Archie MacFarlane, 98, of 206 W. Embargo St., Rome, N,Y,, died July 26, 1994, at his home.  His health was failing for months. He was born august 7, 1895, in Schnectady, a son of Willima and Flora Mair MacFarlane.  Educated in Schnectady schools, he married Ruth R. Sexton on  October 27, 1919, in Rome.  She died Nov. 10, 1951.Mr. MacFarlane served with the American Expeditionary Forces during World War I in the 347th Infantry. He lived in Taberg for 15 years, moving to Rome in later years.  he was employed by the former Russell Metal Co., Rome, as a sheet metal worker. He is survived by several cousins.  He was predeceased by two sisters, Miss Jean D. MacFarlane who died in 1981, and Miss Anna B. MacFarlane, who died in 1983. Funeral Services will be held at the Prince-Boyd & Hyatt "Home for Funerals," Inc. on Friday at 10 a.m.  Interment in Maple Hill Cemetary, Taberg.
Patricia Macfarlane Prather

 Passed Away After Five Days Illness
Rome, Dec 1, 1922 -- John MacFarlane, 626 Turin Street, died at 6 pm Sunday after an illness of five days with actue inflammatory rheumatism.  He was born in Stirling, Scotland, 58 years ago, and came to this country with his parents at the age of 17 years.  With his parents he resided in Troy for several years and moved to this city, where he was married in 1888 to Minnie Minnig (Caroline Minnig) at the First Presbyterian Church.  They moved to Albany in 1891, where they resided until 1900 when they returned to this city, Mr. MacFarlane living here till his death.  He was employed in the plant of the Rome Metallic Bedstead Company.  Besides his wife, he is survived by three children, Walter of Albany, Robert and Mrs. Herman Meyer of this city; also a brother, Archie of Albany, and one sister, Mrs. James Smith of Medford, Mass.  Mr. MacFarlane was a member of the local lodge, Loyal Order of Moose, and of the First Presbyterian Church.  Interment in Evergreen Cemetery.
Submitted by  Patty MacFarlane Prather

MACFARLANE, Karoline Minnig
Rome Sentinel Octobet 31, 1938 pg. 2
MRS. CAROLING MACFARLANE DIED AT HOME OF DAUGHTER -- Mrs. Caroline M. MacFarlane, 66, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Herman D. Meyer, 920 Croton Street, yesterday.  Mrs. MacFarlane, who resided at 626 Turin St., had been ill for six weeks. She was born in Switzerland and was married a half-century ago to John MacFarlane, who died in 1922.  She was a member of St. John's E. L. Church and the Ladies of the Maccabees. Surviving with her daughter are two sons, Walter J., of Rensselaer, and Robert F. of Rome; a sister Mrs. Louis Jenny, Rome; two brothers Jacob Minnig, Rome, and John Minnig, Nounan, Idaho and four grandchildren.
Submitted by  Patty MacFarlane Prather

Rome Sentinel--30 Nov. 1910:
Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Maloney, wife of Thomas L. Maloney, died at 3:30 this morning, at the, Rome Hospital, where she had been taken from her home, 301 W. Dominick street last Friday suffering from appendicitis. She. had undergone an operation Friday af ternoon, and was apparently getting along well until Tuesday afternoon, when she suffered a relapse, which resulted in death. Mrs. Maloney, whose maiden name was Mary E. Hall, was born in the town of Antwerp, Jefferson county, June 20, 1890, and when very young moved with her parents to Gouverneur, where she passed her girlhood days. She attended St. James Church at that place, and was a member of the Sa cred.Heart Society. She was married to Mr. Maloney on the 29th of last June, and came hereto live in the forepart of August. While in this city, she was a devoted attendant at St. Peter's Church. She was much esteemed by all who knew her, and the news of her death will be learned with sorrow. Besides her husband she leaves her, parents, Mr. and Mrs. Landon J. Hall of Gouverneur, three sisters. Mrs. Herbert Fuller and Misses Anna and Gladys and five brothers, James of Richville and Will iam, Bernard Raymond, and John all of Gouverneur .
Martin Hall

Utica Daily Press - Thursday Morning - May 9, 1889
CLAYVILLE - Katie Mangan
A sad drowning accident ocurred here yesterday. Katie, the little three year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Mangan, while playing on the bank of the creek below the mill with othr companions, fell in the stream and was swept away by the current and drowned. She was a bright and winsome little one and her sudden death is a sad blow to the afflicted parents who have the sympathy of all in their bereavement.
Poster's note: Katie Mangan's parents were Joseph and Catherine Gaffney Mangan of Clayville. She was the sister of my grandmother, Margaret Carolyn Mangan Burns.
Peggy Burns

Utica, Aug 3 1905 - Frances Mangan, many years a resident here, died last evening.  He came from Ireland in 1853, locating in the town of Paris, where he followed the occupation of a farmer for many years at Paris Hill.  In 1882 he moved to Clayville, where he remained until he came to Utica in 1884.  Besides his wife, the following children survive.  Mrs. Lauren Rockwell of Canastota, Mrs. John Snyder of Utica, Patrick Mangan of Port Leyden, James Mangan of Little Falls, and Miss Mary, Lawrence, William, Matthey and Thomas Mangan of Utica.
Peggy Burns

Death of Thomas Martin, Long a Resident--Personal.
Clinton, July 30.--Thomas Martin, a well-known resident of this town for the past half century, died at his home on Kellogg street this forenoon.  He had been in failing health for several years and during the past year or so had been totally blind.  The deceased was past 80 years of age and was born in Ireland but had been a resident of Clinton for more than 50 years.  He was a laborer and was considered one of the best workmen in the town  During the time of the Chenango Canal he was employed here on that.  He enjoyed the regard of his fellow workmen and was respected by the community.  Besides his widow he is survived by the following children: Thomas and Daniel Martin of Clinton, James of Paris Hill, William of Utica and John Martin of Syracuse; also four daughters, Mrs. McCoy of Utica, Mrs. Mullen, Mrs. Myers and Miss Martin of Schenectady.
Janice Sebring

Utica Daily Press Monday Morning May 31, 1909
Mrs. Theodore Matt
Johanna Durst, wife of Theodore Matt, died at her home, 48 Schuyler Street, yesterday morning at 1 o'clock as the result of a stroke of parlysis (sp) received 10 days previous. She was born in Brunnadem, Ant., Bourdors, Baden, Germany, January 20, 1832 and came to this city to live 30 years ago. Mrs. Matt was married in 1859. She was a member of St. Joseph's Church, of the Altar Society and was well and favorably known in this city. She is survived by her husband, two sons, Frank X. of this city and B. Matt of Fort Plain; three daughters, Mrs. Fred Detzel, Mrs. Henry Bick and Mrs. W.J. Bellosa and an adopted daughter, Miss Lizzie Isele.
Peggy Burns

Utica Daily Press Thursday Morning May 23, 1916
Retired Business Man, Father of F.X. Matt, is Dead at 84
Following an illness of several months with Bright's Disease, Theodore Matt died yesterday morning at 5 o'clock at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Henry Beck, 1017 Wager Street.
Theodore Matt was born in Baden in March 1832. He was brought up as a farmer and later conducted a public house. In 1881 he came to America and located in Utica. Here for many years he conducted a butcher shop at the corner of Schuyler and Green Streets. In 1899 he sold this establishment to his son W.J. Bellosa, and retired from business. Mr. Matt was a member of St. Joseph's Church and during its existence he was a member of the German National Society. He was a very industrious and hardworking man, well known among the Germans of the city, and highly respected by all. He married Miss Johanna Durst who died in 1909. His children are: Frank X., president of the West End Brewery; Marie, wife of Frank Dietzel; Lizette, wife of Henry Beck; Berthold, and Elise, wife of W.J. Bellosa; two brothers, John B. and Sevrin Matt of Utica, and two sisters in Germany; also an adopted daughter, Elizabeth D. Isele. Berthold lives at Fort Plain, all the others in Utica.
Peggy Burns

James G. McBee
James G. McBee, 67 of 722 Lafayette, died unexpectedly Dec. 15, 1953, in Genesee Memorial Hospital, Batavia, after a short illness.
He was born in Mica, N.C. Jan 17, 1886, a son of Albert and Margaret Connelly McBee. He married Eva Wandley in St. Peter's Cathedral, Scranton, PA on Dec. 5, 1939. The couple came to Utica in that year.
Mr. McBee was employed as a machinist in the Utica and Mohawk Cotton Mills for 13 years and was a member of the Baptist church.
He leaves his wife; two daughters, Beatrice and Joyce McBee, Utica; one sister, Mrs. Dorothy Fortner, Marion, N.C., three brothers, Robert, Utica, Charles and Walter, both of Salisbury, N.C., and several nieces and nephews.
The funeral will be at 1 Friday from the Surridge and Roberts Funeral Home, 144 Eagle St, with the Rev. Harry D. Smith, Bethany Church officiating. Burial will be in New Forest cemetery.

 Miss McKay  Passes Away 11 Jul 1962
    Vernon - Miss E May McKay, died Wednesday at her home, 31 W Front St, after an illness of several months.
    The daughter of John P and Mary E Mahedy McKay, she was born May 19, 1891 in South Stukely, Quebec, Canada.  She received her early education in Canada and attended the Maplewood Convent at Waterloo, Quebec.     She came to the United States in 1913, living first at Leominster, Mass, and later that year coming to Vernon where  she has since resided.
    Miss McKay had been employed at Oneida Ltd, until her retirement in 1956.  She was a member of St Catherine's
Church, Vernon, and its Alter-Rosary Society.     The last member of her immediate family, Miss McKay is survived only by several nieces and nephews.    The funeral will be held Saturday, with prayer at her home at 10 a.m., and at 10:30 a.m. a requiem Mass will be offered by Rev Bernard Newcomb, Rochester.  Burial will be in St Patrick's Cemetery, Oneida.
 Dan Touse

MCKAY, Elizabeth E.
       VERNON - Miss Elizabeth Evelyn McKay, 74, died this morning at her home in this village after an illness of 10 months.   She was born in the Province of Quebec, Aug 19, 1877, a daughter of John and Mae Mahedy McKay, and had lived in this village since 1914. Miss McKay was a nurse by occupation.  She was a communicant of St Catherine's Church and a member of its Alter-Rosary Society. Surviving are two sisters, Miss Mae McKay, of Vernon, and Mrs Allen Fulmer of Independence, Kas, and several nieces and nephews.
Dan Touse

Well Known Resident Passes         Away at Age 72
      Vernon, Aug 28,[1924] -- John P McKay, 72,  a well known resident of  Vernon, died yesterday afternoon at his home in Tyler Avenue.*  Mr McKay had been in poor health for  more than a year, but seriously ill for only a few days. He had failed rapidly since the death of a favorite grandson  [Edwin McKay, son of Frank] two weeks ago. Mr McKay was born at Gloucester, Mass, March 10, 1851. When a child his parents moved to Granby, Quebec, Canada,  in which country he lived the greater part of his life. In  1879 [1876] he married Mary Mahardy [Mahedy] of North  Shefford, Canada, where they made their home for several  years.  They had ten children.  In 1914 the family moved to Vernon.  Mr McKay was an employee of Curtice Brothers Factory. Besides his wife, eight children survive: Elizabeth and  May, Vernon; Mrs Charles Fulmer, Cherry Vale, Kas; Mrs  Andrew Campbell, Warden, Quebec;  John, Auburn;  Charles, Pittsburg [Fitchburg, Mass;] Frank and Myron, Vernon; two brothers, David, Kansas City, Mo; and William, West Shefford, Quebec; and fourteen grandchildren. [* Tyler Ave later became Front St]
Dan Touse

MCKAY, Myron
 Myron McKay
       On Feb 25, [1950] at his home in Vernon, Myron McKay  passed away.  Mr Mackay was born in South Stukely on January 28, 1881, a son of John and Mary Mackay, who later,  with their family purchased a farm in North Shefford.  When still a young man, Mr Mackay, with his brother, Frank, where  the former worked and resided up to the time of his death.
Dan Touse

MCKAY , T. Frank
 T. Frank McKay Of Vernon Dies After Long Illness
        Vernon, May 19 [1930] - The death of T  Frank McKay, aged 49, occurred at his home on Mill Street at 6 p.m. yesterday following an illness of several months duration.  Mr McKay was born in Stukely, Canada, on Feb 20, 1881, [1882-dt] son of Mary and the late John McKay.   On June 15, 1907 he was united in marriage to Miss Clara Myers of this place and their entire married life has been spent in this village. He is survived besides his wife by four children: Edith, Esther, Howard, and Morris.  The death of his oldest son Edwin occurred five years ago.  He is also survived by his mother, Mrs Mary McKay,  of this place  and four sisters* and three brothers, Mae, Elizabeth, and Myron of this place, John of Auburn, Charles of Fitchburg, Mass, and Mrs Mary Campbell of Warden, Quebec.  Mr McKay was a member of  St Catherine's Church and of the Holy Name Society of that church.  Funeral arrangements which are in charge of C W Kitson, funeral director are incomplete. * the 4th sister, Mrs Mina Fulmer of Cherryvale, Kan, was omitted.
Dan Touse

Eliza Chapman McKee
Rome Sentinel-September 28, 1911
Ridge Mills - Mrs. Eliza McKee died at 3 pm yesterday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Fred Hall in this place.  She was a daughter of Jeremiah and Abiah Chapman and was born in the town of Lee 79 years ago last February.  She was married to Richard D. McKee, who died 15 years ago last March.  She is survived by three children, Mrs. Fred Hoffman of Camden, Mrs. Fred Hall of Ridge Mills, with whom she lived, and John W. McKee of Syracuse.  There will be a prayer at the house here tomorrow (Friday) at 11:30 am and the funeral will be held at Camden at 2:30 pm on Sunday.
Kathy Last

Verona, Dec. 26.--Frank MERRILL yesterday received news of the death of his mother, Mrs. Sylvia MERRILL, at Richview, Ill., which occurred on Wednesday.  Mrs. Merrill was 85 years of age, and the widow of the late Jacob N. MERRILL, of Westmoreland, who died about 18 years ago.  She was the daughter of Frank SPENCER, and will be remembered by our old residents, as she spent her young days on the old Spencer farm, near this village.  She leaves five sons and two daughters in the west, with whom she made her home, and Frank MERRILL, of Verona.  The remains will be taken to Westmoreland for burial.

Michaud, Gayland B. (Mitch)
Thursday, September 08, 2005
Utica OD
Gayland B. (Mitch) Michaud, 71, of Munnsville, passed away Tuesday, September 6, 2005, at his home, leaving his loving family and friends after a long, hard battle will metastasized prostate cancer. Mitch was born on June 24, 1934 in Portage, Maine, the son of Zenon and Beulah Michaud. He was raised and educated in Maine, attending St. Agathe and Bangor High School. In 1952, Mitch joined the US Air Force where he was stationed at Griffiss Air Force Base and then served in the Philippines in 1954 during the Korean War. On April 6, 1953, Mitch married Carol Dauer in St. Joseph's Church, Utica. He was employed by Pratt and Whitney Aircraft in Connecticut. Upon his retirement from Pratt and Whitney, he moved back to New York State, making his home in Munnsville, NY. Mitch was a life member of VFW Post 2246, Rome, NY. He was of the Roman Catholic faith. Mitch is survived by his wife, Carol Dauer Michaud, Munnsville; his daughter, Debra Scholl, Westmoreland; two sons and a daughter-in-law, Dale and Sue Michaud, Arkansas, Richard Michaud, Munnsville; eight grandchildren and their spouses, Tessa and Chris Townsend, Utica, Kayla Scholl and fiance, Heath Williams, Westmoreland, Joseph and Amanda (Mandy) Scholl, Muncie, IN, Melissa and Kathleen Michaud, Bristol, CT, Jennifer, Tiffany, and Cassandra Lavoie, Bristol, CT; two great-grandsons, Jayden Robert Blais, Bristol, CT, Joseph G. Scholl III, Muncie, IN; a special cousin, Dana; as well as several aunts, uncles, and cousins. He also leaves special longtime friends, Terry and Linda Skrypiec, Bristol, CT.  Mitch is predeceased by two brothers, Rodney Michaud and Roger Michaud. Relatives and friends are invited to attend a Memorial Mass on Monday, September 12, 2005, at 11:00 a.m. at St. Mary's Church in Hamilton, NY. Interment in St. Joseph's Cemetery, Yorkville, will take place at the convenience of the family. In keeping with Mitch's wishes, there are no calling hours. In lieu of flowers, please consider donations to Hospice and Palliative Care, Inc., 4277 Middle Settlement Rd., New Hartford, NY 13413, to enable them to continue with their compassionate and caring work. Arrangements are entrusted to the Heintz Funeral Home, 1517 Whitesboro St., Utica.
Carol Michaud

John C. Miller
Rome Sentinel-May 20, 1904
John C. Miller, aged 73, died on Thursday at the home of his son, Charles Miller, 523 Blandina Street, Utica.  Mr. Miller had been in poor health since October, and last week suffered a stroke of paralysis, which caused his death.  He removed to Utica with his family twelve years ago.  In 1851, in Lee Center, he and Mary Jane O'dell were married.  She survives, as do five children, Charles N., A. Eugene, Mrs. Lydia Mickle and Helen E. Larrabee of Utica and John E. Miller of Oneida.  One brother, William Miller of Camden is also living.
Kathy Last

Rome Sentinel Sept 30, 1912
Death of a Child
Francis Minuto, aged 2 months and 17 days, son of Mr. And Mrs. John Minuto, died at the residence of his parents, 206 S. Washington Street, Sunday evening at 8 o’clock.  The funeral was held from St. John the Baptist Church on River street this afternoon. The Rev. Vincent Giorgio officiated.
Betty McCulloch

Obituary of Helen A. Mitchell
O.D. clipping. Utica,N.Y.
 Helen A. Mitchell, 61, of Heritage Acres, passed away Friday, June 6, 1986, in St. Elizabeth's Hospital.
 She was born in Sauquoit,October 16,1924, the daughter of Carl and Ella Mae Tyler Beyer. In 1947, in
South Carolina,Helen married Henry Mitchell. Mr. Mitchell  passed away in 1971. For the past eight
years, Mrs. Mitchell has been employed at the White Tower in New Hartford.She is of the Luthern faith.
 Mrs. Mitchell is survived by four daughters, Mrs. Floyd ( Kathy) Cmela, of Ca. Ms. Krystol, of New Hartford,
Mrs. David (Margaret) Wells of S. New Berlin, and Mrs. Keith (April) Casab, of Va; one son and daughter-
in-law, Henry and Bonnie Mitchell, of Utica; one sister Mrs. Donald (Ethel) Collver, of Floyd; two brothers,
Herman Beyer of Ca., and Richard Beyer, of Whitesboro. She is also survived by ten grandchildren. Mrs.
Mitchell was predeceased by a son,Carl,in 1973; and a brother, Robert, in 1984.
The funeral will be held Monday, June 9, 1986 at 10 o'clock from the Heintz Funeral Home,1517 Whitesboro
St. with Pastor William Bartels officiating. Burial will be in Mt. Olivet Cemetery. Calling hours at the funeral
home are Saturday 2-4 and 7-9 and Sunday 2-4 only.
Floyd R. Cmela

from Rome Sentinel, page 2, Feb. 13, 1936
HOMER J. MORRIS [should read MORSE] PASSES SUDDENLY....Retired Landscape, Gardener, Had Been Tax Collector in State Bridge - Homer J. Morse, this city, retired landscape gardener, died suddenly in Utica Hospital early this morning. He was born in State Bridge 84 years ago last November 29 and had resided in Rome 38 years. In June 1873, he married Estella Hill of Durhamville, who died a number of years ago [1930]. Mr. Morse, a member of the First M. E. Church, leaves two daughters, Mrs. F. J. Wittman [Helen Frances Morse 1880-1946, my paternal grandmother] of Utica and Mrs. Ernest Van Hovenburgh [Clara Jane Morse 1882-1962], 303 Kossuth St.; two sons, George G. Morris [should read MORSE], 618 W. Embargo St., and Hugh W. Morse, and four sisters, Mrs. George Mills [Emma Leora (Morse) Mills 1872-1960] of State Bridge; Mrs. William Bridgen [Mary Marilla (Morse) Bridgen 1861-1947] of Jordon; Mrs. Spencer Lewis [Sarah Malora (Morse) Lewis 1866-1950] of Syracuse; and Mrs. Claude Ennis [Alice Amanda (Morse) Ennis 1870-1959] of Pasadena, Calif. Fourteen grandchildren and 26 great-grandchildren also survive. While in State Bridge, Mr. Morse was active in affairs of the Republican party and at one time served as tax collector. (Submitters note: Throughout this obituary the surname is misspelled as Morris. I have corrected it to MORSE. I inserted [---] information for easier following of the children & siblings. Homer Jason Morse was the 2nd son of the 11 children of Charles H. Morse & Sally F. Strang. He is buried in the Rome Cemetery next to his wife, Estella Frances (Hill) Morse.
Judith (Wittman) Evenson

MORSE, Benjamin
From the Oneida Dispatch , 3 August 1877
July 31, 1877
Higginsville.- With weather  fine, haying season over, wheat and oats nearly harvested, corn, potatoes and other minor crops promising well, with plenty of copious showers, the husbandman can find no just cause for complaint.....Peace and harmony reign about here.  While the eastern world are in arms slaying their fellow men, and even in our own sister States the spirit of lawlessness and insurrection have been raging, but when death comes in our own vicinity it is felt more forcibly. Another land mark at the ripe old age of  82 years has passed into that other world from whence no traveler returns.  Mr. Benjamin Morse, after a brief illness, died on the 25th inst., funeral services by Elder Wm. Morrell, and was attended by a large concourse of sympathizing friends and relatives.....Boating is a little better. Freight we quote from Buffalo to NY: Wheat 5 and 5 3/4 cts per bushel, corn 5 cts., pine lumber $2.65 cts. per thousand feet....The Vernon Landing cheese factory
sold cheese at the Utica market last week at 10 1/2 cts.
Submitted by Phyllis Draper -

MORSE, Charles H
From the Rome Daily Sentinel, November 15, 1909
Higginsville, Nov 15 - Charles H Morse aged 85 years, died at his residence near here about 8 a.m. today after an illness of five weeks from pneumonia.  He was born at Grafton, N.Y. and had resided in this county many years.  He is survived by his aged wife, four sons, Henry of Benwell Ia., Homer of Rome, Frank of Pasadena, Cal., Charles E. of Greenville, Ill., and five daughters, Mrs. Spencer Lewis of Adams, Mrs. Alice Ennis of Pittsbugh, Pa., Mrs. Ida Preston of Benwell, Ia.,Mrs. George Mills of State Bridge, two brothers, William of Higginsville and George of Constableville, and four sisters, Mrs. Henry Brooks of Oneida, Mrs. Charles Crofoot of Constabilleville, Mrs. Chris. Agne and Mrs. O.A. Crandall of Seattle, Wash.
Submitted by Phyllis Draper -

from the Rome Sentinel Post Dec. 22, 1930
Mrs. H. F. Morse Called by Death..Native of Durhamville Passes Following Illness of Five Years - Mrs. Homer F. [should read J.] MORSE of 315 Brush Avenue died suddnly at her home early this morning following an illness of five years. Estelle F. Morse was born in Durhamville, Nov. 1, 1853, daughter of the late Charles [should read Gibson] and Caroline Foley Hill. Sixty years ago she married Mr. Morse, who survives. Mrs. Morse had resided in this city for the past 33 years, coming here from State Bridge. She was a member of the First M. E. Church. Surviving besides her husband are two daughters and two sons: Mrs. Fred J. Wittmann of Utica, Mrs. Clara Van Hovenburgh, George G. and Hugh W. Morse of Rome. Also surviving are two sisters, Mrs. George Bullock of Utica and Mrs. Helen Westbury of Maine. (Submitters note: Estella Frances Hill married Homer Jason Morse June 3,1874 making them married 57 yrs. not sixty. Conflicting date of birth 1 March 1853 or 1 Nov. 1853/54. Mrs. Fred J. Wittmann is Helen Frances (Morse) Wittmann 1880-1946 and is my paternal grandmother. Mrs. Ernest VanHovenburgh is Clara Jane (Morse) VanHovenburgh 1882-1962. Surviving sisters: Mrs. George Bullock is Anna (Hall) Bullock and Mrs. Helen Westbury of Maine is Helen (Hall) Westbury. Both are daughters of Estella's mother, Caroline (Foley)Hill Hall's 2nd mariage to J. Ransom Hall 1829/30-1888. They are, therefore, half sisters to Estella. Estella did have a full sister Mary E. Hill born abt 1849 and married a John Kent. Mary & John Kent had a daughter Sarah "Satie" Kent who married a Herman Habermas/Habernias. Seeking descendants of any of these lines.
from Rome Sentinel, page 2, Dec. 24, 1930 - Funeral Services Held For Estella F. Morse....Estella F. Morse, wife of Homer J. Morse, who passed away in this city Monday, was buried in Rome Cemetery this afternoon, following funeral services held from the home of her daughter, Mrs. Clara Van Hovenburg of 303 Kossuth Street at 3 o'clock. The Rev. O'Dale King, D. D., pastor of the First M. E. Church, officiated. Mrs. Arthur Seth Evans sand "The Old Rugged Cross" and "Lead Kindly Light". The bearers were Fred Whittman, Jr., Clarence Whittman, Harold Mills and Howard Whittman. There were floral pieces from the maintenance and rubber covered departments of General Cable Corp., relatives and friends. Mrs. Morse was born in Durhamville, March 1, 1853, a daughter of the late Gibson and Caroline Foley Hill. She married Mr. Morse 57 years ago and had resided in this city for 33 years. (Submitters note: The bearers surname should be spelled Wittmann, rather than Whittman. They were the grandsons of Estella, sons of her daughter Helen F.(Morse)Wittmann. Note correct parents named & date of birth and marriage that are different from her obituary. Seeking descendants & relatives.
Judith (Wittman) Evenson

MORSE, George W.
Oct. 24, 1918
   George W. Morse passed away Thursday morning at the home of his sister, Mrs. P. J. Crofoot.  His death was not unexpected as he suffered a stroke of paralysis September 9 and since that time his condition had been serious.  Mr. Morse was born in Higginsville, where he lived until the death of his parents, when he came to Constableville to live with his sister.  In 1868 he was united in marriage with Miss Mina Carpenter of Verona and they continued to reside in this place where he was employed as clerk in the store of Bennett & Crofoot.  Mrs. Morse died in 1869, leaving an infant son, who died 6 months later.  After the death of his wife he went to Oneida, where  he formed a partnership with Mr. Lyle under the firm name of Lyle & Morse, shoe dealers.  He later severed the connection and went south for the benefit of his health and there entered into partnership with Mr. Terry of Waterville in the orange business.  Later he was stationmaster and ticket agent at St. Augustine , Fla., a position he held for a number of years.  He afterward went to Terry, Kansas, where he was engaged in the real estate and drug business. He returned to Constableville about 25 years ago and was engaged in the general merchandise business which he purchased of the late P.J. Crofoot and which he successfully conducted until five years ago, when he retired from business.  Mr. Morse was an attendant of the M.E. church.  He was fond of travel and had several times crossed the Rocky Mountains and visited nearly all the states near the Pacific coast.  He was popular among his associates, friendly with all in his business relations and had the esteem of a large circle of acquaintances.  In his home he was always kind and possessed a happy disposition which won him many friends.  His death will be mourned in his home where he was devoted to his sister and also in the community where he had so long resided.  He is survived by two sisters, Mr. P.J. Crofoot of Constableville and Mr. C. Agne of Seattle ,Washington: and by a number of nieces and nephews.  Rev E.J. Davis of Boonville conducted service at the home of Mrs. Crofoot Saturday Morning and the body was taken to Higginsville, where services were conducted by Rev McKim of St. John's Church, Oneida.  Interment was made in the family lot in Grove Cemetery.
Submitted by Phyllis Draper -

MORSE, Henry S.
From unknown newspaper (probably  an Oneida NY newspaper), unknown date in the year 1914
Word has just been received here, of the recent death of Henry S. Morse at Redondo Beach, Cal, at the age of 64.  The early home of Mr. Morse was near Higginsville, he being the son of Charles and Sarah Morse, who were among the pioneer settlers of the town of Verona.  Many of the older residents of this vicinity will remember Mr. Morse as manager and part owner of the Dunbarton Glass Works, which did a thriving business for many years.  Later he removed to this city, where he engaged in the hardware business.  Four years ago, failing health induced him to take up his residence in California.  He is survived by his aged mother, five sisters and two brothers.
Submitted by Phyllis Draper -

MORSE, Hiram D.
From the Rome Daily Sentinel, Monday Evening, Jan. 9, 1905
Death of Hiram D. Morse, Lifelong Resident of Verona
Higginsville.  Jan. 9. - Hiram D. Morse, a native and lifelong resident of the town of Verona, died at his residence 1 mile east of this place, Saturday at 4 p.m.  His death was very sudden, although not unexpected, and was caused by heart disease.  His surviving relatives are a widow, two sons, Arthur and George, living at home, two daughters, Mrs. Jacob Mauer of Churchville and Mrs. William Hartman of Verona Mills; three brothers, Charles of State Bridge, William of Higginsville and George of Constableville and six sisters, Mrs. Jane Jackson of Higginsville, Mrs. Henry Brooks of Oneida, Mrs. Electa Crandall of Buffalo, Mrs. P.J. Crofoot of Constableville, Mrs. Christian Agne of Seattle, Wash. and one other living in the state of Kansas.  He was a member of the New London
Lodge No. 420 F.&A.M.  The funeral will be held from the church in Higginsville Tuesday at 2 p.m. and interment will be made in Grove Cemetery.
Submitted by Phyllis Draper -

MORSE, Homer J.
From the Rome Sentinel 13 Feb 1936
Retired Landscape Gardener Had Been Tax Collector in State Bridge
Homer J. Morse, this city, retired landscape gardener, died suddenly in a Utica Hospital early this morning.  He was born in State Bridge 84 years ago last November 29 and had resided in Rome 38 years.  In June, 1873 he married Estella Hill of Durhamville, who died a number of years ago.
Mr. Morse, member of the First M.E.Church, leaves two daughters, Mr. F. J. Wittman, Utica, and Mrs. Clara Van Hovenburgh, 303 Kossuth St.: two sons, George G. Morse, 618 Embargo St., and Hugh W. Morse, 718 Liberty St., and four sisters, Mrs. George Mills, State Bridge, Mrs. William
Bridgen, Jordan, Mrs. Sadie Lewis, Syracuse, and Mrs. Alice Ennis, Pasadena, Calif. Fourteen grand-children and 26 great-grandchildren also survive.
While in State Bridge, Mr. Morse was active in affairs of the Republican party and at one time served as tax collector.
Submitted by Phyllis Draper -

MORSE, Mrs. Homer J.
From The Rome Sentinel , 24 Dec 1930
MRS. H. J. MORSE CALLED BY DEATH Native of Durhamville Passes Following Illness of Five Years
    Mrs. Homer J. Morse of 315 Brush Avenue died suddenly at her home early this morning following an illness of five years.
    Estella F. Morse was born in Durhamville, March 1, 1853, daughter of the late Gibson and Caroline Foley Hill.  Sixty years ago she married Mr. Morse, who survives.
     Mrs. Morse had resided in this city for the past 33 years, coming here from State Bridge.  She was a member of the First M.E. Church.
      Surviving besides her husband are two daughters and two sons, Mrs. Fred J. Wittmann of Utica, Mrs. Clara Van Hovenburgh, George G. and Hugh W. Morse of Rome.  Also surviving are two sisters, Mrs. George Bullock of Utica and Mrs. Helen Westbury of Maine.
Submitted by Phyllis Draper -

MORSE, Mrs. Sally
From the Rome Daily Sentinel Nov. 23, 1923
Mrs. Sally Morse died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. S.C. Lewis in Syracuse, on Thursday, aged 96 years.  Her maiden name was Sally Strang and she was born in Dutchess  County, N.Y., but most of her life was spent in State Bridge, this county.  Besides Mrs. Lewis, the daughter at whose home she died, she is survived by three other daughters, Mrs. Marilla Bridgen of Jordan, Mrs. George Mills of State Bridge and Mrs. Claude Ennis of California, and two sons, Homer Morse of Rome and Charles Morse in the west.  There are also 21 grandchildren and a number of great-grandchildren.  Mr. Morse, the son and George Morse and Mrs. Clara Van Hovenburgh, grandchildren of this city, will attend the funeral, which will be held at State Bridge tomorrow afternoon with interment in Grove cemetery, Higginsville.
Submitted by Phyllis Draper -

MORSE, William
From the Rome Daily Sentinel, Friday Evening , 28 February 1913
Higginsville, Feb 27. - William Morse, an old and respected citizen, passed away at 7 o'clock this morning after an illness of about three weeks.  The cause of death was a complication of diseases due to old age.  He was born in the town of Verona 84 years ago last August.  He was one of family of 15 children, four of whom survive him, as follows: Neda Crandall of Colorado, Mary Agne, Seattle, Wash., George, and Mrs. Clarisa Crofoot of Constableville.  He also had two half-brothers,
Horace Morse of Albion and Alvin Morse of this place and one half-sister, Mrs. Henry Bowman of Durhamville.  He was married in 1862 to Cleora Morse of McConnellsville. The result of that marriage was five children, William and Heath, Amsterdam, A.R. Morse, Milwaukee, Mrs. A.R.
Ney, Monessen, Pa., and Mrs. Alma Boynton, Scranton.  In his younger days he was a boatman.  He was afterwards on of the firm of Morse, Heath & Morse of Buffalo, commission merchants.  For the last 20 years he lived on his farm near this village.  In politics he was a Democrat. When the church was built here he took an active part, donating the site.  He was a trustee of the same for many years.  He was a kind and obliging neighbor, devoted husband and indulgent father.  No one ever went to him for assistance that was within his power to render but he granted it.  His widow survives.  The funeral will be held in the church on Friday at 2 p.m.  Interment in the family lot in Grove Cemetery.
Submitted by Phyllis Draper -

MORTON, Samuel D.
 Roman Citizen Rome, NY August 4, 1846
SAMUEL D. MORTON, an aged and respected citizen of this town, died suddenly at his residence on the 30th. Although in feeble health for some time, he had been able to attend to his businesses until the day before his death. Mr. M. was 61 years of age, and had long been a resident of this town, and was highly respected as and upright and worthy citizen. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church  Judy A. Morton Chladek 5164 South Taft Way Littleton, CO 80127

MOULTON, Stephen
    " Another Revolutionary Patriot Gone-Died, at this residence in Floyd, N.Y. , on the 1st of February, 1851, Stephen Moulton, formerly from Stafford Connecticut., at age 91 years, of inflammation of the lungs.
    He was a member of the celebrated band of musicians of the Revolutionary army, under Timothy Olmstead,  He emigrated to Floyd Sixty-one years since, was one of the pioneer settlers of the county, and has occupied the same farm from that period.  He was never sick until his last sickness, but at all times enjoyed health and vigor during a long life, and often boasted that 'the doctors were no richer for him, as he never took a portion of medicine.'  He was very spry and active to an advanced age, and at the season walked over in the morning from his dwelling to this village, (Rome) some seven miles, priding himself upon being the first to execute his pension papers, on the 4th of March and September.  He was honest and particular in his business transactions, and very cautious and unwilling to contract a debt; was a kind, considerate, and obliging neighbor, husband and father.  he had the happy faculty to 'drive away dull care' and always a fund of anecdotes to instruct and amuse those around him, enjoying, as he was wont, a hearty laugh with unmeasured satisfaction.  His death occurred about four weeks after the attack, and such was the strength of his constitution, that his muscular powers were in some force for twelve or fifteen hours after his pulse had apparently ceased."

MURPHY, Eleanor
 April 2, 1934 Rome Sentinel
Eleanor Carpenter, 74, widow of George Murphy, died Sunday in a local hospital. She lived at 208 N. George St. Mrs. Murphy's entire life had been spent in Rome and vicinity. Her husband died four years ago last November. Mrs. Murphy was a member of the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church and is survived by a brother, Welcome, of Floyd.

Charles F. Mulvihill
Rome Sentinel-March 26, 1915
Charles F. Mulvihill in his 74th. year, died at his home, 301 Williams Street, at 9:30 o'clock this forenoon as the result of complications.  He had been in failing health for the past two or three years and had been confined to his home during the winter months, but was able to be about the house a part of each day.  Mr. Mulvihill was born in Albion on May 20, 1841 and his young life was spent there.  On August 6, 1862, at Williamstown, he enlisted in Company B 119th Regiment, New York Volunteers and served in the Civil War until August 28, 1865, when he was discharged.  A short time after leaving the army
he was married to Miss Katherine Coffey of Albion.  Six children were born of this union all of whom are living.  They are:  Mrs. L. B. Houtz of Ill., Miss May Mulvihill of Chicago, Edward C. of Los Angeles, Cal., William F. of Chiago, Richard of Goodrich, Idaho, and Daniel Mulvihill of Brakton, Mass.  His first wife died several years ago and in 1887 he was married to Mrs. Harriet A. Mullen of New York Mills who survivies.  Mr. Mulvihill first came to this city to make his home here about 30 years ago.  He afterwards removed to Syracuse and 20 years ago came back here to reside.  For a number of years
Mr. Mulvihill held the position of janitor in the Jay Street School and filled these duties in a very satisfactory manner.  Last fall his health failing he was given a one year's vacation in hope he would get well.  He was a member of Skillin Post No. 47, GAR.  Mr. Mulvihill was a well known and highly respected resident of this city and had many friends who held him in high esteem.
Kathy Last

Rome Sentinel May 15, 1967
Luciano (John) Muscarella, 88, of 432 Depeyster St., died this morning in Rose Hospital after a short illness.
Born in Sicily, Nov 4, 1878, he was the son of Salvatore and Maria Muscarella. He came to this country and to Oswego in 1888.
He married the former Rosaria Scatarrazza about 1900. They moved to Rome in 1924. She died Jan 20, 1932
He was a communicant of St. John the Baptist Church.
Surviving are [private].
Funeral services will be held Thursday morning at 8:15 at the Martin J. Nunn Funeral Home, and at 9 in St. John the Baptist Church, where a requiem high mass will be celebrated. Interment will be in the parish cemetery.