Unsorted Obits 4

Use Ctrl-f (or Find) keys to find names

Died 1873
In this place, on Monday, Feb. 3d, Louise, wife of M. W. BARKER, age 64 years.
(Louise McLean Barker)

In New Hartford, Dec. 30, 1864, Mrs. Minerva L. CASE, widow of Zacheus CASE, aged 77 years.

Aug. 31st, 1897
The funeral of John S. BARKER was held from his late residence on Tuesday afternoon.  Rev. M. D. SILL, pastor of the M. E. Church, officiated.  The four sons of the deceased acted as pallbearers.  There was a very large attendance of people from all parts of the town.  Interment was made in Clinton Cemetery.

Death of Mrs. Maria BARKER, Sept. 1900
Mrs. Maria Addington BARKER, widow of the late Marshall W. BARKER, died at her home on East Park Row, yesterday afternoon about 2 o’clock, age 85 years.  She had been quite feeble for several weeks and her death was not unexpected, though the end came quite suddenly.  Mrs. BARKER’s first husband was James ADDINGTON, of Paris Hill.  Five children were born to them, all of whom are now dead, four having died in 1859?, within a few days of each other of diphtheria, their ages ranging from 6 to 18 years.  The deceased was the third wife of Mr. BARKER, whose first wife, Malina LUMBARD, was her sister.  Of her father’s family four half brothers and two half sisters survive.  They are:  Thomas and Ralph LUMBARD, of this town, George LUMBARD, of Lincoln, Neb., John LUMBARD, of Eaton, Miss Elizabeth LUMBARD, of this village, and Mrs. William BARTON, of Kankakee, Ill.  Mrs. BARKER was a faithful member of the Methodist Church, of which she was a generous and willing supporter.  She was much given to kindly deeds of charity of which none but herself and those she helped were cognizant.  Funeral services will be held on Friday, at 10:30 a. m., at the house; her pastor, Rev. M. D. SILL, officiating.  Interment on Paris Hill.
Mrs. Maria L. BARKER, born in the town of Kirkland, N. Y., Nov. 1, 1815 and died at her home, Clinton, N. Y., Sept. 18, 1900. Four children died of diphtheria in February 1859.  Her husband, James ADDINGTON, died May 17, 1861.  On May 13, 1874 she was married to Marshall W. BARKER, whose first wife, Malina LUMBARD, was her sister.  Eight years prior to her own death, her 2nd husband died.  She left $500, the interest of which is to be used for repairs.  She was laid to rest by the side of her children and first husband in Paris Hill.

August 14, 1846
In Kirkland, Oneida County, New York, T. M. wife of Marshall W. BARKER, age 40 years and 10 months.  Sister BARKER, with her husband, became a member of the M. E. Church in the month of June 1843, and remained a worthy member of the same until her death.  During much of the time she suffered from feeble health, and this added to her natural reserve, hindered her from participating in the more active and public duties of a Christian life, as much as she would otherwise have done.  Put in her more retired sphere of action she adorned her profession, and was respected and beloved by all who knew her.  She left at her death a family of seven children; the youngest being only a few days old.  As death drew near she expressed her hope of heaven, her confidence and trust in God, and her resignation to his will.  And thus she died the mortal pangs were soon over, and she ascended to her heavenly rest.  Thither, through infinite mercy, may all her surviving friends follow her when in their turn their earthly course shall terminate!
A. J. Dana.

At Clinton, Oct. 3, Ellen E. BARKER, wife of John S. BARKER, aged 34 years.

In Chicago, Nov. 9, of consumption, Mrs. S. Jane, wife of Mr. Charles R. BARTON.
Mrs. BARTON was formerly of Deansville, Oneida County, N. Y., the daughter of Mr. BARKER, for many years a merchant of that place.  Mr. BARTON is a son of the late David L. BARTON, of Marshall.  In this severe affliction he will have the sympathy of many friends of both families who are so well known and highly respected in Oneida County.

May 6th, Mrs. Nancy Park BEST, widow of the late George BEST, died at her home in New Hartford, yesterday, in the 74th year of her age.  She was an old resident of the village, having lived there about 40 years.  She was a member of the M. E. Church and an estimable Christian woman.  She possessed a very cheerful disposition, and had many friends.  She leaves one daughter, Mrs. F. J. COOK, of this city.

Dr. P. C. BARKER, Special to the New York Times.
Morristown, N. J., Aug. 21. – After an illness of ten days Dr. P. C. BARKER, founder of Morristown Memorial Hospital and dean of the medical profession in this city, died here today.  Dr. BARKER was 68 years old and came to Morristown about forty years ago.  He at once became the leading physician in this city and kept the station over all others ever since.  About 12 years ago he founded a society called the Morristown Memorial Hospital Association, which built the Morristown Hospital, the finest institution of its kind in Northern New Jersey.  Every day of his life up to a week ago Dr. BARKER made a visit to the hospital.  Dr. BARKER has held many political positions in the city government.  He is survived by a widow.

In the town of Kirkland, May 24, 1885, Lucina, wife of Alonzo BARKER, aged 69 years.

(No year given)
In Marshall, N. Y., on Friday, March 25, of pneumonia, Almira PECK BARTON, widow of the late Samuel BARTON, aged 58 years, 3 months, 27 days.

In Marshall, March 22nd, Harriet N., wife of George B. PECK, Esq., and sister of E. D. BUCKINGHAM, aged 45 years.

At Cassville, August 29, 1898, Cortland CASE, aged 81 years and 7 months.  Funeral services will be held at the home of his daughter, Mrs. H. Orville RISING, tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon, Aug. 31, at 2 o’clock.  Friends are respectfully invited to attend.

(No year given)
In this city on the morning of the 6th of October, of consumption, after two years and five months of constant suffering, Lucinda, wife of Cortland CASE, aged 47 years.

Entered into rest, in this city, Monday, Oct.11, 1909, Susan, wife of the late George OBERHIZER, aged 85 years, 6 months and 7 days.  Friends are invited to attend funeral services at the home of her niece, Mrs. GOODWIN WILCOX, corner of Fountain and Chestnut streets, Clinton, N. Y., today (Wednesday) at 3 pm.

Mrs. Susan WELLS, widow of George OBERHIZER, died Monday evening at her home, 197 Lansing Street.  She was born in the town of Augusta, April 4, 1824, and her parents were William and Hannah WELLS.  She had been a resident of this city for three years.  Her marriage to Mr. OVERHIZER occurred about 20 years ago.  Mrs. OVERHIZER was a woman of fine qualities, and had the esteem of all who knew her.  She was a member of the Methodist Church at Clinton, in which town she formerly resided.  She is survived by one brother, W. W. WELLS of Clinton; two nephews, Robert and Ray WELLS of Clinton, and two nieces, Miss Lena WILCOX of Clinton and Mrs. Clara SYMONDS of this city.   The remains will be conveyed to Clinton for interment by Undertaker SLAWSON.

May 27th – Antoinette JONES, for many years a resident of Middle Settlement, died at her home there Monday evening as a result of a paralytic stroke, which she suffered last Saturday.  Miss JONES was born in Orange, N. J., April 13, 1833, a daughter of Charles F. D. and Elizabeth JONES, and went to Utica with her parents in 1838.  She attended private schools in that city, after which she learned dress making.  She had made her home in Middle Settlement since 1844 and had gained a wide circle of friends there.  One brother, J. Lewis JONES of Utica, and a sister, Mrs. Clarissa PALMER of Middle Settlement, survive.

At Clinton, N. Y., Friday afternoon, April 5, 1912, Lester W. BARKER, in his 77th year.  Funeral today (Monday) at 2:30 pm.

(no year) (Partial obit)
------ Patent, but when six years of age she was adopted into the family of the late Orton GRIDLEY of this town and here she grew to womanhood.  She married Mr. CARPENTER February 11, 1869, and he died in 1885.
Mrs. CARPENTER was a member of the Presbyterian Church, in which her husband was for many years the choir leader.  Besides the sister and two stepdaughters mentioned, she leaves a stepson, Edward A. CARPENTER of Elmira.  Her funeral was held at the house yesterday forenoon, and was conducted by Rev. Henry WHITE, pastor of the Stone Church.

Death Last Night of Well known Washington Mills Man
Washington Mills, May 23 – After a lingering illness of more than two years, James Lloyd MARKS died this evening at his home in this village.  Mr. MARKS was stricken with a paralytic stroke in April 1908, and since that time had been confined to the house.  On Wednesday last he was afflicted by another stroke, from which he never rallied.  Mr. MARKS was born in Oswego July 31, 1841.  When a boy, he came to Oneida County and lived in this locality ever since.  He is survived by his wife, Anna BARNS MARKS, and two children, Elizabeth J. MARKS of Yonkers and Howard A. MARKS of Washington Mills; also three brothers, Thomas W. MARKS, W. E. MARKS of New Hartford and Joseph F. MARKS of Waterville, and a sister Mrs. John Dean JONES of New Hartford.  The funeral will be held from his late home on Wednesday afternoon at 2 o’clock.

Anna (Anderson) Trester (1852-1913)
"Rochester Democrat & Chronicle," October 22, 1913. P19.
TRESTER - At the house of her sister, Mrs. Daniel [Hattie] Conway, No. 226 West avenue.  Monday morning, October 20, 1913, Mrs. Anna Trester, wife of Peter Trester.  Besides her husband and sister she leaves one brother, John Anderson of Bridgeport, Conn.
Funeral Thursday, October 22 at 2 o'clock from the house.  Interment in Mount Hope Cemetery.  Utica and Bridgeport papers please copy.
Wendy Scalfaro

Jenette “Nettie” (Anderson) Redhead (1858-1906)
"Rochester Herald,” Nov 12, 1906. P6.
Mrs. Nettie Redhead died yesterday morning at the family home, 17 Richmond Street.  She leaves two sisters, Mrs. Hattie Conway and Mrs. Peter [Anna] Tiesler (sic) of Rochester, and one brother, John Anderson of Bridgeport, Conn.
Wendy Scalfaro

John Anderson (1814-1884)
"Utica Daily Observer," March 8, 1884. P2.
ANDERSON - In this city, Friday, March 7, 1884, JOHN ANDERSON, aged 70 years.
Friends are respectfully invited to attend the funeral, from his late residence, No. 99 Liberty street, to-morrow (Sunday) afternoon at 2, and from the Court street M. E. Church at 2:30 o'clock.
Wendy Scalfaro

John Anderson (1851-1924)
"Rochester Democrat & Chronicle,” March 24, 1924. P23.
ANDERSON - John Anderson died Saturday, in this city.  He is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Lillian Sweeney (sic) of Utica, N.Y.; one sister, Mrs. Hattie Conway of this city; two nieces, Mrs. Cora Stevens, of this city and Mrs. Margaret Moerissey (sic), of Syracuse, N.Y.  The body was removed to Ryan & McIntee's Funeral Chapel, No. 207 Chestnut street, near Monroe avenue.  He was a life member of Bridgeport, Connecticut, Lodge of Elks, No. 36.
Funeral Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from Ryan & McIntee's Funeral Chapel.  Interment in Mount Hope Cemetery.
Wendy Scalfaro

Lillian (Anderson) McSweeney (1879-1961)
"Utica Observer-Dispatch,” May 29, 1961.  P12.
Mrs. Lillian M. McSweeney, 82, of 116 Hedgewood Pl., died in St. Elizabeth Hospital yesterday. She was born in Utica, daughter of John and Jennie Anderson, and was educated in St. John's School. She was married to Patrick McSweeney in 1899.  He died in 1926.
Mrs. McSweeney was a member of St. Peter's Church and its Altar-Rosary Society.
She leaves two daughters, Mrs. Lillian Vayo of Brewer, ME, and Mrs. Geraldine Woodruff of Utica; four sons, Howard of Utica, Stuart of Watertown, Lester of Lakewood and William of Rochester.
The funeral will be at 8:45 Thursday from the Langdon Residential Funeral Home and at 9:30 from St. Peter's Church, where a requiem high Mass will be offered.  Burial will be in Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Whitesboro.
Wendy Scalfaro

Mae (Anderson) Whitworth (abt. 1885-1935)
"Evening Star" (Washington, DC), March 14, 1935.  PA-9.
WHITWORTH, MAE.  On Wednesday, March 13, 1935 at her residence, 1320 North Capitol St. MAE WHITWORTH, beloved wife of Ambrose Lee Whitworth.  Services at the S. H. Hines Co. funeral home, 2901 14th St. N.W. on Friday, March 15 at 10 a.m.  Interment Cedar Hill Cemetery.
[Submitter’s note: Mae Anderson Whitworth may have been born in Utica, NY. Her parents, John and Jennie Anderson lived there until about 1887. Mae’s sister, Lillian Anderson McSweeney of Utica, survived her).
Wendy Scalfaro

Mary Ann (Smith) Anderson (1822-1881)
"Utica Sunday Tribune," August 28, 1881.  P4.
ANDERSON - In this city, August 25, 1881, of heart disease, Mrs. MARY ANN ANDERSON, wife of John Anderson, aged 57 years, and mother of Mrs. Giles [Sarah] Tallman, of Schuyler, and of Mrs. George [Jenette] Redhead of Rochester.
     Our mother waits with loving eyes
     To watch her children c[ome]
     As one by one we'll cross the flood
     To reach her heavenly home.
Funeral from her late residence, 21 State street, to-day (Sunday) at 2 o'clock, and from the Court Street, M. E. Church at 2:30 o'clock.  Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend.
Wendy Scalfaro

Sarah (Anderson) Tallman (1845-1883)
"Utica Daily Observer," January 13, 1883. P1.
TALLMAN - At West Schuyler, Jan. 12th, 1883, SARAH, wife of Giles Tallman and daughter of John and the late Mary E. Anderson, aged 38 years and 7 months.  Funeral Monday, the 15th, from her late residence at 11 o'clock, and from the church on Schuyler Hill at 12.  Friends and acquaintances are invited to attend.
Wendy Scalfaro

William P. McSweeney (1900-1966).
"Rochester Democrat & Chronicle,” January 13, 1966.  P10C.
McSweeney, William P.
William P. McSweeney of 524 Driving Pk. Ave. on Wednesday, Jan. 12, 1966.  He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Mae McSweeney; one son, Gordon W.; one daughter, Mrs. Robert (Ann) Klos; three brothers, Lester, Howard McSweeney of Utica, N.Y., and Stewart of Watertown; two sisters, Mrs. Francis (Lillian) Vayo of Brewer, Maine, Mrs. M. (Geraldine) Woodruff of Utica, N.Y.; three granddaughters also several nieces and nephews.  Mr. McSweeney was a member of the 25 Year Club, Eastman Kodak Company.
Friends may call or (sic) Corbett Funeral Home Inc., 109 West Ave., Friday evening from 7-9, Saturday and Sunday 2-5, 7-9.  Service Monday morning at 11 o'clock.  Interment White Haven Memorial Park.
Wendy Scalfaro

OBITUARY, Peter Trester (1859-1913).
"Rochester Democrat & Chronicle," November 26, 1913. P17.
TRESTER - Monday night, November 24, 1913, at the residence of his sister-in-law, Mrs. Daniel Conway, No. 236 West avenue, Peter Trester.  He is survived by one sister, Mrs. John [Margaret] Bowman of Utica, N.Y.
Funeral Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock.  Interment in Mount Hope Cemetery.
Wendy Scalfaro

Rome Daily Sentinel:  April 10, 1906
Death of an Old and Respected Resident of Lee.
Lee, April 10 -- David Armstrong died at his late residence on Monday afternnon at 3 o'clock after an illness of nearly two years.  Mr. Armstrong was born in the town of Annsville on the 9th day of March, 1834 and was the son of the late George and Delia Walrath Armstrong.  He was one of the leading farmers of the town, owning a farm of 255 acres.  In his younger days he was on the Erie Canal for 20 years.  He was an assessor of the town of Annsville for six successive years and held the confidence and respect of all.  Mr. Armstrong was a well read, kind, whole-souled man and a good neighbor, always willing to help those in trouble and give good advice to all.  He married Jane Richards, daughter of William Richards of Annsville, and ten children were born to them, two dying in infancy.  Besides his wife these children survive Mrs. George Peglow, Mrs. David Eggan and Jay Armstrong of Rome, Mrs. Floyd Ellis of Taberg, Minnie, Charles, James and David, who reside at home.  Also the following brothers and sisters:  William C. Armstrong of Annsville, Alexander of Rome, Mrs. Chas. Clark of Taberg and Alice Russell of Lee.

Rome Daily Sentinel:  January 4, 1921
Resident of Annsville Succumbs to Infirmities of Age -- Had Been Ill Seven Weeks.
Lee, Jan. 4 -- Jane Ann Richards, widow of David Armstrong, died at her home in the town of Annsville this morning at 2 o'clock, being confined to her bed for the past seven weeks.  Death was due to the infirmities of advanced age.   Mrs. Armstrong was born Oct. 17, 1843 in Remsen village being the daughter of Willaim and Mary Richards.  She was a kind and devoted mother and thoughtful of others and will be greatly missed in her home.   Surviving are four sons, Jay Armstrong of Rome, Charles and James at home, David of this place; also four daughters, Mrs. David Egan, Mrs. Geo. Peglow, Miss Minnie Armstrong of Rome and Mrs. Floyd Ellis of Annsville.  There are 15 grandchildren.  The funeral will be held at her late home on Friday at 2 p.m.  Interment at Maple Hill cemetery, Taberg.

Obituary from the Rome Daily Sentinel:  April 2, 1937
Widely Known Manufacturing Employee Had Lived Here All His Life
 Jay John Armstrong, 70, died shortly before noon today at his home, 710 W. Liberty St., following an illness of about a year.
 Mr. Armstrong was born February 23, 1867, a son of the late David and Jane Richards Armstrong and had always lived here.  Forty-three years ago he married Kattie Smith at St. Mary's Church.  He had been employed for the past twenty years by the Rome Manufacturing Division, Revere Copper and Brass Incorporated and prior to that was an expert copper roller for twenty years with the Rome Brass and Copper Company.  He was a communicant of St. Mary's Church and a member of its St. Boniface Society.  He also was a member of the Copper Mill Sick Benefit Association.  Mr. Armstrong was a staunch supporter of the Democratic party but never held office.  Surviving besides his widow are one son, Jesse F.; four sisters, Mrs. Ella Eggan and Mrs. George Peglow, Rome; Mrs. William Stage and Mrs. Floyd Ellis, Lee; and two brothers, David and James, also of Lee.

Obituary from Rome Daily Sentinel:  November 19, 1948
 Death Takes Rome Woman
 Mrs. Kattie Smith Armstrong, 78, widow of Jay Armstrong, died last night at the home of her son, Jessie F. Armstrong, 710 W. Liberty St. Born in Rome, July 20, 1870, she was the daughter of Frederick and Barbara Peterman Smith.  She had always made her home here and was a member of St. Mary's Church and it's Altar Society. In 1893 she was married in St. Mary's Church by the Rev. Peter Schmidt to Mr. Armstrong who died 11 years ago.  She was the last of a family of six children.
 Surviving besides her son are seven grandchildren, Mrs. Harvey Stace, Camden, Mrs. Leonard Young and Mrs. Thomas Henry, both of Rome, Mrs. Howard Coleman, Coonrod, Miss Elizabeth and Miss Roberta Armstrong and Jesse Armstrong Jr., at home; two great-grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.
ARMSTRONG -- Thursday November 18, 1948, Kattie Smith, wife of the late Jay Armstrong, age 78 years.
 Funeral from the Thomas A. Cox Funeral Home, 109 W. Court St., Monday morning at 8:45 and at St. Mary's Church at 9:30 where a solemn requiem high Mass will be celebrated.  Interment in St. Mary's Cemetery.
 Friends may call at the Funeral Home Saturday and Sunday at their convenience.

Obituary from the Rome Daily Sentinel:  Dec. 2, 1904
Fred Smith
Fred Smith, aged 74 years and 6 months, died from general debility at his home on the Verona road just west of the Rome State Custodial Asylum at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday.  He is survived by his wife, two sons and three daughters, Fred and William Smith, Mrs. Jay Armstrong, Mrs. Mary Breen of Rome and Mrs. J. Rehm of Waterville.  He also leaves two sisters, Mrs. John Peterman of Rome and Mrs. Mary Weikert, Utica.
SMITH -- In Rome on Thursday, December 1, 1904, Fred Smith, aged 74 years and 6 months.
 The funeral will be held at his late home on the Verona road near the Rome State Custodial Asylum at 1 p.m. on Sunday and at the German Lutheran Trinity Church on S. James St. at 1:30 o'clock.

Obituary from the Rome Daily Sentinel:  January 3, 1922
Death of Estimable Woman Who Had Resided Here For Many Years
The death of Mrs. Barbara Smith, widow of Fred Smith, occurred at her home, 511 W. Liberty Street, at 11:40 o'clock on Saturday night.  She had been an invalid for many years, her life having been prolonged by the loving care of her daughter, Mrs. Bren, with whom she had made her home for the past 23 years. Her maiden name was Barbara Petterman.  She was born in Germany 88 years ago.  She lived in the town of Rome since she was 15 years old. At the age of 19 she married Fred Smith, who died 17 years ago.  She was a member of St. Mary's Church and was a kindly woman, who had a great many friends.  For a number of years the family lived on their farm near the Rome State School.  The following sons and daughters survive:  Fred and William Smith and Mrs. Mary Bren and Mrs. Kate Armstrong of this city and Mrs. Joseph Rehms of Waterville.  There are also 16 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren.
 SMITH -- In this city on Saturday, December 31, 1921, Barbara Smith in her 88th year.
 Funeral will be held on Wednesday morning from her late home, 511 W. Liberty street, at 9 o'clock and at St. Mary's Church at 9:30.  Interment in St. Mary's Cemetery.

Rome Daily Sentinel:  January 18, 1946
BREEN -- Friday, January 18, 1946, Mary Anna Smith, wife of the late Frank Breen, aged 81 years. Funeral from the Thomas A.  Cox Funeral Home, 109 W. Court St., Monday morning at 8:45 and at St. Mary's Church at 9:30 where a solemn requiem high mass will be celebrated.  Interment in St. Mary's  Cemetery. Friends may call at the Funeral Home Saturday afternoon and Sunday at their convenience.
Rome Daily Sentinel:  January 21, 1946
Mrs. Mary Anna Breen
Funeral services for Mrs. Mary Anna Breen, who died Friday were held at the Thomas A. Cox Funeral Home this morning at 8:45 and at 9:30 at St. Mary's Church.  A solemn requiem high mass was celebrated by the Rev. William J. Ullrich, with the Rev. Donald J. Slimbaugh as deacon and the Rev. Frederick F. Cummings as subdeacon.  Bearers were William Rickard jr., Leo Reagan, Francis Sullivan and Wallace Mayo.  Burial was in the family plot in St. Mary's Cemetery.  There were many floral offerings.

Rome Daily Sentinel:  August 12, 1905
Death at 92
Utica, Aug. 12 -- Mrs. John Schimmel, one of the oldest resident of this city and the oldest member of St. Joseph's Church, died at noon yesterday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John Stiefvater 162 Columbia street.  For more than sixty-five years she had lived in Utica and by all who knew her she was highly respected.  Eva Peterman was born in Hambach, Hese Darmstadt, Germany June 1, 1813.  In March, 1840, in company with her husband, she sailed for this country, the voyage across the Atlantic consuming three months.  Ever since then she had lived in Utica.  She was married to Adam Witzenberger in Germany in 1838, and it was with him that she came to this country.  He died in 1852.  She was married to Joseph Schimmel in 1853.  He died in 1883.  As one of the oldest members of St. Joseph's Church she was one of the earliest members of the Altar Society in which she had kept up her interest until failing health prevented.  She also belonged to the League of the Sacred Heart.  She had a kindly disposition was charitable, and therefore had a great many friends.  She was the mother of 10 children, of whom three survive, John Schimmell, Peter Witzenberger and Mrs. John Stiefvater.  She also leaves thirteen grandchildren, one brother John Peterman of Rome and two sisters, Mrs. Barbara Smith of Rome and Mrs. Frances Naegel of Peoria, Ill.

Rome Daily Sentinel:  November 19, 1915
Was Born in Germany and Came to This Country When 25 Years Old -- Lived in Utica Four Years and Then Came to Rome to Reside.
 The death of John Peterman sr., one of Rome's oldest and best known residents, occurred at the home of his son, John J. Peterman, 507 W. Liberty street, at 9 o'clock this morning, aged 90 years.  Mr. Peterman was born in Hambach, Germany, on Jan. 14, 1825.  He came to this country when he was a young man of 25, locating in Utica, where he remained four years, thence coming to Rome where he had since resided.  In Utica in 1852 Mr. Peterman was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth M. Smith, who died in this city in 1905.  Notwithstanding his advanced age Mr. Peterman enjoyed good health until about two years ago, when he suffered a slight stroke.  he had felt the effects of this ever since, but was able to be about until four months ago, since which time he had been confined to his bed.  Mr. Peterman was a man of quiet and unassuming manner and by his pleasing dispositon he made a host of friends who will regret his death.  he was a faithful member of St. Mary's Church and a charter member of St. Boniface's Society connected therewith.   He is survived by five children, John J. Peterman, Mrs. Charles Schneible and Mrs. J. P. Schneible of Rome; Mrs. John T. Burton of Utica and Mrs. Fred Gillis of Oneida.  He also leaves one sister, Mrs. Barbara Smith, 511 West Liberty street, this city.

Rome Daily Sentinel:  March 20, 1905
Mrs. John Peterman.
 Mrs. Elizabeth Peterman, wife of John Peterman, died at her home, 507 W. Liberty street, on Saturday afternoon after an illness of several years.  For the past three months she had been confined to her bed.  Mrs. Peterman, daughter of the late Peter and Margaret Smith, was born in Bavaria on June 4, 1831, and came to this country in 1851, residing for a time in Utica.  She removed to Rome about forty years ago.  She was married to Mr. Peterman in Utica in 1852.  Mrs. Peterman was a faithful member of St. Mary's Church and of the Altar and Christian Mothers' Societies of that church.  Beside the husband there survive five children:  John J. Peterman, Mrs. Charles Schneible, Mrs. Joseph Schneible and Mrs. Frances Toepp of Rome and Mrs. John Burton of Utica, and one sister, Mrs. Mary Weikert of Utica.

Rome Daily Sentinel:  April 16, 1926
Native and Lifelong Resident of Rome -- Was Long in the Drug Business.
John J. Peterman, 507 W. Liberty street, died early this morning after a lingering illness of three years' duration.  During the past week the condition of Mr. Peterman had grown steadily more serious until the end at 2:45 o'clock.  Complications had set in which hastened his death.   Mr. Peterman was born in Rome, son of the late John and Elizabeth Smith Peterman, 64 years ago.  He always maintained his residence in this city, where he was widely known and esteemed.   Practically all of his life was spent in the drug business in Rome.  For a number of years he was associated with P. D. Ackley, druggist, in the spring of 1912 going into the business for himself under the firm name of John J. Peterman Co., in the former Bissel drug store.  He continued there until ill health forced his retirement three years ago.   He was married in this city in 1887 to Elizabeth Waters, the ceremony being performed by the late Rev. Aloysius Murphy in the old St. Peter's Church.  Surviving are his wife, four sisters, Mrs. John Burton, Utica; Mrs. Charles Schneible and Mrs. Joseph Schneible, Rome and Mrs. Frederick Gillis, Syracuse, and several nieces and nephews.  An only son, Frank J. died in 1908.  Mr. Peterman was a faithful member of St. Mary's Church, and was an active worker in affairs pertaining to the church and school.  He was a member of the board of trustees of the church and of St. Mary's cemetery association, and belonged to Rome Council, 391, Knights of Columbus.   He possessed many friends in this city and vicinity, who will moun his passing.

Rome Daily Sentinel:  November 3, 1943
Lee Center
William Roe Stage Succumbs at Hospital
Lee Center, Nov. 3 -- William Roe Stage, resident of Lee Center for 26 years, died yesterday in the Rome Hospital after an illness of two weeks.  Born in Middletown, Jan. 28, 1880, he was the son of William R. and Mary Bullon Stage.  In 1926 he married Minnie A. Armstrong in Lee Center.  Employed at the General Cable until his illness he was a member of the Methodist Church and Baron Steuben Lodge, F.&A. M.   Surviving are two sister, Mrs. Iren Hanes, Middletown, and Mrs. Mabel Reynolds, Ashtabula, Ohio; one brother Hiram Stage, Middletown and several nieces and nephews.

Camden Advance Journal:  June 2, 1949
 Mrs. Minnie Stage, 74, Dies Suddenly
 LEE, June 2, -- Mrs. Minnie Stage, 74, died suddenly at her home here Tuesday evening, May 24. She was the daughter of the late David and Jane Richards Armstrong and was born in Lee April 8, 1875. At Lee Center in 1926 she was married to William Stage, who died Nov. 2, 1943. Mrs. Stage was a member of the Lee Methodist Church and the W. S. C. S. of the church.  Surviving are two brothers, James Armstrong, who resided with Mrs. Stage, and David Armstrong of Taberg and several nieces and nephews.  Funeral services were held at her late home at 2 p.m. Friday with the Rev. Frank Smith, pastor of Lee Methodist Church, officiating.  Mrs. Earl Hall and Mrs. Jessie Rood sang, "The Old Rugged Cross."  Charles and Francis Armstrong, Lynn Eggan, Richard Ellis, Howard Peglow and Lester Newman, all relatives, acted as bearers.  Interment was made in Maple Hill Cemetery at Taberg.  There were flowers from the W. S. C. S. of the Methodist Church, the bonus accounting department of Revere Copper and Brass, Inc. , relatives, neighbors and friends.

Rome Daily Sentinel:  Jan. 31, 1901
Conducted a Book Store Here for Many Years -- A Prominent Democrat -- Had Held Various Offices
The death of Jonas W. Armstrong occurred at 6:45 p.m. on Wednesday at his home, 327 W. Thomas street.  On Saturday he was down street and in the evening was taken with the grip, which on Tuesday affected his brain and caused death. Mr. Armstrong was a son of Mr. and Mrs. George Armstrong and was born in Annsville 53 years ago.  His father was one of the oldest settlers of that town and his great grandfather, Archibald Armstrong was one of the pioneer settlers of Rome.  The deceased received his education in the district schools of his native town and also for a time attended the Rome Academy.  While a resident of Annsville he was employed in the general store of Giles & Miller at Camden for two years and during his leisure time he devoted himself to pursuing his studies and eventually secured a teacher's certificate and taught school for several terms in Annsville.  About 35 years ago the deceased came to Rome from Franklin Iron Works, where he had been manager and secured an appointment as canal collector which position he held for several years.  In 1855 Oliver C. Grosvenor established a book, stationary and wall paper business at 111 W. Dominick street.  This establishment was sold to E.H. Shelley, passing into the hands of Jonas W. Armstrong and William R. Jones, under the name of Jones & Armstrong, in 1875.  This firm continued in business up to the year 1895, when Mr. Jones retired, the title then becoming the J.W. Armstrong Co.
     Mr. Armstrong was a well-read man, an interesting conversationalist, and one who always took an active interest and part in the politics of the day.  He was a staunch Democrat and was frequently a delegate to the various conventions of his party.  He was for two terms a member of the Fire and Police Board, receiving his appointment May 31, 1890, succeeding the late John G. Bissell, and had also served as school commissioner.  He held the position of loan commisioner for about three years during the administration of Gov. Flower.   The surviving relatives are his wife, Mrs. Nancy Tibbitts Armstrong, whom he married twenty-one years ago the 17th of last December, and four children, Arthur T., Walter J., Perry M. and Herbert L. Armstrong, all residents of this city.  The deceased also leaves four brothers, and two sisters, William and David of Annsville, Henry of Wyaconda, Mo., and Alexander of West Rome; Mrs.Mary Clark of Taberg and Mrs. Robert Russell of Lee.  Mr. Armstrong was a member of Roman Lodge No. 223, F. and A.M., Fort Stanwix Chapter, No 153, R.A.M. and Rome Commandery, No 45, K.T., and also a member of Armstrong Legion, Select Knights, from whom that legion took its name.   The death of Mr. Armstrong comes a sudden blow to his family and to the community, as very few knew of his illness, and even by his own family it was not considered serious until Tuesday when his mind began to fade and from that time he failed rapidly.

Obituary from Utica Daily Press:  July 5, 1938
Fire sirens screeched downtown yesterday afternoon as Jim Donovan, for 37 years a member of the Fire Bureau, answered his last alarm.  As death came to "Jim" in St. Elizabeth Hospital, where he lay critically ill for more than two weeks, the men he worked with  for years as a fireman, lieutenant, captain and finally deputy chief, roared out of the engine houses he knew so well, in response to a bell he never will hear again.  James J. Donovan, 63, 1634 Brinckerhoff, retired June 20, 1928, is the way he appears on the Fire Bureau records.  But to thousands of Uticans to whom he personified the Fire Bureau he was known as "Jim" Donovan, a cheerful, rotund, hearty soul with a friendly smile and a sharp Irish wit.  While his work in recent years as chief inspector of the Fire Prevention Committee kept him busy preventing fires before they happened rather than rushing to put them out, Donovan in his time earned an enviable reputation as a firefighter. His career sponsored the development of the bureau from the horse-cart days to the most modern motorized apparatus.  In that time -- from Dec. 1, 1900 to 1938 -- Donovan had a hand in fighting all the big fires that swept Utica before the present era of rigid fire prevention made a big blaze a rarity.  However, his rescues and the brave actions of his earlier, smoke-eating days are unchronicled for he was as reluctant to talk about his exploits in the Fire Bureau as he was about his experiences in the Spanish-American War.  He served in Battery K. Fifth Artillery.  But he would always stop to talk about the early days in the department, of the handicaps and the fun of  the old days:  and when his "boys" made a good stop, he was glad to tell of their work. Deputy Chief Donovan was born in this city.  He was educated in the old Assumption Academy and later learned the trade of machinist.  Upon his return from Spanish-American War service, he was appointed to the Fire Bureau and started with No. 2 Truck, then stationed in Cooper St. When No. 7 Engine House was opened to West Utica Feb. 1, 1906, Donovan was promoted to lieutenant and transferred to the new house.  He went back to No. 2 Truck Aug. 1, 1909, as captain and later served in No. 2 Chemical Company and at Central Fire Station.  He made a deputy chief July 18, 1916.  In 1925, when Saftey Commissioner Sullivan was made fire chief, Donovan was appointed chief inspector of the Fire Prevention Bureau, continuing in that post until ill health forced him to retire last month. Donovan was active in the Lisourn-Wheeler Camp, Spanish-American War Veterans, serving as commander and holding offices in the state organization.  He was prominent in the Fire Bureau Officers Association and the Fireman's Benevolent Association in which he held several offices. He was a member of St. John's Church and of its Holy Name Society.  He was a member also of Utica Lodge 22, BPOF, and Utica Council 189, Knights of Columbus of which he was past warden.  The Knights will gather at his home tomorrow night at 7:30 to recite the rosary.  He married twice.  His first wife died many years ago and in 1932 he married Miss Margaret Murphey who survives with a daughter, Margaret Ann.
    He leaves three sisters, Mrs. Mary A. Scanlon and Mrs. William Brixius, Utica; Mrs. Jesse Armstrong, Rome; three brothers John, William and Ald. Gerald F. Donovan, Utica.

Obituary from the Utica Daily Press:  December 11, 1944
J.D. Donovan Dies; Retired Fire Officer
John D. Donovan, 62, retired lieutenant in the Utica Bureau of Fire, house officer with the First Bank & Trust Company and more recently chief gaurd at the Utica Drop Forge & Tool Company, died Dec. 10, 1944, in his home, 1607 DePeyster, after a three-month illness.  He was a brother of the late Deputy Chief James Donovan.   He was born in Utica, son of the late Michael and Ellen Dorney Donovan.  After attending Assumption Academy he enlisted in the Army, serving with the 13th Cavalry for three years during which he served with the Sixth Regiment on the Island of Luzon in the Phillippines.  The late MayorRichard W. Sherman named Dnovan to the Fire Bureau Feb. 1, 1906, and he was assigned to No. 6 Engine Company.  He later served with Nos. 5, 9 and 7?.  On Aug. 15, 1915, he was named lietenant. Lieutenant Donovan retired Sept. 24, 1926, and soon afterward became house officer of the First bank & Trust Company, serving until 1941.  For the past three years he had been captain of guards at the Utica Drop Forge & Tool Company. In 1908 he married Miss Agnes Amrhein of this city in St. Joseph's Church.  He was a  member of the Church of the Blessed Sacrament, the Holy Name Society and E. H. Liscum-O. Ross  Wheeler Camp 33, United Spanish War Veterans.  Surviving besides Mrs. Donovan are a son, John A.; a daughter, Mrs. Bernard Solan, Utica; four grandchildren, two brothers, William P. and Alderman Gerald F. Donovan; two sisters Mrs. William Brixius, Utica and Mrs. Jesse Armstrong, Rome, and several nieces and nephews.   Funeral services will be at 9 a.m. Wednesday from his late home and from the Church of the Blessed Sacrament at 9:30 with interment in Mt. Olivet Cemetery.

Obituary from Utica Daily Press:  December 20, 1937
Michael J. Donovan, 51, general superintendent of WPA projects, died in his home, 1116 Leeds, Saturday night of heart attack. He was born in Utica, son of the late Michael J. and Ellen Donovan.  He was a member of St. Agnes Church and its Holy Name Society.  Prior to his WPA appointment he had been employed as an inspector in the city engineer's office.  He leaves his wife; four brothers, Deputy Fire Chief James J. Donovan, John D. Donovan, William P. Donovan and Gerald F. Donovan; three sisters, Mrs. John A. Scanlon, Mrs. William Brixius, Utica, and Mrs. Jessie Armstrong, Rome.

Obituary from Utica Daily Press:  February 16, 1945
Mrs. W. H. Brixius
Mrs. William H. Brixius, 1628 St. Jane, died Feb. 14, 1945, at St. Elizabeth Hospital.  Ellen Donovan was born in Utica, a daughter of the late Michael and Ellen Dorney Donovan, and always lived here.  She was married Sept. 10, 1910, to William H. Brixius in St. John's Church.  She was a member of Blessed Sacrament Church and its Altar Society.  Surviving are her husband, two daughters, Mrs. John Dillon and Miss Helen V. Brixius, both of Utica; a sister, Mrs. Jesse Armstrong, Rome; two brothers, William P. and Gerald Donovan, both of Utica, and two grandchildren.  The funeral will be tomorrow from the home and at Blessed Sacrament Church.  The body will be placed in St. Agnes Cemetery vault, and burial made in Mt. Olivet Cemetery in the spring.

Morgan W. McCook, 35, died April 29, 1954 in Utica, NY.
He was born Aug 18, 1918 in Cadwell, Ga.; son of Albert and Elma Hall McCook.  He married Jeanne McCauley on Feb. 11, 1949, and they came to Utica about a year ago.
He served in the US Navy during WW II.
Besides his wife, he leaves 2 daughters, Gail and Karen, and two sons, Weyman and Keith.
The funeral will be from the Eannace Funeral Home, 907 Third Ave, at the convenience of the family.  He will be interred at New Forest Cemetary.

Obit in Syracuse Post Standard newspaper on Dec. 18, 1906; page 12; with a picture:
"ROME WOMAN HAD NEARLY REACHED 100 Finished knitting a pair of stockings only last Saturday.
Special to the Post-Standard.
Rome, Dec. 17.--Mrs Sarah Seely Grant, widow of John B. Grant, died this morning at the home of her son, Rev. A. J. Grant. She had no illness, death being the result of old age and a general wearing out of the system. She was apparently as well as usual last evening when she retired. At 5:30 o'clock  this morning she was thought to be sleeping soundly and half an hour later
it was discovered that she was dead, the body being yet warm.       Mrs. Grant's maiden name was Sarah Seely. She was born in Stamford, Conn., July 7, 1808. Her father, Jehue Seely, moved to Lafayette, this state, when she was quite young. He fought for America throughout the war of 1812 and was present at the engagement at Sackets Harbor.     Mrs. Grant went to church in Onondaga county and at an early age joined the Methodists. The family lived on the site of the city of Syracuse. There
were then no regular hours of worship in the township, services being conducted in an old log schoolhouse.     Her father was a British sympathizer during the Revolution and would not fight on the American side. Her husband assisted to put upon the tracks
the first car ever constructed for a railroad in this state. The car was brought down from Albany to Syracuse by bob sleds. It was taken to Geres lock, near Belle Isle, the then eastern terminus of what is now known as the Auburn branch of the Central. The railroad was then called the Syracuse & Rochester Road.     Mrs. Grant possessed an accurate and retentive memory up to the last.  Her sight was good and only on Saturday she completed knitting a pair of stockings for her grandson. She was about the house as usual  yesterday and her health up to the last had been considered excellent.    Mr. Grant died in North Western, this county in 1895 at the age of 93 years. They were married in 1826 in Onondaga county. She was the last of a family of six children. For the past thirty years she had made her home with her son, who moved to Rome from North Western three months ago     Mrs. Grant is survived by the following children: Anna Eliza Bass of Schenectady; Amazi S. Grant of Sand Lake, Mich.; Rev. A. J. Grant of Rome; Newman H. Grant of Hastings, Oswego county; Rev. Luman A. Grant of Syracuse.   A service  will be held at the home of Mr. Grant tomorrow evening and the body will be taken to Hastings the next day for funeral and interment."