Source: Transactions of The Oneida Historical
Society, at Utica, N. Y. 1881 – 1884,
Printed by Ellis H. Roberts & Co., 1885.
Many thanks to Laura Perkins!
4/7 (see end of list)
The monument erected by the Oneida County Historical Society to mark the spot where one hundred and seven years before the battle of Oriskany was fought and General Herkimer fell, was dedicated August 6, 1884. The exercises were appropriate and successful in every way. The day was fine, and the attendance good.
The little village of Oriskany and people living in the neighborhood joined in the spirit of the day and welcomed the visitors by numerous and profuse decorations of bunting and evergreen.
When the exercises began there were
about six thousand persons present. They came not only from Utica
and Rome and intermediate points, but from points east of Utica and in
the northern part of the country. They came in the cars, in canal
steamboats, carryalls, hacks, carriages and wagons. They came on
foot, on wheels and on horseback by hundreds and thousands.
The exercises were held on the north or shady side of the monument. Two large American flags were draped above the roster tablet, and bouquets ornamented the tables on the platform.
*(partially extracted) -From the Presentation Address, by John F. Seymour, Chairman of the Committee, as he describes the monument.
You have before you the results of our efforts, in a monument, the top of which is 190 feet above the level of the water in the Erie Canal in the valley below you. The pedestal and shaft of this monument are 85 feet high, built upon a foundation which is 105 feet above the level of the canal, built by Mr. William Jones, of Utica, a master mason. Large as the pedestal and shaft appear, they contain less stone than the foundation beneath them. This foundation has a base of 24 feet and 4 inches square, with a top 20 feet and 2 inches square, and is laid in Portland and Howe’s Cave cement 13 feet deep in the ground.
The stone used for the foundation, for the shaft and the the backing of the granite pedestal is the limestone of the valley of the Mohawk and of the Onondaga county, the gift of the people of this State to your Society for the purposes of this monument. It is all laid in the best of Portland and Howe’s Cave cement and with Schoharie sand. The pedestal is of granite, from the Mt. Waldo Granite works of Maine. It is 19 feet high, 20 feet square at its base and 8 feet 3 inches at its top. Upon this pedestal rests an obelisk 66 feet high. All of the masonry above the foundation is the work of Alexander Pirnie, of Remsen. On each side of the die of the pedestal is a bronze tablet six feet wide and four and a half feet high. Two of the bronzes, in bas relief, tell their own story, of the wounded general directing the battle, and the mortal conflict between the Indian and the white man. Of the two remaining tablets, one is a dedication written by Professor Edward North, of Hamilton College, and the other is a roster containing the names of all those engaged in the battle on our side, as far as we can ascertain them---only 250 out of 800---thus telling the deadly character of the conflict.
These tablets are the work of the National Fine Arts Foundry, of the city of New York, carried on by Judge Maurice J. Power, who united with the Mt. Waldo Granite Works in the design and contract for the monument, dated July 4, 1882. We bought of Mr. William Ringrose five acres, (lacking thirteen rods,) of this battlefield, including the site of this monument, and have paid for the same. The cost of the land, and material, and labor, and fence, will not be less than $12,000.
There were many speeches given that
day, about the stories of the battle and the men who fought so gallantly.
The exercises concluded with the singing of “The Star Spangled Banner”
by William Spruce, whose ringing voice was heard by all. The crowd
DEDICATORY INSCRIPTION ON BRONZE TABLET
HERE WAS FOUGHT
THE BATTLE OF ORISKANY,
ON THE 6TH DAY OF AUGUST, 1777
HERE BRITISH INVASION WAS CHECKED AND THWARTED.
HERE GENERAL NICHOLAS HERKIMER,
INTREPID LEADER OF THE AMERICAN FORCES,
THOUGH MORTALLY WOUNDED KEPT COMMAND OF THE FIGHT
TILL THE ENEMY HAD FLED.
THE LIFE-BLOOD OF MORE THAN
TWO HUNDRED PATRIOT HEROES
MADE THIS BATTLE GROUND SACRED FOREVER.
THIS MONUMENT WAS BUILT
A. D. 1883, IN THE YEAR OF INDEPENDENCE 107,
BY GRATEFUL DWELLERS IN THE MOHAWK VALLEY,
UNDER THE DIRECTION
OF THE ONEIDA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
AIDED BY THE NATIONAL GOVERNMENT
AND THE STATE OF NEW YORK.
THE ORISKANY ROSTER,
AS INSCRIBED ON THE BRONZE TABLET
Jacob G. Klock,
Harmanus Van Slyck.
Dr. Wilhelm Petry,
Dr. Moses Younglove.
George H. Bell,
John James Davis,
Christoph P. Fox,
Christoph W Fox,
Dietrich M. Petrie.
Han Jost Petrie,
Abram D. Quackenbush,
Johann Jost Scholl,
Martin C. Van Alstyne,
Peter Wagner, Jr.
Wilhelm P. Bellinger,
George Henry Bell,
Peter S. Deichert,
Heinrich N Fehling,
Johann A. Harter,
Johann Adam Helmer,
John J. Klock,
Johann P. Muller,
Johann D. Nellis,
Isaak Paris, (Member Prov. Con- gress,)
Johann Marx Petrie,
Adolph Sieber, Jr.,
Johann G. Silberbach,
Johann Schnell, Jr.,
Thomas Spencer, (Indian,)
Philip G. Stowitz,
John Van Antwerp,
George Van Deusen,
Cornelius Van Horn,
Henry Van Horn,
Nicholaus Van Slyke,
Peter J. Weber,
Capt. Han Yerry Tewahangaraghkan, Indian officer,
Lt. Colonel Louis Atyataronghta, Indian officer.
Christian Edick (Ittig), my 9th generation daddy, born 1736 Fort Herkimer
and died Nov 1792.....he was in the 4th Tryon regiment and fought
at the Battle of Oriskany, believe as a sergeant and also an early POW.
Contributed by Bobbie Jones at Bobbie7770@aol.com