Rome Citizen Death Notices in 1888

Thanks to Barbara Andresen for sending this in!

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, March 2, 1888

KENT - In Floyd, New York, Friday, February 24, 1888, of pneumonia, MOSS E. KENT, he was 78 years of age, and had resided for 48 years on the farm on which he died.  He leaves nine children, Mrs. Charles Hutchinson, of Marcy, Grant M. and E. M. Kent, of Rome, Azariah R. and William G. and Misses Marion and Lolla (or Lella?) Kent, of Floyd, C. S. and F. T. Kent, of Syracuse.   (RCMar02/1888)

NEIDERER - In Rome, New York, at the residence of Pius Schibel, February 25, 1888, MARY NEIDERER, aged 22 years.  (RCMar02/1888)

CASLER - At the Park hotel, in Rome, New York, February 24, 1888, Miss IDA CASLER, of Steuben, aged 21 years.  (RCMar02/1888)  [see also (RCJun10/1887)-CASLER]

RAYMOND - In Clinton, New York, February 25, 1888, of pneumonia, Dr. S. W. RAYMOND, aged 80 years and 5 months.  In the death of Dr. Samuel W. Raymond, Clinton looses one of her oldest and most respected citizens.  The immediate cause of his demise was pneumonia.  Dr. Raymond was born in in 1807, at New Canaan, Conn., but at the age of two years removed with his parents to Clinton, and has ever since made that village his home.  In early life he studied medicine, but subsequently entered the ministry.  After fifteen years in the service of the Lord, his voice began to fail him, and he commenced the practice of medicine, continuing as a physician up to the time of his death.  Hamilton College conferred upon upon him the degree of A. M. in 1849.  The funeral took place on Tuesday.  (RCMar02/1888)

SEELYE - At New York Mills, New York, February 25, 1888, JANE TYLER, wife of S. F. Seelye, aged 61 years.  (RCMar02/1888)

BUCKLEY - In Utica, New York, February 24, 1888, JOHN E. BUCKLEY, aged 39 years.  (RCMar02/1888)

RALPH - In Utica, New York, February 25, 1888, THOMAS P. RALPH, aged 49 years.  (RCMar02/1888)

BRADT - In Rome, New York, February 26, 1888, Mrs. ELIZA A. BRADT, aged 78 years.  Eliza A. Jefferson, daughter of the late Solomon Jefferson, was born in Wright's Settlement 78 years ago.  At an early age she removed with her parents to the town of Floyd.  In 1828 she was married to John B. Bradt and took up her residence in Rome, where she has since resided.  Mr. Bradt died several years ago.  About two years ago Mrs. Bradt suffered a stroke of parlysis, but did not wholly recover from the effects.  About two weeks ago she was stricken again, and was rendered entirely helpless and speechless.  On Friday morning last another slight shock rendered her unconscious, in which condition she remained until her death, early Sunday evening.  The deceased, when in health, was a regular attendant at the Baptist church.  She was the possessor of many virtues of both heart and hand, which endeared her to her many friends.  She leaves one son, John Jay Bradt, of this city, and four daughters, Mrs. Charles Northrup, of Chicago, Miss Maria Bradt, Mrs. N. E. Flack, of Rome, and Mrs. George J. Leach, of St. Louis, Mo.; also two brothers, DeWitt Clinton Jefferson, of Lacrosse, Wis., and Stephen A. Jefferson, of Lowvill, and three sisters, Mrs. Mary Lacey, of Pleasantville, Pa., Mrs. George F. Wilson and Mrs. Susan J. Fox, of this city.
    The funeral was largely attended at the late residence of the deceased Wednesday.  (RCMar02/1888)

O'NEIL - In Rome, New York, Monday morning, February 27, 1888, of heart disease, Mrs. JOHN O'NEIL, aged 43 years, died at her home on Mill street.  She was born in this city, and was the daughter of the late James Byrnes.  Her husband and five children survive.  (RCMar02/1888)

HARTWELL - At North Western, New York, February 26, 1888, SEYMOUR HARTWELL, in his 82d year.  (RCMar02/1888)

EVANS - Taberg, New York news item:  Mrs. ELIZABETH EVANS, widow of the late David Evans, and mother of Mrs. John L. Jones, died at her home near Glenmore, New York, February 25, 1888, in the 77th year of her age.  Funeral services were held in the Glenmore church on the 27th, and were conducted by Rev. D. W. Aylsworth.  (RCMar02/1888)

CRONK - Lee, New York.  The funeral services of DUANE CRONK were held in the M. E. church on Sunday last, (February 26, 1888) at 11 A.M.  Rev. H. A. Harris preached the funeral sermon.  There was a large number in attendance.  After the services the remains were taken back home and buried in the orchard, where they will remain until warm weather, when they will be taken up and interred at Ava, New York.   (RCMar02/1888)

WRIGHT - After an illness of only ten days with senile gangrene of the foot, EBENEZER W. WRIGHT, died on the farm in Wright's Settlement on which he was born and always resided.  His age was 78 years and he was the grandson of Ebenezer Wright, who came to this section of the country in 1789 and located at old Fort Stanwix.  Shortly afterward, assisted by his two sons, he commenced clearing a tract in the vicinity of what is now called Wright's Settlement.  They built a log house and took up their residence therein.  In 1790, Ebenezer Wright, Jr., father of the deceased, leased 196 acres of land, which included the 100 acres lately owned by his son, the deceased.  Ebenezer, Sr., died in 1808, aged 66 years.  About the year 1796, the old gentleman erected on the farm a frame dwelling, which was conducted as a tavern.  In one of the rooms of this house, in September, 1800, was organized "The First Religious Society in Rome," now known as the Presbyterian.  Ebenezer Wright, Sr., was one of the four charter members.  The others were:  Joshua Hathaway, D. W. Knight, father of the present D. W. Knight, and Mrs. Wright.  Ebenezer Wright, Jr., continued to live on the old homestead till the time of his death, which occurred in 1821, at the advanced age of 82 years.  Nine children were left, all of whom are now dead.  Ebenezer W. Wright was the youngest.  In 1836 he married Sophia Denio, a daughter of Israel Denio, and sister of Judge Israel Denio, who survives.  He also leaves five children:  E. K. Wright, cashier of the Park Bank, New York city, Frank L. Wright, Mrs. T. S. Comstock and Miss Beulah Wright, of Rome, and Charles D. Wright, who is in the far west.
     The deceased was an honorable and upright citizen, and was always highly esteemed by his neighbors and acquaintances.  (RCMar02/1888)

BURNHAM - WILLIAM G. BURNHAM, for some time employed as clerk in the insurance office of James H. Searles, died at Canton, St. Lawrence county, New York, whither he had gone ro recuperate his failing health.  Mr. Burnham was born in Vermont.  He received a liberal education, and held numerous important positions before he came to Rome, NY.  About six years ago he removed here from Newark, Wayne county, and entered the employ of the R.W. & O. R.R. as clerk and telegraph operator under Freight Agent Graves.  Last summer, owing to failing health he left the railroad company for a short rest, and then took a position with Mr. Searles.  A wife, step-mother and three brothers survive.  Deceased was 46 years of age.  (RCMar02/1888)

PARK - Mrs. CONCURRENCE L. PARK died at the residence of her son, Francis Park, in Camden, New York, Monday (February 27, 1888).  She was the mother of 13? children, and numbered her grand-children and great-grand-children by the score.  Her husband died about 50 years ago.   (RCMar02/1888)

HOWARD - Rev. JAMES HOWARD, a Roman Catholic clergyman and formerly assistant to Rev. Father Beecham, pastor of St. Peter's church in Rome, New York, died at his home in Herkimer Saturday (February 25, 1888).  There are many in Rome who remember Father Howard with love and gratitude.  (RCMar02/1888)

WAGNER - Rome, New York.  GEORGE WAGNER, for some time employed as a blacksmith at the Locomotive Works, died at his home on South James street Saturday (February 25, 1888).  A wife and five children survive.  (RCMar02/1888)

BISNET - Alexander Dorman and wife were called to Watertown, NY a few days ago, on account of the death of Mrs. Dorman's little brother, CHARLES BISNET, aged 7, who was drowned in the Black river.  (RCMar02/1888)

FLANAGAN - Utica, NY. [my photocopy starts below where the death date is given, sorry]  Restoratives were administered but they had no effect, and in a few moments the heart ceased to beat.  Apoplexy was the cause.  JOHN J. FLANAGAN was born in Utica February 10, 1841, and received his early education in the schools of that city.  He learned telegraphy, and did his first work in that line in 1857.  He afterwards worked in Albany and Clyde.  At the breaking out of the war he entered the government service, and became connected with the United Staes Military Telegraph Corps., serving his country faithfully in transmitting messages until the close of the war.  In 1870 he returned to Utica from the west, where he had acquired considerable knowledge as a journalist, and took the city editorship of the Utica Observer, which position he held for four years.  He then became city editor of the Utica Morning Herald, remaining with that journal until 1882, when he returned to the Observer, and remained as city editor of that journal until his death.
     There was no more popular man in the State than John J. Flanagan.  He was kind of heart, generous to a fault, and made hosts of friends wherever he went.  During his career as a journalist he performed some of the best executed pieces of repertorial work ever done.  In his death Utica loses one of its noblest and most public spirited men, and his memory will be long and fondly cherished.  The funeral was held yesterday, and was very largely attended.  (RCMar02/1888)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, March 9, 1888

COLE - At Sauquoit, New York, March 6, 1888, of quick consumption, EDWARD G. COLE, aged 23? years, 9 months and 25 days.  (RCMar09/1888)

CLARK - In New Hartford, New York, March 6?, 1888, GEORGE E., son of Lester E. and Jane E. Clark, aged 31? years and 3? months.  (RCMar09/1888)

ROBERTS - In Marcy, New York, March 7, 1888, OWEN ROBERTS, aged  ?8 years, 7 months and 5? days.  (RCMar09/1888)

BURKHART - In Rome, New York, March 7, 1888, MARY, wife of Philip Burkhart, aged 55 years.  (RCMar09/1888)

MURTY - In Deansville, New York, March 4, 1888, at the residence of her brother, Thomas Murty, MARY A. MURTY.  (RCMar09/1888)

PATTERSON - In Deansville, New York, March 3, 1888, GEORGE, son of Andrew Patterson, aged 22? years and 7 months.  (RCMar09/1888)

McLEAN - In Rome, New York, March 5, 1888, Mrs SARAH M. McLEAN, aged 80 years.
                At the home of her son, James H. McLean, on Floyd avenue, Monday, occurred the death of Mrs. Sarah M. McLean, widow of the late Anson McLean.  Decreased was 80 years of age, and resided in Verona until about four years ago, when she came to this city.  She was a daughter of the late Dr. Alexander Whaley, of Verona, and a sister of the late Dr. James H. Whaley, of this city.  Mrs. McLean was a member of the Episcopal church, and a thorough Christian.  Two children are left -- James H. McLean, of this city, and Mrs. William F. Connelly, of Boston, Mass.  (RCMar09/1888)   [another article in the same paper under Verona news items:]
               Mrs. McLean, an old resident of Verona, and aunt to George Whaley, died Monday, March 5, at the residence of her son, James McLean in Rome, NY.  Remains to be buried in Verona cemetery on March 8th.  (RCMar09/1888)

WOOLEY - Lee Center news item:  Mrs. Lucy Hubbard, of this village, went to Ogdensburg on Wednesday last (March 1, 1888) to see her brother, JOEL WOOLEY, who, she was informed had been sick for some time.  Her son, J. W. Hubbard, has received a dispatch announcing his death since her arrival.  (RCMar09/1888)

YOUNG - ISAAC YOUNG father of Mrs. James A. Thorne died March 6, 1888, at home of his daughter.  He was 88 years old.  (RCMar09/1888)  [following from next weeks'  "Lee NY column items"]
               The funeral services of Mr. Youngs were held at the Valley church last Thursday (March 8, 1888).  Rev. H.A. Harris officiated.  His age was 88 years, and he leaves a large circle of mourning friends.  (RCMar16/1888)

SMITH - CRAGO SMITH, brother-in-law of Mrs. A. Burnham, of this city (Rome, NY) died at his residence in Higginsville a few days ago.  His disease was paralysis of the heart.  The funeral occurred Wednesday. (March 7, 1888)        (RCMar09/1888)

SCHERMERHORN - A. W. SCHERMERHORN died at his home in Kirkland Wednesday, (March 7, 1888) of pneumonia.  (RCMar09/1888)

LARRABEE - Rome, New York. [top of photocopy cut off - this is all I have]  after a long illness with consumption.  When in health, MR. LARRABEE was a telegraph operator by occupation.  He had been a resident of this locality for several years.  His wife survives.  (RCMar09/1888)
           [following  from next week's "notes from Taberg" column:]
               The remains of FRANK A. LARRABEE, who died in the hospital in Rome, were brought here for interment, this being his native place and the residence of his family.  The funeral services were held at St. John's (Catholic) church, and the burial took place in our beautiful Maple Hill cemetery.  (RCMar16/1888)

HUMPHREY - Rome, New York.  DAVID HUMPHREY, a well known contractor and builder of this city, died suddently at his home on North Washington street, at 12:15 A.M. Saturday (March 3, 1888)  The immediate cause of his death was kidney difficulty, although he had not been a well man since nine years ago, when he sustained severe injuries from a fall while working on the Glesmann-Hower block.  His kidneys became affected about two years ago, but he did not give up work until last Thanksgiving.  He could hardly be said to have been confined to his bed at all.  On the day preceeding his death he was about the house, and at 10 o'clock in the evening retired, but owing to difficulty in breathing he arose dressed himself and remained up til midnight.  His age was 67 years.
     Mr. Humphrey was born in Wales, where he learned the mason trade.  At the age of 21 he came to this country and located at Utica.  He subsequently worked in Trenton, and later came to Rome, which has ever since been his home.  He aided in the construction of many of the buildings in this city, and at one time was a partner of the late John J. Parry.  After the latter's death he continued in business for himself.  The Glesmann-Hower block was erected by him, and received his personal supervision.  Though his manner at times was somewhat gruff, he nevertheless possessed a kind heart and enjoyed the respect and esteem of the community.
     Besides the bereaved wife, the following children survive:  Mrs. James McClaren and Miss Belle Humphrey, of this city, Mrs. Nathan D. Bowtell and Misses Maggie and Eva Humphrey of New York.  (RCMar09/1888)

FRENCH - Rome, New York.  If any man needs the sympathy of the community it is Lyman A. French, who resides at 116 River street.  A little over a week ago malignant diphtheria broke out in the family, his wife and 15-months-old child falling victims to the disease.  On Saturday (March 3, 1888) evening the child died, and at noon Monday (March 5, 1888) the mother followed it.  Mrs. French was a daughter of the late Alfred Robbins, of this city, formerly of Floyd.  The deceased had been married a little less than two years, and the grief of the bereaved husband is almost unbearable.  Besides the husband, a mother, a brother and two sisters survive.  (RCMar09/1888)    [see also (RCMar24/1888)-ROBBINS]

SCHNEIBLE - MATTHEW SCHNEIBLE died at his home at Coonrod, New York on Sunday (March 4, 1888).  Dropsy was the cause.  Mr. Schneible had been a resident of this country for thirty years.  He was born in Germany.  His wife and four sons, Valentine and Michael, of New London, and Endock and Paul, of Rome.  Deceased was a brother of Michael and Paul Schneible, of this city.  The funeral occurred at St. Mary's church Monday.  (RCMar09/1888)

ELLIS - Ava, New York.  Last Wednesday (February 29, 1888) afternoon about five o'clock, Mrs ELLIS died after a long illness.  On the first day of February Mr. ELLIS passed away, and at that time it was not expected she could last long; but she continued to linger till the 29th, just four weeks to a day.  Thus in four short weeks this place loses an old and respected couple, whose life in this world was worthy for any person to follow.  The funeral was held at the M. E. church, Rev. J. R. Decker officiating.  At the time of Mr. Ellis' death, no funeral was held on account of the family being sick, so both were held at the same time.  The bearers were the same for both  cases -- Messrs. Countryman, Reynolds, G. Briggs, A. Ruth, G. Vary, and O. P. Tiffany.  The deceased leaves two children to mourn the loss of a kind mother -- Miss Jerusha Ellis and Vhoras Ellis, and one sister, Mrs. Peter Fox, of this place.  Mrs. Ellis was born in Montgomery county, and was one of a family of fourteen children.  She lived to the ripe old age of 73 years, and has seen all of the family buried but Mrs. Fox, who is the only one surviving.  (RCMar09/1888)  [see also (RCFeb03/1888)-ELLIS]

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, March 16, 1888

STRONG - In New Hartford, New York, March 13, 1888, LUCINDA, wife of the late Harvey Strong, in the 71st year of her age.  (RCMar16/1888)

HENDERSON - In Rome, New York, March 12, 1888, WILBERT  S. HENDERSON, aged 42 years.  At 6:15 Monday evening occurred the death of Wilbert S. Henderson, at his home, No. 242 W. Thomas street.  For three years the deceased had been a sufferer from consumption, and for the past year had been confined to his bed nearly all the time.  He was born in Rome and spent all his life here except about four years, when he resided in Olean.  For a number of years he was in the employ of D. L. Ketcham in the harness and saddlery business.  He leaves a wife and three children.  He was a brother of Mrs. D. L. Ketcham and Mrs. Eliza B. Wentworth, of Rome, NY, and Mrs. George Lanphere, of South Bend, Indiana.  Mr. Henderson was a member in good standing in the order of United Friends and also the Royal Templars of Temperance, carrying life insurance policies in both organizations.  HIs family is thus well provided for.  The deceased possessed many friends, who, though they knew he could not survive, nevertheless are saddened because of his demise.  (RCMar16/1888)

PERRY - In Rome, New York, March 13, 1888, Mrs. POLLY PERRY, aged 76 years, widow of the late Paul Perry, died at the residence of her son-in-law, Alfred Boulant, on Calvert street, Tuesday evening.  Her death was caused by erysipelas.  Deceased had long been a resident of Rome.  Two sons and two daughters survive, one of the sons, Philip Perry, residing in this city.  The funeral occurred yesterday at 1 P.M.  (RCMar16/1888)

ROBINSON - In Rome, New York, March 13, 1888, FRED J. ROBINSON, son of Mr. and Mrs. George W. Robinson, in his 6th year.  (RCMar16/1888)    [another notice in the same paper follows:]
               The sympathy of the entire community goes out to Mr. and Mrs. George W. Robinson, whose little son Fred J., aged five years, died at 7 o'clock Tuesday morning.  The little fellow had been ill about two weeks with nervous prostration.  Being of a bright and lovable disposition, he endeared himself to his playmates, and others who called upon his parents.  The devoted father and mother are thrown into the deepest grief.  The funeral occurred at the house, No. 411 W. Court street, at 2 o'clock yesterday.  Rev. James H. Taylor, of the Presbyterian church, officiating.  The remains were interred in Rome cemetery.  (RCMar16/1888)

ROBERTS - At New York Mills, New York, March 10, 1888, MAMIE E., daughter of Thomas and Mary Roberts, aged 5 years and 8 months.  (RCMar16/1888)

VIX - At Clark's Mills, New York, March 10, 1888, FREDERIC VIX, aged 69 years and 11 months.  (RCMar16/1888)

SCHAFER - In New York Mills, New York, March 10, 1888, Mrs SARAH SCHAFER, aged 71 years.  (RCMar16/1888)

BIRGE - In Rome, New York, March 10, 1888, of paralysis, Mrs. FREELOVE BIRGE, aged 69 years, who died at the residence of her son, E. J. Birge, on Kossuth street, had been a resident of this city about a year.  She was born in Whitestown, and nearly her entire life was spent in that town and New Hartford, NY.  (RCMar16/1888)

WILKINSON, News has just been received of the sudden death of ALONZO E. WILKINSON, of Sterling, Illinois.  Mr. Wilkinson was formerly a resident of Lee, New York, but moved to Illinois about 1860, and has resided there ever since.  From what has been learned of his death, we find that on the 28th of February last, about 10 A.M., he was about to start for his farm, as was supposed by his family, and he was not missed until about 8 o'clock in the evening.  Search was made and his horse found harnessed in the barn, and upon continuing the search he was found hanging to a rafter in the same barn.  It was thought by the physicians that he had been hanging there all day.  No reason can be assigned why he should commit so rash an act.  He was wealthy and happy in his domestic relations, and for all that was known enjoyed good health.  (RCMar16/1888)

BURKE - A few weeks since the FAMILY OF DENNIS BURKE, near Canastota, consisted of himself, wife and three children.  Only the mother and one child survive, diphtheria having removed the others.  (RCMar16/1888)

JONES - Rome, New York.  GRIFFITH W. JONES was taken ill with kidney difficulty about the middle of last November, and several times since then had been a death's door.  He rallied, however, and although it had long been known that he could not survive, his death did not occur until 2 P.M. yesterday, and he probably would have rallied again had not hemorrhage of the lungs set in and carried him off.  Mr. Jones was 68 years of age, and was one of our most respected residents.  For a number of years he had been engaged in the clothing business, and all who had transactions with him always found him upright and honorable in all his dealings.  He was born in the town of Steuben, and his early life was spent in that town, Remsen, Trenton and Prospect.  About forty years ago he removed to Westernville and opened a general store, which he conducted for many years.  For the past twenty-five years Mr. Jones had been a resident of this city, and prior to embarking in the clothing business was engaged in the drug and flour and feed trade.  For three years he was a member of our board of education, and he also served a term in the Common Council as alder man from the fourth ward.  He was twice married.  His second wife was a sister of the late John J. Parry.  Besides his wife, the deceased leaves a daughter, Mrs. E. B. Utley, of this city, also two brothers, William W. Jones, of this city, and John O. Jones, of Westernville, and one sister, Mrs. William P. Thomas, of Steuben.  (RCMar16/1888)

DINWIDDIE - Mrs. M. J. DINWIDDIE, formerly of Rome, New York, died at her residence in Orchard Grove, Lake county, Indiana, on the morning of Thursday, March 15, 1888.  She was born on the Perkins homestead, about two miles south of this city, 69 years ago; was married to Mr. Dinwiddie in 1843, and removed to Indiana, where she has since lived, and where her husband died in 1861.  She leaves two sisters, Mrs. C. W. White and Mrs. Chester Wheeler, both of Rome, and five children, all of Indiana.  Her death was sudden and entirely unexpected.  The funeral occurs from her late residence at 1 P.M. Saturday.  (RCMar16/1888)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, March 23, 1888

BUTLER - At Lee Center, New York.  March 15, 1888, Mrs. GERTIE E. BUTLER, wife of James Butler, and only daughter of Henry A. Castle, of Rome, New York, in the 28th year of her age.  (RCMar23/1888)
  [another article under "Lee Center News" in the same paper follows:]
                The funeral of Mrs. Getrude Butler, wife of James Butler of this place occurred on Saturday, and was largely attended.  Her death occurred on the 15th inst., and was caused by pneumonia, with which she was ill but a week.  Her age was 27 years, and she was born in this town.  About ten years ago she removed with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry A. Castle, to Rome, where she resided up to the time of her marriage, five years ago.  Besides her husband and parents, the deceased leaves three small children, two daughters and a son, and a brother, Sherman D. Castle, of Rome.  The early death of the deceased is deeply regreted by her numerous friends.  (RCMar23/1888)

BROWER - At New Hartford, New York, March 16, 1888, Mrs. CATHARINE BROWER, aged 23 years, 10 months and 2 days.  (RCMar23/1888)

TOBIN - In Whitesboro, New York, March 16, 1888, ANRENE, daughter of Thomas and Catharine Tobin, aged 14 years, 11 months and 2 days.  (RCMar23/1888)

TOMPKINS - In Rome, New York, March 16, 1888, of pneumonia, WILLIAM B., son of Bradford and Josephine Tompkins, aged eighteen months.  (RCMar23/1888)

EVANS - In Rome, New York, March 18, 1888, ORA J. EVANS, aged 30 years and 4 months.  The remains will be brought to Annsville and placed in the receiving vault.  (RCMar23/1888)

FOWLER - At South Trenton, New York, March 3, 1888, JESSIE M., only daughter of Allen F. and Emily L. Fowler, in the 13th year of her age.  (RCMar23/1888)

BRONSON - At Clinton, New York, March 17, 1888, ARTHUR W. BRONSON, aged 44 years.  (RCMar23/1888)

GUBBINS - In Rome, New York, at the Spellicy House, March 18, 1888, ALICE E. GUBBINS, aged 17 years, 4 months and 19 days, of Glenmore.  (RCMar23/1888)   [following notice in the "Annsville News Items"]
                Miss Alice Gubbins, who died in Rome, Sunday afternoon, was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Gubbins, of Glenmore.  For the past two or three years she has been attending school in Rome, and at the time of her death was a student at the academy.  Her age was 17 years.  Typhoid fever was the cause of her death.  Besides her parents she leaves five brothers and three sisters, all of whom reside in this town except two of her brothers, James and Joseph, who live in Rome.  (RCMar23/1888)

GETBEHEAD - In Rome, New York, March 19, 1888, of dropsy and heart disease, Mrs. ELIZABETH GETBEHEAD, wife of Christian Getbehead, aged 82 years.  (RCMar23/1888)
                  [see also (RCMar30/1888)-GETBEHEAD]

DUNN - At Deansville, New York, March 18, 1888, JENNIE  LAING, wife of Frank Dunn, of malignant diptheria.  (RCMar23/2888)

BELKNAP - In Osceola, New York, March 12, 1888, ELIZA BELKNAP, relict of the late John Belknap, aged 82 years and 5 months.  (RCMar23/1888)

BURLISON - In Jersey City, March 18, 1888, after a lingering illness, S. DELIA BURLISON, daughter of Miles and Hester Ann Burlison.  (RCMar23/1888)

BANGS - In Flint, Michigan, March 17, 1888, DWIGHT F. BANGS, for more than forty years a resident of Clinton, Oneida county, NY, aged 82 years.  (RCMar23/1888)

MARKLEY - Annsville, New York.  A most distressing accident occurred about five miles north of here last Monday (March 19, 1888) morning.  John and ALBERT MARKLEY, sons of Nicholas Markley, went to the woods where they were working, and while John was cutting down a tree some six inches through, Albert was engaged in trimming one that had been felled last Saturday, some feet west.  John expected that his tree would fall to the east, but it lodged against the limb of another tree, and when it was cut loose from the stump swung around, and Albert, in trying to escape, broke through the crust, and the tree struck him on the head.  John's calls brought assistance, and an attempt was made to take the injured man home.  He was unconscious and breathed his last before they reached his home.  He was 19 years old last September.  This sad accident has affected the entire community, as Albert was beloved by all who knew him for his many good and manly qualities.  His parents, three sisters and one brother survive, on whom this bereavement falls with crushing force.  Funeral services to-day (Wednesday, March 21, 1888) at the church at Glenmore, conducted by Rev. D. W. Alysworth.  The inquest was held by Coroner Millington, and after a careful examination, decided that death was caused by concussion of the brain, the result of the blow from the falling tree.  (RCMar23/1888)

GFELLERS - Point Rock, New York.  The funeral of Mrs. GFELLERS occurred at the Dutch Reform church yesterday (March 19, 1888).  There was a large attendance.  Deceased was eighty-six years old, and had been feeble for some time.  She resided with her son, Benjamin Gfeller's on this place, for a number of years.  (RCMar23/1888)

BRAINARD - [published in the Roman Citizen paper, an article from the following Grafton paper:]
               "Died at Grafton, Illinois, February 15, 1888, JEREMIAH B. BRAINARD, aged 84 years.  He was married to Laura Gates of Verona, New York, in 1835.  She died in Rome, New York, in 1853.  Six children were born to them, four of whom are now living:  Samuel G., of St. Louis; Charles and David, of Grafton, and Mrs. Sara E. Phillips, of Fitchburg, Mass.  The deceased was well known and highly respected in Rome, where he resided for nearly 68 years.  He has resided in Grafton since 1880, where he made many friends.  He attended church regularly, and took an interest in such affairs.  At the time of his death he was the oldest citizen living in this part of the country."  Mr. Brainard was a brother of the late Morgan and Hamilton Brainard, of Rome.  He was a man of strict integrity and very benevolent at heart.  (RCMar23/1888)  [see also (RCAug23/1878)-BRAINARD]

ROBBINS - Rome, New York.  Miss OLIVE ROBBINS, aged 16, after an illness of about two weeks with diphtheria, died at the home of her mother, Mrs. Alfred Robbins, on Madison street, Friday (March 16, 1888) afternoon.  Deceased was a sister of Mrs. L. A. French, who recently died with the same disease, and was visiting at the latter's house when Mrs. Frnech was taken sick.  Besides her mother, a brother and sister survive:  Henry A. Robbins, of Kuko, Kansas, and Mrs. Charles Shattuck, of Rome, New York.  The funeral, which was a private one, occurred Saturday afternoon.  (RCMar23/1888)   [see also (RCMar09/1888)-FRENCH]

ROGERS - LEWIS ROGERS, of Walesville, was run over by a west bound passenger train, on the West Shore road, just east of Clark's Mills, New York, Wednesday (March 21, 1888) evening.  A freight train was standing on the siding, and the engineer noticed that a man was walking on the track of the passenger train just before it passed.  He shouted a warning, but it was unheeded, and the man was struck and killed.  Rogers was about 40 years old and leaves a wife and two children.  He was a carpenter by trade.  The body was thrown clear from the track into a snow bank.  There was an ugly gash in the head, but aside from that his body was not mutilated.  (RCMar23/1888)

TUFTS - The four-year-old daughter of John K. Tufts, formerly of Rome, New York but now of Brooklyn, died recently.  (RCMar23/1888)

MAHAN - MATTHEW MAHAN, of 206 Harrison street, Rome, NY, while walking on the tracks of the New York Central railroad Sunday (March 18, 1888) afternoon, on his way to the Locomotive Works, was struck by the shifting engine, and so badly injured that he died early Monday (March 19, 1888) morning.  The accident occurred just east of the Second street crossing.  As soon as it was discovered that Mr. Mahan had been hit, several of the men in the vicinity took him to the city hospital, where Drs. Flandrau, West, and H. C. Sutton examined his injuries, which were found to consist of his right leg crushed near the ankle, several ribs broken and his head and face badly bruised and cut.  As there was no chance for the injured man to survive, although he retained consciousness, the physicians alleviated his sufferings so far as possible, and did not undertake an operation.
     Mr. Mahan had been a resident of Rome and vicinity for about eighteen years, and had been employed as trackman on the R.W. & O., N.Y.C., and Ontario & Western railroads respectively.  His age was 38 years.  His mother, Mrs. James Mahan, a brother and two sisters survive.  (RCMar23/1888)

COWLES - GEORGE  O. COWLES, a well known business man of Utica, New York, shot himself fatally, with suicidal intent, at East Saginaw, Michigan, yesterday.  He had been out of health for some time, and it is thought he became despondent because of it.  His wife, who is an invalid, and one daughter survive.  (RCMar23/1888)

WILLETT - MARY A. WILLETT, aged  22, formerly of Waterville, New York, where her parents reside, died in Albany a few days ago from effects of a criminal operation performed by a quack doctor.  (RCMar23/1888)

CLARK - EZRA CLARK, a former resident of Rome, New York, died at the house of Addison Brill, in Ilion, NY, yesterday morning, aged 67 years.  Mr. Clark at one time owned Riverside Park.  (RCMar23/1888)

MILLER - Ava, NY news item:  Last Saturday (March 17, 1888) evening Jacob Miller had a telephone dispatch from Buffalo, New York informing him of the death of his oldest brother.  (RCMar23/1888)

ROCKWELL - Ava, New York.  Death is reaping its harvest in this place this winter among the old people.  Last Tursday (March 15, 1888) evening, as Mrs. DAVID ROCKWELL, with assistance of her daughter, was preparing for bed, she complained of feeling faint, and before her daughter could call help from an adjoining room, she died.  Mrs. Rockwell's age was 72 years, 11 months and 18 days.  She was a good neighbor and had a host of friends in this place.  She leaves one son, Penn Rockwell, and two daughters, Mrs. N. C. Vary and Lydia Rockwell, all of this place; also one brother, D. Markham, of Constableville.  The funeral services were held Sunday (March 18, 1888) at the house, Rev. J. R. Decker officiating.  The nephews acted as bearers.  The remains were buried in the Ava cemetery beside her husband.  (RCMar23/1888)

DORRITY - Mrs HUGH DORRITY, aged 68 years, died at North Western, New York, last Friday (March 16, 1888).  The remains were taken to Boonville, New York, on Monday for interment.  (RCMar23/1888)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, March 30, 1888

FRASER - In Rome, New York, March 22, 1888, Dr. CHARLES E. FRASER, Sr., in his 74th year.  (RCMar30/1888)

LEWIS - In Steuben, New York, March 22, 1888, M. ELIZABETH LEWIS, daughter of L. J. and Mary E. Lewis, aged 19 years, 11 months and 27 days.  (RCMar30/1888)  [another article in same paper follows:]
               Miss Lizzie Lewis of Steuben, who has been sick with consumption for a year or more, died last Thursday evening, at the age of 19 years, 11 months and 27 days.  She was buried on her birthday at Steuben Corners.  She was graduated in the class of '85 in the academic course at Holland Patent, and also the class of '87 from Albany State normal school that fitted her for the profession of a teacher.  Teaching only one term, she was obliged to quit and remain at home for her health.  She leaves a father and mother and two brothers younger than herself, and also a large number of friends to mourn their loss.  (RCMar30/1888)

SPENCER - In Rome, New York, March 28, 1888, at the home of her brother-in-law, G. A. Harrington, SARAH A. SPENCER.  (RCMar30/1888)

BRONSON - At Clinton, New York, March 27, 1888, PHOEBE C., relict of Dr. Garrett I. Bronson, aged 76 years.  (RCMar30/1888)

CAULDWELL - In Whitesboro, New York, March 28, 1888, MARY, daughter of Mary J. and the late Cornelius Cauldwell.  (RCMar30/1888)

HOWELL - At New York Mills, New York, March 27, 1888, MARY ANNA, wife of Ellis Howell.  (RCMar30/1888)

EARL - New York city news item:  Capt. TOM EARL, of Kirkland, Onondaga county, NY, died suddenly last week of pneumonia.  Only a week before his death we met him on Broad street and talked half an hour, discussing canal matters.  I agreed to furnish him some documents he desired, and on going to see him, was told the "grim monster" had set his seal upon him and marked him for his own.  (RCMar30/1888)

BROWN - Vienna, New York.  The youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Brown died Tuesday of congestion of the stomach.  Interment took place at Fish Creek cemetery.  Mr. and Mrs. Brown have the sympathy of the entire community.  (RCMar30/1888)

GETBEHEAD - Rome, New York.  CHRISTIAN GETBEHEAD died at the home of his son, Louis Getbehead, Tuesday (March 26, 1888) morning, aged 72 years.  Mrs. Getbehead died March 19, and the deceased contracted a severe cold on the day of her funeral, which developed into pneumonia, causing his death.  Mr. Getbehead was born in Germany, but for the past forty years has been a resident of this city.  Besides the son, one daughter survives -- Mrs. Henry Blanch of Mantorville, Minnesota.  (RCMar30/1888)
                    [see also (RCMar23/1888)-GETBEHEAD]

O'NEIL - Rome, New York.  JAMES O'NEIL, who died at his home on Lawrence street Saturday, (March 24, 1888) had been a resident of this city for fifteen years, and for the greater portion of the time was employed in the Merchant-Iron Mill.  His funeral occurred Tuesday.  The Hiberian society, of which he was a member, attended in a body.  Mr. O'Neil was 57 years of age.  (RCMar30/1888)

FREEMAN - Mrs. PETER FREEMAN died at her home in Mohawk, New York, Monday (March 26, 1888).  She was the mother of J. W. Freeman, of Rome, New York.  (RCMar30/1888)

MATTHEWS - A Peculiar Complication.
            Some fifteen years ago Edwin W. H. Cooper married Miss Susan Mitchell at Hartford, Conn., and after living with her about four years, he became despondent over business troubles and disappeared, and for eleven years the wife has supposed that her husband had committed suicide, and mourned him as dead.  Several years ago Mrs. Cooper came to Rome, New York, to live with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. S. W. Mitchell, who had previously removed here.  Mrs. Cooper and her little girl soon made many friends, among whom was JARED MATTHEWS, of Stanwix, whom Mrs. Cooper married.  About a year ago Mr. Matthews died, and a month ago the widow married Anthony Niles, a respectable gentleman, also residing near Stanwix.  During the past week statements have appeared in several newspapers to the effect that Mrs. Mitchell, mother of Mrs. Niles, had received telegrams from a man signing himself Edwin W. H. Cooper and saying that he was engaged in business in Brooklyn and was anxious to know the whereabouts of his wife.  A reporter of the Citizen called upon Mrs. Mitchell yesterday and asked her if the story that had been published was true, but the lady was non-commital, and the only reply received to several questions was simply, "I don't know."  When asked if she wished to correct any of the statements made, she was as dumb as an oyster, but finally, in the course of conversation, remarked that she couldn't see why the matter should get into the papers anyway.  She said she did not know whether Cooper was in town or not.
     Mrs. Niles is a highly respectable lady, and should it turn out that her first husband is living, a very peculiar complication will arise.  (RCMar30/1888)  [see also (RCJun17/1887)-MATTHEWS]

BURKE - Rome, New York.  About a year ago FRED BURKE, an adopted son of Harvey Elmer, of Vernon, came to this city, and for some time past was employed in Windelspecht & Smith's livery.  About two weeks ago he took a commercial traveler to Florence, and during the trip he contracted a severe cold, which developed into typhoid pneumonia, and on Monday of last week (March 19, 1888) he was taken to the hospital for treatment.  Although he had careful nursing and medical attention, he died Tuesday afternoon (March 27, 1888).  His age was 22 years.  His parents reside at Peterboro, Madison county, New York.  (RCMar30/1888)

WHITE - Taberg, New York.  Mrs. WHITE, mother of Peter and Chauncey White, died Monday (March 26, 1888) night at the home of her son Peter.  She was 88 years old, and probably died of old age.  (RCMar30/1888)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, April 6, 1888

BROCKETT, In Westmoreland, April 2, 1888, ALBERT G. BROCKETT.  (RCApr06/1888)

SCHLEE - In Rome, New York, April 2, 1888, ARTHUR SCHLEE, son of Christopher and Emma Schlee, aged 7 years and 7 months.  (RCApr06/1888)  [another article in the same paper:]
           Arthur Schlee, aged seven an a half years, son of Christopher Schlee, of 739 Dominick street, met with a terrible death Monday afternoon.  He and some companions were playing about the Wood creek bridge on Liberty street, when he saw a large cake of floating ice in the creek.  He proposed that they take a ride on it.  His companions refused, but Arthur sprang lightly upon the cake.  Venturing near the edge, the ice broke letting him into the water, which was running swiftly at that point.  He was carried under the bridge, and before help could reach him he had passed under a large body of ice.  After nearly three quarters of an hour hard work, several gentlemen, who had responded to the call for help, succeeded in cutting away the ice and finding the body.  Coroner Millington impaneled a jury, consisting of the following gentlemen.  Daniel Hager, George Collins, Louis Glesmann, O. D. Williams, William M. Beeman, J. S. Mowrey, Aaron N. Bailey, Anton Raffauf, L. Campbell.  A verdict of accidental death was rendered.  (RCApr06/1888)

BENSNYDER, In Rome, New York, April 2, 1888, of pneumonia, JOHN BENSNYER, aged 18 years, 11 months and 9 days.   (RCApr06/1888)  [also another article in same paper:]
          Death of a Young Printer.  John BenSnyder, Jr., who for the past three years had been employed in the Sentinel office, was taken ill with a severe cold two weeks ago to-day.  He was compelled to leave his cases, and was soon confined to his home.  Despite the efforts of physicians, parents and friends his cold developed into acute pneumonia, which caused his death at 1:30 P. M. Monday. (April 2, 1888)  Mr. BenSnyder was 19 years of age, and possessed so cheerful and accommodating a disposition that he made friends rapidly.  He was a great lover of sports and society, and his prescence was always necessary to make social gatherings of his friends successes.  He was a son of John BenSnyder, of 710 N. George street, and leaves besides his parents, one brother and two sisters -- Fred BenSnyder and Mrs. John McGuinness, of Rome, NY, and Mrs. Charles Stadt, of Utica, NY.  The funeral, which occurred yesterday afternoon, was largely attended despite the inclement weather.  (RCApr06/1888)

ISENECKER - In Rome, New York, March 29, 1888, Miss CAROLINE ISENECKER, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Isenecker, aged 25 years.  (RCApr06/1888)

DEALING - In Rome, New York, March 30, 1888, CORA B. DEALING, wife of William G. Dealing, aged 20 years and 10 months.  (RCApr06/1888)

PALMER - In Frankfort, New York, March 30, 1888, MARCUS PALMER, husband of Delia Perry, formerly of Rome, New York, aged 38 years.  (RCApr06/1888)

SPIGER - In North Bridgewater, New York, of billious fever, March 31, 1888, EVERETT L. SPICER, aged 38 years.  (RCApr06/1888)

BARROWS - At Clinton, New York, March 30, 1888, LOUISA M. BARROWS, at the residence of her brother, Dr. F. M. Barrows.  (RCApr06/1888)

EVANS - Holland Patent, New York.  Mrs. JANE C. EVANS, widow of the late Owen W. Evans, died last Monday (April 2, 1888) at the residence of her son-in-law, G. W. Park, aged 74.  She had several strokes of paralysis, and was ill a long time.  The funeral occurs to-morrow.  (RCApr06/1888)

SHAW - Taberg, New York.  Pardon Shaw received news to-day of the death of his brother JESSE, who lived at Medina, Orleans county, and has gone to attend the funeral.  (RCApr06/1888) [following from the next week's paper]
               Pardon Shaw and wife returned to-day (April 11, 1888) from attending his brother's funeral at Medina, Orleans Co.  His brother, Comfort Shaw, of St. Charles, Kane county, Illinois, accompanied them home to make them a visit.  His brother's death was very sudden, the particulars of which we clip from the Medina Tribune of April 5.  "With sadness we record the death of Jesse Shaw, which took place at his home on Park avenue, Monday (April 2, 1888) evening at 8 o'clock.  Mr. Shaw had not been in good health for some time, and for two days had been more than usually unwell.  On Monday afternoon he walked down street, called up his physician, obtained some medicine, and returned home suffering greatly, and while sitting in his chair suddenly passed away with disease of the heart.  He was 65 years of age.  He leaves besides his widow three sons and four daughters.  He had been a consistent member of the M.E. church for 30 years, and enjoyed the respect and esteem of all who knew him.  (RCApr13/1888)

ROSA - Taberg, New York.  MOSES ROSA, one of the oldest inhabitants of the western part of this town died this morning. (April 5, 1888)  He was about 75 or 80 years old.  He had no particular disease, but died of old age.  The remains will be buried at McConnellsville.  (RCApr06/1888)

CHAPMAN - Taberg, New York.  Mrs. LAVINA CHAPMAN, wife of George Chapman, died at her home yesterday April 4, 1888) of pneumonia, after only one week's illness, aged 49 years.  The family upon whom this blow falls with crushing force have the sympathy of the entire community in which they live.  (RCApr06/1888)

MURPHY - Taberg, New York. Mrs. MARY MURPHY died Monday (April 2, 1888) morning of pneumonia at the home of David Barry.  She was the widow of Thomas Murphy, who was a member of the 81st Regiment N. Y. Volunteers, and lost his life in one of the battles of the rebellion.  She was a daughter of Cornelius Daley.  She was 55 years old, and leaves two sons and two daughters, who mourn the loss of a loving mother.  Funeral services were held to-day, and the remains were taken to Annsville for burial.  (RCApr06/1888)

BECKWITH - Taberg, New York.  Yesterday (April 4, 1888) Mrs. Beckwith received a dispatch stating that her son ALANSON BECKWITH, had been found dead on the railroad track a few miles beyond Watertown, and his brother-in-law,  Mart Owens, started immediately for that place, and returned to-day with the mangled remains, which were placed in the receiving vault.  The accident occurred near Keene's Station.  Mr. Beckwith had been employed in the Caledonia iron mines about a year.  It is said he went to Gouverneur Monday (April 2, 1888) to pay the fine of his friend Edward Stanton, who had been under arrest for drunkenness.  Both returned to Keene's at 6 P.M. that day, and remained until eight o'clock, when they started for their boarding place near the mines, and it was while on his way thither that Mr. Beckwith met his horrible death.  A coroner's inquest was held, and the jury rendered a verdict completely exonerating the railroad company, and ascribing the death to Mr. Beckwith's own carelessness.  (RCApr06/1888)

LEWIS - Holland Patent, New York item.  Miss LIZZIE LEWIS, of Steuben, who has been ill of plumonary consumption several months, died Thursday, (March 22, 1888) in her twentieth year.  The funeral occurred on Monday (March 26, 1888).  She was a graduate of our union school, and was very popular with all classes of people.  (RCApr06/1888)

PERRY - THOMAS PERRY, father of T. W. and F. J. Perry, died at his home in Churchville Saturday. (March 31, 1888)  His age was 80 years, nearly all of which time he resided in the town of Verona, New York, having removed there with his parent from Rhode Island when very young.  For the past ten years he had been unable to leave his house, because of rheumatism.  About two weeks ago he was attacked by congestion of the lungs, resulting in his death.  In his earlier years, besides conducting the farm, he devoted a considerable portion of his time to surveying.  For many years he was a deason of the Baptist church at Churchville, and was a true and consistant Christian.  Besides the sons named above, one other son and a daughter survive -- Orrin A. Perry, of Ithaca, and Mrs. Charles Marson, of Brookfield.  (RCApr06/1888)

MITCHELL - Mrs. ESTHER MITCHELL, widow of the late William S. Mitchell and mother of Mrs. A. Niles os Stanwix, died at her home, No. 808 West Whitesboro street, Rome, New York, early Wednesday (April 4, 1888) morning.  Mrs. Mitchell was 72 years of age.  Tuesday night she retired in her usual health, but she awoke about 3 A.M. complaining of feeling ill, and in half an hour she breathed her last.  Deceased was a faithful Christian woman and a member of the First M. E. church.  During her fifteen years residence in this city she has made many friends, who are pained to hear of her sudden death.  Besides the daughter mentioned, one son, Fred M. Mitchell, of St. Louis, Mo., one daughter, Mrs. F. A. Fenton, of Texarkana, Ark., and one sister, Mrs. Susan Scoville, the latter being with her at the time of her death.  (RCApr06/1888)

SHARP - JACOB SHARP, died at 9:30 last evening, at his late residence, 254 West Twenty-third street, New York city.  His two daughters, Mr. Filles, and his grandson, George Sharp, were present.  Dr. Loomis and his son did not arrive till shortly after Mr. Sharp's death.  Mr. Sharp grew gradually weaker during the evening and had several fits of coughing and convulsions.  Shortly before 9 o'clock he had another and more serious attack.  Dr. Loomis was not there, and little could be done for the dying man.  He struggled hard, but his vitality could endure the strain no longer and at 9:30 he departed.  (RCApr06/1888)

SMITH - Vernon Center, New York item:  The funeral of Mrs. BENJAMIN SMITH was largely attended here on Wednesday (March 28, 1888) of last week.  (RCApr06/1888)

HURLBUT - Delta, New York.  HATTIE HURLBUT, only child of Henry Hurlbut, died at the residence of her father last Thursday, (March 29, 1888) after a lingering illness.  The funeral was held Saturday at the residence, Rev S. Dewey officiating.  Her mother died about evleven months ago.  (RCApr06/1888)  [see also (RCMay06/1887)-HURLBUT]

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, April 13, 1888

DOYLE - In Rome, New York, Tuesday, April 10, 1888, LAWRENCE DOYLE, aged 52 years.  He was for many years a resident of Rome, and died at his home on Armstrong avenue.  He was in the employ of the late Enoch Armstrong for ten years, and for over twenty years in that of the late John Stryker.  (RCApr13/1888)

GAHEEN - In Rome, New York, April 8, 1888, LAWRENCE GAHEEN, in his 57th year.  (RCApr13/1888)
              Lawrence Gaheen was born in County Wexford, Ireland, 56 years ago.  There he received an early education, attending the same school with John Kelly, who for many years has been associated with him in the brewing business in this city.  In 1850 he and Mr. Kelly emigrated to this country, Mr. Gaheen going to Canada, and Mr. Kelly coming to Rome.  At the end of three years Mr. Gaheen came here and went to work for George Hammill as a farm hand at $10 per month.  While in the employ of Mr. Hammill, he acquired the knowledge of book-keeping.  Later he went west, but returned in about a year and formed a co-partnership with Mr. Hammill in the farm and milk business.  In 1858, Messrs Hammill, Gaheen, and Kelley purchased the property at the corner of Depeyster street and the Erie canal, and started a brewery.  This they conducted for a few years, when fire destroyed the buildings.  These were replaced by the present brick structures.  At about this time Mr. Hammill withdrew from the firm, and for nearly thirty years Messrs. Kelly & Gaheen have conducted the business together, and probably between no partners has pleasanter relations existed for so many years than between these two gentlemen.  Several years ago they purchased the block in which the Citizen office is located, and the proprietors of this paper always found Mr. Gaheen, who had charge of the property, an honorable and agreeable landlord.
     A little over a year ago Mr. Gaheen commenced to suffer with kidney difficulty, which grew upon him and finally developed into Bright's disease.  Last summer he took a change of scene and air, but the relief experienced was only temporary.  During the past winter, he has suffered continually, but continued to attend to business until March 27, when he gave up and took to his house.  He, however, was able to be about and transact some business until the evening of April 5, when he was compelled to take to his bed, from which he never arose.  He died on Sunday, at 6 P.M.
     Lawrence Gaheen was always respected by his fellow men, and for six terms he represented the second ward of this city in the board of supervisors.  In politics he was a strong Democrat, and any duty he undertook to perform he did it faithfully and well.
     Besides the wife, five children survive, Francis F., Simon P., George, Lizzie and Alice Gaheen, all of whom reside at home.
     The funeral occurred at the house, No. 203 E. Whitesboro street, Wednesday at 9:30 A.M., and at St. Peter's church at 10 o'clock.   (RCApr13/1887)

AGAN - At New York Mills, New York, April 8, 1888, GEORGE P. AGAN, aged 23 years, 5 months and 28 days.  (RCApr13/1888)

KARLEY - In Rome, New York, April 10, 1888, of heart disease, MARGARET, wife of Ferdinand Karley, aged 54 years.  (RCApr13/1888)

BEGG - In Willowvale, New York, April 10, 1888, BRIDGET BEGG, in her 65th year.  (RCApr13/1888)

DAVIS - At Trenton, New York, April 8, 1888, Mrs. ELIZABETH DAVIS, wife of David M. Davis, aged ?? years.  (RCApr13/1888)

HALSTEAD - Vienna, New York.  GEORGE W. HALSTEAD died at his residence near this village Tuesday, April 3, 1888, aged 66 years.  Funeral was held Friday at 1 P.M., Rev. E. Everett officiating.  Mr. Halstead has been a lifelong resident of this place, and leaves a large circle of friends to mourn.  He leaves a wife, a son, E. G. Halstead, and two daughters, Mrs. A. Covell, and Miss Flora Halstead, all of this place.  The bereaved family have the sympathy of the entire community.  (RCApr13/1888)

HICKOX - Vienna, New York.  Mrs. SCOVA HICKOX, died Sunday (April 8, 1888) evening after a long and painful illness of consumption, aged 64 years.  Funeral was held at the M.E. church Wednesday at 10 o'clock.  Interment took place at Munnsville, where she formerly resided.  She leaves a husband and three children, a daughter, Mrs. W. H. Carnrite of McConnellsville, two sons, Remington B. Hickox, of Munnsville, who has been very attentive through her entire illness, and Carlton Hickox, of Syracuse.  (RCApr13/1888)

JOHNSON - Lee, New York.  Mr. JOHNSON, father of Abner Johnson was buried Friday (April 6, 1888) afternoon.  L. H. Link officiated in the absence of Rev. H. A. Harris, who was at conference.  Interment in the Valley cemetery.  (RCApr13/1888)

RAIN - Lee, New York.  WILLIAM RAIN died suddenly Saturday, (April 7, 1888) in the 83d year of his age.  He was born in England, but came to America in 1830, and for 43 years resided at Oriskany.  He then moved to Camden and there resided until his death.  The funeral occurred Tuesday, and the remains were taken to Oriskany for interment.  (RCApr13/1888)

ROGERS - Mrs. PATIENCE L. ROGERS, widow of Joseph Rogers, formerly of North Western, died of pneumonia at the residence of her son-in-law, Peter Miller, in Herkimer, New York on Monday (April 9, 1888) afternoon, aged 82 years.  Mrs. Rogers was a daughter of George L. Clark, an early settler of the town of Western, where she was born.  She lived on the farm where her father settled until two years ago, when she went to Herkimer.  She leaves five children:  John, Frank and Letler? Rogers, Mrs. Catherine Miller and Mrs. Martin Hawkins.  The funeral services will be held in the M.E. church in North Western on Thursday at 1 P.M., and the interment will take place in the cemetery there.  (RCApr13/1888)

WIGGINS - Westernville, New York.  GEORGE WIGGINS, died at his residence, about one mile west of this village, on Friday (April 6, 1888) evening, aged 75 years.  He was buried Tuesday, Rev. S. Dewey officiating.  Mr. Wiggins was a lifelong resident of the town of Western, having been born and lived in the house where he died.  He was universally respected.  Some time since, while in Rome, he fell on the ice, striking on the back of his head.  Before he fully recovered from the injury, he was stricken with parlysis in the left side, which was a little over two weeks ago.  He gradually failed until he died.  He was a son of Jacob Wiggins, one of the early settlers of Western, having removed from Stillwater, Saratoga county, about 1795. The deceased was a farmer all his life, and was honest and upright in all his dealings, and had acquired quite a competency.  One sister, Mrs. Bradley, who resides near Perry Center, Genesee county, New York, survives.  (RCApr13/1888)

KNOX - JOHN R. KNOX, father of Mrs. Joseph Porter, of Rome, New York, died at the city hospital Monday (April 9, 1888) evening.  For several years Mr. Knox was a resident of Rome, but for a few years past he has been engaged in business in several places, his last work being at Matteawan, Dutchess county.  Much of his time was spent in superintending the construction of public works, bridges, etc.  While suffering with a cold he came to Rome last week.  He was soon taken with dropsy, which caused his death.  His deceased wife was a sister of the late A. J. Sink.  The following children survive:  Mrs. Stella K. Paul, Jackson, Michigan; Misses Phena and Carrie Knox, Detroit, Michigan, and Mrs. Joseph Porter, Rome, NY.  (RCApr13/1888)
        [another notice in the same paper:]
               Miss Lottie Knox, of Detroit, Michigan was called here by the death of her father, John R. Knox.

O'CONNOR - In the case of Mary O'Connor and ano. against Thomas Byrnes, George Lawler et al., which was an action to recover damages for the death of JAMES O'CONNOR in the station house fire in November, 1885, the jury rendered a verdict last Friday (April 6, 1888) in favor of plaintiff for $1,000 as against defendants Byrnes and Lawler, the other defendants having previously been non-suited.  The judge granted a stay of proceeding pending a hearing for a new trial.  It is said Messrs. Brynes and Lawler will endeavor to involve the city on the ground that they were at the time on duty as the city's servants.  (RCApr13/1888)

GOODSELL - Mrs. MARY GOODSELL, mother of L. B. Goodsell, died at the home of her son, in Bartlett, New York, yesterday morning.  Her age was 90 years.  Her funeral occurs to-morrow at 10:30 A.M.  (RCApr13/1888)

WOODARD - Delta, New York  news item:  Mrs. ALMIRA Z. WOODARD, while visiting her nephew, Albert Smith at New Berlin, New York, was stricked with paralysis March 26th, and remained unconscious until March 28, 1888, when she died.  Had she lived until the 14th of April, she would have been 77 years of age.  She was a sister of the late Schuyler E. E. Smith, of this place.  Being of an amiable, loving disposition, with always a pleasant word for everybody, she made many lifelong friends, who will be saddened to hear of her sudden demise.  (RCApr13/1888)

LOREN - The friends of WILLIAM LOREN, a farmer residing near Lee Line, were greatly shocked to learn of his death, which occurred in Amenia, Dutchess county, last Saturday. (April 7, 1888)  The funeral of his half-brother, EDWARD KINNEY, occurred at that place on March 22nd, and Mr. Loren went to attend it.  On the 25th he was attacked with pneumonia which soon did its deadly work.  The remains arrived in Rome, Monday morning.  His wife and son survive.  Deceased was highly respected by his neighbors and acquaintances.  (RCApr13/1888)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, April 20, 1888

McCARTHY - In Rome, New York, April 17, 1888, of pleurisy, Mrs. MARY McCARTHY, wife of Patrick McCarthy, aged 60 years.  (RCApr20/1888)

BISHOP - At Minneapolis, Minn., April 15, 1888, ACHSAH BISHOP, wife of the late Thomas Bishop, of Deansville, New York, in the 77th year of her age.  (RCApr20/1888)

BOSWORTH - In Rome, New York, on April 17, 1888, D. N. BOSWORTH, in the 72d year of his age.  (RCApr20/1888)  [another article in same paper, follows:]
               Daniel N. Bosworth, father of Mrs. William Kuhn, died at the residence of Mr. Kuhn, Tuesday evening.  His age was 72 years, and his death was caused by kidney trouble.  A fall down stairs a few weeks ago so shocked his system that his death was hastened thereby.  Mr. Bosworth was born in Lewis county, but afterward removed to Northampton, Mass., with his parents.  In 1819 he came to Rome and engaged in teaming.  Subsequently he purchased a marble shop and conducted that business until 1854, when he took a position as passenger conductor on the Rome & Watertown R. R., remaining with the company in that capacity till 1879, when his health compelled him to relinquish that occupation.  In 1880 he went to Dakota, and remained till 1885, when he returned to Rome, and here he resided until his death.  He leaves two daughters -- Mrs. John N. Tilden, of Poughkeepsie, and Mrs. Dr. Kuhn, of Rome.  The funeral occurred yesterday afternoon.  (RCApr20/1888)

BASTOW - At New York Mills, New York, April 18, 1888, HENRY BASTOW, aged 68 years, 7 months and 7 days.  (RCApr20/1888)

OLIN - At Coleman's Mills, New York, April 18, 1888, WILLIAM OLIN, formerly of Marcy, aged 80 years, 10 months and 7 days.  (RCApr20/1888)

DEE - In Rome, New York, April 14, 1888, JOHN DEE, aged 22 years.  (RCApr20/1888)

BUDLONG - In Cassville, New York, April 13, 1888, ABEL BUDLONG, in his 67th year.  (RCApr20/1888)

FAHY - In Deerfield, New York, April 11, 1888, ANN, relict of the late Thomas Fahy, and mother of Miss Maggie Moore, of Utica, aged 66 years.

DRAPER - In Floyd, New York, April 12, 1888, of erysipelas, at the residence of her son, A. C. Draper, Mrs. BETSEY DRAPER, aged 78 years, 3 months and 6 days.  (RCApr20/1888)  [following article in same paper:]
               Mrs. Betsy Draper died at the residence of her son, A. C. Draper, in Floyd, last Thursday, of erysipelas, aged 78 years, 3 months and 6 days.  The funeral took place from the Baptist church here on Saturday afternoon, her pastor officiating.  Sixty years ago she joined the Floyd Baptist church, now extinct.  For many years she was a devoted member of the Baptist church here.  She belonged to a family of thirteen children, six of whom survive her, namely:  Mrs. Lydia Clark and Mrs. Calista Cotes, of Floyd, Mrs. Cornelia Langdon, of Clark's Mills, Mrs. Lois Barnes, of Mobile, Ala., Mrs. Mary Alden, of Ohio, and Isaac S. Clark, of Nebraska.  She leaves three children -- Asa C. Draper, Mrs. Sophia Booth, and Mrs. Sarah Roberts.  (RCApr20/1888)

TOWLE - At Warren, Pa., April 11, 1888, DRUSILLAH H., wife of H. L. Towle, and elder sister of Mrs. T. H. Pond, of Rome, and Mrs. J. B. Cushman, of Utica, NY.  (RCApr20/1888)

MANKTELOW - At her home in Westmoreland, New York, April 13, 1888, Mrs. ELIZABETH MANKTELOW, aged 79 years and 4 months.  (RCApr20/1888)

HURLBUT - JOHN HURLBUT, for 61 years a resident of Rome, New York, died at his home at Stanwix, Sunday. (April 15, 1888)  Mr. Hurlbut was 70 years of age.  At the age of nine he came to Oneida county from Connecticut.  Some fifteen years ago, he suffered a stroke of paralysis, from which he never fully recovered.  During the past two years he had been confined wholly to his house, and to his bed since last fall.  Mr. Hurlbut was highly respected in the community in which he lived.  He was the father of DeWitt C. Hurlbut and Mrs. Ephraim England, of Rome, and John Hurlbut, of Boonville, who, with the bereaved wife, survive.  (RCApr20/1888)

BESSEE - In Rome, New York, April 16, 1888, HARRIET E. BESSEE, aged 25 years.  (RCApr20/1888)
          [another article in same paper:]
               Faded Away.  At the residence of R. A. Putnam, on North James street, in this city, early Monday morning, occurred the death of Miss Harriet E. Bessee, sister of Mrs. Putnam.  Miss Bessee was born in Bartlett 25 years ago, and was a daughter of the late Ephraim Bessee.  In early girlhood she developed a taste for study, and from that time till she became a young lady she diligently applied herself to the acquiring of knowledge.  She taught several terms in the Dix district, and afterward took a course in the Oswego Normal school.  Subsequently she attended the Hygenic Institute at Geneva, and then acted as nurse in the city hospital at Rochester.  While in the hospital, the encroachments of that dread disease consumption, compelled her to relinquish her chosen occupation, and she came to this city to reside with her sister, Mrs. Putnam.
     Miss Bessee simply faded away, and the spark of life went out like a dying ember.  Possessing a cheerful and happy disposition, she endeared herself to all with whom she came in contact. She was an earnest Christian, having early in life found peace with her Maker, and for days and weeks prior to the cessation of the flow of her life blood, she frequently said she was ready and anxious to go, and now that her desire is gratified, her relatives and friends have the assurance that she is entering upon the full enjoyment of her reward.
     Besides Mrs. Putnam, two brothers are left -- Judson Bessee, of Rome, and George C. Bessee, of Bartlett.  The funeral occurred yesterday afternoon at Mr. Putnam's residence.  The remains were taken to Westmoreland for interment.  (RCApr20/1888)

LEWIS - In Lowell, New York, April 15, 1888, JESSIE G. LEWIS, of consumption, daughter of Robert W. and Gertie Lewis, aged 10 months and 15 days.  (RCApr20/1888)

OATMAN - Lowell, New York.  GEORGE OATMAN, a well known resident of Tilden Hill, died last Saturday (April 14, 1888) afternoon.  Mr. Oatman came from Germany nearly fifty years ago, and has resided in Vernon and Westmoreland ever since he came to this country.  He had never been ill before.  (RCApr20/1888)

LEACH - Rome, New York.  Mrs. GEORGE LEACH, a daughter of the late J. B. Bradt of this city, died at her home in St. Louis, Mo., on April 12th, of pneumonia.  Deceased formerly resided in Rome, where her husband was engaged in the jewelry business.  Her age was 45 years.  Besides the husband, a son and daughers survive.  Mrs. Leach was a sister of J. J. Bradt, Miss Maria Bradt and Mrs. N. E. Flack, of this city, and Mrs. Charles Northrup, of Chicago.  The remains were brought to Rome for interment.  (RCApr20/1888)

TREMAIN - Death of a Bright Child.  The sympathy of the entire city (Rome, NY) is extended to Dr. and Mrs. S. F. Tremain, in the death of their daughter, JULIA EDITH, aged 14 years.  It is sad to record that consumption claimed this bright and winsome child for its victim so early in life, yet such is the case, and she is thus laid to rest, after battling with its ravages during the last three years of her young and budding life.  Her death occurred at 1 A.M., Sunday (April 15, 1888).  Besides the parents three brothers and a sister survive.  The funeral services took place Wednesday at the family residence.  (RCApr20/1888)

BARNES - WILLIAM BARNES, of Newport, Herkimer county, who has been in the employ of Carey & Burney in this city (Rome, NY) for some time past, died very suddenly at his boarding place yesterday morning.  He roomed with Alfred Phillips, and when about to rise, he fell back and expired almost instantly.  A few minutes before he had remarked to Phillips that he felt first rate, never better in his life.  Heart disease is ascribed as the cause.  Mr. Barnes was about 50 years of age, and was a carpenter by trade.  (RCApr20/1888)

HURLBUT - Mrs. SARAH A. HURLBUT, died at her home at Hurlbut's Glen, Monday. (April 16, 1888)  She had been for years a sufferer from dropsy, but was never confinded to her bed, and when death claimed her as its victim she was sitting in a chair conversing with her family.  She was the widow of William Hurlbut, and her age was 66 years.  She was the mother of Henry, William, Charles and Edward Hurlbut, and Mrs. George Wolff and Mrs. Charles Starr.   (RCApr20/1888)  [see also (RCFeb15/1884)-HURLBUT]

HAYES - The body of FRED A. HAYES, a 15-year-od son of A. L. Hayes of Boonville, New York, was found hanging to a beam in his grandfather's barn, about three miles from that village, at 7:30 o'clock Wednesday (April 18, 1888) morning.  The lad had gone to feed the cows, as was his custom, and his long absence caused the hired man to go to the barn to see what was the matter, with the above result.  He had always been a bright and cheerful lad, and although his mother is confined in an asylum, he never gave evidence of having inherited any insane symptoms.  No cause can be assigned for the deed.  The coroner's jury rendered a verdict of suicide while under a temporary aberration of the mind.  (RCApr20/1888)

FENNING - RUDOLPH FENNING, a member of Company K, 56th N. Y. Volunteers, who had been employed in Ava for some time, came to this city (Rome, NY) about three weeks ago on his way to the soldiers' home, but he was taken ill, and was conveyed to the county house, where he died a few days ago.  He was a member of Starr Post G. A. R. of Lee Center, and was 55 years of age.  (RCApr20/1888)

CONKLING - New York city, Wednesday, 18, 1888, ROSCOE CONKLING.  He was born in Albany, NY, on October 30, 1829.  His wife was a sister of the late Governor Horatio Seymour.  She along with one daughter, Mrs. William G. Oakman, of New York city, survive, and to them the people of Oneida county, the State of New York, and the entire United States, extend their warmest sympathy.  [there is an extensive article on the public life of Mr. Conkling as a lawyer & public citizen in this issue of the paper-transcriber]   (RCApr27/1888)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, April 27, 1888

WAITE - In New Hartford, New York, April 21, 1888, EUNICE E., wife of Lindsey  Waite, aged 41 years, 2 months and 7 days.  (RCApril27/1888)

PENFIELD - At Yorkville, New York, April 24, 1888, W. ORANGE PENFIELD, aged 58? years and 16 days.  (RCApr27/1888)

JACOBS - At Coonrod, Rome, New York, April 25, 1888, Mrs. JOHN JACOBS, aged 68 years.  Mrs. Jacobs came to this country many years ago from Germany, and for six years had resided at Coonrod.  One son and four daughters survive -- George Jacobs, of Coonrod, and four daughters, Mrs. George Patrick, of Waterville, Mrs. Scott Ross, of Unadilla Forks, Mrs. Adelbert Laws, of Camden, and Mrs. George Gorton, of Rome, New York.  (RCApr27/1888)  [from the next week's paper, the following notice:]
               The funeral of Mrs. Jacobs was held Saturday (April 28, 1888) afternoon at the Evangelist church at Coonrod, New York.  She had suffered a long time with cancer, and leaves a large circle of friends to mourn.  (RCMay04/1888)

GOLLY - In Lee, New York, April 26, 1888, JOHN GOLLY, aged 76 years, 1 month and 23 days.  The people of Lee were shocked to learn that John Golly, of Lee Valley, had died at 5:45 o'clock, this morning.  All through the winter he enjoyed the best of health.  On Wednesday, the 18th inst., he was taken suddenly ill with paralysis of the bowels, and the seriousness of his condition was further augmented by inflammatory rheumatism.  Mr. Golly was born on a farm just south of this village, March 3, 1812 -- the day on which the first town meeting of Lee was held.  He resided on the old homestead until his marriage, when he took possession of the farm in the Valley on which he died.  He always followed farming as his occupation, though for several years he devoted a portion of his time to the cure of cancers, being successful in several cases that had been given up by physicians of renown.  He was a quiet unassuming man, and possessed the confidence and esteem of his neighbors in a marked degree.  His wife died about eighteen years ago.  The following children survive:  Asa T., Henry, Mrs. Edward Tuthill and Mrs. William Burns, a step daughter, all of Lee, and Mrs. Judson Champion of Lathrop, Mo.  Five brothers and one sister also survive -- Andrew, Joseph, Jardin, William and Benjamin, of Lee, and Mrs. William Olney, of Westernville.  The Funeral will be held in the Valley church Saturday at 2 P.M.  The services will be conducted by Rev. H. A. Harris, and the remains will be interred in the Valley cemetery.  (RCApr27/1888)

FOX - At 1 A.M. to-day (April 26, 1888) occurred the death of ABRAHOM FOX, at his home at Lee Corners.  He was taken ill the 14th inst., with a severe cold, which developed into typhoid pneumonia, and for the past few days his life was held in the balance.  Deceased was aged 81 years, nearly all of which time he has been a resident of Lee.  His first wife, who was a daughter of the late Stephen Allen of this town, died several years ago, and a few years since he married the widow of the late Philip Coonrad, who survives.  He also leaves a son and daughter by his first wife -- Theodore Fox, of Lee, and Mrs. John Chisam, of Oneida.  For many years Mr. Fox resided on a farm in the northern portion of the town, but about two years ago he moved on the farm at Lee Corners where he died.  Mr. Fox was highly respected in the community where he resided, and his neighbors will miss his kindly presence from among them.  The funeral will be held at the house Saturday at 11 A.M., Rev. H. A. Harris officiating.  The remains will be interred in the Hall cemetery near West Lee.  (RCApr27/1888)

TOOMBS - Taberg, New York  news item.  R. C. McFarland received last week the sad news of the death of his sister, Mrs. MARGARET F. TOOMBS, wife of James Toombs, which occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. M. G. Whittier, in Kansas City, Mo., on the 8th of April 1888.  She died of malarial fever.  Mrs. Toombs was born and reared in this vicinity, and was much beloved for her sunny disposition and winning ways, and a large circle of friends will mourn her death.  (RCApr27/1888)

COMSTOCK - Westernville, New York.  CALVIN S. COMSTOCK died of dropsy at his residence in North Western on Saturday, (April 21, 1888) in his 66th year.  He had been sick nearly a year, and confined to his bed most of the time, and a great sufferer.  He was a native of this town and lived on the farm where he died all his life.  Mr. Comstock was a genial disposition, and an upright man.  In politics he was a Democrat, and had been honored by his party a number of times with responsible offices.  He was a member of Baron Steuben lodge, F. and A. M.  He leaves his wife, one son, Dr. F. F. Comstock, of Ilion, and two sisters, Mrs. Addison Brill, of Ilion, and Miss Eunice Comstock, of North Western.  The funeral took place at North Western on Tuesday, at 11 o'clock, under the direction of the Masonic order.  (RCApr27/1888)

HOPKINS - Holland Patent, New York.  Mrs. MINERVA HOPKINS, died at the residence of her son, W. J. Randall, in this place, last Friday (April 20, 1888) morning of heart disease and other difficulties, aged 71 years and 9 months.  The funeral occurred at her late residence Sunday morning at 10 o'clock, Rev. M. E. Grant officiating.  She leaves only one child.  She was an aunt of Mrs. John G. Williams, of this place.  For over 30 years she was a resident here, and was much esteemed.  (RCApr27/1888)

ATWOOD - Holland Patent, New York.  A large number of our citizens, many of them pupils of our union school, attended the funeral of Miss GRACE M. ATWOOD, at Stittville, last Sunday  (April 22, 1888) afternoon.  For three years she was a student at our school and attended here at the time of her being taken ill with pneumonia.  She was greatly loved by all classes.  Re. M. E. Grant, of this place, assisted by Rev. J. G. Wilson, of Pennsylvania, at the funeral.  (RCApr27/1888)

VANDEWALKER - Westernville, New York.  DAVID VANDEWALKER died of consumption at the residence of his father, Charles Vandewalker, near Hillside, on Sunday (April 22, 1888), aged 85 years.  Deceased had been sick about one year.  The funeral occurred on Tuesday last at Hillside, and the remains were interred on Webster Hill.  (RCApr27/1888)

PRATT - Verona, New York news item:  The funeral of Mrs. EMMA PRATT, wife of Herbert Pratt, was held at Blackman's Corners the 18th of April 1888.  (RCApr27/1888)

ROBSON - Lowell, New York.  JONATHAN ROBSON, an old resident of this place, died last Sunday (April 22, 1888) morning, aged 83 years.  Mr. Robson came to this place from England nearly 60 years ago, and owned the farm where he died 53 years, accumulating a good share of this world's possessions.  He was a consistent member of the M.E. church in this village, and was noted for his uprightness of character.  In politics he was a Democrat.  His wife and seven children -- three sons and four daughters -- survive him.  (RCApr27/1888)

PRATT - Rome, New York.  FRANKLIN PRATT, who died at the residence of his brother, William T. Pratt on West Bloomfield street, Monday (April 23, 1888) afternoon, came to this city with his parents in 1816.  He was a son of the late Daniel Pratt, and was born at Ithaca, Cayuga county, NY, 77 years ago.  After a residence here of five years, the family removed to Orwell, Oswego county, but returned to Rome in 1839, and here Franklin continued to live, and work at his trade, that of blacksmithing, until 1860, when he removed to Oriskany Valley with his wife and mother.  He returned to Rome seven years later, however, and has since resided here.  Mrs. Pratt died about eleven years ago.  Only one brother survies -- William T. Pratt, above mention.  (RCApr27/1888)

HUNT - Dr. JACOB HUNT, the well known and popular Utica physician, died at his home in that city Saturday (April 21, 1888) evening.  He was born in Hillsdale, Columbia county, New York, June 25, 1810.  His father came to Oneida county in 1814 and settled in the town of Westmoreland.  After spending his earlier years on his father's farm, Dr. Hunt obtained an education at Clinton academy and Cazenovia seminary.  When he reached his twenty-first year he began the study of medicine with Dr. Parker Sedgwick, of Lowell, in this county.  He afterwards studied with Dr. Josiah Molton, of Cazanovia, and was graduated from Fairfield medical college, February 2, 1836.  He opened his practice in Lowell, and continued there until 1853, when he settled in Utica.  His specialty was the treatment of fevers, with which he achieved some remarkable success.  He was a member of the Oneida County and State Medical Societies.  He was a strong Republican.  Dr. Hunt was twice married.  His age was 77 years.  (RCApr27/1888)

TOWLE - Mrs. DOISCILLA L. TOWLE, died at Warren, Pa., on April 11, 1888, aged 79 years.  Her husband, HERMAN L. TOWLS, died at the same place Wednesday (April 25, 1888), aged 82 years.  Mrs. Towle was a sister of Mrs. J. B. Loomis, of Verona, Mrs. J. B. Cushman, of Utica, and Mrs. T. H. Pond, of Rome, New York.  (RCApr27/1888)

SHANKLAND - JAMES C. SHANKLAND, well known in this city, (Rome, NY) died at Norwood Sunday, (April 22, 1888) aged about 60 years.  Mr. Shankland is the father of James A. Shankland, car clerk at the Central freight offices in this city.  The deceased was an expert stenographer, and at one time was private secretary to Edwin M. Stanton, secretary of war under President Lincoln.   The funeral was held at Pierrepont Manor, where relatives of the family reside.  (RCApr27/1888)

MORRIS - Dr. SAMUEL H. MORRIS, of Utica, committed suicide last Friday (April 20, 1888) night by taking poison.  Financial difficulties are ascribed as the cause for the act.  (RCApr27/1888)

Barbara Andresen