A special thank you to Barbara Andresen
for submitting this article on Taberg!
Printed in ROME SEMI-WEEKLY CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida County, New York, Wednesday, June 13, 1888
Many readers of the Citizen, and others who have not been its readers, have heard of the village of Taberg, yet those who have not visited the locality have but little idea that nestled down among the hills and valleys of Annsville is one of the prettiest and pleasant inland villages to be found. The present population of the village is about five hundred, and it is surrounded by a farming country which produces in fair quantities those crops which renumerate the farmer for his toil, while the numerous cheese factories seen here and there attest its good qualities as a grazing locality.
Although lacking somewhat in the enterprise and push that characterized it in the days when the old blast furnace was in full operation, yet many industries are fairly represented at the present time. One large wagon shop, owned and occupied by J. J. Beck, turns out a large number of wagons, carriages and sleighs, noted for superior workmanship, finish and durability, and several smaller establishments where custom work is done.
Of churches we have three -- the Methodist Episcopal, having a membership of between two and three hundred; the Baptist and St. Patrick's Caholic, all in a good, healthy condition. There are two good schools within the limits of the village where the large number of school teachers in this town received their education.
Two large canning establishments in the village canned over half a million cans of corn last year. We also have two tin shops and stove dealers. Then we have a cheese factory, which makes in flush feed as high as thirty cheese per day, aggregating 1,920 pounds, which ranks second to none in market.
We have four dry goods and grocery stores, one boot and shoe store, a drug store, three hotels, one saloon, harness shop, etc. We are eleven miles from the city of Rome, connected by telephone and a daily stage, two and one-half miles from Taberg station, on the Rome, Watertown & Ogdensburg R. R., to which a fine bus runs to every train, besides a freight wagon, which transports goods to and from the station.
There is no better water privileges in the State than we have from Fish creek, and our people would gladly welcome parties who would invest capital in milling and manufacturing business; and then, if the Rome and Carthage railroad could strike us, we could make as fine a business showing as any little inland village in the country.
Following is taken from the 1860 Gazeteer of the State of New York by J. H. French, published by R. Pearsall Smith, Syracuse, New York, fifth edition. pg. 461-462
Taberg is in the southern part of Annsville,
New York. Taberg is named from an iron-mining town in Sweden.
The Oneida Glass and Iron Manufacturing Co. began operations here
in 1809. In 1811 a blast furnace was erected. Formerly hollow
ware was extensively made; but at present pig iron is the chief product.
Among the early settlers were Elias Brewster, Adam P. Campbell, Nicholas
Armstrong, and Squire Fairservice.