Records of Whiskey Island Civil War Soldiers.
Whiskey Island was/is in between Elpis, West Vienna and North Bay.
Most of the residents were buried in Maple Flats Cemetery.
1. Newton F. CHURCH, Sargt., enlisted August 4, 1862 in 117th farmer died of measles June 1 , 1863. Left wife Sarah and three sons, Albert N., Auson A., Franklin W.
2. George Milton DUNHAM, Pvt., enlisted August 8, 1862 in 117th Regt. boatman discharged from hospital. (In the hospital one year. Later in life became a Free Methodist minister. Married Martha AUDAS. Had a son, Erie.)
3. John Higley DUNHAM, Pvt., enlisted August 8, 1862 in 117th Regt. boatman. Died of wounds Nov. 17, 1864.
4. Orlando DUNHAM, Pvt., enlisted August 9, 1862 in 117th Regt. boatman. Promoted to corporal January 16th, 1865. Discharged. Wounded at Petersburg.
5. Charles H. FELLOWS, Pvt., enlisted August 12, 1862 in 117th Regt. farmer discharged Nov. 10, 1862. Enlisted again in August or September 1864, Co. K, 189th Infantry.
6. Daniel MILLER, Pvt., enlisted August 12, 1862 in 117th Regt. farmer discharged from hospital. Buried in Maple Flats.
7. Lewis HOLMES, Pvt., enlisted August 9, 1862 in 117th Regt. Farmer
8. Richard JONES, Pvt., enlisted August 8, 1862 in 117th Regt. farmer.
9. Stephen JACKSON, Corp., enlisted August 7, 1862 in 117yh sawyer died July 5, 1863.
10. Zacheriah FELLOWS, 34 yrs., enlisted December 25th, 1861 in the 97yh N.Y. Art., Pvt. promoted to corporal and detailed as hospital cook. Killed at Antietam.
11. Alexander DUNHAM, Co. K 189th N.Y. Inf. (Buried in Maple Flats Cemetery. His death date not engraved on his tombstone.) This makes four DUNHAM brothers in Civil War.
12. Jerome Q. FELLOWS, Co. G 97th Regt., N.Y. Vol. Died February 11th, 1917. (Married Sophia DUNHAM, sister of the DUNHAM brothers.)
13. James Llewellyn ARMSTRONG, Co. K 189th N.Y. Inf. Died November 28th, 1925. (Born May 14th, 1846.)
14. James B. HOLMES, Co. K 189th Inf. (Brother of Lewis.) Died May 15th, 1912.
15. William Walter MARSHALL enlisted January 27th, 1862 in the 93rd N.Y. Wounded in shoulder at Cold Harbor and died.
16. Stephen MARSHALL, 110th N.Y. Vol., enlisted August 12th, 1862. Had yellow fever. (He was 54 or 56 when he enlisted.)
17. William BROSMERE, Pvt., Co. K. 2nd Art. wounded discharged October 9, 1864.
18. Simon BROSMER, enlisted August 14, 1862. Mustered in as Private Co., K August 14, 1862, to serve three years in 2nd N.Y. Heavy Art. Died November 24, 1862 at Ft. Corcoran, VA. Aged 18 years.
19. William GOODNOW (GOODNOUGH) born 1836, died 1902 buried at Maple Flats. Co. H, 150th N.Y. Regt.
20. Amiziah ARMSTRONG, enlisted September 25, 1863, for three years. He was forty years old. He was a cook. The story is he got $1,000 bounty and then deserted.