History of Oneida
County's Towns, Villages & Hamlets
A special thank you goes to Georgeann
for contributing this transcription from
"Our County and Its People" published 1896.
Blossvale (Sect 1 pg.
"What is now the Blossvale post-office,
in the south part of the town, was formerly located in the edge of Vienna
at what was called Pine Corners and went under that name. It was
removed to Taberg station on the railroad and given the name Blossvale,
from the prominent family of settlers there of that name. John Bloss
was the first postmaster. A little hamlet has grown up around the
station. F. and I. J. White are merchants here and the latter has
built and keeps a hotel."
Camroden (Sect 1 pg.
"Camroden post-office and the little
hamlet of that name is situated about three miles northerly from Floyd
Corners, where numbers of Welsh settlers located and gave it the peculiar
name. The post-office was established in 1872. Here is located
a Methodist church society organized about 1840, who built their present
church about 1866; services where held previous to that time in the building
that was subsequently used for the post office and residence of R. M. Williams.
The Welsh Congregational church at Camroden was originally under Presbyterian
authority and was organized about 1834. A church was erected north
of the present building, which was built in 1854."
Coleman's Mills (Sect
1 pg. 635)
"Coleman's Mills is a hamlet on Oriskany
Creek near the center of the town [Whitestown], where a saw and grist mill
are operated by William S. Reeder, who also has a store. A small
shoddy mill is carried on by W. N. Chrisman."
(Sect 1 pg. 477-478)
"Deansville is a pretty village in
the extreme northwest corner of the town [Marshall], and takes its name
from the Dean family. It has the only post-office in the town.
When the Chenango Canal was constructed through this town, as described
in Chapter XXI, it gave the inhabitants considerable encouragement, and
readier access to distant markets. The village of Deansville is on
the line of the canal and most of its growth dates from that time.
What was formerly the Utica, Clinton and Binghamton Railroad passes through
the village and is, of course, of greater utility than the canal ever was.
William Northrup settled in the village in 1833, and the post office was
established about the same time, with Thomas Dean postmaster. The
name of the post-office was changed in 1894 to Deansboro. John Wilmott
opened the first store in a building erected by himself, and in which George
B. and Orville B. Northrup (sons of William) were in trade in later years.
George Barker was the second merchant in the place, and built the store
occupied later by Fairbank & Van Vechten. Royal M. Northrup,
brother of William, kept a hotel in 1849-50
on the Utica and Clinton plank road, then just completed; it was situated
half a mile north of Deansville, over the Kirkland line. William
Northrup probably kept the first hotel in the village; it stood on the
site of the later Hamilton House, and was burned. The Hamilton House
was built by William Hamilton in 1875-6. A hotel was kept at one
period by Harvey Curtiss. The old grist mill at Deansville was built
by Asa Dick about 1836. It was afterwards converted into a distiliery
and operated by a stock company. Still later it was changed back
to a grist mill.
The Deansville Cemetery Association
was organized about 1860, and owns a fine tract of about three and one-half
acres in the town of Kirkland just north of Deansville, which has been
laid out with excellent taste."
Hawkinsville and Williamsville
From ROMAN CITIZEN newspaper, Rome, Oneida
County, New York, Wednesday, August 7, 1850
The Black River Feeder
The Feeder from the Black River is 9 miles
in length, connecting with the Black River Canal at the flourishing village
of Boonville, and running northeast to the head at a new village called
Three miles North of Boonville the village
of Hawkinsville is building on the East and West side of the Black River;
it has a fine water power, owned by A. Blake of Brooklyn, who has a Grist
and Saw Mill, and will soon erect other buildings for manufacturing purposes.
On the East side of the river is a building for a Woolen Factory.
There are two Stores in the village; a large amount of lumber is deposited
at Hawkinsville for shipment in the Eastern Marker; over one hundred and
thirty boats have already loaded on the Feeder with lumber and wood, and
the business is constantly on the increase. The tract of land North
is new and heavily timbered, and will all find a market through the Feeder
and Canal; its business on the Canal in another year will be more than
fourfold, and increase from year to year as the Canal is finished.
Six miles above, at the head of the Feeder,
where the water is taken from the Black River, stands Williamsville --a
place that is new in appearances, and growing. The State has built
a splendid dam here to turn the water into the Feeder. The upper
dam is eighteen feet high, and the lower one ten, making as fine a site
for manufacturing purposes as could be wished for; it is owned by a company
who intend to improve it for that purpose. At present there are three
Saw Mills in constant operation; one of the mills has three gangs of saws,
doing a heavy amount of lumbering. Boats load in the river above
the mills, where there is beautiful stone dock and every facility for loading
and unloading that could be wished for.
This village, being at the head of navigation
on the Feeder, can be made a place of business. It has already some
fine buildings for stores and dwellings; the country west of it is a rich
farming country. Northeast lies White Lake, six miles, and about
that a Swiss settlement, their crops looking well. The land good
thus far, beyond John Brown's Tract, well timbered most of it, and for
generations to come, will be a great lumbering district. Alder Creek
crosses the Utica Plank Road one mile west of the village, and heads three
miles west in the town of Steuben, and on the same farm heads Stringer's
Creek, emptying into the Mohawk near Judge Comstocks in Western, making
eight miles from Williamsville as level a grade for the Plank Road talked
of being made, as can be found in the couny, making in the whole from Williamsville
to Rome, 18 miles, and you pass through as rich farming country as the
The localities for business charge in new
places as facilities for intercourse with larger places becomes quick and
of easy access, making it important that Rome should still continue the
same liberal policy she has been using for years past in building the Plank
Roads, in order that every part of the country, as easy and natural scenes
to this place, might be induced to make it their place of resort for pleasure
and for business.
(Section 1 page 593-4)
The village of McConnellsville
is situated in the north part of the town on Fish Creek. It takes
its name from Joseph McConnell, and early settler at this point.
A post-office was established here about 1812, in which William Smith was
probably the first postmaster; he was succeeded previous to 1814 by Friend
Morse. Joseph McConnell became a settler in
October, 1814, and was also one of the early
postmasters, as was also Dean Wood. Isaac Cook built the first tavern
in the village, which he sold to Ambrose Jones. Mr. Cook also sold
goods in the early history of the place, but the first merchant of much
importance was Harvey Smith; another was a Mr. Brookins. A store
is now kept by Lansing Tuttle. The old Cook tavern was a double log
building and long ago disappeared. The hotel on the old site is now
kept by Theodore Christian. A saw mill was built here in 1801 which
was owned by a company composed of William Smith, Timothy Halstead and
others. The mill was erected by Mr.
Hammill, who also built the next year the bridge over Fish Creek on the
Rome road, William Smith built a grist mill about 1804. The saw mill
is now operated by Charles Harden and has been for many years. Another
saw mill near by is carried on by Hubbard Bros., on a site where there
has been a mill many years. It was and now is operated by Lansing
A small wintergreen distillery
was established here more than twenty years ago, which is now operated
by Theodore Christian, who is also postmaster. A large chair factory
was established here about ten years ago by C. Harden & Son, and is
now operated by the son, F.S. Harden. Nearly forty hands are employed.
A canning facotry was
established many years ago by Lansing Tuttle. A large one of later
years is carried on by Theodore Christian.
"Point Rock is
a post office in the extreme northwest corner of the town [of Lee], and
takes its name from a precipitous rocky point between Fish and Point Rock
Creeks. The place was long a considerable lumber center for some
years, with a store, a tavern and a few dwellings. D.C. Smith and
Charles Wick are the present merchants."
State Bridge (Sect 1
"State Bridge is a post office on
the canal near Durhamville. A store is kept by Webb Potter and a
hotel by Michael Dunn."
the noted summer resort which is partly in this town [town of Vienna] and
partly in Verona, has gained a wide reputation within the past fifteen
years. It is located at the east end of Oneida Lake. Many years
ago some of the members of the Oneida Community went there for the summer,
leased some land and erected temporary buildings; this was the inception
of the settlement there. L.C. Spencer at a later date opened a small
grocery for the accommodation of fishermen and hunters who began to visit
the locality. At a still later date a citizen of Oneida purchased
the most desirable tract of about two acres which he sold within a few
years for $3,200, clearing $3,000. L.C. Spencer built the public
house called Forest Home which is now kept by his son-in-law, F.B. Randall.
Other hotels that have rapidly come into use to
accommodate the crowds of summer patrons
are the Algonquin, built by Stoddard & Garvin; the Hotel Oneida, the
Sylvan Beach Hotel, the Oneida Lake Hotel, the Lake Beach Hotel, the Riverside
Hotel, and the Sportsman's Home, built in 1895. Several small steamers
are kept busy at the place during summer months, and C.C. Clifford keeps
a store and is postmaster.
Some of the prominent farmers of this
town, past and present, are:
Joseph Halstead, father
of John, Chauncey and George Brodock, Lansing and Isaac Seeley, Otis Wheelock,
Lansing Baker, Peter Coats, son of James, John and Allen Nichols, the Yager
family, James Brown, Daniel and William Bagnell, George W. Matthews, William
Wright, John B. Dixou, Nathan Auchard, Henry Nash, Lucius Haskins, Edward
McCormick, William Rae, John Hall, Eaton Beach, J.J. Dickinson, George
Myers, Henry Manchester, Joshua Parker, and others."
The History of Oneida County, New York 1667
- 1878 on page 626 under the Town of Whitestown contains the following
"Walesville is a village
in the southwest part of the town, also on Oriskany Creek, and is the seat
of several manufacturing establishments, none of which are at present (April,
1878) in operation. They consist of a cotton-mill, belonging to the Clark
Cotton Company, and a paper-mill, owned by Halsey Brothers. The cotton-mill
is stripped of its machinery, and the paper-mill has been idle since the
summer of 1877; at the latter wrapping-paper was the principal manufacture.
The village contains a post office (postmaster, Hawley Peck), a store (located
in the building formerly used as a tavern), a blacksmith-shop, a cheese
factory, and a Baptist Church. A wadding-mill which stood in the lower
part of the village was destroyed by fire at a recent date. "
"The village of Washington
Mills is situated on Sauquoit Creek about two miles above New Hartford.
Frederick Hollister was a business man of Utica, who had been associated
in the drug trade there in what was known as "the checkered store."
Isaac Mason had established a mill on the site of Washington Mills, which
Mr. Hollister purchased in 1840. This was burned and rebuilt by him,
and was also painted in colors, giving the local name of "Checkerville"
to the place. The second mill, which was of stone, was also burned,
with little insurance, and the loss was heavy. But Mr. Hollister
had unbounded energy and the firm of Hollister & Stanton built again
a large frame mill, to which was given the name "Washington Mill."
This ultimately became the property of A.T. Stewart of New York and is
still owned by his estate; it is idle. The post-office was established
here between 1840 and 1850, and Adna Ingham was one of the earlier postmasters
holding the office fifteen years.
A hoe and fork factory was established
here in 1865 by Babcock, Brown & Co.; the firm was afterwards Huntley
& Babcock. The product for some years reached $100,000 annually.
The property is now owned by the Utica Tool Co., in which C.H. Philo and
Ladd J. Lewis are prominent, and a successful business is carried on.
A cotton factory was built in district
No. 2 at this town, by Dr. Seth Capron, of Oriskany, the Sewards, of Utica,
and others, about 1814-1815; Dr. Capron was the leader in the enterprise,
which became known as the Capron factory. The property ultimately
passed to E.B. Sherman & Co., and a little later to C. C. and H. M.
Taber, cotton brokers in New York. This firm took the factory about
1865, and carried it on successfully. It finally passed to the Utica
Cotton Company and continues in operation. William H. Cloher is superintendent.
In early years there was a paper mill
and a saw mill at this point, erected by Seward, Kellogg, and others.
They have passed away. A knitting mill was established a few years
ago by the Capron Knitting Mill Co. William H. Cloher is largely
interested in this business. The post-office here is named Capron.
A store is kept by Joshua Hagan."
"The hamlet and post-office of Yorkville
lies between Whitesboro and New York Mills and is substantially a continuation
of the latter. It was here that the first grist mill was built, as
before noted, but it long ago disappeared. There has always been
a small mercantile business done here, and at the present time John N.
Cole carries on an extensive business. Robert Cooper has a general
store, Charles P. Stone conducts a millinery business, and G.M. Relyea
a hardware store."