Unsorted Obits

Use Ctrl-f (or Find) keys to find names

Henry Shaver
Rome Sentinel-December 26, 1902
West Branch, December 26 - Henry Shaver, who died recently in this village, was born in 1842 in Turin, Lewis County. When 6 years of age he came to West Branch with his parents and settled on the farm where he lived the greter portion of his life and where he passed away.  In the year 1883 he was united in marriage to Miss Rose Houser.  Three children were born to them.  He was well known throughout the community as a farmer and a man of sterling worth.  There survive his wife and three children, Pearl E., George H., and Otis E., all of this place, and two sisters, Mrs. D.T.Williams and Mrs. George W. Smith, and one aunt, Mrs. O. C. Myers of Stokes.
Kathy Last

George W. Bork
Rome Sentinel -June 15, 1904
George W. Bork, 67 years old, died at noon today from a complication of diseases at the home of his cousin, Charles Bork, No. 211 W. Bloomfield Street.  Mr. Bork was a native of Lee and a resident of that town for many years.  When a young man he was united in marriage with Miss Zenana Barnard of Lee, who survives.  During the last ten years he had boarded at White's Hotel and worked at the trade of a carpenter.  Mr. Bork had been ill for a long time and before being removed to his cousin's house ten weeks ago spent two months at Rome Hospital.  Surviving are one brother, whose whereabouts in the west
are unknown, and an adopted daughter, Mrs. Lilian Grosman of Syracuse.
Kathy Last

Frances Smith Tulloh
Rome Sentinel-June 4, 1917
After five weeks of illness with acute diabetes, Mrs. Daniel Tulloh, who was in her 75th year, died at her home, 204 Kossuth Street, on Saturday evening at 6:50 pm.  Her maiden name was Frances Clarissa Smith, and she was a daughter of the late John Smith and Fannie Root.  She was born in Remsen.  Her mother died when she was a child and the family removed to the town of Lee.  Fifty-one years ago she came to Rome to reside. July 4, 1865, she was married to Mr. Tulloh and on that date in 1915 they celebrated their golden wedding.  During her long residence in Rome, by her kindly manner and pleasing personality Mrs. Tulloh made a wide circle of friends who esteemed her very highly.  She was an attendant of the Presbyterian Church. Besides her husband, she is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Helen Record and Mrs.Lynn J. Williams, one son, George Herbert
Tulloh, four brothers, George, D. Clinton, Frank and Jerome Smith and two grandchildren, Miss Frances Helene Record and Miss Ruth Elizabeth Williams, all of Rome.  Also two sisters, Mrs.Marian Bushnell and Mrs. Louis Hartson of Lee Center.
Kathy Last

Helen Smith Tulloh
Rome Sentinel-March 28, 1910
Mrs. David J. Tulloh died at her home, 105 E. Liberty Street, at 8:40 am Sunday.  She had been out of health for a year or more and for two months had been confined to her bed.  While her death was not unexpected the end came very suddenly.  She was sitting up in bed, partaking of breakfast, when she fell back and expired.  Mrs. Tulloh's maiden name was Helen Smith.  She was born in Trenton on April 6, 1852, a daughter of the late John H. and Martha Smith.  She was married to Mr. Tulloh in this city about 34 years ago and practically all her married life had been passed here.  She is survived by her husband,
who is just recovering from a severe attack of pneumonia and is able to sit up only three or four hours a day, and a daughter, Mrs. Harry W. Barnard of Rome.  There are also surviving three sisters, Mrs. Daniel Tulloh and Mrs. W. S. Bushnell of this city and Mrs. Louis Hartson of Lee Center, and five brothers, George W. and Jay W. of West Branch, DeWitt C. of Rome, Frank H., superintendent of Rome Cemetery, and Jerome B. Smith also of Rome.  Mrs. Tulloh was an earnest member of the Presbyterian Church and was highly esteemed by all who knew her.
Kathy Last

John Houser
Rome Daily -July 3, 1929
    John Houser, Veteran Stage Driver, Passes Away at West Branch -- Death Takes Picturesque Figure Who For 50 Years Delivered Mail Between West Branch and Rome,  Retired From Active Service Two Years Ago.
    John Houser, a life long and highly esteemed resident of West Branch, and for 50 years a stage driver between the local post office and West Leyden, died this morning at 12:10 o'clock at his home in West Branch.     Born in West Branch in 1858. Mr. Houser was born in West Branch on April 13, 1858, son of the late Mr and Mrs Jerry Houser. For a time he conducted the hotel at West Branch and later purchased a 300 acre farm there.    Years ago he covered the mail route between Rome and Constableville, a distance of 36 miles, for which he received $500 a year. He would travel 18 miles of the distance himself, hiring a helper to drive the remainder of the distance.    When he took over the Rome - West Leyden stage route, he received $2,000 a year. His son, Frank assisted him on the route, driving an automobile which was used in the summer. Every winter, Mr. Houser would go back to the horses, handling the reins during the most of the winter himself. He carried freight, express passengers and mail.    Started Driving at 18 - Mr. Houser started driving stage when but a boy of 18 years. He relinquished the stage route contract a little more than two years ago and has since been living a somewhat retired life in West Branch.
    He was married in West Branch to Miss Mary Rasha of Rome who survives with his son, Frank, now of Lee Center. Mr Houser also leaves four brothers, George, Gustie, and Carl of West Branch and William Houser of this city, two sisters, Mrs Joseph Durr of Utica and Mrs Rosie Shaver of Rome, and five grandchildren.
West Branch - Much Sympathy is extended to the Houser family in the death of John Houser who passed away Wednesday.
Kathy Last

Jerry Houser
Rome Sentinel-March 10, 1927
West Branch - Jerry Houser, a well known and highly respected resident of this place, passed away Wednesday evening at 7:40 o'clock.  On Saturday he suffered a stroke and gradually failed until the end.  Mr. Houser was born in West Branch March 10, 1862, son of the late Jerry and Katherine Houser.  On Nov. 4, 1892, he was married to Emma Dorn of Constableville, who survives.  With the exception of five years when he lived in North Western, his entire life had been spent in this place.  For fifteen years he ran a saw mill. He was postmaster for four years.  Seventeen years ago he bought the farm on which he
died.  Besides his wife he is survived by one son, Ellison and the following sisters and brothers;  Mrs. Rosa Shaver of Rome, Mrs. Joseph Durr and William Houser of Utica, George, John, Augustus and Carl of this place.  He was a member of West Branch Grange and attended the Friends Church.  He was a kind neighbor and will be sadly missed.
Kathy Last

Roswell M. Raymond
Rome Sentinel-October 27, 1890
Delta - The people of this village were greatly grieved yesterday morning to learn that Roswell M. Raymond, one of the oldest and most respected citizens here, had passed away at the age of 81.  Mr. R. had been ailing for some time with a complication of diseases, which terminated in pneumonia.  He moved here from Rome 49 years ago and conducted a boot and shoe store and shop, which, owing to failing health, he had to give up five years ago.  He was always honest and upright in all his dealings.  His funeral will be held on Tuesday, the 28th, at 11 am. from the M. E. Church of which he has been a member for 40 years.  Rev. M.G. Wadsworth, assisted by Rev. J. W. Roberts, of Rome, will officiate.  Mr. Raymond leaves an aged wife, to whom he has been married for over fifty years, and one son, William R. Raymond, of Lee Centre.  In politiics he was a Democrat.
Kathy Last

David J. Tulloh
Rome Sentinel-August 8, 1910
David J. Tulloh, one of the best known and most highly esteemed residents of this city, died at 3 am today at his home, 105 E. Liberty Street, after a lingering illness.  Last February he was stricken with pneumonia and complications followed which caused his death.  David J. Tulloh was born in the town of Lee, on what is known as the Belcher road, halfway between Point Rock and West Branch, 63 years ago, a son of James and Margaret Tulloh.  He attended the district school and finished his education at Whitestown Seminary at Whitesboro, then one of the leading institutions of learning in central New York.  He came to Rome when a young man and his first employment here was with the Wardwell Brothers, hardware dealers. From there about 38 years ago, he went with S. Adams & Sons, iron founders and machinists, taking charge of their books.  He remained with them until seized by his last illness.  Some twenty years ago he purchased a livery business on W. Willett street, conducting it in connection with his other business.  A few weeks ago he sold the livery to Adam Alder & Co.  Mr. Tulloh was a member of the Presbyterian Church.  He also was a member of Roman Lodge No. 223, F & AM, Zeba Grotto No. 3, M.O.V.P.E.R., Marub Lodge, No. 288, K.P. and Rome Council No. 15, R.A.  In politics he was a Republican.  From Jan. 1, 1905 until May 1,
1909 he was a member of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners, retiring from this office by resignation.  He was a man of very fine qualities, and a sterling citizen. Every trust reposed in him he carried out to the best of his ability, which was of a  high order.  A man of very kindly disposition, he counted every acquaintance a friend.  Quiet and unassuming, he spoke no ill of any one.  If he could not conscientiously speak well of another he held his peace.  He had a high appreciation of humor, and always saw the amusing side of things.  The death of David J. Tulloh will be sincerely regretted by a wide circle of friends.  Mr. Tulloh was married in Lee 38 years ago to Miss Helen Smith, who died March 27, last Easter Sunday.  He is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Harry W. Barnard, and one brother, Daniel Tulloh, both of this city.
Kathy Last

Walter S. Bushnell
Rome Sentinel-May 20, 1905
Walter S. Bushnell, aged 55, died at Utica this morning.  He had been ill since last September, and of late had been failing rapidly.  Mr. Bushnell was born in Lee, the son of Asa Bushnell, and his early boyhood days were spent in this section, attending school in this city.  For six years he was engaged in the mercantile business at Ava Corners, and for thirteen years, until his health failed him, was in the same business at Ellisburg, Jefferson county.  He was well known and much esteemed throughout this entire section.  The remains were brought to this city today and taken to the residence of his brother-in-law,
Daniel Tulloh, 105 E. Liberty Street.  He is survived by a wife and a sister, Mrs. M. Brewer, Camden.
Kathy Last

Garfield W. Grems
Rome Sentinel-June 24, 1938
West Branch - Garfield W. Grems passed away suddenly last evening at 7:15 pm at his home here.  He was a son of the late J. Wesley and Lydia Grems.  He was born at West Branch Feb. 2, 1881.  In 1908 he went to Rome to live.  He married Miss Nina Conrad in April, 1916.  She passed away in 1921 and soon after her death he came back to West Branch where he has lived since except two years at Westmoreland and two years at Vernon.  He attended the Friends Church.  He is survived by one son, Jack and a daughter, Nina, both at home; two sisters, Miss Helen Grems, West Branch, and Mrs. R. V. Herring, Herkimer; two brothers, Edward Grems, Boonville, and Amon Grems, West Branch; and 17 nieces and nephews.  Funeral will be held Sunday at 2 pm standard time, at the Friends Church; burial at West Branch.  The Rev. A. W. Benedict will be minister.
Kathy Last

Lydia Somers Wilkinson
Rome Sentinel-August 9, 1915
Lee Center, Aug. 9 - On Saturday at about 8 0'clock pm occurred the death of Mrs. P. A.Wilkinson of this village.  She was the daughter of  Thomas Somers and Sally Ann Shaver, and was born in the town of Lee on July 16, 1839.  Her entire life was spent in this town.  in early life she  taught several of the schools in Lee including the Lee center school.  She was married to Phanette A. Wilkinson on January 15, 1863, and lived for many years on a farm near West Branch, moving in 1884 to a farm one mile east of this village.  She is survived by her husband and one son, Attorney A.. T. Wilkinson of Camden, also by three sisters and one brother, Mrs. D. C. Park, Mrs. L. F. Wentworth, Charles T. Somers of Lee, and  Mrs. F. E. Wilson of Syracuse.  The funeral will be held at the house on Tuesday at 2:30 pm.  Lydia Somers's schoolmates knew her as a quiet,
studious, home loving girl. As a woman she possessed a sterling character, one who made no pretense of religion, but believed in the creed of commendable daily living and the love of neighbor as one's self.  on lesson Mrs. Wilkinson's life teaches is cheerfulness even in darkness.  Her long and patiently-borne suffering was wonderful, and to those about her she was always uncomplaining and kind.  Those who knew her best realize most keenly the dark shadow that has fallen in the place she occupied.  For 52 years she had walked by the side of her husband, devoting to him her strength, skill and sweetness
of life, and all who knew her watched the course of her last illness with deepest sympathy for the husband who will be so lonely, the son at Camden, and the three remaining sisters.
Kathy Last

Emily Somers Myer
Rome Sentinel-March 31, 1913
Mrs. Emily Myer died this morning at 2 o'clock, aged 69 years, after a four months illness.  Her husband, Charles H. Myer, died Nov. 25, 1910.  She is survived by four sisters and one brother, Mrs. P. Wilkenson, Mrs. D. C. Park, Mrs. L. F. Wentworth, Charles Somers, all of Lee Center, and Mrs. F. E. Wilson of Syracuse.  The deceased was a member of the M. E. Church and Ladies Aid Society and was devoted to the cause and an earnest, Christian worker.  Quiet in demeanor, she yet won her way to the hearts of all who knew her and she will be sadly missed.  She was a lifelong resident of Lee Center,
the acquaintance or friend of nearly every one in the place and her death is generally mourned.  The sincere sympathy of friends is extended to the bereaved relatives.  The funeral will be held on Wednesday at 1:30 pm at the house and at 2 at the M. E. Church.
Kathy Last

Cornelia Somers Park
Rome Sentinel-February 21, 1923
Ridge Mills - At the home of her daughter, Mrs. M. E. Cleveland, Ridge Mills, at 9:45 o'clock this forenoon, occurred the death of Mrs. Cornelia Park, aged 75.  Her death was caused by heart trouble.  She had not been very well of late, although she had been up and about the house up to Tuesday evening. The fatal attack came during the morning hours.
Her maiden name was Cornelia E. Somers and she was born in Lee Center.  Her husband Dewit Park died in July 1918.  All of her life had been spent in Lee Center, with the exception of the past four years, during which time she made her home with her daughter.  Mrs. Park is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Cleveland.  She leaves two grandchildren, Mrs. Frank Hellig Jr., and Neil Cleveland; also several nieces and nephews.  She leaves two sisters, Mrs. Sarah Wilson and Mrs. Clara Wentworth of Rome, who are spending the winter in Florida and one brother, Charles Somers of Rome.  Mrs. Parks was a member of
the Lee Center M. E. Church.  She was quiet and unassuming and was a lover of her home.  She will be missed by her many friends.
Kathy Last

John W. Shaver
Rome Sentinel-March 9, 1898
Deansboro:  March 9, - John W. Shaver died on Monday, March 7, at the home of his son, Charles H., at Deansboro.  The chief cause of his death was old age.  Mr. Shaver was born in Dutchess county, NOV.. 29, 1813, and when 11 years old, moved with his parents to Lewis county, where he lived till a young man.  He then went to the town of Lee,
where most of his life was passed.  He was twice married.  His first wife was Miss Daniels, and in 1849 he was married to Miss Mary Bronson of Lee.  He experienced religion when a young man and lived a devoted, earnest, Christian life, for many years
holding the offices of class leader and steward in the M. E. Church, Lee Center.  Two sons, Robert D. Shaver of Garden City, Minn, by his first marriage, and Charles H. of Deansboro, with whom he has made his home for 25 years, one brother, H. E. Shaffer of Rochester, and one sister, Mrs. Oliver Meyers of Stokes, survive.  The funeral services will be held in the M. E. Church, Lee Center, on Thursday at 2:30 pm. Rev. J. R. Decker officiating.  Interment will be made in the Evergreen Cemetery, Lee.
Kathy Last

M. Isabella Wilkinson Somers
Rome Sentinel-October 29, 1909
After making careful preparations for the taking of her own life, Mrs. Charles Somers, of 533 West Embargo street, yesterday morning cut her throat with her husband's razor, severing the windpipe and the jugular vein.  Hardly 10 minutes had elapsed since her husband had seen her alive and when she was found by him dead.  Mr. Somers with his team, had been employed about a month on the new Rome & Osceola Railroad.  As he went to the barn yesterday morning to feed and water his horses, carrying out a pail of water, he saw his wife at the same time go out into the shed.  On returning to the house for another pail of water and to get his dinner pail, he called his wife, but there was no response, and then he looked for her and found her dead.  The Open razor by her side told the story.  Mr. Somers said that his wife had appeared to be very nervous and melancholy
the past two months, and this was also noticed by some of the relatives.  A few days ago the deceased woman told her husband of things in the house, and where they were located, articles that he did not know were in the house.  Mrs. Somers had done up all her mornings work yesterday, had washed the dishes and put them away and made up the beds.  Her best black dress she had laid over the back of a chair, evidently with the desire that she be laid way in it.  A charitable, kind and Christian woman, and an attendant at the First M. E. Church, her sad ending is a deep blow to her devoted husband and many loving friends.  Mr. Somers had kept his razor in hiding of late, but the other day after shaving he left it on the shelf where his wife found it.  He said that he had been afraid that she might take her own life.  Born in the town of lee, Mrs. Somers was a daughter of the
late Mr. & Mrs. Albert Wilkinson.  She was married in Lee 34 years ago, and with her husband lived on a farm there till eight years ago, when they moved into the city.  Mr. Somers had since personally looked after his farming interests.  Surviving besides the husband are one daughter, Mrs. Luther Evans of Oswego, formerly of Rome, and three brothers, Phrenette Wilkinson of Lee, Edward of Whiteside, Iowa, and Thomas Wilkinson of Seneca, near Auburn.  Mrs. Evans arrived from Oswego yesterday afternoon.
Kathy Last

James Tulloh
Rome Sentinel-March 18, 1886
On Thursday evening at 7:30 at the home of his son, David Tulloh, 139 Dominick Street, this city, James Tulloh died, aged 70 years.   He had been ailing for about two years but for only three weeks was he confined to his bed.  His trouble was stomach difficulty and a general wearing out of the system.  He was born in Cawdor, Nairnshire, Scotland and came to this country about 1830, taking up residence at North Bay, in this county, where he conducted a farm for many years.  Later he removed to the town of Lee.  About two years ago, shortly after the death of his wife, Mr. Tulloh came to this city and took up his
residence with his son David.  He was a man of excellent character and had the respect of all his acquaintances.  Four sisters, Mrs. James Watt, New York Mills, and three in Scotland, a brother in Scotland, and three children, Daniel and David Tulloh of Rome, and Mrs. William Ramsby of Augusta survive.
Kathy Last

Lucy Kenyon Stedman
Rome Sentinel-November 2, 1901
The death of Mrs. Lucy, wife of Willett Stedman, occurred a her home in West Lee about 5 am today.  She was born at Brookfield in the town of Lee, about a half mile from where her death occurred, and was the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Hugh Kenyon.  Her health had always been of the best until about two years ago when she had a severe attack of pneumonia.  Since that time she had been in failing health.  The direct cause of death was nervous prostration combined with a complication of diseases.  She is survived by her husband, her mother, Mr. Hugh Kenyon, and a brother, Bloomfield Kenyon, the two latter
living at New York Mills.  Mrs. Seymour Ward of this city was a cousin of the deceased.
Kathy Last

Grace Young Barnard
Rome Sentinel-February 23, 1920
At 5:30 pm on Sunday occurred the death of Mrs. Henry Barnard Jr. at her home, 316 W. Embargo St.  Three weeks ago on Tuesday at the Rome Hospital she underwent a fourth operation for an ailment for which there seems to have been no permanent relief, however, she appeared to be getting along well and was removed to her home at noon on Sunday.  She seemed to be better than ever before and was bright and cheerful, walking about the house and playing several pieces on the piano.  Later she went to her room for a rest.  Her mother soon afterward heard a noise in her daughter's room and upon going
there found her unconscious.  A physician was summoned but Mrs. Barnard had passed away before his arrival, heart failure being the cause of death.  Mrs. Barnard's maiden name was Grace A. Young.  She was a daughter of Mrs. and the late E. A. Young and was born in Lee Nov. 20, 1874.  The family removed to Rome when she was six months old.  Oct. 17, 1898 she was married to Mr. Barnard who with her mother survives.  She was a faithful member of the First Baptist Church and of the Womans Society and the Sewing Circle connected with the church.  A woman of pleasing personality and kindly
deposition and made a wide circle of friends who will sincerely mourn her death and will extend sympathy to the bereaved relatives.  She took great pleasure in rendering service for others and in deeds of charity and was much esteemed and beloved.
Kathy Last

Phanette A. Wilkinson
Rome Sentinel-Dec. 23, 1916
Lee Center, Dec. 23 - The death of Phanette A. Wilkinson, one of the oldest and most respected residents of Lee Center, occurred at 2:30 this morning.  He had been seriously ill for about twelve weeks, and had submitted to an operation at a hospital in  Utica early in October.  Although he recovered sufficiently to be removed to Lee Center, he never fully rallied from the effects of the operation, and had failed rapidly for the past two weeks. Mr. Wilkinson was born in the town of Lee, October 26, 1839, on the same farm where his father was born in 1812.  He was the son of Albert J. Wilkinson and his wife, whose
maiden name was Lovina H. Walker.  His grandfather, Josiah Wilkinson, was one of the earliest settlers in what is now the town of Lee, having come from Connecticut in 1805, and having soon thereafter purchased twenty-five acres of land, which is a part of the farm still known as the old Wilkinson homestead.  Phanette A. Wilkinson was educated in the common schools of his native town, and also attended the Union School at Lee Center.  He was married January 15, 1863 to Lydia A. Somers who died in August 1915.  His whole life was spent in Lee where he followed the vocation of farming all his life, and made a success of it.  He was for many years a justice of the peace of the town of Lee and held several other offices.  He attended the Methodist Episcopal Church here. Mr. Wilkinson was universally respected by all who knew him and was known as a loyal
friend, an upright citizen and a good neighbor, and a man who never shirked an obligation or went back on his word.  His loss will be deeply mourned by a wide circle of friends. He was the eldest of a family of four children, of whom only one, Edwin A. Wilkinson of Clarksville, Iowa, survive.  He is also survived by his son, Lawyer Albert T. Wilkinson of Camden, and by two grandchildren, Miss Mabel Wilkinson and Lawrence B. Wilkinson, and by several nephews and nieces.
The funeral will be held in the Methodist E. Church of Lee Center, Tuesday afternoon, Dec. 26, at 3:30 o'clock.
Kathy Last

Lewis F. Wentworth
Rome Sentinel-November 29, 1915
Lee Center - The death of Lewis F. Wentworth, a well known and prominent resident of Lee Center, occurred at his home about 5 o'clock on Sunday morning.  For about a year he had been a sufferer from heart trouble but had been confined to the house only since Tuesday.  Mr. Wentworth was a son of Edward and Elvira Wentworth and was born in Massachusetts on Jan. 17, 1848.  When eight years old he came to Lee and lived on a farm about one mile east of Lee Center.  His delight was agriculture, as was shown by his well tilled farm and pleasant nicely kept buildings.  About 15 years ago Mr. Wenworth came to this village to live.  On Aug. 26, 1874, he was married to Miss Clara Summers, who, with an adopted son, Palmer Gould, survives.  Mr. Wentworth will be greatly missed in the community.  He was a quiet, homeloving man, much devoted to his family.  The community will deeply sympathize with the survivors in their bereavement.  Funeral services will be held at his late home on Wednesday.
Kathy Last

Henry Barnard Sr.
Rome Sentinel-August 1, 1922
Henry Barnard Sr. died at his home, 106 W. Embargo St., at 1 o'clock this morning.  He had been out of health for the past year, and for about four weeks had been confined to his bed with Bright's disease and complications.  Henry Barnard Sr. was one of family of eight children, four sons and four daughters, of John Barnard and Mary Smith, was born at Lee (State Road) June 28, 1836, and was therefore in his 87th year.  His father was a farmer and also conducted a tannery and shoe shop at Lee, and the young man remained with him until he was in his 20th year, when he came to Rome.  In this city he started as
an apprentice to the harness maker's trade with the late James Elwell.  When he had finished his trade in 1861 Mr. Barnard, in partnership with the late Charles F. Keith, purchased the business of Mr. Elwell.   This partnership continued for about 15 years, when the firm sold out to the late Edward Barnard, a brother of Henry Barnard Sr.   Three years later Mr. Barnard again embarked in the harness and saddlery business, subsequently taking as a partner the late W. W. Peake.  This partnership continued a number of years.  After its dissolution Mr. Barnard continued the business alone for a while, and then formed a partnership with his brother Edward Barnard, and they conducted a wholesale and retail harness and saddlery business in the Wiggins Block on W. Dominick St.  When that block was destroyed by fire the firm bought the block at 111-115 W. Dominick street and built a factory in the rear, the retail business passing into the hands of Henry Barnard Jr. who still conducts it.  Some years thereafter Henry Barnard Sr. sold his interest in the factory to his brother Edward and retired from active business.  The manufacturing business is now conducted by the Edward Barnard Co.  In politics Mr. Barnard was a Democrat and for many years was active in the councils of his party.  In 1892 Hon. E. Stuart Williams, then Mayor of Rome, appointed Mr. Barnard a
member of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners and he served one term.  In 1899 he was appointed an alderman in the old fifth ward to fill the vacancy caused by the election of Alderman A. S. White to the Mayoral.  At the expiration of his term he was elected alderman to succeed himself, although the fifth ward was a Republican stronghold.  Mr. Barnard was the oldest member of the board of directors of the Rome Savings Bank and at the time of his death was first vice president of the institution.  For many years he was one of the appraisers of the bank.  He was a gentleman of the old school, ever kind and courteous to all, and stood very high in the business circles of this city.  He was greatly esteemed by all who knew him and in his long and successful business career he had made wide acquaintances throughout central New York.  Although quiet, almost retiring, in his disposition he made friends of all who came in contact with him and his death will cause a feeling of sadness throughout the city.  he was a member of the Rome Club.  In 1871 Mr. Barnard married Miss Sarah Smith of Middleville,
Herkimer county.  She passed away in May, 1914. He is survived by one son, Henry Barnard, two daughters, Misses Minnie and Ernestine Barnard, and one sister, Mrs. Etta B. Keith, all of this city.
Kathy Last

Mary Smith Barnard
Rome Sentinel-May 5, 1897
Mrs. Mary Smith Barnard, widow of John Barnard and an old and well known resident of Lee and Rome, died at her home, No. 417 West Liberty street, at 12:10 o'clock Wednesday night, in the 89th year of her age.  She did not appear to have any disease, but suffered a general breaking down of the system, due to her age.  She had been ailing all winter, but was confined to her bed less than four weeks.  Up to almost the last the family did not expect a fatal termination, but thought she would raly again.  The end came peacefully and she passed away very quietly and without a struggle.  Mary Smith Barnard
was a daughter of Levi Smith, and was born in town of Lee on December 10, 1808.  She was married on October 4, 1830 and lived on the State road, town of Lee, until 1867, when she moved to Rome and passed the remainder of her days in the house where she died.  Her husband passed away on October 6, 1865.  She was the mother of eight children, seven of whom survive, as follows:  Mrs. James Elwell, John Barnard, Henry Barnard, Mrs. Charles Keith, Jay Barnard, Edward Barnard, and Mrs. Etta Keith, widow of James L. Keith, all of whom live in Rome.  The other daughter, Mrs. E. B. Tupper, died Feb.    5, 1887.  Mrs. Barnard came of a long lived family.  Her father lived to a great age, and her only surviving sister, Mrs. A. I. Storey of Summit, Wis. died on Feb. 7, 1896, aged 92 years.  She had a wide circle of acquaintances and was greatly beloved by
all who knew her.  She retained the use of her faculties up to the very last in spite of her age.  Her memory was good and some years ago she recovered her second sight and could read without spectacles.  She had a very cheerful temperament and was a kind and warm-hearted neighbor.  Few persons were more generally esteemed.  Her cheerful and sunny deposition made her a welcome visitor wherever she went. Although she lived to a good old age she did not grow old in spirit but was always interested in the young people and their plans.  She had a word of good cheer for everyone.  Mrs. Barnard was a very
sympathetic nature and in the sick room was particularly helpful. Every year a family reunion was held on Thanksgiving day and the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren that gathered on those occasions made up a company that numbered from
32 to 35 persons, to all of whom her death will came as a personal loss.
Kathy Last

Emily Barnard Elwell
Rome Sentinel-December 28, 1908
The death of Mrs. Emily Elwell, widow of James Elwell, occurred suddenly at the home of her sister, Mrs. Elizabeth B. Keith, 113 W. Court Street, at 8:30 am today.  Mrs. Elwell, for some time had experienced heart difficulty, but it was not considered serious.  This morning while in the laundry in the basement she was stricken and death soon followed.  She was a daughter of the late John Barnard Sr. and Mary Smith and was born in the town of Lee 76 years ago.  All her life had been spent in that town and in Rome.  The death of Mr. Elwell occurred in this city eight years ago.  Surviving are one daughter, Mrs. James W. Kittrell of Catskill, with whom Mrs. Elwell had spent considerable time since the death of her husband; one brother and two sisters, Henry Barnard Sr., Mrs. Elizabeth B. Keith and Mrs. Etta B. Keith, all of Rome.  Mrs. Elwell was a sonsistent
member of Zion Episcopal Church.  During her long residence in this vicinity she had made many friends who will sincerely regret her death.  She was a charitably inclined woman and was loved and respected by all who enjoyed the pleasure of her acquaintance.
Kathy Last

John Barnard
Rome Sentinel-May 1, 1908
John Barnard, a well known and highly respected resident of the town of lee, died on Thursday afternoon.  He was born in that town 74 years ago and always had resided there.  He always followed the vocation of farming, of which he made a success.  Mrs. Barnard died about a year ago.  Surviving are three children, Fred J. Barnard of Rome, Miss Mame Barnard of Lee and Mrs. R. J. Williams of New York; also one brother and three sisters, Henry Barnard Sr., Mrs. Elizabeth Keith, Mrs. Etta Keith and Mrs. Emily Elwell, all of Rome.  Perhaps no man was better known in the town of Lee and surrounding country than John Barnard.  He was a man of excellent business ability, square in his dealing and did unto others as he sought to be done by.
Kathy Last

James L. Keith
Rome Sentinel-October 21, 1892
James L. Keith of 417 W. Liberty St. died at 4 o'clock Monday afternoon aged 61 yrs.  Mr. Keith had suffered for nearly four years with consumption to which disease his death was due.  He was born in Newport, Herkimer county, New York and at 15 yrs of age removed to Foreston, Illinois where he lived for 5 yrs going from there to Freeport, Illinois.  He became engaged in the fruit business in that city, making it his home for 40 years.  Failing health necessitated his retirement and last spring he moved to Rome hoping that the change of climate would prove beneficial.  This hope was disappointed however as he continued to fail in health and his death was not unexpected.  Besides a widow, Etta Barnard Keith, an adopted son, Arthur, sruvives him, also his brothers, Bowen Keith of Fairport, George of Illion, and his sister, Nancy Childs of Waukeegan, Illinois.  The deceased was a son of the late James Keith and a brother of the late Charles F. Keith of Rome.
Kathy Last

Maria Barnard Tupper
Rome Sentinel-February 1, 1887
On Saturday at 8 pm after months of wasting disease and patient suffering, Mrs. Maria Barnard Tupper, wife of Edward B. Tupper, died at her home, 113 Liberty Street, in her 43rd year. About eighteen months ago the deceased underwent a severe attack of pneumonia, and for days hovered between life and death.  This terrible disease left the patient in a weakened and debilitated condition and she drifted into consumption.  Possessed of a strong constitution and great vitality, she made a determined battle against the inroad of disease.  Nothing that loving friends and relatives could do was left undone.  All was vain, however.   The dread disease slowly but surely sapped her life away.  She was not wholly confined to her bed until a short time before her death.  During her last few weeks on earth she suffered severe and excruciating pain.  She was very patient
through her long illness and no complaint escaped her lips.  She desired much to live for her husband and two little children, but when she came to know that she must go she was calm and resigned, praying in her moments of pain that death might soon come to her relief.  Her last day was peaceful and free from suffering, and when she died her spirit took its departure so quietly that the friends about her bedside hardly realized that the end had come and that the one they loved so well was at rest.  Mrs. Tupper was born at Lee (State Road) and was a daughter of the late John Barnard.  About twenty years ago she came to this city with her mother and family and remained here till he death.  For about eleven years she, with her sister, formerly Miss Etta Barnard, now Mrs. James L. Keith, was employed in the furnishing store of H. Hannahs.  Possessed of a very genial and
sunny disposition, she made friends rapidly and kept them easily.  In October 1880 she was married to Edward B. Tupper of this city.  Her husband, a daughter aged five years and a son aged one and one-half years survive; also her aged mother, Mrs. Mary Barnard of this city, four brothers, John Barnard of Lee and Henry, Edward and Jay Barnard of Rome, and three sisters, Mrs. C. F. Keith, and Mrs. James Elwell of Rome and Mrs. James L. Keith of Rockford, Ill.  The family of eight children is first broken by the death of Mrs. Tupper. She was a member and communicant of Zion Church and a true Christian.
Kathy Last

Daniel L. Wagar
Rome Sentinel-May 3, 1893
Daniel L. Wagar, an old resident and respected farmer of the town of Lee, died yesterday, aged 69 years.  He had been ill one week with pneumonia.  Mr. Wagar was born in the town of Brunswick, Rensselaer county, NY and came to Lee forty years ago.   He was a man of many good qualities, honest and upright.  In early life he worked in Rome at his trade as a carpenter, but the latter part of his years he spent at farming.  His wife survives.  Also one brother, William, and one sister, Mrs. Mary Hyde of Brunswick.
Kathy Last

DeWitt C. Park
Rome Sentinel-July 22, 1918
After an illness of seven months, DeWitt C. Park, a well known and highly respected citizen of Lee Center, died at the Rome Hospital at 9:30 o'clock this morning.  He had been there for treatment for some time.  He was a son of the late William A. and Sarah Ford Park and was born in Lee Center June 9, 1838, in which place the greater part of his life had been spent.  In his young manhood he taught school in the state of Kentucky.  He enlisted in the Civil War August 13, 1862, at Rome, in Co. G 117th Regiment, NY Volunteers, serving three years.  During a forced march in the battle of Drurys Bluff in July 1864, he received three severe sunstrokes being picked up insensible and taken to the hospital at Hampton, Virginia. From that time to the present he had been a sufferer.  He was a member of Starr Post, G.A.R., at Lee Center.  He was brought to the home of his daughter at Ridge Mills April 7, 1918, since that time his health has gradually failed, till death claimed him.  In Dec. 1868 he was united in marriage with Cornelia E. Somers.  He is survived by his wife and one daughter, Mrs.M. E. Cleveland of Ridge Mills, and two grandchildren, Ethel M. and Neil M. Cleveland, one sister, Helen M. Kenyon of Lee Center, and one brother, William A. Park of Camden, besides several nieces and nephews.
Kathy Last

Estelle Tulloh Barnard
Rome Sentinel-August 6, 1929
Mrs. Harry W. Barnard of 907 N. George Street, was found drowned in Lake Delta at five minutes before 3 o'clock this afternoon.  About 11:30 this morning her chauffeur took her to the Rome Wire Company's camp on the lake between the Teugega Country Club and the dam.  She asked him to return for her in a short time.  He returned in a little while but did not find Mrs. Barnard.  The chauffeur then went away looking for her and came back but did not find her.  After a while he went to the Teugega Country Club for aid and in company with Milton Theobald, the club's professional, they searched about in thevicinity of the camp.  Her body was found fully clothes in shallow water.  It is supposed she was walking along the shore and fell and struck her head on a stone, becoming unconscious and unable to help herself.  Dr. Dan Mellen was summoned and immediately began work of trying to resuscitate her.  The pulmotor from the police station was taken to Lake Delta in the hope that it might be effective.  Coroner Hubbard was notified and immediately went to Lake Delta.  Mrs. Barnard was Estella Tulloh, a daughter of the late David A. Tulloh.  Her whole life had been spent in Rome.  In September 1903 she was married to Mr. Barnard.
Kathy Last

Mary Campbell Barnard
Rome Sentinel-May 8, 1907
Mrs. Mary E. Barnard, aged 78 years, died from heart failure at 10:10 am today at the home of Charles H. Saulpaugh at Lee (State Road).  She had been confined to her bed for the past four weeks.  Mrs. Barnard was born in the town of Lee, where she always resided.  She was a daughter of Frank & Elizabeth Campbell and was born on Jan. 24, 1829.  She was a member of the Methodist Church of Lee.  The surviving relatives besides her husband, John Barnard, are three children, Fred J. Barnard of Rome, Mrs. R. J. Williams of New York, and Miss Marie E. Barnard of Lee.  She also leaves two brothers and two sisters, Edward Campbell of Rome, Timothy Campbell, Mrs. Charles Cook and Mrs. William Armstrong of Taberg.  Mrs. Barnard was a kind and sympathetic neighbor and friend and was always ready to respond to calls for assistance in times of trouble and affliction.  She will be greatly missed in the community where her life was spent.
Kathy Last

Lewis N. Benedict
Rome Sentinel-April 24, 1938
Lewis N. Benedict, 81, retired teacher, grocer and farmer, died at his home, Rome-Bartlett road, yesterday afternoon after a two years illness.  Mr. Benedict was born in Wisconsin, son of the late Edward and Phoebe Overton Benedict and when a boy went to Victory, NY with his father.  He was educated in Red Creek Academy and later taught school in district schools there.  In 1879 Mr. Benedict came to Rome, becoming a teacher at the Central New York School for the Deaf.  He retired from that profession in 1892.  For a time he conducted a store here and then moved to the farm where he died.  On June 22, 1881, Mr. Benedict married Miss Harriet J. Lockwood. Two children were born to this union, Mrs. John Z. Moore, missionary for the Methodist Episcopal Church of Colorado Springs to Pyeng-Yang, Korea, and Bayard F. Benedict, Indianapolis.  Mrs.
Moore has two children, Harriett E. and James B. of Mr. Union College, Alliance, O.  Mrs. Benedict died February 19, 1899, and on December 24, 1902, Mr. Benedict married Emma J. Weaver, Smyrna, NY.  To this union was born three children, Esther R., at home; Augustus W., pastor of the Friends (Quaker) Church at West Branch, and Charles E., Indianapolis.  There also are seven other grandchildren.  Funeral services will be held at the John J. Strong Funeral Home, this city, Wednesday at 2 pm.
Kathy Last

Julia VanWagenen Hartson
Rome Sentinel-March 13, 1901
Stokes - The death of Mrs. Monroe Hartson, aged 65 years, occurred at her home near here on Tuesday at 10 am.  The cause of death was pneumonia, superinduced by the shock of the death of her son, Dr. Jesse A. Hartson, which occurred in Ava on March 7.  The day previous to his death she rode from her home to that of her son's, about five miles and caught cold, and feeling ill she returned to her home the following day and took to her bed, pneumonia developing the same day.  Mrs. Hartson was, prior to her marriage, Miss Julia VanWagenen, a daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Wessel B. VanWagenen, and was
born in Chautauqua County.  While still very young her parents moved to this vicinity.  Nearly forty years ago she was married to Monroe Hartson and they took up their residence in the house where she died.  From her long residence here she had made many acquaintances, and nearly all had developed into a warm friendship and respect, as the deceased was a woman of amiable disposition, kind hearted, and one who was ready at all times to befriend a person in need.  Besides the husband there survive one daughter and two sons, Mrs. William Jones and Lewis N. Hartson of North Western and LeRoy C. Hartson who lives with his parents at the homestead, a brother, L. Van Wagenen of Westernville, and two sisters, Mrs. E. G. Stevens of Camden and Mrs. Jeptha Brainard of Illinois.  Much sympathy is expressed for the family in their double affliction.  The
funeral will be held from the deceased's late home at 1 pm Friday.
Kathy Last

Evan V. Evans
Rome Sentinel-May 3, 1921
Death claimed one of Rome's best citizens at 5:10 pm standard time on Monday,  when Rev. Evan Vincent Evans passed away at his home, 720 N. Madison Street.   His health had been failing gradually during the past 18 months.  He was born in Oriskany August 4, 1848, son of the late Mr. & Mrs. William Vincent Evans.  When only a few months old his parents moved to a farm in the village of Delta in the Town of Western.  January 1, 1872 he married Miss Elizabeth Roberts who survives.  At an early age he displayed a fondness for the study of theology and in it he became well versed and in had able service as a Methodist supply minister had occupied pulpits in Steuben, New London, Lee Valley and Delta, preaching in Delta for the last six months before the state took that village for a storage reservoir for the Barge Canal, now Lake Delta.  Nineteen years ago he retired and for 17 years thereafter he lived in Lee Center, coming to Rome nearly two years ago.  Rev. Mr. Evans' life had been an exemplary one.  He was happy when tiling the soil and sincere when, on Sunday, he sought to picture to his fellowmen the message which Christ has left for the guidance of man in life.  Besides his wife he is survived by these sons and daughters: E. Luther Evans, Syracuse, Mrs. Kathryn Thomas, at home, 720 N. Madison street, Willard Evans of Lee Center, Mrs. Arthur Slone and Mrs. Adolph Rebe of Lee Center, also six brothers and one sister, Hugh Evans, John , Lewis, Edward, George V.,
all of Lee Center, and William H. of Rome, and Mrs. Mary Pitcher of Clinton, and there are 11 grandchildren.
Kathy Last

Elvira Cleveland Wentworth
Rome Sentinel-January 6, 1908
On Saturday morning at 7 o'clock occurred the death of Mrs. Elvira Wentworth, widow of  Edward Wentworth, an esteemed resident of this place.  Mrs. Wentworth had been an invalid for many years, but her last illness dates from December 23, from which time she suffered great agony until the end came.  Elvira Cleveland was born in Massacusetts Sept. 26, 1824, and was united in marriage with Edward Wentworth April 11, 1844.  He died Nov. 27, 1897.  Mrs. Wentworth is survivied by two children, Mrs. Lillie M. Burk, who resided with her mother, and Lewis F. Wentworth of Lee Center; also one sister living at
Windsor, Mass.  The following sisters recently died:  Lucinda A. Cleveland who passed away May 23, 1907, aged 95 years, and Melvina E. Hurlbert, who died Sep. 1, 1907, aged 86 years.  Mrs. Wentworth was most kindly cared for by the above named daughter, and William Burk, a beloved grandson.  She was loved and respected by a large circle of friends who extend to the relatives sincere sympathy.  Funeral services will be held at the family residence on Tuesday at one o'clock.
Kathy Last

Sarah Ann Aucutt Clemens
Rome Sentinel-April 1, 1916
Utica - Mrs. Sarah Ann Clemens, widow of William Clemens, died on Thursday night at the Old Ladies Home after an illness of 10 days. She had been an inmate of the home since August 6, 1907.  She was born in Westernville Feb. 5, 1839, her maiden name being Aucutt and she had spent the greater part of her life in that vicinity.  She leaves one daughter, Mrs. Cyrus DeLapp, and one grandchild, of Richland.  Her remains were brought from Utica to Westernville this afternoon where interment was made.
Kathy Last

Lucy Emily Jacocks Wilson
Rome Sentinel-February 8, 1912
Lucy Emily Wilson died at 32 Faxton Street, Utica, on Wednesday.  She was born near West Branch, Oct. 11, 1836, and was a daughter of the late Robert and Lucy Jacobs.  She was married in 1863 to Harrison Wilson of this city.  In 1868 Mr. Wilson went to Colorado and located at Evergreen, about 30 miles from Denver.  Two years later Mrs. Wilson joined her husband and they resided on the same place until Mr. Wilson's death in 1889.  Mrs. Wilson was then left with the care of the ranch, as their two children had died when small.  A few years after Mrs. Wilson came to Oneida county visiting and as most of her relatives and those of her husband resided here she decided to close up her financial affairs in Colorado and return to this state to spend her declining years.  The subject of this sketch was a woman of rare personal ability, ever ready to aid those in sickness or distress, and her willing hands found a large field for work in their western home.  She taught school for some time in their early days in Colorado, being one of the first teachers in that section of the country.  She was a member of the First M. E. Church
of this city, where the funeral will be held at 1 pm Friday.  Interment will be in Evergreen Cemetery.
Kathy Last

Erwin S. Countryman
Rome Sentinel-March 18, 1939
Death of Erwin S. Countryman, 68, occurred late yesterday at his home, 154 W. Dominick St.  A heart attack was given as the cause.  Born in Lewis County, Mr. Countryman had lived in Rome for many years. He retired seven years ago from the
employ of Revere Copper & Brass Incorporated.  He had served this firm and its predecessor, the Rome Brass & Copper Company, for a long period.  A month ago he married Mrs. Anna Wilder.  Surviving besides his widow are a stepdaughter, Mrs. Phoebe Swain, Rome, a stepson, Lewis McLean, Syracuse, and a brother, William P. Countryman, Westernville.
Kathy Last

William Park
Rome Sentinel-September 20, 1880
Lee Centre Notes:
William Park died at Lee Centre, Sept. 19, in his 92nd year.  Mr. Park came from Berkshire county, Mass, in 1795, and with the exception of about one and one-half years, he has lived in Lee since that time.  He settled on the farm now occupied by Chas. L. Stedman, one mile east of Lee Centre.  He raised a family of ten children, seven of whom are now living, viz: Mrs. David Young, Mrs. Orrin Kenyon, DeWitt C. Park and William A. Park, of Lee Centre; Mrs. Charles Elmer of Delta; John Q. Parks of Minnesota Falls, Minnesota, and George W. Park of Prophetstown, Illinois.  Deceased was one of the foremost citizens of Lee in his day.  He was supervisor of his town thirteen consecutive years.  He was also Justice of the Peace three terms and held other offices of honor and trust.  Mr. Park led an honored and useful life, and was highly respected by all.  The
funeral will take place in Lee Centre Wednesday at 1 pm.
Rome Sentinel
October 5, 1880
(Lengthy write-up, front page, same basic information as obit following but a little less family history)
(Probably Roman Citizen but name of paper and date not indicated on clipping.  Copies of this time period not found on microfilm at Jervis Library.)
The late William Park was the youngest child born to the late Jacob Park of Sangerfield, Berkshire county, Mass.  William was born in said town on the 27th day of April, 1789, and died in Lee on the evening of the 19th of Sept. 1880, at the uncommon age of 91-1/2 years.  The widowed mother, in 1795, took six of her children and removed from Massachusetts to that part of Oneida County known as Steuben and located a farm at what was then called the west end of the settlement.  The farm is now owned and occupied by G. W. Stedman.  At the age of (21), in 1810, William and his elder brother, the late Abijah Park, purchased a farm embracing lands upon which are our main public buildings, including the churches, stores and various shops and places of business, except the grist and saw mills and the tannery.  Lee Center then had no name in history but was
known as the Western Settlement between the Eastern civilization and Canada.  In 1812 Lee had been incorporated and admitted among the towns in the county.  During this year Mr. Park volunteered and went to Sackett's Harbor at the call of his country, stayed three months and returned to his home.  In 1814 he again went and stayed forty days.  He gave the grounds upon which the Union Church was built in 1819 to the Union Eccelsiastical Society to be kept forever for their use as a church, and also gave the town authority, subsequently, to build a hall in the basement, and guaranteed the right of way.  In 1861, at
the breaking out of the rebellion, his patriotic ardor broke forth, and his boys heard him say that if he was young again he would shoulder his musket and start for the field of deadly conflict.  Dewit, his oldest son at home, taking the hint, enlisted, and John, an older brother, then in the west, enlisted.  Subsequently, when the draft came, William, the boy at home, was drawn.  The father needed his help and raised $300, the draft money.  In 1817, Mr. Park, although quite young, was held in such esteem by his fellow citizens, that he was elected to the office of Supervisor of Lee, and for fourteen successive years he was re-elected to that office.  He had gained the entire confidence of his townsmen and from time to time other important offices of trust were conferred upon him.  He was estensively known and respected throughout the county.  He was always temperate in his
habits, strictly upright and honest in his dealings with his fellow man.  As a magistrate or justice of the peace sitting to arbitrate between parties, his only aim was to ascertain what was just.  He was rigidly impartial, giving his opinions fearlessly.  It may be said of him, in his deals, that with him 99 cents didn't make a dollar and 101 cents made more than a dollar, and he was willing to give and receive a just dollar.  He was a father of eleven children, seven of whom survive him, and they have families of their own.  There are several grandchildren and two great-grandchildren, but distance and cares have prevented them from being present at the funeral.  The aged patricarch lived to see the sixth generation.  Notwithstanding his age and feebleness, and the infirmities of human nature during his last sickness and suffering, the coming Presidential delection occupied his mind, and never in any intercourse with him have I seen him more interested in any election that he was in that of November next.  He was highly delighted at the results in Maine, and wished that Garfield and Arthur would be elected.
Kathy Last

Jesse A. Hartson
Rome Sentinel-March 7, 1901
Ava - The death of Dr. Jesse A. Hartson occurred at his home here at 12:15 this afternnon.  The cause of his death was pneumonia, from which he had been suffering for about a week.  There was a council of physicians yesterday and last night, but it was found impossible to relieve him.  The deceased was about 33 years of age and have lived here for some six years. He was graduated at the Baltimore Medical College and for a time was in the office of Dr. Cox at Lee Center.  He had been the correspondent of the Sentinel for several years.  In the community where he had lived he was highly esteemed, both in his professional capacity and as a neighbor.  He had been town clerk of Ava for the past three years, and was again elected on Tueday on the Democratic ticket by a majority of twenty-three.  Surviving besides his wife and son are his father and mother,
Mr. & Mrs. Monroe Hartson of Stokes, two brothers, Lewis of North Western and Roy of Stokes, a sister, Mrs. William Jones of North Western.
Kathy Last

Squire Darling
Rome Sentinel-June 18, 1928
Bursting of an inflated inner tube of an automobile tire used as a means of support while swimming caused the drowning of Squire Darling, 23, of 110 Spring Street, yesterday afternoon at the swimming hole near the bridge in Stanwix.  Mr. Darling had been in the water for about half an hour and as he could not swim he was using an inflated inner tube for support.  The tube was small and he changed to a larger one and as he was near the middle of the pool it burst and he sank.  Two friends went to his aid, but they could not catch hold of him.  The two men, Clinton Nash and Edward Webb, Rome, then called for
help and the Rome police were notified.  Chief of Police Owens and Officers Engelbrecht, Shanley, Harrison and Skibitski responded with grappling hooks and the body was recovered.  Emilio Spadafora, scoutmaster of the East Rome Troop of Boy
Scouts, applied the Shafer method of resuscitation, but to no avail.  Dr. Gordon Holden, coroner, Utica, was called in the absence of Dr. H. F. Hubbard, Rome Coroner.  Squire Darling was born near Glenmore, town of Annsville, 23 years ago, a son of John B. and the late Carrie Aucutt Darling.  He was educated in District School No. 14, and came to the city four years ago.  He was employed in the plant of the Rome Brass and Copper Company.  Suviving besides his father are two brothers and three sisters, Gordon Darling of this city, Herbert L. of Utica,  Mrs. Edward Maine, Cassbville, Mrs. Sylvester
Robillard, New York Mills, and Miss Ethel Darling, Clayville.  (Funeral Notice - Funeral will be held Wednesday.  Interment in Evergreen Cemetery)
Kathy Last

Ellen M. Stedman Waterman
Rome Sentinel-March 19, 1904
Taberg - At 8 o'clock this morning occurred the death of Ellen M., wife of Calvin M. Waterman, aged about 70 years.  She had been in ill health for nearly two years but was feeling as well as usual yesterday until about 9 pm, when she suffered a paralytic shock, from which she never rallied.  Mrs. Waterman was the oldest daughter of the late Mr. & Mrs. Oliver Stedman and was born in the town of Lee, but has spent the greater part of her life in this town.  She was a member of the Taberg M. E. Church and will be greatly missed in the church and by a large circle of friends.  She is survived by her husband, one
daughter, Mrs. Philo Collins of Lairdsville, and the following brothers and sisters: G. R. and E. K. Stedman and Mrs. Susie Bailey, of this village, Mrs. Elizabeth and Mrs. Ida Smith of Minnesota, Mrs. Jay Miller of Fonda and Mrs. George Gray of Mannsville.  Notice of funeral will be given later.
Kathy Last

Charles H. Myers
Rome Sentinel-November 26, 1910
Delta - Coroner G. N. Lehr of Rome was called here on Friday evening to investigate the circumstances of the death of Charles H. Myers of Lee Center.  It was found that death resulted from heart trouble with which Mr. Myers had been affected for about two years.  Mr. Myers left his home in Lee Center in the afternoon in company with William Windelspecht, to come to the Ragan farm here for a load of cornstalks.  While in the field about five o'clock Mr. Myers was seized with heart trouble and expired before medical assistance could be summoned.  Mr. Myers was well known in this vicinity and had held several town offices including overseer of the poor for several terms, and at the time of his death he was a member of the Board of Education of Lee Center, and had served as president of the board.  Mr. Myers was born in the town of Vienna 64 years ago.  In Lee
Center 43 years ago he married Emily Somers.  They lived in Vienna and North Bay for seven years and then went to Lee Center and have since lived there.  He attended the M. E. Church.  Mrs. Myers is the only surviving member of the family.  The remains were taken in charge by J. B. Wiggins & Son and removed to Mr. Myers late home in Lee Center.
Kathy Last

Ellen Pritchard Darling
Rome Sentinel-December 2, 1930
Point Rock - Ellen R. Pritchard, wife of Clinton W. Darling, passed away at a Utica hospital Monday after a long illness.  She had been in failing health since early last spring.  She was a woman highly esteemed by all who knew her and sympathy is
extended to the bereaved family.  Mrs. Darling was born in Lee Center October 6, 1890, daughter of C. Enoch Prichard and the late Mary Streun Pritchard.  She was united in marriage with Clinton W. Darling January 1, 1913 at Rome.  For several years they lived in Westmoreland, eight years ago purchasing the Lewis Henry place in Point Rock, where they have since resided.  Mrs. Darling attended the Point Rock M. E. Church.  Surviving beside her husband and father are one son, Donald C., four sisters, Mrs. John Greindl, Mrs. Henry Smith, Point Rock, Mrs. Roland Wood, Taberg, and Mrs. John CasBaker,
Rome, one brother, Richard Pritchard, Point Rock,   Funeral will be Thursday.  Interment in Point Rock Cemetery.
Kathy Last

Clarence P. Grogan
Rome Sentinel
The Rome Police Station will not be the same without Sgt. Clarence P. Grogan, who died unexpectedly Monday at the age of 69.  A member of the police force since 1921, he had been in charge of the desk the communications, booking and complaint center for more than 30 years.
This is a position from which one sees all aspects of life.  Sgt. Grogan maintained his sense of humor, his appreciation of the outdoor life that he loved and his devotion to his assigned duties.
He was a good man who will be missed in our police department and community.
Sgt. Clarence P. Grogan January 14, 1888 1957.
On March 4th, 1957, The Rome Police Department, lost from its ranks, a devoted and beloved member.
The passing of Sergeant Clarence P. Grogan is indeed a great loss to the police department, and to the entire community.   A devoted servant for thirty-six years, Sergeant Grogan had proven himself a valuable Police Officer and a Gentleman, and in the performance of his duty he was unswerven, honest, with a character above reproach.
Long known for his ardent love of the field and stream, Sergeant Grogan was popular among those in the sporting circles.  As a police officer, he was loved and respected by those of us that had the honor of working with him.
The Philip S. McDonald Police Benevolent Association mourns the passing of this respected member, and extends its sympathies and condolences to those whom he has left behind.