Send in Your Obituary Information

AUGUSTUS HAHN died May 4, 1908 at the home of his daughter, Mrs. John Eisenhuth in Deerfield, NY. By trade he was a stone mason, working for himself much of the time. Mr. Hahn was a member of the German Rifles under Capt. Harrer and at the outbreak of the civil war enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Forty-sixth Regiment, under Capt. Peter Claesgens. He was captured by the Confederates and spent ten months in Andersonville prison. After the war he settled in Deerfield, where he made his home until 1884, when he took up his residence on Mohawk Street. He was a member of Post John F. McQuade, G.A.R.
Mr. Hahn was married three times. He is survived by three daughters - Mrs. Michael McManus, of Utica; Mrs. Catherine Looft, Peoria, Ill., and Mrs. John Eisenhuth of Deerfield. He also leave 19 grandchildren and 5 great grandchildren.
The funeral was held on Thursday afternoon from the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Eisenhuth. Interment was in the Baptist Cemetery, Deerfield.
Karen Dwyer

Henry B. Hall
Rome Sentinel-November 15, 1934
Taberg - A heart attack suffered late Wednesday afternoon at the plant of the Rome Company at Rome proved fatal to Henry B. Hall, life long and well known resident of this village.  Mr. Hall had been an employe at the Rome Plant for the past 13 years.  Mr. Hall was born at the Hall homestead three miles from here November 3, 1878, a son of the late John & Angeline Pexton Hall.  He was engaged in farming until 1921 when he came to the village.  For two years he was a rural mail carrier from the local office to Blossvale and Glenmore.  Four years ago he and his wife took over the management of a business place here, which has become known as Hall's Coffee Shop and gas station.  He was a member and a trustee of the Methodist Church and was a member of the bible class and the Epworth League of the church.  He enjoyed the friendship of a large circle and
was esteemed throughout the community.  He was married March 19, 1901, to Miss Ella Cook of Lee, who survives.  He leaves also two sons, Earl, at home, and George of this village, and two sisters, Mrs. Etta Farley and Mrs. Clarence Preston of Rome.  The body was brought today to the home of Mrs. Hall's sister and brother-in-law, Mr. & Mrs. Curtis Johnson, by B. A. Sanborn.  Friends may call at the Johnson home at their convenience.  Burial will be in Maple Hill.
Kathy Last

from Rome Daily Sentinel, Monday evening Oct. 20, 1924 page 1 -
Mrs. Caroline Hall Utica, Oct. 20 - Mrs. Caroline Hall, 93, widow of Ransome Hall, died on Saturday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Anna Bullock, 1207 Taylor Avenue. She was born at Stockbridge, Madison County, but lived in Durhamville for 75 years. She is survived by three daughters: Mrs. Bullock, Mrs. Helen Westbury of Bangor, Maine, and Mrs. Estelle Morris [should read MORSE] of Rome. Also a number of grandchildren and great grand-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild.
(Submitters note: Caroline (Foley) Hill Hall is the daughter of Andrew Mason Foley 1799-1839 and Mary Kline 1804-1872. Caroline 1st married Gibson Hill in abt 1848 and they had two daughters: Mary E. Hill 1849-? and Estella Frances Hill 1853-1930. Gibson Hill left for the Gold Rush out West and died, place & date unknown. Caroline then married J. Ransom Hall and they had two daughters: Helen Hall who married a Mr. Westbury and Anna Hall who married Giles Bullock. Seeking descendants.)
Judith (Wittman) Evenson

The following are "In Memoriam" cards for Ira Hand (letter posted this month) and his wife. In Loving Remembrance of
Ira W. Hand Born April 1, 1831 Died March 6, 1917 Aged 84 years 11 months 6 days
 Ira W. Hand died at his home at Staples, Minn. on Tuesday, March 6, 1917. Funeral service was conducted from Methodist church on March 8, 1917 by Rev. Dodd's of Breckenridge, Minn.  Mr. Hand was born at Utica, N.Y. on April 1, 1831, at Yorkville on August 22, 1853, he was married to Miss Harriet Seeber.  They moved in 1856 to Sandwich, Ills. and lived there until 1872, when they moved to Piper City, Ills.  In 1909, they came to Staples , Minn., where Mrs. Hand preceeded her husband in death a short time ago.  To Mr. and Mrs. Hand were born eight children, seven of whom survive.  They are Cora A. Miller, David, Ira, Alma, and Lewis of Staples, Minn.  Warren of Hawkeye, Iowa, and Curtis of Tolna, N.D.  Besides these he is survived by one brother Charles, of Utica, N.Y., twenty seven grandchildren and ten greatgrandchildren.  Mr. Hand enlisted on August 12, 1862 as a member of the 129th Illinois Infantry, Company B, was wounded at Kennesaw Mountain and he received his discharge January 23, 1865.  Mr. Hand was a member of the Methodist Church for many years, and was a good and useful citizen.  Many beautiful floral offerings at his bier attested the great esteem in which he was held.

In Loving Remembrance of Harriet S. Hand Born March 16, 1831 Died Dec. 31, 1915 Aged 84 years 9 months 15 days
Death of Mrs. Ira W. Hand
 Mrs. Ira W. Hand died at her home at Staples, Minn. on Friday Dec. 31, 1915.  Funeral service was at the home on Jan. 3, 1916 and was conducted by Rev. Dodd's of Breckenridge, Minn.  The large attendance of the funeral and many Beautiful Floral tributes attested the high esteem in which she was held.  Harriet Seeber was born at Fort Plain, N.Y. on March 16, 1831.  She was united in marriage on August 22, 1853 to Ira W. Hand, to this union eight children were born, seven of whom with the husband are left to moun the death of a loving wife and mother.  They are, Cora A. Miller, David S., Ira William, Alma I. and Lewis S. of Staples, Minn. Warren of Hawkeye, Iowa, and Curtis J. of Tolna, N.D.  Besides her husband and children Mrs. Hand is survived by one sister Mrs. Elizabeth Harris, Sandwich, Ill. and by twenty-seven Grand children and nine Great Grand children.  Mrs. Hand united with the M.E. church in February 1853 and was a faithful and consistent member throughout her long and useful life.

HAND, George
Hand - In Tucson, Arizona, May 4, 1887, George O. Hand, a native of Whitestown, NY, brother of the late Mrs. Mira B. Roberts of Utica, aged 58 years.

HAND, Thaddeus B.
     Thaddeus B. Hand died at the home of his son, B.T. Hand of 110 Oneida St., shortly after 9 o'clock last evening.  Mr. Hand had been in failing health for over a year, but his condition only became serious a few days ago.  Death was due to old age.  Mr. Hand had been a resident of this city for over 60 years and he had many friends who will regret to learn of his death.  The early part of his life was spent in New York Mills, where he was born in October, 1829.  In his later years he followed the occupation of gardner and worked industriously at this until he retired.  Mr. Hand was an old-time Democrat and was always deepely interested in the political welfare of the community and country in which he was born.  He was of the Methodist denomination.  In December of 1865, he married Ann Homer of New Hartford.  She died 10 years ago.  Mr. Hand is survived by one son, B.T. Hand, and one daughter, Mrs. C.F. Georgens, both of Utica.  He also leaves two brother, C.F. Hand of this city, and Ira Hand of Chicago, Ill. This obituary had a penciled in date of 1911.
Funeral of Mrs. Hand
     The funeral of Mrs. Thaddeus Hand was held from her late home, 7 Hart Street, yesterday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock.  Rev. Samuel Call of Dryer Memorial Church officiated.  The service was largely attended and there were many beautiful floral offerings.  Members of the family acted as bearers.  Interment was made in Forest Hill Cemetery.  Jane Alois

George W. Handy
Rome Sentinel
October 14, 1926
Camden, Oct. 14:  At his home on the Taberg Road, Monday evening occurred the death of George W. Handy.  Mr. Handy was born in Taberg, May 13, 1846, and was a son of Elisha and Mary Tanner Handy.  He was twice married, his first wife being Miss Edela Palms.  Twenty six years ago he married Mrs. Emogene Williams who survives.  He also leaves two sons, Jay Handy of this village and Charles Handy of Michigan; two daughters, Mrs. S. O.Brown and Mrs. Charles Fulcher of Camden, and two brothers, Charles Handy of Akron, NY and Frank Handy of Syracuse.  Mr. Handy was a lifelong resident of the town of Annsville and was a member of the Taberg M.E. Church.
Kathy Last

HARRISON, Monica (Anderson)
 Obituary, Mazeppa, Minnesota Newspaper - June 18, 1903
    Mrs. Henry Harrison suddenly and unexpectedly, after a very brief illness, died last Sunday evening, of acute obstruction of the bowels.  The funeral services were conducted in the Congregational church of this place yesterday afternoon and the remains were laid to rest by the side of those of Mr. Harrison's in the South Troy cemetery.
    Miss Manica (sic) Anderson was born in Rome, N. Y., on the 25th day of May, 1835.  She was married to Henry Harrison on Dec. 17, 1851.  Mr. and Mrs. Anderson moved to Minnesota in 1688 (sic) and resided on a farm near Hammond until the first of October, 1892, when they moved to Mazeppa.  Here they lived together until the death of Mr. Harrison which occured on Oct. 8, 1898.  Since then Mrs. Harrison has lived alone here, making frequent visits to her different children.
    Mrs. Harrison united with the Methodist church 35 years ago, and has ever since been a faithful church member and Christian worker.  She leaves eight children, five daughters and three sons.  They are:  Mrs. Ellen Nichols, of Dakota, Mrs. Allinyra Waskey, Mazeppa, Mrs. Maggie Butreff, Owatonna, Mrs. Angie Wyatt, Rochester, Mrs. Addie Hoffman and Mrs. Phebe Phelps of Zumbrota and Verdina Harrison of Warwood, Minn. H. S. Harrison of Jopplin (sic) Mo., and Elmer Harrison of Mazeppa.
Submitted by Dan Draper

Utica Observer - Wednesday, June 7, 1899
JAMES HAYES - former Alderman, died at his residence, corner of Second and Blandina Street.  He was ill with pneumonia for several weeks and had passed the crisis, but the attack had so reduced his vitality that he was unable to rally from its effects.  Mr. Hayes had by persistent, honest effort risen from a place of obscurity to one of considerable influence in the community and his death is the source of many expressions of regret. Mr. Hayes was born in Barringtons Bridge, County Limerick, Ireland, in 1833.  He came to Utica in 1851 and had since made this city his home.  Twenty-eight years of his life were in the service of Central-Hudson Railroad, the last position having been that of tallyman in the freight house.  He left that position in 1882 to devote more time to the grocery at the corner of Second and Blandina, which he continued until his death.  In 1882, he and others established the Peoples Brewing Company, of which he was president until selling his interests three months before his death. In politics, Mr. Hayes was a Democrat and known for his loyalty to the party.  He was assessor of the Fifth Ward for about six years and in 1881 was elected Alderman of the Tenth Ward.  He served three terms in the Common Council.  He was a member and treasurer of the David B. Hill Club during it's existence and a member of the Democratic Association of the City of Utica and the County of Oneida.  He had previously been a member of the Emmett Guards and the Irish National Land League.  During his residence in Utica he had been a member of St. John's Church and the St. Vincent De Paul Society.
Mr. Hayes was twice married.  His first wife was Johanna Brophy and his second wife was Cecelia Cooney.  The latter survives as do five children - William F. Hayes, who is the Tenth Ward Alderman, John M. Hayes, who is in the railway mail service, Thomas J. Hayes of Rochester, Margaret, wife of Joseph Brennan and Annie E., wife of William J. Jordan.

Utica, NY - Utica Weekly Herald
Died in this city, January 31, 1871, Mrs. Johanna Hayes  formerly Johanna Brophy, wife of James Hayes, aged 30 years and 8 months.

The Utica Observer - June 29, 1899
HAYES - died in this city, Thursday, June 29, 1899, Cecilia (Cooney) Hayes  widow of the late James Hayes.
Notice of funeral - Funeral from the family residence, 205 Blandina Street, tomorrow (Saturday) morning at 9:00 o'clock and from St. John's Church at 9:30 A.M. where a Requiem High Mass will be celebrated.  Friends respectfully invited.

HEBURN, George W.
George W. Heburn, aged 74, a native Roman and a veteran of the Civil War, died on Monday night after a two week illness. He resided at 240 Pleasant Avenue. Mr Heburn was born in Rome and always lived here. He was a painter by trade. In 1862 he joined Company D, 108th N.Y. Volunteers, and served until the end of the war. He was awarded a medal for bravery and gallant fighting at Gettysburg. At the close of the war he returned to Rome. In 1874 he was married to Miss Ella Wilcox, who survives. He also leaves three daughters and two sons, Mrs Thomas Day, Mrs Floyd Rathbun, Miss Grace Heburn, George W. jr. and Charles Heburn all of Rome. Mr. Heburn was a member of the First M.E. Church. He had many friends in this city who will regret his death.
Rome Sentinel pg2 27 Feb, 1917
Edward Bajgerowicz

(Rome DailySentinel, Monday Oct 3 1887 pg 2)
Death of James Heburn
James Heburn died at his home on Pleasant avenue in this city on Saturday at the age of 87 years. The deceased had been disabled by rheumatism for the past 50 years. About twelve years ago he suffered a stroke of paralysis, his left side being affected. Six weeks ago he received the second stroke which rendered him entirely speechless and helpless. He remained in that condition till his death. The deceased was born in Vermont. In his youth he was a sailor. At the age of about 20 years he came to this city, and afterward resided here. He leaves four children, Mrs. Arthur Van Dyke and Miss Mary Heburn, George Heburn of this city and Harvey Heburn of McConnellsville. The funeral occurred this afternoon.
Edward Bajgerowicz

Undated newspaper clipping from family files:
Louis Hedler, Canajoharie Resident for 20 Years, Succumbs
Prominent in Fraternal Organizations and Public Life
Canajoharie - Louis Hedler, former Utica alderman, and resident of this village for the past 20 years, died suddenly at his home here Sunday. He was born in Geneva, August 23, 1857, son of Ernest and Henrietta Hedler. He moved to Utica in 1865. In 1871 he entered the employ of Biederman and Taber, where he learned the trade of trunkmaker and later ollowed the same business with H.C. Faber and Son. In 1897 he was elected alderman of the 14th Ward. he served two terms. About 20 years ago he moved here and was employed by the Beech Nut Packing Company. In 1929 he retired. He was a member of Utica Lodge 33, B.P.O.E., Utica Lodge 450, Loyal  Order of Moose, and Karl Marx Lodge 481, D.O.H. He leaves his wife, Augusta Marx; a son, Robert Hedler, Canajoharie; three daughters, Mrs. John Scheideman, Utica; Mrs. Arthur Shields, Canajoharie; Mrs. Stephen Brayton, Utica; five grandchildren; two great grandchildren.
Funeral services will be held Wednesday afternoon at 1 p.m., and a  chapel service in Forest Hill Cemetery, Utica at 3.
Marda Buchholz

Undated newspaper clipping:
Mrs. Augusta Hedler
Canajoharie -- Mrs. Augusta Hedler, 91, widow of Lewis G. Hedler, died Nov. 17, 1952, in the home of a daughter, Mrs. Arthur Shields, 76 Walnut. She was born Apr. 21, 1861, in Peitz, Germany, a daughter of Carl and Charlotta Wildow Marx. She came to the United States 79 years ago and was a resident of Utica until 39 years ago when she moved to Canajoharie. Mr. Hedler died Sept. 24, 1933 She attended St. Mark's Lutheran Church and was a member of the Utica Hard of Hearing Club.
She leaves a son, Robert Hedler, Canajoharie; three daughters, Mrs. Louise Scheideman, Norfolk, Va., Mrs. Ruby Brayton, West Palm Beach, Fla., and Mrs. Shields; five grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren  and two great-great-grandchildren. The funeral will be at 1:30 p.m. Thursday from the Lenz Funeral Home,  the
Rev. Albert Schilke, pastor of St. Mark's Church officiating. Burial will be in Forest Hill Cemetery, Utica.
Marda Buchholz

Susan Tanner Henderson
Rome Sentinel-Dec. 10, 1912
Mrs. Susan Henderson, aged 28 years, wife of Alexander Henderson, 104 Lock Street, died at 6:45 o'clock this morning at the Rome Hospital. Mrs. Henderson had been in ill health for the past three or four months, and during the past three weeks she had been in the hospital ill with typhoid fever.  She was born in Altmar, NY a daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Tanner.   Her parents moved to this city about 19 years ago and have resided at 205 S. James street.  On August 27, 1903, she married Alexander Henderson.  Mrs. Henderson was a member of Zion Episcopal Church, and leaves many friends to mourn
her death.  Besides her husband she is survived by her parents, Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Tanner of Rome, two children, Alexander aged 6 years, and Granville, aged 3 years, of Rome; three sisters, Mrs. John Doyle and Miss Elizabeth Tanner of Rome, Mrs.
Benjamin Lowell of Rochdale, Mass., and one brother, William Tanner of Rome.
Kathy Last

Utica Saturday Globe
Jeremiah Hess
Rome Sentinel-August 15, 1895
A TERRIBLE ACCIDENT: Jeremiah Hess, a Former Roman, Killed and Five Others Injured, One Perhaps Fataly - The Breaking of a Rope Causes a Fall of Over 70 Feet: Utica, Aug 15 - A terrible and fatal accident occurred at the Martin building here about 7 AM today.  The building was recently gutted by fire and workmen are engaged in repairing it.  From the ground floor to the top story it is 73 feet, and a temporary elevator has been constructed to carry building materials to the various floors.  The pulley block on which the elevator worked was attached to a beam on the roof by a rope. The workmen
have been in the habit of riding up and down on this elevator to and from their work, although the contractors say they have been warned not to do so.  This morning a party of three men were taken up in safety and the elevator was brought down to find a party of six waiting to be conveyed to the top floor.  They proceeded until the floor was nearly reached, when the rope holding the elevator pulley block broke and the elevator was precipitated to the ground, over 70 feet below.  The men in the building gave the alarm and the ambulance was sent for.  The injured workmen were picked up and carriages were also summoned in order that they might be taken to the hospitals as soon as possible.  Jeremiah Hess was the worst hurt and he was placed in the ambulance of the City Hospital.  He died before reaching that institution.  Hess was 55 years of age, a carpenter,
and resided at 12 Mandeville street, this city.  He leaves a wife and child.  His neck was broken, a deep gash was cut in his forehead and his left leg was broken.  His body was taken home.  The news of the accident spread rapidly and there were various reports as to the number killed, ranging from two to six.  A great crowd gathered about the building and the contractors finally closed the entrance doors and allowed no one to enter.  The building is what was formerly known as the Comstock block and has been twice destroyed by fire.  It is now owned by Hon. Henry Martin and was last burned in December.  The walls have been allowed to stand and since that time, until within a few weeks, nothing has been done except to clear away the debris.  The contract for the rebuilding was let some weeks ago.  Coroner Tefft was notified and will hold an investigation.  Jeremiah Hess, who was killed, was born and raised in Madison county.  He lived in Rome eight or ten years and was employed at G. V. Selden's planing mill.  He left and went to Utica about fifteen years ago.  He was a brother of Mrs. Jerome W. Davis, 117 East Embargo Street, and a brother-in-law of Eugene Crossman of 108 East Embargo Street, whose sister he married.  Mr. Crossman was summoned to Utica by telegraph.
Rome Citizen-August 16, 1895
Jeremiah Hess, who was killed by the falling of a temporary elevator, in which he was riding with five other men, in the Martin Building at Utica, Thursday, was born in Clinton 35 years ago..  He lived in that village until he was 25 years of age when he came to this city.  For eight years he lived here and was employed as a mechanic and carpenter in Selden's planing mill.  When 36 years of age he removed with his family to Whitesboro.  He remained there two years, working in the Williams planing mill the greater part of the time.  He then returned to this city, where he remained until nine years ago, when he went to Utica.  During his residence in Utica he has been employed by various contractors as carpenter.  He was an experienced workman and was well liked by his associates.  He was a strong temperance advocate and was an honorary member of the WCTU of Utica.  He was a staunch Republican.   He was a member of the First ME Church in Utica and as such was an upright and conscientious Christian. He is survived by his wife and one son, L. George Hess of Brooklyn, two brothers, Louis Hess of Clinton and David Hess of Illinois, and four sisters, Mrs. Daniel Pender who lives on Oneida lake; Mrs Frank Reynolds of Clarkville, Mrs. Jerome W. Davis of Rome and Mrs. Mary VanSlyke of Clinton.   The funeral will be held from his late residence, No. 12 Mandeville street tomorrow morning at 9:30 o'clock and from the First ME Church in Rome at 2 o'clock.
Eugene Crossman of 108 East Embargo street, Rome, a brother-in-law of Mr. Hess, was in Utica last evening making arrangements for the funeral.
Kathy Last

Lewis Hess
Rome Sentinel-September 13, 1905
Clinton - The town of Kirkland loses another of its old settlers in the death of Lewis Hess of Fountain street, which occurred this morning at 4 o'clock.  Mr. Hess has been in failing health for several months and his death was not unexpected.  He was born in Rensselaerville, Albany County, March 23, 1820.  When a mere lad his parents moved to Fenner, Madison County.  From there Mr. Hess came to this town where he had resided sixty years.  He was a life-long Democrat and active in planning and working for the success of his party.  Mrs. Hess, whom he marrried in 1850, died many years ago.  He is survived by three sisters, Mrs. Samuel VanSlyke of Clinton, Mrs. Sarah Reynolds of Clockville and Mrs. Jerome Davis of Rome, also one brother David W. Hess of Illinois.
Kathy Last

Josephine Crossman Hess
Rome Sentinel-November 1920
At the Oneida County Hospital on Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock, occurred the death of Mrs. Josephine Hess, 903 State Street, Utica.  She was born in Annsville on Feb. 27, 1847.  She is survived by one son, George L. Hess of Utica.  She also leaves two grandchildren and three great-grandchildren, as well as one brother, C. E. Crossman, 117 W. Fox Street, and the following nieces and nephews:  Miss Lillian Dean of Taberg, Mrs. Lizzie Adams of Clinton, C. Woodcock and Frank Kammerline of Utica and David Stratton and Wallace and Arthur Crossman of Rome.
Kathy Last

Rome Sentinel Newspaper, Oneida Co., NY
April 8, 1907
Western Waftings
Death of John Holland, an old and Respected Resident Westernville, April 8
The hearts of the people of this community were deeply touched with sorrow by the death of John Holland, a highly respected resident of this town,  which occurred at his home on Sunday April 7 at one o¹clock pm after a lingering illness of several weeks of a complication of diseases.  all that tender, loving hands could do was done to relieve him but was of no avail. He bore his suffering with patience and Christian fortitude, ever trusting in a loving Savior until called to come up higher.  He was an earnest Christian and a member of the M.E. Church of Westernville.  The deceased was a son of the late John and Ann Holland and was born in Yorkshire, England on June 4, 1823. When he was nine years old eh came to this country and to Floyd, with his parents. On March 18, 1857, he was united in marriage with
Mary Ann Johnson of Rome.  Shortly after their marriage they removed to this town on the farm where the remainder o his life was spent.  In politics he was a life-long Republican. Although not holding public office he took a deep interest in casting his vote for the welfare of his party.  on March 18 last Mr & Mrs Holland celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage. all their children being present. The deceased was devotedly attached to his family in constant self-sacrificing love, always thinking and planning for their welfare and happiness.  His kind word and gentle smile won the love of all  his friends, and acquaintances.  Those who feel the loss most keenly are his wife and the following children: George E Holland, Mrs. Robert B Smith, Mrs. Henry Parsons and Mrs. Luen Foil, of Rome, Mrs Stanley Warcup of Western, and Fred  T., Arthur J., Misses Nettie B and Lillian H., who resides at home; also two brothers, James and Allison Holland of Rome.
Sheila Hoffman

HORN, Lynch
Exact paper unknown
    Lynch Horn was born in Vienna, Oneida County New York, Aug 7th 1814 and died in Gladbrook, Iowa on Feb 9th 1898 at the advanced age of 83 years, 6 months and 2 days.  He had been in feeble health for a long time but was only confined to his bed for a few days before his death.
    He was united in marriage to Miss Elmira Mallory, Oct. 31st 1833 who still survives him; having been the faithful companion for over 64 years.  God blessed their union with five children, two sons and three daughters, only three of whom together with five grandchildren, and two great grandchildren remain with the widowed mother and grandmother to morn their loss.  The surviving children are Miss Mary Jane Horn, who has always remained in the parental home, Mrs. Carrie Holstead, of Toledo, Iowa and Wesley Horn of Beaman Iowa.  After his marriage he continued to reside in his native state and country until the year 1864 when with  his family he removed to Tama county, Iowa where he resided in and near Gladbrook, the remainder of his life.  He was a faithful member of the M.E. Church for over fifty years.  His life was that of expempliary Christian to which fact all who knew him bear testimony.  It may be truely said of him "Thee shalt be missed, because thy seat will be empty", missed, in the family, in the commmunity and by the church.  His past hours were spent in peace, patience and resignation.  He passed to his restein the triumphs of a living faith.  The funeral services were held in the M.E. chuch in Galdbrook on Friday Feb 11th 1898 conducted by his pastor Rev. O.R. Newett.  The remains were interred in the Badgar Hill Cemetery.
Submitted by Chuck Rogers

HORNE, Mary Jane
Exact paper is not known
    The funeral services of Miss Mary Jane Horne who died at the home of her sister, Mrs. W.H. Holstead, Sunday, was held at the Holstead home Tuesday Afternoon, conducted by her pastor Rev. Joseph Billman, assisted by Rev. G.W. Benson.  Music for the service was furnished by Mrs. Hosea McKinney.  The remains were tenderly laid to rest in Woodlawn Cemetery.
    Mary Jane Horne was born April 25, 1835 At Vienna, Oneida County New York.  She was the oldest daughter of Lynch and Elmira Horne, and with them. moved from New York to Tama County Iowa in 1864, residing on their farm in Spring Creek township and in Galdbrook until her father's death when she and her mother moved to Toledo to be near other members of the family.  After her mother's death she made her home with her sister Mrs. W.H. Holstead also with a brother J. W. Horne, now of Ocean Park, California, and with a niece Mrs. E.A. Rogers.
    At the age of thirty-eight she was converted under the preaching of Rev. G.W. Benson and joined the United Brethren church.  After coming to Toldeo she transferred her membership to the Baptist chuch of which she continued a faithful member until the time of her death.
Submitted by Chuck Rogers

HORTON, Thomas
Utica, Feb. 9.--Thomas J. HORTON, the oldest butcher in Utica, died yesterday in his 92nd year.  He was born near Poughkeepsie and came to Utica when he was 25.  He learned the butcher business and  conducted it here for many years.  His memory was good and he could relate many interesting reminiscences of Utica's early days.  His wife died in 1889.  They had no children, but brought up Thomas H. OVEROCKER, a nephew of Mrs. HORTON.

 In the Utica Herald-Dispatch, December 9, 1920
Well Known Resident of City Died
After Long Illness.
Mrs. Emmet Houghtling, formerly of Malone, and for the last 18 months a resident of this city, died at her home yesterday morning at 8 o'clock, following a protracted illness. Mrs. Houghtling also lived in Whitesboro for a time. She was well known in this vicinity and her friends will regret to learn that she has passed away. Mrs. Houghtling was born in Andover, January 1, 1840, and spent the greater part of her life in that place. She came to Utica from Malone, where she had lived for eight years, and since the past year and a half her home had been in Utica, and for a short time in Whitesboro. She was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and took an active interest in its activities.
Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. H.E. Houghtlen of Malone; a son Mark C. Houghtling of Rochester, and a sister Mrs. James Slocum of Andover.
John Bedard  Ludlow, MA

Houser, Catherine
The Rome Daily Sentinel, Rome, New York, Saturday Evening, Sept. 3, 1904,
Page 2, (Jervis Lib. & Rome Historical Society)
Lee - West Branch, Sept 3, - Thursday at 4:30 ??? path of Mrs Catherine Houser, aged 74 years. She leaves 5 sons and two daughters, William and Margaret of Utica; George, John, Mrs Shaver, Jerry, Gustie and Carl of this place.
Houser, Catherine
The Rome Daily Sentinel, Rome, New York, Tuesday Evening, Sept 6, 1904, page 8, (Jervis Lib. & Rome Historical Society)
Lee Locals - Several friends from here attended the funeral of Mrs Katherine Houser at West Branch on Saturday. Mrs Houser will be remembered by people in this vicinity as one who loved her home, her greatest pleasure being in caring for the welfare and happiness of her family. She won and held friends by her simplicity and truthfulness. Those who knew her best loved her most, and who would desire a better epitaph.
Daniel Houser

Houser, George
Daily Sentinel, Rome, New York, Monday Evening, January 7, 1935, Page 2,
(Jervis Lib. & Rome Historical Society)
West Branch - George Houser, 80 Dies At His Home - West Branch, Jan 7 George Houser, 80, well known lumberman and saw mill operator, long a resident of West Branch, died at his home here Sunday afternoon.
He was born in Hawkinsville, September 23, 1854 son of Jeremiah and Katherine Houser and came to West Branch with his parents when quite young. He spent 20 years in Grand Rapids, Mich., where he was engaged in the lumber and saw mill business. On his return east he came to his old home in West Branch and continued in his home here.
He is survived by his wife, the former Miss Julia Howe, two daughters, Mrs Hester Worden of West Branch and Mrs Albert Meyers of Stanwix; three sons, Grover and Vernon of Rochester and Denzil Houser of Texas; and 18 grandchildren. There are two sisters, Mrs Rose Shaver of Rome and Mrs
Margaret Durr of Whitesboro; three brothers William of Rome, Augusta and Cary Houser of West Branch.
Funeral services will be held Wednesday at noon at his late home and at 1 p.m. at Friends Church.
Daniel Houser

Houser, Mrs Julia Howe
Daily Sentinel, Rome, New York, Monday Evening, January 5, 1942, page 2 &
(Jervis Lib. & Rome Historical Society)
Woman Is Killed At West Branch - Mrs Julia Houser, 78, Struck By Auto Near Her Home - Hamilton Student is Driver Of Car.
Mrs Julia Houser, 78, West Branch, and LeRoy E. Fake, 55, Ilion, were killed in automobile accidents yesterday.
Mrs Houser was killed when she was struck by an automobile operated by John H. Baker, 24, Montreal, Hamilton College student, as she was walking in the highway near her home. She was the mother-in-law of Chester Worden, West Branch, former Roman.
Returning Home - Mrs Houser was returning home after visiting her daughter when the accident occurred. Undersheriff Fred L. Meiss and Deputy Sheriff Charles T. Williams were told by Baker that Mrs Houser appeared to have started across the road as his car approached. She had been walking on the same side of the road as his car was travelling, he said. Mrs Worden confirmed this, according to the investigators. Coroner Thomas A. Cox was called.
Woman Killed - (continued from page two) Death was caused by shock and hemorrhage.
Baker was not held. His car after striking the woman, skidded off the road and hit a fence. He was not hurt.
Leaves Two Daughters - Mrs Houser was born in Parishville, St. Lawrence County, April 15, 1863, a daughter of Seymour and Elizabeth Iles Howe. Her marriage to Mr. Houser took place at Boyne Falls, Mich., Jan 12, 1882. She had gone with her parents to Michigan at an early age. Mr and Mrs Houser came to West Branch in 1901 and Mr Houser died Jan 6, 1935.
She leaves two daughters, Mrs Worden, West Branch, and Mrs Albert Myers, Verona; three sons Denzel, Indianapolis; Grover, East Rochester; and Verne, Dolgeville; two brothers Elmer Howe, Vicksburg, Mich., and Robert Howe, Detroit; and 28 grandchildren.
The body has been removed to the Worden home, where friends may call at their convenience. Funeral services will be held Wednesday with prayer at the Worden home at 1:30 p.m. and services at Friends Church at 2 p.m. Arrangements are in charge by C.W. Trainor.
Houser - Suddenly at West Branch, Sunday, January 4, 1942, Mrs Julia A. Houser, aged 78 years.
Funeral services on Wednesday January 7, with prayer service at the home of her daughter, Mrs Chester Worden, West Branch, at 1:30 p.m. and at Friends Church, West Branch at 2 p.m. The remains are resting at the Worden home, where friends may call at their convenience.
Daniel Houser

Matthew Hoyt
Pioneers of Marshall County, Illinois
Taken From the Henry Republican, Henry, IL January 22, 1874
The cold clods of the valley fell and covered the mortal remains of Mr. Matthew Hoyt, on Tuesday afternoon. He was one of the pioneers of this prairie, an old settler, who endured much of the struggles of the early day, of whom a few words of honorable mention is not only fitting but deserved.
He was born on Trenton, Oneida county, N. Y., September 18, 1803, and at the time of his death had reached the age of three score years and ten. His boyhood was spent in his native town, where he also married Eliza S. Wheeler, in December 1829. He followed his father to Illinois in November, 1839, and for several years lived in a house (now torn down) on the Locke farm in Snachwine township. And here it may be noticed that he was one of the first men who settled there, Riddle Taliaferro being the only survivor who settled there before Mr. Hoyt. Mr. George Sparling came soon after Mr. H. and boarded some time in the family.
He moved to Henry in May, 1844, where all of his future life has been spent. At one time he was justice of the peace, holding the same four years, and was also a member of the board of supervisors many years ago. He was always a quiet, unpretending man, but a good and estimable citizen, one whose life and habits were swayed by the best of motives.  He has had feeble health for many years, which has compelled him to forego farming, and all hard work, though he was always industrious. His wife is six years or more his junior, hale and hearty, and coming of a family whose longevity is proverbial, promises to survive her husband many years. She was one of 12, 10 of whom are living, the oldest 75, and the youngest over 50, all robust and strong.
The funeral took place at the homestead in the north part of town, on Tuesday, where were present his brothers Ephraim and William Hoyt of Chicago, formerly of Henry, and all his children, viz.: Frederick Hoyt of Clinton, Iowa; Ephraim Hoyt of Clarence, Iowa; Mrs. Charles Fulford of Peru; Mrs. T. F. Capp of Bloomington; and Miss Theola Coyt of this city. Thus passes away old and young - like the flower cut down and is withered - not knowing who may go next.

In Clayville, January 11, 1894, Mary Marinda Huggins, aged 80 years.
Funeral Saturday, January 13 at 1 o'clock from the residence of her
daughter, Mrs. Morris Steadman and from the chapel of Sauquoit Valley
Cemetery at 2 o'clock. Friends are respectfully invited to attend.
Source: Utica Daily Press, January 12, 1894, page 4
Date of Death: January 11, 1894
Joanne Garland

Unnamed & undated newspaper:  The death of Robert B. Hutchinson occurred suddenly on Saturday night at his home on Prospect Hill.  He had been working n the hay field during the day and about 4 o'clock was stricken with paralysis.  Mr. Hutchinson was born in Westmoreland 62 years ago, and with the exception of three years n Canada and twelve in Johnstown, Neb., had always lived in this vicinity.  He is survived by five daughters and one son, Sarah, Ruby, Irene, Margery, Bertha, and Arthur, all residing at home; one sister,  Alvira Rockett of Westmoreland, and three brothers, John, Norris and Amos or Oriskany.
Submitted by Dawna Holst

After a long and painful struggle against disease and death, under circumstances which won for him the sincerest sympathy, our well-known townsman, Dr. Henry R. HUGHES, was obliged to yield to the inevitable and surrender to the conqueror of all flesh, his death occurring at his home on Thursday morning of last week, Sept. 27, 1894, about 8 o’clock, of tuberculosis of the bowels.  Dr. HUGES has been a sufferer for several years, and for the past five weeks has been confined to his bed.  Last spring he went to St. Luke’s Hospital, Utica, where he remained several weeks, hoping that he might be benefited, but he was beyond medical aid, and since his return home he has failed rapidly, although his remarkable nerve and courage in the face of adverse circumstances tended to prolong his life when a weaker nature would have given up the struggle.
Dr. HUGHES was born October 6, 1847, at South Trenton, as was consequently 46 years of age.  He was the eldest of three children born to Mr. And Mrs. John HUGHES, none of whom survive him.  He spent some time at Whitestown Seminary, but did not graduate, owing to ill-health, which compelled him to leave school.  He was graduated from the medical department at Ann Arbor and spent several years at Bellevue, receiving a diploma in 1876.  He began practice at Paris Hill, and was there united in marriage to Miss M. Agnes OSBORN, Oct. 6, 1877.  He came to Clinton about fifteen years ago and has since resided here, having built up a large practice.  He is survived by his mother, Mrs. Elizabeth MORRIS, a sister, Miss Sarah MORRIS, and a daughter, Mary Elizabeth HUGES, aged seven years.  His wife died April 6, 1891.
The funeral occurred at St. James Church, of which Dr. HUGES was an attendant, on Saturday morning at 10 o’clock, the edifice being filled with sorrowing relatives and friends.  The choir of the church rendered appropriate music, and several selections of Scripture and prayers were read by the rector, Rev. Oliver OWEN, after which the remains were borne to their last resting place by the side of his lamented wife in the Osborn Family burial plot in Waterville Cemetery.  The pallbearers were all brother physicians, and were as follows:  Dr. F. M. BARROWS, Dr. James I. SCOLLARD, Dr. Isaiah DEVER, Dr. Fayette H. PECK and Dr. Conway A. FROST, of this village, Dr. F. T. GORTON, of Waterville, and Dr. Wales BUELL, of Walesville.  An affectionate testimonial of remembrance was a handsome floral piece sent by the faculty of the Clinton Union School and Academy in which institution the doctor was deeply interested.  The deceased having been a member of the Vestry of St. James Church, the brother members attended in a body as did also the members of the Board of Education.