The town of Vernon lies in the southwestern
border of the county and
was formed from the towns of Westmoreland and Augusta on
Febraury 17, 1802. The first town meeting was held in April of 1802 in the
home of David Tuttle. The town once held the principal village of the
Oneida Nation. Josiah Bushnell was the first white settler who located in the
town in 1794. Several settlers arrived in the town including John Sargent,
Zenas McEwen, Gideon Skinner, Ariel Lawrence, Sameul Shed, Thomas Gratton,
William De Land, Nathan Carter and Ezra May to name just a few.
Membership Roll, M.E. Church
1850 Sketch of Vernon in Rome Citizen
1812 - 1828
Old Letters Written from Vernon
"Rush Hour Vernon, 1951"
Rt. 5 facing east; building on left side is Masonic Temple
Picture submitted by Dan Touse
Village of Vernon - Corner of Rt. 5 and North Sconondoa St.