Rome Citizen Death Notices in 1888

Thanks to Barbara Andresen for sending this in!

From ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Saturday, September  1, 1888

GRIFFIN - Mrs. ELLEN M. GRIFFIN, widow of Henry Griffin, a native of Vienna, NY, and formerly a resident of Westmoreland, New York, died at her home in Oakland, California, recently of lockjaw.  (RCSep01/1888)

STONE - Mrs. NATHAN STONE, of South Western, New York, died at her home Sunday (August 26, 1888) morning.  Her remains were deposited in the family cemetery on the farm.  Mrs. Stone was a consistant member of the South Western M. E. Church, a kind neighbor and devoted mother.  She leaves two daughters, two sons and a loving husband to mourn.  (RCSep01/1888)

WHITTAKER - Floyd, New York.  Again has this community been called to mourn.  IDA M. the esteemed wife of George H. Whittaker, daughter of Capt. and Mrs. William E. Clark, departed this life after a short illness, on Sabbath (August 26, 1888) morning last.  Mrs. Whittaker was much beloved by all who knew her for her uniform kindness and amiable qualities.  She will be much missed.  Deceased was 31 years, 11 months and 26 days.  The funeral services were conducted at the house, a large gathering of deeply sympathizing friends being present.  (RCSep01/1888)

FERGUSON - Taberg, New York.  SAMUEL FERGUSON, Sr., whose condition has been reported from time to time, died at 6 o'clock this morning (August 31, 1888) of cancer of the throat.  The disease made its first appearance early in the spring as a little swelling under the chin.  It developed very rapidly, and eminent physicians pronounced it cancer.  He has been a great sufferer, and was conscious that death was his only relief.  He has lived many years in this vicinity, and the universal sentiment is that he had not an enemy in the world.  He was 78 years old.   The funeral will be held at the Methodist church at eleven o'clock Sunday (September 2, 1888).   (RCSep01/1888)

WETMORE - Camden, New York.  MARY J., wife of Levi Wetmore, died Tuesday (August 28, 1888) evening, aged 35.  She had long been a sufferer from consumption.  The husband and two children survive.  The funeral occurred at 10 A. M. to-day.  (RCSep01/1888)

MURPHY - Westmoreland, New York, August 25, 1888, of cholera infantum, FRANCIS MURPHY, son of Charles and Ellen Murphy, aged 3 months and 14 days.  (RCSep01/1888)

THOMPSON - In Camden, New York, August 27, 1888, GILBERT THOMPSON, aged 62 years.  (RCSep01/1888)

GRAVES - Camden, New York.  C. W. Graves mourns the death of his eight months old daughter.  (RCSep01/1888)

COOPER - ISSAC COOPER, for 28 years a resident of Whitestown, was found dead in his barn last evening.  He was lying on the floor, with an old army musket across his body.  The charge of the gun had entered his left breast.  Deceased had not been seen by any of his family since 11:30 A.M. and as the body was cold and stiff, it is supposed he had been dead some time.  It is generally suppposed the shooting was accidental, as Mr. Cooper had frequently remarked that he must get out the old musket and shoot the rats with which his barn was infested, and it is thought he had the gun for that purpose yesterday.  Deceased was a veteran of the late war, having served in Company K, 146th regiment, N. Y. Vols.  A wife and six children survive.  An inquest will be held this morning.  (RCSep01/1888)

BUCKMAN - Albany, Aug 31. -- GEORGE BUCKMAN, on Thursday evening, attempted suicide by shooting himself, having become depressed over the death of his wife.  He was taken to the City Hospital, and was progressing nicely.  This morning the nurse left him alone for a few moments, in a room on the top story.  No sooner had she gone than he arose and went to the window.  Throwing it up, he stood for a moment in contemplation, and then jumpted out, falling sixty feet to the ground.  He struck on the side of his head, breaking his neck.  Death was instantaneous.  Four months ago a woman jumped from a window in the same institution, and was killed.  During the past six months an attempt to commit suicide by jumping from the windows has occurred once a month, but only two proved successful.  (RCSep01/1888)

From ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, September 5, 1888

KINGSLEY - STEPHEN L. KINGSLEY, well known in Rome, NY, died suddenly in New York city yesterday.  (RCSep05/1888)

THRON - Rome, New York.  Mr. and Mrs. George Thron, of 318 Canal street, mourn the death of their infant son.  (RCSep05/1888)

ROBERTS - Hon. ROBERT H. ROBERTS, of Boonville, New York, while directing work in his boat yard in that village Monday (September 3, 1888) afternoon, had his neck instantly broken by a section of a new boat, which accidentally fell over on him.  Mr. Roberts was one of Boonville's most enterprising and public spirited citizens, and will be greatly missed.  Although a Democrat he was elected supervisor of the strong Republican town of Boonville in 1874 and 1875.  In 1877 he was elected member of assembly from the then fourth Oneida district and in 1881 he defeated Samuel Fox of Durhamville for State senator.  His wife and two childen survive him.  (RCSep05/1888)

SMITH - Rome, New York.  HORACE SMITH, who has long been affected  with paralysis, died at the house of his son, Willard Smith, on Kossuth street, in this city, Monday (September 3, 1888).  Deceased was 77 years of age.  A few days before his death he was attacked by dysentery, which was the immediate cause of his death.  Mr. Smith had resided in Rome during the past year and a half, during which time he had made many warm friends by his kindly and genial manners.  Besides the son, two daughters, who reside in Vermont, survive.  (RCSep05/1888)

BOURS - Rome, New York.  JAMES and KITTIE BOURS, nephew and niece of Mrs. Mary Bours of this city, died recently of yellow fever in Jacksonville, Fla.   (RCSep05/1888)

From ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, September 12, 1888

PATTERSON - In Oriskany, New York, September 10, 1888, JANE, wife of the late James Patterson, aged 67 years.  (RCSep12/1888)  [see also (RCApr25/1884)-PATTERSON]

RUSSELL - At Trout Pond hotel, near Trenton Falls, New York, September 10, 1888, the proprietor, JOHN RUSSELL in the 80th year of his age.  (RCSep12/1888)

From ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Saturday, September 15, 1888

CRILL - Mrs. ELIZA ANN CRILL, widow of Daniel Crill, formerly of Rome and Western, New York, died of heart disease at the home of her son, Jay Crill, in Stanley, Ark., September 1, 1888.  The deceased went west about a year ago.  (RCSep15/1888)   [see also (RCJun21/1878)-CRILL]

NILES - JACOB NILES, an old and highly respected resident of Niles Settlement, about four miles east of Rome, New York, died of dysentery Wednesday (September 12, 1888) evening, at the residence of his son-in-law, George Abbe.  Mr. Niles was 82 years of age, and was born in the vicinity where he died.  His health had been poor for about a year, but he did not give up until attacked with dysentery about two  weeks ago.  Besides the daughter, one brother, George Niles of Detroit, Michigan, survives.  (RCSep15/1888)

HERRETH - New London, New York.  Mrs. HERRETH died Sunday (September 9, 1888), aged 78 years.  Funeral to-day (September 14, 1888).  She leaves an aged husband, two daughters and one son.  (RCSep15/1888)

HALL - Camden, New York.  HOSEA HALL, a former well known resident of this town, died at his residence in Climax, Michigan, August 19, 1888, aged 89 years.  (RCSep15/1888)

SPERRY - Camden, New York.  Mrs. JULIA C. SPERRY, daughter-in-law of  Sherman Sperry, of this town, died at Rockton, Illinois, September 15, 1888, aged 52 years.  (RCSep15/1888)

BETTIS - Camden, New York.  Sad news was received here Monday (September 10, 1888) afternoon of the death of Mrs. ELIZABETH J. BETTIS, wife of John A. Bettis and sister of B. T. Hinckley of this place, at Cedar Rapids, Iowa.  (RCSep15/1888)

MURPHY - In Oriskany, New York, September 11, 1888, THOMAS MURPHY, aged 80 years.  (RCSep15/1888)

CASE - In New Hartford, New York, September 12, 1888, HARRIET N. WILLIAMS, wife of J. Hart Case, aged ?9 years.  (RCSep15/1888)

BAER - At Oriskany, New York, September 12, 1888, FRANCES KATHLEEN BAER, aged 15 months.  (RCSep15/1888)

SCRANTON - At Utica, New York, September 12, 1888, Mrs. ELIZABETH L. SCRANTON, of Westmoreland, New York.  (RCSep15/1888)

From ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, September 19, 1888

HARRIS - Rome, New York.  Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Harris mourn the death of their 15-year-old daughter, LENA, who died early Sunday (September 16, 1888) morning.  The funeral occurred yesterday at the house, on Turin street.  (RCSep19/1888)

BEARD - Rome, New York.  Mrs. J. H. BEARD died yesterday at her home on West Park street.  She had been ill about six months.  Her age was 48 years.  She was a very active member of the First M. E. church, and was held in high esteem by the members of that organization.  Besides the husband, two sons and one daughter survive.  (RCSep19/1888)

BUDLONG - C. A. BUDLONG, an old resident of Oneida county, died at Richfield Springs on Saturday (September 15, 1888).  For 40 years he was engaged in the mercantile business in Cassville.  In 1869 he removed to Aurora, Illinois, where he afterward resided.  The  remains will probably be interred at Waterville or Clayville, New York.  (RCSep19/1888)

CLIFFORD - Vienna, New York.  The youngest child of C. C. Clifford was buried last Friday (September 14, 1888), Rev. William Morrell, of Higginsville, officiating.  (RCSep19/1888)

HART - Vernon, New York.  CONNIE HART,  oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. John Hart, died last Saturday (September 15, 1888) morning, aged 17 years.  He was a boy of rare ability and possessed a bright intellect, and his death falls with crushing weight upon his bereaved parents, who have the sympathy of the entire community.  (RCSep19/1888)

JENKINS - Major JAMES E. JENKINS died at the house of his mother, Mrs. J. W. Jenkins, in Vernon, New York, Friday (September 14, 1888) evening, of consumption.  Since 1882 Captain Jenkins had been a resident of Chamberlain, Dakota, where he had grown very popular among the people, being twice elected county treasurer and was filling that position, as well as that of adjutant general of the territory, to which he had been appointed by Governor Clinch, when he came back to his old home in Oneida county, a few weeks ago, to spend his last days.
     James E. Jenkins was born in Vernon in 1846.  His father was the late Hon. J. Whipple Jenkins, a prominent lawyer, and he was a nephew of Hon. Timothy Jenkins of Oneida Castle, who was at one time district attorney of Oneida county and member of congress from this district.  During his course of study at Hamilton college, the war broke out and he immediately left college and enlisted.  He was one of the organizers of the Oneida Independent cavalry, and in September, 1861, was commissioned a second lieutenant.  He served with the organization under McClellan until the spring of 1862, when he was transferred to the 146th New York volunteers, with the rank of Lieutenant colonel.  DAVID T. JENKINS, a brother of the deceased, took a prominent part in forming this regiment, in which he also held the rank of lieutenant colonel.  James served until September, 1864, in the 146th, making a most honorable record.  His three years' enlistment expiring at that time, he again joined his old company in the cavalry,  which had been established at head quarters as body guard of the general commanding, as captain, and served until the close of the war.  His brother David was killed at the head of his command in the Wilderness.
     Few members of the organization in which he served were more popular than Major Jenkins.  His surviving comrades to-day refer to him as an example of brave patriotism.  He was wounded in battle twice and was honored for gallant conduct at Spottsylvania.  At the battle of Gettysburg he was struck between the shoulders by a piece of shell, and it is thought that the injuries then inflicted laid the foundation for the lung disease which caused his death.
     Besides the mother, a wife and five children survive.  (RCSep19/1888)

COBB - Whitesboro, New York, September 15, 1888, Mrs. PRUDENCE DEWEY, wife of the late Samuel D. Cobb of Utica, New York, in the 78th year of her age.  (RCSep19/1888)

CRANDALL - In Chicago, Illinois, September 17, 1888, Mrs. L. W., widow of the late Lowell Crandall of Whitestown, New York.  (RCSep19/1888)

BARBER - Miss SADIIE E. BARBER, of Utica, New York, died at Old Forge, North Woods, on the 13th of September 1888.  Deceased was well know in this city, (Rome, NY) having for several years been engaged in the millinery establishment of Miss Lora D. Gates, on West Dominick street.  She also sang at one time in the First M. E. church choir.  She was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Barber.  About a month ago she went to the Adirondacks with a party of friends, but was shortly afterward taken ill and conveyed to Old Forge hotel, where she died.  (RCSep19/1888)

From ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Saturday, September 22, 1888

BISNETT - On Wednesday (September 19, 1888) night the frame dwelling occupied by Mrs. Patrick Reed and family, which is located about two miles north of the village of Westmoreland, caught fire, and was all ablaze inside before the neighbors succeeded in arousing the inmates, who with the exception of the one and a half-year-old granchild of Mrs. Reed, barely escaped with their lives.  The little child slept with Mrs. Reed, who is well advanced in years.  When she arose in response to the alarm she found every avenue of escape cut off except a window and through this she sought safety.  She says the flames and smoke filled the bed room, and though after realizing what was the matter, she made every effort to reach the bed and rouse the child she was unable to do so, and was obliged to fly to save her own life.  The child's mother died about ten months ago, and its father, Conductor Bisnett, of the R. W. & O. R. R., resides in Watertown.  Mrs. Reed is almost distracted with grief over the affair.  It is not know how the fire originated.  The house and funtiture were insured for $1,800.  (RCSep22/1888)

PALMER - Rome, New York.  MARY PALMER, daughter of Patrick and Nora Palmer, of Mohawk street, died Thursday (Seeptember 20, 1888) evening of consumption, aged 19 years and 6 months.  The parents have the sympathy of all who know them.  Funeral from the residence on Mohawk street, on Saturday, Sept. 22 at 9:30 o'clock, and from St. Peter's church at 10 o'clock A. M.   (RCSep22/1888)

ROWAN - Rome, New York.  ARTHUR H., son of Alderman Thomas and Susan Rowan died of cholera infantum Wednesday (Sepbember 19, 1888), aged one year and eight days.  (RCSep22/1888)

DEITZ - LEO DEITZ, aged 77 years, for over 44 years a resident of Utica, New York, and one of the oldest residents of the city, met his death Thursday (September 20, 1888) morning by falling off the roof of a house on Bryant street, which he was shingling.  (RCSep22/1888)

WILLIS - A very peculiar suicide took place near McConnellsville Tuesday (September 18, 1888) afternoon.  Groans in the woods near the residence of Robert Fransworth attracted the attention of that gentleman's wife, who notified her husband, and upon going where the sounds proceeded from they found CHARLES W. WILLIS, who owned the farm on which Mr. Farnsworth resided.  Willis was in a half sitting position, lying on his right leg and supported by his right hand.  He said he did not know what he had done or what was the matter with him.  Mr. Farnsworth, with the assistance of others, carried him to his house and summoned a physician.  On the way there he kept repeating, "Minnie; God forgive and forget!"  He died about 2:45 A. M. Wednesday (September 19, 1888) morning.  About ten rods from the place where he was found in the woods was a black felt hat and a 22 calibre revolver.  The cylinder was out of the weapon and had one empty shell, the other barrels being loaded.  The ball entered about one inch back of the upper portion of the right ear, and took a course upward and forward and lodged in the left hemisphere of the brain.  The coroner's jury rendered a verdict that deceased came to his death by a self inflicted pistol shot wound.  Willis was 29 years of age and unmarried.  Despondency caused by financial troubles is thought to have been the cause of his rash act.  (RCSep22/1888)  [following is from a Vienna news item in the same paper:]
               Mr. Willis, who committed suicide Tuesday, had lived in this town about two years.  He came from Minnesota, and was highly esteemed by all who knew him.  He was formerly from near Fulton, Oswego county.  He has a father and one sister in Minnesota, and one sister in Redfield, N. Y.  None of the friends being here, the day of the funeral is not set.  (RCSep22/1888)  [following from a Vienna news item in next week's paper:]
               Edward Willis, father of Charles W. Willis (who commited suicide), arrived here Saturday (September 22, 1888) afternoon from Montana, but was too late for the funeral, as it was held Thursday afternoon at the house.  Interment took place at Mexico, Oswego county.  (RCSep26/1888)

SAVERY - Rome, New York.  We have just received the sad intelligence of the death of Mrs. Col. R. G. SAVERY, daughter of Mrs. J. B. Halstead and sister of Mrs. D. E. Nichols and Mrs. P. Dudy, of this place, and Henry Halstead, of Toledo, Ohio, which occurred this morning  (September 20, 1888) at 2 o'clock, at her residence in Blossvale, New York.  She had an extended acquaintance in this town, her childhood having been spent in this place.  Funeral services will be held Saturday at the Baptist church in Taberg at 11 o'clock, A. M., where the interment will take place.  (RCSep22/1888)

JONES - GEORGE W. JONES, of Trenton, New York, who has been employed in cheese making in Otsego county the past two years, died Tuesday (September 18, 1888) of typhoid fever.  His widow and four sons survive.  (RCSep22/1888)

From ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, September 26, 1888

WOLF - In Utica, New York, September 22, 1888, SUSANNA, relict of the late Frederick Wolf, formerly of New London, Oneida county, in her 58th year.  (RCSep26/1888)

STACK - Rome, New York.  The infant son of Matthew Stack, of Ridge street, died of congestion of the lungs Saturday (September 22, 1888) evening.  (RCSep26/1888)

CLARKE - At 6 P. M. Sunday (September 23, 1888) occurred the death of Mrs. SARAH E. CLARKE, widow of the late Rev. Joseph T. Clarke, at the residence of her daughter-in-law, Mrs. H. L. M. Clarke, in Rome, New York.   Deceased was 81 years of age, and had been an invalid for a number of years, but for six months past she had failed very rapidly, suffering several hemorrhages.  Mrs. Clarke was born on the island of Jamaica, West Indies, where her father, the late Angus Morison, was a planter.  At an early age she came to this county and settled in Connecticut, where, at the age of eighteen, she married the Rev. Joseph T. Clarke.  A few years after their marriage they removed to Skaneateles, in this State, where Mr. Clarke assumed the rectorship of a parish.  During his residence there he went to Jamaica on business, was stricken with a fever and died.  About twenty years ago, Mrs. Clarke came to this city to live with her son, the late H. L. M. Clarke, for many years rector of Zion church.  During her lifetime deceased was a faithful worker in the Episcopal church.  She made friends easily  by her genial manners, and they remained true to her till death.  The deceased leaves a son, Rev. Joseph M. Clarke, a professor in the Nashatoh (Wis.) college, and a daughter, Mrs. Mary J. Bours, of Rome, New York; also a half sister, Mrs. Thomas B. Williams, of Fordham, N. Y.  The funeral occurred at Zion church at 2:30 P. M. yesterday.  (RCSep26/1888)

HAWLEY - Rome, New York.  SUSAN B., wife of Giles Hawley, who for six months had been a sufferer from liver complaint and dropsey, died at her home, No. 309 North James street, early Sunday (September 23, 1888) morning.  Mrs. Hawley was 79 years of age, and was born in Denmark, Lewis county, being the daughter of Ephraim Hunt, one of the first settlers in that region.  Deceased was married in 1834 to Giles Hawley of this city, and ever since that time has been a resident of Rome.  Her universal kindness won her many friends, who sincerely mourn her death, and keenly sympathize with the bereaved husband.  The funeral occurred yesterday at 2 P. M., at the late home of deceased.  (RCSep26/1888)

From ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Saturday, September 29, 1888

CORR - In Western, New York, September 25, 1888, ROSELLA, daughter of Thomas and Anna Corr, aged 3 months.  (RCSep29/1888)

ELLIS - At Floyd, New York, on Wednesday, September 26, 1888, Mrs. ELLEN ELLIS, aged 78 years.  (RCSep29/1888)

From ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, October 3, 1888

WHEELER - Taberg, New York.  George Wheeler, son-in-law of Thomas Flanders, Esq., lost a child two years old, which was buried to-day (October 2, 1888).  Sermon by Rev. A. C. Stone, the Baptist clergyman.  (RCOct03/1888)

FENTON - Taberg, New York.  ELI FENTON, one of the oldest residents of our town, died Sunday (September 30, 1888) evening, and was buried to-day.  He was 88 years of age, and was the father of Mrs. John J. Lane.  The funeral was held at the house, Rev. D. W. Aylsworth, of Cleveland, New York, conducting the services.  (RCOct03/1888)

NICHOLS - Rome, New York.  Intelligence has been received here of the death of Mrs. MARY E. NICHOLS, daughter of the late Mrs. M. J. Dinwiddie, at her home in Lowell, Ind., last Thursday (September 27, 1888).   (RCOct03/1888)   [see also (RCMar16/1888)-DINWIDDIE]

STRADLING - The suicide of Miss LUCY STRADLING, of Oneida, briefly alluded to in these columns Saturday (September 29, 1888), is still the subject of conversation in that village, for the reason that no cause can be assigned for the act.  An Oneida correspondent says:
               "Miss Stradling's conduct seemed to be planned with the idea of warding off suspicion of suicide and making it appear that death was the result of natural causes.  The morning before her death she wrote a long letter to her sister in Hamilton, in which she stated, at some length her plans for the winter, and invited her to visit her on Friday of this week and attend the Democratic meeting and listen to Governor Hill.  The letter throughout was cheerful.  Early in the day she called upon a dressmaker to have some work done, and at noon called again and tried the dress on; at dinner she appeared in her usual good spirits, and made some appointment for the evening.  When Dr. Cavana was called she was conscious, but either could not or would not answer him.  When he spoke to her she recognized him.  He asked her what she had taken, and she immediately turned away her head.  While preparing some mustard and water he asked her if she wanted some water, and she nodded her head and took a small quantity.  He then asked her to take the mustard, and she immediately turned her head and shut her teeth, and the doctor was obliged to force open the teeth and use a funnel.  The stomach did not respond to the emetic, and in a few minutes she lost all consciousness.  The age of the deceased was given to the health officer as 36 years and two days.  (RCOct03/1888)

From ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Saturday, October 6, 1888

MITCHELL - Taberg, New York.  Mrs MITCHELL, mother of Michael, Dennis and Patrick Mitchell, died last Sunday (September 30, 1888), and the funeral was held at St. Patrick's church Tuesday.  She was a very old lady.  The remains were taken to Florence, New York.  (RCOct06/1888)

COOK - CHARLES D. COOK, a commercial traveler for Rowley and Horton, of Utica, New York, died Thursday (October 4, 1888) evening of inflammation of the brain, at Hotel Werner, Amsterdam.  Deceased was 35 years of age, and a member of the Utica lodge of Elks.  (RCOct06/1888)

BECKWITH - McConnellsville, New York.  Mr. and Mrs. John Parcell attended the funeral of Mrs. BECKWITH at Taberg last Sunday (September 30, 1888).    (RCOct06/1888)

HOUGHTON - North Bay, New York.  George Houghton and family mourn the death of their child, EARL, aged 11 months, which occurred Thursday (September 27, 1888) morning of cholera infantum.  Funeral services were held at the Baptist church Saturday, Rev. J. B. Ford, the pastor, officiating.  The remains were interred in the cemetery here.  (RCOct06/1888)

SCHUSTER - Rome, New York.  While waiting for his breakfast Thursday (October 4, 1888) morning, PHILIP SCHUSTER died suddenly at his home on Lawrence street.  His health had been poor for a number of years, and at times his heart had troubled him.  Heart disease is ascribed as the  cause of his sudden death.  Deceased was 69 years of age, and had been a resident of Rome for 36 years, coming here from Germany.  Besides a widow he leaves seven children:  Frank Schuster and Mrs. F. G. Booth, of Rochester, Mrs. Fred Groves, of Valley Mills, George Schuster, of Watertown, Philip and Andrew Schuster and Mrs. Michael Cramer, of Rome; also a brother, Officer John Schuster, of the Rome police force.  (RCOct06/1888)

EVENDEN - Rome, New York.  Mrs. SARAH EVENDEN,  who had long been a sufferer from pneumonia, nervous prostration and dropsy, died at the residence of her son, William Evenden, on North Madison street, Wednesday (October 3, 1888) evening.  About a month ago she came to this city from Walesville, where she had resided for sixteen years.  Deceased was born in England, and was 77 years of age.  During her lifetime she was greatly beloved by those who knew her.  She leaves three children, William Evenden, of Rome, Mrs. Salvina Crandall, of Whitesboro, and Mrs. George Bancraft, of Washington, D. C.; also two brothers, Thomas Kingsworth, of Vernon Center, and Leonard Kingsworth, of North Bartlett, Tioga county.  The remains will be taken to Whitesboro for internment.   (RCOct06/1888)

RAHN - In Whitesboro, New York, October 1, 1888, JOHN HENRY RAHN, aged 54 years.  (RCOct06/1888)

SEIGMAN - In Westmoreland, New York, October 3, 1888, HENRY F., son of Martin A. and Catherine Seigman, aged 14 years and 14 days.  (RCOct06/1888) [another article in the same paper follows:]
               The family of Martin Seigman living about one and one half miles west of Westmoreland, is terribly afflicted and deserve and receive the deepest sympathy of the entire community.  A week or more ago a little boy was taken with what is termed black diphtheria, and soon the three other children came down with the same dread disease.  Wednesday morning Henry, aged  fourteen, died quite suddenly, and was buried Thursday without, funeral or any of the family present.  Mrs. Seigman is now very sick, and one or two of the little boys are not expected to live.  Friends and neighbors are powerless to assist them for fear of spreading the disease.  (RCOct06/1888)

From ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, October 10, 1888

TOMA - Rome, New York.  On Saturday (October 6, 1888) afternoon, Mrs. JOSEPHINE TOMA died at the home of her son, Martin Bergmiller, on Depeyster street, aged 71 years.  Death was caused by internal cancer.  Deceased had been a resident of Rome for nearly 40 years.  (RCOct10/1888)

McFARLANE - Rome, New York.  DAVID G. McFARLANE, of this city (Rome, NY), dropped dead in the corridor of the Butterfield house, Utica, New York, Saturday (October 6, 1888) morning.  Heart disease was the cause.  The deceased was 58 years of age.  He was unmarried, and was for several years a large contractor in the Remington armory at Ilion, where he lived for twenty years.  He suffered financial loss at the time of the failure of the Remington  company, and moved to Rome, where he found employment in the brass works.  He was a prominent member of the Little Falls commandery, K. T., which took charge of his funeral.  Coroner Jones deemed an inquest unnecessary.  (RCOct10/1888)

RICHARDSON - E. J. RICHARDSON, of Westmoreland, a cousin of Mrs. David Aldridge, of Rome, New York, dropped dead of heart disease in a commission house, at Buffalo, last Friday (October 5, 1888).  The remains were brought to Rome, and taken to the residence of Mr. Aldridge, where Dr. Taylor conducted short services Monday afternoon.  The remains were then taken to the home of Frederick Royce, near Bartlett, where the regular funeral services were held.  One daughter, Miss Ella Richardson, survives.  (RCOvt10/1888)

MERWIN - ALANSON MERWIN, father of Hon. M. H. Merwin, judge of the Supreme Court, of Utica, died at his home in Leyden, Lewis county, on Sunday last, aged 87 years.  (RCOct10/1888)

GREENHILL - GEORGE O. GREENHILL, an old and respected citizen of Utica, New York, died Saturday (October 6, 1888).  Mr. Greenhill was born at Paris Hill in 1830.  He went to Utica about 1850, and resided there until his death.  (RCOct10/1888)

LEWIS - Mrs. ROSE A. LEWIS, wife of ex-Supervisor Lewis, of Trenton, New York, died Monday (October 8, 1888) morning, aged 48 years.  She had suffered from cancer for a long time.  Besides her husband she leaves three children.  (RCOct10/1888)

CURRAN - CHARLES C. CURRAN, aged 25 years, died at his home in Whitesboro, New York, Saturday (October 6, 1888).  The deceased was only ill for two weeks, suffering from typhoid fever.  He leaves a wife, formerly Miss Libbie Owens, of Whitesboro, a father, H. B. Curran, of that village, and two  brothers, James B., of Chicago and Edward H. Curran, of Whitesboro.  (RCOct10/1888)

HANNIS - At 9:30 A. M. Sunday (October 7, 1888), CHARLES HANNIS, of Utica, New York, was found unconscious on a hay-mow in the barn of Peter Welch, a farmer residing three miles northwest of Waterville.  Dr. Gorton, of that village, was called to attend him, but the patient expired soon after the physician's arrival.  He did not regain consciousness.  Hannis worked for Mr. Welch during the hop picking season, and it is said had been drinking and hanging about the place for a week past.  His clothing was saturated, and it is thought that he laid outdoors in the rain Saturday night.  It was decided that death was caused by exposure.  (RCOct10/1888)

ROOT - Afrer an illness of nearly four months with lung difficulties and other ailments, JOHN P. ROOT died at his home on East Dominick street in Rome, New York, Saturday (October 6, 1888) evening, aged 42 years.  His wife whom he married about 4 years ago, survives him.  (RCOct10/1888)

EDWARDS - In Utica, New York, October 7, 1888, ROBERT EDWARDS, aged 66 years.  (RCOct10/1888)

SCHULZE - In Utica, New York, October 7, 1888, LOUIS SCHULZE, aged 70 years, 6 months and 12 days.  (RCOct10/1888)

From ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN, newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Saturday, October 13, 1888

ALLEN - Camden, New York.  The little daughter of Rev. and Mrs. A. W. Allen died Wednesday (October 10, 1888) morning, of membraneous croup.  The child was three and a half years old.  The bereaved parents have the sympathy of the community.  (RCOct13/1888)

WILCOX - JOSEPH F. WILCOX, of Ridge Mills, New York, an old resident of this locality, died at the house early last evening, aged 71 years.  He had been in ill health for several years, being troubled with heart difficulty, which was the cause of his death.  During his long residence in Rome, NY, Mr. Wilcox won the esteem and repsect of his fellow men, and the news of his death causes great sadness to rest upon the entire community.  Besides his widow, one daughter survives, Mrs. Horace A. Nobles, of Buffalo, and several nephews and nieces, among whom are Leroy Wilcox and Mrs. P. P. Hartwell, of this city (Rome, NY).   (RCOct13/1888) [following from next week's paper:]
               The funeral of Joseph F. Wilcox, who died last Friday evening, occurred at his late residence at Ridge Mills Monday, and was very largely attended.
     Mr. Wilcox was born in Groton, Conn., May 22, 1817, and was therefore in his 72d year.  He came to Rome forty-two years ago and for two years lived on what is known as the Greenfield farm, near Stanwix.  He then moved onto the Huntington farm, on the Ridge road, and lived there nineteen years.  He then bought a house and a few acres of land at Ridge Mills, and there passed the remainder of his days in peace and quiet.  In politics, Mr. Wilox was a Republican, and for a number of years was elected commissioner of highways of the fifth ward of this city.  By his integrity in the discharge of every duty, he won the esteem of all his fellow men.  (RCOct17/1888)

SEARLES - Rome, New York.  The funeral of BERNARD SEARLES, of Belleville, New York, occurred at his late home on Tuesday (October 9, 1888).  Deceased was a brother of Robert R. and James H. Searles, of this city.  (RCOct13/1888)

McDOWELL - The infant son of Mrs. W. G. McDowell, of Philadelphia (formerly Miss Lizzie Sherwood, of Rome), died on Thursday (October 11, 1888), aged five weeks.  (RCOct13/1888)

KURTZ - In Rome, New York, October 10, 1888,  CHRISTINA, wife of George Kurtz, of 220 Depeyster street, aged 68 years.  (RCOct13/1888)

HILTS - Rome, New York.  Mr. and Mrs. Ezra Hilts have been called to Boonville, NY, on account of the death of Mrs. Hilts' mother.  (RCOct13/1888)

From ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN, newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, October 17, 1888

WHITE - GEORGE WHITE, aged 27, son of Michael M. White of Coonrod, Oneida county, met with a horrible death about five miles from Sidney, Neb., on Tuesday (October 9, 1888) of last week.  Mr. White was employed as head brakeman on a freight train on the Union Pacific railroad.  As the train was on its way to Sidney, the foreward car, in which was stored a large quantity of gasoline, caught fire.  The train was stopped, and Mr. White uncoupled the burning car from the rest of the train, when the engine drew it back several rods.  Mr. White then proceeded to uncouple the engine from the car, and as he did so the gasoline exploded, blowing him a distance of  300 feet and burning him so badly that he died the next day.  About a month ago Mr. White joined Platte River Lodge No. 29, Brotherhood of Railway Brakemen, at North Platte, Neb., and was much esteemed by his fellow workmen.  L. E. Lindsey, a member of the lodge to which Mr. White belonged, accompanied the remains to Rome, arriving here Sunday afternoon.  The remains were taken to the residence of the young man's father at Coonrod, where the funeral occurred at 1 P. M. Monday, Rev. Mr. Ballou, of Utica, officiating.  The attendance was very large.
     When the deceased joined the Platte River Lodge, he took out $1,000 insurance on his life.  This he willed to his adopted sister after his injury and when he knew he had but a few hours to live.  Beside the parents and adopted sister, one brother, Fred White, survives.  (RCOct17/1888)

ROBERTS - In Oshkosh, Wis., VINCENT ROBERTS, formerly of Marcy, Oneida county, N.Y.  (RCOct17/1888)

LANDRIGAN - In Rome, New York, October 15, 1888, JAMES LANDRIGAN, aged 75 years.  (RCOct17/1888)

KILBURN - Taberg, New York.  Mrs. ELIZA KILBURN has been failing in health for a long time, and of late has shown unmistakable signs of insanity.  Last Saturday she was removed to the insane asylum at Utica.  She is a sister of Hon. T. B. Allanson, and mother of Edward H. and John A. Hall.  (RCOct17//1888)

From ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Saturday, October 20, 1888

NASH - JERRY NASH, formerly of Steuben, Oneida county, NY, died at his home in Ogle county, Illinois, October 11, 1888, of dysentery, aged 73 years.  A wife and seven children survive.  Deceased was a brother of Chauncy Nash, of Lee Corners, New York.  (RCOct20/1888)

DILLINGHAM - GEORGE A. DILLINGHAM, aged 58 years died suddenly at the residence of Patrick Butler, on Calvert street, Thursday (October 18, 1888) evening.  He had been at work for Mr. Butler all day, and remained to supper.  While sitting at the table he seemed to choke.  He got up, walked out of doors, sat down on a chair and died soon afterward.  Heart disease was the cause.  A widow and four children survive -- Courtland L., Adelbert and Loren Dillingham and Mrs. George Stull, of this city.  The funeral will occur at the First M. E. church at 1:30 P. M. to-morrow.  (RCOct20/1888)

BROOKS - Rome, New York.  Early Wednesday (October 17, 1888) morning RANSOM BROOKS died at the home of his son-in-law, W. L. Keeler, 707 East Dominick street.  Deceased was 85 years of age, and was ill only a week with pneumonia.  He leaves two sons, William A. Brooks, of Hampton, Iowa, and Rev. J. G. Brooks, pastor of the M. E. church at Westmoreland, and a daughter, Mrs. W. C. Keeler, of this city; also a brother, C. Brooks (aged 94 years) of Union Valley, Cortland county.  The remains were taken to Union Valley, Cortland county, for interment. (RCOct20/1888)   [two different middle initials used for Mr. Keeler's name -transcriber]

RUSSELL - JOHN F. RUSSELL died at his home on Second street, Rome, New York, October 17, 1888, aged 33 years.  Deceased leaves a wife and one child.  (RCOct20/1888)

EVANS - Holland Patent, New York.  The funeral of the infant daughter of Evan T. Evans and wife occurred from their residence yesterday afternoon, the Baptist pastor officiating.  She died of pleuro pneumonia, aged ten months.  (RCOct20/1888)

ORR - In Camden, New York, October 13, 1888, GEORGE C., son of Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Orr, aged 6 years and 6 months.  (RCOct20/1888)

CRAIG - In Camden, New York, October 16, 1888, Miss ELIZABETH CRAIG, aged 37 years.  (RCOct20/1888)

WITCHLEY - In Camden, New York, October 17, 1888, MIRANDA J., daughter of Thomas Witchley, aged 7 years and 3 months.  (RCOct20/1888)

VANDAWALKER - In Camden, New York, October 15, 1888, HANNAH, wife of Otis Vandawalker, aged 67 years.  Rev. F. A. Vandewalker, of Ionia, Michigan was called here by the death of his mother, and is spending a few days in town.  (RCOct20/1888)

VOORHEES - Camden, New York.  A. VOORHEES, an aged resident, suddenly dropped to the floor in a faint last Sunday morning.  He rallied, but since has had another attack, from the effects of which he does not recover.  (RCOct20/1888)

From ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, October 24, 1888

EIGENBROADT - Vienna, New York.  Mrs. SALLY EIGENBROADT, died Tuesday (October 16, 1888) evening at 10:30, after an illness of about two weeks, at the residence of C. A. Rose, aged 84 years.  Rev. William Morrell, of Higginsville officiated at the funeral.  The interment took place at McConnelsville cemetery.  (RCOct24/1888)

DAVIS - Rome, New York.  At the residence of J. R. Post, Saturday (October 20, 1888) evening occurred the death of Mrs. L. S. DAVIS, mother of Mrs. Post.  For several years Mrs. Davis' health had been poor, but she was not confined to her bed till a short time before her death.  Deceased was 61 years of age, and came to this city from Florence about  15 years ago.  She was greatly beloved by all who knew her.  Besides her husband, L. S. Davis, the deceased leaves a son, Seymour Davis, of Chicago, and two daughers, Mrs. Frances Whitfield and Mrs. J. R. Post, of Rome; also a brogher, Benjamin Griswold, of Medina, and three sisters, Mrs. Alfred Robbins and Mrs. Z. R. Evans, of Rome, and Mrs. H. W. Cauldwell, of Pulaski.  (RCOct24/1888)

DOTY - Mrs. ROLAND S. DOTY, formerly of Rome, died at her home in Oneida Sunday (October 21, 1888), aged 77 years.  Her first husband was the late Elon Comstock, of Rome, New York.  (RCOct24/1888)

FARRIER - Rome, New York.  The familiar form of CHARLES FARRIER will be seen no more on our streets.  Not long since he was attacked by chronic bronchitis, and died Sunday (October 21, 1888) morning at his home on East Embargo street, aged 48 years.  Deceased came here from England nearly 30 years ago.  In 1863 he enlisted in battery H, 3d New York Light Artillery, and served till the close of the war.  Since then he has been employed in various capacities at light work.  He was an active and earnest member of Skillin Post, G. A. R.  His wife survives.  (RCOct24/1888)

JONES - Rome, New York.   Mrs. EMMA W. JONES, wife of S. S. W. Jones, died at her residence on Elm street about 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon.  The deceased had been in ill health for about a year, being a sufferer from consumption, of which she died.  She had the esteem and high regard of all who knew her, and her sad death causes deep sorrow among all her frineds and acquaintances.  Besides her husband, her mother, one sister, Miss Mary Williams, of this city, and two brothers, John Williams, of Rochester, and Jefferson Williams, of Chicago, survive.  (RCOct24/1888)

DOWNS - Rome, New York.  RALPH DOWNS, the four-year-old son of George Downs, of 521 West Thomas street, was accidentally drowned in the upper mill pond shortly after noon yesterday.  His body was found by some boys about 2 o'clock in two and one-half feet of water.  It is supposed he fell in while playing about the water's edge.  Coroner Millington has deemed an inquest unnecessary.   (RCOct24/1888)

GROVES - Yesterday afternoon the sad intelligence was received in this city that JOHN GROVES, formerly of Rome, New York, had died suddenly at his home in Trinidad, Colorado, between eleven and twelve o'clock.  The sad news shocked the entire city, for Mr. Groves was honored and beloved by all who knew him.
     Deceased was born in France, of English parents, 60 years ago.  His early life was spent in the iron mills near Birmingham, England, where he thoroughly mastered every detail of the iron trade.  About thirty-five years ago he emigrated to this country and located in Boston, Mass., where he resided several years.  He was afterwards engaged in the iron business in Worcester, Mass., and Providence, R. I.  In 1870, the late John B. Jervis, of this city, induced Mr. Groves to come to Rome and reconstruct the Rome Merchant Iron Mill.  This he did, and from that time until July 1885, he was the superintendent of that mill.  At that time his health began to fail, and he felt that he could not give his personal attention to the business of the mill, and therefore resigned his position, much to the regret of the directors of the company.  Mr. Groves consulted several eminent physicians, who told him he had Bright's disease.  The winter of 1885-6 he and his wife spent in Florida.  Whereas his health seemed to improve, he was far from being a well man.  The summer of 1886 and the succeeding winter and spring he spent at his home in this city.  In June, 1887, he was prevailed upon to try the air of Colorado, and accordingly went to Denver.  Under the influence of that dry climate and the water from Colorado springs, his health rapidly improved, and his friends confidently expected he would regain his usual health.  So much improved was he that in the spring of the present year an iron company was organized at Trinidad, Co., 200 miles south of  Denver, and Mr. Groves was invited to become its general superintendent.  He accepted the position, and immediately set about erecting a rolling mill at Trinidad.  The change of air and water, however, brought back his old malady with renewed vigor, and he was compelled to allow others to go on with the work.  He was, however, confined to his bed but very little, and a few days before his death was making preparations to return to Denver for a month or two, in the hope of improving his health, but the fell destroyer claimed him as a victim before he could get started.
     Mr. Groves was a knight templar in the Masonic order.  The remains will be brought to this city for intement, but the day and time of the funeral we are not yet able to announce.  During his residence in this city, the deceased won the respect and esteem of all with whom he had dealings.  His honest and honorable manner of life was proverbial among those who had business relations with him, and socially his presence was always eagerly sought after.
     Besides the widow, the following children survive:  Mrs. J. E. Brownson, (a step daughter,) of Providence, R. I.; Mrs. T. Clayton Halley, of San Jose, Cal.; Mrs. C. G. Sillenbeck and Mrs. E. E. Byam, of this city; A. B. Groves, of Denver, Col., and Miss Hattie Groves, of Trinidad, Col.  Also one brother, William Groves, of Boston, Mass.  The bereaved family have the deepest symapthy of a large circle of friends.  Interment will take place at Rome cemetery. (RCOct24/1888)

DEMMING - At Floyd, New York, October 19, 1888, SARAH A. DEMMING, aged 51 years and 8 months.  (RCOct24/1888)

DREW - At Washington Mills, New York, October 20, 1888, GEORGE W. DREW, aged 88 years, 7 months and 28 days.  (RCOct24/1888)

From ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Saturday, October 27, 1888

DONOVAN - In Clinton, New York, October 24, 1888, ELIZABETH F., wife of T. G. Donovan, aged 38 years and 10 months.  (RCOct27/1888)

SIMMONS - In New Hartford, New York, October 25, 1888, ICHABOD SIMMONS, aged 87 years.  (RCOct27/1888)

From ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, October 31, 1888

EVANS - Ava, New York. Oct. 26 -- The funeral services of EVAN G. EVANS, who departed this life the 23d of October 1888, were held at the Friends' church at West Branch to-day.  Rev. Thos. E. Jones, of Floyd, preached in Welsh.  The remains were accompanied to their final resting place by a long procession of relatives and friends.  Deceased was born in the town of Steuben, in this county, in the year 1830, and has lived in the towns of Western, Westmoreland and, for the last sixteen years, in the town of Ava.  He was twice married, and leaves two manly sons, a devoted daughter, besides his sorrowing wife, and two fatherless boys.  Four brothers and a sister also survive, viz:  Thomas Evans, of Highmarket, Lewis county; Griffith G. Evans, of Floyd; John Evans, of Western; Joseph Evans, of Lee, and Mrs. Hannah Crege, of Florence.  The name of Evan Evans was a synonym for integrity and good citizenship.  His friendships were constant and enduring; his domestic relations were most happy, and his religious convictions were faithfully exemplified by membership in and labor for the church of his choice -- the Quaker Hill C. M. church.  "Verily he rests from his labors, and his works do follow him."  (RCOct31/1888)

SMITH - Rome, New York.  Mrs. SUSAN M. SMITH died on Sunday (October 28, 1888) morning at her home, No. 307 West Liberty street.  Deceased was 60 years of age, and death was caused by heart difficulty.  Mrs. Smith was an active and earnest member of the Baptist church, and her death leaves many an aching heart, for her nature was such that she made friends of all whom she came in contact.  She was a daughter of the late Samuel Smith, of Lee.  Besides her husband, four sisters and one brother survive her:  Miss Mary J. Smith and Miss Lydia S. Smith, of this city, Mrs. A. Stoddard, of Lowville, Mrs. G. H. Getman, of Warner, Dakota, and S. M. Smith, of Lee Center.  The funeral occurred at 9 A. M. to-day.  (RCOct31/1888)

HIGBIE - The remains of EDWARD M. HIGBIE, who recently disappeared from his home at West Camden, New York, were found on Sunday (October 28, 1888) morning near the residence of Sherman Fenton, about two and one-half miles east of West Camden.  The supposition is that he started to go to Mr. Fenton's across lots, and, overcome by exhaustion, lay down and died there.  The body was found by Alonzo Van Buren, who was looking after traps set for mink along Fish Creek.  He leaves a brother, Joseph Higbie, of Bellevue, Ohio, and a half-sister, Mrs. C. M. Lamphear, who resides in West Camden.  (RCOct31/1888)

Barbara Andresen