Unsorted Obituaries

Alfred Howland-
  Alfred J Howland, 72 1232 Hilton, died May 22, 1952, in a local nursing home after a yearís illness.     Born in Buffalo May 11, 1880, he was a son of the late Wallace and Mary Jane Gough Howland.  As a boy he moved to Camden and there attended the Union School.  He was employed by the Finch Chair Factory there for a time before moving to New York Mills, where he worked in the Walcott and Campbell Mills.  He married Alice Davis in Whitesboro Baptist Church on July 4, 1902.  She died in 1940.     Mr. Howland then move to Clark Mills where he worked for the Hind and Harrison Plush Company for a number of years.  He came to Utica in 1943 and last was employed by the Scala Packing Company.     He Leave a son, Leroy Howland, Utica; a daughter Mrs. Thomas Wetherell, Westmoreland; a brother Elmer Howland, Camden; a half-sister Mabel Howland, Perry, Ny nine grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.     The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Monday from the Chapel of the John S. Friedel Funeral Home, 1123 Court St., Rev. Walter S. MacPherson Of the Nazarene, Utica, Officiating.  Burail will be in Westmoreland Cemetery.
Dan DeSalis

Mrs. Leroy Howland-
   Mrs. Betty Mae (Elizabeth) Howland, 1232 Hilton, died Oct. 20, 1952 in a local Hospital after an illness of six months.     Born in Frankfort Center, Oct 2, 1905, she was the daughter of George E. and Elizabeth Farthing Rice.  The family moved to Utica, where Mrs. Howland attended Bleecker St School.  She was employed at the New York Telephone CO. until her marriage Apr. 17, 1928 to Leroy Howland.  Mrs. Howland was a member of the church of the Nazarene.     She leaves her husband, two daughters, Mrs. Anthony Spinella, New Hartford, Miss Doreen Howland, Utica; two sons, Pvt. 1/c Leroy Howland, now stationed in Japan, and Richard Howland, Utica; four brothers, James Howland Rice, Edward Rice, both of Utica, Morley, Yorkville, and George E Rice , Elmira, also several nieces and nephews.     The funeral will be held at 2 pm. Wednesday from the chapel of the John S Friedel Home 1123 Court, with the Rev Walter MacPherson officiating. Burial will be in Westmoreland Cemetery.
Dan DeSalis

Robert Davies Phillips
St. Paul Dispatch, St. Paul, MN - 17 October 1910
Burial Will Be In Roselawn Cemetery
   The funeral of Rev. Robert D. Phillips, a pioneer Methodist minister who died last night at his home, 991 Laurel Avenue, will be held tomorrow afternoon at 1:30 at the First Methodist church.  Rev. A. C. Stevens, pastor of the church, and Rev. Benjamin Longley, the district superintendent, will officiate at the services and Methodist ministers of the city will act as pall-bearers.  Mr. Phillips was 71 years old.  Until within a short time he had served as pastor of the Methodist church at Hastings, Minn.  He was chaplain of the state house of representatives during the session of 1906.  He is survived by his widow and five sons.

Robert Davies Phillips
Hastings Gazette, Hastings, Dakota, MN - 22 Oct 1910
   The Rev. R. D. Phillips, late pastor of the Methodist Church in this city died at St. Paul Sunday night, after a protracted illness.  He was born in Waterville, N. Y., Dec. 19th, 1838, graduated from Whitestown Seminary in 1860, and was married to Miss Jennie A. Boyd, of Utica.  In 1864 he joined the Black River conference, was transferred to Minnesota in 1891, and was chaplain of the house in 1906.  Mr. Phillips had been a resident of Hastings the past three years, and very highly esteemed in the community.  he leaves a wife, five sons, and a daughter, Clarence W., Fred B., Austin D., Wesley, and Miss Hattie J. Phillips, of St. Paul, and Charles H., of  Minneapolis.  The funeral was held from the First Methodist Church in St. Paul Tuesday, at half past one p. m.  Interment at Roselawn Cemetery.

Robert Davies Phillips
Unknown Newpaper, undated
In Memorium.    Every life writes its own record in the lives of others.  Its truest epitaph is the influence that it has had upon other lives.  Memory keeps that influence burning, It immortalizes its power, and makes good lives a never-ceasing blessing.  Such feelings force themselves upon one repeatedly, and particularly after a good life finishes its mortality.   The death of Rev. R. D. Phillips, former pastor of the Methodist Church of this place, which occurred last Sunday evening has caused the hearts of the people here to breathe such sentiments as these.  His four years of earnest work here has left no uncertain evidences of its genuineness.  The
forces for good that he set in motion are still moving with their original effectiveness, and the memory of his charactor [sic] and integrity will keep them moving.
   Rev. Phillips was an old soldier, having served in the Civil War.  His Christian services was characterized with a soldierly spirit.  He never flinched in the face of hard tasks.  He never left a work unfinished that he once set his heart to do.  His manly courage and his extraordinary determination of spirit disassociated any thought of failure with any work that he undertook.   The excellent Methodist Church of his place, costing as it did over thirty-seven hundred dollars, and built at a time when adverse circumstances were colossal in their strength, is a splendid monument of a hard job finished.  The lives that he has influenced to a marked extent for good are living monuments of his fervent christian character, and christian work.   May his memory be kept fresh that his life may continue to bless all
who knew him.
(Robert Davies Phillips was the son of William E. and Margaret (Davies) Phillips, emigrants from Wales, born 19 Dec 1838 in Waterville, Oneida.)

Jane Ann [Jennie] (Boyd) Phillips
Unknown paper, St. Paul, Ramsey, MN - 9 May 1917
     Mrs. Jennie A. Phillips, 76 years old, the widow of Rev. Robert P.Phillips, a Methodist minister, died at 2 A. M. today at her home, 1686
Capitol avenue, following a paralytic stroke suffered two weeks ago.    Her husband was chaplain of the House during the 1907 session.  He died in 1910.  Mrs. Phillips had lived in Minnesota twenty-seven years.   Surviving are a daughter, Miss Hattie J. Phillips, teacher in the  St. Paul public schools, and five sons, Arthur D., Fred D., Wesley, Clarence W., and Charles H.  All except Charles H. Phillips, who is of Minneapolis, live in St. Paul.   The funeral will be at 2 P. M. Friday from the residence.  Burial will be at Roselawn cemetery.
 (Jane Ann was the daughter of Chauncey and Catherine (Van De Walker) Boyd, born 21 Aug 1840 in Western Township, Oneida.)

Robert Willis Davies
Unknown paper or date
   Robert Willis Phillips, was killed near De Sota, Mo. Saturday night, June 4, 1887, age 23 years 5 months.  The startling intelligence of the death of Willis, away from home in the employ of the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company, saddened the hearts and home of his parents near New Albany, Pennsylvania.
   Born in Steuben, Oneida County, New York January 4, 1864.  In 1881 he was a student at Lima Seminary.  His studious habits and always honorable conduct
gained him the affection and esteem of fellow pupils, teachers and people.  Dr. Bridgman said in a letter to his parents "Willis had experienced religion and was very faithful and active in Christian work.  If you have any more such promising young men send them to Lima."   Soon after leaving Seminary he engaged in the mercantile business in Geneva, New York.  He was united in marriage with Miss Ella Sayre, Watkins, New York October 7?, 1884.  In April 1885 he sold out to Scott and Mead and went west and has been with the Missouri Pacific RR Co. till the time of his death.  He was buried at De Sota, MO, June 6, 1887.  Memorial Services were held at New Albany, June 9.  Twelve young ladies and twelve young men acted as clergymen.  Four clergymen took part in the solemn services.
  Rev. O. W. [N?] Hinman,  Rev. O. D. Davis,  Rev. Mr. Pitman, M. P. preacher,  Rev. Mr. Phillips, a Baptist clergyman also spoke.

 (Robert Willis Phillips was the son of Robert Davies and Jane Ann [Jennie] (Boyd) Phillips.)

Gilbert Haven Phillips
Unknown paper or date
 From Shadow into Sunshine
   Thus passed away on Sabbath afternoon, December 27, 1885, a beautiful little boy, the youngest son of Rev. R. D. and Jennie A. Phillips, of Branchport, N. Y.  Gilbert Haven Phillips was born in Benton Center, N. Y., September 10, 1879.  His severe illness was of short duration, only seven days.  His disease, "acute meningitis," was doubtless caused from a  fall which he had received one week before his death.  While then at play  with his little friends, what ecstasies gleamed from his little face and sparkled in his little eyes.  He was indeed the idol of the family.  A great favorite with the older people as well as with his associates in years.  Many tears have fallen in this community at the loss sustained by them and the family's sorrow.  He bore the name of one of the most honored bishops of the
Methodist church, whose name will be held in precious memory for all future time.  The many friends of Mr. and Mrs. Phillips sincerely sympathise with
them in their sad bereavement.  There is great comfort in the words of Jesus  "That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven."
  "Our buried friends can we forget,    Although they've passed death's gloomy river?  They live within our memory yet,    And in our love must live forever.
  To join the ransomed hosts in heaven,    Our hearts will love them more and more,  'Till earthly chains at last be riven."
(This child was a son of Robert and Jennie (Boyd) Phillips also, though notborn in Oneida County.)

Rome Sentinel  Died Jan. 19, 1939
Will G. Martin, 69, Dies Following 10-Year Illness
Will G. Martin died at his home, Broadway St., off upper Floyd Ave., Rome, NY, shortly before noon today following an illness of about 10 years.
He was born in Western March 12, 1869, a son of the late Theodore M. and Katherine Lusher Martin. On Nov. 19, 1902, he married Bertha L. Austin in Western and he and his family moved to Rome in October, 1922.
He was employed by the former Rome Wire Company and in 1930 retired because of poor health. He was of the Presbyterian faith.
Surviving are his widow, two sons, Bertis L. and Carleton F. Martin, both at home; two daughters, Mrs. Gilbert J. Nessel, Rome, and Mrs. Harold L. Miller, Oneida; two grandchildren, Beverly and Phyllis Nessel; one brother, John P. Martin, and several nieces and nephews.
Submitted by: Joyce O'Connell, his granddaughter   EOMO@aol.com
my Web Site at:

MARTIN, Ellery U.
Rome Daily Sentinel   Died Feb. 2, 1973
Ellery Uri Martin, 84, of 208 E. Linden St., died Friday evening, Feb. 2, 1973 in the Rome Hospital.
He had been a merchant in Rome before his retirement in 1949.  Mr. Martin was born Dec. 1, 1888 in the Town of Floyd, son of John Peter and Carrie Smith Martin. He had lived in Rome for 75 years, and on Sept. 7, 1925, he married the former Nellie M. Ade.  She died April 24, 1951.
Mr. Martin was of the Presbyterian faith and had served in the Army during World War I, receiving the Purple Heart.
Surviving are a daughter, Miss Barbara J. Martin, Rome; a son, Richard D. Martin, Rome; two sisters, Mrs. Leon (Harriet) Ryker, Buffalo, and Mrs. Jesse (Eva) Mosher, Rome; two brothers, Leslie W. Martin of Verona, and Theodore M. Martin, Rome, and one granddaughter, Kimberly Ann Martin, Rome. Another brother, Clayton J. Martin, died in 1972.
Funeral services will be held at the Griffin & Aldridge Funeral Home Monday at 11 with the Rev. Chester Lippy, pastor of the Westernville Presbyterian Church, officiating. Interment will be in Westernville Cemetery.
Submitted by:   Joyce O'Connell    EOMO@aol.com
Web Site at:  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~martinandmeyers/

MARTIN, Bertha L. (Austin)
Rome Daily Sentinel   Died May 13, 1973
Mrs. Will G. Martin, 88, of 6017 Old Rome-Oneida Road, died Sunday, May 13, 1973, after a long illness.  She had been hospitalized for 10 days.
The former Bertha L. Austin, she was born Oct. 7, 1884, in the Town of Western, daughter of Henry and Clarissa Teller Austin.
She was educated in the Town of Western schools and lived in Rome since 1922. She was an interior decorator.
On Nov. 19, 1902, she was married at her parentsâ€ô home. Mr. Martin died Jan. 19, 1939.
Mrs. Martin was a member of Calvary United Methodist Church and of the United Methodist Women.
Survivors are two daughters, Mrs. Pillmore (Edna) Prosser with whom she made her home, and Mrs. Harold (Katherine) Miller of Oneida; a son, Carleton F. Martin of Rome; five grandchildren, Mrs. William (Beverly) Au of Rochester, Mrs. Paul (Phyllis) Holeck of Verona, Mrs. Lawrence (Carlene) Dunn of Atlanta, GA, Miss Mary Martin and Miss Joyce Martin of Rome; and seven great-grandchildren.  Another son, Bertis Martin, died Nov. 5, 1959.
Funeral services will be at 1 PM Wednesday at the Prince and Boyd Home for Funerals with the Rev. Lloyd C. Tanner, pastor of Calvary United Methodist Church, officiating.  Burial will be in Westernville Cemetery.
Submitted by Joyce O'Connell, granddaughter of Bertha Martin   EOMO@aol.com
my Web Site at:  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~martinandmeyers/

MARTIN,  Barbara J.
Rome Daily Sentinel    Died September 11, 1984
Miss Barbara J. Martin, 208 E. Linden St., died September 11, 1984 in the Rome Hospital, after a short illness. She was born in Rome, NY, February 13, 1932, the daughter of Ellery J. and Nellie V. Ade Martin.  She had resided in Rome her entire life and was employed as a Secretary for the Rome Fish Hatchery and was formerly a Rome City Court Clerk.  She was educated in the Rome schools.  Miss Martin is of the Protestant faith.She is survived by one brother, Richard D. Martin of Rome; and two nieces.  Burial will be in Westernville Cemetery.  Funeral services will be held from the Funeral Home of Griffin and Aldridge on Friday, September 14, 1984 at 10:30 AM.
Memorials may be made to the Westernville Cemetery Association.
Submitted by    Joyce O'Connell    EOMO@aol.com

Martin, Rosanna (Myers)
Rome Daily Sentinel, Rome, NY   Died May 30, 2005
At the age of 87, Rosanna Myers Martin passed away on Monday, May 30, 2005 at her home at 4711 Belfast Drive, New Port Richey, Florida.  She was born June 27, 1917 in Rome, NY,  the daughter of Peter J. and Mary Ida Bael Myers. Rosanna attended the Academy of Holy Names and graduated as the Salutatorian of the Class of 1935.
On May 7, 1945,  V-E Day, she married the late Carleton F. Martin in St. Peter's Catholic Church, Rome, NY.  Mr. Martin died February 11, 1996.  Rosanna met Carleton Martin while working as a bookkeeper for her father at Myers Brothers' Lumber Yard in Rome, NY.  Later she and Carleton built and operated the Camroden Heights Golf and Country Club on the Floyd-Westernville Road.
 Together they raised three surviving daughters: Carlene Dunn, married to Larry Dunn and currently residing in Flowery Branch, Georgia;  Mary Stagliano, currently residing in Scotia, NY; and Joyce O'Connell, married to Kevin O'Connell and currently residing in Fishkill, NY.
Rosanna is survived by a sister, Catherine Myers Freson, currently residing in North Bay, NY.  She is also survived by eight grandchildren and 4 great-grandchildren: Stephanie (Jenkins) Ralston, married to John Ralston and residing in Louisville, Kentucky with children, Ethan and Bailey Ralston;  Jason Dunn, married to Leslie Ann Lunsford and residing in Roswell, Georgia with their children, Charles and Madeline Dunn;  Jessica (Dunn) Nelson, married to Keith Nelson and residing in Sugar Land, Texas; Bethany Stagliano residing in New Rochelle, NY while attending John Jay College in NYC;  Mark Stagliano residing in Scotia, NY;  Eric O'Connell, Michael O'Connell and Kelly O'Connell all residing in Fishkill, NY when not attending college.
    In Rome, NY, Rosanna was a member of St. Paul's Catholic Church.  She was an upstanding community member as the second generation of the Myers family born in New York.  She belonged to the Regina Sorority and was an avid golfer.
Rosanna and Carleton had resided in Florida since 1983.  In New Port Richey, Florida, Rosanna was a member of Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church.  She participated in its Rosary Altar Society, its Prayer Group, and as a Lector and Ecumenical Minister.
    A Mass of Christian Burial was held  June 1st, at Our Lady Queen of Peace, New Port Richey, Florida.  A Memorial Mass was held June 4th, at St. Paulâ€ôs Catholic Church in Rome, NY officiated by Father Kelly.  Interment June 4th in Westernville Cemetery next to her husband, Carleton F. Martin.
Contributions were accepted in Rosanna's memory to the Rosary Altar Society of Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church, 5340 High Street, New Port Richey, Florida 34652.
Submitted by daughter,   Joyce O'Connell    EOMO@aol.com
Web Site at:  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~martinandmeyers/

Rome Sentinel
Durhamville, July 26, 1895 -- Mrs. Sophie Felts died of diabetes at her home here yesterday, aged 63 years.  She was born in Germany and had resided in Durhamville for thirty-eight years.  Her aged father, Peter Durrenbeck of Durhamville survives her.  There are also six surviving children, Mrs Kate Bernet, Mrs Nettie Burback and Albert Felts of Durhamville, and Mrs. Herman Phillip and Frank and Lewis Felts of Oneida.  The funeral will be held from the Catholic Church at Durhamville on Sunday afternoon.
Merry Gantley mgantley@twcny.rr.com

Joseph Palmer
At New Hope, Cayuga County, NY Joseph Palmer,
formerly of Boonville, dies in the 79th year of his age.
This aged father in Israel was born near Petersborough, NH [other records say MA] September 7, 1806.  He spent his childhood years in New Hampshire and afterward, having been diligent in business and having won the reputation of being a self-made man and conscientious in all his dealings, went to Fulton Co., NY where he was married to Miss Betsey Blood, a member of a prominent family of Fulton.
Mr. Palmer, now 21 years of age began to more particularly make his mark as an honest upright citizen.  The fruits of his marriage to Miss Blood were 9 children, 6 of whom are still living. Benjamin, Mary, Elizabeth and James are now dead, the 2 former having died in childbirth.  James, a volunteer in the late war, was killed in the army while bravely fighting in his country's defense [at Gettysburg, PA].
The children now living are Achsah J., wife of James Avery, of New Hope; William H. of Rome, NY; Martha A., widow of the late John Cole of Northville, Fulton Co.; Eliza M., wife of John Avery of Rockland, MA; Betsey M., wife of Stephen Cleveland of Ilion, NY; Henry V. of Mansfield, PA.
At a later day, Mr. Palmer located at Boonville, Oneida Co., NY where Mrs. Palmer died in her 62nd year of her age.  She was well known as an efficient laborer in the cause of her Heavenly Master as was her husband, who never lost sight of the crown which had so many years been in waiting for him.  A few years after the death of his sainted wife he moved to Cayuga Co., NY and became a member of the family of James Avery, his son-in-law where he remained until his death.
Sorely afflicted in body as a result of old age, his faith was sufficient to bear him up amid all his infirmities.  Consciousness of duty was a lesson and a study which as a father he had ever tried to impress upon his children's minds.  His efforts were rewarded by the faithful attention bestowed upon him by Mr. Avery's people at the closing scenes of his life.  His death was not the result of any particular disease but a continued season of infirmities.  Justice to his family, his neighbors and his God were his full aims and objects in life.  The funeral services were observed April 17, at New Hope, Rev. O. R. Howe of the M. E. church officiating.  The remains were interred in the New Hope Cemetery.
from Boonville Herald 4/30/1885
Susan Ward Merk

(from Boonville Herald 6/27/1907)
Former Resident of Boonville Answers Last Roll Call
Mr. John Avery was a Prominent +G.A.R. Veteran
Some of His Experiences in Andersonville Prison - An Active Citizen of Boonville for Some Years
After an illness of several weeks, John Avery one of the best known G.A.R. men in Rockland, MA and an ex-prisoner of war died at his home on Exchange Street last Tuesday afternoon, aged 74.  He was one of the oldest veterans of the Civil War in Rockland, MA.  Mr. Avery was a native of Leyden, NY and was born 10/22/1833.  He was educated in the public schools and afterwards learned the carpenter's trade.
When the Civil War broke out, he enlisted in the 146th NY regiment and went at once to the front leaving his wife and one child behind him.  He was in the service 4 years and served in the Army of the Potomac.  He was in many battles and saw hard service.  He was taken as prisoner at the battle of Gaines Mill [Bethesda Church-6/2/1864]  just as he was leaving the field with a wounded comrade on his back.  He was marched to Richmond and confined in Castle thunder and Libby prisons for a few days then was taken to Andersonville, GA for confinement in the rebel stockade.
When he entered Andersonville 6/16/1864 there were over 35,000 prisoners there.  During the journey from Libby to Andersonville, the prisoners were subjected to many indignities especially from the women who spat at them as they passed through the streets of Richmond.  Mr. Avery remained in Andersonville until the close of the war when he was taken to Vicksburg and sent north.  At the time of his entrance at Andersonville he weighed 180 pounds and when he was released after his incarceration of twelve months he weighed only 91 pounds.  Mr. Avery was in Andersonville when the raiders were hanged there and one of them was in his regiment.
While at Andersonville, Mr. Avery was part of the time in charge of a squad of prisoners and for this duty he was awarded an extra ration.  From this fact arises an incident which changed the whole course of his life.  Among the prisoners in Andersonville at this time was Darius Everson of East Abington (now Rockland, MA).  Mr. Everson was a young boy and was in poor health.  He occupied a dugout near Mr. Avery's tent and was unable to take care of himself.  Mr. Avery gave the lad the extra ration which he had drawn for himself.  The boy was thus able to keep alive and subsequently got out of prison by answering the name of a prisoner who had been marked for exchange but who had died the night before he was to leave.
As soon as Mr. Everson got back to East Abington, he wrote to Mrs. Avery who was then residing in Boonville, NY and told her where her husband was.   As soon as Mr. Avery got back north the correspondence was kept up, and the 2 ex-prisoners visited each other.  Later Mr. Avery moved to Rockland and has resided here since 1880.  Since that time there have been 3 marriages between the members of the Avery and Everson families.
Mr. Avery married Eliza Palmer of Northville who survives. They were married 3/30/1855 at Boonville, NY and they celebrated their golden wedding in this town 2 years ago.  Five children were born to them and three are now living: Mrs. Nettie L. wife of Elbridge Everson; Mrs. Florence B. wife of Ellis Poole and Mrs. Emma E. wife of Chester Valedge.
The funeral services will take place tomorrow afternoon.  Prayer will be offered at his home on Exchange Street at 1:30 and services will follow at Grand Army Hall and will be conducted by Rev. William Reid.  The members of the G.A.R. will have charge of the services.  Internment will be in Mount Pleasant Cemetery.+G.A.R. = Grand Army of the Republic
Susan Ward Merk

Mrs. Abigail Avery Birdsey Passes Away at the Advanced Age of 93 Years
Following a long and useful life, Mrs. Abigail Avery Birdsey, widow of the late Linus Birdsey, passed away at the home of her son George Birdsey Thursday July 18, 1918 at the advanced age of ninety-three years.  Mrs. Birdsey enjoyed unusually good health up until about three months ago when the infirmities of old age hastened upon her.  She retained her faculties until the hour of her death and her usual strength of character and cheerfulness enriched her life and won for her many friends which held her in high esteem.
Mrs. Birdsey was born in 1825 in Petersboro, NH.  When but a mere girl her parents moved into the wilderness of northern NY locating near Pasadena.  The many weary miles of the journey were made in an old-fashioned wagon of the prairie schooner type and the few neighbors of the district assisted Mr. Jonathan Avery in erecting his new home.  The house was scarcely completed when another claimed title to the land and sympathetic friends again assisted John Avery in razing and reconstructing the home upon another site in Leyden.
The passing of Mrs. Birdsey removes from our midst one of the early pioneer families which settled in this district.  Mrs. Birdsey was well informed and up to within a year or so ago, in spite of her many years, enjoyed excellent health.  She was young in spirit and active in household work.  In conversation, she was unusually interesting and told many stories of long ago, speaking intimately of the primitive mode of living in the days when Boonville was merely a clearing in the Adirondack forest, which even covered the now open country as far as and beyond West Leyden.
She would tell of the time when a huge kettle hung over the fireplace wherein wholesome meals were prepared, a fireplace of such dimensions as would light up the entire kitchen and living room, radiating warmth and cheer.  She was familiar with the early methods of making tallow candles, even before the days of candle molds and was experienced in the primitive methods of baking when modern ovens yet remained to be invented and when the baking pan was covered with live coals which remained from the logs that crackled in the fireplace.  She not only made her own soap and woven rugs and carpets but worked up homespun from crude flax and wool into finished garments and household necessities.
The deceased throughout her entire life was a sincere and consistent Christian.  She was a faithful attendant of the old Baptist church which stood at the forks of the east and west roads and continued faithful to her church duties up until the time of her last illness.  As she felt the drowsiness of the last deep sleep gradually creeping upon her, she had the satisfying consciousness that her life had been spent in usefulness and service.
The deceased is survived by a son, George Birdsey, a step daughter Mrs. Alma Bacon, a stepson Alson Birdsey, one brother G .S. Avery of Holyoke, MA, two sisters, Mrs. Owen Heald, of Rockland, MA and Mrs. E. G. Palmer of Boonville.  The funeral was held Sunday afternoon at 4 pm from her late home on West Street.  Rev. E. J. Davis officiating.  Interment was made in the Boonville Cemetery.
Susan Ward Merk

WILLIAM WARD (1858-1900 ) Aug. 12, 1900. After years of pain and suffering William Ward passed away Friday at his home on West Street.  His death was caused by diseased liver and kidneys and he has been unable to perform any work for some time.  He was a man of good character and a good citizen.  For years he worked at the mason's trade and was skillful and industrious.  His age was 45 [actually 42] and most of his life was spent in Boonville.  Besides his mother he is survived by three brothers, Charles and Clarence Ward, who reside here and Edward Ward of Washington.  The funeral was held Monday, Rev. A. W. Cady officiating.  The bearers were Charles and Clarence Ward; Ernest, Elwin and Frank Palmer and George L. Birdsey.
Susan Ward Merk

Adam Wiegand
Early yesterday morning at his home in Deerfield occurred the death of Adam Wiegand, aged 67 years. He suffered from pneumonia. Mr. Wiegand was a farmer and highly respected in the community in which he lived. He was a member of St. Peter's Church, being one of its organizers. Besides his wife he leaves three children, Jacob and Julius Wiegand and Mrs. Joseph Nunn, of Deerfield; tow brothers John A. and Julius Wiegand, and one sister, Mrs. John Vogler, of Utica. The funeral will occur Wednesday at 10 AM.
From Utica Dailey Press 22Feb1892
Buried St. Peter's Cemetery, Utica, Oneida, New York
BetteJo Hall Caldwell

The New Era (Humeston, Ohio)  3 Dec 1885
Mrs. A. Humeston, Sr.
Mrs. Mary Humeston, wife of A. Humeston, Sr., of affection of the heart, at Fairfield, Iowa, November 22, 1885, aged 66 years.
Mary Northrop was born in Clinton, Oneida county, New York, July 22, 1819, was married September 23, 1840, to A. Humeston, Sr., with whom she moved to Ohio the same year, and then to Iowa in the spring of 1864, which State became her home until her decease.
She leaves, to mourn the loss of a truly devoted wife and mother, a husband, four sons and one daughter; two daughters having preceded her to the Spirit world.
Were the family not comforted with the reward-surely hers,-of a deeply earnest, conscientious, and consistent Christian life, their grief would be greatly intensified; for whose mother more unselfish, what parent more attentive to the wants of her children, what husband ever mourned a more faithful companion.
If life ended in death and there were no eternal life beyond, how could she be spared. Mother Humestonís religious life commenced at an early age in the Presbyterian Church. Coming to Ohio in her mature years, the clear and forcible presentation of the Gospel, by the Pioneers in the reformation of the Disciples met with her hearty acceptance, and from that time none were more steadfast and uncompromising, none more devoted to the restoration of Primitive Christianity than she. Sustaining and comforting her in all her earthly labors was a faith in Goodís word and Promises, rarely equaled. No cloud so dark ever enveloped her earth life but what the Sun of Righteousness pierced its density and revealed to her undimmed eye of faith the final triumph of Godís people, and the reward of Hisí Saints. Though advanced in years, up to the time of her death she was identified with and participated in the many movements for the benefit of humanity in the community in which she lived. In her the Womansí Christian Temperance Union found an earnest and faithful attendant. The prayer and social meetings of the Church, had no more constant and prayerful member. Mother Humeston having but one daughter living, Mrs. R. A. Harkness, of Fairfield, Iowa, determined to pas the winter with her. She and father Humeston bade their many Humeston friends what they supposed to be a brief farewell, intending to return in the spring. They had been in Fairfield less than four weeks, when on her way home from Church her summons came, but it had been one of her cherished maxims to be ever ready knowing not at what hour she might be called. Her remains were brought for burial to her home in Humeston, and followed to their last resting place by her relatives, and a large concourse of sympathizing people. May we all be as well prepared to go as she was. S. P. Newcomb.

At a meeting of the Womanís Christian Temperance Union, the following resolutions of respect were adopted:
Whereas it has seemed good to our Divine Father to remove from our midst Mrs. Mary Humeston, who was for many years an estimable member of this community interested in, and contributing to its social, moral and religious welfare, and
Whereas, She has long been an earnest faithful worker in the Temperance cause, giving of her means to its support and with true womanly modesty raising her voice in its behalf, and having been identified with the Womans Christian Temperance Union ever since its organization in Humeston she being one of its best members, thereby be it
Resolved, that we will gratefully cherish her memory as that of one who has ever exercised a beneficial influence in our community, and who has, by her womanly graces, social qualities and Christian character, not only won the esteem and confidence of all who knew her but endeared herself to their hearts as well.
Resolved That we as members of the Womans Christian Temperance Union recognize in her death our loss both as individuals and as a society and are pained as we anticipate that her voice will no longer be heard at our meetings, either in council or in prayer.
Resolved, that we offer to the bereaved husband, children and relatives, our heartfelt sympathy, with the assurance that we mourn with them the loss of a sister beloved, but are consoled with the thought that she has gone to her reward. She rests from her labors and her works do follow her.
Resolved, that these resolutions be spread on the minutes of the lodge; also, sent the New Era for publication, and a copy of each be sent to the sorrowing family.
Mrs. Geo. McCulloch, Miss Lizzie McCart, Mrs. O. B. Sutton, Committee.
John Hutchins

Utica Daily Press, 9/13/1943
John Elbert Harder, 80, died September 12, 1943, in the home of his daughter, Mrs. Helen Meldaine Graziadei, 1670 Wesley, after a short illness.
He was born in Chicago, July 3, 1863, a son of the late Sanford and Meldaine Lydie Harder. After spending his boyhood in Bath, NY, he came to Utica at the age of 18. He married Miss Agnes Donovan here 46 years ago.
Mr. Harder was a stationary engineer, and was employed for 18 years at the old Bagg's hotel;for 20 years in the Oneida Brewing Co., and more recently in the Oneita Knitting Co. He belonged to St. Patrick's Church.
His survivors are Mrs. Harder;his daughter, Mrs. Graziadei;three sons,Francis C., Daniel and Pvt Paul Raymond Harder, and 11 grandchildren.

Utica Daily Press, Dec 7, 1946, pg 9
Albert D. Harder, 1301 Oswego, died Dec. 6, 1946, his 46th birthday, in a local hospital, following a long illness.
He was born in Utica, Dec 6, 1900, a son of Mrs. Agnes Donovan and the late Albert Harder. He married Miss Irene
Murphy July 24, 1935, in St. Patrick's Church, to which he belonged. He was a machine fixer with the Oneita Knitting Mills.
Mr. Harder leaves his widow, his mother, a daughter, Marie Dolores; five sons, Joseph, Vincent, John, James and Daniel; a sister, Mrs. George Graziadei, and two brothers, Raymond and Frank Harder, all of Utica.
The funeral will be from the Quinn and Ryan Funeral Chapel, 800 John, Monday, and from Sacred Heart Church. Interment will be in St. Agnes Cemetery.

unknown newspaper, West Winfield by-line
West Winfield- John F. Murphy, 94, West Winfield's oldest resident, died July 11, 1946, after several months of declining health.
Born in Ballicore County Wexford, Ireland, June 29, 1952, a son of John and Mary Murphy. He came to this country when he was 21.Always had lived in this vicinity.
He lost his eyesight by accident 56 years ago. Remained active until 1945. He maintained and did other household work until his health failed a brief time ago.
In 1879, he married Ann Orr. She died Nov 28, 1931. He was a member of St. Joseph's Church here and its Holy Name Society.
He leaves three sons, John, Utica; Joseph and Benedict, West Winfield; eight grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren.
The funeral will be from his home at 9 a.m. Monday and from St. Joseph's Church at 9:30. The Rev. Frank P. Anthus will officiate. Burial St. Joseph's Cemetery.

West Winfield NY
Mrs. John Murphy
Mrs. Anne Orr Murphy, aged 74 years, wife of John Murphy, died at her home on East Street in this village, Saturday, November 28, 1931, after a prolonged illness due to a complication of diseases.
Mrs. Murphy was born in Richfield Springs, August 17, 1857, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Orr. She received her education in the West Winfield Academy, and became the wife of John Murphy in 1877. She was of a quiet disposition, never mingling to any extent in the social activities of the village, preferring her home and family, also her church, rather than these things. She was a kind hearted woman and enjoyed the love and respect of many friends. She was a member of St.
Joseph's Church.
Surviving, besides her husband, are three sons, John of Utica, Joseph and Benedict of this village, also two brothers, Frank and Edward Orr of Ilion, and several grandchildren.
The funeral was held from her late home Tuesday morning at 9:30 and from St. Joseph's Church at 10:00 o'clock, a High Mass of Requiem being celebrated by the Rev. Raymond J. Doran, assisted by the Rev. F.J. Lagoe and Rev. John Murray, St. Patrick's Church, Utica, N.Y. Interment is St. Joseph's Cemetery.

Card of Thanks
We wish at this time to extend our sincere thanks to our neighbors and friends for their many acts of kindness at the time of the death and burial of our loved one.
John Murphy and Family.

THE POST STANDARD - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Monday - September 8, 1952
Kin of Syracusan Dies in Rome, N.Y.
Earl J. Gifford, 46, of Hyland's Mills, a building contractor and brother of Charles H. Gifford of Syracuse, died in Rose Hospital, Rome, yesterday following a week's illness.  Mr. Gifford, a native of Rome, was a carpenter before going into the contracting business.  He was the first building inspector for Rome and helped organize the department of buildings.  Besides his brother he is survived by his wife, Mrs. Stella Roe Gifford; two daughters, Mrs. Joyce Dondero and Mrs. Clair Skdhak of Rome; three brothers, Perry A. of Rome, C. Morris of Weedsport, and William J. of Lake Delta; three sisters, Mrs. Sarah Fike of Rome, Mrs. John E. Waller, Sr. of Elmer Hill, and Mrs. Kenneth Longway of Smith's Hill; two grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews.  Services will be held at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Waldo Wiggins Prince Funeral Home and 2 p.m. in St. John's Church, Rome.  Burial will be in Rome Cemetery.

THE POST STANDARD - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Tuesday - March 11, 1947 - page 15
IRA T. LOVELAND, 78, of 1419 South Salina st., died Sunday at his home following a long illness.  The funeral will be held at Elmer A. Price funeral home at 11 a.m. tomorrow with Rev. H. H. Downey officiating.  Burial will be in Taberg cemetery.   A native of Palatine Bridge, he was graduated from Cazenovia seminary and for some time was associated with his father in the canning business.  A member of Cazenovia Methodist church, he also belonged to Cazenovia Masonic lodge.
He is survived by one brother, Philander J. Loveland, a patient in University hospital, Minneapolis, Minn.; three sisters, Mrs. Willis R. Ridgeway, Watermill, L.I., Mrs. Frank W. Carl of Rockford, Ill, and Miss Avis C. Loveland of Syracuse.

THE POST STANDARD - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Saturday - December 10, 1904 - page 16
CAMDEN, Dec. 9
The death of John Gamble occured at his home in West Camden Wednesday, Mr. Gambel was one of the pioneer settlers in this section, over seventy years ago. He had spent his life in farming.  Within a year or so after coming to this town Mr. Gamble was a charter member of the Presbyterian Church at West Camden.  Of his children there survive two sons and three daughters: James A. and Miss Susan Gamble of West Camden; Mrs. William Hyatt of Kasoag; A. Sperry Gamble of Malone, and Mrs. C. H. Delamater of Cherry Creek, Allegany county.  The funeral will be held to-morrow afternoon at 2:30 from his late home.

THE POST STANDARD - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Saturday - January 28, 1905 - page 13
CAMDEN, Jan. 27, --
Calvin C. Tillson, an aged and respected citizen of this village, died yesterday.  He had been in declining health for some time, and since a recent fall had been confined to the house, but was up and about the house yesterday morning.  He was born in Carver, Mass,; in 1821, and his boyhood days were spent in his native state.  In the year 1842 he came to Camden, and on June 25 of the same year he married Miss Jane E. Franklin.  In 1843 they settled in Parish, Oswego county, where he remained until 1873, when he became a resident of Camden.  Two daughters, Mrs. J. H. Reddington of Parish and Mrs. I. A. Fay of Camden survive.  Two granddaughters also remain, Mrs. W. R. Becker of Visalia, Cal., and Mrs. Willard Parke of this village.

THE POST STANDARD - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Sunday - January 16, 1949 - page 27
MILLER -- In Syracuse, Jan. 15, 1949, Mrs. Emma P. Miller of 300 Woodruff ave.  Survived by seven daughters, Mrs. Robert Corcoran, Mrs. William Smith, Mrs. Charles Stuhler, Mrs. James McMahon, Mrs. Norman Audas, Mrs. Michael Collins and Miss Dorothy Pellenz; three sons, Peter, Jr., William and Joseph Pellenz; 17 grandchildren; 24 great grandchildren.  Funeral services will be conducted from the house of Miss Pellenz, 810 S. Crouse ave. Tuesday at 8:45 a.m. and at St. John the Evangelist church at 9:30.  Interment Assumption cemetery.  Friends may call Sunday and Monday 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m.  Arrangements by Newell-Helm Funeral Home.

THE POST STANDARD - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Tuesday - February 26, 1907 - page NR
Leaves Daughter in Syracuse.
ONEIDA -- Feb. 25 -- Mrs. Sarah Myer, widow of Isaac Skellham, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Abner Knight, this morning, aged about 65 years.  She is survived by four sons, Edward of Munnsville, William of Vernon, Charles and Ira of this city.  Besides the daughter, at whose home she died, she is survived by two other daughters, Mrs. Adam Jacobs of Syracuse and Mrs. Andrew Hoffman of Rome.  She was a member of St. John's Church, where funeral services will probably be held Thursday afternoon at 3 o'clock.

THE POST STANDARD - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
March 28, 1905 - page 11
CAMDEN, March 27, -- Mrs. Rhoda C. Brown died this morning at the home of her son John H. Chamberlain.  She was born in Herkimer May 27, 1820, and married when young John D. Chamberlain, who died a few years later.  She afterward married Mr. Brown.  She had lived in Camden 35 years.  She moved to Michigan in 1870 and lived there eighteen years, after which she moved back to Camden.  Sixteen years ago she fell and broke her hip, from which she never recovered.  Two years ago she had a shock, since which time she had lived with her son, John H. Chamberlain, who is the only surviving member of the family.  The funeral will be held Wednesday at 3 o'clock from the late home.

SYRACUSE HERALD-AMERICAN - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Sunday - November 6, 1955 - page 41
H. C. Slate Dead at 70
ROME -- Funeral services for Herbert C. Slate, 70, of 512 W. Dominick St., will be held at the Waldo Wiggins Prince-Home for funerals Tuesday afternoon and at the Zion Episcopal Church at 2 p.m.  Burial will be in Rome Cemetery.  He died at the Rome Hospital yesterday where he had been a patient eight days.
He was born in Clayton.  He married Florence Patterson, who survives in Rome.  A Republican committeeman at the time of his death, he had been a marine engineer on the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River before coming to Rome in 1916 to work for the Rome Wire Co.  He remained employed with the General Cable Corp. until 1947, where he had been a foreman for the last 20 years.  He had been employed at the Rome Cable Corp. shipping department for the last five years.

SYRACUSE HERALD-AMERICAN - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Sunday - April 7, 1957 - page 41
Wilbert Harp Oneida, Dies
ONEIDA -- Wilbert Harp, 62, of 250 N. Main St., died early yesterday after a long illness.
He was born in Oneida, June 21, 1894.  He was a retired employee of Oneida Ltd.  Mr. Harp was a member of the Community Associated Clubs of Sherrill and the Fish and Game Club.  Surviving are his wife Mrs. Carrie Harp; a son William Harp, a brother William Harp; a sister, Mrs. William Clark; two grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.  The funeral will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow at the James Iles Funeral Home, 186 Madison St.  Burial will be in Oneida Castle Cemetery.  Friends may call at the funeral home today from 2 to 5 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m.

SYRACUSE HERALD-AMERICAN - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Sunday - July 6, 1952 - page 32
Mrs. Gifford to be Buried Tomorrow
ROME -- Funeral services for Mrs. Anna Deitch Gifford, 82, who died Thursday in Rome Hospital will be held at 2:45 P.M. Monday from the home of her daughter, Mrs. Sarah Fike at 828 W. Dominick st., and at 3:30 P.M. at St. John's Lutheran Church.  Born Dec. 27, 1869, at Seifert's Corners, she was a life resident of this city.  She was married to Henry M. Gifford in 1885.  He died in 1926.  She was a member of St. John's Lutheran Church and an honorary member of its Ladies Aid Society.  Surviving are five sons, Parry A. Gifford of Rome, C. Morris Gifford of Weedsport, Charles H. Gifford of Syracuse, William J. Gifford of Lake Delta and Earl J. Gifford of Rome; three daughters, Mrs. John E. Waller, Sr., Mrs. Elmer Hill, and Mrs. G. Kenneth Longway of Smith's Hill.

SYRACUSE HERALD-AMERICAN - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Sunday - April 10, 1960 - page 55
Absent in Court, Found Dead Hanging
CAMDEN -- Seventy-five year-old Barney Audas, 18 Oswego St. was scheduled to answer a reckless driving charge in Rome City Court Friday night but he didn't show up. Early yesterday morning, his wife, Ruth; summoned a neighbor and told them to call the state police at once.  When state police arrived, they found Audas hanging by his neck in a barn next to his home.  Cpl. Fred Fessenger, Sylvan Beach substation, said Audas hung himself.  The victim had to be cut down by troopers. However, Corner Thomas A. Cox, Rome, ruled the death "sudden," caused by a heart failure.  The coroner, in cases such as this, usually had three days in which to give an official ruling.  State police said that the traffic charge had been lodged by the sheriff's department following a one-car accident Thursday afternoon on the Rome-New London road.  A passenger in the Audas car was injured.   Mr. Audas had been a resident of this area for more than 23 years.  A carpenter by trade, he was a member of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, Local 1016, and a member of the Camden Lodge 100F.
He leaves his wife; four daughters, Mrs. Burdette W. Warren, Rome; Mrs. Emerson Neuthardt, Utica; and Mrs. Harry Schofield and Mrs. Jack Card, both of Camden, 10 grandchildren; a sister, Mrs. Reuben Hall, Camden; one brother William Audas, Westdale, and several nieces and nephews. Services will be at 2 p.m. tomorrow from the Sanborn Funeral home with the Rev. Allison C. Wood, pastor of the Camden Methodist Church, officiating.  Burial will be in Forest Lawn, Cemetery, Camden.

SYRACUSE HERALD-AMERICAN - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Sunday - June 18, 1950 - page 34
David Root of Cleveland Dies at 83
CLEVELAND -- David M. Root, 83, a retired mason, died yesterday at his home here after an illness of ten months.
Born in the Town of Fenner, a son of Hiram and Sarah Hibbard Root, he married Abbie Piersall at Cleveland June 22, 1890.  She died March 26, 1943.  Surviving are three sons, Palmer of Waterport; Hary of North Syracuse, and Robert of Rochester; one daughter, Mrs. Edith Audas of Cleveland; two half-brothers, Charles Hibbard of Camden an Edward Hibbard of Montoursville, Pa., two sisters, Mrs. Mable Hughes of Camden, and Mrs. Augusta Fuller of Sherrill; five grandchildren and one great-grand-daughter. Two ministers will officaite at funeral services Tuesday at the home at 1:30 P.M. and half an hour later in Maple Flats Baptist Church.  They are the Rev. Stewart J. Veach of Madison Baptist, and the Rev. Ivan Napper of Maple Flats Church.  Burial will be in Maple Flats Cemetery.

SYRACUSE HERALD-AMERICAN - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Sunday - July 25, 1943 - page 29
Miss S. F. Bernhard, History Teacher, Dies in Hospital
Miss Sophia F. Bernhard, 52, of Central Square, died Saturday in Memorial Hospital.  She taught history for several years at Onondaga Valley Academy, retiring last year because of failing health.   A member of the Young Women's Group of First Methodist Church, Syracuse, she is survived by a sister, Mabel L. Bernhard of Cleveland; three brothers, Dr. James M. Bernhard of Walden, Samuel M. of Pittsfield, Mass., and John A. of Syracuse.   Last rites will be conducted at 7 P.M. Monday at the family home in Cleveland, by the Rev. Philip D. Mang, with burial in the village cemetery.

SYRACUSE HERALD-AMERICAN - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Sunday - November 22, 1959 - page 36
Mrs. Viola Louis Dies in Vienna
VIENNA -- Funeral services for Mrs. Viola Lonis will be conducted Monday at 2 p.m. in the Vienna Methodist Church.  Mrs. Lonis died Friday at the home of her sister, Mrs. Clarissa Suits, with whom she had resided the past three years.  A native of Vienna, she was born May 7, 1882, daughter of James L. and Ida E. Rice Armstrong.  She is the widow of Herman J. Lonis, who died in 1939.  Before living with her sister, Mrs. Lonis had lived in Maple Flats and Clinton.  She was a member of the Vienna Methodist Church.  She is survived by, besides Mrs. Suits, her sister; Mrs. L. J. Audas of Clinton; and two brothers, John E. Armstrong of Niskayuna and Ralph Armstrong of Central Square.  The Rev. Fred Jackson, pastor of Vienna Methodist Church, and the Rev. Wiley White of West Moreland, will officiate at the services.  Burial in Maple Flats Cemetery.  Friends may call at the Suits home this afternoon and evening at their convenience.

SYRACUSE HERALD-AMERICAN - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Sunday - June 24, 1956 - page 35
Mrs. Fuller Rites To Be Tomorrow
CAMDEN -- Funeral services for Mrs. Augusta Root Fuller will be held tomorrow at 2:30 p.m. at the B.S. Sanborn & Son Funeral Home, Camden, the Rev. George Stiegler, officiating.  Burial will be Forest Park Cemetery. Mrs. Fuller, who died Friday night at the George Nursing Home, was the widow of Otis Fuller.
Survivors include one daughter Mrs. Lottie Olin of Clinton; two sons, Arthur Fuller of Camden and Harold Fuller of Sherrill; 12 grandchildren and 21 great-grandchildren.

SYRACUSE HERALD-AMERICAN - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Sunday - August 1, 1954 - page NR
SCHWARZ - In Syracuse, July 30, 1954, MRS. SARAH DEXTER SCHWARZ, widow of John S. Schwarz.  She is survived by four daughters, Mrs. George B. Case of Lyndon, Mrs. Rowland Wilson of Solvay, Mrs. Harry Moldt of Rome and Mrs. W. D. Smith of Dundee, Illinois; thirteen grandchildren, twenty-four great-grandchildren, a sister Mrs. Hugh W. Van Camp of Potsdam.  Funeral service will take place in the Funeral Chapel of Fairchild & Meech, Monday at NR.  Interment Rome, N.Y.  Friends wishing may call at 500 West Onondaga Street Sunday, 3 to 5 and 7 to 9 P.M.

SYRACUSE HERALD-AMERICAN - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Sunday - July 16, 1950 - page 32
Rites Tomorrow for Mrs. Comins
CAMDEN -- Funeral services for Mrs. Minnie L. Comins, who died Friday in a Rome hospital, will be at 2 P.M. tomorrow from the B. A. Sanborn & Son Funeral Home, the Rev. Carlton G. VanOrnum officiating.  Burial will be in Forest Park Cemetery.  Born April 20, 1878, she married Jay Comins Oct. 3, 1894.  They lived in Florence about ten years before moving to Camden where they have since resided.  Mr. Comins died in April, 1949.  She is survived by four sons, Walter and Wallace of Camden; Howard of Oneida and Nelson of Syracuse; three daughters, Mrs. Woodward Perkins of Camden; Mrs. Myrtle Carr of Binghamton; Mrs. Harold Rush of Camden; one brother, Andrew York of Camden; two sisters, Mrs. Lena Comins, of Camden and Mrs. Ernest Yerdon of Fenton, Mich.; 26 grandchildren, and eleven great-grandchildren, several nieces and nephews.

SYRACUSE HERALD-AMERICAN - Syracuse, Onondaga, New York
Sunday - April 4, 1954 - page 43
W. E. Golly, 88, Funeral Tuesday
ROME -- William Eugene Golly, 88, of 817 W. Dominick st., died yesterday in the home of his daughter, Mrs. Jonas G. Fike, after an illness of six days.
Mr. Golly was born in the town of Lee.  He married Alice Akins in 1894.  Mrs. Golly died in 1950.  He was of the Methodist faith and a past member of Royal Arcanum.  His early years were spent as a cheesemaker in the Rome area, and for 30 years he was employed by Textile Knitting Company.  At 78, he went to work at Griffiss Air Base.  Surviving besides his daughter are a brother, F. J. Golly, Syracuse; a niece, Mrs. Rorace Douglas, and a granddaughter, Jane R. Fike, Rome.  Funeral services will be held at 2 P.M. Tuesday at Griffinn and Aldridge Funeral Home.  Burial will be in Rome Cemetery.

Rome Daily Sentinel August 26, 1907
Andrew Blake
In the death of Andrew Blake, which occurred on Thursday morning at his home near Glenmore, Annsville lost one of its most honorable men.  He was highly respected by all, always having a kind word for everyone.  He was sick only eight days with pleuro-pneumonia.  He was born in Ireland in 1834.  After the death of his father in 1839 his mother with him and two younger children emigrated to America and settled in Kingston, Canada, where he lived until 1859, when he came and purchased a farm in the northern part of the town of Annsville.  He was a prosperous farmer, conducting at one time three large farms.  He married Ann Meagher.  There were born to them one daughter and one son dying in infancy, and the late W H Blake in July 1905.  His wife died about 18 years ago.  He was a veteran of the civil war, serving about two years.  He is survived by five sons, Thomas, John, James and Charles of this place and Francis of Omaha, Neb., and one brother, William Blake of Oswego.
Patty Burnett

Rome Daily Sentinel February 5, 1892
Ann Meagher Blake
This community was shocked on learning of the death of Mrs. Andrew Blake, which occurred very suddenly at 7 am on Monday.  She was ill but a short time.  She was greatly respected by all who knew her.  Her funeral was largely attended from St. Ann's Church at 11 am on wednesday.  Besides a husband she leaves six sons:William H., Thomas A., John, James P., Charles and Frank, all of this place.
Patty Burnett

Utica Observer Dispatch, Friday, Sept. 26, 1969, Page 15:
Arthur H. Rhubart, 85, of 24 Main St., Whitesboro, died yesterday in St. Elizabeth's Hospital.  He was a retired purchasing agent for the Niagara Mohawk Power Corp. He was born in Carthage, received his education there, and came to Utica as a young man. In Utica, many years ago, he married Mary Agnes Jones.  She died in 1962. Mr. Rhubart served 49 years with Niagara Mohawk, first in the Utica office, fro 1929-30 in the Albany office, and from 1930-1955, in the Buffalo office.  He returned to Whitesboro in 1959.  He was a member of St. Paul's Church, Whitesboro, its Holy Name Society and the 25 Year Club ofNiagara Mohawk. He leaves a daughter, Miss Mary Frances Rhubart, Whitesboro. The funeral will be at 8:30 Monday from the Heintz Funeral Home and at 9 from St. Paul's Church, Whitesboro.  Burial will be in Mt. Olivet Cemetery.  Calling hours are from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 tomorrow and Sunday.  The Holy Name Society will recite the Rosary at 8 p.m. Sunday.
Susan "Sue" Gates Davis

From Roman Citizen, Tuesday, Sept. 1, 1840:
In Rome, on the 20th ult., Jane, daughter of Ira and Phebe Gibson, aged 15 years, 2 months and 27 days. Very suddenly, in LeRoy, on the 22nd inst., Mrs. Eliza Gates, wife of the On. Seth M. Gates, aged 35 years.
In Camden, on the 26th ult., of Scarlet Fever, Willard, only son of Mr. J.C. Sears, aged 5 years.
And on the same day, a child of Mr. Wm. Hanna, aged 2 years.
In Camden, on the 30th ult., Mrs.. Smith, wife of Col. John Smith, aged 64 years.

From Roman Citizen, Sept. 14, 1840
At Vernon Centre, on the 3d inst., Mrs. Desire Ketchum, aged 38 years.
In Vernon on the 21th ult., Caroline Olivia, only daughter of Ward and Catharine Maria Root, aged 11 months and 14 days.

From Camden Advance Journal, Feb. 18., 1886:
Rowell - In Camden, Feb. 11, 1886, Mrs. Fanny Rowell, aged 67 years.
Forbes - In Vienna, Feb. 12, 1886, Andrew Forbes, aged 54 years.
Brewster - At the residence of her daughter Mrs. Andree Meeker, Feb. 17, 1886, Mrs.. Simon Brewster, aged 86 years, 10 months, 14 days.  Funeral Saturday at 2 p.m. at the house.

From Camden Advance Journal, April 1, 1886:
NOXON - In Camden, March 26, 1886, Harmon S. Noxon, aged 35 years.
COVILLE - In Vienna, March 29, 1886, Nancy Coville, aged 70 years.
OWEN - In Camden, March 30, 1886, Jennie C., wife of James P. Owen, aged 34 years.
HOOKS - in Camden, March 30, 1886, John Hooks, aged 78 years.

From Camden Advance Journal, April 1, 1886:
Obituary:  Mrs. James P. Owen
Tuesday morning Mrs. James P. Owen passed from this life.  It was unexpected to many as her illness was brief.  The circumstances are sad as a home is broken and the central figure taken from it.  An infant nine days old and two bright little girls 8 and 10 years old are bereft of a mother's care, and the husband mourns the loss of a good wife.   Mrs. Jennie Norton Owen was the youngest daughter of Mrs. Rockwell of this village, and sister of Mrs. W. T. Stevens and T. H. Norton of this place and Mrs. Brainard Nelson, of Oswego.  Mrs. Owen was a quiet home-loving woman, a good wife and mother and a much respected neighbor.  The afflicted family have the sympathy of the community in their sorrow.  Funeral from the house at 2:30 this afternoon.

From Camden Advance Journal, April 1, 1886:
Harmon S. NOXON
    The death of this man, but just past the half way of life, at his father's on the S.T. Wood's farm, was a surprise to nearly every one.  He had been some time in the west.  His health failing he went by medical advice to Hot Springs, Arkansas.  A few baths deciding that the treatment was unavailing for him, he at once set out alone for Camden, which he barely reached, after three days and nights continuous travel, on the evening of March 11th-  "Come home", as he said "to die."  Despite all that medical aid with tendered paternal and fraternal care could do, he passed away at noon of the 15th day.
    "Harmies" generous nature and genial ways have won for him devoted friends during his few years acquaintance in town, whose attendance and attentions at the funeral on Tuesday, testified.  to the sincere and hearty sympathy with the stricken family circle.
 Kathy Johnson - kthyjhnsn@yahoo.com