Send in Your Obituary Information

Oswego Palladium, June 28, 1879
Old Zack. Barnes.
Death of the Most Notable Man in the Early History of Boating on the Erie - The Murderer of Van Schaik and His Eventful Life.
Zachariah Barnes died in Forestport, Oneida county, a few days ago, aged about 67 years. Zack. Barnes was one of the earliest and most noted boatmen on the Erie Canal, when life on the erie was one of adventure and hard knocks.
Our townsman, Chester Penfield, contributes the following history of Barnes, which involves also some interesting reminiscences of early boating on the Erie:
The death of Zachariah Barnes, when it came to the notice of the writer, revived old recollections, the earliest of which was in the year 1832 in the town of Westmoreland, Oneida county, in a place called Spencer Settlement, three miles southeast from Rome - a place where a large number of boatmen lived.
In this place lived Zachariah Barnes and boarded with his brother, james, a farmer. Zack, as he was called, followed the canal summers and boarded with his brother winters. He was a powerful man physically, standing 6 feet 4 inches tall, with broad chest, small waist, long arms and a wonderful ability to use his feet for self defense, leaving very little for his hands to do in a fight.
It was noted that he would stand very close to a man when in an altercation and with the utmost ease kick him in the face. As fighting was a common practice in the early history of the Erie Canal, he became noted among boatmen as the champion. Zack had accumulated a little competence by saving and industry, and bought a small farm. He was temperate in his habits and had formed the acquaintance of a respectable young lady and was expecting after the close of the canal in the fall of 1834 to be married; but an evil spirit brooded over his destiny in a fight with a man named Daniel Van Schaik of New London, Oneida county. He killed Van Schaik and went to Rome and surrendered himself to the sheriff.
He was tried for murder and defended by Joshua Spencer and Henry A. Foster; was convicted of manslaughter in he third degree and was fined $1,000, which his brother paid for him, taking the farm. This event changed the whole history of this man.
The young lady refused to marry him, and remained single, but died a few years later with a broken heart. Barnes took to drink and tried to drown the recollection of the Rome swamp tragedy. Following the canal for several years, with an increasing appetite for drink, he became at last incapable of following the occupation of inland navigator, had to leave the canal, and at last yielded to the king of terrors.
Such is a brief outline of a character who was widely known among the old boatmen and old citizens of Oneida county. The numerous incidents of his erratic career are well known to old boatmen that it would be useless to recount them; but one showing his prominent trait of kindness to the poor, may be mentioned.
He was a strong wrestler, and on one occasion he desired to assist a poor widow to buy a cow. So he accepted a challenge to wrestle the champion in that section for $25, the stakes, if won, to be given to the poor woman to buy a cow. He won the match, dislocating his opponent's ankle. The stakeholder bought the poor woman a cow and barrel of flour with the money.
Zack never married, having sworn a vow after the Van Schaik murder and the result it had on his engagement with the young woman, that he would never marry, and which he kept. He was for many years the notable figure among Erie Canal boatmen, who in spite of his failings, will be sorry to hear that he is dead.
Richard Palmer

Rome Sentinel, February 3, 1880
Death of Rev. Lyman Beach – Indian Missionary – Methodist Clergyman in Rome in 1828, when the First M.E. Church was built – End of a long useful life.
Rev. Lyman Beach died at the residence of his son, John Beach, at Knoxboro, Friday of last week, aged 87 years.  The funeral services will be held at Knoxboro Wednesday, at 11 a.m. and the body will be buried in the Verona Cemetery Wednesday afternoon, by the side of the remains of his wife, who died seven years ago.  Our Verona correspondent writes:  Mr. Beach was born in Wallingford, Conn., Dec. 25, 1792.  He was married to Patty Doolittle in 1811.  In 1816 he and his family moved to Stockbridge, N. Y., where he made a home in the wilderness and among the Indians.  Mr. Beach was self-educated, and prior to 1828 he acted as a missionary among the Indians, and as local preacher and exhorter in Oneida and Madison counties.  In 1828, he was appointed to the Rome circuit, and during this year the First M.E. Church at the foot of Court Street, Rome, was erected and dedicated by him, assisted by Rev. Alexander Irwin.  In 1829, he was sent to Camden, N.Y. and in 1880 was changed to the Oneida Conference, and sent to Lebanon, N.Y.  In 1832-’33 at Brookfield; 1834-’35, Norwich; 1836-’37, Westmoreland; 1838-’39, Litchfield; 1840-’41, Deansville and Clinton; 1842, Sangerfield; 1843-’44, Augusta; 1846, Smyrna; 1847, Hamilton; 1848-’49, Brookfield; 1850, Onondaga; 1851 Onondaga Mission; 1852, Camillus; 1853-’54, Lowell; 1855, Westmoreland; 1857, Bennett’s Corners and Indian Mission.  He entered the ministry at the age of 20 years, going from place to place on horseback with saddle-bags behind him.  He was a power in the early days of the church, and many weak societies in this and adjoining counties built houses of worship, increased in strength and grew in influence through his zeal in the cause of religion.  His manner as a preacher was forcible, and many Verona people will remember the orthodox and convincing sermons he has preached when supplying the M.E. pulpit in Verona.  He maintained extreme views in religion and politics, and his old acquaintances will remember his radical discussions of the political questions of the day.  Born a Democrat, he at all times defended his political opinions with the same earnestness in which he expounded his religion.  About 15 years of his life were spent in Verona after his retirement from active service in the ministry, until within a few years.  Mr. Beach had been very active for one of his age, but had gradually failed for a year or more.  “Father Beach,” as he was familiarly called, was a pensioner of the war of 1812,  in which he served as a musician.  In his later years he delighted to play upon the fife and drum, and many of the embers of the old 101st Regiment of the National Guard of 1864-1865 will remember a tall, erect old gentleman 72 years of age, with long white hair, marching at the head of Co. II at all parades, with either fife or drum.  Mr. Beach leaves nine children:  Rev. Whiting Beach, Lyman and Charles Beach and Mrs. Voorhees of Mansfield, PA.; Chauncey Beach and Mrs. Spaulding, of Fort Atkinson, Wis., Mrs. Dann of Verona; John Beach of Knoxboro, NY,, and Mrs. Rev. Wm. E. York, of Stockbridge, NY.  Thus has passed away one of the eldest residents of the county, one of the pioneers of this section, and one who exerted a powerful influence for good.
Joanne Scheible Hurst

Rome Sentinel, January 30, 1871
BEACH, Patty
Died at Verona, January 21, 1871, Patty, the wife of the Rev. Lyman Beach, a member of the New York Central Conference, aged 78 years.  She experienced religion in her youthful days, and maintained the Christian character to the last.  She was the mother of eleven children, ten of whom are heads of families, and nine are still living; about eighty grand-children, and thirty-six great-grand-children.  Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord.
L. Beach
Joanne Scheible Hurst

Rome, Nov. 1--Mrs. Albert Beckwith died Monday at her home, 850 West Dominick Street. Her maiden name was Mabel Evans. She was born in Green-[deleted] March 3, 1887, coming to Rome 10 years ago. On October 24, 1906, she married Mr. Beckwith. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Dean S. Bedford, pastor of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, of which [the] deceased was a member, and a faithful worker in the church and Sunday school. During her residence in Rome she made a great many friends who were deeply grieved to learn of her death. Surviving are her husband and an infant son and her foster parents, Mr. and Mrs. Carlos Williams, of this city The funeral was largely attended at the church this afternoon.
The funeral of Mrs. Albert Beckwith was held from her late home, 850 W. Dominick Street, at 1:30 p.m. today and at the Wesleyan Methodist Church at 2 o'clock. The services were conducted by Rev. Dean S. Bedford. The bearers were Fre[d] Beckwith, Jesse Beckwith, James Hawkins, William Roe, George Jon[deleted] and Ralph Williams. Interment was made in Rome Cemetery.
Note: From a family scrapbook. Clipping probably from the Rome Sentinel, year probably c. 1900-1904. A picture of Mabel is included.
Cynthia Richardson

From an unnamed and undated New York newspaper:   LEE
  Delta, Aug. 7 -- Betsy, wife of Nathan Bellinger, died yesterday afternoon, of cancer or tumor in the abdomen, aged 51 years.  Mrs. Bellinger was taken sick some nine or ten weeks ago.  A doctor was called, and on examination said the patient had a tumor.  Another doctor pronounced the disease a cancer.  Her sickness was attended with continued and almost spasmodic pains.  Mrs. Bellinger was the youngest child of the late George Potter of Floyd, and sister of G.B. Potter of Western, Mrs. Clark Mace of Boonville, and Mrs. John Spink of Glenmore.  Mrs. B. embraced the Christian religion in her youth.  She united with the M.E. Church and was a consistent and exemplary member to the last.  She was an excellent neighbor and a kind and indulgent mother.  She leaves a husband and two daughters, Jennie and Mary, to mourn their loss.  The funeral will be held at the house at 10 o'clock A.M. on Saturday, the 10th inst.
Submitted by Dawna Holst

BELL, Hugh Harrison
Amador Dispatch  6-25-1881, Plymouth, Amador Co., CA
Hugh Bell, Sr. was born in Oneida County, New York Aug 15 1800. He was the youngest child of a family of five, three boys and two girls. In 1818 he left New York going to Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, in each of which he resided for a short period, remaining in the latter something over two years.  The year 1824 found him, in Washington county, MO. Here he married and remained until early in the spring of 1849 when he emigrated to California with his family, crossing the plains with an ox team. On the 5th of September, 1849, he pitched his tent upon Long's Bar on the Feather River in Butte, Co. He remained in Butte county until early in the spring of 1854 when he moved with his family to Drytown in this county, where he had the misfortune to get his broken by a ficious mule which he was trying to bridle. Owing to the incompetence of the two surgeons who attended him he remained a perminent cripple, they pronouncing his leg only sprained when in reality the thigh bone was broken just below the head of the femores or femor (thigh bone).He held the office of associate judge of this county for three consecutive terms.  In 1876 he was nominated by the Democrats for the office of Supervisor of this district, and notwithstanding the district was considerable Republican he was beaten by his opponent only be three votes.
Submitted by George W. Ackerman 2g grandson of Hugh H. Bell

Rome Daily Sentinel, Monday 23 May 1898
 Oneida, May 23 - Mrs. Betsy Belshaw of this town, widow of John Belshaw, died on Saturday. Mrs. Belshaw was a native of Schoharie county, aged 78 years, and had been a resident of Verona since 1831. She had been ill since last fall, suffering from a complication of diseases, but had been under the care of a physician for only about two weeks.  She was the daughter of Mrs. Poll Near, who died about ten years ago, aged 102 years.  The nearest relative is a brother, Calvin Near, living in Michigan.  Mrs. Belshaw was a member of the Methodist Church at Verona.
Darlene Utter

CATHERINE WELCH BENNETT - Saturday Evening Post - June 21, 1913
Catherine Welch Bennett, widow of Thomas J. Bennett, an aged and hightly esteemed resident of the city passed away very suddenly Tuesday, June 17, 1913 at her home, 37 Buffalo Street. Her son, David passed away about four months ago and this was a great shock to the aged mother. She never recovered from the loss of her son and death finally came as a relief to her sorrow.
Mrs. Bennett was born in County Kerry, Ireland 81 years ago. At the age of 17 she came to this country and in 1851 she married Mr. Bennett near Albany. Ten years later the couple moved to Westmoreland, where they resided until 30 years ago, when they came to Utica. Mrs. Bennett was a member of St. Agnes Church. She was a true wife and mother who found all her pleasure in her home. Her death is mourned by a wide circle of friends. Surviving are six sons, John, William, Andrew, James, Edward and Frank Bennett all of Utica; four daughters, Mrs. Ellen Dwyer, Mrs. Catherine Taylor and Miss Mary Bennett, all of this city, and Mrs. Margaret Hazelton, of Saranac Lake; 10 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren. The funeral was held from her late home yesterday morning and the later from St. Agnes Church, where Rev. Father Hayes celebrated a high mass of requiem. Burial was made in Clinton.
Karen Dwyer

BERNHOLZ, Agnes Loretta
Rome Daily Sentinel 24 Jan 1972
Mrs. Bernholz dies; funeral is tomorrow
Mrs. Francis A. Bernholz, 65, of 131 W. Wright St., died Saturday in Rome Hospital where she had been a patient for two weeks.
     The former Agnes L. Netzband, she was born in Rome Nov. 19, 1906, daughter of William H. and Elizabeth O'Mara Natzband. She and Mr. Bernholz were married in Rome Aug. 28, 1928. He died in August, 1959.
     Mrs. Bernholz was a member of St. Peter's Chuch.
     Surviving are three sons, William F. Bernholz, Joseph E. Bernholz and Ronald J. Bernholz, all of Rome; three sisters, Mrs. Robert D. Chapman, Hyde Park, Vt; Mrs. Francis J. Waller, Rome, and Mrs. Robert K. Banes, Oneida, and three grandchildren.
     Funeral services will be Tuesday at 10:15 at the Griffin & Aldridge Funeral Home and at 10:45 at St. Peter's Church where a Mass of the Resurrection will be offered. Interment will be in St. Peter's Cemetery.
     Calling hours at the funeral home will be 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 today.
Sent by - Cheryl Waterman

From Rome Ny paper, 1907
Rome, Oct. 4- John Betsinger, one of the best-known and most highly-esteemed residents of Delta, died at his home there
Sunday night.  He was born March 19, 1834, in the town of Steuben, being one of five children of Jacob Betsinger and Sarah Mower Betsinger, of whom Abraham Betsinger, of Waverly, Ia is the only survivor.  The prents were Mohawk Dutch and came to this section from Herkimer County.  With the exception of 12 years the deceased had passed all of his life in Delta.  He built and owned the cheese factory at Whitesboro, known as the William Evans factory.  On November 18, 1858, Mr. Betsinger married Jane Vandewalker.  He was a member of the Methodist Church.  Surviving are one daughter, Mrs. Charles Millington, who kept house for her father, and the brother mentioned.
David & Linda McCann

from newspaper clipping from Heintz Funeral Home
Utica, N.Y.
Carl E. F. Beyer, 73, of 2112 Whitesboro St. died March 30, 1959, in St. Elizabeth hospital after a brief illness.He was born June 30, 1885, in Utica, son of Frank and Augusta Kammradt Beyer and was educated in local schools. He married Ella Tayler in Utica in 1918, she died in 1950.Mr. Beyer was a Protestant.He leaves two daughters, Mrs. Donald Collver, Whitesboro and Mrs. Henry Mitchell, Schuyler Corners; three sons, Robert and Richard, both of Whitesboro and Herman, Yorkville; 18 grandchildren. The funeral will be at 10:30 Thursday from the Heintz Funeral Home, 1517 Whitesboro St., with the Rev. Arthur R. Kleps, pastor of Trinity Luthern Church officiating.Burial will be in Forest Hill Ccemetery.
Floyd Cmela

From newspaper clippings from Heintz Funeral Home Utica,N.Y.
Yorkville---Carl Frank Beyer, 23; 12 Dudley, who served with Army's amphibious forces for three year's prior to his discharge last January,died Oct. 24, 1946, at the Veteran's Facility at Batavia. He had been ill since last April. The former soldier, who was overseas in the Pacific Theater for two years, was born in Sauquoit on Jan. 24,1923, son of Carl E. and Ella Tyler Beyer. Besides his parents he is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Donald Collver, Yorkville, Mrs. Lewis Phipps, Utica; three brothers, Robert and Richard Beyer of Yorkville, and Pvt. Herman Beyer, serving in the Army in Panama, two neices and a nephew.
Floyd Cmela

Mrs. Jane Charles Beyer
Source: Utica O.D.-March18, 2001
 Mrs. Jane Charles Beyer, age 70, passed away peacefully in the arms of her loving husband, March 2, in her Escondido, California, home. Originally from Utica, she was born November 26, 1930, to the late Caradoc and Emma Richer Charles. She received her education in the Utica schools. On September 24, 1949, she married Herman H. Beyer at Trinity Luthern Church, a union that would last 51 years.Mrs. Beyer is survived by her husband, Herman, and three daughters in California, Mrs. Scott (Gail) Renninger, Heraldsburg, Mrs. Ron (Nancy) Pribble, Escondido, and Mrs. Scott (Lorraine) Chandler, Windsor; nine grandchildren, Mrs. Mandy Renninger Hodgdon, Santa Rosa, Brandon and Julia Renninger,Heraldsburg, Ron, Alex, Nicholas and Jake Pribble, Escondido,and Blake and Miles Chandler, Windsor; a sister and brother-in-law, Mr.and Mrs. Edward (Joyce) Evans, Lake George,N.Y.; a sister-in-law and her husband, Mr. and Mrs. Donald (Ethel) Collver, Zephyrills, Florida; and a brother-in-law and his wife, Mr.and Mrs. Richard (Doris) Beyer, Whitesboro. She also leaves several nieces, nephews and cousins. Two brothers, Gilbert and Robert Charles, predeceased Mrs. Beyer. Jane was a devoted wife ,mother and grandmother who enjoyed gardening,crafts, painting and time spent with her beloved family. A private family service was held in Escondido march 3rd.
Floyd Cmela

O.D. Dec. 13,1938--p.29
Mrs. Frank J. Beyer, a resident of Clinton for the past year,died in a local hospital yesterday. Her maiden name was Augusta Kammerad and she was born in Germany June 13,1857,daughter of Ernest and Josephine Stentley Kammerad. She came to this country and Utica in 1870 and resided here until she went to Clinton to live. She was married in 1884. She attended St. Paul's Luthern Church. In addition to her husband,she is survived by a son Carl, Yorkville; a brother Charles Kammerad, Rome; a sister Mrs. Louisa Hapel, Ilion, and seven grandchildren.
Floyd Cmela

BIDDLECOME, Mrs. Harriet
Utica Morning Herald, 31 Dec. 1889
"Mrs. Harriet Pratt Biddlecome died at the residence of her granddaughter, Mrs. John S. Smith, No. 137 John St., yesterday, aged 91 years.  The deceased was born in Cheshire, Mass. on July 22, 1798, and was a descendant of one of
the men who came to America in the Mayflower.  When she was six years old, her parents removed to Deerfield where they settled and began farming.  The site of Utica was then a swamp and was considered worthless land.  This Deerfield farm became known as the Hall or Leland Farm.  Mrs. Biddlecome's father died in 1840 and her mother two years later.  When she was 20 years old, she was married to Orrin Biddlecome, a farmer of Deerfield.  Her husband died when she was 33 years of age.  Eight children were born to the union, of whom Mrs. Ignatius Meyers of Utica, Mrs. Daniel Stone of Deerfield, and Nelson Biddlecome of Menekaunee, Wisc., survive; 18 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren are now living.  For 70 years, she lived in the old farm house to which her husband took her as a bride until 1888 when she removed to the residence of John S. Smith of this city where she has since made her home.  She is the last of the original roll of the Deerfield Baptist Church of which she was a member for 50 years.  She always had the best of health until three or four years ago, when she fell and broke her knee-pan.  She was able to do her housework until her 85th year.  She had a wonderful, good
memory and enjoyed talking of scenes and incidents in her early life.  Her husband was a soldier in the War of 1812."
Note:  Harriet Pratt Biddlecome's parents were Jonathan and Rachel (Dean) Pratt. She is a descendant of Matthew Pratt who came to this country about 1623 and settled in Weymouth, Mass.  Her husband, Orrin Biddlecome, is descended from Thomas Biddlecome of Warwick, R.I..  I have not found a Mayflower connection. Thomas, his son, Daniel, and grandson, Orrin are all buried in the Old Whitney Cemetery, Utica, while Harriet Pratt Biddlecome was buried in the cemetery of the Deerfield Baptist Church.
Ruth Glenister -

James Bingham, d. May 22, 1910 in Rome Sentinel Point Rock, May 23-- James Bingham an esteemed resident of this town, died at 5 am Sunday at his home
in Frenchtown, aged 76 years. His health had been poor the last two years and he had been confined to bed the last two months. He was born in France Dec. 25, 1833, and he came to this county with his brother George in 1853. On Dec. 12, 1859, he married Jane Reynolds , and three months after his marriage he moved on to the farm where he died. Four children were born to them, two of whom, with the wife, survive, Mrs. John Castle, who lives at home, and Mrs. Charles Castle of Stokes.  Two Nephews, George and Joseph Bingham live in Rome.
Marsha Petrie

Deansboro (Rome paper 5/1/1833) > Funeral Services are held for C.M. Bingham, Deansboro, May 1. Private funeral services were held this afternoon for C.M.
Bingham, 79, who died Saturday after a short illness. Mr. Bingham was born May 1, 1854, at Oriskany Falls, a son of the late Henry and Hannah Winthrop Bingham. On January 27, 1886 he was married to Ella R. Tharp of Forestport. He was a merchant and was a member of the M.E. Church.  Surviving besides his widow is a son Lynn, and six grandchildren.
Marsha Petrie

Taken from the Rochester American
"Died- In Wheatfield, Monroe County, on the 26th of March 1848, Joseph Blackmer, Esq. in the eighty-first year of his age.  He was born in Kent, Litchfield County, Connecticut, October 2, 1767; his parents removed with him when about three years of age to New Marlbourough, Berkshire Co., Mass., where he resided until he arrived at manhood; he was married in early life, and in  February, 1787 removed to the Town of Westmoreland, Oneida County, which was then an almost unbroken wilderness.  He here and his associates endured hardships and privations in subduing the obstacles of a new country, which seldom been experienced in later years.  In 1808 he removed to Wheatland, where he resided the last forty years.  His mind was well informed by reading, and he was a close observer.  He has done much to sustain civil and religious institutions and education-has filled the office of justice of the peace and assistant judge, and various offices of trust, and may emphatically be denominated a public spirited man.  He died respected and esteemed."

BLAIR, Elizabeth
Funeral Notice:
BLAIR - In Vernon, Feb. 26, 1877, Elizabeth A. BLAIR, wife of Alton T. BLAIR, aged 29 years.

BLAZIER, Mrs. Delia
Mrs Delia Blazier Dies After an Hour's Illness
North Western, March 21 [1904] - Mrs Delia Blazier, 72 years old, died suddenly this morning at the home of her sister, Mrs Lester Clemmens on Webster Hill.  She was taken ill at 4 o'clock and died one hour later. Death was caused by heart trouble.
     Mrs Blazier was the widow of Andrew Blazier who died twenty years ago.  She was the daughter of Freeman Burch, was born in the town of Western and has always lived here.
     Surviving are four sisters, Mrs Merritt [Eunice] Hall of Westernville, Mrs Lambert Risley [Elizabeth] and Mrs George Croup and Mrs Lester  [Emily M] Clemmons of North Western, James Burch and Darius Burch of Hillside."
[Note: Freeman Burch m Almira Gillett, daughter of Ebenezer & Elizabeth Keech Gillett.  Darius m as 2nd wife Marcia Blazier, sister of Andrew.]
Dan Touse

Miss Clara Boes, 43 Paris rd was found dead Mar. 9, 1939 in her home. A daughter of the late Mr and Mrs John Martin Boes,   she was educated in the Utica schools and for many years had been a dressmaker. Survivors include a sister, Mrs. Charles Pfeifer, Utica, and three brothers, William M, Los Angeles, Fred, Chicago and Frank, New York. Funeral services from the Gordon funeral Home to Forest Hills. Services were held in the beautiful Conservatory, recently demolished.
Dave & Deb

BOES-in this city, Tuesday, May 31, 1881, of scarlet fever and diptheria, Bennie Charles Boes, youngest son of J.M and Bertha Boes, aged 5 years and 25 days.
Dave & Deb

Frank C Boes, 95 , of Mt Vernon, MD, a retired civil engineer for the City of New York, died Thursday in the Salisbury Health Care Center after a long illness.
He was born in Ithaca , NY. His wife, Mrs. Marian M Boes, died in 1969.  Mr. Boes was an alumnus of Clarkson College, Pottsdam, NY, an avid wildlife enthusiast and fellow and life-member of the American Society of Civil Engineers. A daughter was the late Mrs. Marian Romary of Ithaca. Surviving are one grandson, three great-grandchildren and one nephew. Funeral services were held at 1 pm in the Hinman Funeral Home, Princess Anne, with the Rev. Robert Kurt officiating. Internment was in Grace Episcopal Cemetary.  (Frank Boes was brother of  Helen Boes Pfeifer- DWR)
Dave & Deb

BOOTH, James T.
From an unnamed and undated New York newspaper:
   Utica, Oct. 24 -- At the home of his son, No. 8 Eagle Street, yesterday morning, died James T. Booth, an old and highly respected resident of Utica.  James Thompson Booth was born in Grant, Herkimer county, February 22, 1825 and as a young man worked in a tannery at Remsen.  Later for years he drove stage between Remsen and Utica.  In 1857 he located in Utica and has resided here ever since.  For forty years he carried on a very successful carting business, retiring two years ago on account of ill health.  At Floyd, in 1852, he married Miss Sophia C. Draper, who died three years ago.  He leaves one son, George W. Booth of the firm of Pike, Madoc & Booth, and two sisters, Miss Huldah Booth of Remsen, and Miss Sarah R. Booth of Marion, Va.

BOWNE, Nancy
 Obituary: Nancy Bowne, widow of Richard Bowne, died at New Hartford, near Utica, on Sunday last.  The remains will be brought here for burial this Wednesday.  She and her husband formerly resided in Morris, he being a son of Joseph Bowne, the great Friends preacher of a past generation.  Richard Bowne and his wife had five sons, of which number the late Isaac Bowne. Mrs. Bowne lived to see her husband and all of her sons die, and now at a great age follows them over the river. "Morris Chronicle" late 1895?      Nancy's maiden name was Caffrey (Caffery?)and I believe she lived to be at least 90 yrs.
Susan Spurgeon

BOYD, Catherine (Vandewalker)
Utica Daily Press, Friday Morning, October 5, 1900, page 8, col. 4
 Mrs. Catherine BOYD, widow of the late Chauncey BOYD, died at her home Wednesday morning, over 91 years of age.  Her maiden name was Catherine Vandewalker, and she was married to Chauncey BOYD in March 1831, and since that time had lived in the same house to which she went as a bride.  Five children survive her, Rev. Squire BOYD, of Middlesex, Mrs. R.D. PHILLIPS of Morton, Minnesota, Mrs. A.R. STONE of Branchport, New York, Mrs. Charlotte CUMMINGS of Western, and a daughter, Almira, in Nebraska, and one sister, Mrs. Charles DECKER of North Western.
Utica Daily Press, Tuesday Morning, October 9, 1900, page 8, col. 4 Westernville
 Mrs. Alvin STONE of Branchport, New York, is in town called by the death of her mother, Mrs. Catherine BOYD.  Squire BOYD of Middlesex, came also to attend her funeral on Friday.  The services were conducted by Rev. E.U. BROWN of Steuben.  Internment was made in the cemetery here.
Jane Adams

BOYD, James
Utica Daily Observer, Staurday Evening, September 3, 1870; page 3, col. 5 Died
 At the residence of his son-in-law, George MASON, Esq. in Western, Oneida County on Friday, September 2, Mr. James BOYD, aged about 90 years.
 Mr. BOYD was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was actively engaged at Sackett's Harbor, and other places during that war.  He moved to the town of Western some seventy years ago, and resided upon the same farm ever since.  Mr. BOYD was the grandfather of Mrs. J.E. JAMES of Utica.
 Funeral will be attended at the residence of his son-in-law, Mr. George MASON, Sunday September 4.  Friends of the family are invited to attend.
Jane Adams
2530 14th Ave.
Greeley, CO 80631-8317

DIED: The oldest graduate of Hamilton College, Rev. Samuel W. BRACE, died Friday at his home in Utica. He was born at Rutland, VT., May 1, 1790 and came to N.Y. State when he was 6 years of age with his parents who first settled in Onondaga Co. Hamilton College was established in 1812 and Mr. Brace entered it as a Sophomore. The late Judge GREEN was his brother-in-law.
AUBURN DAILY BULLETIN, AUBURN, N.Y. Monday August 19, 1878
Mary Gilmore

BRIGHAM, Stephen
Vernon, October 15, 1849
"Died- At Vernon, Oneida County, on the 11th day of October, 1849, Capt. Stephen Brigham, in the 96th year of his age.  The subject of this notice was born in Shrewsbury, Worcester, Co., Mass., May 13th, 1754.  At the commencement of the war of the Revolution he left his home on the morning after the battle of Lexington and joined the American army, near Boston, as a volunteer.  He soon after enlisted as a private soldier for the term of 8 months, and was in the memorial battle of Bunker Hill, on the 17th of June.  Some time after he returned from the army he removed to Chelshire Co., New Hampshire, where he remained until 1790, when he removed to what is now Oneida County, NY and settled in Westmoreland.  In 1812 he removed to Vernon, which has been the place of his residence until the time of his death
In early life, while living in New Hampshire, he, with his wife made a public profession of religion in connection with the Congregational Church in Fitzwilliam.  After his removal to Westmoreland, he, with his wife, were part of the small number of thirteen who were organized into a church of that same place.  On his removal to Vernon, where he continued a member until the time of his death.
He has uniformly sustained a good character for uprightness and integrity, and has in the last years of his life seemed ripening for a better world and to be waiting with calmness and resignation for his great and last change."

The following information was gathered from the Saturday Globe Newspaper, dated August 3, 1895.
Friend BRISTOL, the famous Remsen caterer, died Wednesday in that place from a stoke of apoplexy.  His death was sudden and unexpected as he had been in the best of health hitherto.  Friend Bristol was born in Warrington, Conn., in 1833.  He spent his boyhood there and as a young man became caterer for a Long Island Club.  About 35 years ago Mr. Bristol came to Utica and opened a small oyster shop on Genesee Street.  Soon after he became interested in buying cattle and for many years continued very successfully at that business.  Twelve years ago Mr. Bristol  bought the hotel at Remsen of George Dawson, and has conducted it most sucessfully ever since.  The hostelry became known for its game dinners and guests from far and wide resorted there.  But it was Mr. Bristol's personality which made the place especially attractive.  Genial and large-souled, he was a man who drew to himself the liking of all and, friends once gained, he retained them.  The deceased was twice married.  His first wife was Miss Jerolman and, some years after her death, he wedded Estella Dawson, who survives.  A daughter by his first wife resides in Connecticut.

Lottie May Handy Brown
Rome Sentinel-December 17, 1926
Camden - Dec. 17 - Late Thursday afternoon at her home on Union Street, occurred the death of Lottie May Handy, wife of L. O. Brown after a severe illness of several months.  Mrs. Brown was born in Annsville July 19, 1879, daughter of the late George and Adella Handy but spent the greater part of her life in Camden.  She was a practical nurse and was held in high esteem.  She was twice married, her first husband being Franklin Lewis Miller. On January 27, 1917, she was married to L. O. Brown, who survives.  She was a member of the M. E. Church, the Central Asbury Circle and the W.C.T.U.  Besides her
husband she is survived by one son, Walter G. Miller of Camden, a step-son, Howard Brown of Syracuse, a step daughter, Mrs. Charles Laplain of Oswego, one sister, Mrs. Charles Fulcher of Camden, two brothers, Jay Handy of Camden and Charles Handy of Michigan and three grandchildren.
Kathy Last

28 Mar 1903-Rome Daily Sentinel
FARMER JOHN BROWN DEAD Passed away this morning after long illness. Well known breeder of fast Horses Trained for the Track at His Farm Three and On-Half Miles North of Rome- Born in England
     John Brown, one of the best known farmers of Rome, died this morning at his home on Turin road, 3 1/2 miles outside the city. He had been in failing health for the past two or three years and for a year past had been out but little.
     Mr. Brown was born near Scarborough, England 70 years ago and lived near the scene of his nativity until twenty-five years of age, when he immigrated to this country and located in Westmoreland with his wife and family of three children. His wife died some years later, and while
living in Rome Mr. Brown was united in marriage with Miss Rebecca Bielby, who survives.
     From Westmoreland Mr. Brown removed to Sp[encer Settlement and took charge of the Bruh farm. Subsequently he operated the Huntington farm, the site of the present county home, and remained there eight years. He then purchased and removed to the farm on the Turin road where he died.
     Mr. Brown was always a farmer by occupation, but in addition to that he was, for many years, a successful breeder of fine horses. To track horses he devoted particular attention. Though he had raised no horses in later years, the well worn half mile speedway where he was want to develop racing qualifies in his colts and familiarize them with work on the track, still remains to the view of those who drive by his late home. He sold many of his horses at fancy prices even in those
     In politics Mr. Brown was a Republican. As a churchman he was a faithful and conscientious member of the First M.E. Chuch of Rome. He was of a jovial disposition, always kind hearted and he had hosts of friends.
     There are left the following sons and daughters: Rev. Smith W. Brown, pastor of the South Street M.E. Church of Utica; George H. Bell, Mrs. George H. Plato, Mrs. William Smith, Miss Sarah Brown, Mrs. George J. Cook, and Mrs. T.W. Smith of Rome and Mrs. W. A. Bielby of
Sent by - Cheryl Waterman

The Clinton Advertiser, Saturday April 4, 1908
Bernard Burns
Saturday afternoon, at his home on Chestnut Street, occurred the death f Bernard Burns, an old and respected resident of this village. He had been in failing health for over a year and his death was not unexpected. The deceased was born in Ireland about 80 years ago, and had been a resident of this village for over a quarter of a century. He is survived by four children, John and James Burns of Clinton; Patrick Burns of Oxford and Mrs. Joseph (Catherine) Martin of Clinton. The funeral was held from St. Mary's Church as 10 o'clock Monday morning.
Peggy Burns

BUTLER, Mrs. Ada
Utica Paper August 13, 1951
Mrs. Ada Butler, 826 Hamilton Street died August 11, 1951, in St. Elizabeth's Hospital after a long illness. She was born in Utica, daughter of the late Henry and Lucy Ollerenshaw Haganour.  In 1908, she was married to Stephen P. Butler Sr., St. Patrick's Church.  He died39 years ago. She was educated in local schools and was graduated from the Academy of the Holy Name, Rome.  She lived in Oneida for many years and was active in business circles.  She was well-known in the real estate and hotel business in Sylvan Beach. Mrs. Butler was a communicant of St. Patrick's Church and its Women's Altar Society, Reynold's Relief Corps, Women of the Moose, Order of Pocahontas, Federation of Women's Clubs, Patriotic Council and the Elks Auxiliary of Oneida.
She leaves a son, Stephen P. Butler Jr., Yorkville, a granddaughter and two nieces. The funeral will be at 9 Thursday from the Langdon Residential Funeral Home, York and Maple, and at 9:30 from St. Patrick's Church.
Submitted by

BUTLER, Stephen P.
Feb 8, 1914 Obituary
Popular Young Utican
Stephen P. Butler, Well Known Vocalist, Answers Death's Summons
Many friends were deeply grieved to learn of the death of Stephen P. Butler, at one time prominent in local musical circles, which occurred Monday, February 2 at the home of his father in law, David Owens Sunset Avenue, following a prolonged illness.
Mr. Butler was born in New York, August 6, 1879.  After receiving his education at Assumption Academy, he enrolled in courses at the Utica Conservatory of Music.  He possessed an excellent tenor voice and was employed by Willmer & Vincent for some time in the Orpheum Theater.  Eight years ago he was given charge of the Orpheum Theater at Portsmouth, Virginia and successfully managed the same for five years.  He had since been proprietor of the Lake Shore Hotel at Sylvan Beach, residing in Utica during the winter.  His gentle disposition and sociable ways endeared him to everyone with whom he came to contact and his death is widely mourned.  Mr. Butler was a member of St. Patrick's Church and of its choir.  He was also a popular member of the Haydn Male Chorus and Utica Lodge No. 33,  B.P.O.E.
Six years ago he married Miss Ada Haganour of Utica, who survives with a son Stephen, Jr.  Mr. Butler also leaves a niece Eloise Haganour of this city and a nephew Calhoun Butler of Boonville.
The funeral was held from his home at 9 o'clock on Thursday and at St. Patrick's at 9:30, where Rev. Father James Farrell celebrated a High Mass of requiem.  A delegation from Utica Lodge No. 33  B.P.O.E. escorted the remains from the house to the church.  The mass was sung by the full choir of the church of which the deceased was a member at the conclusion of the mass a quartet consisting of Elliot Stewart, Arthur Coupe, William Casey Jr. and Prof. Harry McCormick rendered "Jerusalem."  The floral offerings were profuse among them being a large standing cross from the Elks, a standing heart from relatives and a large standing wreath from the West End Brewing Company.  The bearers were William J. Wier, Theodore Somers, George Helmer, P.J. McGuire, Joseph Sullivan and James B. Geer.  The remains were placed in the receiving vault at St. Agnes Cemetery.
Submitted by

Zora W Butler funeral held
  Miss Zora W Butler, 97, of Lowville, died Tuesday, July 28 [1987] at the Lewis County Extended Care Facility, where she had been a resident since October 11, 1974. A prayer service was held Friday, July 31 at the Donald F Virkler Funeral Home, followed by a funeral in St Peter's Church with Rev Bernard Christman officiating. Burial was in St Patrick's Cemetery, Oneida, NY.        There were no calling hours. Surviving are a brother, Joseph M Butler, Lowville; two nieces, Mrs Frederick [Barbara] Martin, RD Lowville, and  Mrs Edward [Shirley] Gassner, New Hartford; nine grandnieces  and grandnephews; and seven great-grandnieces and  great-grandnephews.  Born Jan 21, 1890 in Rome, a daughter of Solomon and Esther Mahedy Butler, she was graduated from Holy Name Academy in Rome. Miss Butler was never married.She worked for the George E Pohl Manufacturing Co,  Vernon, and later at the Oneida Community Ltd, the National Casket Co, Oneida, and the Niagara Mohawk Power Corp, Oneida. For 25 years, she was employed by the Pentagon in Washington,  DC, until retiring.   [Burial was in J P McKay family plot]
Dan Touse