Rome Citizen Death Notices in 1885

Thanks to Barbara Andresen for sending this in!

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, September 4, 1885

BEACH - The remains of Mrs. ELIZA BEACH, a relict of Dr. Samuel Beach, were brought to Taberg, New York, on September 1, 1885 for burial.  Mrs. Beach was one of our oldest residents, and laid down her life burden at the ripe age of 88 years.  She had raised a large family of children, all of whom she had lived to see fill honorable positions in life.  Brief but interesting services were held at the house of C. E. Beach (the old family homestead), conducted by Rev. D.W. Aylesworth, and the remains were placed beside those of her husband in our beautiful cemetery.  (RCSep04/1885)  [additional obit follows]

Death of a Venerable Lady
     Mrs. Eliza Beach, widow of the late Dr. Samuel Beach, of Taberg, died last Sunday afternoon (August 30, 1885) at the residence of her daughter-in-law, Mrs. H.H. Beach, of Thomas St. in Rome, NY.  Deceased was in the 89th year of her age, and was the third wife of Dr. Beach, who was the father of Hon. B.J. Beach and the late Dr. H.H. Beach, of Rome.  She was a sister of the late Bela B. Hyde, of Rome, J.B. Hyde of New York city, and Thomas Hyde of Verona.  She leaves three children -- Charles E. Beach, of Taberg, and Misses Maria and Eliza Beach, of Rome.  She was a worthy and constant member of the Presbyterian Church, and will be mourned by many who loved and esteemed her.  She was interred at Taberg, NY.  (RCSep04/1885)

SWEET - At Whitestown, New York, August 28, 1885, EDWARD C. SWEET, aged 47 years.  (RCSep04/1885)  (obit follows)

     Edward C. Sweet died at his home in Whitestown, NY, August 28th of 1885, aged 47 years.  Mr. Sweet has been ill of consumption for the past years, and a great sufferer.  Previous to his sickness he had been in the postal car services for the N.Y. Central, where he proved himself faithful for eight years, and was highly esteemed.  His death is greatly regreted, not by his family alone, but by a large circle of friends.  His funeral was attended Aug. 31st at 10 A.M., Rev. Mr. Potter, pastor of the Baptist Church, officiating.  The singing was rendered by  a choir of friends.  The floral gifts were beautiful, and presented by immediate neighbors.  The remains were deposited in the cemetery at Green's Corners, where five have been placed in the family lot since Feb. 1, 1883.  He leaves a wife, three daughters and one son.  He was son-in-law of the late Mrs. Sterling.  (RCSep04/1885) [see related notice RCJun26/1885-STERLING]

KNEASKERN -WILLIAM N. KNEASKERN died at his residence on Armstrong avenue, in Rome, New York, Sunday afternoon. ( August 30, 1885) He was aged 67 years.  He came to Rome in 1876, having for fifteen years preceding  kept a hotel in Verona village.  Two daughters survive him.  Mrs. Daniel M. Hall, of Rome, and Mrs. Francis L. Hall, of Oneida.  The remains were taken to Verona for interment.  (RCSep04/1885)

LUDDEN - JAMES LUDDEN, the venerable father of Revs. James Ludden of Albany and Anthony Ludden of Little Falls, was buried from his home in Florence, Oneida County, on Tuesday, September 1, 1885.  (RCSep04/1885)

BECKER - Lee Center, New York news item. of Aug. 31, 1885

     Mr. and Mrs. Becker and their son, a lad of some 10 or 12 years, came to our place last week and were the guests of H. Stokes' family.  A grandson accompanied the family -- a son of Daniel Becker, Jr., of New York city -- five years of age.  While playing at ball, young Becker sportively struck at the hat of his nephew, and hit below it just under one ear.  The boy was carried to the house and was cared for by his grandmother and others, and did not seem very dangerously hurt until in the evening.  He was able to converse, and said that uncle did not mean to hurt him.  He fell asleep awhile, and seemed to rest sweetly, but on his grandmother going to his bed to dress him in his night-clothes and rising him up, he gave a scream, and from that hour until death relieved him from his sufferings he failed rapidly.  He died at 11 o'clock the same evening.  As no communication could reach an undertaker by telephone, a messenger was sent to Rome, and at two o'clock in the morning Mr. Orton came with a hearse and hack.  The family left for their home in Syracuse, carrying with them the precious dust of their once joyous grandchild, who had been placed in care of them for a home.  Sorrow fills the hearts of many relatives, and the homes of friends are saddened by the event.  Mr. Daniel Becker has been out of health for some time, and he had come to make his annual visit at our place and engage in the pleasurable sport of catching fish, but death interrups us frequently when we least expect its coming.  The whole circle of  friends have profoundest sympathy of our community.  It is the first event of the kind that ever happened at our place.  (RCSep04/1885)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, September 11, 1885

MACOMBER - At Sauguoit, New York, August 31, 1885, CALVIN E. MACOMBER, aged 94 years.  (RCSep11/1885)

BROWN - In Rome, New York, September 2, 1885, WARREN BROWN, formerly of Westmoreland, aged 79 years and 3 months.  (RCSep11/1885)

DUNBAR - In Williamsburgh, Michigan, August 23, 1885, Mrs. LYDIA A. DUNBAR, widow of Edwin S. Dunbar, formerly of Camden, NY, in the 72d year of her age.  (RCSep11/1885)

MEAD - In Rome, New York, August 29, 1885, of consumption, Miss JULIA M. MEAD, in the 60th year of her age.  (RCSep11/1885)

ROBERTS - In New London, New York, August 27, 1885, ELIJAH P. ROBERTS, aged 58 years and 8 months.   (RCSep11/1885)

PEARL - In Utica, New York, September 5, 1885, EBENEZER A. PEARL, aged 76 years.  (RCSep11/1885)

BOWEN - In Clinton, New York, August 6, 1885, MARGARET A., wife of William Bowen, aged 35 years.  (RCSep11/1885)

GALIVAN - In Clinton, New York, August 10, 1885, JAMES GALIVAN, aged 80 years [or 30?]  (RCSep11/1885)

GIBBS - In Rome, New York, September 6, 1885, CORA A. GIBBS, youngest daughter of Richard A. and Emma Gibbs, aged 3 years, 10 months and four days.   (RCSep11/1885)

STAFFORD - At Waterville, New York, September 6, 1885, AARON STAFFORD, aged 98 years, 5 months and 18 days.  Maj. Aaron Stafford was a veteran of the war of 1812.  He was the father of Mrs. Henry T. Utley, of Waterville, NY.   (RCSep11/1885)

LYNCH - At Rome, New York, September 10, 1885, CHRISTOPHER J. LYNCH, formerly conductor on the R. W. & O Railroad, died of consumption at his residence on Floyd avenue.  He was 55 years old, and leaves a widow and six children.  His oldest son died a few weeks since of the same diesease.  (RCSep11/1885)  [see related notice (RCAug21/1885)]

MORRISON - Mrs. SETH MORRISON, of Oswego, New York, died of paralysis last Saturday evening (September 5, 1885) at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Calvin Link, on Thomas street, where she had been visiting for several weeks.  She was 76 years old.  She was formerly a resident of Coonrod Settlement, in this town. (Rome, NY)The remains were taken to Oswego for interment.  (RCSep11/1885)

WINTERS - At Deansville, New York, September 5, 1885, WILLIAM B. WINTERS.  (RCSep11/1885)  (obit follows)

Died of Apoplexy.     William B. Winters, a young man of 23 years employed on the farm of George Paige, at Deansville, NY, died there last Saturday evening (September 5, 1885) of apoplexy.  He was in his usual health at noon, and ate a hearty dinner, but about four o'clock he was stricked down while at work in the hop field, and died after a couple of hours without having regained consciousness.  The physician pronounced it apoplexy.  The young man was a son of  John Winters, of Lee Center, but had been at work for Mr. Paige since last April.  An older brother died a few years ago in a similar manner, and this repeated affliction is a severe  blow to the bereaved parents.  Deceased was a brother to Mrs. Paul LaClair, of Stokes, and of L.D. Winters, of Dakota.  He was a young man of good habits, and well liked by all who knew him.  The remains were taken to Lee Center for burial.  (RCSep11/1885)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, September 18, 1885

BAYNES - At Stanwix, New York, September 14, 1885, of cholera infantum, WILLIE BAYNES, son of George and Anna Baynes, aged 10 months.  (RCSep18/1885)

STEBBINS - At Clinton, New York, September 9, 1885, EDWIN J. STEBBINS, aged 74 years.  (RCSep18/1885)

JAMES - In Remsen, New York, of apoplexy, September 10, 1885, Mrs. MARY JAMES, aged 66 years.  She was the wife of David R. James, and mother of John James, South Trenton, and Cornelius James, Gang Mills, and sister of Mrs. John Williams and Hugh Griffiths, Plainfield Center, NY.  (RCSep18/1885)

McINCROW - In Amsterdam, New York, September 15, 1885, THOMAS  S.  McINCROW, of  Utica, NY, aged 44 years.  (RCSep18/1885)

MERRELL - In Denver, Colorado, September 10, 1885, JACOB SPENCER MERRELL [last name is spelt MERRELL and MERRILL in the obituary-transcriber]  (RCSep18/1885)  (obit follows)

     DIED - Of apoplexy, at the St. James Hotel in Denver, Col. Thursday morning Sept. 10, 1885, JACOB SPENCER MERRELL, of St. Louis Mo., formerly of Westmoreland, New York, aged 58 years, 7 months and 5 days.
    The following is taken from the Denver Tribune-Republican and from the Rocky Mountain News of September 11th.

     Hon. Jacob Spencer Merrill, a prominent wholesale druggist and highly esteemed citizen of St. Louis, arrived in Denver with his wife on Wednesday forenoon  (September 10, 1885), over the Kansas Pacific R.R. and feeling somewhat cramped from his long ride from St. Louis to Denver, thought he would walk up to the hotel instead of riding.  He carried in his hand a heavy satchel, weighing from fifty to seventy-five pounds, which he ought to have sent up instead of carrying it himself.  When within two blocks of the hotel, Mr. Merrell met Mr. James A. Tedford, a former St. Louis friend, and had stopped to talk with him a few minutes, when suddenly he put his hand to the right side of his head, complaining of a sharp pain in the right temple.  He soon began to stagger, and Mr. Tedford, holding him, at once assisted him into the office of the Novelty Works, near the door of which they were standing, and seated him in a chair, Mr. Merrell remarking at the time, "I guess I'm done for, Tedford," these being the last words he was ever heard to say.  Dr. J. Sol Smith was quickly summoned, who found Mr. Merrell nearly unconscious.  He saw at once that the case was hopeless, but after a brief examination called a carriage and had the sufferer removed to the St. James Hotel, whither he was bound, and called for consultation Dr. H.A. Lemen.  It was found that the right lobe of the brain was paralyzed from apoplexy, which, of course, paralyzed the entire left side; also the right facial nerve was disabled, and a blood vessel was ruptured at the base of the brain, making the case a very complicated one, and impossible to recover from.  It was discovered that he had for some time been suffering from Bright's disease of the kidneys.  The unfortunate man was partially conscious immediately after the stroke, as he tried with his right hand to help Dr. Smith unbutton his vest.  While in the Novelty Works, and once after getting him onto his bed a the hotel, he extended his right hand to his wife, but could not speak.  He soon, however, relapsed into an entirely unconscious state, and although everything that could be done was done for him, he died, without returning to consciousness, at 3:50 A.M., September 10th, in the presence of his wife, nephew, Principal Warren E. Knapp of the Franklin School, in Denver, a friend, Mr. Preston, and his physcians.  His body was embalmed by Undertaker McGovern, and taken east to St. Louis by his wife and Mr. Preston on the "Thunderbolt," over the Atkinson, Topeka & Santa Fe R.R.
     He was a very active, hard working man, and it is thought the attack resulted from overwork.  The deceased was a very prominent man in St. Louis, both in public life and in business.  He was the founder and sole proprietor of the J.S. Merrell drug manufactory, and also carried on there for many years a wholesale and retail drug trade.  He was a Republican in politics, and had held positions in the School Board, Board of Park Commissioners, and was for several years, until last spring, city treasurer of St. Louis.
     Four years ago Mr. Merrell had a slight shock of apoplexy, so that his family were afraid to let him travel alone.  He came to Denver in response to a call from Mr. Preston, his mining partner, to settle some mining matters, and they were to have gone into the mountains yesterday.  He had quite a number of relatives and friends in Denver.  Among the former may be mentioned W.E. Knapp, principal of the Franklin School, who was with him when he died; L.K. Knapp, with the Denver Manufacturing Company, both of whom were his nephews and former residents of Westmoreland, New York, Mr. Merrell's birth place.  Mr. H.R. Green, commission merchant, and Henry M. Hiscock, of J.M. Moore's Sons' hardware house, were his cousins.  Mr. Merrell leaves, besides his wife, five children, two of whom, one son and one daughter, are married.   (RCSep18/1885)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, September 25, 1885

FISH - In Whitesboro, New York, Thursday, September, 17, 1885, LYDIA FISH, aged 75 years, 7 months and 27 days.  (RCSep25/1885)

JONES - In Trenton, Friday, September 18, 1885, WILLIAM O. JONES, son of the late Owen and Elizabeth Jones, aged 25 years, 3 months and 17 days.  (RCSep25/1885)

WHITACRE - In Cassville, New York, September 16, 1885, at the residence of her son, Henry Whitacre, MARY WHITACRE, widow of the late Samuel Whitacre, in the 96th year of her age.  (RCSep25/1885)

McCONNELL - At the residence of her son, in Marshall, New York, September 18, 1885, MARTHA, wife of the late John R. McConnell aged 92 years and 10 months.  (RCSep25/1885)

CAMPBELL - At New York Mills, New York, Tuesday, September 22, 1885, Hon. SAMUEL CAMPBELL, aged 76 years.  (RCSep25/1885)  (obit follows)

Death of Hon. Samuel Campbell.
     Hon. Samuel Campbell, one of the proprietors for many years past of the celebrated New York Mills cotton factories, died suddenly of apoplexy Tuesday morning (September 22, 1885) in the office of the company, in the village of New York Mills, where he resided.  At the usual early hour in the morning he drove over to the company's supply depot at the Whitesboro station, returning to the office at Middle Mill about 8:30 o'clock.  When he entered the office he looked pale, and complained of feeling faint, and of a strange sensation in his stomach and chest.  His partner, Mr. William D. Walcott, suggested that he was probably suffering from indigestion, but he replied that the difficulty was higher up than his stomach.  He though he would go home after the mail had been brought.  Mr. Walcott went out to look after his horse, leaving Mr. Campbell walking the floor.  He soon took a seat and almost immediately after fell to the floor.  Mr. Westcott, the book-keeper, who was at his desk in the office, hastened to the sick man, raised his head, and called to Mr. Walcott.  Dr. James, who happened to be near, was called in, but Mr. Campbell expired in a few minutes.  Dr. John P. Gray and his son, of the Asylum, were telephoned for, and arrived about 9:20 o'clock.  They found that death was caused by congestive apoplexy.
     Mr. Campbell was 76 years old, and had enjoyed good health all his life, with the exception during late years of occasional bad feelings from indigestion.  He was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1809, coming to this country in 1831 at the age of 22.  He settled at New York Mills, and at once entered the services of Messrs. Marshall & Walcott, the then proprietors of what has since become the great manufacturing establishment.  He showed himself competent and willing to do good work, and rapidly grew in favor with his employers.  He made many valuable improvements in their machinery, and made himself so indispensable that in 1847 -- sixteen years after entering the mills -- he was admitted to partnership in the firm.  From that time to the present, a period of 38 years, he has been an active manager of the business, and has accumulated a large fortune by his habits of thrift and economy.
     As a citizen Mr. Campbell was esteemed and beloved by all his neighbors.  He was a philanthropist in a practical, common sense way; and many who have been aided by his beneficence will mourn his demise and keep his memory green.  In politics he was a staunch Republican, and he spared neither money nor effort during the late civil war to uphold and promote the work of President Lincoln and his coadjutors in putting down the rebellion.  Four years -- from 1866 to 1870 -- he represented Oneida County in the State Senate.  Other positions of honor were tendered him, but he steadfastly refused them.  His success as a stock raiser is remembered by many who were present, or heard of his great sale of blooded cattle twelve years ago this month.  On that occasion 113 animals sold at auction for $354,220 -- a single cow, the eighth Duchess of Geneva, bringing $40,600, and her five months calf selling for $27,000.
     Mr. Campbell was married fifty-three years ago to Miss Agnes Sinclair, a daughter of a Scotch family which had settled near New York Mills ten years earlier.  As illustrating the remarkable health of the family, it is related that no one of Mr. Campbell's descendants -- numbering some twenty-five in all -- was removed by death till after he and his wife had celebrated their golden wedding anniversary.
     Mrs. Campbell and eight children survive the husband and father who has just been taken away.  The children are Margaret Campbell, now Mrs. George H. Warner; Mary Campbell, now Mrs. George H. Peckham; Samuel T. Campbell; Agnes Sinclair Campbell, now Mrs. Dr. Judson B. Andrews, of Buffalo; Elizabeth Sinclair Campbell, now Mrs. I.V. Dorland, of Yonkers; Jane Henderson Campbell, now Mrs. George Coventry; Delia Campbell, now Mrs. James Roberts, and John Sinclair Campbell.  Fifteen grandchildren and a great grandchild are also living.  (RCSep25/1885)

VICKERY - CLAUDIUS VICKERY died of dropsy at his residence on Thomas street, Rome, NY, Tuesday, September 22, 1885, afternoon, aged 82 years.  He had been ill since early summer, and for two days before his death was unconscious.  His remains were taken yesterday to Russia, Herkimer Co., for interment.  He leaves a son and daughter, George Vickery and Mrs. R. H. Champlin.  (RCSep25/1885)

SIMPKINS - Last Sunday, September 20, 1885, Mrs. SIMPKINS, wife of Stephen Simpkins was buried at East Florence, New York.  She was 37 years old, and had been sick a long time with consumption.  She was a sister of George Anson of Taberg, New York.  (RCSep25/1885)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, October 2, 1885

COLE - In Whitesboro, New York, September 30, 1885, ELLA J. SEELYE, wife of John N. Cole.  (RCOct02/1885)

GARRY - In Oriskany, New York, September 30, 1885, PETER GARRY, aged 62 years.  (RCOct02/1885)

GALLUP - In Sauquoit, New York, September 24, 1885, Mrs. NANCY GALLUP, wife of Asher Gallup, in the 75th year of her age.  (RCOct02/1885)

McLEAN - In Rome, New York, September 25, 1885, ANSON McLEAN, aged 87 years.  (RCOct02/1885)

CARPENTER - In Clinton, New York, September 16, 1885, ALLAN BARKER, youngest son of Wm. M. Carpenter, aged 23 years.  (RCOct02/1885)

GRANNIS - In the town of Kirkland, New York, September 28, 1885, CYRUS H. GRANNIS, aged 67 years.  (RCOct02/1885)

THOMAS - At Trenton, September 27, 1885, THOMAS, son of B.P. Thomas, aged 24 years, 5 months and 20 days.  (RCOct02/1885)

POWERS - At New York Mills, New York, September 26, 1885, JULIA F., daughter of Michael and Mary Powers, aged 15 years, 11 months and 12 days.  (RCOct02/1885)

MOORE - At Chadwick's Mills, New York, September 26, 1885, BENJAMIN MOORE, aged 74 years, 11 months and 17 days.  (RCOct02/1885)

CONREY - GEORGE CONREY, a boy 13 years of age, died in Rome, New York, October 1, 1885, from a curious cause.  Some three weeks ago he fell and cut his lips against his teeth, causing the blood to flow.  From the time he was hurt till his death the flow of blood could not be stopped, notwithstanding all the efforts of the physicians, and as a consequence he bled to death.  Physicians say such cases sometimes occur, but they are very rare.  George was the oldest boy of Mrs. Mary Conrey.  (RCOct02/1885)

HALLECK - MORRIS W. HALLECK, a respected citizen of Westmoreland, New York, died at his home, on the road leading from Stanwix to Westmoreland village, early Wednesday morning. (September 30, 1885)  His age was 66 years.  The funeral will occur at his late residence at one o'clock this afternoon.  (RCOct02/1885)

GRISWOLD - Mrs. MOSES GRISWOLD, mother of A. Miner Griswold, well known as the "Fat Contributor," died in Westmoreland, New York, at the residence of her son, Heman H. Griswold, Tuesday morning. (September 29, 1885)  Her age was 83 years.  Deceased was a sister of the late I.T. Miner, of Rome, NY.  She lived nearly her entire life in Westmoreland, and was much esteemed and respected there.  (RCOct02/1885)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, October 9, 1885

MIX - In Camden, New York, September 16, 1885, PHILOMELIA, wife of Alfred Mix, aged 72 years.  (RCOct09/1885)

SIMPKINS - In Camden, New York, September 18, 1885, CATHERINE, wife of Stephen Simpkins, aged 42 years.  (RCOct09/1885)

SCHUHMACHER - In Rome, New York, Oct 1, 1885, PETER SCHUHMACHER, aged 58 years.  (RCOct09/1885)

BASSETT - In Rochester, New York, September 25, 1885, at the residence of her son, Prof. W.G. Bassett, Mrs. LOIS S.  BASSETT, formerly of Boonville, NY, aged 61 years.  (RCOct09/1885)

PETTIS - At New York Mills, New York, October 1, 1885, Mrs. ELIZABETH PETTIS, aged 59 years, 10 months and 25 days.  (RCOct09/1885)

CHENEY - At Philadelphia, New York, October 4, 1885, GEORGE W. L. CHENEY, of Rome, NY, aged 67 years.  (RCOct09/1885)

EVANS - In Oriskany, New York, Monday, October 5, 1885, ISAAC EVANS, aged 62 years, 3 months and 22 days.  (RCOct09/1885)

SHEA - At Upper New York Mills, New York, Monday, October 5, 1885, DANIEL SHEA, aged 84 years, at the residence of John McCabe.  (RCOct09/1885)

LONG - At Washington Mills, New York, Wednesday, October 6, 1885, ELLEN A. LONG, aged 29 years and 2 months.  (RCOct09/1885)

ANGIER - In Rome, New York, Wednesday, October 7, 1885, SABRINA ANGIER, aged 83 years and 2 days.  (RCOct09/1885)

TUTTLE - SILAS TUTTLE, an old resident of the northern part of Lee Center, New York, died October 2, 1885.  The funeral was held at Lee (State road) on Sunday, October, 4, 1885, Rev. J.W. Simpson officiating.  (RCOct09/1885)

PATRICK - Near New London, New York, October 3, 1885, HENRY PATRICK.  (RCOct09/1885)  (obit follows)

Death of Henry Patrick.
     Henry Patrick, who for more than forty years has been a prominent citizen of Rome, New York, died last Saturday (October 3, 1885) at his residence, two miles north of New London, NY, aged 75 years.  Mr. P. was one of the largest land-owners living in the county, having a farm of 1,600 acres.  He formerly did a heavy lumbering business, but of late years has turned his attention principally to dairy farming.  He was a man of sterling integrity, and stood as high in the public estimation as any man in our city.  He leaves a widow and four children -- Frank Patrick, Mrs. Cassius Halstead and Mrs. W. G. Teelin, of Rome, and George H. Patrick, of Saratoga.  (RCOct09/1885)

GROSVENOR - At Rochester, New York, October 4, 1885, Mrs. LAVANTIA GROSVENOR.  (RCOct09/1885)  (obit follows)

Death of Mrs. O.D. Grosvenor.
     Mrs. Lavantia Grosvenor, wife of Oliver D. Grosvenor, died at her home in Rochester, NY. last Sunday morning (October 4, 1885) of heart disease.  Her age was 60 years.  She was a daughter of the late Calvin B. Gay, who forty years ago was the senior member of the law firm of Gay & Beach in Rome, New York. Hon. B.J. Beach being the junior partner.  At that time O. D. Grosvenor was proprietor of the bookstore now conducted by Jones & Armstrong, which a few years later he sold to E.H. Shelley.  Deceased was an amiable ladey, and had many friends among our older residents.  She leaves a husband, a son and two daughters.  The remains were brought to Rome for interment in the Rome cemetery.  The bearers were Messrs. B.J. Beach, D.E. Wager, J.S. Hovey and E.H. Shelley.  (RCOct09/1885)

MILLER - At Rome, New York, October 2, 1885, FREDDIE MILLER, aged 4 years.  (RCOct09/1885)  (obit follows)

A Little Boy Drowned.
     Last Friday (October 2, 1885) evening the alarm bell rang for a lost child, and inquiry revealed the fact that little Freddie Miller, the four-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. James H. Miller, residing on Park St. in Rome, New York had wandered from home and could not be found.  As he had been playing on the bank of the Black River Canal, near the second lock, Friday afternoon, it was feared he might have fallen in, and the fear became almost a certainty when his playthings were found there.  The levels of the canal were drawn off, but the body was not found.  The search continued two or three days, and was rewarded Monday afternoon.  A grapnel thrown from the little steamer C. Breeze, when just below dock No. 1, on the Erie Canal level, brought the body to the surface, and it was taken to the home of the bereaved parents.  Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon.  The boy had probably fallen in where he was playing on the bank, and when the levels were drawn off to search for him the body was doubtless taken through the locks by the swift current.  (RCOct09/1885)

BICKNELL - Mrs. ELLEN BICKNELL, widow of the late Rev. James Bickness, died at her home near Dix, in the town of Westmoreland, New York, last Friday, (Oct 2, 1885) at the age of  72 years.  (RCOct09/1885)

LEWIS - CLARK LEWIS, father of Wm. H. Lewis of Rome, New York, died at his home in Cassville, NY, last Friday night.  (Oct 2, 1885)  He was 74 years old, and formerly resided in Verona, near New London, NY.  (RCOct09/1885)

BENEDICT - Mrs. ANGELINE BENEDICT, wife of Nelson Benedict, died at her home on East Dominick street Wednesday evening, (October 7, 1885) aged 43 years.  She was a daughter of the late Harrison Jacobs, and sister of Mrs. Edward Campbell.  She had been in poor health for several years, but considerably worse for the last seven months.  She leaves a husband and two children -- a son and a daughter.  (RCOct09/1885)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, October 16, 1885

SHAW - In Clayville, New York, Saturday, October 10, 1885, after a long and painful illness.  Mr. JOHN SHAW, aged 82 years.  (RCOct16/1885)

CHASE - In Rome, New York, October 11, 1885, G. HARRY CHASE, only son of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. W. Chase, aged 19 years.  (RCOct16/1885)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, October 23, 1885

JAMES - In Rome, New York, October 20, 1885, RICHARD JAMES, aged 86 years.  (RCOct23/1885)

HUMASTON - In Camden, New York, October 9, 1885, HANNAH HUMASTON, aged 77 years.  (RCOct23/1885)

FARRELL - In Camden, New York, October 13, 1885, MARY FARRELL, aged 66 years.  (RCOct23/1885)

BAYLEY - Entered into rest on Sunday, October 18, 1885, from his home in Utica, New York, Rev. JOHN BAYLEY, aged  73 years and eight months.  (RCOct23/1885)

RICHARDS - In Marcy, New York, October 21, 1885, DAVID RICHARDS, aged 68 years, 11 months and 8 days.  (RCOct23/1885)

BARNES - In Utica, New York, October 19, 1885, ABRAM  A.  BARNES, aged 86 years, 1 month and 15 days.  (RCOct23/1885)

LATHERS - In Camden, New York, October 15, 1885, ANTHONY LATHERS, aged 81 years.  (RCOct23/1885)

CRAIG - In Camden, New York, October 15, 1885, ELIZABETH, infant daughter of  Andrew and Teressa Craig, aged 7 months and 6 days.  (RCOct23/1885)

BIRNIE - Lee Center, New York.  The late JOHN BIRNIE left, in his last will a clause giving his executors power to build a good substantial front fence in front of the cemetery.   (RCOct23/1885)

HARDIMAN - JOHN HARDIMAN, a fireman employed in one of the cotton mills at New York Mills, New York, was suffocated by gas last Sunday afternoon (October 18, 1885) while trying to repair a damper in a boiler flue.  He was 57 years old, and leaves  a widow, two sons and five daughters.  (RCOct23/1885)

LEE - At Utica, New York, October 17, 1885, BRIDGET LEE.  (RCOct23/1885)   (obit follows)

Killed by Gas.
     A young girl of fifteen came into Utica, New York, on the Black River Railroad on Thursday evening of last week (October 15, 1885), and took rooms at Bagg's Hotel  She desired to take the 6:15 train east in the morning and left orders that she should be called in time.  The night porter rapped at her door in the morning, but failing to obtain any answer, he concluded she had changed her mind and decided to take a later train.  Soon afterward the housekeeper, in passing through the hall, smelled gas, and gave the alarm.  The door was opened, and the girl found lying on the bed in an unconscious state.  The gas was not burning, but was turned on full head, showing that she had blown it out instead of turning it off.  A physician was called, and every effort put forth to resuscitate her, but without avail.  She died about 8 o'clock Saturday morning. (October 17, 1885)  An examination of her baggage showed that her name was Bridget Lee, and it was also demonstrated that she was a professional beggar.  She had stopped at Remsen, Trenton, and other places along the railroad, and gone from house to house asking for assistance.  Some $25 in money was found in her pocketbook.  She had represented that she came from St. Johns, New Brunswick, and was desirous of getting to Albany.  (RCOct23/1885)

FOSTER - At New York city, New York, October 11, 1885, JAMES H. FOSTER.  (RCOct23/1885)  (obit follows)

Death of James H. Foster.
     The death of James H. Foster, which we mentioned last week, occurred in New York city, instead of Chicago -- the mistatement resulting from the burial taking place in Chicago.  The death was from heart disease, and was very sudden, though Mr. F. had been in poor health for some time.  About two o'clock Sunday morning, October 11, 1885, feeling very restless, he arose from his bed and commenced walking about the room.  Suddenly he fell into the arms of his son, who was caring for him, and died almost instantly.  Deceased was the only son of Hon. Henry A. Foster, and was in the 55th year of his age.  He was a native of  Rome, NY, but went to Chicago and engaged in the dry goods business thirty-three years ago.  He continued to reside there until 1879, when he removed to St. Louis, and afterward to St. Paul.  Last January he removed to New York, where he remained until his death.  He leaves a widow and two sons -- the latter being engaged in business in Chicago.  He was the brother of Mrs. G.H. Lynch of Rome, NY,  and Mrs. D.L. Boardman of Troy, NY.  (RCOct23/1885)

NEWTON - WILLIAM NEWTON and Patrick Berrical of Dunbarton, went to Canastota last Tuesday (October 20, 1885) after a load of lumber.  They got on rather more liquor than was neccessary, and just before reaching home in the evening tipped the load over, and Newton's neck was broken in the fall.  His dazed companion went home and went to bed, telling his wife that Newton was in the canal.  She alarmed the neighbors, who went out and found the body.  Another bad case of whisky.  (RCOct23/1885)

From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Friday, October 30, 1885

JAMES - In New Hartford, New York, Wednesday, October 24, 1885, JOHN JAMES, aged 69 years.  (RCOct30/1885)

SWEATLAND - In Camden, New York, October 22, 1885, MARY J., wife of William Sweatland, aged 62 years.  (RCOct30/1885)

COOK - In Camden, New York, October 27, 1885, CHARLES E. COOK, aged 27 years.  (RCOct30/1885)

TUTTLE - In New London, New York, on Sunday, October 25, 1885, Mrs. SALMON TUTTLE, aged 65 years and 5 months.  (RCOct30/1885)  (obit follows)

Death of Mrs. Salmon Tuttle.
      Mrs. Sarah Tuttle, wife of Salmon Tuttle, a prominent citizen of New London, New York, died at her home in that village last Sunday afternoon. (October 25, 1885)  She had been in poor health for a year past, but was able to be about the house up to the hour of her death.  The immediate cause of her death was paralysis of the heart.  Her age was about 65 and a half years.  Deceased was a daughter of the late Aaron Bailey, of Vienna, New York, and a sister of Aaron Bailey of Rome, NY.  She  was married in 1846, to Salmon Tuttle, and was the mother of four sons, three of whom survive her, viz.:  Florimund B, and Zophar J., of New London, and Frank J., of Boonville.  A stepson, Grant Tuttle, resides at Griswold, Illinois.  She was a lady respected and esteemed in the circle in which she moved, and her death is a loss not only to her family but to the community.  She was buried on Tuesday from the New London M.E. Church.  (RCOct30/1885)

BAIRD - EDWARD P. BAIRD, formerly city judge of Yonkers, N.Y., died suddenly at his home in Minneapolis, Minn., last Tuesday evening. (October 27, 1885)  He was a son-in-law of Rev. Selden Haines of Rome, New York, and leaves a widow and several children.  (RCOct30/1885)

Barbara Andresen