  (RCFeb17/1888)

BRITTON - At Clinto, New York, February 9, 1888, JAMES BRITTON, in the 48th year of his age.  (RCFeb17/1888)

BRAINERD - In Rome, New York, February 10, 1888, JEPTHA BRAINERD, aged 79 years and 11 months.
            Jeptha Brainerd, father of Photographer Brainerd of Rome, New York, died suddenly of heart disease at his home near Wright's Settlement on the afternoon of the 10th inst.  Up to a short time before his death he was feeling as well as usual.  About 3:30 he came into the house and sat down, saying he did not feel well.  In a few moments he fell to the floor and soon expired.
     In 1796 Jonathan Brainerd came from Connecticut and located in the village of Rome.  He afterward took up his residence on the farm where his son, Jeptha, was born and has ever since lived.  The children of the deceased who now survive are Charles B. and Lansing P. Brainerd, who reside on the homestead; George G. of Rochester; Mrs. H. G. Vredenburg, J. Millard and Leonard L. Brainerd, of Rome, NY.  John and D. P. McHarg, of Rome, are nephews of the deceased, their father having married Jeptha's sister, Lucy.
     Mr. Brainerd was always highly respected by his neighbors, and his honesty and uprightness were the confidence of all with whom he had dealings.
      The funeral occurred at his late residence Monday afternoon, and was largely attended.  (RCFeb17/1888)  [see also (RCFeb10/1888)-BRAINERD]

WILLIAMS - Rome, New York.  HUGH P. WILLIAMS, aged 60, of the late firm of Williams & Cramond, died at his home on West Dominick street, in this city, Friday (February 10, 1888) forenoon.  For twenty years he was a sufferer from a cancer on the right side of his face.  During the past few weeks it had been a source of much trouble to him, and he consulted prominent physicians in New York city and Detroit, but did not succeed in getting relief.  He and his wife returned from the latter place on the day preceeding his death, and from that time until Friday he failed rapidly.  He was not confined to his bed, however, and was about the house until the hour he breathed his last.
     Mr. Williams was born in Wales, but at the age of three years came to this country with his father, who settled in the town of Remsen, this county.  About 1870 he came to Rome, and entered the employ of Williams & Elwell, marble dealers.  In 1871 he and William J. Cramond, a fellow employe, bought out their employer's business, and conducted the same until about four years ago, when Mr. Williams, was compelled to withdraw from the firm on account of his health.
     The deceased was twice married, and his second wife and one son, ex-Supervisor Oscar D. Williams, survive.  One brother, William, of New York Mills, and one sister, Mrs. Mary Ward, of Pennsylvania, are also left.
     In the death of Mr. Williams Rome loses an honorable citizen.  The funeral occurred at the house Monday afternoon.  (RCFeb17/1888)

TUTTLE - Lee, New York news item:  The remains of CHARLES TUTTLE were brought to the cemetery here Sunday (February 12, 1888).  Notwithstanding the cold, a great number came from the city to view the remains of him who was respected by all who knew him.  His bereaved wife and fatherless children have our heartfelt sympathy in their deep sorrow.  Rev. H. A. Harris offucuated  (RCFeb17/1888)  [another article in Point Rock, New York items follows:]
               Last Sunday occurred the funeral of Charles Tuttle at his late residence.  The house was filled to overflowing.  H. A. Harris preached the sermon; appropriate music was rendered by Messrs. Smith and Reynolds, assisted by Mrs. Worder and Mrs. Morac.  The deceased left a wife and three little girls, who mourn a good husband and a loving father.  Mr. Tuttle was an indefatigable worker, and he will long be missed by all that knew him.  He was buried at his old home on the west road.  When the body reached the grave, the choir gathered around and sang, "Going Down the Valley."  He leaves one sister, Mrs. Andrew Ferguson  (RCFeb17/1888)

BISSELL - Blossvale, New York.  ANDREW BISSELL died Monday, (February 13, 1888) inst. after a few hours' illness, of neuralgia of the heart, aged 64 years.  The funeral was held to-day at 10 o'clock at his late residence on Sand street, and the remains were taken to Rathbunville for interment.  (RCFeb17/1888)

GREENE - Greenway, New York.  The funeral of GEORGE GREENE was largely attended to-day at 12 M. at the home of his brother,   J. G. Greene.  Elder Backus made appropriate remarks from Prov. 16. 33.  A choir of friends rendered select singing.  The remains were in charge of J. Wiggins and deposited in the cemetery at this place.  Mr. Greene had been confined to his bed for the past week from a fractured limb, and being advanced in years was not able to survive the shock, and died last Saturday (February 11, 1888) evening.  He was widely known and much respected for his courteous and genial ways, and never failed to find friends, even among entire strangers, and will be greatly missed at his place.  Four brothers survive him and were present, two of whom are over 80.  There are two sisters who were absent.  (RCFeb17/1888)

SHELTON - Mrs. SARAH ELMIRA SHELTON died at Richmond Sunday (February 12, 1888), aged 78.  When she was a young lady she rejected Edgar A. Poe, the poet, but after she became a widow it is said they became engaged, Poe's death preventing their marriage.  (RCFeb17/1888)

WIETING - Dr. JOHN M. WIETING, one of the most prominent citizens of Syracuse, New York, died in that city Wednesday (February 15, 1888).  He was born of German parents, in Springfield, Otsego Co., in 1817.  He was the owner of the Wieting Opera House, and had distinguished himself in many ways.  (RCFeb17/1888)

SPENCER - Rome, New York.  ANSON SPENCER, son of the late Archelaus Spencer, died yesterday morning of softening of the brain after an illness of five years, aged forty-eight years.  The deceased was born in this city and always resided here.  Besides his step-mother, the deceased leaves a brother, J. Archelaus Spencer, of Mill Bank, Dakota, and a sister, Mrs. Samuel Jackson, of Cazenovia.  The funeral will occur at No. 302 North Washington street at 2 P. M. to-morrow.  (RCFeb17/1888)

STICKER - GEORGE W. STICKER, brother of John Sticker, of Rome, New York, died in Catawissa, Pa., Wednesday (February 15, 1888).  (RCFeb17/1888)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, February 24, 1888

OLCUTT - In Kansas City, Mo., February 18, 1888, OMAN BOND OLCUTT, infant son of Charles F. and Nellie Olcutt, formerly of Point Rock, New York, aged 5 months and 11 days.  (RCFeb24/1888)

BLACKSTONE - In Washington Mills, New York, Friday, February 17, 1888, ALFRED BLACKSTONE, aged 79 years, 11 months and 13 days.  (RCFeb24/1888)

HOFERT - In Floyd, New York, February 18, 1888, JOSEPH HOFERT, aged 31 years and 7 months.  (RCFeb24/1888)

MARTIN - At Stittville, New York, February 19, 1888, Mrs. ANGELINE, wife of Jirah Martin, aged 81 years.  (RCFeb24/1888)

COOK - In Utica, New York, February 18, 1888, CHARLES COOK, aged 65 years, 8 months and 15 days.  RCFeb24/1888)

GRIFFIN - In Rome, New York, February 20, 1888, CHARLES S. GRIFFIN, aged 42 years.  The deceased was a son of the late Smith Griffin, and was born in Rome.  Up to the age of 16 he attended the public schools of the city and then entered the drug store of Dr. H. H. Pope.  After remaining in this situation for about two years, he went to Utica and took a six months' course in a commercial college.  He then entered the Central National Bank in this city as discount clerk.  He remained in this institution for a number of years, acquiring the position of book keeper.  He afterward resigned that position and went to Watertown and took a position as teller in Samuel Upham's Bank, remaining there two years.  He then returned to this city and assumed the tellership of the First National Bank.  He was also assistant cashier of this bank for a time, but continued to act as teller.  In 1876 Mr. Griffin severed his connection with the First National Bank and accepted the cashiership of the Central National Bank, which position he held at the time of his death.  He was also president of the Aland Patent Blower Co., treasurer of the Oneida County Savings Bank, and vice president of the Merchant-Iron Mill Company.
     In 1872 Mr. Griffin married Miss Kate Van Dresar, who, together with a young son, Stephen, survives.  The deceased also leaves two brothers, Albert Griffin, of Corry, Pa., and H. C. Griffin, of Denver, Colorado, and five sisters, Mrs. William Holtby, of Rome, NY, Mrs. Fred O. Jones, of Syracuse, NY, Mrs. C. F. Calkins, of Pierrepont Manor, Mrs. William Van Buskirk, of Chase, Michigan, and Miss Rose E. Griffin, of Kansas City, Mo
     As a financier Mr. Griffin had few equals, and he enjoyed the confidence of the entire business community.  During his administration of the affairs of the Central National Bank that institution has been brought into a very prosperous condition.  In politics he was a Democrat, and always took a lively interest in public affairs of both local and national nature.  The death of Mr. Griffin following so quickly in the wake of two other Rome bank officers -- Francis H. and Newell F. Thomas -- causes a peculiar sense of sadness to rest upon the banking fraternity of the city.
     The funeral occurred yesterday at the residence of his father-in-law, Stephen Van Dresar.  The services were conducted by Rev. Dr. Egar, of Zion church, and Rev. Dr. Peabody of the Baptist church.  There was a very large attendance.  The bearers were Mayor Stevens, William Stevens, Thomas W. Singleton, A. J. Broughton, J. W. Armstrong and M. B. Kingsley.  The interment took place in Rome cemetery.  (RCFeb24/1888)

JONES - On Quaker Hill, in the town of Western, New York, February 20, 1888, ELIZABETH, wife of Robert Jones, aged 61 years.  (RCFeb24/1888)  [another  article under Westernville news Items:]
               Mrs. Robert Jones, who resided on Quaker Hill about three miles north of this place, died last night, after an illness of several weeks.  Funeral Thursday at the Presbyterian church in this place.  (RCFeb24/1888)

FITCH - In Westmoreland, New York, February 20, 1888, of pneumonia, EBENEZER FITCH, aged 82 years, 9 monts and 26 days.  (RCFeb24/1888)

MORSE - New London, NY,  news item.  William Morse, of Higginsville, lost a child nearly two years old.  Funeral last Sunday. (February 19, 1888)  Rev. Mr. Taylor preached the funeral sermon.  (RCFeb24/1888)

LYNCH - E. Newton Rowell, who killed his wife's paramour, JOHNSON L. LYNCH, of Utica, New York, has been granted an absolute divorce from his wife, Jennie L. Rowell.  (RCFeb24/1888)

HOUCK - WILLIAM HOUCK, a 16-year old lad, employed in the Glove Mills, of Utica, New York, attempted to board a N.Y. O & W train to catch a ride home.  He slipped, however, and falling under the wheels, was horribly mangled and instantly killed.  (RCFeb24/1888)

WILLIAMS - THOMAS N. WILLIAMS, an old man of Utica, NY, who has been a subject of charity for several months, was brought to Rome, NY Tuesday (February 21, 1888) to be taken to the county house.  While waiting for a conveyance to be made ready the old man died in B. Martin's barn, where he had been placed on a couch.  The remains were taken to Utica.  (RCFeb24/1888)

TOEPP - JOSEPH TOEPP, son of Martin Toepp of this city, (Rome, NY) died Monday (February 20, 1888) night at his home in Mishawaka, a small place located about four miles from South Bend, Indiana.  The deceased has suffered with kidney difficulty for some time, but was only confined to his bed two weeks.  Until about six years ago, Joseph Toepp was a resident of this city and worked at his trade, that of painting.  For some time prior to his death he had conducted a hotel at Mishawaka.  Besides his parents, the deceased leaves a widow and a two-year-old daughter; also five brothers -- [my photocopy stops here, but it seems to go on to name the brothers --transcriber]      (RCFeb24/1888)

DECKER - Early (February 18, 1888) Saturday morning HENRY DECKER, a patient in the Utica Insane asylum, committed suicide by hanging.  He had tied one end of a sheet to the upper bar of the window grating and the other to his neck.  When found his body was warm, but life was extinct.
     Henry Decker was a soldier in the late war, and during his absence there his wife ran away.  When he returned he took to drinking excessively.  About 15 years ago he married again, and in 1876 shot and killed his father-in-law.  He was convicted and sent to prison for 12 years.  This was in Pennsylvania.  He was in prison nine and one-quarter years.  About six months before he was brought to Utica he was in Binghamton.  But little was known of him till six weeks before admission to this asylum, when he was arrested and tried for arson in the second degree.  On this trial it appeared that he was insane, and he was ordered by the court to be brought here.  When he came, he had delusions, feared that persons were following him to punish him for the homicide committed in '76.
       He was placed in the Utica asylum, December 26, 1886.  At first he seemed to improve, but of late his symptoms showed such suicidal tendence that it was found necessary to watch him almost constantly.  For two days before his death he refused to leave his bed; and on Saturday morning an attendant had noticed that he was all right at 5:45.  At 6:40 a patient discovered his suspended body.
     The coroner's jury rendered a verdict of suicide in accordance with the above facts, attaching no blame to any one connected with the asylum.  (RCFeb24/1888)

WALKER - A peculiar and fatal accident occurred in the Mohawk Valley Cotton Mills in East Utica, New York, late Saturday (February 18, 1888) afternoon.  Engineer H. R. Illingsworth and his assistant, JOHN WALKER, were in the engine room together as usual, and noticed a peculiar clicking sound in the machinery about 3:30 P.M., and both started to shut off the steam.  Before the engine could be stopped, however, the head cross-head broke, and the piston drove off the cylinder head, which struck Mr. Walker, who was standing directly in front, killing him instantly.  His face and head and portions of his body were badly burned, his right hip was dislocated and the right hand nearly severed.  He was also badly scalded by the steam with which the room was filled immediately after the accident.  The deceased had served in the capacity of assistant engineer ever since the mills started, and was a hardworking and trustworthy employe.  He was the son of George and Hannah Walker, and was born in England 47 years ago.  He came to this country some 20 years ago, and soon after located in Utica.  He leaves a wife and five sons, Harry, Joseph, George, John and Frank Walker, all of Utica.  The coroner's jury rendered a verdict of accidental death, and that no blame attached to anyone.  (RCFeb24/1888)

BROOKS - Prof. W. R. BROOKS, father of Prof. W. W. Brooks of this city (Rome, NY), died at Randallsville, Tuesday. (February 21, 1888)  On Sunday, while conducting services in his chapel, he was stricken with paralysis on his right side.  Dr. Brooks was born August 3, 1821.  He chose the ministry as his profession and entered Madison university in 1843.  He served as pastor of Baptist churches in Media, Perry and Hamilton.  In 1859 he was made secretary of the board of education of New York city.  In 1863 he received the degree of doctor of divinity from Madison university.  He visited Europe, Egypt and Palestine in 1868 with his family.  His services as lecturer in natural history in the university began in 1875.  Some years ago he built a handsome chapel at Randallsville, about three miles from Hamilton, and has preached there every Sunday when he was able to do so.  Dr. Brooks wielded a great influence with the students of Madison University, who learned with regret and sadness that he had passed away.  (RCFeb24/1888)

BROCKWAY - Lee, New York.  Saturday (February 18, 1888) the little child of L. Brockway was buried.  Owing to the roads being blocked, only a few could get to their residence, and two of the choir walked over the snow about a mile.  (RCFeb24/1888)

CONE - Rome, New York.  For about three months LEVERETT H. CONE has been ill with consumption at the residence of his brother, Gardner E. Cone, corner of James and Thomas streets.  Wednesday (February 22, 1888) morning he died.  Mr. Cone was a shoe maker by trade, and followed that business until ill health compelled him to give it up.  His wife died about thirty years ago.  His only living relative, as far as known, is his brother at whose residence he died.  He was 66 years of age.  (RCFeb24/1888)  [see also (RCDec09/1864)-CONE]

Barbara Andresen