Rome Citizen Death Notices in 1885

Thanks to Barbara Andresen for sending this in!

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, January 2, 1885

SHERMAN - In Rome, New York, December 26, 1884, ERNESTINE, daughter of Arthur and Emma Sherman, aged five weeks.  (RCJan02/1885)

ROBERTS - In Remsen, New York, December 27, 1884, WILLIAM B. ROBERTS ("Madrin,") aged 23 years.  (RCJan02/1885)

IVES - In Clinton, New York, Sunday, December 28, 1884, Mrs. ELIZA IVES, widow of the late William Ives, in her 75th year.  (RCJan02/1885)

McPHEE - In Rome, New York, December 19, 1884, WILLIAM McPHEE, aged 77 years, 2 months and 16 days. (obit follows) [two different death dates given-transcriber] (RCJan02/1885)

Death of William McPhee.
     William McPhee, who was stricken with paralysis December 20, 1884, lingered in a precarious state till one o'clock last Monday morning, (December 22, 1884) when he died.  He recovered his faculties to such an extent as to be able to converse with his friends, and died very peacefully and painlessly.  Mr. McPhee was a native of Glasgow, Scotland, having been born there July 13, 1807.  He was consequently in the 78th year of his age.  He came with his parents to Canada when he was 12 years old, and two years later they removed to Rome, NY where his father engaged as a weaver in Draper's cotton factory.  The son had commenced to learn the book-binder's trade before leaving Scotland, but while in Canada he lost his leg from a white swelling, which rendered him unfit for that business, and he learned the tailoring trade.  He conducted that business here from 1830 to about 1873, being toward the close of his businesss experience a partner of John Cummings.
     Deceased was for more than fifty years an earnest, consistent and zealous member of the First M.E. Church, and he carried the practice of his religion into all the affairs of life.  He lived respected and esteemed by all who knew him, and he died in the full hope of a glorious resurrection.  He leaves a widow, an adopted daughter, residing at McHenry, Illinois, and an adopted son whose place of residence is unknown.
     Funeral services were held at the late residence of deceased, corner Dominick and George streets, Wenesday afternoon, conducted by Rev. C.W. Parsons, assisted by Revs. J.W. Roberts and B.S. Wright.  A large number of people were present.  The remains were interred in Rome cemetery.  L.E. Elmer, N. Mudge, J.D. Ely, A.W. Honsinger, A. Sandford and N.B. Foot acting as bearers.  (RCJan02/1885)

ELMER - In Syracuse, New York, December 28, 1884, suddenly, ZIPPORAH  A., wife of George Elmer, formerly of Rome, and sister of A.D. Sandford and Mrs. W.E. Banning, of Syracuse, and W.D. Sandford, of Rome NY., aged 55 years.  (RCJan02/1885)

FOSTER - In New Hartford, New York, Wednesday, December 24, 1884, JAMES SEARS FOSTER, aged 77 years.  (RCJan02/1885)

JOHNSON - In Chester, New Jersey, at the residence of her son, the Rev. Frank A. Johnson, Mrs. HANNAH S. JOHNSON, wife of A.N. Johnson, all formerly of Rome, NY.  (RCJan02/1885)

HOWARTH - In Utica, New York, Monday, December 29, 1884, Mrs. JANE HOWARTH, widow of the late William Howarth, aged 68 years.  (RCJan02/1885)

MANSFIELD - In Whitesboro, New York, Tuesday, December 30, 1884, WILLIE, son of John and Ann Mansfield, aged 3 years, 5 months and 10 days.  (RCJan02/1885)

TUTTLE - In Whitesboro, New York, Monday, December 29, 1884, MARIA TUTTLE, aged 75 years and 9 months.  (RCJan02/1885)

PEXTON - In Augusta, New York, the funeral of EDWARD PEXTON, occurred Tuesday, December 23, 1884.  (RCJan02/1885)

McGANN - In Verona, New York, the funeral of HUGH McGANN was largely attended December 29, 1884, at the Presbyterian Church.  Mr. McGann had long been a resident of Verona, and was well known and universally respected.  Rev. W.C. Taylor preached the funeral sermon.  (RCJan02/1885)

BISHOP - In Verona, New York, the funeral of Mrs. BISHOP was held at her late residence in Verona on December 26, 1884.  Her husband, Deacon Calvin Bishop, died three years ago last November.  Mrs. Bishop has been a member of the Presbyterian Church, of Verona, for over fifty years.  The church and community lose, in her, a valued member.  (RCJan02/1885)

MERRILL - Mrs. SYLVIA MERRILL, widow of the late Jacob M. Merrill, of Westmoreland, died on Wednesday, December 24, 1884, at the residence of her daughter, at Richview, Illinois, of pneumonia.  Her remains were brought to Westmoreland, New York for interment.  Deceased was a sister of the late Rev. F.A. Spencer, who died in Clinton, NY a few weeks since.  Her age was 84 years and 8 months.  She leaves a daughter, and three sons, William S., Thomas, and Frank Merrill.  (RCJan02/1885)

DORFER - In Rome, New York, December 30, 1884, JOHN DORFER. (obit follows)

Fatal Accident.
     John Dorfer, aged 74 years, was run over by the cars on the N.Y. Central Railroad and instanly killed a little before 10 o'clock Tuesday evening. (December 30, 1884) He and his wife had been out purchasing groceries at the store of Alderman Groghan, corner of Ridge and George streets, and started up the railroad track for their home, which was on Henry street, opposite Williams Brothers' knitting mill.  Just before reaching home the mail and express train from the west came plunging around the curve.  Mrs. Dorfer who was a little in advance saw it and stepped off the track, at the same time shouting to her husband.  As he was rather deaf, however, he did not hear her or the train.  The engine struck him, and carried the body clear back to the Ridge street crossing.  When found it was terribly mangled, and life extinct.
     Deceased was born near Strasburg, Germany, and came to America in 1847, locating first at Boston.  He came to Rome in 1867, and commenced laboring in Rome Iron Works as a rail straightener.  He held his position as long as the rail mill continued in operation, and then served two years as a watchman about the works.  He was a steady, industrious man.  He leaves a widow and five grown-up children, of whom John B. Dorfer, of Rome, NY is one.
     Coroner Sutton impaneled a jury, consisting of John Reifert, Adam K. Adams, O.D. Williams, Daniel Hager, D.J. Reid, Thomas Casey and Joseph Kapfer, and will hold an inquest at two o'clock this afternoon.  (RCJan02/1885)

BARTON - Mrs. ELIZABETH S. BARTON, widow of Rev. William Barton and daughter of the late Timothy Jervis of Rome, New York, died Wednesday morning, (December 31, 1884) of paralysis at her home in Woolbridge, New Jersey.  She was nearly 81 years old.  (RCJan02/1885) [see RCJan16/1885 - JARVIS]

ADAMS - In Rome, New York, December 30, 1884, WILLARD ADAMS. (obit follows)

Death of Willard Adams.
     Willard Adams, second son of the late Sanford Adams, died last Tuesday (December 30, 1884) at the residence of his mother, No. 142 Dominick street, in the 46th year of his age.  He returned last August from an absence of more than nine years in California and other Western States and Territories.  His health has been poor for two years past, but he was able to get out of doors for several weeks after he reached home.  His health, however continued to fail, and for the last three months he was constantly confined to the house.  His disease was consumption, which he contracted in California.  He served several years in the army under McClellan and other commanders.  He had traveled much, and had much experience, and was a genial companion.  He leaves a wife, who, with his mother and two brothers, have the sympathy of our community.  (RCJan02/1885)

PHILLIPS - The sad news comes of the death of ELIZA RUDD, wife of Samuel Phillips, of Hoosic Falls, New York, in the 58th year of her age.  She was a native of Delta, New York, and the youngest daughter of the late Benjamin Rudd.  She leaves a husband and several children, besides a large circle of friends, to mourn her loss. [notice was in the Dec. 23, 1884 column for Delta, NY]  (RCJan02/1885)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, January 9, 1885

DRUMMOND - In Delta, New York, January 2, 1884, DANIEL G. DRUMMOND. (obit follows)

Daniel G. Drummond Dead.
      Daniel G. Drummond, whose illness for six weeks past has caused such widespread solicitude, died at his home near Delta, in the town of Lee, New York, last Friday afternoon. (January 2, 1884) It will be remembered that he was taken suddenly ill in Rome, NY on the 18th of November, and for several weeks was confined to his room in the Mansion House, before he recovered sufficiently to be removed to his home.  After reaching his home his disease seemed to take a more favorable turn, and his friends had good hope that he might recover, but these expectations proved to be without foundation.  The morning of the day on which he died he became suddenly worse, and continued to sink rapidly until death came.
     Deceased lacked about ten months of having reached the allotted age of man, having been born October 28, 1815.  He was a native of Albany, NY, and the son of a Methodist clergyman, but when only two years old was taken into the family of his grandfather, Abraham Davis, of White Plains, Westchester Co., with whom he continued to reside till he reached the age of 20 when he came to the town of Lee, which town was his home for the remainder of his life.  The next year after coming to Lee, December 4, 1836, he was married to Miss Sarah H. Shaver, of Sullivan, Madison Co., who survives him.  He also leaves two sons and two daughters, Gilbert D. and Charles Drummond, Mrs. Buskirk and Miss Minnie Drummond.
     Mr. Drummond had been from early youth a dealer in live stock; for twenty years past being engaged in buying horses and cattle in Canada and bringing them to Central New York for market.  He was a shrewd business man, very pleasant and companionable, and well liked by all who formed his acquaintance.  Though his hair and beard were snow white, he seemed to enjoy vigorous health, and his sudden and fatal attack is difficult to account for.
     In politics he was a zealous Democrat, but he numbered among his friends a host of Republicans who liked him for his sunny and genial manner.  For twenty-four years he had a standing offer to furnish an ox for a barbecue as soon as a Democratic President should be elected, and as soon as it was definitely settled that Grover Cleveland was winner in the late struggle, he promptly furnished the beef.  The feast came off November 20, 1884, but the generous purveyor was chained to the bed of sickness, and was not permitted to witness the joyous festival he had organized.  Many friends though regretfully of this at the time, and the memory of their genial friend will by them be long kept green.  (RCJan09/1885)

     Rev. Dr. Taylor, of the Presbyterian Church, preached last Sunday evening an impressive sermon, in the course of which he gave the following list of members of the church who have passed away during the past year, with ages and date of death.  The list is unusually large, and gave fitting occasion for the pastor to draw from it a striking lesson on the brevity of human life and the importance of living in a state of preparation.  The record contains many familiar names.  (RCJan9/1885)
     March 4, Mrs. Emma Pollard, 80
     March 10, Mrs. Albert Keeney, 34
     March 22, Mrs. Anna L. Stillman, 28
     April 11, Albert Keeney, 38
     April 13, Mrs. Joseph Aldridge, 35
     April 20, Mrs. Selden Johnson, 75
     April 22, Joseph A. Dudley, 69
     May 9, William A. Shelley, 25
     May 21, Mrs. Gustavus Pope, 77
     June 1, Mrs. Doxtater, 67
     June 28, Albert Jones, 15
     July 6, Frank Tremain, 14
     July 8, Mrs. Alice Marriott, 32
     July 11, G.T. Jones, 69
     July 12, Robie Utley, 11
     August 4, Mrs. Purdy, 67
     August 6, M.W. Smith, 58
     August 12, Charles Wight, 34
     August 20, Margery Orton, 9 months
     September 27, infant child of R.E. and Mary A. Wilson, 3 weeks
     October 6, Mrs. Angeline Gilbert, 74
     October 10, Mrs. Benedict, 62
     October 31, Mrs. Visscher, 51
     December 7, Mrs. L.L. Lewis, 81
     December 13, Edward D. Graves, 21
     December 15, Giles K. Brown, 75
     December 18, Mrs. Charles Knight, 30:  total 27.

STONE - In Westmoreland, New York, Monday, December 29, 1884, GEORGE DEAN STONE, aged 27 years and 4 months.  (RCJan09/1885)

CURLEY - In Utica, New York, Saturday, January 3, 1885, ANN CURLEY, mother of Mrs. Margaret Tuffey, of West Branch, NY, aged 70 years.  (RCJan09/1885)

HUNT - In New Hartford, New York, January 6, 1885, in the thirty-fourth year of her age.  GRACE KATHERINE GIBSON, wife  of Loton S. Hunt, and second daughter of Rev. Dr. Gibson, of Utica, NY.  (RCJan09/1885)

MANSFIELD - In Whitesboro, New York, December 30, 1884, WILLIE, son of John and Ann Mansfield, aged 3 years, 5 months and 10 days.  (RCJan09/1885)

SLOCUM - In Clinton, New York, December 31, 1884, EMILY MATILDA, wife of William P. Slocum, aged 67 years.  (RCJan09/1885)

CAMPBELL - In Camden, New York, December 27, 1884, HATTIE, sister of A.E. Wallace, aged 35 years.  (RCJan09/1885)

EVANS - In Rome, New York, January 7, 1885, Mrs. ELIZABETH EVANS, wife of Hugh U. Evans, aged 76 years and 4 months.  (RCJan09/1885)

PRENTISS - In Verona, New York.  Mrs. PRENTISS died suddenly January 1, 1885.  She was a sister to Mrs. John King, of Verona, and of Charles Motsiff and Wm. Motsiff, of Vernon, NY.  She had been confined to the house by partial paralysis.  She leaves a husband and a daughter about 15 years old.  Funeral services at the home by Rev. C.W. Taylor.  (RCJan09/1885)

TANNER - Mrs. MARGARET TANNER came to visit the family of her son-in-law, Lyman Bailey, of Taberg, NY, last week, and was taken soon after her arrival with congestion of the lungs, or congestive pneumonia, and died this afternoon. (Jan. 7, 1885)   (RCJan09/1885)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, January 16, 1885

JERVIS - In Rome, New York, January 12, 1885, JOHN B. JERVIS, in his 90th year.  (RCJan16/1885)  (obit follows)

Death of Hon. John B. Jervis.  [from the DAILY SENTINEL]
     John B. Jervis, Rome's most honored and respected townsman, died at his home, corner of Washigton and Elm street, Monday, January 12, 1885, in the 90th year of his age.  He began feeling poorly about a week ago, and soon took to his bed and sank away peacefully and quietly, without particular disease.  The vital forces were exhausted and the human machinery was worn out.  With the death of Mr. Jervis passes away one of the greatest of American civil engineers, and one of the ablest of political economists.
     Born in the last century, he came to Rome, NY, when three years of age, and for most of the time since he has beeen a resident of this locality, his interests being largely identified with the town in which he lived.
     In the spring of 1793, John W. Bloomfield came to Fort Stanwix from New Jersey, to act as agent for, and look after, a tract of 1,600 acres of land, in what is now the town of Lee, then owned by Mr. McIllvaine, a connection of Mr. Bloomfield by marriage.  Mr. Bloomfield came on horseback, visited the land as well as all of this section of the country, went down Wood Creek and Oneida Lake to Rotterdam, (now Constantia) purchased, in company with two or three others, 6,000 acres of land, called the "6,000 acre tract," in Lee, of George Scriba, and after an absence of three months from New Jersey returned home.  He was then married, and shortly after came to this locality, taking up his residence in Taberg, thereby becoming the first white settler of what is now the town of Annsville.  That town was named after Ann, wife of Mr. Bloomfield.  About 1812, he removed to Rome, purchased a farm which included the homestead of Mr. Jervis, and so extended westwardly to and beyond Madison street, and where Mr. B.J. Beach resides.  He lived in a house which then occupied the site of Mr. Jervis's late residence, and died there in 1849 at the age of 84, widely known, universally honored, respected and esteemed.  During his life he was largely and prominently engaged in business and was an extensive land owner.
     A sister of Mr. Bloomfield was the wife of Timothy Jervis, and Mr. Bloomfield's  location in the then western wilderness of New York, was the incentive doubtless of Mr. Jervis's removal hither.  In 1798 Timothy Jervis moved from Huntington, Long Island, (where John B. was born) to Rome; it was the same year Oneida country was formed, and the year John B. was three years old.  He was born December 14, 1795, and consequently at his death was past his 89th birthday.  Timothy Jervis died to Rome in 1843, leaving six children -- four sons and two daughters.  The three sons now living elsewhere are Rev. Timothy B. Jervis, of Elmira, William Jervis, of Milwaukee, and Benjamin F. Jervis, of Toledo.  The daughters are dead.  One daughter was the wife of Mr. Vail, of Rahway, New Jersey; one the wife of the late Dr. Beach, of Taberg, (she was the mother of Hon. B.J. Bach, of  Rome.) and the other, the wife of Rev. W.B. Baton, of Woodbridge, New Jersey.   She died quite unexpectedly about two weeks ago, nearly 81 years old.  Her sudden death gave quite a shock to her aged brother, then confined to his house by an illness which proved to be his last.
     The life of unusual activity of John B. Jervis extended over a period of nearly 70 years, with very little cesation.  In 1817 the construction of the Erie Canal commenced, and that work afforded employment and furnished facilities to a larger class who had theretofore followed other pursuits.  Benjamin Wright was engineer in the construction.  He needed an axman, and temporarily employed young Jervis.  Dextrous with an ax, apt and ambitious to learn, ready to do all and more than was required, he was soon promoted to the position of rodman in the survey, at $12 a month.  He then turned his attention to the study and practice of surveying and engineering, making such proficiency under Mr. Wright that in two years time he was made resident engineer at $1.25 per day on seventeen miles of the canal, extending from Madison county into Onondaga.  Mr. Jervis was then about 25 years of age, and although the "high priced" young men of today might smile at an offer of only $1.25 per day, that position and that salary 65 years ago were considered very desirable and lucrative.  After filling that position for two years, he was transferred to a more important and difficult one on the canal near Amsterdam, where he was made resident engineer for two years more.  In 1823 he was made superintendent of the work for fifty miles on the canal, employing and discharging all of the subordinates.  About 1824 Mr. Jervis had full control of about one seventh of the entire canal with more expense than the general average; it required great care, activity and diligence to keep up the navigation at the expense of about $600 per mile,  or $30,000 per annum.  Unlimited authority was given him by the canal commissioner, Henry Seymour, who made occasional visits for the purpose of consulting freely on the requirements of the work.  In 1825 the canal was completed. Having been seven years on that work, Mr. Jervis resigned to engage in highter duties, and received from Henry Seymour, then canal commissioner (father of Gov. Seymour) a kind and commendatory letter.
     Benj. Wright, in the meantime, had become chief engineer of the Delaware & Hudson Canal, and he tendered to Mr. Jervis the appointment of assistant engineer.  The latter accepted, and upon him devolved the chief duties.  The main object of this canal was to facilitate the transportation of coal from the Lackawadda valley to New York city and the Hudson River.  Preliminary surveys and estimates had been made of the route, and it was intended to be partly by the construction of a canal and partly by improvement of the river.  Mr. Jervis examined the whole route and reported adversely to most of the slack water plan.  In this he was sustained by Mr. Wright, and that part of the plan was abandoned.  Mr. Jervis made important improvements in the expense and hazard of working those steep incline on the route, by which the railroad from Carbondale was carried to the summit of the mountain.  Near the close of the year 1827  Mr. Wright resigned as chief engineer of  that work.  Mr. Jervis was appointed to succeed him and remained in charge until 1830.
     In 1830 Mr. Jervis was appointed chief engineer of the railroad between Albany and Schenectady, the first one constructed in the state.  The inclined plane between those two cities was overcome by stationary engines, subsequently abandoned.  He was chief engineer of the Schenectady & Saratogo Railroad, for which he invented a new plan for an engine, which was sent to England and constructed by H. Stephenson.  This improvement, in the nature of a truck, is now the general plan of American locomotives.
     After the completion of the above two railroads in 1833, Mr. Jervis was engaged by the canal commissioners, as chief engineer of the Chenango Canal, 98 miles long, with 100 locks.  On this canal, for the first time in this country, resort was had to artifical reservoirs for the supply of its summit with water, and Mr. Jervis was the originator of the method.
     In 1835, the work of the enlargement of the Erie Canal was contemplated, and Mr. Jervis was called upon to make surveys and estimates on the eastern section.  He proposed many corrections of errors in its original construction.  At Little Falls he wholly rearranged the flight of locks.
     In October, 1838, he accepted the unsolicited position of chief engineer of the Croton aqueduct, the object being to supply New York city with pure and wholesome water.  He then resigned his position of the Erie Canal enlargement.  The Croton aqueduct was considered at the time as the greatest piece of engineering skill in the world.  Its notable and complete success gave to Mr. Jervis a world wide reputation and celebrity.  He was appointed in 1846 consulting engineer to supply Boston with water, and held that posiiton until 1848.  The water works at Port Jervis (a place on the Erie railroad named after him,) were constructed under his approval.  The Rome water works in 1868, were not undertaken until the plans were first submitted to him and subjected to his scrutiny and received the approval of his judgment and engineering skill.
     In 1847 he was made chief engineer of the Hudson River railroad and consultant as such until 1849 when he resigned, but retained his place as consulting engineer until 1850.  In 1850 Mr. Jervis went to Europe and was absent several months.  On his return he engaged at once in the construction of the Michigan Southern & Northern Indiana Railroad, 216 miles in length.  In 1851 he was engineer of the Chicago & Rock Island Railroad and in 1854 its president.  This road was than 180 miles long, extending from Chicago to the Mississippi River.  He was next engaged in the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railroad, 486 miles long, and brought the financial conditions of that company and its road to a square and substantial basis.  He resigned in 1863 the active duties as manager of that railroad, but continued to act as engineer thereof, until 1866.
     Mr. Jervis had been twice married; first in 1834 to the daughter of the late George Brayton, of Western; she died in 1839.  The second time and in 1840 to Eliza R. Coates; she survives him.  He died childless.  (RCJan16/1885)

PHILPOTT - In Rome, New York, January 8, 1885, HANNAH, wife of John Philpott, aged 78 years.  (RCJan16/1885)

MARCHAND - In Rome, New York, January 10, 1885, Mrs. CATHERINE E., widow of Charles Marchand, aged 67 years.  (RCJan16/1885)

PECK - In Marshall, New York, January 11, 1885, PAUL BRISTOL, oldest son of Dwight B. and Ada M. Peck, aged 13 years, 7 months and 9 days.  (RCJan16/1885)

JONES - At Paris Hill, New York, Wednesday, January 7, 1885, JOHN R. JONES, aged 69 years.  (RCJan16/1885)

RIGGS - In Boonville, New York, January 7, 1885, Mrs. LYDIA WHITNEY, wife of Clark A. Riggs, aged about 64 years.  (RCJan16/1885)

QUINN - In Rome, New York, January 15, 1885, RICHARD QUINN, aged 87 years.  (RCJan16/1885)

BRIGGS - RUFUS R. BRIGGS, twin brother of Alderman R.C. Briggs of Rome, New York, died of consumption at his home in Earlville, Madison Co., on Thursday, January 8, 1885.  (RCJan16/1885)

MILLER - In Ava, New York - A little less than two weeks ago the family of John Miller, consisting of himself, wife and one child, was attacked with diphteria.  Last Thursday (January 8, 1885), Mrs. MILLER died, and was buried the next day.  Under the circumstances it was thought best  to have no funeral services at present.  Ida Humiston, Mrs. Miller's sister, and her mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Wood, have also been sick with the same disease at Mrs. Miller's house.  I understand they are now slowly recovering.  Dr. J.C. Fraser, who attended them, was also then with the malady, and is now being treated by Dr. Rinkle, of Boonville, New York.  (RCJan16/1885)

LITTS - In Delta, New York - Mrs. BRYON LITTS, the youngest daughter of the late Solomon Young, died last Wednesday, (January 7, 1885) morning.   Her funeral was held at the M.E. Church, Rev. C.E. Dorr officiating.  Her age was twenty years.  (RCJan16/1885)

BUTTS - ELIHU BUTTS, a former resident of Delta, New York, died at Scaghticoke, New York, week before last.  (RCJan16/1885)

McNAMARA - MICAH McNAMARA who has been in the employ of David Swancott for some time, was taken suddenly ill with inflammatory rheumatism, and lived but a few days.  His funeral was held at his father's residence in Annsville, New York on Friday January 9, 1885.  (RCJan16/1885)

SEARLES - In Rome, New York, January 12, 1885, MARTHA G. SEARLES.  (obit follows)

Death of Mrs. Searles.
     Mrs. Martha G. Searles, the mother of James H. and Robert R. Searles, of Rome, NY, died at the residence of the latter about midnight of Monday, January 12, 1885, of congestion of the lungs and heart disease.  She always enjoyed good health till within the last year, during which time she had several severe attacks of illness.  The last attack was within two or three days of her death, and she grew rapidly worse till its fatal termination.  Deceased was born in Belleville, Jefferson Co., and had made that place her home through life, with the exception of three years spent with her son Robert in Rome, from 1869 to 1871.  She was born November 28, 1810, and was therfore in the 75th year of her age.  In 1830 she was married to J.H. Searles, of Belleville, with whom she lived till his death, in 1800, and by whom she was the mother of eleven children, four of whom are still living, viz: James H. and Robert R. Searles, of Rome, Mrs. M.E. Bogardus, of New York city, and William T. Searles, of Brookfield, Mo.  For fifty years she had been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and her life and conversation testified to the genuineness of her Christianity.  Her benevolence and kindly ways greatly endeared her to all who knew her, and many sincere mourners will regret to learn that she has passed away.  (RCJan16/1885)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, January 23, 1885

CARR - In Jefferson, Wisconsin, of consumption, Sunday, January 18, 1885, ELLA E. CARR, daughter of I.T. Carr, and niece of E.E. Carr, of Rome, New York, aged 29 years.  Her loss is a heavy one to her father and two young brothers.  The mother of the family died when Ella was only sixteen, and for the next half dozen years she was her father's housekeeper and counselor and a mother to her motherless brothers.  (RCJan23/1885)

HUGHES - In Trenton, New York, January 15, 1885, HUGH R. HUGHES, in the 46th year of his age.  (RCJan23/1885)

JOHNSON - In Boonville, New York, January 10, 1885, Mr. HORACE JOHNSON, aged  85 years and 4 months.  (RCJan23/1885)

SMITH - In Westmoreland, New York, Monday, January 19, 1885, ORRIN SMITH, aged 72 years.  (RCJan23/1885)

GIBBONS - In New York Mills, New York, Monday, January 18, 1885, GEORGE GIBBONS, aged 19 years, 6 months and 5 days.  (RCJan23/1885)

POTTER - In Rome, New York, Monday, January 19, 1885, AUGUSTUS S. POTTER, aged 63 years, 10 months and 10 days.  (RCJan23/1885)

RUDDOCK - Coroner Sutton was summoned to Westmoreland, NY yesterday to investigate the case of H.Y. RUDDOCK, who was found dead in his house, in which he lived along, January 22, 1885.  As the man was subject to fits, and all the indications were that he died in fit, the coroner did not deem an inquest necessary.  (RCJan23/1885)
     [notice in Westmoreland column]  The funeral of H.V. RUDDOCK, who was found dead in his house last Thursday morning (January 22, 1885), was held at the residence Sunday (January 25, 1885) afternoon.  (RCJan30/1885)

BECK - In Rome, New York - Mrs. MARY A. BECK, wife of Charles H. Beck, died at her home on Court street last Monday evening (January 19, 1885), of asthma, from which she had suffered for several years.  She was 29 years old and leaves her husband and a boy of six years.  She also leaves a mother, four brothers and three sisters, Chief of Police Byrnes being one of her brothers.  She was buried from St. Peter's Church.  (RCJan23/1885)

CHURCHILL - In New York city, New York, January 21, 1885, ALBERT W. CHURCHILL.  (obit follows)

Death of A.W. Churchill.
     Albert W. Churchill, who for twelve or fifteen years managed hotels in Rome, NY, died in New York Wednesday night (January 21, 1885), of creeping paralysis, a disease which fastened upon him three or four years ago.  He was aged about 75 years.  From 1858 to 1870 he kept at different times the American Hotel, Stanwix Hall, the Railroad House, and what is known as Curry's eating house.  He removed to New York about twelve years ago, where he has ever since resided.  He leaves a wife, four daughters and one son, namely:  Mrs. Geo. P. Russ, of Rome, NY, Mrs. Geo. H. Waters and Fred B. Churchill, Mrs. Jule DeRyther, Mrs. Wm. Belden, of New York city.  (RCJan23/1885)

JEWELL - In Merrimac, Mass., Sunday, January 11, 1885, Rev. HENRY JEWELL. (obit follows)

Death of Rev. Henry Jewell.
     Rev. Henry Jewell, a clergyman who was pastor of the Universalist Church in Rome, NY from 1870 to 1872, died suddenly at his home in Merrimac, Mass., on Sunday evening, Jan. 11, 1885.  For a number of years he had been pastor of the Merrimac Universalist Church, and was in the pulpit when the death angel came.  He had just commenced the exercises at the morning service when he was stricked down by heart disease.  His age was from 72 to 73 years.  Deceased was an earnest, zealous man, and made many friends outside his own demonination while residing here.  He had been in the ministry at his death about half a century, having had pastorates at Lynn, Exeter, Cincinnati, Lynn again, Stoneham, Terra Haute, Rome, Harvard, and Merrimac.   (RCJan23/1885)

WATERS - Mrs. Dr. W.J.P. Kingsley, went to Brooklyn Friday, January 16, 1885, to attend the funeral of her little nephew, HARRY V., son of George S. and Belle V. Waters.  The boy, a bright little fellow of eight years, had died that day of diphtheria, after a brief illness.  (RCJan23/1885)

FREER - PETER B. FREE, son of the late Gordinier Freer, of Rome, New York, died at Austin, Texas, Saturday, January 17, 1885.  For several weeks past he has been in an insane asylum.  His brother, Samuel, has telegraphed to have his remains sent to Rome.  (RCJan23/1885)

WHIFFEN - Miss HORTENSE WHIFFEN, a daughter of Isaac Whiffen, of Utica, New York, and sister of Mrs. W.H. Gibson, of Rome, NY, died Wednesday, January 21, 1885, after an illness of more than a year.  (RCJan23/1885)

SMITH - In Westmoreland, New York.  Mr. OREN SMITH, who has been sick for the past year or more, died Monday morning, January 19, 1885.  (RCJan23/1885)

GOLDEN - MICHAEL GOLDEN, an old resident of Taberg, New York, dropped dead while apparently in his usual health.  His age was about 80 years.  He was buried January 20, 1885.  (RCJan23/1885)

STACE - In Taberg, New York.   Miss CYNTHIA STACE, 17 years of age, a daughter of Robert Stace, Esq., died after a short illness of quick consumption.  Her funeral was held January 21, 1885.  (RCJan23/1885)

WELCH - JOHN WELSH, an old resident of Ava, New York, died last week at his home in the western part of the town.  Mr. Welch was born in Ireland, and came to this country in 1837.  His wife died nearly three years ago.  They had eleven children, all of whom are living.  Five are in California, and the remaining six in Oneida County.  Deceased had lived in this town about 35 years.  Funeral services were held last Sabbath, (January 18, 1885) at the church in Annsville, and his remains were interred in the cemetery by the side of his wife.  (RCJan23/1885)
     [A notice in the Lee Center column states:] JOHN WELCH, an old resident of Point Rock died last Friday morning, January 16, 1885.  Three years ago he buried his wife and has since resided with his son, William.  He leaves eleven children, 5 in California and 6 in Oneida Co.  Funeral held in Belcher on Sunday, January 18, 1885.   (RCJan23/1885)

MURRAY - In Ava, New York.  Mrs. MURRAY, mother of Patrick Tuffey, died last Sabbath, January 18, 1885.  The funeral service was held at Constableville, and her remains interred at the same place.  (RCJan23/1885)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, January 30, 1885

WILCOX - Vernon, New York.  We are pained to chronicle the sad and untimely death of ERASTUS WILCOX.  He spent a good share of the day, Saturday, January 24, 1885, in Oneida, and was last seen alive at the Castle late Saturday night, where he got off a Midland train and started up the West Shore tracks on foot.  His body was found about 10 o'clock Sunday morning by a passing engine in the cut, about a mile east of the Castle, lying in the ditch, where it had been thrown by the train which struck him.  It was badly disfigured.  A coroner's inquest was held.  We have not learned the verdict, but is probable to the effect that he was struck by the cars while intoxicated.  (RCJan30/1885)

CLEMONS - Mrs. CLEMONS, the widowed mother of Mrs. Dudley Rogers of Lee Valley, died last Friday morning (January 23, 1885), at Mrs. Rogers' residence, and the funeral was held at the M.E. Church in the Valley, Sunday P.M.  Rev. J.W. Simpson preached, but the weather prevented many from attending.  (RCJan30/1885)

TALCOTT - In Rockton, Illinois, January 19, 1885, SYLVESTER TALCOTT, aged 74 years.  (obit follows)

Death of a Former Roman.
     Sylvester Talcott, a native of Rome, New York, but for fifty years past a resident of Illinois, died at his home in Rockton, Illinois, January 19, 1885.  His age was 74 years.  Deceased was a son of Capt. William Talcott, who, in the fore part of this century owned and conducted a distillery and potash factory in Spencer Settlement, three miles south of Rome village, where the tannery now is.  In 1835 the father and his four sons (including the subject of this sketch) removed to Northern Illinois, where in 1840 the brothers plotted the village of Rockton.  Sylvester Talcott was the first justice of the peace elected in Winnebago County of which the now flourishing city of Rockford is the county seat.  In the company with his brother Wait and J. H. Manny he was for many years engaged in the manufacture of the Manny reapers and mowers, at Rockford.  He was a staunch abolitionist of the olden time, and was a delegate to the convention in 1844 which nominated James G. Birney for President of the United States.  Among our old residents who will remember him are Jonathan Talcott and Rufus Keeney, who resided in the same neighborhood with him when they were boys.  (RCJan30/1885)

YARWOOD - R.J. YARWOOD, formerly engaged in the furniture and upholstry business in Rome, New York, died at his home in West Branch, Sunday, January 25, 1885, of consumption.  He leaves a widow and two children.  They will receive between $4,000 and $5,000 of life insurance from a couple of beneficiary associations of which he was a member.  (RCJan30/1885)

WATSON - In Rome, New York, January 28, 1885, MOSES G. WATSON. (obit follows)

Death of M.G. Watson.
      Moses G. Watson, whose injury from a fall on the 20th of December has been heretofore recorded in these columns, died from the effects of that injury last Wednesday morning. (January 28, 1885)  It will be remembered that his thigh bone was broken in his fall, and on account of his great age (nearly 87) his physician had no hope from the outset that the bone would ever knit.  This opinion was justified by the event.  Mr. Watson took to his bed and never arose from it.  He continued cheerful, and as comfortable as could be expected, till a few days before his death, when pneumonia supervened, and he sank rapidly til he passed away.  Deceased was one of the old residents of Rome, having come here from Massachusetts in 1828, fifty-seven years ago.  He was a harness-maker by trade, and followed that business for a number of years after coming here; but finally, after having been burned out twice, he relinquished it and engaged in building.  He erected a number of buildings, and continued to work as a carpenter until his age required a cessation of active labor.  His health has continued comparatively good till he met with the accident last month.  Deceased leaves a widow with whom he has walked hand in hand for nearly 58 years, and an adopted son, Walter Watson, of Rome, NY.  A brother survives, Edwin Watson, of Whitesboro, who is very ill of cancer of the stomach and must probably soon follow.  Mr. Watson was a man of integrity, and universally respected where he was known.  Funeral services are at his late residence, No. 112 Thomas street.  (RCJan30/1885)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, February 6, 1885

BACON - In Rome, New York, at the residence of her son-in-law, Bloomfield J. Beach, on Monday, February 2, 1885, in the 75th year of her age. MARY BACON, the widow of Daniel P. Bacon, late of Sing Sing, New York.  (RCFeb06/1885)   (obit follows)

     Mrs. Mary Bacon, widow of Daniel P. Bacon, died last Monday afternoon (February 2, 1885) at the residence of her son-in-law, Hon. Bloomfield J. Beach, on Bloomfield street in Rome, New York.  Deceased was born in the city of New York, and continued to reside there till about 1860, when, with her husband, she removed to Sing Sing, where Mr. Bacon died about five years ago.  About two years since Mrs. Bacon came here to reside with her daughter, Mrs. Beach, and remained here till her death, as above related.  She was 74 years old.  She leaves five children -- three sons and two daughters -- as follows:  Dr. Charles A. Bacon, of Thirty-Fifth stree, New York city; Henry Bacon, Esq., of Goshen, NY; John Blunt Bacon, of Sing Sing; Mrs. Bloomfield J. Beach, of Rome; and Mrs. Charles W. Angelin, of Nineteenth street, New York city.  The remains were taken to Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn, for interment.  (RCFeb06/1885)

WATSON - In Rome, New York, January 28, 1885, MOSES G. WATSON, in his 87th year.  (RCFeb06/1885)

GRIFFITHS - In Remsen, New York, Thursday morning, January 29, 1885, in the 82d year of his age, WILLIAM W. GRIFFITHS, "Llaullawen."  (RCFeb06/1885)

ROBERTS - In Steuben, New York, Tuesday, February 3, 1885, ANN, wife of Richard S. Roberts, and daughter of the late Roland Anthony, of Remsen, NY, aged 43 years, 10 months and 10 days.  (RCFeb06/1885)

BALDWIN - In Rome, New York, February 3, 1885, ELIZA M. BALDWIN, wife of S.C. Baldwin, aged 34 years, 10 months and 8 days.  Funeral will be at the Baptist Church. (RCFeb06/1885)

WALKER - In Rome, New York, February 5, 1885, Mrs. JULIA WALKER, aged 63 years.    (RCFeb06/1885)  (obit follows)

     Mrs. Julia Walker died at her residence, No. 88 Washington street, a little before noon yesterday. (February 5, 1885)  Her age was 63 years and was the widow of the late James Walker, who died a few years ago, and who was engaged in the stove and tinware business in Rome, NY for thirty years or more.  Mrs. Walker had been ill about two months, and it was evident from the first that she could not recover.  Two sons -- Eugene R. and William P. Walker, of St. Louis -- survive her, and both reached here several days before her death.  She will be buried from her late residence at two o'clock Sunday afternoon, (February 8, 1885).   (RCFeb06/1885)

NICHOLSON - In Rome, New York, Monday, February 2, 1885, Mrs. CHARLES H. NICHOLSON, aged 27.  (RCFeb06/1885)  (obit follows)

     Mrs. Charles H. Nicholson died last Monday morning (February 2, 1885) at her residence in the Scudder Block, on James street, aged 27 years.  She was married to Mr. Nicholson two years ago, and had been in feeble health ever since.  For some months past she has not been able to leave her house, and her death was unexpected.  She leaves a mother and other relatives in Hamilton, Madison County, where she formerly resided, and a daughter nine years old, the child of her former husband, is orphaned by her death.  It is a singular and sad coincidence that Mr. Nicholson's first wife (who was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Compton Ferguson of this city) died just eight years before on the same day of consumption.  A large circle of friends sympathize with him in his affliction.  (RCFeb06/1885)

POTTER - In Rome, New York, January 19, 1885, AUGUSTUS S. POTTER, in his 64th year.  (RCFeb06/1885)  (obit follows)

     Mr. Augustus S. Potter died of consumption at the residence of his son-in-law, H.C. Morton, in Rome, NY, January 19, 1885, aged 63 years, 10 months and 10 days.  He had been in feeble health about a year, but was confined to his bed only about four weeks.  He bore his sufferings very patiently and was conscious to the last, talking pleasantly to those around him.  He was a firm believer in the salvation of all men.  He was born in Lee, NY, and, in early life, held the position of post master for a number of years.  In 1846 he was married to Cornelia M. Putnam, eldest daughter of David. Putnam.  In 1848 he went to Delta and purchased a tannery and shoe shop, which were conducted by him seccessfully for several years.  He was a resident of town of Lee until about fifteen years previous to his death, when he removed to Verona and there resided three years.  From there he went to Rome, where he lived until the time of his death.  He leaves two daughters, Mrs. F.M. Bowman and Mrs. H.C. Morton of Rome.  (RCFeb06/1885)

TUTHILL - In Ava, New York, January 25, 1885, Mrs. ELIZABETH TUTHILL.  (RCFeb06/1885)  (obit follows)

     Mrs. Elizabeth Tuthill, relict of Davis Tuthill, died a week ago last Sabbath, (January 25, 1885) aged seventy-two years and six months.  The funeral was held at the residence of her son, on Wednesday, January 28, 1885, and the services were conducted by Rev. D.D. Barnes of Boonville, assisted by Rev. S.M. Fisk and Rev. P.A. Flint, of Ava.  Her remains were interred in the cemetery west of Ava Corners by the side of her husband.  Mr. Tuthill had been dead for quite a number of years, and since his death Mrs. Tuthill has resided most of the time on the old homestead with her son Hubbard.  She was a member of the Baptist Church, and was loved and respected by all who knew her.  (RCFeb06/1885)

WILLIAMS - In West Branch, New York, January 31, 1885, JOHN WILLIAMS.  (RCFeb06/1885)  (obit follows)

     John Williams, an old and respected resident of the town of Lee, NY, living near West Branch, was buried a week ago last Saturday. (January 31, 1885)  The funeral was held at the Friends' Church, and the services were conducted by Rev. Perrin Reynolds, pastor of the church, after which his remains were interred in the cemetery near West Branch.  Mr. Williams was a consistent member of the Society of Friends, and was highly esteemed by all who knew him.  He leaves five sons.  His wife died about fourteen years ago.  She was the daughter of Abner Wood, one of the first settlers of the town of Ava, NY, who came to this town about the year 1800.  (RCFeb06/1885)

MOYER - In Taberg, New York, February 2, 1885, DAVID MOYER.  (RCFeb06/1885)  (obit follows)

     David Moyer, whose condition has been reported from time to time, died at 7:30 o'clock Monday morning. (February 2, 1885).  Mr. Moyer has long been a resident of Taberg, and enjoyed to a great degree the respect and esteem of all who knew him.  He was a soldier during the rebellion, and has been a great sufferer from wounds received while in his country's service.  The disease from which he has been suffering was dropsy of the heart, but the more immediate cause of his death was pneumonia, which set in a short time before his death.  Funeral services will be held at the M.E. Church.  (RCFeb06/1885)

LOBDELL - C.A. Marsh attended the funeral of his sister, Mrs. R.S. LOBDELL, at Utica, New York, Tuesday, January 27, 1885.  (RCFeb06/1885)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, February 13, 1885

EDWARDS - In Rome, New York, February 11, 1885, MARGARET, daughter of John R. and Libbie Edwards, aged eighteen months, of congestion of the lungs, following an attack of measles.  (RCFeb13/1885)

GIBSON - In Whitestown, New York, Thursday, February 5, 1885, ISAAC N., son of Emeline and the late Benjamin Gibson, of Holpen, Missouri, aged 21 years, 9 months and 20 days.  (RCFeb13/1885)

TAYLOR - In Rome Hospital, New York, February 4, 1885, of consumption, ROBERT TAYLOR, in 23d year.  (RCFeb13/1885)

HUGHES - In Alder Creek, New York, February 10, 1885, at the residence of his son-in-law, Evan W. Jones, JOHN W. HUGHES, in the 85th year of his age.  (RCFeb13/1885)

HARDING - In Whitesboro, New Yokr, Sunday, February 8, 1885, MAGGIE JATROST, wife of George E. Harding, aged 21 years and 10 months.

HARDY - In Clayville, New York, February 10, 1885, MARY AGNES, daughter of Richard and Catherine Hardy, aged 6 years.  (RCFeb13/1885)

HATCLIFF - GEORGE W. HATCLIFF, aged 15 years, died Friday, February 6, 1885, of cerebro-spinal meningitis, at the residence of his grandfather, John Hatcliff.  He had been ill about two weeks.  (RCFeb13/1885)

UNGERER - MARTIN UNGERER, aged 91 years, died at the residence og his daughter, Mrs. Christopher Fessman, Monday afternoon, February 9, 1885.  He was about the house in comfortable health on Sunday, but Monday morning was taken down and died at four o'clock P.M.  He was a native of Germany, but had lived in this country about fifty years.  (RCFeb13/1885)

BUTTS - In Des Moines, Iowa, February 8, 1885, JAY D. BUTTS.  (RCFeb13/1885)  (obit follows)

     Jay D. Butts, a son of Mrs. B. Wheat, of Rome, New York, died of consumption in Des Moines, Iows, last Sunday, February 8, 1885.  Deceased learned the printing business in the office of the Rome SENTINEL, but went West five or six years ago, where he married, and where he leaves a young widow and two children.  He was about 24 years old and had been in poor health for several years past.  He was a young man of good habits, and well liked by all who knew him.  (RCFeb13/1885)

CLEVELAND - EPHRAIM CLEVELAND, a native of Western, New York, died at Constantia Center, Oswego Co., several days ago, at the advanced age of 89 years.  Owing to the telegraph lines being down, and the roads being blocked by snow,  information of his death failed to reach his relatives in this vicinity in time to enable them to attend the funeral.  Deceased moved from Western to Constantia some thirty years ago, and has continued to make the latter place his home ever since.  He was a man of sterling integrity, respected and esteemed wherever he was known.  He was a brother of the late Isaac Cleveland of Wright Settlement and John J. Lane, of Rome, NY.  (RCFeb13/1885)

DYER - In East Florence, New York, February 1, 1885,  GARRETT M. DYER.  (RCFeb13/1885)  (obit following)

    Garrett M. Dyer died at East Florence on the first day of the month, (February 1, 1885) of diphtheria, his wife having departed some six weeks before.  They were a most worthy couple.  Of all their relatives in Oneida County, their only child, a young lady some twenty years of age, and Mrs. Dyer's aged father, Mrs. Dyer's aged father, Mr. Hezekiah Wilcox, alone arrive them.  Mr. Dyer was an upright, hard working man.  He was about fifty years old.  He was at the time of his death postmaster at East Florence, which office he had held full twenty years.  In company, with Mr. Wilcox, he was in the mercantile business many years.  The firm Wilcox & Dyer was well and honorably known.  The unfortunate year of hop growing, when many of their customers were unable to pay in time, reduced the firm to very straightened circumstances.  Mr. Dyer was at the house of the writer about the middle of November, and all remarked he had not looked so well in years, and they were the more shocked when they heard of his death.  (RCFeb13/1885)

MASON - In Westernville, New York.  The funeral of Maurice Mason's son GEORGE occurred yesterday (February 10, 1885) at the M.E. Church.  He died Sunday, February 8, 1885 of measles.  He was two years and eight months old.  (RCFeb13/1885)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, February 20, 1885

MONTGOMERY - In Rome, New York, suddenly on Sunday, February 15, 1885, ALEXANDER MONTGOMERY, aged 67 years.  (RCFeb20/1885)  (obit follows)
[two different death dates are given-transcriber]

Died of Heart Disease.
     Alexander Montgomery, steward at the Park House in Rome, NY, died very suddenly at two o'clock, last Saturday (February 14, 1885) afternoon.  He was attending to his duties about the house, when he was noticed by a doestic she was near to suddenly fall to the floor.  He was immediately placed in bed and a physicial called, but before he arrived Mr. Montgomery expired.  The cause of his death was undoubtedly disease of the heart.   Deceased was a native of Westmoreland, where he was born 67 years ago, but had for many years resided in Utica, until he came to Rome about four years ago to take the position of steward in the Park House, which is kept by his brother-in-law, John Wylie.  He leaves a daughter, Miss Sara Montgovery, three sisters, Mrs. John Wylie, of Rome, Mrs. Edward Pratt, of Stanwix, Mrs. J.B. Drummond, of Dix, and three brothers, Asa Montgovery, of Rome, Harvey Montgomery of Westmoreland, and Thomas Montgomery, of Whitestown.  He was buried yesterday in Lowell Cemetery.  (RCFeb20/1885)

LOWELL - In London, England, February 19, 1885, Mrs. JAMES RUSSELL LOWELL.  (RCFeb20/1885)  (obit follows)

Death of Minister Lowell's Wife.
     London, Feb. 19 -- Mrs. James Russell Lowell died this afternoon.  Mrs. James Russell Lowell was formerly Miss Frances Dunlap.  Her father was a wealthy West India merchant, who lost hiis fortune suddenly and died soon after.  He was for a long time one of the wealthiest and one of the most influential citizens of Portland, Maine.  Several of the Dunlap family were connected with Bowdoin College at Brunswick, and the distinguished United States Senator William Pitt Fessenden, was a relative.  Miss Dunlap went to Cambridge, Mass., about 1855, and married Mr. Lowell in 1857, being his second wife.  Six years ago, while in Spain, Mrs. Lowell contracted malarial fevr, and has never entirely recovered from its effects.  She was a woman of great accomplishments, charming manners and sweet disposition, generous and charitable, and much beloved by a large circle of friends.  (RCFeb20/1885)

McMAHON - In New Hartford, New York, February 11, 1885, STEPHEN, son of James and Bridget McHahon, aged 3 years, 1 month and  3 days.  (RCFeb20/1885)

WIGGINS - At her home in Western, New York, February 13, 1885, of apoplexy, HANNAH M. WIGGINS, aged 76 years.  She has always lived in Western NY.  A sister, Miss Nancy Wiggins, and a brother, George, lived with her.  (RCFeb20/1885)

LOOMIS - At Westmoreland, New York, February 13, 1885, Mrs. ACHSAH H. LOOMIS, aged 76 years.  (RCFeb20/1885)  (obit follows)

     The death of Mrs. Achsah H. Loomis, a the ripe age of 76, at Peckville, in the town of Westmoreland, on the 13th inst., removes from that town one of its oldest native born citizens.  Mrs. Loomis was the widow of Henry G. Loomis, and the oldest daughter of Benjamin Graves, and the granddaughter of the elder Deacon Thomas Halbert, remembered by few of the present inhabitants, thereby allying her with three of the prominent families among the early settlers of the town.  She leaves one child, an only son, F.H. Loomis, now residing in St. Paul, Minn., but who was present at her funeral.  She was from early life a member of the Congregational Church, a position, like all the other positions in life which she was called to occupy, she conscientiously and faithfully filled.  Among her many Christian virtues, that of hospitality and a love to make others happy shone prominently.  Her last sickness, which was long and trying, was born without a murmur, and with joyful and unfaltering faith she went quietly home, and her works fullow her.  (RCFeb20/1885)

STANTON - In Utica, New York, Tuesday, February 17, 1885, WILLIAM STANTON, aged 78 years.  (RCFeb20/1885)

GOLLY - In Lee, New York, February 18, 1885, MABEL E., only daughter of Asa T. and Rettie M. Golly, aged 2 years, 4 months and 28 days.  (RCFeb20/1885)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, February 27, 1885

CHAMBERLAIN - ISAAC CHAMBERLAIN, a life long resident of Verona, New York, died February 17, 1885 at half past six in the morning.  He has been in feeble health for two years.  Since last fall he has been confined to the house.  He leaves two sons, Dr. W.H. Chamberlain, of Oneida, and Charles, who lived with his father.  His funeral was held at the house the 20th.  (RCFeb27/1885)-

NEELY - In Whitesboro, New York, February 24, 1885, Dr. HERBERT T. NEELY, aged 28 years.  (RCFeb27/1885)

HAY - In Rome, New York, February 23, 1885, of cerebro-spinal meningitis, LEON WESLEY, son of William and Ella Hay, aged 3 years and 6 months.  (RCFeb27/1885)

BROUGH - In Utica, New York, February 24, 1885, Mrs. CATHARINE BROUGH, aged 98 years, 8 months and 19 days.  (RCFeb27/1885)

MAYNARD - In Utica, New York, February 23, 1885, ISAAC MAYNARD, in the 70th year of his age.  (RCFeb27/1885)

WARD - In Rome, New York, February 24, HENRY WARD, aged 59 year.  He died of dropsy.  A widow, three sons and a daughter survive him.  (RCFeb27/1885)

MILLER - In Taberg, New York, February 14, 1885, SMITH MILLER, aged 86 years.   (RCFeb27/1885)

TRUAX - In Camden, New York, February  14, 1885, JOHN TRUAX, aged 80 years,  (RCFeb27/1885)

BARNES - In West Camden, New York, February 14, 1885, ANN, widow of the late Harvey Barnes, aged 62 years.  (RCFeb27/1885)

SHEPARD - In Camden, New York, February 19, 1885, ROXY, wife of W. H. Shepard, aged 68 years.  (RCFeb27/1885)

WORDEN - At Prospect, New York, February 17, 1885, February 17, 1885, SYLVANUS WORDEN, aged 76 years.  (RCFeb27/1885)

EAMES - In Westmoreland, New York, February 21, 1885, of inflammation of the lungs, MAUDE I., only child of Arthur and Mary Eames, aged 2 years, 1 month and 28 days.  (RCFeb27/1885)

BRODOCK - WILLIAM BRODOCK, who died in Rome, New York February 18, 1885, was buried from the residence of his father, Alonzo Brodock, on Fish Creek.  (RCFeb27/1885)

McCUTCHEON - In Rome, New York, Wednesday February 25, 1885, ROBERT McCUTCHEON.  (RCFeb27/1885)  (obit follows)of Robert McCutcheon.
     Robert McCutcheon, an old and repected citizen of Rome, NY, died on Wednesday evening (February 25, 1885) at his residence in this city.  He had been in poor health for some time, but for nealy three weeks he had been dangerously ill of gastric trouble, of which there seemed no hope of his recovery.  He was nearly 77 years old, and had lived in Rome since 1827, the year he came to this country from Ireland.  In his earlier residence here he  followed teaming, but after his marriage in 1840, he purchased a farm near Stanwix, and continued the farming business till about sixteen years ago, when he moved into the village.  He was twice married, his first wife being Mrs. Jane Riley, who died in 1859, and the second, who survives him, being Miss Cornelia S. Davis (a sister of Justice George W. Davis), to whom he was married in 1861.  He also leaves one son, Frank R. McCutcheon who resides in this city.  Deceased was a kind-hearted man, of sterling integrity, and enjoyed the  confidence and esteem of the entire community.  Funeral services will be held at his late residence, on James street, and remains will be taken to Westernville for interment.  (RCFeb27/1885)

Barbara Andresen