The town of Bridgewater lies in the southeastern
corner of the county.
It was formed from the town of Sangerfield March 24, 1797.
The first settlement of the town was in the year 1788 by Major Joseph
Farwell, and later that same year Ezra Parker arrived. Ezra settled in the
north part of the town and opened his house as a tavern. In 1789
Major Farwell, along with Ephraim and Nathan Waldo removed their
families from Mansfield, Connecticut to Bridgewater where they arrived
on the 4th of March. The first town meeting was held on 4 April 1797
at the house of Col. Thomas Convers.
P.O. Box 348
Bridgewater, NY 13318