Send in Your Obituary Information

FALCONE, Giovanni (John)
Obituary - Rome Sentinal, Rome, NY - August 3, 1961
Roman Dies In Hospital At Age of 82
Giovanni (John) Falcone, 82 of 243 Erie Blvd. E., died Wednesday night in a local hospital after a short illness. He was born April 1, 1879 in Calabria, Massena, Sicily. In 1900 he went to Buffalo and moved to Rome in 1905. He was first married to Giovannina Salvaggio who died Nov. 21, 1940, in Rome.
In 1941, he married Rose Cremeno. She died Dec. 25, 1960. He retired as an employee of Griffiss AFB in 1948. He was a communicant of St. John the Baptist Church. Surviving are six daughters, Mrs. Anthony (Florence) George, Mrs. Sam (Lena) Scuderi, Mrs. Caroline Carpenter, and Mrs. Milton (Phyllis) Carpenter, all of Rome; Mrs. Josephine Dochstader, Saint John, Indiana, and Mrs. Michael (Katherine Prestopino, Albany; three sons, Patsy of Utica, and [private] of Rome; four step-daughters, Mrs. Dominick Serra, Mrs. Josephine Mandaran and Mrs. Dominick Marola, all fo Rome, and Mrs. Chester Andrewski, Elhambra, Calif.; two step-sons, James Cremeno, Rome, and Bruno Cremeno, Italy; one sister, Mrs. Josephine Gervase, Buffalo; one brother, Antonio Falcone, Sicily; 29 grandchildren and 42 great-grandchildren.
Submitted by Betty

FALCONE, Giovannina Selvaggio
Funeral Notice - Rome Sentinal - Saturday November 23, 1940
Falcone--Giovannina Salvaggio, beloved wife of Giovanni Falcone, at her home, 243 E. Whitesboro St. Funeral Monday morning at 9 from her late residence, 243 E. Whitesboro St. and at 9:30 from St. John the Baptist Church where a solemn requiem high mass will be celebrated. Interment in St. John the Baptist Cemetery
Submitted by Betty

FALCONE, Mary (Abruzzo)
Utica OD, Jan 31, 1999
Mrs. Mary (Abruzzo) Falcone, age 95, formerly of Mohawk St. and more recently of the St. Joseph Nursing Home, passed away on Thursday, January 28, 1999, at the home.
Born in New York City on April 16, 1903, Mary was the daughter of the late Joseph and Josephine (Sabella) Abruzzo. She was raised and educated in NYC and it was there on December 26, 1921, that she was joined in marriage with Joseph Falcone; together they shared a 70-year union until his passing on March 27, 1992.
Upon relocating to Utica with her husband after their marriage, Mary devoted herself to her family. A dedicated and conscientious homemaker, she was also a talented gourmet cook.
A devout Catholic, Mrs. Falcone was a communicant of the Church of the Blessed Sacrametn. Her religion was foremost in her life; her spiritual devotion was such that she considered herself both privileged and blessed when she was anoited by the holy Padre Pio with his stigmatic hands.
Mary was involved in a number of activities and pastimes; she was talented in the art of ceramics, and she enjoyed her association with the Eastside Senior Day and South Utica Senior Centers. However, for the most part, her social life revolved around the activities of the Catholic Church, both in her parish and in the larger community.
Among the groups she belonged to were Forever Young at Blessed Sacrament, the parishes Altar Rosary Society, St. Anne's Society and the St. Theresa Society. In addition, she was know and admired for the beautiful dresses and robes which she created to adorn the infant of Prague at Blessed Sacrement. She also made many for her friends as a way of remembering and honoring her friendship.
Mrs Falcone is survived by <all private>.
Interment will take place in Calvary Cemetery at the convenience of the family.
Submitted by Betty

Mrs. Mary Russo Falcone, of Utica and also of Lake Worth, Florida, where she had a winter home, passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 at St. Luke's Memorial Hosptial Center. Born in Acquaviva, Sicily, Mary was the daughter of the late Lorenzo and Josephine (Cicero) Russo. She was raised and educated in Utica. On September 15, 1928, she married Pasquale "Patsy" Falcone. Prior to Patsy's passing on September 26, 1991, the couple shared a 63-year union, maintaining throughout the years a relationship which was characterized by their loving and dedicated devotion to one another. Along with her husband, Mrs. Falcone co-founded and ran the Falcone Building and Utility Co., which was located on Catherine St. She was an integral part of the operation of the business, contributing in great measure to its success and reputation from its initial establishment until the occasion of the couple's joint retirement in 1978. Mary's strength of character, her hard work, and her innate wisdom served as cornerstones for the good and exemplary life which she lived, a life that was admirable, influential, and inspiring to her children. As a recongnized and respected matriarch of her family, she provided her loved ones with her values and traditions as well as with the acceptance of her loving heart. She was an excellent cook and equally skilled baker. Mary liked to travel and enjoyed the numerous trips she made with her late husband. In her leisure time, especially among her companions in Florida, she enjoyed playing cards, her favorite game being pinochel. Locally a communicant of St. Anthony of Padua Church, she also belonged to the Daughters of Columbus. Mrs. Falcone was predeceased by a daughter, Jeanette Organisciak; since Jeanette's passing in 1995, Mary has cherished in her heart the memory of her first-born. Mary is survived by <private>. She was preceded in death by 3 sisters and 3 brothers. Visitation will be held on Thursday (today) from 5-8 at the Eannance Funeral Home, Inc., 932 South St., corner of Hammond Ave. Mrs. Falcone's funeral will commence on Friday morning at 9:00 from the funeral home and at 10:00 at St. Anthony of Padua Church where her Mass of Resurrection will be celebrated. Entombment will take place in the Resurrection Chapel Mausoleum. "Momma, we love you deeply and we will miss you very much, but we will take lasting comfort in the knowledge that you are reunited with Papa and Jeanette."
Utica OD
Submitted by Betty

Utica Observer Dispatch
Mr. Pasquale "Patsy" Falcone, age, 86, of 1208 Sherman Drive, and a winter resident of Lake Worth, Florida, passed away on Thursday, September 26, 1991 at St. Luke's Memorial Hospital.
He was born in Buffalo, NY on Jun 26, 1905, a son of the late Giovanni & Giovanna (Salvaggio) Falcone. As a young child, Patsy, along with his family, relocated to Rome, NY, where he was raised and educated. On September 15, 1928, he was united in marriage with the former Mary Russo. The couple recently celebrated 63 years of a joyous and beloved union.  Together the couple founded the Falcone Building and Utility Company located at 1019 Bleecker Street. Patsy held the position of President, successfully operation the firm until his retirement in 1978. A communicant of St. Anthony of Padua Church, other memberships included the Knights of Columbus-4th degree, and the Sons of Italy-Utica Lodge #2054.
A fountian of guidance for his entire family, Patsy's strength and understanding could always be depended on. He dearly loved his wife, children and grandchildren.
Surviving are <all private>. He was preceded in death by four sisters, Lena, Caroline, Phyllis and Florence.
The funeral will be held on Saturday morning at 9:45 from the Eannace Funeral Home, Inc., 932 South Street, corner of Hammond Ave., and 10:30 at St. Anthony of Padua Church, where a Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated. Entombment will take place in Resurrection Chapel Mausoleum.
Submitted by Betty

From an unnamed and undated Nebraska newspaper:
   Our beloved friend, Miss Rose H. Fancher, who went east several months ago for an extended visit, died at the home of her aunt, Mrs. L. P. Brainard, near Rome, New York, after two weeks illness from a tumor in her side.
   She bore her terrible suffering patiently and died as she had lived, a devout christain. Her last words - "Open the window, they are calling me - good by - I'm on the Rock" - assure us that she heard the Summons Home, and was prepared to meet her God. The loving hands of friends and relatives laid her to rest in a lovely, white velvet casket, laden with beautiful flowers. She sleeps beside her grandmother and other relatives in Wright's Settlement Cemetery.
   Mother, Sisters, and Brothers hearts are rent with grief by the loss of their loved companion.  Friends and acquaintances will miss her bright face and helpful hands, but Heaven has only claimed one more pure angel to lure us on to Glory.
   "Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord."  Her Memorial will be held in Johnstown, Sunday, May 31st at the M.E. Church.
Submitted by Dawna Holst

Rome Daily Sentinel, 30 July 1912.
Mrs. Harriet S. Farr
After a gradual failing in health due to old age, the death took place on Monday evening about 5:35 of Mrs. Harriet S. Farr, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. George Bingham, at the Mansion House, E. Whitesboro street.  Mrs. Farr, whose maiden name was Harriet Sarah Wildey, was born in Canterbury, England and had she lived until August 19 would have been 81 years old.  When a little child she came to this country with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Wildey, who afterward came to Rome, where Mrs. Farr lived altogether about 63 years.  In 1850 she was married to Archibald Farr, proprietor of the Mansion House, and who died here September 20, 1894, having been proprietor of the hotel from 1881 until within a few years of his death.  Mrs. Farr was a woman of many excellent traits of character.  She attended Zion Church when her health permitted.  She leaves many friends among the older residents of this city. Mrs. Farr is survived by her daughter, Mrs. Bingham, and adopted son, Frank Farr, and a grandson, Francis Farr, both of Rochester.
Janice Sebring

  FITCH, Edward
FITCH -- Edward A. FITCH was born in Palmyra, Oswego Co., N.Y., April 13, 1843; in 1867 was converted and joined the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in 1868 was married with Maria E. BABCOCK.  Of this union three children were born; two of them with their mother are left behind sorrowing but not without hope.  One had gone before.  For years Syracuse was their home but in 1885 he came to Indiana and settled in Cannelton, Perry county.  On Sabbath evening, March 4, calmly, peacefully, he entered into rest.  "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord; even so saith the Spirit, for they rest from their labors and their works do follow them."
G. D. Wolfe

From the Rome Daily Sentinel, Monday Evening, June 3, 1907
Veteran Railroader Dead
James Fitzgerald 60 Years with the Central
Yardmaster and Crossing Tender Most of the Time--Faithful Employee and True to Every Trust -- Retired on Company's Pension Not Long Ago
The death of James C. Fitzgerald, who a short time ago rounded out 60 years of service with the New York Central Railroad Company, and for many years was stationed at the Mill street crossing in this city, occurred at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Wilbur P. Lasher, 501 W. Dominick street at 8 o'clock on Sunday night from a general breaking down of the system.
James Fitzgerald was born in Tipperary, Ireland, in 1830, and came to this country with his parents in 1846, settling in Oneida.  In the same year he and his father entered the service of the railroad:  His first occupation was preparing the wooden materials used in building and repairing the road.  Soon after he was made yardmaster at Oneida, which position he held for the next 25 years.  In 1877 he moved to Rome and in the eastern part of the city he was tender of the switches for the next six years.  Then, moving to the western end, near the station, he continued in a similar position for the same length of time.  Having been made station master at Green's Corners, he served six more years in this position, leaving when a signal system known as the "big figures" was abolished.  A short time afterward he entered upon the duties of crossing tender at Mill street.
Mr. Fitzgerald remembered the invention of a locomotive which it was said at the time would revolutionize travel.  It had but one driving wheel on either side.  It was called "Lightning" in derision and soon passed to the scrap heap.  The locomotives in use at that time resembled the engine now used to run threshing machines, and wood was used for fuel.  The trains ran on small iron strap rails placed on the tops of stringers which were spiked to cross ties.  There were ???...was carried mostly by canal boats.  Mr. Fitzgerald witnessed the introduction of the present form of T rail, then made of iron.  The first were imported from England.  They were about 18 feet long and much lighter than those now in use.  These iron rails afterward were made in Rome, the mill being located on the site of the present brass mill.
Mr. Fitzgerald had at least one narrow escape from death.  On October 16, 1903, while in the discharge of his duties, he was struck by a freight train, which he supposed had stopped but which came up behind him unobserved.  The point of the pilot struck him and he fell back on the cowcatcher.  He then rolled off on to the ground and the pilot passed over him, the end of it striking him in the neck and catching in the collar of his coat.  He was pushed along the gravel for a distance of 30 feet before the engine came to a standstill.  His legs were bruised and his face badly scratched.
When he had been in the service of the railroad 50 years he was offered a pension by the company, if he desired to retire, but he preferred to work as long as able.  A few months ago he retired and received a pension.
Mr. Fitzgerald is survived by his wife and three children, Mrs. P.H. Delaney of Oneida, M.J. Fitzgerald of Utica and James C. Fitzgerald of Rome.  He was a faithful member of St. Peter's Church.
Mr. Fitzgerald never used tobacco in any form, nor intoxicating liquors.  He was an inveterate reader of the Bible, and was never at a loss to prove a point by a quotation from the Holy Book.  Fairminded, hearty in his nature and with a keen sense of humor, he had filled his own life with brightness and had always endeavored to lighten the hearts and tasks of those who were about him.  There is no one of his acquaintances but loved and respected "Jim" Fitzgerald.
Kate Thomas

FLOYD Sr., William
Source: Daily Capital Journal, Pierre, Hughes Co., South Dakota
Date: May 18, 1950
William Floyd Sr.
William Floyd, Sr., was born at Westernville, NY, Aug. 27, 1858.  His father, William Floyd was a grandson of Gen. William Floyd who was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence from New York, and fought in the Revolutionary War.  The father was also one of the forty-niners during the gold rush to California.
   Floyd attended school in Westernville but had a great desire to go to the western country then being settled.  In April 1883, he came to Dakota territory and was one of the first homesteaders in what is now western Sully county.  In November of that year he returned to New York and was married to Frances L. Woodruff of Bellport, Long Island, returning with his bride to his homestead.  To this marriage five children were born, all of whom survive.  They are Mrs. Frances Christensen of Pierre, Mrs. Sadie E. Wagner of Long Beach, Cal., William Floyd, Jr., and Charles Floyd, who operate the original homestead, and
Alden W. Floyd of Pierre. His wife, Frances L. died Nov. 26, 1913, and in 1925 he married Clara B. Mateer, of Pierre, who survives him.
    During the years 1888 to 1894 he held a contract to supply meat to the army post at Fort Sully.  In 1899 he served a term as treasurer of Sully county, and he served two terms as a representative from Sully county in the state legislature.  He was a director of the Pierre National Bank for more than 30 years.
    In 1921 because of an asthmatic ailment he went to Long Beach, Cal., to spend the winter months, returning each summer until 1946 when the trip became burdensome because of his age.
    Floyd was well known for his kindly attitude toward others, and for his ambitious and courageous character.  He was a devoted Christian, a member of the Presbyterian church and in later years a faithful attendant of the Long Beach Men's Bible Class.
    He died at St. Mary's hospital in Long Beach earlier this week.  The body is being brought to South Dakota for burial in the Okobojo cemetery.
(Note: William Floyd died May 15, 1950 at the age of 91.  He and his wife Frances were eventually moved from the Okobojo cemetery in Sully Co, South Dakota to their final resting place in Riverside cemetery in Pierre, Hughes Co, South Dakota.)
Submitted by Julie Wall

FOLEY, John Owen
June 3, 1897
John Owen Foley died at the residence of his son, P.H. Foley, 189 Miller Street at 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon. He was born in County Cavan, Ireland, eighty-two years ago and came to America in 1838, locating near Ottawa, Canada.  He resided there thirteen years and then removed to Henderson, Jefferson country. He subsequently lived in Ellisburg and Adams, and after being a resident of Jefferson County nearly fifteen years he removed to Owasco, where he lived three years.  After a residence of four years in Madison County he went to Paw Ill., and remained there until 1887, when he came to this city.  In 1836 Mr. Foley married Miss Mary McGovern in Ireland, and she died three years ago.  Since her death he has lived with his son.  Mr. Foley was a member of St. Francis de Sales Church and was a devout Catholic.  He had many friends, who will regret his death.  Since March last he had been troubled with asthma and influenza, but he was not confined to the house until last Saturday.  Death was caused by pneumonia.  Ten children, namely: Mrs. L. Hulburt, P. H. and John F. Foley of Utica, Mrs. D. D. Bassett and Mrs. John M. Brewer of Adams, Mrs. W. E. Culver, Mrs. J. L. Atkinson and Mrs. M. D. L. Buell of Colorado, and Mrs. S. Oberkirk and Mrs. F. A. Palmer of Paw Paw, Ill.  Of grandchildren he had 20 and of great-grandchildren one.  The funeral will be held from St. Francis de Sales' Church tomorrow morning.
Jim Foley 14105 E Desmet Ave Spokane WA 99216

FOLEY, Patrick Henry
April 15, 1911
Respected Resident of Utica Died From Injuries In Oneida.
Patrick Henry Foley of 34 Hager street, passed away Monday afternoon at Carpenters Hospital, Oneida, death being due to injuries received by falling from a well-drilling machine which he was operating near Wampsville Saturday. Mr. Foley was born in Canada July 8, 1842. After leaving school he learned the cooper's and carpenter's trades. He came to New York State when young man and settled at Ellisburg, Jefferson County. He also lived at Oneida and Clinton. For the last 30 years he has been a resident of Utica. Mr. Foley was very industrious and had many inventions to his credit. He was a veteran of the civil war and a prominent member of the Bacon Post G.A.R. holding most of the offices in that organization. All the time he lived in Utica, he worked in the well drilling business, at which he was an expert. Mr. Foley was married twice, his first wife being Mary Melita Nutting and his second Minerva Freeman. He leaves to morn his demise, John H. and Floyd of Utica; Millard of Oneida and Clarence and Joseph of Buffalo; three daughters, Mrs. Harry D. Sprague and Agnes and Anna Foley of this city, and six sisters, Mrs. Daniel Basset and Mrs. John Brewer of Adams: Mrs. William Culver and Mrs. Marie Hulburt of Greeley Col., and Mrs. Julia Atkinson and Mrs. S. Oberkirk of Paw Paw Ill. The Funeral was held from the home of his son, John H. Foley 34 Hager street, Thursday morning, Rev. John Smith, pastor of the Church of the Holy Communion, officiating. Members of the Post Bacon G.A.R., Louise Hart Tent No. 14 Daughters of Veterans and a squad from the Twenty-eight Separate Company attended in a body. The Oriental Quartet sang several  selections. Internment was in the family plot in Forest Hills Cemetery.
Jim Foley 14105 E Desmet Ave Spokane WA 99216

FOX, Benjamin F.
Utica Daily Press-17 July 1899
Death of Benjamin F. Fox, Veteran of the Civil War and a well known resident of New Hartford
The death of Benjamin F. Fox occured at his home on Pearl Street, New Hartford yesterday morning at 2 o'clock. He had been ill for about four years, but had always borne his sufferings with great patience. Mr. Fox who was 55 years old, was a well known resident of New Hartford, where he had moved from Vernon several years ago. When a very young man, at the outbreak
of the civil war, he enlisted in Company B, First Battalion, Black River Artillery, and was later transferred to Company D, 10th New York Artillery, from which he was honorably discharged at Petersburg, Virginia, June 23, 1865. He was a miller by trade and for a number of years was employed at the McLean Mill in New Hartford. Mr. Fox was a member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church and his influence in the community was always for good. His death will be mourned by a large circle of friends. He is survived by his wife, three children, Ida, Mabel and Byron Fox, and three brothers, Ozias E. of Long Island and K. and H. Sylvester Fox of Gouverneur. A special meeting of Gen. Sherman Post, G.A.R. and women's relief corps will be held at G.A.R. Hall, New Hartford, this evening, to make arrangements for attending the funeral.
Submitted by:

FULMER, Mrs. Allen
   Vernon - Miss May McKay of West Front St has received word of the death of her sister, Mrs Allen Fulmer - Jan 29, 1958, in Independence, Kan, following a long illness. Mrs Fulmer was born Oct 23, 1878 in the Province of Ontario, [Quebec - dt] Can, daughter of John and Mary Mahedy  McKay.  When she came to the United States she made her home with her aunt, Mrs Solomon Butler.  She was engaged in nursing in Rome.  In 1906, [13Jan1908-dt] she was married to Allen Fulmer, an employee of the G D Pohl Engine Works.  Six years later they went to Kansas to live.  Mr Fulmer died two years ago. Surviving besides Miss McKay are a son George Fulmer of  Kansas; three grandchildren; two reat-grandchildren; several nieces and nephews in Sherrill, Vernon, and Little Falls.  The funeral was held in Independence, Kan. * submitted to read of Vernon; the Pohl Engine Works Co was located behind the West Shore
Hotel.  The Solomon Butler family lived next door.
Dan Touse

FULMER , Esther Mary
Died at House of  Parents Here Last Evening
   Miss Esther Mary Margaret Fulmer died last evening at 6:45 o'clock at the home of her parents, Mr and Mrs Horace Fulmer, 415 South Liberty street, of lung trouble and leakage of the heart of which she had been a sufferer following an attack of influenza last February. She was born February 16, 1909 at Vernon, NY, and was at the age of 19 years, three months, and two days at the time of her death.  She was graduated in 1923 from the St Francis  Xavier school and later attended the Cherryvale high school.  Afterwards she entered the nurses training school at the St  Rose hospital at Great Bend, graduating with high honors with the 1928 class last March.  She is survived by her parents, one brother, George Fulmer of the home address and one grandmother, Mrs John McKay of Vernon, NY.  Funeral services will be held Friday morning at 9 o'clock from the St Francis Xavier church in charge of the church pastor, the Rev A H Walsh.  Internment will be beside her  grandmother, Mrs George Fulmer, in the Mt Hope cemetery at Independence. [12 Jun 1928]
Dan Touse