Send in Your Obituary Information

Rome Sentinel - Nov 19, 1964
Adam Salvaggio, 74, Upper Floyd Ave., died last night in a local hospital after a long illness.  He was born in Italy on March 6, 1890, son of Lucas and Lena (Nicasio and Antonina) Salvaggio.  His wife was the former Josephine Menzarelle.  Mr. Salvaggio came to this country in 1908 and resided here since.  He worked as a cook at the Oneida County Hospital for 16 year before retirement.  He was a communicant of St. John the Baptist Church.  Surviving are six nieces, Mrs. Caroline Carpenter, Mrs. Lena Scuderi, Mrs. Phyllis Carpenter and Mrs. Florence George all of Rome; Mrs. Catherine Prestipino, Albany, and Mrs. Josephine Burdick, Portage, Ind.; three nephews Patsy Falcone, Utica <private>; 11 grandnephews and 10 grandnieces.  Funeral services will be held Saturday at 8:15 at the Bottini Funeral Home and at 9 in St. John the Baptist Church, where a solemn requiem high Mass will be celebrated.  Interment will be in St. John the Baptist Cemetery.
Betty M.

Rome Sentinel - May 11, 1933
Dominick Salvaggio, 74, of 311 Lawrence St., died at 2:15 this afternoon at a local hospital where he had been ill exactly one month today. He came to Rome 25 years ago from Italy and had lived here since. Mr. Salvaggio is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Frances Alaimo of this city, and Mrs. Mary Vello of Stanwix and one son James Salvaggio of Oakland California.
Betty M.

Rome Sentinel Feb 17, 1979
Frank P. Salvaggio Sr., 83, of 310 Canal St., a retired Revere employee, died today in Rome Hospital after a long illness.
He was born April 1, 1895, in Cattolica Eroclea, Sicily, son of Antonion and Filippa Catdarona Salvaggio. He came to this country in 1913, settling in York, Pa., and moved to Rome in 1916. He was educated in Italy.
On Oct 27, 1923, in St. John the Baptist Church, he married the former Angeline Soldato.
Mr. Salvaggio was employed at Revere for 38 years, as a machine operator in Rome Division, and prior to that worked in Rome Iron Mills. He retired in 1960.
He was a member of St. John the Baptist Church.
Surviving besides his wife are six daughters, Mrs. Donald (Phyllis) Seifert, Oneida; Mrs. Edwin (Leona) Wagner, Durhamville; Mrs. Angeline Wickham, Lee Center; Mrs. Joseph (Josephine) Halbeisen, Charlotte, NC; Mrs. Irwin (Frances) Smith, Oneida, and Mrs. James (Anna Marie) Parisi, Rome; three sons, Anthony P Salvaggio, Vito P. Salvaggio and Frank P. Salvaggio Jr., all of Rome; 24 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
Funeral services will be held at 9:15 Monday at the Strong Funeral Home, and at 10 in St. John the Baptist Church. Burial will be in the parish cemetery.
Betty M.

MRS. FRANK SASENBURY – From the Boonville Herald October 13, 1960
Mrs. Frank (Sadie) Sasenbury 80, Woodgate Drive, died October 7, 1960, at her home after a long illness. She suffered a stroke six years ago and had been bedridden most of the time since. She was born on Prince Edward Island, Canada, January 21, 1880, daughter of Daniel and Catherine McInnis Hogan. She came to this country at an early age and she and Frank Sasenbury married in Ava December 30, 1909. They settled on the Charles Oster farm at Ava where the resided six years. In 1947 they purchased the large Kent farm near West Leyden and operated this until 1955 when the couple came to Boonville. Mrs. Sasenbury studied nursing in Canada hospitals and was well known in the Boonville area as a practical nurse. She attended the Dutch Reformed Church at West Leyden and was a member of its Ladies Aid Society. Surviving besides her husband there are four daughters, Mrs. Stella Barnes, Wingdale, N.Y.; Mrs. Albert Cry, Boonville, and Mrs Ralph Traxel, Rome; two sons, Frank E., Boonville, and Russell, Utica. There also are 12 grandchildren, 23 great grandchildren and one aunt.. A son, Hubert, died in 1936.
Funeral services were held Tuesday with prayer service at the home of her daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Albert Cyr, Woodgate Drive, Boonville, at 1 p.m. and at 2 p.m., from the Reformed Church, West Leyden. Rev. Bert A Pennings, pastor of this church, officiated. Miss Elva Luckel was the organist. The bearers were Elmer Rauscher, LeRoy Flint, Byron Trainor, Elmer Gleasman, LeRoy Ernst, Raymond Simons. There was a profusion of beautiful floral tributes. Among these were flowers from the West Leyden Reformed Church, Ladies Auxiliary, V.F.W., Rome Post 2246, Past Presidents Lodge V.F.W., Rome, neighbor of Woodgate Drive of Boonville, residents of Building “R” Wingdale, Boonville Mfg. Corporation, Adirondack Oil and Fuel Co., Sanford Pharmacy, Boonville American Legion Auxiliary, the Boys from Boonville Post Office, Auto Mechanic Lodge 1787. Those attending the funeral services were from Boonville, Wingdale, Rome, Largo, Florida, Utica, Camden, Ava, West Leyden, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Schenectady. Interment was made in West Leyden Cemetery where Rev. Pennings conducted the committal service.
Jeff Nicklaw

FRANK E. SASENBURY – From the Boonville Herald December 31, 1985
Frank E. Sasenbury, Sr. 94, who spent most of his life in the West Leyden – Ava – Boonville area, died at Sunset Nursing Home December 27, 1985, after a long illness. Before entering the nursing home in mid October, Mr. Sasenbury lived at Kortenaer Village on South Street. Born in the Town of Lewis November 5, 1891, he was a son of William and Frances Gleasman Sasenbury. He married Sadie Hogan December 20, 1909. She died October 7, 1960. After their marriage the operated the Oaster Farm near West Leyden for six years. The Sasenburys then purchased the Kent Farm north of West Leyden, which they operated from 1920 until 1923. They lived in Ava and Booneville for ten years before returning to the Kent Farm, which the operated until 1947. After retiring from farming, Mr Sasenbury drove a school bus for the west Leyden Central School for nine years. For a time he was employed at the Sheffield Farms Milk Plant in Boonville. Mr. Sasenbury also carried mail from the railroad to the Boonville Post Office for five years. He retired in the early 1960’s. On November 11, 1967 he married Clara Fuhrman Rose in Hawkinsville. They lived in Hawkinsville until 1974 when they moved to Rome. Several years later they returned to Boonville where they lived at Kortenaer Village. Mr. Sasenbury attended the Reformed Church at West Leyden. Besides his wife, Mr. Sasenbury is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Sadie Rice, Boonville, a step daughter Arlene Leska of West Monroe, three step sons, Edmund Roser, Holland Patent, Leon Roser, West Leyden and Floyd Roser, Hawkinsville and Florida; 11 grandchildren; 10 step grandchildren, numerous great grandchildren, step great grandchildren, great great grandchildren and step great great grandchildren. Among the grandchildren are Ronald Cry and Shirley Linck both of Boonville. Mr. Sasenbury waw predeceased by a daughter, Mrs. Albert (Laura) Cyr, three sons, Frank E. Jr., Russel and Hubert, and two step daughters, Flavin Traxel and Stella Barnes. Funeral services were held December 28, 1985 at the Trainor Funeral Home, where Rev. C. Harrison Ward, assistant pastor of the Boonville Methodist Church, officiated. Interment will be made in west Leyden Cemetery. Memorials may be made to Boonville Fire Department Ambulance fund.
Jeff Nicklaw

17 Jul 1797, Hopkinton, RI - 20 Dec 1834, Verona, NY.
The Protestant Sentinel, Volume V, 1834-35, page 503, Jan 1835, "DIED - At his residence in Verona, Oneida Co., on the 20th ult [of the prior month], Mr. Russel Saunders, in the 38th year of his age.  As a citizen, a neighbor, and a Christian, Mr. Saunders stood high.  He has long been an efficient member of the Sabbath Baptist Church in that place, and has left a widow and four children to mourn his loss.  "His last hours were such as we might anticipate from his life.  An extract from a letter from Eld. Sebeus M. Burdick, to his brother Isaac Saunders, states - "I arrived at his house on the 18th of the month, and found him sick of a fever:  and when I inquired into the state of his health, he informed me that he was quite sick.  He had taken cold about two weeks previous to this time, and had a relapse of the same disease from which he had partially recovered.  He was glad to see me, and wished me to pray with him.  He entered deeply into the spirit of devotion, and his resignation to the will of Heaven was so complete that he could say, not my will but thine, O God,  be done. I stayed with him that night, and in the morning, in conversation, he expressed himself on this wise:  said he, "I know that it is a great thing to change worlds; but it will be a good change to exchange this world of pain and distress for glory."  The Church has sustained a great loss in one whose pious example shone like the meridian sun to all who knew him.  But I must forbear, the loss is more sensibly felt by the widow and orphans, who mourn with tears their irreparable loss; but they mourn not without hope."  "The news of Br. Saunders death is truly painful, from a long personal acquintance with him, and as the good report which he maintained associated him with the best interests of the church with which he was connected, and with the general interests of the cause of  Christ.  Although he only sustained a private relation, yet he was a member of influence, and a pillar in the church." The following was added by the editor of the Sentinal - "We feel moved with sympathy for our brethren in Verona, as the hand of God seems laid heavily upon them.  Since the receipt of the foregoing obituary notice, we have received a notice of the death of Br. Joshua Williams, between whom and Br. Saunders, in point of piety and usefulness, we know not how to discriminate, as they both sustained the confidence of their brethren, and were not behind the first members of that church.  We certainly hope that others who have not been prominent may arise to fill their places, and sustain the interests of that now flourishing church."
Jon Saunders

Utica Morning Herald - August 7, 1891 - Oneida County, Utica, NY.
John J. Schmidt - Yesterday at his residence No. 12 Wiley Street, occurred the death of John J. Schmidt, aged 49 years. The deceased was born in Germany, but came to this country when 9 years of age with his parents locating in Utica. After living here a short time he moved to Point Rock, where he resided for several years, before returning to Utica. When the civil war broke out the deceased enlisted in company C, Fourteenth regiment New York volunteers. When mustered out of service, Mr. Schmidt returned to Utica and took a great interest in the city's welfare. He was at one time a member of the Hutchinson guards of the old Twenty-sixth battalion. He was a member of Post McQuade, G.A.R. Order of United Friends, German Rifle corps, and the Carpenters' and Jointers' union. Mr. Schmidt was twice married. His first wife, Catherine Schrader, died in March 1870. The following January he married Minnie Ritter, who survives him with nine children.
Karen Dwyer

SCHROEDER, Mrs. George (Agnes Reese)
From newspaper obit-11/Sept/1907, p8, The Observer Dispatch
Mrs. George H. Schroeder
Many friends will learn with sorrow of the death of Mrs. George H. Schroeder, as esteemed resident of Cornhill and this city for over 30 years.  She had been in poor health for about two months and for the past two weeks had been confined to her bed. The maiden name of the deceased was Agnes E. Reese, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred G. Reese, and she was born in Zeitz, Germany, Dec. 12, 1847.  She came to this country when a young girl and for a number of years resided in New York.  Forty-five years ago to-day she was married at Williamsburg, N. Y. and until 1869 resided at New York.  For a number of years following she lived in Philadelphia and for the past 31 years she had been a resident of this city.  She was a member of Olivet Presbyterian Church and an earnest worker in the Ladies Aid Society connected therewith.  She was a kind mother and wife, beloved by all, and her death will be regretted by many.  Besides her husband she is survived by one sister, Mrs. Andrew Chapin of Low Center, Mass: four sons, Fred E. of Brooklyn, George and William of Pittsburg, Pa. and Henry F. of this city; also four daughters, Mrs. Joseph Weider of Schenectady, Mrs. Oran Fuller, Mrs. Lewis Lee and Mill Eveline L. Schroeder, all of this city and eight grandchildren.
Glenn Hickernell

Passed away
Had been Established in the Piano Business in Utica for 38 years WAS A MUSICIAN AND TALENTED COMPOSER
The death of Gottlieb Henry Schroeder occurred at his home, 1528 Seymour Avenue, Saturday evening.  The deceased had been ill for the past three weeks, but his death was most unexpected and was due to heart failure. Mr. Schroeder was well known in Utica, where he had been established in the piano business for the past 38 years.  In the course of that time he had won the friendship of many through his learning, his sturdy character and his amiable disposition.  Even those who were not intimately acquainted with the deceased will regret to read of the death of the composer of such tuneful and catchy melodies as the "Manhattan Beach Waltz,"  "Down the Beautiful Mohawk,"  "Tippecanoe and Morton Too," and "Cleveland's Inauguration March."  The deepest blow is to the family, who knew him as a loving husband and a devoted father.   Mr. Schroeder was born in Scheesel, Hanover, Germany, Feburary 28, 1839.  He was educated in Germany and graduated from the German University and also studied music at the conservatory at the University of Leipaic.  When he came to this country at the age of 23 he settled in New York, where for five years he engaged in business.  For a short time he taught French, German and Latin in the High School in Jersey City.  Mr Schroeder was a deep student of languages, being able to converse in as many as six different tongues. The deceased was a member of the Royal Arcanun, Imperial Council, No 70 and was a charter member of the Olivet Presbyterian Church. Mr. Schroeder was married in New York shortly after coming to this country to the former Agnes Reese.  In  1876 he came to Utica and was fot two years employed as teacher in the German School then conducted in connection with Zion's Lutheran Church.  He gradually turned his attention more and more to pianos, teaching music and selling pianos and in time this became his sole occupation.   His sons became manufacturers and dealers in pianos also.
Submitted by Glenn Hickernell  7041 Buffalo Road Harborcreek, PA 16421

SECOR, Alice
From the Rome Daily Sentinel, just after 16 Aug 1990
Mrs. Alice A. Secor
Mrs. Alice A. Secor, 93, of Whitesville, formerly of St. Peter's Avenew, a retired employee of Rome Developmental Center, died Thursday, Aug. 16, 1990, in Jones Memorial Hospital, Wellsville, after a long illness. Born March 26, 1897, in the Town of Constantia, she was a daughter of Charles and Mary Bolster Butler. On Dec. 16, 1916, she married Clifford Secor Sr. in Rome. He is deceased. Mrs. Secor was employed by Rome Developmental Center for 14 years before retiring in 1961. She had previously worked at General Cable and at Griffiss Air Force Base. While living in Rome, she was a member of the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church and its Women Missionary Prayer Fellowship. Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Robert (Ernestine) Wood, Whitesville, with whom she resided, and Mrs. Charles (Alice) Muth, Verona; four sons, George W. Secor and Herbert H. Secor, both of Rome, James C. Secor Jr., Vernon, and Robert H. Secor, Mystic, Conn.; a sister, Mrs. Edward (Jennie) Blanchard, Syracuse; 10 grandchildren and several great-grandchildren. She was predeceased by a son, Ralph E. Secor, on Feb. 27, 1990.
Services will be at 3 p.m. Monday at the Nunn and Harper Funeral Home. Burial will be in Evergreen Cemetery, Stokes. Calling hours are Sunday from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Memorial contributions can be made to the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church.
Sent by - Cheryl Waterman

Death of George F. SHEPHARD of Muscatine, Ia., a Native of Verona
Vernon, March 29.--George F. SHEPHARD died at the home of his daughter at Muscatine, Iowa, March 22.  Mr. Shephard was born in Verona about 90 years ago.  He married Catherine BENEDICT of Verona in 1848, and in 1855 moved west, where he had since resided.  Mr. Shephard is survived by his widow, two sons and a daughter, also by three sisters, Mrs. E. A. BROOKS of Chicago, Mrs. William STRINGER of Munnsville and Mrs. A. B. PARDEE  of Vernon.  Mr. Shephard visited in Vernon in 1895, and will doubtless be remembered by the older residents.

Oct. 30th, 1867, of yellow fever, at Natchez, Miss., Mr. N. K. SHEPARD, aged 55 years, formerly of Verona, Oneida county, N.Y.

The following information was gathered from the Saturday Globe Newspaper, dated August 3, 1895.
Miss Carrie E. SHOTTHAFER loses her life in West Canada Creek.  There was sorrow in many hearts when the announcement came to Utica Wednesday night that Miss Carrie E. Shotthafer had been drowned at Trenton Falls.  Miss Shotthafer, in company with several other ladies, went to Trenton Falls Wednesday afternoon.  Early in the evening they were walking down the gorge, past the stairway to Moore's Hotel, and as they proceeded along a narrow ledge at a point where the water in the creek is very deep, Miss Fannie Alexander slipped and fell into the stream.  Hastening to her assitance, Miss Shotthafer reached out to catch her companion.  The latter clapsed her hand, but Miss Shotthafer was not strong enough to draw her to the shore, and was herself drawn into the water.  Mrs. F. W. Kellar, Miss Shotthafer's sister, ran to their aid and wading into the water to her waist grabbed Miss Alexander and held her fast, while Mrs. Stephen Ellis, the fourth member of the party, ran to the hotel for help.  Charles Morgan responded and rushing down into the gorge found Miss Alexander clinging to an overhanging branch of a tree which she had reached with Mrs. Kellar's assistance.  The latter lay near her in a fainting condition.  Meanwhile Miss Shotthafer had been drawn down stream by the rapid current and despite her efforts to save herself was carried beyond the reach of human help.  A search was instituted for her, but it was not until the following afternoon that the body was found, 400 feet below where she fell in.  The remains were brought to Utica and the funeral takes place to-day.
Miss Shotthafer was 28 years of age and the daughter of ex-Ald. George Shotthafer.  For the past eight years she had been a teacher in the South Street School.  She was prominent among the young people of Trinity Church and was a favorite in the circles wherein she moved.

Mrs. Lena Scuderi, of Stonehedge Nursing Home who formerly resided on lower S. James St., passed away on September 6, 1991, in the Rome Hospital after a short illness.
She was born on August 3, 1903, in Buffalo, NY, the daughter of Giovanni and Jennie Salvaggio Falcone. On March 31, 1919, in Rome she married Salvatore “Sam” Scuderi, who passed away July 31, 1974.
She was a member of St. John the Baptist Church and its Congregation of Mary. Mrs. Scuderi co-owned and operated Sam Scuderi and Sons Produce Growers for many years until her retirement.
She is survived by [private]. She was predeceased by three sisters, Caroline Carpenter, Phyllis Carpenter and Florence George.
Funeral Services will be held Monday morning at the Bottini Funeral Home and at 10:30 am. In St. John the Baptist Church for a Mass of Christian burial, which all are welcome to attend. Interment in St. John the Baptist Cemetery.
Rome Sentinel Sept 7, 1991.

Rome Daily Sentinel, 20 Nov 1909:
Ira E. Skellham, Driver for Seaton & Bridge, Coal Dealers, Oneida.
   Oneida, Nov. 20.--Ira E. Skellham, driver for the coal firm of Seaton & Bridge, was instantly killed at 2:30 p.m. yesterday at the James street crossing of the New York Central railroad in this city.  The gates at the crossing were in charge of Bert Carey, who has tended them for some time, and for some unaccountable reason he failed to lower them. After the tragedy he went home and then to the police station and gave himself up. It is expected that a charge of manslaughter will soon
be laid against him.    Mr. Skellham  had delivered a load of coal on the south side of the railroad and was driving across the track with a team and empty wagon. Just as he reached track 1 train No. 18, Southwestern limited, about three hours late and running about 60 miles an hour to make up lost time, struck his rig. Both horses were killed and the body of Mr. Skellham became wedged in the engine and was carried till the train came to a stop about three-eights of a mile east of the crossing. The noise of the crash attracted a large crowd. Coroner Brooks was summoned and directed that the remains of Mr. Skellham be taken in charge by Undertaker Campbell. Every bone in the body was broken and the skull badly crushed.
   Mr. Skellham entered the employ of Seaton & Bridge on Thursday. He was about 36 years old, and leaves besides  his wife three small children. Three brothers and three sisters also survive, one of the sisters being Mrs. Andrew Hoffman of 814 Armstrong avenue, Rome. District Attorney E. Watts Cushman of Hamilton will investigate the accident in connction with Coroner Brooks's inquest.
Man & Team Killed
Driver Skellham Met a Horrible Death at the James St. crossing
Oneida Dispatch 26 Nov 1909--Ira E. Skellham of 8 E. Elm St., a driver employed by Seaton * Bridge, coal dealers, was instantly killed at 2:30 o'clock last Friday afternoon at the James St. crossing of the NY Central railroad by engine 3,577, drawing train No. 18, the Southwestern limited, eastbound, which was about three hours late and was running at a speed estimated at 60 miles per hour.   Mr. Skellham was driving a bay team owned by his employers, and had just delivered a load of coal on the South Side. The gates were up, and he drove onto the tracks on his way back to the coal yard with no thought that death was so near.     The team and wagon had gotten squarely onto track #1 when the train struck the outfit. Both horses were instantly killed, the wagon was demolished, and Mr. Skellham was caught on the front of the engine and carried just across Oneida Creek, nearly a half mail east, before the engineer, who quickly applied the air brakes, bought the train to a
stop.   The noise of the crash soon drew a crowd.  Coroner Brooks hastened to the scene, and after viewing the body ordered it removed to Undertaker Campbell's morgue, where an examination showed that almost every bone was broken.  The skull was crushed, the top of the head was mutilated, but the face was not badly marred.  Parts of the wagon were strewn along the tracks to Lake St. and one horse was mutilated and ground to pieces under the engine while the other was thrown to the north side of the tracks.   The gates were in charge of Bert Carey of 47 East Railroad St. who, horrified at the accident, went immediately to his home and soon afterward gave himself up to the police.  He voluntarily remained at the police station, without being placed under arrest to await the result of the coroner's inquest which was commenced on Tuesday.  District Attorney Cushman was in town on Saturday and had a conference with Coroner Brooks relative to the proceedings.   Mr. Skellham was about 35 years old and a man of good reputation and character.  His wife was prostrated over the news of the horrible accident.  He was formerly employed as driver by the coal firm of House and Petrie, and the forepart of last week was working for the New York Telephone Company laying the subways for underground wires.  He also leaves three small children, three sisters, Mrs. Abner Knight of Oneida, Mrs. Adam Jacobs of Syracuse and Mrs. Andrew Hoffman of Rome and three brothers Edward and Charles of Minnsville and William of Albion.    The funeral, which was largely attended, was held at St. Paul's Evangelical Church Sunday afternoon, Rev. Heiman Ret. officiating. Burial was made in Glenwood.
  Att. Jerry F. Conner has been retained by the family to take up the matter of damages with the railroad company.
Note: His wife was Anna Johanne Wilhelmena NETZBAND who later married Florin FULLER.
Oneida Dispatch 14 Jan 1910 Coroner N. O. Brooks has handed down his decision in the Skellham inquest in which he holds that “Ira E. Skellham met death while attempting to cross the New York Central tracks from the south side, while the guard gates were up, by being struck by the Southwestern Limited, otherwise known as train No. 18, eastbound; that the
body was carried eastward on the pilot of the engine to a point near Oneida creek, in the city of Oneida, and that he came to his death through the negligence of the New York Central Railroad company, its employes or agents.”   It is understood that the Central offered to settle with Mrs. Skellham for $4,500, but a settlement has not been effected.  City Judge Jerry F. Connor is her attorney.
Sent by - Cheryl Waterman

Charles Conrad Snyder (Schneider)
Obit - Printed in the Utica Herald Dispatch (Utica, New York - Oneida County) 11/25/1908
Charles C. Snyder - Died of Paralysis - Was a former well known - Utica Lawyer
Was in Austro-Prussian War When a Youth - Learned Painting in Germany and Law in Utica - Paralysis Crippled His Faculties.
Charles C. Snyder, who practiced law in this city for many years and was a well known Democratic politician in the '80's died at Rome yesterday afternoon. His death was the result of paralysis with which he was first stricken in 1904. For years prior to that time Mr. Snyder was in weak health which crippled his activities in his profession. All his life before that period he was a hard worker and a man of good education, chiefly though his own efforts. He was admitted to the bar in his 40th year, having worked himself up from a painter's assistant, store clerk, farm hand and other occupations. Mr. Snyder came from Germany to this country when a young man. While a lawyer in this city he conducted a law library exchange in the Arcade. He was a bright man, well read in law and literature and a good conversationalist. His first illness and latterly his paralytic seizure robbed hime of much of his faculty.
Charles Conrad Snyder was born in Wallkauson, in the kingdom of Wurttemberg one of the German states, on December 27, 1847. His parents were resident village farmers. His father lived to the age of 86, but his mother died when he was 11 years old. The family was a very large one; the father married again and the stepmother did not seem to agree with the children. As a young boy Mr. Snyder was steady at work, assisting at home. He had instilled into him a great notion for an education by his maternal grandfather, a college graduate, who was the boy's daily tutor. He graduated from the village schools in his founteenth year. His stepmother vetoing the expense of a higher education, the boy went to the village minister and took a course in Latin. He later ran away and managed to get into a public military school through the influence of his grandparent, where he hoped to be left unmolested. He was discovered and taken home and apprenticed for three years at Michaelbach to a carriage maker and painter. In this he succeeded and passed examination in 20 months, thus being released six months before his turn. After this he went working at his trade in his native village, till his father collected his wages, when he left town as a journeyman, traveling and working in a number of shops in Germany.
During the Austro-Prussian War, in 1866, he fell in with the army and thus became master of all the German provincial dialects. He returned home with the army of occupation at the end of the war, and remained at home, working at farm duties, till the spring of 1867, when he teased his father to let him emigrate to American with part of the fund in hand from his mother's estate.
Succeeding in his appeal, he landed in New York, June 29, 1867, and came to Utica, whre he was for some months employed by A. Dixon, then the proprietor of a wagon shop on the corner of State and Cooper Streets. Later he worked in the sash factory of Embley & Son on Court Street and Chenango Avenue. During the following winter, in 1868, he drifted to Frankfort, where he got employment as a clerk in a canal store, remaining to the end of the canal season. After this he was variously employed, first at a meat market, then as office boy for a doctor for six months; next heworked at carriage painting in Frankfort some months. His employer called for him in his paint shop at Trenton, where he went May 12, 1869; worked there for John Hughrs for some months and later worked on a farm. In October, William W. Jones of Remsen called on him to take charge of his house painting jobs and continued to work for him till January 1, 1871. On that date he commenced business on his own account, at carriage lpainting in winter and house painting in summer. He also became a dealer in paints, glass, sash and doors and builder's and painters' supplies, and so continued till 1877, doing a profitable and successful business and none seemed to be able to compete with him. He had his own way.
During all these years he used every spare moment for study of the English language and a general education. After he had been in the country three monts he had gained sufficient knowledge of the English language for his needs and study for improvement so continued that in 1872 he became country correspondent for the Utica daily papers and was an interesting paragrapher till 1884. He also studied medicine, theology, geology and the Bible as well as various foreign languages. While at Remsen he commenced the study of the law, first with no instructor, then under the tuition of Professor Isaac Edwards, dean of the Albany Law School; later under the guidance of Attorney John S. Van Dewalker, a graduate of S.M. Lindsley's office, and later attended the Hamilton College law department, under Professor Elliott Evans. He lpasses an examination, graduating as LLB in May 1878, in a class of 23, among them being Major L.E. Goodier and Edward W. Wells and others of this city. He opened an office in Remsen, later added a branch at North Western and also in Prospect and practiced his profession till he removed it to Utica in May, 1884.
Mr. Snyder had a large office practice. Many of the foreign population sought him and he could gen on with them when all others failed; he was linguist, very careful and accurate in getting up documents which were models in expression, no matter in what language. He also had a good business as a family lawyer, and a commercial practice.
He disliked the jury system. In trials of cases he had to be closely watched, by an opponent, as he brought out all possible points on his side of a case. Mr. Snyder was not a man of wealth. He had the poor always with him, and attended to their wants and needs quite as faithfully as those of the rich. Before he became disabled he also conducted the Utica Law Book Exchange and did a fair business for a few years. He had the largest private law library in that city at the time and kept it up to date always.
In politics, Mr. Snyder was a Democrat casting his first vote for in 1872 for Horace Greeley, but he was very conservative and independent; never held office, though several times nominated by his party, in 1882 for Special County Judge, which he declined. In 1884 he ran on the Democratic ticket for Special Surrogate, but was defeated by a slight majority. Later he ran for Supervisor against his wish in the Eleventh ward.
From 1884 til about 1896 Mr. Snyder was a hard political worker often spoke in public in English and German. in points made his addresses were models and well received. In religion he became early by instructioin and confirmation a Lutheran and so remained, though not connected with any church. He was liberal in his belief and for many years at Remsen and Prospect he was a teacher in Union Sabbath schools and a fine blackboard artist and teacher. Of his scholars in those schools he has to his credit three eminent preachers. In Utica he attended mostly the services at the Church of the Reedember.
Mr. Snyder was a through American and believed that it was just as possible forother foreigners to be such and learn English as it was with him. He acquired the English language by his own efforts. While in Remsen he lost his German and all provincial dialect and when he came to Utica in May 1884, he found it necessary to acquire his mother tongue anew and like Carl Schurz, became a correct German speaker, a model according to the written script, free from all provincialism and dialects.
March 20, 1871, Mr. Snyder married Mary J. Jones of Remsen, from whom he was separated in November 1878. November 24,1886 he married Miss Flora R. Vogt, who survives with three sons, J. Carl, Grover C. and Leon F. Snyder, all of this city. His first born, Robert J. Snyder of Steuben, also survives with a granddaughter. He also leaves surviving him two sisters in the west, and one sister and three brothers in Germany. Mr. Snyder was an industrious worker and continued till he was fully disabled by a stroke of paralysis, suffered March 21, 1904, from which he never fully recovered although
Judy Henry

STONE, Lawrence
Death Of Lawrence Stone
     At his home on Prospect Street Monday morning after an illness of some months occurred the death of Lawrence Stone, a well known resident and a member of John R. Stewart Post, G. A. R.  Mr. Stone was born in Ireland and came to this country something like fifty years ago.  He was a shoemaker by trade and previous to coming to Oneida lived for several years at Pratts Hollow and Munnsville.  He was a member of company A, 149th N. Y. which went out from Watertown.  He leaves four children, his wife having died about two years ago.  One son lives in Rochester, two of his daughters in Auburn and the other Miss Myrtle, has lived here with him.  Funeral services were held at St. Patrick's church Wednesday morning.  Mr. Stone's was a genial disposition and he made friends wherever he went.
Submitted by Norma Coffman -

STONE, Mrs. Lawrence (Anna)
Death of Mrs. Lawrence Stone
Oneida, Aug. 29.-- Mrs. Lawrence Stone died at 9:30 o'clock last evening at her home in Prospect Street, the town of Vernon, about a mile east of this village.  She had been a great sufferer for several years from heart trouble, and for the last year her life had frequently been despaired of, and this was the ultimate cause of her death.  She was born in Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1824. Her maiden name was Anna O'Neil.  She came to this country in 1845 and in the same year was united to Lawrence Stone in Ottawa, Canada.  Mr. and Mrs. Stone have been residents of Oneida and its vicinity for the last twenty years.  Five or six years of that time they were residents of Sheryl.  Mrs. Stone is survived by her husband, one brother, Patrick O'Neill, residing in New York; one sister, Johanna O'Neill of Watertown, and four children-- Mrs. J. Albert of Auburn, Mrs. Achilli of Utica, John Stone of Rochester and Miss Martha Stone of this place.  The funeral will be held from St. Patrick's church on Friday at 10 o'clock, the Rev. J. A. Kelly officiating.  Burial will be made at St. Patrick's cemetery.
(From a family bible I determined that Anna Stone died 8/28/1894)
Submitted by Norma Coffman -

Minnie Wilkinson Stratton
Rome Sentinel-Jan. 10, 1900
At her home, 409 N. Madison Street, at 10:30 pm on Tuesday, occurred the death of Mrs. Joseph L. Stratton from dropsy.  She had been failing in health for a long time and confined to the house since last August and to her bed for four weeks.  The deceased, whose maiden name was Minnie A. Wilkinson, was born in Rome on February 7, 1865, and was a daughter of Mr. and the late Mrs. George E. Wilkinson.  She received her education in the city schools.  For the past ten years she had been a member of the Presbyterian church.  Besides her husband, whom she married December 24, 1890, she is survived by one daughter, Phoebe Elizabeth, her father and two brothers, Elmer E. and William E. Wilkinson, all of this city.
Kathy Last

Nancy Louise Crossman Stratton
Rome Sentinel-March 14, 1919
Rome - March 14 - Nancy Louise Crossman, widow of Philos Stratton, died Sunday at her home, 309 Expense Street.  She had been in poor health for a long time and had been confined to the bed for five weeks.  She was born in Glenmore July 8, 1840, a daughter of John and Martha Crossman.  When she was five years old her parents moved to Taberg and there, in 1862, she married Mr. Stratton, who died in December, 18 years ago, at Clinton, where the family moved in 1880.  She then came here to make her home with her children, who were devoted to her and did all they could to make her life pleasant and
happy.  Mrs. Stratton was a kindly woman and during her residence here made many pleasant friends and acquaintances who were saddened to learn of her passing away.  She was a member of the First ME Church and before her health failed took a deep interest in its affairs.  The following children survive: David S. and William W. Stratton of this city, with whom she made her home, Julius L. Stratton of Hamilton, and Mrs. George Adams of Clinton, and one brother and one sister, C. E. Crossman of this city and Mrs. Josephine Hess of Utica, besides three grandchildren, Mrs. George Kessler of this city and Wesley
and Donald Stratton of Hamilton.
Kathy Last

Philo Stratton
Rome Sentinel-December 3, 1900
Clinton - Dec. 3 - Philo Stratton, for many years a resident of this village, died this morning, aged 62 years.  For several years previous to the installing of the electric light plant at factory village, Mr. Stratton had charge of all the real estate of Victor, Achilles & Co. of New York, the former owners and operators of the Hamilton Knitting Mills.  The deceased leaves a widow, one daughter, Mrs. George Adams, and three sons, William, Joseph and David.
Kathy Last

Streun, John F.   d. Sept. 5, 1890
Source: Rome Sentinel Sept. 9, 1890
John Streun, an old and respected citizen of this town, who died on Friday evening at 8 o'clock, was a native of Canton Bern, Switzerland, whence he emigrated in 1850, and located in Lee Centre.  He worked at his trade, that of a cooper for about five years; then he bought a farm a few miles north of Lee Centre and has lived there ever since.  He was 62 years old and by hard work and strict attention to his business, he accummulated a good deal of property.  He was an honest and upright citizen , a kind husband and father.  He was well known throughout this section.  He was a man of good judgement and much influence.  His opinion was often sought by his aquaintances.  Politically he was always a Democrat.  In his death the town loses a very honest, industrious, and influential citizen.  He was the father of twelve children, nine of whom, besides his wife, are living as follows: Mrs. Charles Meyers, Mrs. E. Pritchard, Mrs. S. Krebs Jr., Mrs. Rudolph Jenne, John, George, Frank, Clara and Belle, all residing in or near Lee Centre.  The funeral was held yesterday at 2 p.m. in the Union Church.  The attendance was large.  Rev. Dr. Ballou of Utica officiated, assisted by H. Merrill of Canton University.  The text was: "I shall be satisfied when I awake with thy likeness".

STREUN, Rosina
Streun, Rosina     d. April 22, 1891
Source:  Rome Sentinel  April 23, 1891
Lee Centre, April 23- Mrs. Rose Streun, widow of John Streun, died at 5 p.m. yesterday of pneumonia, aged 51 years.  She was born in Switzerland and came to this country when quite young.  She leaves eight children:  Mrs. Samuel Krebs, Mrs. Ada Pritchard, Mrs. Charles Meyer, Mrs. Rudolph Jenny, John, George, Carrie and Belle, all of Lee.  The funeral will be held at the family residence on Saturday at 1 p.m.  The remains will be interred in the Lee Corners cemetery.  Rev. Daniel Ballou of Utica will officiate.

Elizabeth Rostiser Strohl
Rome Sentinel-Feb. 28, 1908
Mrs. Jacob Strohl Sr., aged 63 years, died about 2 pm on Thursday at the Rome State Custodial Asylum, after a month's illness with diabetes,  She was employed in the sewing department of the institution while her husband had charge of the boot and shoe
department.  Mrs. Strohl, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Rostiser, was born and had always resided in this city.  She was one of Rome's best known German residents and was held in high esteem by all who knew her.  She was a daughter of Fred Rostiser, who for a number of years conducted the old Whitesboro House, now used as the terminal station of the U & M V Railway.  Mrs. Strohl was a faithful member of Trinity German Lutheran Church on S. James street.  She was a kind neighbor and friend ever ready to assist any one in time of trouble and will be greatly missed by the community in which she had
lived so many years.  In 1865 she was married to Mr. Strohl who with the following children survives: Jacob Jr., and John Strohl and Mrs. Wallace Crossman of this city, Mrs. Thomas Moran of Utica and Mrs. Enouch Jones of Oneonta.  She also leaves two brothers, Fred and John Rostiser, both of this city.  There survive 11 grandchildren.  The remains of Mrs. Strohl were brought to the home of her son Jacob Stroh Jr., 316 Depeyster street where the funeral will be held.
Kathy Last

 William Swertfager, 62, formerly of Utica, died Jan. 16, 1947 in Hotel Ashley, New York City, where he made his home for about 15 years.    Mr. Swertfager was born in Utica Oct. 30, 1884, son of Louise Daprix Swertfager and the late Charles H. Swertfager. He was educated in local schools and while here was a member of the Church of the Redeemer.  An electrical contractor, he left here 35 years ago and for 20 years he resided in Salt Lake City.  He moved to New York City 15 years ago and was active in business there until his death.  Beside his mother, who lives in Brooklyn, he leaves three daughters, Marion, Betty and Ruth; one son, John, all of Salt Lake City; a brother, Walter, Scarsdale and several cousins, nephews and nieces.  The funeral will be from the Keilbach Funeral home , 321 Genesee St, at 2:30 p.m. Sunday with interment in the family plot, Forest Hill cemetery.
Carol Michaud

Mrs. Julia A. Sweet
Boonville, Oneida, NY local paper of Tuesday June 1 1897
On Tuesday June 1 1897 at the home of her daughter Mrs. A. J. Yeomans occurred the death of Mrs. Julia A. Sweet in the 93rd year of her age. Mrs. Sweet had been a sufferer for several years. Internment was held in Christ Church Cemetery, Forestport, NY on Thursday June 3, 1897. She is survived by the following children; Mrs. Jane Williams of Camden, N.Y., Mrs. Emily Drury of Herkimer, N.y., Mrs. Mary Yeomans of Forstport, N.Y.,Mrs. Frances Little of West Camden, N.Y., Horace W. Sweet of Detroit, Michigan.
Colette Grower

SWINGRUBER, Mrs. Frances
Utica Daily Press, 30 September 1940, Page 16
New Hartford, NY
Mrs. Frances Swingruber, 72, wife of Fred Swingruber died after a heart attack September 29, 1940, in her home on Woods Highway,  Town of New Hartford.  She was born in the home, daughter of John  and Mary (Hague) Wood.  She attended the Middle Settlement School and was married in January 1885.  She was a member of the New Hartford Baptist Church.  Surviving besides her husband are three daughters, Mrs. Harold Ralphs, Miami, FL; Mrs. Edwin Frey, Whitesboro,  and Mrs. Wilmer Birdseye, Clarks Green, PA; three sons, Frederick,  Los Angeles; Burton, Whitesboro, and Stuart, Westmoreland;  22 grandchildren; two great grandchildren and nieces and nephews. The funeral will be conducted from the home at 2 P.M. tomorrow with  burial in Westmoreland Cemetery.

Utica Daily Press, 1 October 1940
Mrs. Fred Swingruber, from her home Thursday afternoon, the Rev. J.D. Brehaut, Pastor of the First Baptist Church, New Hartford, officiated.  Bearers were Robert Frey, William Ralphs, Stuart Ralphs,  Chester Younghanz, Charles Thomas and Frank Feketa.  Burial in Westmoreland Cemetery.

Utica Observer Dispatch, Wednesday 7 May 1941, Page A4 and Utica Daily  Press, 7 May 1941,  Page 11
Whitesboro, NY
Fred Swingruber, 76, died May 6, 1941, in the home of his daughter,  Mrs. Edwin Frey, after about a two year illness.  Mr. Swingruber was born in Switzerland.  Fifty-five years ago he married Frances Wood, New Hartford, who died last September.  For years he worked for the New York State Railways.
He was a member of the New Hartford Baptist Church.  Surviving are three daughters, Mrs. Frey; Mrs. Harold Ralphs, New Jersey; Mrs. Wilmer Birdseye, PA; three sons, Fred in Calif,  Burton in Whitesboro, and Stuart in Westmoreland;
a sister, Mrs. Alice Walliman, Walesville; a brother, Louis in Calif; 22 grandchildren and three great grandchildren.

Susannah Lindsley Shaver
Rome Sentinel-November 5, 1890
Lee Centre, Nov. 5 - Mrs. Susannah Shaver, aged 72, wife of Jacob Shaver, died at her home near West Branch on Oct. 31, after only a few days illness with typhoid pneumonia.  She leaves a husband, one son, Henry Shaver of West Branch, and three daughters, Mrs. Daniel Williams of Utica, Mrs.Judson Daniels and Mrs. George Smith of West Branch; also three brothers, James Lindsley of West Branch, Oliver Lindsley of Montague and Jarvis Lindsley of Leyden, and four sisters, Mrs. Emily Munson of Rochester, Minnesota, Miss Melissa Hill of Houseville, Lewis County, and Mrs. Mary Shepherd of Chicago.
The deceased was a devoted wife and mother, and will be greatly missed by a large circle of friends.  It is the first time the family circle has been broken, and the friends have the sympathy of the entire community.  The funeral was held at the house on Monday at eleven o'clock, Rev. H. A. Harriss of Rome officiating, assisted by Rev. B.Jones of West Branch.
Kathy Last

George W. Smith
Rome Sentinel-June 20, 1918
Death of George W. Smith
   Lee Center - June 20 - George W. Smith, aged 67, a well known and highly respected resident of this place, died at his home here at 5 o'clock this morning following a five year period of ill health.  He was born in Trenton and was the son of the late John H. Smith and Martha Herbeck.  When he was nine years old he removed to a point between Point Rock and Taberg, where he resided until last fall, when failing health caused him to give up farm work.  In 1885 in Lee he was married to Miss Melissa Shaver, who survives.  He also leaves one sister, Mrs. Marion E. Bushnell of Lee Center and three brothers, D.
C., Frank H. and Jerome B. Smith, all of Rome.  He was a farmer by occupation and was very successful in that line of work.  He was a quiet and unassuming man and he had many friends who will regret to learn of his death.
Kathy Last

Martha Harbridge Smith
Rome Sentinel-February 22, 1895
Mrs. Martha Smith, widow of John h. Smith, and mother of Supervisor D. C. Smith, died at the Smith homestead between West Branch and Point Rock, at 12:30 am Saturday, aged 66 years, 9 months, and 12 days.  Her health had been poor for several years.  Three weeks ago she began to decline and on Sunday was taken with the grip, which caused her
death.  Mrs. Smith's maiden name was Harbridge.  She was born at Frankfort, Herkimer county, but about 30 years ago removed to the farm where she afterward resided and where her death occurred.  She was one of the oldest residents of the neighborhood where she lived and was held in high esteem by all who knew her.  Those who knew her best
will long treasure her memory.  Her husband died 21 years ago.  She leaves five sons and five daughters:  Supervisor D. C. Smith,George and Jay W. of Lee, Frank H. and Jerome of Rome, Mrs. Daniel Tulloh and Mrs. David Tulloh of Rome, Mrs. W.S.Bushnell of Ellisburg, Mrs.Frank Patrick of Ames, Iowa, and Miss Gertrude Smith of Lee; also one
brother, John Harbridge of Trenton.
Kathy Last

Dewitt Clinton Smith
Rome Sentinel-October 17, 1921
Dewitt Clinton Smith died at his home, 817 Floyd Ave, at 5:30 o'clock this morning.  He sufferd a stroke of apoplexy at his home ten days ago and had gradually failed until the end came.  he was born in the town of Trenton January 22, 1954, being in his 68th year.  he was a son of the late Mr. & Mrs. John H. Smith, and was one of a family of twelve, of whom but three survive.  When Mr. Smith was six years old the family went to the town  of Lee to live where the father was engaged in farming.  The son assisted the father, going to school winters, receiving his education in the Lee Center Union School and the Rome Free Academy.  After securing his education he taught school for some time in the town of Lee. Later he engaged in the mercantile business at Point Rock in the town of Lee, successfully conducting it for 25 years.  he served the town of Lee with credit as a member of the Board of Supervisors and in the fall of 1899 he was elected to the office of superintendent of the poor of Oneida county, assuming charge of Oneida County Home and farm on January 1, 1900.  his excellent management of affairs at the home during his first term of three years won for him a re-election and he served the second term of three
years with great credit.  At the conclusion of his six years at the County Home, Mr. Smith had the family residence at 817 Floyd Ave built and then entered into partnership with Fred Canwell in the feed business, continuing until about six years ago, when he retired.  he was married twice.  His first wife was Lillian Yarwood of West Branch, whom he married about 45 years ago.  She lived only six months, her death occuring at West Branch.  In November, 1879, he married Carrie May LeSuer, who survives with two daughters, Mrs. Jennie Craver at home, Mrs. E. G. MacFarland, Utica, two grandsons, Gene and Erwin Clinton MacFarland, Utica, two brothers, Frank H. Smith, superintendent of Rome Cemetery, and Jerome H. Smith, Lake Delta, and a sister, Mrs. Marion Bushnell, Rome.  Mr. Smith attended the Universalist Church and was a member of Baron Steuben Lodge, No. 264, F.& AM, Lee Center.  He was a sterling citizen, upright in all his dealings and loyal to his friends of whom he had a legion.
Kathy Last

Jerome B. Smith
Rome Sentinel-February 14, 1925
Jerome B. Smith, 55, pased away at 3:50 am today at his home, 304 Mayberry Road, Riverdale.  he had been out of health for several years.  Mr. Smith, a son of the late John H. and Martha Harbridge Smith, was born in the town of Lee, June 22, 1869.  At Ava on April 12, 1881 he was married to Cora M. Grant, who survives.  Twenty-four years ago the couple moved to Rome from Ava.  Mr. Smith had been supervising foreman in the city water department for the past year.  Prior to that time he had practiced his trade as a carpenter.  He was a member of Baron Steuben Lodge, No. 264, F & AM of Lee Center, of Zeba Grotto No. 4, M.O.V.P.E.R. and of the Maccabees.  He attended the First M. E. Church.  A man of a likable disposition, he was held in high esteem by many friends.  Besides his wife, two children: Ward A. Smith and George B. Smith, both of Rome, also two grandchildren, Margery G. and Betty Ann Smith, and one brother, Frank H. Smith, superintendent of the Rome Cemetery, survive.
Kathy Last

George W. Stedman
Rome Sentinel-April 18, 1891
Lee Centre:  George W. Stedman, a life-long resident, and much respected citizen of this town, died at his home near this village at 3 am to-day, with psoriasis diffusa, aged sixty-none years, eight months and twenty-six days.  The deceased was born July 23, 1922, in the town of Western, this county.  His father, Hazard Stedman, of Connecticut, and mother, Elizabeth, of the eastern part of this state, were early settlers in that locality.  He was of a family of ten children, five sons and five daughters, of whom Oliver S. of Annsville, John of Wisconsin, Henry of Minnesota, Mrs. Sarah Bliss of Salisbury, Mrs. Eliza Brown of Oneida and Mrs. James Dingman of Stokes survive.  At the age of two years, he, with his parents came to this town and here he resided until his death.  On October 19, 1852, he married Miss Lydia J. Perry of Lee who died March 10, 1871.  By
her he had seven children: Azer, who died at the age of eight months, Amelia, who was drowned July 3, 1873, aged 18 years, R. Willett and Hattie, who now resides at Lee Centre.  Mrs. Francis M. Teeple of Baltimore, Md, and Charles E. and May E. of Rome.  August 29, 1971, he married Miss Abigail Yonkers of Manheim, Fulton county, with whom he lived at his death. He had been in feeble health for about two years and was finally attacked by one of the most terrible disease that afflict the human family.  His sufferings for two months before his death were beyond description.  He had for many years been an active member of the M. E. Church.  He was a kind and indulgent parent and a good citizen.  His funeral will be held at his late residence on Tuesday, April 21, at 11 o'clock am.  Rev. J. W. Simpson of New York Mills will officiate.  The remains will be interred in the Lee Corners cemetery.
Kathy Last

R. Willett Stedman
Rome Sentinel-March 13, 1905
R. Willett Stedman, who had been ill for several months of a complication of diseases, died at his home here at 8 pm on Saturday.  He was born in the town of Lee in 1854, a son of the late George W. Stedman and he had always lived in this town.  He received his education in the Lee Center union free school and for several winters he successfully taught the district schools in this vicinity.  In 1889 he married Miss Lucy Kenyon, daughter of Hugh Kenyon of the town of Annsville, and they moved on a farm in Frenchtown, in the town of Lee, where they lived for several years.  Later he purchased the Spinning property, three miles west of Lee Center.  Mr. Stedman was formerly a Democrat, but for a number of years he had been a Republican, and was very active in that party's politics. For a number of years he was a justice of the peace, retiring about four years ago.  Mr. Stedman enjoyed the confidence and esteem of all who had the pleasure of his acquaintance, and through his own efforts he made a success in life.  He was a member of the Patrons of Husbandry and was active in church and Sunday school
work.  In the summer of 1900 he became a member of Lee Center Council, Royal Arcanum, and since then had filled the chairs of orator, chaplain, vice-regent and regent.  At the time of his death he was sitting past regent and representative to the grand council of the state of New York.  Nearly four years ago Mr. Stedman moved on to the old homestead where he was born and there is where he spent his last days.  His wife died in November, 1901, and in June 1903 he married Miss Sarah Fairchilds of Fairfield, NY who survives.  Besides his wife, Mr. Stedman is survived by one brother and three sisters, Charles E. Stedman of Rome, Mrs. Francis Teeple of Baltimore, Md, and Mrs. Hattie L. York of Lee Center.  The funeral will be held at the house at noon Wednesday and at the church at Lee Center at 1 o'clock.  Rev. Evan V. Evans will officiate.  The interment will
be made in Evergreen Cemetery.
Kathy Last

June 19, 1896  Waterville Times Obituary
On Saturday Mr. James SULLIVAN died at his home on Sanger street in this village at the age of 65 years.  The deceased came to this country from Ireland at the age of 19 and had since lived in Oneida county. He settled in Vernon and eight years later moved into the Town of Marshall, where he was engaged in farming as also later at Paris Hill and in the Town of
Sangerfield.  A few years ago he moved to this village.  About three years ago he suffered a sun stroke since which time he has been in feeble health.  He led a busy, active life and was highly respected as an upright, honest man.  He is survived by two brothers, Jerry of Valley Mills and Dennis of Vernon; one sister, Mrs. John P. KIMBALL of Deansboro; three daughters,
Mrs. Eugene FOLEY of Lestershire and Libbie and Mattie of this village;  and four sons, William H., John J., James and Richard SULLIVAN of Waterville.  The funeral was largely attended from St.Bernard's Church on Tuesday.
Dan Sullivan