This town has an existence of one year before Oneida county was formed. Trenton was erected from the town of Schuyler, then in Herkimer county, on the 24th of march, 1797. Its 27,292 acres embrace almost the whole of the Servis patent and a large tract of the Holland patent in the western part; both of these patents are described in Chapter X, and the accompanying map shows their boundaries in relation to this town. Trenton lies on the eastern side of Oneida county about in the center from north to south. West Canada Creek forms a part of its eastern boundary, as it does also the boundary of the county at of the county at that point. Cincinnati Creek flows through the northern part and Nine Mile Creek through the southern part. The surface of the town is hilly and broken, rising in places from 400 to 600 feet, and the streams have many cascades and falls, chief of which is the celebrated Trenton Falls on the West Canada Creek. The soil is sandy and clayey loam admirably adapted to grazing. The Trenton Falls have acquired more than a local reputation and the grand and picturesque scenery in that vicinity is not excelled in Central New York. The upper fall is called Prospect Fall, where the water has a descent of twenty four feet. A short distance farther down the stream it becomes very narrow and the tumultuous waters plunge through the gorge in wild confusion. Into this gorge there is no place of easy descent until the Summit House is reached, from which point the boiling rapids continue until the so called Cascade of the Alhambra is reached, a waterfall of matchless beauty. Below this the waters spread out in foamy level, only to enter another gorge farther down in which is the Mill Dam Fall of fourteen feet. Below this the scenery of the battlemented rocks and crags, along the feet of which plunges the imprisoned stream, is magnificent. The High Fall comes next and is not only beautiful in itself, but is surrounded with scenery of the most picturesque loveliness and grandeur. Farther down is the beautiful Sherman Fall, and below that is the Village Fall, after leaving which the waters flow onward in placid peace. The total descent of the five separate falls is about 200 feet, within a distance of half a mile. Trenton Falls is a popular resort and was first prominently brought into notice by John Sherman, who conducted the first hotel for visitors, erected in 1822, as noticed further on. The first town meeting in Trenton was held in the village of Olden Barneveld, as Trenton was first named, on the 4th of April, 1797, at the house of Thomas Hicks, and the following officers were chosen: Supervisor, Adam G. Mappa; town clerk, John P. Little; assessors, Thomas Hicks, Cheney Garrett, David Williams; commissioners of highways, Peter Schuyler, David Stafford, William
Miller; overseers of the poor, Gerrit Becker, Peter Garrett; collector, Daniel Bell; commissioners of schools, Peter Schuyler, John Hicks, David Williams; constable, Daniel Bell, Jacob P. Nash, Solomon Gillett; fence viewers, Gerrit Boon, William Johnson, Solomon Gillett; pound master, Jacob T. Smits, James Holibert; overseers of highways, on the road to Fort Schuyler, Francis Adrian Van der Kemp; on the road to Steuben, Joseph Brownell; on the road to Canada Creek, David Corp; on the road to Fort Stanwix, Abner Matthews; on the road to White's Tavern, Jonathan Graves. The first settlement made in this town was by Gerrit Boon, who came from Holland, and has already been mentioned in a previous chapter as the pioneer to make improvements in the town of Boonville. Mr. Boon came into Trenton in 1793 from Old Fort Schuyler, marking trees along his route, and halted on the site of the village of Trenton. Here he foresaw the building up of a thrifty settlement and he gave it the name of Olden Barneveld. Mr. Boon came as one of the several agents of the great Holland Land Company, which owned vast tracts of land in this State. After faithfully serving his employers in this country a few years he returned to his native country and died there. He was a man of ability and integrity. He built a frame house on the village site, which was subsequently removed across the road, was enlarged and still stands. John C. Owens occupies it. A stone dwelling was built on the Boon place and the property is now owned in the Wicks family. Mr. Boon also attempted to build a dam and a stone grist mill on the Cincinnati Creek, the ruins of which are still visible; he did not succeed in making his dam permanent, and abandoned it for another site farther up stream. Mr. Boon was not practical, apparently, in some directions and certainly was not conversant with many features of the new world. It is said that when he first saw maple sap flow and sugar made from it, he was enthusiastic and resolved to go into the business and follow it year round. Col. Adam G. Mappa and his family followed Boon from Holland and Mr. Mappa succeeded the latter as agent of the land company. Within a year or two Francis Adrain Vanderkamp and his family, also from Holland, came here to reside. Mappa and Vanderkamp became close friends here, as they had been in Holland. Vanderkamp was imprisoned in Holland for taking part in the revolution of 1786, but was ransomed, and on his arrival in this country settle first at Esopus and afterwards on an island in Oneida Lake. His son, John J. Vanderkemp, was the first clerk in
the land company's office here under Colonel Mappa, and later became the company's chief agent with headquarters in Philadelphia. Dr. Luther Guiteau, whose name had been frequently mentioned in earlier chapters of this volume, was born in Lanesboro, Mass., and settled in Trenton in 1802, where he practiced his profession until his death in 1850. He was succeeded in his practice by his son of the same name. Their old office is still standing in the village. It was in 1802 that Rev. John Taylor visited this part of the country and wrote a report of his journey. Under date of August 3 he states that "at Trenton, six miles east of Floyd, he put up with Rev. Mr. Fish, from New Jersey, who was employed part of the time by the people of the town, and rode as a missionary the remainder". The next day Mr. Taylor wrote: "Trenton, 17 miles north of Utica. In this place there is no church formed. A majority of the people are Presbyterians; the remainder are Baptists and person of no religion, and a few Methodists". He then adds: "I visited a school of 50 children, who have a good instructor." In this early school house the people met for religious worship; the Rev. Mr. Fish mentioned was probably the first preacher in the town and the first pastor of the church organized at Holland Patent in 1797, as noticed further on. About 1803 Rev. John Sherman became pastor of the Unitarian church at Trenton, organized in 1803. In 1812 Mr. Sherman founded an academy in the village, which he successfully conducted a number of years and educated a large number of scholars. He was a finely educated man, an eloquent preacher and a writer of ability. He was enraptured over the falls and their surroundings, and believed from the first that the locality would eventually become a popular resort. He therefore purchased of the Holland Land Company in 1822, sixty acres of land including the first fall (which took his name), and built on the site of the later hotel a small structure which he called Rural Resort. This house was at first only opened for day visitors and guests, but in 1824 Philip Hone and family, and Dominick Lynch (the pioneer of Rome) and his family came from New York and insisted on remaining over night. During the visit Mr. Hone asked the preacher why he did not build a larger house and make it known to the public. The answer was another question, whether Mr.
Hone ever knew a minister who had any money. The result was a tender of a loan to Mr. Sherman by Mr. Hone of $5,000, which was accepted and the Trenton Falls House was erected. Rev. Isaac B. Pierce succeeded Mr. Sherman as pastor of the Unitarian church and acceptably served the congregation for twenty five years. From a Centennial address delivered in Trenton July 4, 1876, we quote the following paragraphs of important early history of this town: You have living in your neighborhood a man who was born before any white man ventured to think of settling here, - Vincent Tuttle, of Holland Patent. He was born in 1790, and now, eighty six years old, with a firm step and sound memory, he is here to celebrate with you this centennial Fourth of July. He came here in March, 1804. He tells me that at that time the clearing was only as far as the place where the Prospect Village now is, was covered by dense forest; that he helped cut the road towards Prospect, in from of Mr. Wm. Perkins' land, in 1807; that the village of Prospect was laid out by Col. Mappa in 1811, and by him named Prospect; and that when he came here Col. Adam G. Mappa resided where we are now assembled, but in the frame house built by Gerrit boon; that in 1809, the Holland Land Company built, at a cost of $13,000 this stone mansion, which has witnessed many assemblages of distinguished people, that in 1804 the stone grist mill on the flat was in good order, but the dam had been carried away by a flood. This mill was built by Boon, at the expense of the Holland Company, to save the settlers the time and labor and difficulty of walking to Whitesboro to get flour. The location of this dam and mill proving unfortunate, the Holland Land Company abandoned it, and built a new grist mill on the Cincinnati Creek, a few rods below the location of Parker's present foundry, at the foot of the first fall below the bridge. This company also built a saw mill on the site of the present saw mill. These mills the Holland Land Company sold to Peter Schuyler, who owned and ran them several years, and then sold to James Parker, an important and early settler, who occupied and ran the mills many years, day and night, doing a large business, customers coming from Steuben, Remsen, and Boonville to have their grist ground. The farmers then raised their own wheat and had it for sale. But until a grist mill was built here they could obtain no flour without walking from here to Whitesboro. The road was impassable in any other way. There as no flour then to be purchased at stores. The whole community was intensely excited about the grist mill. They could not run the risk of the old location; that must be abandoned, and a reliable mill built at once. This was done, and thereby a great trade was brought to Trenton. Tailors and boot and shoe makers had no shops, but went from house to house mending and making up for the year. The women of the county carded by hand the fleeces of wool clipped by the farmers. They spun and made yarn, and then by hand looms, such as is worked to day by Mrs. Perkins, at Prospect, they wove their own dresses, which lasted for years, and were handed down from the mother to the youngest child; and the farmer sowed flax, and when it was broken and made ready for the spinning wheels, the women took it and
made all their linen for household uses. You can readily imagine, therefore, what a blessing to the women was a carding and fulling mill; and so there was rejoicing in this land when, in 1806, a man by the name of Ensign put up a carding and fulling mill on the Cincinnati Creek, just above the foundry. The falls on the creek opposite the Prospect Depot are sometimes called Ensign Falls, - after the builder of this carding and fulling mill. He sold out to Timothy Powers, who built new and larger works, and did a great deal of business for several years. His carding mill stood where the present foundry is located. The first male child born in the town was a son of James Parker, already mentioned; he was named Adam, after Colonel Adam Mappa, although many supposed he was called Adam because he was the first man. George Parker, another son of James Parker, was the father of Messrs. Parker who now own the foundry. He was a very ingenious mechanic. He learned his trade with Shubael Storrs, a watch maker in Utica, and then returning to Trenton, built a foundry on the Cincinnati Creek, just above the present foundry. This was built a foundry on the Cincinnati Creek, just above the present foundry. This was subsequently turned into a grist mill, which was short lived affair, and the building now remains unoccupied. Mr. Tuttle informs me that in the fall of 1804 Captain John Billings and Mr. James Douglas, of Westfield, Mass., came to Trenton. They were merchants, and by marriage related to one another, and to Dr. Guiteau. They were both Democrats, and could live in harmony, and they entered into a partnership which lasted several years. Mr. Billings was appointed post master in 1805, and held his position about fifty years, and accounted for every cent of the receipts in his office. He was born in 1781, and died in 1863. The grandfather of Mr. James Douglas was a native of Scotland. He became a planter on the island of Jamaica. He had two children, a son and a daughter. His son, Thomas James Douglas, at the age of eighteen, and in the years of 1758, came to America, with two servants, landing at Providence, Rhode Island. He engaged in the Revolutionary struggle with Great Britain, holding the commission of major in the army. He correspondence is still extant. His son, James Douglas, was born at Westfield, Mass., in 1778, and, as I have already mentioned, came here I the fall of 1804, with Captain Billings. They were strongly urged to stop at Utica, but the hillsides about Utica were very wet, while the lowlands were subject to the overflowing of the Mohawk River, and they decided to come here. Mr. Douglas died in 1851, of the Mohawk River, and they decided to come here. Mr. Douglas died in 1851, leaving a widow and sons and daughters, who survive him. Captain Billings held a commission in the war of 1812, and went with his company to Sackett's Harbor. For thirty years Mr. Douglas and Captain Billings were associated in business, and when they dissolved partnership the new firm was Douglas & Son. About 1810 there were five stores at Trenton, which were carried on by the following persons: Mappa & Remsen, Chapman & Cooper, Billings & Douglas, Brooks & Mason, and Mr. Griswold. At that time there was no village of Prospect. There was Remsen, but no store there; Holland Patent, but no store there; Russia, but no store there; and thus the trade of that part of Herkimer county, and all this part of Oneida county, was tributary to your village, and some of your trade came over from Martinsburg.
Mr. Tuttle states that Colonel Thomas Hicks built the house in which Dr. Guiteau now resides. Colonel Hicks was an influential and active citizen, and an earnest Federalist. The house in which Judge Vanderkamp resided Mr. Tuttle thinks was built by him. This is quite likely, but the original poor, thin, cold building cannot now be recognized in the pretty and comfortable cottage occupied by Mr. Silsbee. From 1816 to 1871 Mr. Tuttle owned 164 acres of land, which included all of Trenton Falls on the west side of Canada Creek up to Fanning's (now Perkins') south line, except the first, or Sherman's Fall. He gave for it, in 1816, from $20 to $25 per acre, and sold it, in 1871, to Mr. Moore, for $100 per acre; but Mr. Moore occupied the land twenty years before he purchased it. Mr. Tuttle states that prior to 1832 those who wished to see the Falls used to stop at the Backus Hotel, - now Mr. Skinner's house, - in your village, and then go to the ravine by a path across the fields and through some gates. About the year 1822, Joseph Bonaparte, who then lived in New Jersey, gave some money to Mr. Backus to blast out some of the rock in the ravine, so as to make a safe walk up to the first fall. Bonaparte was delighted with the beauty of the falls, and predicted that they would be of great note; and today Mr. Moore's register will show the names of visitors from all parts of the world. Among the first settlers, Judge John Storrs held the office of supervisor eleven years, Peter Schuyler ten years, and William Rollo eighteen years. When we look back upon the early settlers, we wish we had the time to give the name and history of every one; but they number between two hundred and three hundred as early as 1804. Pascal C.J. De Angelis came over from the old country in his boyhood, took part in the naval service of the Revolutionary war, and was captured by the British and confined in Dartmoor prison. After the war he build and commanded a vessel in the merchant service. Becoming acquainted with Mr. Johnson, one of the proprietors of the Holland patent,¹ he was persuaded by his friend, Mr. Fisk, to join with him and a Mr. Hubbard in the purchase of one quarter of the Holland patent. They all came in during 1797. A receipt dated October 12, 797, is for the sum of one hundred and twenty dollars from P.C. J. De Angelis for improvements and buildings, and is signed by James Hulbert. The building was a log house on land afterwards occupied by W.W. De Angelis the next; the later was built in 1800. The Vincent Tuttle mentioned in the foregoing quotations came with his father, Daniel Tuttle, from Long Island to Norway, Herkimer county, in 1794 and settled near the site of Prospect village in 1804. The son settled after attaining his 1. The Holland Patent was named after Lord Holland, and should not be confounded with any of the land of the Holland Land Company.
majority on a farm between Prospect and Trenton and there passed most of his life. He engaged in early years in the distilling business, during which he had a contract for producing 250,000 gallons of spirits for the army. He also carried on a store at Trenton Falls. Thomas G. Hicks, father of Col. Thomas Hicks, came from Rhode Island about 1781 and located at Utica. He soon afterward removed to Trenton village, where he built the house afterwards occupied by Dr. Guiteau, in which he kept the first hotel in the place. A year later he removed to a farm at South Trenton and made improvements. He was a carpenter by trade, and as the first captain of militia from this town and was colonel of the 72d Regiment; he went to Sackett's Harbor during the war of 1812. Previous to the war of 1812 the Utica and Remsen turnpike, which became better known as the Black River road, was constructed under the direction of Col. Thomas Hicks. Isaac Curry kept a hotel about a mile and a half south of South Trenton and there was located a toll gate. Mr. Curry was a leading early citizen and held several offices. According to the Jones Annals, the first settlers in the south part of the town were Col. Hicks, John Garrett and his two sons, Cheney Perkins, John Curry and his town sons, Elias and Isaac, Owen Morris, Lemuel Barrows, Jedediah Brownell, Lucas Younglove, and James Francis. These settlements were made between 1792 and 1810. John Garrett was a soldier of the Revolution and became owner of 104 acres from the land company on the north of Nine Mile Creek, for which he paid $4 an acre. Hicks bought 200 acres a half mile north of Garrett, paying $4.50 an acre. He later built a hotel at Trenton. Peter and Cheney Garrett returned to Utica after their father's settlement, but about 1802 came back to South Trenton. Cheney locating on his father's place and building the house afterwards occupied by his son, John P. Garrett. Peter bought a farm three quarters of a mile south from South Trenton, the place later occupied by his son Jedediah. John Curry was from Scotland, and married a sister of John Post, the Utica pioneer, with whom one of his sons was an early clerk; it was through the latter's influence that his
father moved here from Ballston. He purchased 100 acres of the land company at South Trenton, at $5 an acre. About 1807 Isaac, the son, built a hotel a mile south of South Trenton, which in later years was known as the Joy place. James Francis emigrated from South Wales and settled at South Trenton about 1806, where he purchased a small farm a half mile northeast of the village and built a log house. Edward Hughes came over from Wales about 1802, lived in Philadelphia three years and then settled at South Trenton, where he bought fifty acres at $8 an acre; his place was a short distance south of the village site. These pioneers were endowed with determination and industry and they founded schools and churches, built mills, opened stores and shops and laid the foundations for the prosperity that has been enjoyed by their posterity. A post office was established at Trenton village about the beginning of the century and soon a little settlement gathered about which foreshadowed the later village. Dr. Luther Guiteau was post master for a time, and was succeeded by John Billings, his brother in law, who settled here in 1804. Taking the office in 1805 he kept it about sixty years and at his death was the oldest post master in the United States. He was succeeded by Griffith Pritchard. Elizur Skinner settled near the village about 1810, removed to South Trenton where he kept a public house a year, when he returned to Trenton village during the war of 1812 and kept the tavern four years that was occupied in late years by G.L. Skinner. This hotel was built by Judge John Storrs. Peter Remsen opened an early store in the village and Douglass & Billings another. By the year 1819 a considerable hamlet had grown up and the 19th of April of that year the village was incorporated under the original name of Olden Barneveld. Reincorporation was effected April, 1864, and again in April, 1870. The records under the first incorporation are not in existence. Previous to 1868 the village was governed simply by a board of trustees numbering six in the early years, five for a later period, and still later, four. Since 1868 a president of the board has been chosen, the list embracing the following:
1868-69 Daniel French 1883 J.B. Watkins
1870 Hugh H. Jones 1884-85 James Reeve
1871 Levi Wheaton 1886-88 John C. Owens
1872 Daniel French 1889 D.H. Roberts
1873-76 Albert S. Skiff 1890-91 T.J. Lewis
1877-79 William Boullian 1892-93 John Hughes
1880 H.S. Stanton 1894-95 D.H. Roberts
1881 J.B. Watkins 1896 John E. Dublin
1882 D. French, jr.
A library was founded in the village in 1874 under the name of the Trenton Library Association, which title was afterward changed to the Barneveld Library Association. A subscription was collected of about $100 and a number of books, and a room was furnished for the purpose. The collection increased until about 240 volumes were gathered when on the 17th of March, 1875, the library was burned. A meeting was held and a revival of the library determined upon; another subscription was started and so liberally were contributions made that within two months 350 volumes were collected and before the close of that year the number was increased to more than 1,200 volumes. A building was now needed and subscriptions were received for the purchase of a site, and the collection of funds was continued until about $1,200 was collected, when on July 27, 1877, the corner stone of a building was laid. The building is of stone and cost with the site about $1,700. Some of the former business men of Trenton are Daniel French, still living, who, came in 1837 and started in the meat market business in 1842; Billings & Howe, James Douglass & Son, Egert & Pritchard, Levi Wheadon and John Evans. The firm of Bevin & Dublin were in trade and dissolved, J.E. Dublin opening a store and C.C. Bevin another; Barker & Plumb started where Mr. Bevin now is, and were succeeded by F.F. Potter. Other present merchants are J.J. Lewis, Alger & Barker, formerly R. Alger & Son, and before them William Robertson; G.H. Skiff, furniture, William Boullian, many years in the drug trade, and E. French & son, market and grocers. The grist mill is operated by F.A. Goodman, formerly by S.R. Sizer and still later by Israel Jones. The saw mill about a mile out the village is operated by Austin McIntosh, and near it what was the Parker foundry, is the fish rod factory owned by George A. Clark & Co. of Utica. For many years past there have been two hotels in Trenton. The Dawson House has been kept for thirteen years by George W. Dawson; it has been a hotel site for a great many years. The Brooklyn House is kept by Herbert Griffith.
The village of Holland Patent takes its name from the large tract of land of more than 20,000 acres, granted to Henry, Lord Holland, by the British crown. He sold the tract to Seth Johnson, Horace Johnson, and Andrew Craige, who employed Moses Wright to survey it into lots of about 100 acres each. Seth Johnson was a native of Middletown, Conn., born in 1767, and died while on a visit to Holland Patent December 8, 1802; he was the first person buried in the burial ground which he had given to the settlers for that purpose. A the time the Johnsons came on the patent they found Noah Simons making a survey and claiming to be the owner of it. There was some litigation in later years to support those claims, but it failed. A few families moved upon the tract previous to 1797, having made purchases of Simons; among these were Rowland Briggs, Eliphalet Pierce, Eliphalet Coates, Benjamin White, and a few others, who made repurchases of the real owners. Soon after the Johnsons and Craige survey they sold a quarter of the patent to Bezabel Fisk, Pascal C.I. De Angelis, Hezekiah Hulbert and Isaac Hubbard, who drew shares for their several locations, after selecting two lots each. This formed a nucleus for the subsequent settlement. Mr. Hulbert died in 1800, and Mr. Fisk died early, both deaths occurring in Connecticut. Mr. De Angelis died in Holland Patent in 1839, at the age of seventy nine years. The post office here was established probably about 1805. Hobart Hall Academy was incorporated in 1839, with Mr. De Angelis as president, and a building was erected and the school commenced. For a number of years it was quite successful, but it finally gave way to the graded schools and the building was then used for that purpose. In 1876 Watson Williams built the large brick hotel called the Clarendon, principally to accommodate the many guests that in recent years have sought this quiet and health promoting place. This house is now kept by I.D. Thompson. A store is kept by John E. Jones (formerly Jones & Owens), and by William McClusky (formerly White & McClusky), and M.M. Brown. A grist mill between this village and Stittville is operated by Thompson & Goodman. This village is the home of the author of successful books, writing under the nom de plum of Betsey Bobbett.
The enterprising village of Prospect is situated in the northeast part of the town on the West Canada Creek. Its name is said to have been given it by Col. Adam G. Mappa, who, with a surveying party, laid out the village. Standing upon the eminence overlooking the valley of the creek and surrounding scenery, he exclaimed, "What a beautiful prospect!" Hence the name. Phineas Watkins was an early settler of this town near what has been called Birch Ridge; his son George opened the first store in Prospect, in association with John Owens; this was in 1823. Mr. Watkins had previously taught school in the village. A saw mill was built early on the Herkimer county side of the creek by John G. Squires, and another on the Trenton side which was long operated by George Watkins. Watkins and Owens continued in partnership until 1830. Mr. Watkins was conspicuous in building up the north of Prospect, and there his son, Smith Crosby, was born in July, 1803. The latter was long a well known citizen and built the Union church in the village. George Watkins erected a grist mill after he had got his saw mill in operation; it has been run ever since, with changes in its interior. The grist mill here is now operated by Henry Hagedorn; there is no saw mill in operation. The large tannery once carried on by Lewis J. Griffith was burned and not rebuilt. The post office at Prospect was established probably as early as 1815. About 1825 Clark Hoyt built what became known as Union Hall, a large hotel in the upper part of the village. This property is now the property of Henry Hagedorn and is conducted by James Murphy, jr. The popular Dodge House is conducted by William Hodge. What was formerly known as Goshen Hall, and McMaster's Hall, in the lower part of the village, was probably built in early years by Porter Davis; it is now owned by James Sherman, and conducted as a hotel by Fred Hubbard. Stores are kept here by C.B. Hodge, Charles Walters, John R. Williams and George H. Worden; the latter has been in trade here thirty years, and is a grandson of Isaac Worden, who came here in 1794 and settled a half mile from the village site. The early settlement by the Garretts and others at South Trenton has been described. Cheney Garrett kept a public house for twenty yeas in what was later the dwelling of his son; it was built in 1801. The first store in the place was
kept by Hugh Williams, a native of England. Mr. Garrett built a saw mill on the creek as early as 1797, and a grist mill, a clover mill, a flax mill, and a peppermint distillery were later put in operation. A brick yard was established about 1837 originally established three miles south of the village on the Utica road; the one at the village was opened about 1822 with Daniel Schermerhorn as post master. A store is kept by E.D. Wheeler where John Mallory was formerly in trade and was succeeded by Robert Isaacs. A man named Rowley was in trade here as early as 1837. The hotel is kept by Lewis Smallenberge, and a small grist mill is run by Charles Sypher. The first store at Trenton Falls was probably that of Romeo W. Marshall, who was doubtless the first post master also. The store was in operation in about 1820 and not far from 1825 the post office was opened. A grist mill was built about 1822 by Henry Conradt, and a saw mill was also started in early years. The grist mill is operated by William Morgan, and Charles Morgan has a store. The two hotels are owned by Mrs. Maria Moore, widow of Michael Moore. Gang Mills (post office, Hinckley) is in the extreme northwest part of this town, and has long been a large lumber center. Almost half of the hamlet is in Herkimer county. On the Trenton side is the post office, a box factory run by Butts & Co., a large saw mill by the Glens Falls Lumber Company; a store by Prentice & Willoughby and another by Lamb & Smith. In the southwest corner of the town is a hamlet called Stittville, which has had a post office since about 1850. William Grant was the first post master. A small mercantile business has always been conducted there, and a few shops. A knitting factory was established in 1878; it is now operated by Hackett & Atwood. A store is kept by Fred Gauss and another by Ellis D. Jones. The first church in this town, the Presbyterian at Holland Patent, founded in 1797, has already been mentioned. A church of this denomination was also organized at Trenton village at an early date, but it finally declined and passed out of existence. Rev. Dr. Harrower preached alternately at the two places. The early records of these churches are lost. In 1812 a Congregational church was formed at Holland Patent by Rev. Elijah Norton, to which Dr. Harrower ministered after a few years. On the 2d of January, 1812, these two churches (the Presbyterian and the Congregational) united under the title The Church of Christ in Holland Patent. A Baptist church was organized at Holland Patent March 26, 1812, with sixteen members, under the pastorate of Elder Joel Butler. A small church was built in 1813. This was succeeded in 1840 by the stone church. The "United Protestant Religious Society" was formed at Trenton village in 1803, and dissolved in 1811. The Christian church was organized in March, 1806, with Rev. John Sherman, pastor. These organizations were succeeded by the Reformed Christian (or Unitarian) Church of Trenton Village. A house of worship was early erected and is still in use. A Unitarian congregation was formed early at Holland Patent, which was ministered to in connection with the one at Trenton. It is not now in existence. St. Paul's Episcopal church, Holland Patent, was organized June 21, 1821, with Rev. Henry Moore Shaw, rector, and James Wetmore, and Abraham Diefendorf, wardens; Aaron Savage, Seth Wells, Robert McArthur, Samuel Candee, Bryant Yoings, John P. Warner, Samuel White, and Aaron White, vestrymen. There are also at Holland Patent a Welsh Methodist and a Welsh Congregational church. Neither has a large membership nor a regular pastor. The pulpit of the former is supplied by Rev. Thomas T. Evans. The Methodist Episcopal church, Trenton village, was organized 1840, and built its frame church in 1847. In 1841 a Union Society was formed at Prospect, which built a church and dedicated it n January, 1842. The property was afterwards deeded to a Methodist society, and the building was used by them and the Free Will Baptists many years. The latter society was organized in 1857. A society of Close Communion Baptists was organized at Prospect about 1820, which afterwards was merged with the Free Will society. There is a Welsh Congregational society, organized in 1863, at Prospect, both of which have church buildings.
A Baptist church was formed at Trenton Falls about 1833, with thirty nine members. Besides these there is a Welsh Methodist church at South Trenton. The supervisors of this town from 1798 to 1896, inclusive, have been as follows, viz:
1798-00 John Storrs 1854 Elam Perkins
1801 Peter Schuyler 1855-58 Orville Combs
1802-10 John Storrs 1859-64 Delos A. Crane
1811 Rowland Briggs 1865-70 Henry Broadwell
1812-29 William Rollo 1871-73 Delos A. Crane
1830-32 Ithia Thompson 1874-76 J. Robert Moore
1833-39 John Storrs 1877-78 Jacob J. Davis
1840 Isaac Currey 1879 Griffith Wheldon
1841 Israel F. Morgan 1880 S.B. Atwood
1842-45 Henry Rhodes 1881 Norton Wolcott
1846 Luther Guiteau, jr. 1882-84 Lester G. Wauful
1847 Henry Miller 1885-87 Thomas J. Lewis
1848-49 Aaron White 1888-90 R.R. Isaac
1850-51 John N. Billings 1891-93 George R. Farley
1852 John Candee 1894-96 H.A. Pride
1853 Reuben W. Fox
that is found in this collection has been donated to Oneida County, NY
GenWeb page by Jane Stevens-Hodge. Copyright©2002 Jane Stevens-Hodge