Camden Newspapers Obituaries

Ann Leuenberger - Town Editor

Camden Advance Journal:  December 2, 1926
Miss Jane A. Wasson Passes to Final Rest
Beloved Resident of Camden for 34 Years -- Was Native of Amboy -- Funeral Saturday.
 Miss Jane A. Wasson, one of Camden's most respected citizens, passed away yesterday just at noon.  Miss Wason had been in poor health for several months but was confined to her bed for a little less than two weeks at the last.
 Jane A. Wasson was a daughter of the late Hugh and Margaret Swanson Wasson, who came from Scotland.  She was born in Amboy September 4, 1854.  Her early life was spent in her native town and the past thirty-four years in Camden.  The family home is on Miner avenue, where she has lived with her sister since the death of their mother twenty-five years ago.
 Miss Wasson was a member of the First Presbyterian church of Camden, a home body of cheerful disposition who took great pleasure in doing whatever she could for others.
 She is survived by a sister, Miss Margaret J. Wasson, a brother, Hugh Wasson of Camden and by three nephews and a niece:  Roy J. Wasson of Colorado Springs, Colo., Robert H. Wasson of Washington, D. C., William J. Wasson of Phoenix, Arizonia and Miss Margaret M. Wasson of Ilion, N. Y.
The funeral will be held from her late home at 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon.  The Rev. F. Ernest Miller will officiate and interment will be made in the family plot in Forest Park cemetery.
WASSON - In Camden, N. Y., December 1, 1926 Jane A. Wasson, aged 72 years and 2 months.

Camden Advance Journal:  October 18, 1917
Mr. and Mrs. Wasson Were Driving to Their Home, When a Syracuse Car Skidded and Crashed Into Them -- Mr. Wasson Instantly Killed, His Wife Badly Bruised, One of the Horses Injured So It Was Necessary to Kill It -- Remains Brought to Camden for Burial.
 One of the most shocking automobile accidents of the season occurred Saturday afternoon near Pulaski, at which time the life of William Wasson was instantly taken, his wife quite badly hurt and one of their horses had to be killed as its legs were broken.  Mr. Wasson was a former Amboy man, a brother of Hugh Wasson of Wolcott Hill and the Misses Wasson of Miner avenue.  A Pulaski dispatch to The Syracuse Post-Standard reports the accident as follows:
 "Pulaski, Oct. 13 -- William Wasson, 65, a farmer residing on the Salt road, about two miles south of Pulaski, was instantly killed at 4 o'clock this afternoon when he was struck by an automobile owned and driven by George C. Gildersleeve, a druggist of Syracuse.
 "The accident accurred in the vicinity of the Advent Church at a point about three miles south of this village.  Mr. Wasson, who had been a resident of this town for many years, coming here from Amboy, was driving his team.  He was accompanied by his wife.
 "They were on their way to the Wasson farm, a mile north of the scene of the accident.  Mrs. Wasson was seated in the rig, a milk wagon, her husband was standing at the side of the wagon.
 "The Syracuse man was on his way from that city to Watertown, accompanied by Mrs. Gildersleeve and the latter's mother, Mrs. Jennie Mellon of Watertown, who had been spending some time with her daugther in Syracuse.
 "As the Gildersleeve car neared the spot where the accident occurred another machine was approaching from the north.  In attempting to turn out the car of Mr. Gildersleeve skidded and before he could control it the automobile crashed into the milk wagon, striking Mr. Wasson and throwing Mrs. Wasson from the rig.
 "One of the horses was so badly injured that it was found necessary to kill it a few minutes after the collision.  The car of Mr. Gildersleeve turned over in the ditch but the occupants escaped with a severe shaking up.  Mrs. Wasson was severely bruised but no bones were broken.
 "The state highway was in poor condition, resulting from the heavy rain storm which prevailed at intervals yesterday and today.  It was stated this evening that an examination of the Gildersleeve car showed that the brakes had failed to work when applied by the driver.  His machine was badly wrecked.
 "Mr. and Mrs. Gildersleeve and Mrs. Mellon were taken to the Pulaski House and this evening returned to Syracuse on the night train.  Dr. Leroy F. Hollis of Lacona, coroner for the eastern end of Oswego county was notified and directed the removal of the body of Mr. Wasson to the undertaking rooms of Enos & Morton where an autopsy was performed by Dr. Fred L. Ritter of Pulaski, coroner's physician.
 "The autopsy showed a severe fracture of the skull extending from temple to temple, both legs were fractured and other injuries suffered."

Camden Advance Journal:  May 16, 1935
Miss Wasson, 75 Dies Suddenly
Native of Amboy, Camden Resident 42 Years -- Funeral to be Held Saturday Afternoon
  In usual health at 8 o'clock last evening having just completed writing two letters, Miss Margaret J. Wasson breathed her last at 8:30 last evening at the home of Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Young, Miner avenue.
Thus suddenly ended the life of this long-time and beloved resident of Camden.
 Margaret J. Wasson was born in the town of Amboy January 5, 1860, daughter of the late Hugh and Margaret Swanson Wasson.  Her early life was spent in the town of her nativity, until forty-two years ago when she and her sister came to Camden and bought the Edgerton property at 45 Miner avenue.  After the death of her sister in 1926 she continued to occupy the home until taken ill early in March.  Since she had been cared for by Mr. and Mrs. Young.
 Miss Wasson was a member of the Presbyterian church.
 Surviving besides her brother, Hugh Wasson of this village, are three nephews and a niece, William J. Wasson, Phoenix, Arizonia; Roy J. Wasson, Colorodo Springs, Col.; Robert H. Wasson, Batavia, N.Y.; Miss Margaret Wasson, Ilion, N.Y.
 The remains are at the residence of Undertaker J. Floyd Smith, until Saturday, when the funeral will be held from Miss Wasson's former home at 45 Miner avenue, at 2 o'clock.  Rev. B. A. Walton is to officiate.  Interment in Forest Park cemetery.  Bearers will be Alex Swanson, Fred H. Swanson, Walter E. Lobdell, A. T. Wilkinson, W. J. Young and Mr. Higby.
WASSON - In Camden, N.Y. May 15, 1935 Margaret J. Wasson, aged 75 years and 4 months.

Obituary from the Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, February 8, 1894
  Mary Isabel wife of Morris Roberts and daughter of John Swanson on Mexico Street, died of consumption at her father's house this morning, after an illness of several months.  Mrs. Roberts a young lady greatly beloved by her relatives and friends, was a member of the Presbyterian church of this village, and a consistent christian.  The bereaved husband has the sympathy of all in this his second bereavement within the past few months, when they lost a little daughter.  This is also a crushing blow to doting parents and affectionate brother and sister of deceased.  The hour of funeral is not announced as we go to press.
ROBERTS - In Camden, N.Y., Feb 8, 1894, Mary Isabel, wife of Morris Roberts, aged 26 years.

Camden Advance Journal: 1935
Retired Railroad Man Had Been Active in Church and Lodge Work
 Camden, Dec. 2 -- Milton Eastham, 65, retired railroad employe, an active worker in affairs of the local Methodist Episcopal Church and a past master of Philanthropic Lodge, F. and A. M., died Sunday night at a Rome hospital where he had been taken on Friday.  He had been in poor health for a few months.
 He was born at Auburn, January 18, 1870, a son of the late Edmund and Lucy Armstrong Eastham.  His father died when he was 14 years old, and at the age of 22 he learned the trade of telegrapher and held positions with the Lehigh Valley and New York Central railroads at Camden, Spencer, Ludlowville and McConnellsville.  He was station agent for the N. Y. C. in Camden from 1902 to 1918, when he resigned to become one of the telegraph operators here and at McConnellsville.
 He married Miss Helen Swanson of this place on December 20, 1894, her death occurring October 2, 1918.  He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and was a member of the official board.  He had always taken an active part in church affairs.  He served Philanthropic Lodge of Masons as master in 1930.
 Surviving are two sons, Milton and John Eastham of Camden; two sisters Mrs. Stephen Haven of Sayre, Pa. and Mrs. Arthur Brown of Spencer.
 Funeral services will be held at the home of his son, John Eastham, 61 Second St., on Wednesday at 2 p.m.   The Rev. W. K. Bradshaw will officiate and members of the Masonic Lodge will conduct their ritual.  Burial in charge of J. F. Smith will be made in Forest Park Cemetery.

Obituary from the Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, October 3, 1918
And Passed Away About Four and a Half Hours Later - Past Matron of Eastern Star and Had Taken Two Grange Degrees - Esteemed and Beloved By Wide Circle of Friends.
 About 3:30 Tuesday morning, occurred the death of Mrs. Milton Eastham at her home, 1 1/2 miles from this village, on Wolcott Hill.  She had been in her usual health, until about 11 o'clock Monday evening, when she suffered a cerebral hemorrhage which resulted in her death.
  Mrs. Eastham was formerly Helen A. Swanson, daughter of John and Elizabeth Rush Swanson, and was born in Camden, April 22, 1870.  She was married to Milton Eastham on Dec. 20, 1894.  She had lived in the different places where Mr. Eastham's work as operator and station agent for the New York Central Railroad has taken him and they returned here to live from Canton, 11 years ago.  Mrs. Eastham was a member of the Methodist church and also a prominent member of the O.E.S.  She had been Past Matron of the latter order, and, at present, held the office of Associate Matron.  She was also joining the Grange and had taken two degrees at the meeting, Saturday evening.  Her death came as a great shock to the members of the family and her many friends as well.  She was of a friendly nature, a good neighbor and much interested in her home.
 She is survived by her husband, two sons, Milton Earl, who is at Camp Dix, and John of Camden, and one brother, Fred Swanson, also of Camden, to all of whom profound sympathy is extended.
  The funeral will be held at 2:30 Friday from the Methodist church.  The O. E. S. will attend in a body.
EASTHAM -  In Camden, NY, Oct. 1, 1918 Helen A. Swanson, wife of Milton Eastham, aged 48 years, 5 months and 8 days.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, March 4, 1965
Services Performed for M. E. Eastham
 Milton Earl Eastham, 69, a World War I veteran, died early Friday in a Canandaigua hospital.
Son of Milton and Helen Swanson Eastham, he was born October 10, 1895, in McConnellsville.  He attended Camden High School and for 23 years was a village mail carrier.  Mr. Eastham was inducted into the service on September 28, 1917, and received his discharge November 30, 1920.  He was the recipient of the Victory Medal.  He served as a member of the Camden Board of Education from 1939 to 1942 and after centralization of the system he was district clerk from 1942 to 1963.  He was a member of the Camden Methodist Church, a trustee, member of its official board and had served as financial secretary for many years.  He was also a member of its Men's Club and Philathea Class, and was a Sunday school teacher for many years.   He had also been active in Scouting and Masonic Circles.  He was a member of Philanthropic Lodge, F&AM, master in 1926 and 1927, and lodge secretary for 28 years.  He served as district deputy grand master of the Second Oneida District in 1935.    Mr. Eastham had also served as high priest of Darius Chapter, RAM, was a member of Rome Commandery, Ziyara Temple AAO - NMS, the Western Shrine Club, Camden Chapter, OES and of the North Star Court of Amaranth.
He was a past commander of the Arthur S. Moran Post, American Legion, Camden, and a member of the Camden Grange.   Mr. Eastham was thrice married.  His first wife was Margaret Durgee, and his second, Elsie Watkins.  Both are deceased.   On January 26, 1946, in Johnstown, he married Gladys Vedder.  The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Harlow W. Parson, pastor of the first Baptist Church. He leaves his wife, one daughter, Mrs. William (Barbara) Braell, Palmyra; a son, Donald Eastham, Mannsville, one brother, John Eastham, Camden; 11 grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.  Funeral services were held at 2:30 Sunday at the E. H. McDaniels funeral home, 47 Miner Ave., with the Rev. George Dolch, pastor of the Methodist Church officiating.  Burial was in Forest Park Cemetery with these bearers:  J. Edmund Durgee, Delis T. Vedder, Richard C. Vedder, Llwellyn P. Woodard and Harold C. McDaniels. Members of Philanthropic Lodge conducted their ritualistic services at the funeral home Saturday evening.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, October 15, 1970
Services Thursday For John E. Eastham
  John E. Eastham, 71, of 61 Second street, Camden, died Oct. 12 at his home after a long illness.  He was born May 10, 1899, in Ludlowville, the son of Milton and Helen Swanson Eastham.     He was married to Marjorie E. Harris September 17, 1921 in Williamstown, with the Rev. William Stimson officiating.  He was a member of Camden United Methodist Church, served as superintendent of the Sunday school for many years, and also taught a Sunday school class.  He was a past member and treasurer of the Church Board of Trustees.
 He was a member of Philanthropic Lodge 164, F&AM, and Darius Chapter 144, RAM, and a past president of the Onieda County Square Club.  Owner and operator of Johnny Eastham's Plumbing & Heating for over 30 years, he also worked 9 years for Camden Wire Co. Inc., retiring in 1968.     He is survived by his wife, two daughters, Mrs. Wilson (Helen) Lovenguth of DeWitt and Mrs. Paul (Muriel) Musch, Camden; and 7 grandchildren.     Private funeral services will be held Thrusday at 1 p.m. at the E. H. McDaniels funeral home with Rev. Paul D. Mills officiating.  Burial will be in Forest Lawn Cemetery, Camden.     Calling hours are Wednesday evening from 7 to 9 p.m.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, May 4, 1899
On Sunday morning George Rush, a resident of this town, who for years has lived on his farm on the cross road from Mexico street to the Hillsboro road, was found dead in bed at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Adelbert H. Percival on Voorhees avenue in this village.  His wife died February 15th and for the past three weeks he had been visiting in this village with his children.  He had not been well for some time and had been doctoring for kidney trouble and heart disease.  He had been feeling usually well and on Saturday night spoke of this fact, he having walked about the village during the day.  The family were greatly shocked to discover that he had died during the night.  Dr. Shaver, who had been doctoring him recently was called and pronounced his death due to heart failure.    Mr. Rush was born in Germany 77 years ago.  When nine years of age he came to America and before coming to Camden resided in Utica and Verona.  Forty-eight years ago he came to Camden and has spent all this time on the farm near Hillsboro.  His wife was Miss Belinda Pond of Connecticut.  He was respected by all who knew him, and many friends will mourn the death of a true friend and helpful and generous neighbor.  He was a member of the Congregational church, and until the years were heavy upon him was a regular attendant of church services.   He leaves to sorrow for the death of a loving and considerate father three children:  George H. and R. M. Rush and Mrs. Adelbert H. Percival of this village; also the following brothers and sisters:  Jacob Rush, Mrs. John Swanson and Mrs. Mary Loevenguth of Camden, Mrs. Lucy Thalman of Rome, Mrs. Jacob Thalman of Geneva and Charles P. Rush of Hillsboro, Ill.   The funeral was held yesterday afternoon at 3 o'clock from the home of his daughter on Voorhees avenue, Rev. R. Abbott officiating.  Interment was made in Camden cemetery.
RUSH - In Camden, N.Y. April 30, 1899, George Rush, aged 76 years, 7 months and 22 days.

Camden Advance Journal:  February 16, 1899
  After a long and painful illness, on Wednesday Belinda wife of George Rush, was released from earthly suffering.  Mrs. Rush was born in Connecticut, and was one of a family of five children, two sisters and three brothers.  She was married to George Rush of this town 53 years ago last Christmas, and came to Camden and has since lived in the home near Hillsboro where she closed her eyes in the last sleep.  She was a consistent and earnest christian and member of the Congregational church of this village.  She was held in high esteem by her neighbors and friends for her many good qualities.  Besides her husband she is survived by three children, George H. and Riley M. Rush and Mrs. A. H. Percival, all of this town who mourn the loss of a devoted and affectionate wife and mother.  She also leaves one sister Mrs. Emily Pond of Torrington, Ct.   The funeral will be held at the late residence on Saturday at 1:30, Rev. E. Evans officiating.
 RUSH - In Camden, N.Y., February 15, 1899, Belinda, wife of George Rush, aged 75 years and 11 months.

Camden Advance Journal: 1929
Stricken with a Heart Attack Monday Afternoon Dies Few Hours Later  Old Esteemed Resident
Had Lived in Massachusetts of Late Years, and was going " Home" this Week
  Stricken with a heart attack as he was assisting in the flower garden Monday afternoon, George Henry Rush, well known and highly esteemed Camdenite, failed to recover entirely and suddenly died at 7:45 that evening at the home of his sister, Mrs. A. H. Percival, 19 Voorhees Avenue.  A strange coincidence of his death is that he was planning to return to  Massachusetts next Saturday after an extended visit here with his sister, brother and other relatives.  The fatal attack came like a bolt from a clear sky.  He had been in usual good health and during the afternoon oined his sister and family in fixing up a flower plot in the yard.  Seized with an acute heart pain he went within the house and home remedies relieved the condition, but later he grew worse and Dr. Bell was called.  He was a great sufferer until the end came.
     Born in Harmington, Conn., November 29, 1848, Mr. Rush was a son of the late George and Belinda Pond Rush who came to Camden to reside when he was a small child.  With the exception of about fifteen to twenty years, Mr. Rush spent the remainder of his four-score years in this town.      After his school days his first work was with J. W. Mix in the latter's canning factory which was located at the top of Mix Hill where
Harry Clements now resides.  He continued with Mr. Mix for a number of years and also remained in his employ after the factory business was moved to the Railroad Street site, which eventually became the property of L P. Haviland.  Mr. Rush and his son, Clarence, established a planing mill business in New Britain and in this factory the deceased had the misfortune to lose a hand in a planer.  After her recovered, he returned here and for a number of years was employed in the George W. Dana factory.     In 1869, Mr. Rush married Dora Stevens who dies in April 26, l885.  He was a member of the Camden Cornet Band, which was organized in l883 and existed for nine years.  He also served the village as a fireman for many years and was a member of Hose Co. No. l.
     He leaves a son, Clarence Rush of Hartford, Conn, two grandsons and three great-grandchildren; a sister, Mrs. A. H. Percivall and brother,
Riley M. Rush, both of this village.   The funeral is held this afternoon from the Percival home at 3 o'clock, the Rev. C. G. Roop officiating.  Bearers will be George W. Dana, Fred Becker, A.H. VanDeWalker, and H. L. Monroe.  The body will be laid beside the remains of his wife in Forest Park cemetery.

Camden Advance Journal:  April 28, 1887
Died at Camden, N. Y. Tuesday, April 26, Mrs. Dora, wife of George Henry Rush, aged 40 years.
Mrs. Rush's parents came from Germany many years ago.  She was born at Coonrad Settlement, near Rome, N. Y., and was one of ten children.  She has been a resident of Camden about 20 years.  Mr. and Mrs. Rush were married October 14, 1869.  Last summer she was quite sick with a stomach difficulty for some time.  The disease returned again a few weeks ago, when it was found to be a cancerous affection of the liver.  She was confined to her bed for about three weeks.  Mrs. Rush boarded a number of young men at different times for a few years past and attached them to her quite strongly.  She was a faithful and loving mother and wife, a good neighbor and friend.  Home was the center of interest to her.  She died trusting in the Savior.  A husband and one son are left in much lonliness to mourn her loss, and many relatives and friend share with them and sympathize with them in their bereavement.

Camden Advance Journal:  March 24, 1949
Clarence S. Rush,  78, Dies At Granddaughter's Home
 Clarence S. Rush, 78, died Tuesday morning at the home of a granddaughter, Mrs. George White, 12 Sixth Street, with whom he had made his home for the past six years.  He had been ill but a short time.  Mr. Rush was born Sept. 2, 1870, in Camden, a son of George H. and Dora Stevens Rush.  His wife, the former Millie Dana, to whom he was married in Camden July 3, 1889 by the Rev. M. L. Dalton, died in 1942.  He was a member of the First Church of Christ Scientist, Rome, and of the Mother Church, the First Church of Christ, Scientist, Boston.  Mr. Rush received his education in district and local schools, and after his marriage resided in the State of Virginia, New Britain, Conn., and Springfield, Mass., returning to Camden about 16 years ago.     He had been in the woodworking business all his life, and until his retirement a year ago, was employed  for 10 years by the Rochester Shoe Tree Company.    Surviving in addition to the granddaughter at whose home he died are two sons, Cleon, Springfield, Mass., and Earle, Camden; also three other granddaughters, Mrs. Emory LaVancher, Mrs. George Henderson, and Miss Barbara Rush, all of Camden, and five great-grandchildren.     Funeral services were held Thursday at 2 o'clock at the B. A. Sanborn & Son funeral home, Camden. Mrs. Frank Jayne, Rome was the reader.  Burial will be in Forest Park Cemetery.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, October 3, 1940
Prominent Citizen Called - Riley M. Rush, Churchman, Mason, Granger, Civic Worker
Two Successive Strokes Within Few Minutes Takes This Well Known Camdenite as He Awaited Time for Church --
Funeral Held Yesterday Afternoon.
 Riley M. Rush, highly esteemed citizen and a man who had long been prominent in the civic affairs of Camden, suddenly passed away Sunday morning at the home of his son, Elmer M. Rush.   Mr. Rush arose before the rest of the family that morning, as was customary on Sundays.  He dressed in readiness to attend church and then sat down to read, when suddenly he was stricken with what proved to be a stroke.  His son, learning of his predicament, immediately called a nearby physician, Dr. D. M. Allison, who quickly responded.  Within a few minutes Mr. Rush suffered the second shock, which caused his death at about 9 o'clock.
      The deceased was born on the Rush farm homestead just west of the village, December 17, 1857, son of the late George and Belinda Pond Rush.  With the exception of a few years when he served as a processor in canning factories at Oneida, Cortland, and Auburn, he had lived in Camden.  He also worked in local canneries.  He served as local agent for the National Express Company before the sale of the E. C. & N. Railroad to the Lehigh Valley Company, and at one time conducted a coal business, in conjunction with which he carried on a general trucking business.  This line he sold to the late John F. Jeffrey.  He was one of the game protectors of Oneida County for a number of years, and aided in the fight to eliminate fish piracy on Oneida Lake.     A fine cabinet worker, Mr. Rush was connected with the pattern department of the Camden Water Wheel Works, and also with its succeeding owners, the Camden Hydraulic Corporation.  He later followed carpentry, and his final business activity before retirement was association with his son Wilbur in carrying on motor express lines between Camden and Utica.       Loyal as member of the Methodist Church, Mr. Rush had been one of its most valued members down through the years -- a singer in its choir, member and head of the official board and superintendent of the Sunday school.
Last Charter Member of Grange.
     He was the last surviving charter member of Camden Grange.       In Masonry, he joined Philanthropic Lodge F. and A. M., in 1891, and two years later became affliated with Darius Chapter, R. A. M., of  this village.     He had served as local welfare officer, and years ago was an official of the old town fair that was known as Camden Industrial Association.  He was one of the last members of the Camden Cornet Band, which flourished in the '80's and '90's.     For fifteen years he served on the board of trustees of Camden Cemetery Association as its president, a position he held at the time of death.  He took a great interest in the cemeteries and gave liberally of his time in carrying on the good work that is noted in the upkeep on Camden's burial grounds.     July 1, 1875, Mr. Rush married Miss Emma Crandall, their wedded life extending over a period of about 52 years, or until she passed on in 1927.     To mourn his loss are two sons, Elmer M. and Wilbur E. Rush; four grandchildren, Harold, Beatrice, Arlene, and Margaret Rush; two great-grandchildren, Donald and Arthur Rush; a sister, Mrs. Mary Percival; two nieces, Miss Maud Percival, Mrs. Frank A. Sanborn, and a nephew, Clarence Rush, all of Camden.     Riley M. Rush was one fine gentleman and leaves a wide circle of friends who will long cherish his memory.  He possessed many good traits, and his influence for good lives on.
Masons Confer Funeral Rites.
     There was a very large attendance of friends at the funeral, which was held at 2 o'clock yesterday in the B. A. Sanborn & Son funeral home.  The place was filled, and a wealth of flowers also attested to general high esteem in which Mr. Rush was held by relatives, neighbors and friends.     The Rev. T. J. Williams, pastor of the Methodist Church, officiated, assisted by the Rev. Harold Buckingham of Oneonta.  Bearers were Harold Sanford, Clarence E. Young, Stanley Cox, Dr. J. T. Prichard, John A. Litts and Fred E. Colburn.  Interment was in the family plot in Forest Park Cemetery.     Members of Philanthropic Lodge attended in a body and conducted the committal service of the lodge at the grave, with Worshipful Master Harold I. Sanford and Chaplain John A. Litts officiating.

Camden Advance Journal:  January 20, 1927
Mrs. R. M. Rush Passes Away
Formerly Emma E. Crandall
Born in Camden in 1857 and Had Spent Practically Her Whole Life Here.
     One of the thoroughly good and greatly beloved women of Camden was called from this life last Thursday about noon when Mrs. Riley M. Rush breathed her last at the family home in Second street.  She had been in ill heatlh for a number of years and from time to time had suffered from critical attacks that foreshadowed the end.     Mrs. Rush was born February 14, 1857, on Wolcott Hill, in the town of Camden, and had resided in the town all but about 10 years of her life.  Her maiden name was Emma Elizabeth Crandall, and her parents were the late Ebenezer and Betsey Howland Crandall.  Her marriage with Mr. Rush was soleminzed July 1, 1875, the ceremony being performed by the Rev. A. L. York at the home of the bride's parents.  The golden anniversary of their wedding was fittingly observed in 1925.  Just prior to that time she had been very ill and it looked doubtful if she would be spared to see her golden anniversary day.  But her condition improved and it was a supreme joy of her life that the memorable event became a possibility.    Mrs. Rush was a valued member of the Methodist church with which denomination she united in membership many years ago.  She was greatly interested in all church work, in matters pertaining to the uplift of humanity, and the advancement of the missions.  She was affiliated with the Home Missionary Society, and also was one of the charter members of the Camden Grange.     She was a devoted, loving wife and mother, a woman of many virtues, whose kindness and sympathies ever dominated her associations with neighbors and friends.  Thus it is today that her passing is regretted by all who knew her.  Each friend will long cherish the memory of her useful and inspiring life.    Besides her husband she leaves two sons, Wilbur E. Rush of this village, Elmer M. Rush of Wolcott Hill, and four grandchildren, Harold, Beatrice, Arline and Margaret Rush, children of Elmer Rush.  She also leaves two nieces and several cousins.     From the family residence Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock the funeral was largely attended, the Rev. N. A. Darling, her pastor, officiating.  Mr. Darling closed his remarks with the recital of a beautiful poem which was a favorite with the deceased.  There was no music.  A wealth of flowers expressed in a mute way the general sorrow and sympathy of friends from far and near.  There were 26 beautiful pieces, among them being ones from the Grange, N. Machine Corp., Cemetery Association Trustees, Directors Grange Store and a "neighborhood piece."  Bearers were Dr. W. J. F. Van Allen, Dr. J. T. Prichard, R. C. Knapp, and A. H. Vandawalker.  The remains were buried in the family plot in Forest Park Cemetery.     Among those from out of town present at the services were George H. Rush of Huntington, Mass., Dr. and Mrs. A. L. Shaw of Utica.

Camden Advance Journal:  June 5, 1947
Mrs. Percival Dies At Age of 87 Years.
Mrs. Mary E. Percival died June 1, 1947, in the home of her daughter, Mrs. Frank A. Sanborn, 49 Second street, after a short illness.  She had lived at her daughter's home since 1930.     Although 87 years old at the time of her death, she had remained actively interested in currant day affairs until taken ill, and was especially noted for her skilled handiwork.  During the war years, when Camden Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution was completing a number of afghans for the comfort of hospitalized veterans, Mrs. Percival, as a friend, donated many hours of her time to help in this project, contributing to the chapter many packages of knitted squares.  Born May 21, 1860, on Dutch Hill road, in the Town of Camden, she was a daughter of George H. and Belinda Pond Rush.  She was married to Adelbert H. Percival, November 13, 1879 in Camden, the ceremony being performed by the Rev. Ethan Curtiss.  Mr. Percival died in 1929.    Mrs. Percival's husband built the first residence on Voorhees Avenue, which was still a wooded section, and the family moved there to live. Of recent years, as her age increased the many friends of Mrs. Percival joined relatives in wishing her well on her birthdays, remembering the day with messages, flowers and gifts.  Mrs. Percival was a member of the Methodist church here, and was a charter member of Queen Village Rebekah Lodge, Camden.  Surviving are two daughters, Miss Maude Percival, Camden; Mrs. Sanborn, with whom she lived; two grandsons, Donald R. Sanborn and Richard F. Sanborn; three nephews Clarance, Wilbur and Elmer Rush, all of Camden. Funeral services were held yesterday at 3 p.m. at the B. A. Sanborn and Son funeral home, performed by the Rev. B. A. Walton, and burial was in Forest Park Cemetery, Camden.  Bearers were Kenneth Ostrander, Robert Furbush, Raymond Vrooman, Leroy Plumley, Leon Card and Donald H. Barker.   Attending from out of town were Mr. and Mrs.  Willard Hough of Bristol, Conn.; Mrs. Orville Manzer, Turin; Mrs. Lola Alstad, Sherrill; Mrs. Charles Barden, Rome and Mrs. Emerson Neuthardt, Buffalo.  Among the profusion of beautiful flowers were tributes from the United Church Queen Village Rebekah Lodge, auxillary of Arthur S. Moran Post, American Legion, neighbors, friends and relatives.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, April 12, 1888
Mrs. Jacob Rush
 Few were aware of her serious illness until the announcement of the death of Mrs. Jacob Rush, which occurred at her home on Second street Monday evening.  She was taken with a chill a week ago Sunday evening, but did not take to her bed until Tuesday when pneumonia set in, and complicated with asthma from which she had long suffered, rendering her case a serious one.  The stricken husband and two sons suffer an irreperable loss, the M. E. church loses a valued and consistent member, and the community mourns the loss of a truly good woman.  The funeral will be attended tomorrow afternoon, at 1:30 at the house and at 2 o'clock at the church.
RUSH - In Camden, April 9, 1888, Amelia Rush, wife of Jacob Rush, aged 55 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  1917
Horace J. Rush Passes Away
 Horace J. Rush died at three o'clock this morning, at his home in Union street, after an illness lasting about a year.  Until three months ago he was able to be about his work at the Dana factory.   Mr. Rush was born in this village June 29, 1865, a son of Jacob and Amelia Howd Rush.  October 30, 1889, he was united in marriage with Lena Grant.  Camden has always been his home except for five years spent in Poughkeepsie and Peekskill. Mr. Rush was well known in this town and had won a large number of lasting friendships.  He was a sash and door maker and until the factory was destroyed by fire, continued the business which his father established at the foot of Third street.  For several years past he has been employed at the Dana factory.  He was an attendant of the Congressional church.  The deceased is survived by his wife, and a half sister, Mrs. Charles Wunsch of this village.  The funeral will be held at the home in Union street Sunday afternoon, at two o'clock, Rev. C. S. MacLowell officiating.  Burial will be made in Forest Park Cemetery.

Camden Advance Journal:  August 29, 1912
Great Shock to His Friends --- A Popular Camdenite and Once a Proprietor of the Rush Sash and Blind Factory.
 The death of Howd B. Rush Saturday morning at 9:30 o'clock, came as a great shock to his friends.  Last week Monday he came home from Rome and at the time was quite ill.  His condition apparently improved until Thursday afternoon when there was a change for the worse.  He died at the home of his brother, Horace J. Rush, in Union street.   Mr. Rush was a son of the late Jacob Rush and was born at the old homestead in Second street June 29, 1865.  He grew to manhood here and was employed in the sash and blind factory of his father until about 1891 when he and his brother suceeded to the proprietorship of the business.  About eleven years ago, having sold his interest in the business, he left town and up to the death of his wife in February, 1908, had resided in different places.  His wife was formerly Miss Grace E. West of this village, whom he married 23 years ago in November.  He leaves besides his only brother a step-mother, Mrs. Helen Rush of this village and a step-sister, Mrs. Charles H. Wunsch of Rome. The funeral was held from his brother's home at 3 o'clock Monday afternoon, the Rev. Mr. R. L. Rae officiating.  The singing was by John H. Cook, who rendered "Beautiful Isle of Somewhere," and another appropriate selection.  The bearers were Horace J. Rush, R. M. Rush, Charles Loevenguth and Fred H. Swanson.  Burial was made in Forest Park cemetery.  Those present at the services from out of town were Mr. and Mrs. Chas. H. Wunsch, Mrs. Broughton, and Miss Nellie Thalman of Rome, and Mrs. Clarence King of Utica.

Died at her home in Geneva -- Was a Native of Camden
Tuesday evening, after an illness of some time from a complication of heart and kidney troubles, Mrs. Jacob Thalman, a daughter of the late Geo. J. and Elizabeth Rush of this town, entered into peaceful rest at her home in Geneva.  She was born in Hillsboro, this town, in the spring of 1833, and was reared on the farm homestead.  For many years she was in employ of Edwin Dunbar, and when he went to Rome to live she went there with the family.  Nearly fifty years ago in Rome she became the wife of Jacob Thalman, and for a time they continued their residence there.  Then they came to Camden and remained here until 1862, when they went to Hopewill, Ontario Co., and a few years later removed to Geneva and was a highly respected woman.  Besides her husband she is survived by two daughters and two sons.  They are Mrs. Carl Anderson, Julia E., Frank and Hiram Thalman all of Geneva.  Two sisters and two brothers also survive; Mrs. Geo. J. Lovenguth of this town, Mrs. Martin Thalman of Rome, Jacob Rush of Camden and Charles P. Rush of Hillsboro, Ill.  The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon.

Camden Advance Journal:  May 21, 1903
  Relict of the late George Loevenguth, died Tuesday forenoon at her home in Hillsboro, after a three weeks' illness of heart trouble.  Mrs. Loevenguth was a daughter of George and Elizabeth Rush and was born in this town just across the highway from her late home.  She was aged 67 years.  Her entire life, with the exception of the winter months, which she passed with her daughter in Rome, had been spent in town.  Fourty-two years ago she was united in marriage to Mr. Loevenguth, who died a number of years ago.  She is survived by one son, Charles, and a daughter, Mrs. Fred Pierce of Rome.   One sister, Mrs. Lucy Thallman of Rome and two brothers, Charles Rush of Ill. and Jacob Rush of Camden, also survive. Deceased had been an attendant of the congregational church.  She was a woman esteemed by many friends who will regret her demise.  The funeral will be held today  at 2 p.m. from her late home, Rev. Richard Abbott of the Presbyterian church to officiate.  Interment in Forest Park cemetery.
LOEVENGUTH - In Hillsboro, N.Y., May 19, 1903, Mary Margaret Rush, relict of George Loevenguth, aged 67 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  April 20, 1899
Sudden Death of George Loevenguth
George Loevenguth, a well known farmer residing on the cross-road which leads from Mexico street to the Hillsboro road, died early Monday morning.  He had been troubled with heart difficulty for some time, but was about all day Sunday and apparently feeling as well as usual.  Soon after 3 o'clock Monday morning his wife was awakened by his peculiar and heay breathing and found that he was in a serious condition and rapidly sinking.  He expired at 3:30.  Mr. Loevenguth was born in Germany in 1833, therefore was 66 years of age.  He came to this country when a young man, worked for the Dunbars in this village and later bought the farm on which he had since resided.  He married 38 years ago Miss Mary Rush, a sister of Jacob and George Rush of this town.  He was an honest, industrious citizen and one of our porsprous farmers and was highly esteemed by his neighbors and friends.  In early life in Germany he became a member of the Lutheran Church.  He leaves to mourn his death beside his aged hlpmeet, one son, Charles of this town, and one daughter Miss Hattie Loevenguth of Utica.  The funeral was held yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the house.
 LOEVENGUTH - In Camden N.Y., April 10, 1899, George Loevenguth aged 66 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  Friday, November 10, 1950
Charles Loevenguth Died Monday at 88
 Charles W. Loevenguth, 88, died Monday morning at the Murdough Convalescent Home.  While he was in failing health, death was unexpected.  He was a Camden native.    Mr. Loevenguth was born May 24, 1862, the son of George and Mary Rush Loevenguth.  He married  Sarah Roberts February 18, 1891, in Florence, with the Rev. George Benaugh, Presbyterian pastor, performing the ceremony, Mrs. Loevenguth died May 6, 1949.   Until his retirement about 6 years ago Mr. Loevenguth was a farmer.   He is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Royal Salladin, 28 Elm Street and Mrs. William Dorrance, Philadelphia, Pa., five grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.  Funeral services were held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at the B. A. Sanborn & Son Funeral Home with the Rev. Carlton G. VanOrnum, pastor of the First Methodist church, officiating.  Burial was in Forest Lawn Cemetery.  Bearers  were Thomas Regan, David Seubert, James Osborn, Tracy Allen, Earl B. Niles and George Miller.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, October 16, 1941
Sudden Death of S. R. Lovenguth Saddens Friends
Dies Unexpectedly Saturday Morning at Age of 48 -- Woodshop Supt. at Bentley-Wilson Inc.
Stuart R. Lovenguth, 48, native and life-long resident of the town of Camden, died suddenly in his home at 13 Church Street at about 6:30 o'clock Saturday morning.  He had been in usual health and employed in his work the day before, although for some time back he had been under medical care.  His death was a great shock to friends, of whom he had many.  Mr. Lovenguth was born September 14, 1893, on the farm homestead of his parents, Charles and Sarah Roberts Lovenguth, a few miles west of this village, where he grew to mandhood and after his marriage owned and conducted a farm near his parental home.  His marriage with Miss Reba E. Williams took place May 31, 1913, the Rev. Robert L. Rae officiating.  Four years ago Mr. Lovenguth gave up farming and moved into this village, after a time becoming proprietor of the Esso filling station on Main Street.  After a year in this business he sold out and entered the employ of the Bentley-Wilson tennis racquet factory where he had been engaged about two years.  He was a popular workman, capable, painstaking and for the last two months had been superindendent of the woodshop.  His employers and co-workers speak highly of him and feel that the concern loses a valued worker.
Besides his widow he leaves seven children, Donald, Utica; Robert, Carl and Lynn, Mrs. Herbert Alguire, Mary Lou and Shirley, all of Camden; his parents, two sisters, Mrs. Roscoe B. Skinner and Mrs. Lewis H. Burkett of Camden and three grandchildren.  The final rites were largely attended at the B. A. Sanborn and Son funeral home on Monday afternoon at 2:30, with the Rev. B. A. Walton officiating.  Burial was in Hillsboro Cemetery. Those who acted as bearers were all fellow employes at the Bentley-Wilson Inc., and were Ralph Ware, Lynden Fox, Benjamin Griffen, John Sampson, William Kotwica and Arthur Covel.   Attending the service from out of town were Donald Lovenguth, Utica, Mr. and Mrs. Dean Williams, Mr. and Mrs. Leland Williams, Refield; Mr. and Mrs. D. C. Williams, Deansboro; Mr. and Mrs. Albert Stedman, Mr. Lee Stedman, of Oseola; Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Roberts, Waterville; Mr. John Lewis Sr., and John Lewis Jr., Pulaski; Mrs. Sadie McGinley, Miss Ann McGinley, Yorkville; Mrs. Mary Smith, Williamstown.

Camden Advance Journal:  June 10, 1915
Native of Camden Who Died in Rome -- Highly Esteemed Lady Who Was Laid to Rest Thursday.
On Thursday in Rome occurred the funeral of Mrs. Lucy M. Thalman, a well known and greatly beloved native of Camden.  Mrs. Thalman passed away at an early hour last week Tuesday morning, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. H. W. McGwigan, From Saturday she had been unconscious as a result of paralysis.  Mrs. Thalman was born in Camden of February 9, 1838, and was the last member of the family of John and Elizabeth Rush.  She resided in Camden until December 21, 1858, when she was married to Mr. Thalman in Utica.  Mr. and Mrs. Thalman went to Rome to reside, living there ever after.  Mr. Thalman died August 7, 1896.  Mrs. Thalman was a member of the First M. E. Church and for many years belonged to the different societies connected with the church.  She leaves four children, Mrs. McGwigan, with whom she resided, Mrs. A. J. Broughton, Miss Nellie Thalman and Martin Thalman all of Rome.  She also leaves four grandchildren Mrs. W. L. Williams of Baltimore, Md., Stuart Neiss, Rohoda and Frederick  Thalman of Rome and one great grand child.  Mrs. Thalman was well known and highly esteemed resident and had many friends in Rome and Camden who are saddened by her death.  Deceased was a sister of the late Jacob and George Rush, Mrs. John Swanson and Mrs. Geo. Loevenguth of this town.  Relatives of deceased from Camden who were in Rome Thursday to attend the funeral of Mrs. Lucy M. Thalman were:  Riley M. Rush, Horace J. Rush, Fred H. Swanson, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Loevenguth, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. J. McGillis and Mr. and Mrs. Milton Eastham.

Camden Advance Journal:  November 12, 1914
Chas. P. Rush Dies in West.
 Mr. Charles P. Rush, a former resident of Camden, died at his home in Hillsboro, Ills., from rheumatism, after an illness of several months.  He was born in Camden on the old homestead, the George Rush farm, west of the village and was about 76 years of age.  He was a carpenter by trade and moved to Illinois about 46 years ago, where he has since lived.   Mr. Rush was three times married.  His first wife was Miss Mary Voorhees, the second Miss Florence Voorhees, a cousin of his first wife and for his third wife he married a western lady, who survives him.  He leaves one daughter, Mrs. F. E. Camp of Granite City, Ills., and one sister, Mrs. Lucy Tallman of Rome, N.Y.  Mr. Rush was a member of the Masonic order and of the Woodmen.  He has many friends among the older people of Camden who will regret to hear of his death.
RUSH - In Hillsboro, Ills., October 24, 1914, Charles P. Rush, aged about 76 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  November 19, 1908
Mrs. Wolcott Wetmore, Who Was Born in Camden 63 Years Ago - Funeral Today.
  About 7:30 Monday morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Burr Howd on Dunbar street, occurred the death of Mrs. Lucy Wetmore, relict of the late Wolcott Wetmore.  The immediate cause of death was apoplexy.  Seven or eight years ago deceased suffered several slight paralytic shocks and nearly ever since had been an invalid, being practically helpless.  She was taken worse about 3 o'clock Sunday afternoon and failed rapidly from that time until she peacefully entered into rest.  Mrs. Wetmore was born in Camden 63 years ago the 29th of last January, and with the exception of an absence of a year and a half in Connecticut with her son, she has passed her entire life in this town.  Her maiden name was Lucy Piney and she became the wife of Mr. Wetmore about 43 years ago.  For about 15 years she has been a widow.  She was a highly esteemed lady, possessing many qualities of womanly virtue that endeared her to all who made her acquaintance.  For many years she has been a member of the M.E. church of this village.  The faith in which she lived and died was fully exemplified during the long years of infirmity and incidental suffering. To mourn her death are three children who are H. E. Wetmore of Hartford, Connecticut; Mrs. Burr Howd of Camden and Miss Gertrude Wetmore of Manchester, Conn. to all of whom the sympathy of a wide circle of friends is extended.The funeral will be held this afternoon at 2 o'clock from the home of Mrs. Howd, Rev. F. L. Knapp officiating.  Burial will be made in Forest Park cemetery.
 WETMORE - In Camden, N.Y., November 16, 1908, Lucy Piney, relict of the late Wolcott Wetmore, aged 63 years, 9 months and 18 days.

Camden Advance Journal:  April 2, 1896
The sudden and sad news of the death of Mina Wetmore, wife of Spencer Matteson of this village, which occurred at 1:30 Monday morning cast a shadow of gloom over the hearts of her many relatives and friends.  Saturday evening about 7 o'clock Mrs. Matteson became the mother of an infant which did not live.  She failed to rally and at eleven o'clock became unconscious, from which state she passed into sleep that knows no awakening.  Mrs. Matteson was 27 years of age, and the eldest daughter of the late Wolcott Wetmore.  She was married to Spencer Matteson two years ago, with whom she had dwelt in perfect marital harmony.  She was a lady of large accquaintance in this village and Hillsboro, quiet and unassuming and greatly respected.  She leaves, besides her sorrowing husband, a mother, a brother, Henry Wetmore, and sister Gertrude, of this town, and another sister, Mrs. Burr Howd of Syracuse, to mourn her death. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon from the house, 156 Main street, at 2, and at the M.E. church at 2:30, Rev. W. F. Brown officiating.
MATTESON - In Camden, N.Y., March 30, 1896, Mina Wetmore, wife of Spencer Matteson, aged 27 years and 10 months.

Camden Advance Journal:  February 13, 1947
Mrs. Burr Howd, 76, of Chittenango Dies
Mrs. Burr Howd, 76, died in Memorial Hospital, Canastota, Feb. 5, 1947.
The former Vida Wetmore was born in Camden, Aug. 8, 1870, a daughter of Wolcott and Lucy Piney Wetmore.  She was married to Mr. Howd in Amboy Center Nov. 2, 1892, and they lived for many years on the Hillsboro Road.  For the past 29 years they had been residents of Chittenango. She was a member of Chittenango Methodist Church and its societies. Surviving are her husband, one sister, Mrs. John Wafer, of Madison, Conn., and nieces and nephews.  Funeral services were conducted Saturday at 2 p.m. at the B. A. Sanborn & Son funeral home, the officiating clergyman being the Rev. W. H. Brakley, pastor of the First Methodist Church of Camden.  Burial will be in Forest Park Cemetery in the spring.  Bearers were W. H. Garlick, Floyd Clark, James Osborne, Thomas W. Crenan, Earl Niles and Thomas Regan.

Camden Advance Journal:  February 13, 1919
Another Old and Esteemed Citizen Who Will be Missed -- Funeral Saturday.
At the family residence on Mexico street yesterday morning at about 4 o'clock, Mrs. Geo. J. Loevenguth, one of our old residents and a woman who was greatly beloved among many friends, passed peacefully to her Heavenly reward.  Deceased had been in failing health for several years, but was able to be about until a month ago when she suffered a stroke of paralysis.  She rallied from this, but was stricken with another last Saturday, from which time on to the close of her existence her vitality and strength gradually failed. Mrs. Loevenguth, who was formerly Susan R. Pilkington, was born in Blackburn, England, September 17, 1844.  Her parents were John and Julia Pilkington.  With her death the last of a family of eleven children have passed on.  Deceased came to this country with her parents when she was six years of age.  First they located in Sauquiot for ten years, and then moved to the Falvey homestead on Florence Hill.  She lived here until she united in marriage with George J. Loevenguth on Oct. 18, 1866, after which she moved to the farm now owned by Joseph F. Dupont, just west of this village, where she lived until four years ago when they moved to their home on Mexico street.  Mrs. Loevenguth was a member of Trinity Episcopal church.  She was a fine christian lady and dearly beloved by all who knew her.  A noble mother, a true friend and good neighbor her memory will long be revered.  Besides her husband she leaves a daughter, Miss Augusta Loevenguth, a teacher at Glens Falls High School; three sons, Herbert of Mariposa, Cal., Prof. Jay E. Loevenguth, principal of the High School at Cattaraugus, and Earle B. Loevenguth, of the office force of F. H. Conant's Sons, Inc. this village. The funeral will be held at 2:30 Saturday afternoon from her late home and interment made in Forest Park Cemetery.
 LOEVENGUTH -- In Camden, N.Y., February 12, 1919, Susan Rebecca Pilkington, wife of George J. Loevenguth, in her 75th year.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, September 23, 1915
A Native and Life-Long Resident of Camden, Life Spanning More Than 3 Score and 10 Mark - Her Death Brings Sadness to Many - Funeral Largely Attended at the Methodist Church Yesterday.
Mrs. Julia Loevenguth Wilcox died at 8:30 Sunday evening, at the Wilcox homestead on the Hillsboro road, after an illness lasting over 3 years, during the last 13 months of which she had been confined to her bed.  Last Thursday she became considerably worse, and on Saturday lapsed into unconsciousness from which she failed to rally. Julia A. Loevenguth was born January 4th, 1844, upon the old Loevenguth homestead, still standing in a state of decay, about a mile from the Hillsboro road.  Her father, Peter Loevenguth, was one of the pioneer settlers.  He later built the house now owned by Joseph Seubert and lived there until his death in 1855. On July 5, 1863, the deceased was married to Frederick D. Wilcox, youngest son of Chester Wilcox, also one of Camden's pioneer settlers, and the deceased had almost continuously since resided upon Wilcox homestead.  Frederick D. Wilcox died in June 1899.  Ten children were born of their union, of whom seven survive, one daughter, Lois, died in 1887 at the age of 16; another daughter Ida, the oldest child, died in June 1893.  One son, Irvin F., died last April after a brief illness with pneumonia.  Adelbert G. resides in Syracuse, interested in stock and farming.  Edwin A. also resides in Syracuse, having farm interests in Nebraska, where he spent the active years of his life.  Attorney Chester is employed in the State Treasury at Madison, WI, where he has been for ten years.  Robert E., an attorney, resides in Rochester.  Jennie R. is employed in the United States Treasury at  Washington D.C.  Olive M. (Mrs. Charles E. Clark) resides on Preston Hill.  Kathryn A. (Mrs. Frank B. Allen), who has been at home with her mother this summer, resides in Syracuse.  In addition nine grandchildren survive.  The deceased leaves a brother surviving.  George J. Loevenguth, who recently retired from active farming and moved into this village.  A sister Kate who married William Sayles of New york, died several years ago.  the only other sister Elizabeth, who married the late David J. Fox, of this town, died a few years since. The deceased had a wide acquaintance in the community.  She loved most her home, and lived to see the realization of her fondest hope - to see her children equipped to fill active and respected positions in life.  Mrs. Wilcox united with the Camden M.E. church in her young girlhood. The funeral was held Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. at  the first M.E. church of this village, Rev. Frederick Maunder officiating.  The bearers were, Messrs. Oliver Babcock, Joseph Seubert, Andrew L. Clelland, Hamilton J. Wilson, Samuel T. W. Scoville and Thomas Parke, all life-long friends of the deceased.  Interment was made in Forest Park Cemetery.  It is probable that the farm which has been in the family over 100 years, will now be sold and pass to other hands.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, September 6, 1928
Life Spanned Nearly 90 Years
George J. Loevenguth, Resident Here For 89 Years, Passes Away
Well Known Townsman
A Fine Citizen and Good Friend, All Feel a Loss in His Passing -- Funeral Held Tuesday.
George J. Loevenguth, one of Camden's oldest residents, aged 90 years, passed away Saturday morning at 10:15 at the home of his son, Earle, 17 Oswego street.  He had been in poor health for the past year and during the past seven weeks had been confined to his bed.
Mr. Loevenguth was born in Whitesboro, N.Y., September 14, 1838 and when but one year old his parents moved from that place and were among the pioneer settlers of Hillsboro, N.Y.  Upon arriving at that place his father cleared the land of forest and constructed a log house in which the family lived for several years.   On October 18, 1866 he married Susan R. Pilkington who passed away February 12, 1909.  For fifty years after their marriage they lived on the farm now occupied by Joseph Dupont.  Fourteen years ago he retired from farm life because of the infirmities incident to old age and since that time he has made his home with his youngest son, Earle, in this village.  Mr. Loevenguth was an industrious man ever devoted to his family and will always be remembered by his friends and acquaintances for his genial disposition.  In his passing is mourned the loss of a loving father, a kind friend and a good neighbor.  He leaves four children, three sons and one daughter:  Herbert H. of Mariposa, California; Jay E., of Sherman, N.Y., Earle B., of Camden, N.Y. and Agusta M. of Freeport, L.I.  Also four grandchildren, George of Mariposa, Calif., Helen of Sherman, N.Y. anf Mary and Billy of Camden, N.Y.  Funeral services wher held from his late home at 2:30 Tuesday afternoon, the Rev. F.E. Miller, pastor of the First Presbyterian church officiating.  Theodore F. Mellon sang two solos, "Abide With Me" and "Will There Be Any Stars in My Crown."  The floral tributes were many and beautiful.  The bearers were John Conniff, Charles Widtman, Joseph F. Dupont, Charles Loevenguth, Fred H. Swanson and Bernard Sullivan.  Interment was made in the family plot in Forest Park Cemetery.  Relatives from out of town attending the services were Principal Jay E. Lovenguth of Sherman; Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Wilcox, Mr. and Mrs. Adelbert Wilcox of Syracuse.
 LOEVENGUTH - In Camden, N.Y., September 1, 1928, George J. Loevenguth, aged nearly 90 years.

Obituary from Camden Advance Journal May 17, 1928:
Mrs. Charles A. Lock Laid at Rest Monday
Highly Esteemed Resident Whose Memory Will Long Be Cherished by Many Friends.
 The death of Mrs. Elizabeth Fleming Lock, wife of Charles A. Lock, which occurred Friday at the family home in Second Street, cast a cloud of sorrow over a host of friends in this community where Mrs. Lock had been in poor health for a number of years, but her final illness was only of about ten days' duration.       Mrs. Lock was born in Redfield, November 19, 1866, daughter of the late Lewis and Nancy Fleming.  She was married December 21, 1889.  They lived in Rome until 1901, and then came to Camden, where they have since resided.  She was the mother of two sons, Wilton C., who died in Camp Lee, Va., October 11, 1918 and Lewis Fleming, who lives at home.  The son and husband survive.
  The funeral was largely attended from the home at 2 p.m. Monday and was conducted by Rev. C. G. Roop of the M. E. church.  Floral tributes were profuse, mutely expressing the sorrow of friends and the love and regard for the deceased.  Bearers were Leland C. Scoville, Ford Clelland, Charles F. Palmeter and Edmund T. Hornung, all American Legion members.  Interment in the family lot in Forest Park Cemetery.
  LOCK -- In Camden, N.Y., May 11, 1928, Mrs. Charles A. Lock, nee Elizabeth Fleming in her 62nd year.

Camden Advance Journal:  November 28, 1929
Former Redfield Man Burned to Death in Fire
Charles Thompson, 76, Loses Life When His Pulaski Home Goes Up in Smoke.
  Charles Thompson, 76, was burned to death in the cellar of his Park street, Pulaski home, the morning of November 20, before firemen, slowed up by a breakdown of their apparatus, could rescue him. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson were sitting in their home at 10 o'clock when they noticed smoke issuing from the furnace registers.  The aged man rushed to the cellar door and down the stairs, crying out to his wife "everthing is ablaze."   Mrs. Thompson ran to Mrs. G. S. Utley's house next door and sent in an alarm.  She was unable to reenter her house because of smoke.  The new $12,000 fire apparatus was slow in starting.  In the two-block run to the Thompson house the gears of the distributor were stripped and the pump did not work when turned on.  The old fire truck was then obtained.  The house was a raging furnace by that time and flames were bursting through rear windows on the first and second floors.  State Troopers Mitrzyk and Howard Bonney donned smoke masks and entered the house, but could not find the man.  It was nearly two hours after the fire started that it was sufficiently extinguished to permit searchers to enter the burned structure.  James Waffel, Frederick Lawrence and Charles Ahrendsen found the charred body of Mr. Thompson at the top of the cellar stairs.  He had apparently made a last-minute effort to escape.  Mr. Thompson came to Pulaski from Redfield four years ago.  He was retired from business.  When a young man he was a carpenter and later was a salesman for the Johnson Harvoster Company.  He has served on the Board of Supervisors of Oswego County.  He was a member of Pulaski Lodge, 415, F & A. M., and the Masonic Club.  He was born November 21, 1853 at Decatur.  He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Ella Fleming Thompson, Pulaski; two daughters, Mrs. F. C. Burkett, North Syracuse, and Miss Ruth Thompson, Syracuse, and one son, Lewis Thompson, New York City. Funeral services were held at two o'clock Friday afternoon in the Masonic Temple.

Camden Advance Journal:  January 23, 1908
Philip Groat Died in the Barn Where He Had Gone With His Son
 Saturday evening Philip Groat, an aged and respectated citizen of Wolcott Hill, died suddenly of heart failure.  Although in feeble health, there was nothing unusual in his conduct during the last hours of his life to warn the family of the sudden and fatal attack.  At about 7 o'clock he accompanied his son and grandson to the barn to do the evening chores.  While they were busy he stood by and talked with them.  Finally he said "I guess I walked too fast," and while in the act of sitting down he was stricken.  They removed him to the house, but life was extinct.  Dr. Shaver was summoned, and he wired Coroner Hubbard, who came to town Monday morning and corroborated the theory of heart failure.  Mr. Groat is highly spoken of by all who knew him.  Had he lived until April 28th he would have celebrated his 86th birthday.  In young manhood he settled with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Simon Groat, in the town of Florence, where he latter became a well known and successful farmer.  He came to Camden a few years ago.  Sixty-three years ago he married Miss Elizabeth McGregor, who in now 79, and survives with one daughter, Mrs. Will Edwards of East Florence, and a son, Jay Groat of this town.  Also a grandson, Herbert Simpkins of Camden. Mr. Groat was a member of the M.E. church of East Florence.  The funeral was held from the house at 10 o'clock yesterday morning.   Rev. F. L. Knapp of this village officiated and the remains were laid to rest in the Grilley cemetery on the State road.
 GROAT - In Camden, N.Y., January 18, 1908, Philip Groat, aged about 86 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  October 28, 1915
Jay Groat Passes Away
 The death of Emery Jay Groat occurred suddenly at his home on the Wolcott Hill road between 12 and 1 o'clock Tuesday afternoon.  He had been suffering for some time with heart trouble.  Mr. Groat was born in the town of Western in 1850, and at the time of his death was 65 years of age.  He was the son of Philip and Elizabeth McGregor Groat.  Fourteen years ago he married Estella Loveland, who survives.  He also leaves a sister, Mrs. Carrie Edwards, who lives near East Florence and a nephew, Herbert Simpkins of Oneida Castle.  The funeral service will be held privately at his late home at 2 o'clock this afternoon, and burial will be made in the Grilley cemetery near Thompson's Corners.
 GROAT - In Camden, N.Y., October 26, 1915, Jay Groat, aged 65 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  April 1, 1875
GROAT - In Florence, March 31, 1875, George Groat, aged 49 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, December 3, 1903
December 3 - Mrs. Geo. Groat, an old and highly respected resident, died at the home of her son, Simon Groat, Tuesday afternoon.

CAMDEN ADVANCE JOURNAL:  Thursday, January 13, 1927
Formerly Anna Groat and Was a Native of Florence -- Had Been Ill a Year.
 Mrs. Willard Rood, well known resident of the town of Annsville, died Thursday morning at her home near the Fish Creek Dam, a short distance from Taberg.  Her death followed an illness of over one year.  She was a native of the town of Florence.  Her maiden name was Anna Groat. Surviving are her husband and four sons, Stephen R. and Harry of Taberg, Herbert of Fulton, and James Rood of Old Forge.
 ROOD - In Annsville, N.Y., January 6, 1927, Mrs. Willard Rood, nee Anna Groat of Florence, aged 74 years.

CAMDEN ADVANCE JOURNAL:  December 31, 1941
Willard J. Rood, 83
 TABERG, Dec. 31 -- Willard J. Rood, 83, retired farmer, died Monday, December 29, 1941, in his home here.
  He was born in Williamstown but had spent most of his life on a farm in the town of Annsville.  He retired seven years ago and moved to Taberg.  His wife, the former Anna Groat, died 15 years ago. Mr. Rood leaves four sons, Herbert of Fulton, Harry and Stephen, both of Taberg and James of Tully; 12 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. The funeral was held at 2 p.m. today in the Methodist Church after a prayer service at 1:30 in the home of his granddaughter, Mrs. Earl Hall, of this place.  The Rev. George M. Butler, pastor of the Methodist Church, officiated.  Burial was in Maple Hill cemetery.

Brother and Sister Die Few Days Apart
Death of Simon Groat in Florence Tuesday Closely Follows Death of Sister, Mrs. Rood.
  Simon Groat, native and practically life-long resident of Florence, died at his home in that town at 10:30 Tuesday morning.  He had been in poor health for a long time, having a complication of ailments.  The passing of Mr. Groat was the second death in his family within a week, his sister, Mrs. Willard Rood of Taberg, having preceded him in death just five days before. Deceased was a son of George and Matilda Rice Groat and he was born in Florence September 13, 1855.  He married Miss Rose Paddock who died years ago.  Surviving are three sons George, William and Orin Groat, the two former living in Florence and the latter in Osceola, and a daughter, Mrs. May Finch of Syracuse.
 GROAT - In Florence, N.Y. Jan. 11, 1927, Simon Groat, in his 72nd year.

Camden Advance Journal:  May 22, 1890
GROAT - In Florence, May 15, 1890, Mrs. Rosetta E. wife of Simon Groat, aged 32 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, March 9, 1905
Death of William Groat
March 9 - William Groat, after an illness of about a year, died at his home here Sunday morning aged 78.  Mr. Groat resided here all his life.  He was one of the most successful and prosperous farmers in this vicinity.  His brother workers found him a neighbor in the full sense of the term.  The financial standing of the deceased was unquestionable and his accounts were not small with many.   For over 40 years he conducted the business of one farm until about five years ago he was obliged to despose of the farm owing to declining health.  In the village he bought a house where he lived comfortably.  A wife is left to mourn his loss.  The funeral was held from the M.E. church Tuesday and interment in Camden cemetery.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, May 27, 1909
Mrs. Almira Groat
  A former and nearly life-long resident of the town of Florence, widow of the late William Groat of East Florence, died at the home of her niece, Mrs. N.J. Doxtater in Canastota, Saturday at 4:30 p.m., from the effects of a paralytic shock which she suffered about five weeks ago. Mrs. Groat's maiden name was Almira Cady, and she was born near Florence Hill July 26, 1826.  Her husband with whom she had lived for 50 years, died five years ago this spring.  Mr. and Mrs. Groat were prominent residents of East Florence and her death will be received with much sadness.  She was a member of the M.E. church in East Florence, and respected by all who knew her.  For the past three years she had made her home in Canastota. Mrs. C.F. Ward was summoned to that village and took charge of the remains, which were brought to the Ward undertaking parlors on Monday, and the funeral held therefrom at 10 a.m. Tuesday.   Rev. G. D. Ashley officiated.  The remains were laid to rest beside those of the late Mr. Groat in Forest Park Cemetery.  Among those attending were Mr. and Mrs. Doxtater of Canastota, Mrs. C. J. Dale, Mrs. Wm. Edwards, L. Empey and son Homer of East Florence.  Besides many friends to mourn the passing of this much respected lady she leaves a brother, Henry Cady of Rome, and a sister, Mrs. S. Hill of Wilboro, Ohio.
 GROAT - in Canastota, N.Y., May 22, 1909, Mrs. Wm. Groat, formerly of East Florence, aged nearly 83 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, January 27, 1881
GROAT - In Florence, January 21, 1881, Simeon Groat, aged 82 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  August 13, 1891
East Florence
August 11, 1891 - Uncle Solomon Flemming, aged 94 an old landmark of this town, died last Tuesday.

Camden Advance Journal:  May 13, 1875
 FLEMING - In East Florence, May 1st, 1875, Mrs. Sallie, wife of Solomon Fleming, aged 72 years and 6 months.
Mrs. Fleming was the mother of Mrs. E. A. Wakefield of this village, and L. L. Fleming, of Redfield.

Camden Advance Journal:  August 12, 1891
WHITFORD - At East Florence August 12, 1891, Mary Ann, relict of Cornelius Whitford, aged 69 years. Funeral at the house at 12 o'clock, Friday and 1 o'clock p.m. at  the church in Empeyville.

Redfield -- Died on the 9th of July 1893 at 11:00 p.m.  Adam Lock of this village.  Mr. Lock had been suffering for a year at times from a stroke of paralysis.  His funeral was held in the M. E. Church, the Rev. D. D. Sprague officiating.  The remains were interred in the village cemetery.

Obituary from Camden Advance Journal:
Dies Suddenly in East Syracuse -- Formerly of Redfield -- Leaves Son In Camden.
Charles Lock of this village received a telegram Saturday afternoon announcing the sudden death from heart difficulty of his mother, Mrs. Margaret Lock, who passed away at the home of her only daughter, Mrs. Dr. H. E. Richardson in East Syracuse.
Mrs. Lock was aged 69 years and was the widow of Adam Lock.  The family was one of the oldest and best known in the town of Redfield.  Mr. Lock died in 1894, and soon after his widow went to reside with her daughter.  Besides Mrs. Richardson five sons survive to mourn her loss.  They are William, Henry, and George of Chicago, Charles of Camden and Frank of Redfield.  On Tuesday the remains were taken to Redfield and the funeral services held in the M. E. church at 2 p.m.  Deceased had long been a faithful and valued member of that domination, and the large attendance attested the esteem in which she was held.  The five sons acted as bearers.

Obituary from the Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, November 22, 1906
Death of John Rice
John H. Rice, an old resident of Maple Flats, died at the home of his daughter Mrs. F. E. Dickinson, Saturday, Nov. 17.  He suffered greatly for the past six months of cancer of the stomach and death was sweet release, as he longed to be at rest. Mr. Rice was born Oct. 28, 1823, in the town of Athens, Greene county, and was the oldest of five children, three sons and two daughters, none of whom survive.  His great great grand parents on his mother's side came over in the Mayflower.  He came to Cleveland when he was twenty-six and had lived in that vicinity ever since.  May 25, 1853, he married Jane Ann Dodd, who died two years ago last August.  Since her death he had made his home with his children.  After over fifty years of happy married life spent  in a very happy home, he felt very lonely and longed to go home and be with her who had shared his joys and sorrows.
They were members of the Methodist church of Cleveland until lthe building of the Baptist church of Maple Flats, when they joined that church to have a church near-by.  He was a christian in every sense of the word. The funeral was held at F. E. Dickinson's at 12 Tuesday, prayer being offered by Rev. Mr. Briggs of the Methodist church of Cleveland, and at the Baptist church of Maple Flats at two o'clock, Rev. Jabez Ford, his pastor, officiating.  Interment in the Maple Flats cemetery. The children who mourn the loss of a much loved father are Mrs. F. E. Dickinson of Bernhard's Bay, Mrs. Llewellyn Armstrong of Maple Flats, E. G. Rice of Cleveland, Mrs. F. H. Swanson of Camden, and C. E. Rice of Fulton.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, February 12, 1948
Maple Flats and Elpis
Mrs. Ida Armstrong Succumbs in Clinton
 MAPLE FLATS and ELPIS, Feb. 12 -- Friends and neighbors received word last week of the death of a former neighbor, Mrs. Ida Armstrong, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Lundy Audus, at Clinton Thursday morning.  Mrs. Armstrong, the former Ida Rice, was born April 9, 1858 in the town of Constantia, and in 1881 was married to James L. Armstrong. Others surviving besides Mrs. Audas are Mrs. Viola Lonis of Clinton, Mrs. Walter Suits, Philadelphia, N. Y.; Ralph Armstrong, Central Square; John Armstrong, Watervliet; a sister, Mrs. Myrtle Swanson, Camden, 17 grandchildren and several great-grandchildren.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, December 3, 1925
James L. Armstrong Dies In His Eightieth Year
Life-Long Resident of Maple Flats, Farmer, Civil War Veteran and Fine Citizen.
Maple Flats is mourning the departure from life of one of its old and highly esteemed citizens, James L. Armstrong, whose death came at 8:30 o'clock Saturday evening at his home in that place.  He had been ailing for some time but was confined to his bed only about ten days. Mr. Armstrong was born in the town of Vienna May 14, 1846, not far from where he died.  He had been a life-long resident of the locality.  His parents were Amaziah and Clarissa Miller Armstrong.  Farming had been his vocation.  He was a veteran of the Civil War and served in Company K, 189th Regiment, N.Y. Volunteers.  He was a member of J. Parsons Post, G. A. R., of Camden. His wife, formerly Ida Elizabeth Rice, survives with four sons and three daughters:  John E. Armstrong of Albany, Bennison D. and Ralph Armstrong of Vienna, William Armstrong of Yorkville; Mrs. Viola A. Lonas, Mrs. Elsie M. Audas and Mrs. Clarissa J. Suits, all of Vienna.  He also leaves four brothers:  Warren of Mohawk, Alvah of Ilion, Roscoe and George of Vienna; and two sisters, Mrs. Mina Cook of Bernhard's Bay, Mrs. Emerine Hoover of Vienna, besides several grandchildren. The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at 1:00 o'clock from the family residence, the Rev. L. L. Davy officiating.  There was a large attendance, quite a few from out of town being present.  During the service James Raut of North Bay sang two beautiful selections.  The sons acted as bearers and the remains were laid to rest in the Maple Flats cemetery.

Camden Advance Journal:  Friday, November 27, 1959
Funeral Conducted For Mrs. Viola Lonis
VIENNA -- Mrs. Viola Lonis died at the home of her sister, Mrs. Clarissa Suits, Friday afternoon.  She had resided with Mrs. Suits for three years.  She was born in the Town of Vienna on May 7, 1882, daughter of James L. and ida E. Rice Armstrong.  She was married to Herman J. Lonis on Dec. 6, 1900, in North Bay.  He died in 1939.  Mrs. Lonis had lived at Maple Flats, Clinton and then with Mrs. Suits.  She was a member of the Methodist Church. Surviving besides Mrs. Suits, there are another sister, Mrs. L. J. Audas, Clinton, two brothers, John E., Niskayuna, N. Y., and Ralph, Central Square, several nieces and nephews. Funeral services were held Monday at 2 p.m. at the Vienna Methodist Church with the Rev. Fred Jackson, Vienna, and the Rev. Wiley White, Westmoreland, officiating.  Burial was in Maple Flats Cemetery. Arrangements were in charge of B. A. Sanborn and Son, Camden. A prayer service was held at 1:30 p.m. at Mrs. Clarissa Suits's home, with Elder Keith Burke officiating. Bearers were James, George, Robert and Chester Armstrong, Harold Audas and Albert Suits. Atttending were people form Albany, Central Square, Clinton, Elmira, Silver Springs, Md., Verona, Mattydale, Whitesboro. There were flowers from LaSalle Bros. Garage, neighbors, friends and relatives.

Camden Advance Journal:  Thursday, February 28, 1889
 This community was startled on the 19th of this month by the report that James Lambie, so long known among us, had died that morning.  So sudden was his death that very few knew even of his sickness, which was only of a few days duration.  His disease was thought to be appoplexy. We learn that he came with his father to this town from Scotland 57 years ago, and settled in what is known as Hillsboro, where he lived until about 3 years ago when he sold his farm and moved to one purchased on the Dunbar road, where with his wife as companion and coworder, he fitted up a very pleasant home, hoping as he expressed it to the writer, he might be spared many a year to enjoy the fruit of his labors, but his God whom he so faithfully served we believe, has taken him to a happier hom then man ever made. For years Mr. Lambie was known as a consistent christian gentleman, and the large gathering at his funeral on Saturday last in the Presbyterian church proved the respect and friendship with which he was held by all who knew him.  The sermon was preached by Rev. A. W. Allen, his pastor, from the text, "He giveth His beloved sleep."  Revs. C. H. Guile and M.L. Dalton assisted in the services. Mr. Lambie leaves a widow and six children to mourn his loss, and to them is extended the heartfelt sympathy of all who knew the husband and father, for like them we are afflicted in his removal from us.  May his mantle of charity and good will fall upon others who were blessed by the example he set of Christlikeness in more ways than one.

Camden Advance Journal:  February 18, 1904
Mrs. Lucinda Brace Lambie, a Life-Long Cititzen, In Her 84th Year.
 Mrs. Lucinda Brace Lambie, a life-long resident of Camden, passed into rest at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Isabel Crennan, on the Hillsboro road, last evening.  Mrs. Lambie was born in Camden, August 31, 1820.  She was married in 1842 to James Lambie and they settled on what is now the John Will place on the Hillsboro road.  They lived there until about 17 years ago when they moved to the farm they purchased on the Dunbar road now occupied by Mr. Jones.  Since the death of Mr. Lambie 14 years ago she has lived with her children, for the past three years her home being with Mrs. Crennan.  Mrs. Lambie leaves five daughters and one son to mourn the loss of a mother, they are Mrs. Isabel Crennan, Mrs. J. C. Price and Mrs. Charles Taylor of Camden; Mrs. Henry Kinney of Arkansas, Mrs. Effie Lockerby of Coldwater, Mich., and Gavin Lambie of Dryden, Arkansas.  She is also survived by 21 grandchildren.  Deceased had been a long-time member of the Presbyterian church, and was a christian lady whose memory will be cherished by a host of friends.  The funeral will be held Saturday at 1 o'clock, Rev. Richard Abbott to be the officiating clergyman.
 LAMBIE - In Camden, N.Y., February 17, 1904, Mrs. Lucinda Brace Lambie, widow of the late James Lambie, aged 83 years and nearly 6 months.

Camden Advance Journal:  March 30, 1916
Died Thursday Evening at Home of Daughter, Mrs. W. S. Fenton of Chittenango, and Remains Arrive Here Saturday --  Funeral Sunday Afternoon from the Crenan Homestead in Hillsboro.
  In Chittenango Thursday evening at 6:30 at the home of her daughter, Mrs. W. S. Fenton, occurred the death of Mrs. Isabelle J. Crenan.  Deceased was the third of eight children of the late James and Lucinda Brace Lambie and was born in Hillsboro May 13, 1846.  She was first married March 16, 1863 to Andrew W. Craig who died December of the same year while serving in the Civil War.  A son of Andrew L. Craig died in infancy.  June 9, 1875 she married Wm. H. Crenan and again became a widow Mar. 8, 1893.  Surviving her are three sons and two daughters, Claude J. of Syracuse, Leonard L. of New York city and William who resides on the homestead, Grace a teacher in New Rochelle and Mrs. Flossie Fenton of Chittenango who mourn the loss of a devoted mother.  She also leaves five grandchildren and the following sisters and one brother.  Mrs. Charlotte Kinney of Green Forest, Arkansas, Mrs. Jane Price and Mrs. Victoria Taylor of Camden and Mrs. Elsie Lockerby of Cold Water, Mich., and Guy Lambie of Egypt, Arkansas.  Mrs. Crenan was one of the charter members of the First Presbyterian church of Camden and although she transferred her membership to the Presbyterian church of Chittenango she was ever interested in the welfare of her home church.  She was much pleased when she learned that the church was to be rebuilt.  She was a woman who took great interest in the social life around her and with her husband were charter members of Camden Grange. The beautiful flowers and the many old friends who gathered at the family home in Hillsboro Sunday afternoon bore silent testimony of the esteem in which she was held by all.  She was a noble Christian woman and Mr. Colson's talk on Christian Motherhood seemed especially fitting.  John Cook rendered very beautifully three hymns -- "Father Knows, " "Lead Kindly Light" and "Beautiful Isle of Somewhere."  Mrs. Crenan was laid to rest in the family plot beside her husband in Forest Park cemetery. Although she had been in poor health for some time the end came suddenly and cast a gloom over the neighborhood where she had spent all the active years of her life.
CRENAN - In Chittenango, N.Y., March 23, 1916, Mrs. Isabelle J. Crenan, formerly of Camden, aged nearly 70 years.

Camden Advance Journal:  March 9, 1893
Death of W. H. Crenan
 W. H. Crenan, a respected resident of Hillsboro, this town, died at an early hour yesterday morning from the effects of creeping paralysis, with which trouble he had suffered for several years.  Mr. Crenan was 44 years old and had spent an unusually active life, and finally his health became broken down from overtaxed endurance.  He has spent the greater part of his life in the vicinity of Hillsboro, where his father still lives.  He was an excellent business man, qualified in all lines of work, as a thrifty farmer, a sucessful school teacher, which vocation he followed winters for nearly 25 years; and it is said that more teachers qualified under his instruction than usually falls to the good fortune of teachers.  In his dealings he was honest and fair with his fellowmen, all of whom respect his memory.  He had been married twice, his first wife was the eldest daughter of Henry Halstead.  His second marriage was with Mrs. Belle Craig, second daughter of the late James Lambie.  By his 1st wife he leaves one daughter, Miss Mame Crenan, and by his 2d marriage are five children who, with the devoted wife, his feeble father and mother and sister, Mrs. William Claxton, who resides in the west, are left to mourn the loss of a beloved husband, father, son and brother.  To each and all our sympathies are extended.  Funeral will be held at Thomas Crenan's Sunday, 1 p.m. and be conducted with Masonic honors.  He was a member of Philanthropic Lodge 164, and from time to time had served among its corps of officers.
 CRENAN - In this town, March 8, 1893, W. H. Crenan, aged 44 years and 9 months

Camden Advance Journal:  January 10, 1946
Claude J. Crenan Passes in Syracuse
 Claude J. Crenan of Syracuse died at St. Joseph's Hospital at 4:30 Monday afternoon, following a stroke of paralysis on Sunday.  Mr. Crenan was born in Camden September 18, 1884, a son of the late William H. and Isabelle Lambie Crenan.  He was graduated from Camden High School, attended Michigan State College and was graduated from Central City Business School.  He has been employed by Crucible Steel in Syracuse for many years and was at work Saturday.  In 1941 and 1942 he was master of Masonic Lodge 501, Syracuse.  He married May Audas of Camden in November, 1907, and is survived by his wife; a daughter, Mrs. Jean McCrea of New York; a son, Leonard Thomas Crenan, in service in Texas; a sister Mrs. Myron VanPatten of Litchfield, Mich., and two brothers, Leonard Crenan of Syracuse and Thomas W. Crenan of Camden.  The funeral service was held at 1 o'clock this afternoon at the Fairchild & Meek funeral home in Syracuse.  The body will be brought to Camden for interment in Forest Park Cemetery this afternoon.

Camden Advance Journal:  May 18, 1951
Leonard Crenan Dies At 63 in Fairmount
HILLSBORO, May 18 -- Leonard Lucius Crenan, a native of Hillsboro, died May 10 at his home, 102 Scott Avenue, Fairmount, after a long illness.  Mr. Crenan was born Aug. 14, 1887, a son of William H. and Isabel Lambie Crenan.  He graduated from Syracuse University in 1910.  He spent five years in Canada as an engineer in the construction of the trans-continental railway, and later worked in the tunnel under the East River in New York City. He was in military service in World War I, training at Fort Benjamin Harrison, Ind.  Upon his return from duty he entered the Highway department with the Syracuse Office, from which he retired after 30 years.  He is survived by his widow, the former Emily McCabe, of Brooklyn; one sister, Mrs. Myron VanPappen, Litchfield, Mich; one brother T. William Crenan of Camden; four nieces and two nephews.   Funeral services were held Saturday, May 12, and burial was in Assumption Cemetery, Syracuse.